TOA PAYOH mummies

dor,
thanks.. i think it will be perfect if i have a bigger place.

sunny,
thanks but weekend are family time, so sorry.. thats y only do it on weekdays. anyway its just a playgrp, i think ur kid would get better activities at the ccc. mine is just for the kids to pass time..
happy.gif

precious,
yes outing is once a mth. we will start on the 4th may. 25th may is the zoo outing for May and the friday that week is vesak day so no lesson. u wanna bring ur boy to join? but 请不要见笑 leh..

precious,
i emailed u the details le..
happy.gif
请不要见笑 cos u r the 1 trained in early childhood education right? cos i've never done this before so my maiden try.. hope its not too amatuerish

me! i join too for my younger boy! hmmm if you don mind i can open my home too but only if you don mind the mess leh! hahahah but think also not much bigger then your place. :p

Ivy - your girl in infant care or childcare? And the ones who kena HFMD are the infants or the children?

If Infant care and it's the infants who kena, then clearly it's the teachers' hygiene issue (pass the germs when they go from one baby to another). Unless of course one or more infants are very mobile already and can run around like toddlers and play with one another. Better check with the centre so there's no repeat. When my girl was in infant section, I was v comfortable leaving her in the centre even during HFMD season cos I could see that the teachers were being very careful. There was no interaction with the kids or even the other teachers from the childcare side.

Orangeymum - no problems. Understand.

If you run out of ideas for arts and crafts, do let me know. Can show you what girl is doing at CC. We get all the crafts/worksheets etc sent home at the end of every week.

Char and Precious, thanks. Wil try the lying down position. I am already like going to give up latching him on liao since he just suck for comfort not for food and falling asleep on me... Sigh....

Oh Yah, Precious, let me know what you did to get your girl to sleep on her bed in her room? I am trying to do that for the older boy. He simply refused. I am too worn out now, so not fighting any battle until I am ready. No point for me to fight the battle half-heartedly, else it will send very mixed signal to my boy and get him confused.

Orangegymum, bravo. If my kid is about that age, I will definitely join you.

orangeymum

whar i just saw the program! :p really take my hat off to you. heheh if only i am as good. now i know why i am not a teacher. ahhaha

any time you want to use my place just let me know.
happy.gif
also my maid will be back on the 27th~! yah! heheh no need to do housework already! i am going to go on leave (as in housework leave and leave away from the children) hahhaha!!!!

eunice,
it is me who let my girl sleep on her own bed in her own room. b4 i got her a bed, i told her that she is already 3yo, big girl liao so it's time to sleep by herself. i then asked her if she wants a bed and she said yes. so when the bed arrived (we just bought her an adult single sized bed) we kept saying how nice the bed looks and how that she's got her own bed now like her grandpa.

then on the 1st night, i used supernanny method. i sat on the floor near her bed until she fell asleep with the door open. during that time, do not make eye contact nor let the child strike conversation with you. each time she wants to talk i jus say "go and sleep". each night, i sit further away from the bed until i'm sitting outside her bedroom door. once outside the door, the objective is to leave the door ajar but i didn't do that. i just let her sleep with the door open all this while.

as for handling crying in the middle of the night, supernanny suggests to use control crying method. but make sure you know how to identify what type of cry. if it's the frightened or not feeling well kind of cry then quickly go into the room to attend to the child. if it's those attention seeking type then dun go in immediately but wait for a while. for me, i waited 1 min b4 i entered my gal's room and spent 1-2mins with her comforting her, telling her that all the children are sleeping now. even grandpa is sleeping by himself in his own room. mummy & daddy are in the other room, that we didnt abandon her. but do not carry the child, just talk n comfort him/her, rubbing thier back is also fine. after 1-2mins is up, leave the room. the next time my gal cried again, i waited 3mins b4 i entered her room. spend only 1-2mins in the room with your child but extend the time to enter the room each time he/she cries. it took my gal about 2wks plus to get used to it and she has stopped crying in the middle of the night this past week. that's also becos i use reward system. each night she didn't cry i'd give her a piece of chocolate. even till now, i'll remind her b4 she sleeps not to cry at night but to just sleep. only when the sun comes out then she can come and find me in my room. hope it works for your older boy.

sorry for being so long winded.
happy.gif

Char
Your girl doesn't get out of bed and out of the room to look for you?

My tod wont wait for me to come to her especially if the door is open. She will come off her mattress and out the door looking for me!

sunny,
she did come into my room after waiting for quite some time so gotta bring her back into her own room and comfort her.

Orangeymum, good luck on your newly established playgroup! Haha! I tried that with my friend once, lasted for about half a year. We took turns running the programme (she's a teacher too). Had 4 kids (two of our own and 2 from mutual friends who were FTWM). Ran 3 times a week. In the end, felt really drained out, and my friend was preparing to go back into FT teaching so we ended and sent our kids to the nursery.

Elijah mummy,
o means ur maid come back then u no need to fetch ur #1?

Sunny,
thanks for the contribution.. Sorry that I can't do it on sats

jfoo,
ya 3 times a week really tiring. I hope to carry out till November holidays. Then next yr Chel will go N1 already. Din managed to get ascension AM, chose Calvary Baptist Church also nearby potong pasir mrt, nearby my new place too..

sort of. heheh! but as of now am so tired out that i would just love to drop off my boys anywhere.... :p

sigh the 2years old really bring bad and good days!
my patience has been tested to the max!

Hi Char, sorry, got mixed up. Your method is very good, thanks for the detailed description. When I feel up to it, I will start carrying it out according to your description. I bought a thomas and friend bedsheet, thinking tht he will like it and sleep on it. But too bad, he just refused. Two nites before I was due, I slept with him and went back to my bed. But he came to me in the middle of the nite, crying mummy, climbing into our bed. I was too tired then, and just tell him mummy is here, ok you can sleep here. Bad move. After that, he refused to sleep on his own. After my baby pop, he got real jealous whenever he saw me carrying baby brother. Like yesterday, I was carrying the baby on my left hand sleeping on the bed, and he was sleeping on my right. He demanded that I pat him with my left hand. Alamak!

Precious, the lying down method din work for me. I guess I am very tired still. Once I lie down on the bed with baby, all fell asleep. Baby was very comortable sleeping with me and din cry even though he din have milk. Guess I have to give up trying to latch him on directly.

Eunice
It would take a while. My daughter took 4 mths to adapt and accept his little brother. I tried to use pump but it did not work well for me. So no choice, have to let him latch directly. However I do enjoy this "special moment"

eunice,
letting your child sleep with you on your bed is a big no no. hmmm...i guess you have to try again when you feel it's the right time. for me, i'm in my 1st trimester so decided to train her b4 the baby arrives.

Precious, I would prefer to let my baby latch directly. It saves the trouble of pumping and washing and sterilising milk bottles and heating up milk. But I was not successful for both babies. Bobian both of them were hospitalised and got used to bottle feeding. So by the time they come back to me, they dun cooperate with me :-(

Char, no choice, I was staying at my mum's place for almost a year before we found the new place and only moved in like 1 week before I was due. Stressful period for me then cos I got to do unpacking, cleaning up, getting baby things ready, preparing the confinement things... So all this while, the boy has been sleeping with us at mum's place. Now we have to retrain liao.

Got lots of battle to fight but seems to be losing the battle, trying to get the baby to latch on directly, getting the older boy to sleep on his own, feeding himself

Eunice, the timing for everything didn't quite work in your favour, huh? Everything at the same time. Yes, gonna be difficult for your older one to sleep on his own cos he wants a part of you, knowing that the younger one gets this "privilege". Think you'll have to do it slowly now otherwise it's gonna have a negative impact. Char's doing the right thing, training early before the baby arrives. But no worries, never too late, just need more time and patience. How about trying once a week first? Fix on a certain day whereby he'll have to sleep on his own, give him an incentive of some sort, like every Thu you sleep on your own, therefore you get to choose what your dinner menu, or you get to have an extra helping of your fav food, something along those lines. Slowly add on another night, then another, but at the same time start taking away the incentives.

Dunno whether that would work but theoretically, it should, haha! But every child is different, have to slowly work it out. Main thing is, not to send negative messages at this time when both you and your son are adjusting to a new situation - having an extra member in the family

j_foo,
your idea sounds great! eunice, it's worth a try! but maybe first thing is to try to help your older boy to establish a bond with his brother and you as well. i think once the bonding is there, slowly training him to sleep by himself may be easier. good luck!

Char
Congrats!

J_foo
#1 used to sleep inside her own room till #2 arrived. Now have to wait till #2 is much older, then have to train both of them not to sleep inside my room. Do your two kids sleep together? And do you close the door when they sleep? What if they want to go to the bathroom middle of the night?

Eunice
Yes, it takes a lot of determination.
I almost wanted to give up when I breastfed my #1.
Imagine my milk flow only started on the 5th week.
Decide which is more comfortable for you, it is important you must have enough rest so that you have the strength and energy to attend the 2 children.
I'm planning to stop breastfeeding once #2 turns 1yr old. Hopefully I can succeed.

precious,
thnx! hopefully this time round the pregnancy will be successful. thank God, so far everything looks positive. the fetus seems to be growing and it has a steady heartbeat. i'm in my 9th week. anyway abt your #1, i rembr u mentioned b4 that u managed to get her to sleep by herself in her own room when you were expecting your #2. i was wondering how come your #1 came to sleep same room wit u. now i know why. aiyo, i hope my gal doesn't do that when #2 comes along else all my effort wasted. but then my room is too small to put a cot inside so my plan now is to let both kids sleep together. aiyo, still too early to tell, will play by ear.
happy.gif

Char
We were very sensitive, and paid much attention to her when #2 arrived. We did not want to let her feel neglected that why #2 sleeps inside my room, and yet she has to sleep in her own room, so eventually we allowed her to move her bed inside our room. Now my room has 1 queen size bed, one baby cot and one toddler bed. And have another baby cot in the living room.

stylobb,
thnx. EDD is nov. ya handling my gal by myself with the nausea and all. i must say i'm so guilty of just letting her watch tv for now while i lie down to rest or play computer games to try to distract myself from the nausea. and also can't wait for hb to come back from work to take over. my house is a mess as well.

Char,
Congrats!! so easy for some of u to conceive #2 leh and am still trying hard. With all the travelling plus to find a suitable time to mate heehee! Guess its tough sigh...but then again never give up till i decide to 'close shop'.

Mummies, thanks for the contribution for how to train tods to sleep alone. It's really a good reference.

Precious, Beatrice is sleeping on her own but Jayden is sleeping with me. Have been wanting to move him to his own room but currently his room is occupied by my MIL (LONG story...), anyway, I know I'll have a hard time getting him to move to his own room cos he's so sticky! So far have managed to get him to sleep on his own without us accompanying him, cuddling him etc, and that is a major step, haha! I do close Beatrice's and my bedroom door but if she does need the toilet, she'll come over to my room. I did contemplate putting the two kids in the same room, and I have a feeling that would be easier to move Jayden if I told him that he'd be sleeping with the sis, but because they're of different sex, I thought sooner or later they would have to split, so might as well be sooner.

I've heard many cases whereby #2 arrives, #1 will want to sleep in the same room as the parents despite having been sleeping in a different room in the first place. Luckily, Beatrice was alright. I guess because she was older (she was 4 when Jayden arrived) so I suppose she understood? I explained to her that Jay, being a baby, would be waking up every now and then to get his feed, and I didn't want that to disrupt her sleep, so I guess that explanation was sufficient. But once in a while, I did let her come over to sleep in our room, didn't want her to feel "left out".

dor,
thnx. it wasn't easy for me to conceive too but after some hard work, ta da! but hor, i'm pretty sure i'll close shop after this. i can't tahan going through the nausea and having to look after kids at the same time. i've not been doing any housework at all so ya, if i do get a PT helper it is to help keep the house clean. my hb is also very tired after work to do the housework but i'm grateful that he takes over to look after our gal.

sunny, it was from a toddler spread to her sister 12mths old in infant care, and the 12 yrs old is mobile i think spread to a boy in rocker.. how i dunno.. i suspect could be teacher. I have stay home with her for a week. Unfortunately she got a super bad flu fever, so much phlegm the nose mucus keep flowing, she cannot breath, cannot suck milk, my breast she also dun wan. I carry her upright in order to sleep, im so exhausted. Is there any home remedy? Im giving her medication, but wonder if there is anything else i can do for her.

ivy,
i know what you mean, my gal was like that too. it was quite painful to see her sleep becos the phlegm will irritate her and she'd wake up crying. u can try to apply some baby vicks on her chest. did the doc prescribe nose drops? i use the brand Otrivin and find it pretty effective. my gal's PD also suggest to use sea water nasal spray as well. both can be bought from pharmacy. use the sea water spray first to clear the nose then put nose drops.

char, ya yesterday she was latching halfway and threw up, with so much vomit on her, on me, on my breast, she still try to latch. So poor thing, she is so hungry cos havent been eating well due to need to use mouth to breath. My heart breaks into many pieces tat moment, i cry ... sigh.

Yes PD did give me otrivin, and the sea water spray, as her mucus was suck at the PD too, now she hate it whenever we touch her nose, think she phobia liao. I got put vicks on her feet and back.

ivy,
it's like that, they surely dun like us to touch their nose but no choice, still gotta put the nose spray and nose drops. do suction also good in a way cos at least she can breathe better. is your gal's PD dr heng?

J_foo, yup, the timing is very bad for me. Havn't been able to spend time with the older boy since the renov started till now. During the period from the reno till moving in, it was really tough. My stomach feel very stressed during the perod and my gynae reminded me then that I was pregnant and not to over stretch myself. Thank God baby came out well. Thanks for your idea.

Char, thanks for the reminder too on the bonding. And congrats to your pregnancy!

Precious, yes, thanks. Hopefully when the baby is bigger and not use his tongue to block, I can let him try latching on agagin. In the hospital, I tried to latch him on but he also refused. The nurses told me I have done everything right and my flow is good, there is no reason tht the baby should not be able to feed direct. However, as he seems to get dehydrated, the baby doctor advises to have the baby bottle feed. Baby health is more impt so we let him to be bottle fed. Now just have to try again at home. But as I am concerned that he doesn't get dehydrated, I still bottle feed him after latching him on for one hour. He finishes up all the milk which implies that he must have been sucking for comfort. Just have to pray that the baby will be able to latch on at the right timing.

char

congrats! :p having lazy sunday!
hehe if you do need any time off, can drop your gal at my place no worries!
happy.gif
hehe last 3 days before the maid is back yah!!!!

precious

:p did not know your gal back to sleep with you! sigh now am not even considering moving my boy out of my room yet..... coz i have noticed that he will copy the actions of his younger brother just to get our attention! imagine #1 crawling all around the house screaming! :s

ivy

poor gal! consider less latching time but more frequently to help ease the hunger. easier for baby to digest too.... coz when they are down with flu they don know how to sneeze out only swallow all the phlegm and mucus.

plus point to bad experience...

vomit also is good though it looks very painful (i too cried many nights over this). help bring out the phlegm in the stomach. better breathing after each vomit session.
happy.gif

eunice

don give up.
happy.gif
bfing is something good, and all this will be fond memories in time to come.

now as to why baby finishes up bottle after latching... here is my 2 cents worth

as with the bottle and why he finishes it, could be that there is a constant flow and not coz he is drinking for food. i remember this instance when my cl insisted that baby was hungry but not crying just because baby finished all the milk in the bottle even after latching (insisted that my milk supply was not good even though i could easily pump out 100mls each time- logic is that the milk was too watery). after 15mins baby vomited all the milk out as he was overfed! as long as there is a teat, baby will suck.
happy.gif
only diff is that they can stop milk flow if its on your breast but not for the bottle.

eunice/jasmine,
thnx.

eunice,
hopefully you're able to find a solution to your bf'ing prob.

jasmine,
i think i should start to bring my gal to your plc more often to get her used to you guys in case the day i pop and i need to rush to hosp, i can drop her off at your place while waiting for my mum or dad to fetch her. can or not? :p

I have a colleague's friend selling her unit at Braddell View. Do contact me if you do have any friends/colleagues/relatives looking in this location. It is 99-years leasehold development, unblock view, north south facing, 3bedrooms, 1453sqft. Thanks in advance.
happy.gif

char, manage to read thru all the old post. CONGRATS!! My pd is dr ong from aglow, tat day thurs noon they close i panic sia, sms rae, my hubby also call her to ask which other PD to consider haha. So btw Toa payoh which PD u all recommend , i cant find the old thread tat we talk abt leh.

elijah, ya lor, now i rather she vomit out the phlegm, this few days she keep coughing but the phlegm cannot come out.

sunny, got ur breastfeeding mail, thanks! I will persist as long as i can. But hard to pump at office.. headache sia.

ivy,
thnx. the PD i used to bring my gal to is dr heng, her clinic is called children's clinic located at blk 177 toa payoh central. now that my gal is 3yo i bring her to see GP. babies passageways are so small and narrow that it's hard for the phlegm to clear. i know how you feel, my gal was prone to getting bronchiolitis and she fell sick every mth since she was 1.5mo and every time she was sick she had lots of phlegm & had to be nebulised. only when she was 2yr+ close to 3 that i noticed that she fell sick less often and her phlegm is easier to clear.

Char,
ya my girl seems to have signs of bronchitis, today going back to see Dr ong. I went to the children clinic tat day, cos rae also tell me to go there.. but CLOSE! wah panic, end up go mt alvernia dr chan sbcc, but i find her so so only. So decide to go back to dr ong the next day.

Back