TOA PAYOH mummies

So far I only know VitaKids carry this brand. Outlets at Utd Sq, Paragon and Millenia Walk. Alternatively is to order online.

edufarm require the parents to pay for the June n Dec school fees even though its school holiday? Are the rest of the schools the same??

HI rlrenn

For ascension, June and Dec no need to pay sch fee. They follow the MOE term, ie 10 weeks per term.

BUt if you are taking sch bus, then you have to pay for the month of June and Dec, even if there is no school.

sunny,
i give my gal multi-vit that contains lysine whc helps stimulate appetite cos my gal's appetite is poor. it's called appelin B12 syrup. comes in a blue and white bottle and can be bought from pharmacy.

hi mummies, i'm considering to let my kid go for enrichment classes..
But quite clueless, can i ask which phonics school/class did you
send your child to? Can share with me?

Thanks very much! :>

Hi Charmer, my son is a picky eater, appetite is poor too. Sighz.
Think i will go get the appelin B12 syrup too, thanks for sharing~
happy.gif

sgal,
JTS here are some of my guideline when choosing a childcare/playgrp:
- conducive env.
- location preferably near your area considering you have to ferry your child to and fro in long run.
- trs. and children ratio shld at least follow MOE standard
- Principal and trs. attitude
- cleanliness
- curriculum
- Infant/Todd are separated from the older kids
- weekly menu
Hope the above helps.

Hi Charsiew,
I would recommend GUG @ united sq (nearer) or Suntec (rather new). My gal and I enjoyed the lesson furthermore they emphasis a lot on phonics too.

wow Sgal the thread on Ascension and Newton are eye-openers.

Any other mummies here have the same experience as tinkerbell with Ascension?

Hi Mummies
Been bz these two weeks...

dor
My boy is in K2... I rather not mention which class he is at here lah...

christine
Oh your boy is also 4. Seems most of the tods here are below 4...

orangeymum
My experience with Ascension..... how to start ah....ok bah... nothing major to complain.

From the thread which Sgal posted, here are my comments. I will be objective about it.

Concert
Yes, you have to pay for costume and even though they allow you to bring back, no use mah cos my boy had the 'john travolta' type of costume..keke..just threw it away after that.

Photography
I can understand the part about photography, imagine if every parent is gonna take photographs, the kids on stage wl kena stage fright from the camera flashes, and I can imagine maybe some parents wl dash to the front to capture the shots.
I think the costume was S$30.... can't rmbr..
I didn't order the DVD cos I won't be watching again...

Photos
Ok what, in the end, I spotted 4-5 photos of my boy which I ordered.
Of crse, ppl wl say this is they make money...or the prof photographer makes the money...

Grammar
I only spotted one grammatical error in one of my boy's worksheets last year and corrected it, not sure if they will correct.

Hmm...I also wonder if tinkerbell is so unhappy, did she pull her kid out of the school eventually?

No school is perfect, everywhere you go, you will find certain areas you may not be happy.

Standard of teachers
Frankly, with the type of salaries that are paid, I stimes wonder who wl take up this job unless they are really passionate about it or they own the business. It's no wonder that the English standard is not up to par for some schools.

+
Good environment
Good Christian values are taught
Christian songs are taught
My kids go to school everyday with smiley faces

-
Pay for this and that
Extra lessons are charged
Fees are higher than the norm
School tending to be proud from what I have heard from other ppl

As for other complaints that it is no good in teaching that their kids have to go for extra classes, I ever stated before that nowadays parents send their kids to enrichment classes anyway...so whether the kiddo is from PCF, Ascension or Pat's School, it will not be a surprise to know that all kids go to one enrichment class or another....
Yesterday while waiting for my boy to finish his class, I heard this mommy counted at least 5-6 enrichment classes that her gal goes to!

Now I'm hearing Newton's standard of English is weak... !! I know they conduct their classes in Mandarin, right?

Totally agree with stylobb with regards to pre-school issues. There's no such thing as a "perfect school", cos people running the school are not perfect. There's always give and take. Just weigh the pros and cons then decide from there.

Maybe I shud not say "I only spotted one..." as any grammatical error is not accepted...

I will cringe if teachers who supposedly teach English are not good in English...

Of course, as a Christian school, I feel the mark shud be higher, after all, pre-believers are sending their children there and it is not good if the School does not come across as caring, good or beneficial.. but reality stimes can be different. A gf just shared with me that her son's school which is also Christian is also terrible... sigh...

Hi Stylobb,

my son is attending Little Neuro Tree for left & right brain training & Beijing Language Ctr for chinese at the moment. I want him to enjoy his childhood and learn new things at the same time.. His mandarin is terrible so I send him for chinese lessons.. I let him watch the Leapfrog DVDs for phonics, learning to read and mathematics...

As for Ascension, no complaints so far. My son enjoys going to sch everyday as there are singing and dancing session, playgrd, gym and library, besides the normal classroom lessons..

My gf currently sends her child to a childcare center, not at TPY, but she said the english standard there is terrible.

Teachers pronounce wednesday as Wed-dez-day and one day the son brought home a piece of black bread which he painted and the teacher wrote : A loaf of bred
3829481.jpg

So I guess for myself, the standard of how you pronounce and the grammar must be as accurate as possible.

BTW, someone mentioned abt chinese enrichment classes at berries, are they still at tanglin CC? How much is it ah?

christine
Oh...your boy is also at Ascension...

What do they teach at Little Neuro Tree?

ryes
Yucks, this is terrible!
Maybe she was careless and wrote wrongly....

My kids are attending Berries at bishan.
The tanglin outlet is still around, but the thomson one has moved to bishan outlet (CPF bldg). My boy used to be at Palais but I moved him to bishan as the timing for him/twins are the same, easier for me/hb...
bishan is convenient for those of us in tpy...
Can't rmbr exact amt - think is around $380+ (not more than $400) per term. They allow for trial class before signing up.

thanks stylobb,

berries replied fast to me. This AM sent an enquiry and just received their reply.
Will check out for the trial, coz I dont know if my girl can tahan mandarin throughout the lesson or not.

<font color="0000ff">Chinese Enrichment</font>
I would like to recommend Eduplus. www.eduplus.com.sg
Each term has 16 lessons, the price is around $24 per lesson. They go by level ability, instead of age. Though my girl is turning 4yrs old, she do have some classmates aged 5 and 6 in her classroom. Now she is in Level one, next week onwards she will go to Level two. They learn Chinese through songs, games etc. The school allow us to bring the materials back home every week, so that we know what they have learnt in the class. I personally find it good for me, so that I can have a clearer picture of what she had learnt. You may call for a free trial assessment.

She is also attending the PCF's Jolly Phonics enrichment program once a week.

ryes
That's good.... can just go for a trial.
See if your child is interested.. if not, wait till a bit later lah.

My boy only started at 5 yrs cos earlier on when I asked him, he said "No" so I didn't want to force him. Later on, he was ok and then I signed him up after the trial class. I rather that he enjoys going for it. Must say his chinese has improved quite a bit eversince.

precious
Actually I was not aware of all these classes too, asked my mummy friends about Berries and hear good comments. Fun, yet they learn Chinese.
They also have materials like reading books and worksheets, crafts, and they watch chinese cartoons. I don't mind them going by age.

char
I know what you mean by 'painful'... hehe... was introduced to a chinese website selling chinese books and in the end, tompang a mommy to buy for me instead...keke

Eduplus is pretty good, they have their own "recording studio" where the kids get to be broadcasters so that they improve their diction. The Bishan branch runs Story Island as well where they learn thru stories and drama. Works well with the young ones.

StyloBB
Eduplus believes that a child must have interests in Chinese, and they have to start from the foundation.
Are you referring to dangdang spree in SMH? Many cheap and good books. I try to buy books wo HYPY, a good practice for me when I read to her nowadays.

Stylobb,

In LNT they do flashcards, memory game, iq test, gross &amp; fine motor skill, hand eye coordination activities, songs &amp; dance and story telling introducing a noun or verb each time, and writing of course, etc., etc.. Overall, I find that wat they cover in the 1 hour is quite comprehensive for my 4yo son.. Thks to Dor who recommended this ctr to us..

jfoo/precious
Eduplus - Sounds good.

precious
Yep, dangdang, we ordered among my group of mummy friends from another thread, I didn't join the spree in SMH...

I prefer w/o HYPY (provided I can read ..haha).. otherwise if my kid reads along, he may become over-reliant. Berries starts to introduce HYPY now for K2....

Chinese - sooner or later, they will have to learn.

christine
Re LNT - OIC...

So many kids of classes for kids nowadays...

Christine,
u r welcome.

Mummies,
i heard feedback fm a parent in LNT who sends her daughter to Berries and she said the same thing as Stylobb's frenz mentioned.

Now i am contemplating whether to send her for Chinese or Phonics class apart fm LNT as i understand it is impt to build a basic foundation. Any suggestions?

StyloBB
Eduplus also recommends to introduce HYPY at age 6. However by Pri 3, their textbooks would have lesser HYPY, hence really have to recognise the characters. Unlike English, can still use phonics to pronounce. Actually many of the children can read using phonics methods, but do they really understand the vocabulary etc?

Thank God she is attending 2hrs daily at PCF. If she is in half day/full day program, we won't be enrolling her for any academic enrichments, unless it is really necessary.

Precious,
Thanks for the info.

C is oredi 3yo but still very attached to me sigh. I went to her sch and celebrated her BD recently, instead of feeling happy she cried when she saw me and wanted me to bring her home. We fetched her back shortly after cake cutting.

char

i can see.... the eduplus site is really ouch for me!!!!

precious

cant find the eng version?

galdolphin

hahah thanks for the welcome! :p but hor maid going back next tues so you will seldom see me here again for the next 4weeks bah.

Elijah's mummy
I managed to view the English version.
On top of the screen, you can have the selection of Chinese or English version.

Dor
Did you pre-prepare her?
Etc: Telling her that you have to leave the classroom after her bd celebration in school.
Now when I am out for appt, I still have to let her know in advance, so that she is willing to let me leave the house to go and work.

precious,
i clicked on the english but still only chinese words everywhere. i wanted to view in eng to know where is their location but still can't. maybe my comp not compatible with their website bah.

stylobb/jasmine,
painful right? my chinese is "so good" that i need not continue to read. hahaha! looks like i have to send my gal for chinese enrichment class maybe next year. the PCF she's attending has chinese speech and drama class for 4yrs old (next yr). i'll be signing her up for that.

btw, anyone has any recommendation for part-time helper?

char,

hahah i just see it and give up already, called hubby to do the reading but he gave up too. :p
ended up asking my sis to translate for me.

precious
oh at tpy? hmmm sis was translating and she said that there are 2 in bishan.

Jasmine, there's only one Eduplus in Bishan, the other is Story Island, which is also under the umbrella of Eduplus. TPY Safra will be undergoing reno soon so not sure whether the TPY branch will relocate or join forces with Bishan. Precious should be able to fill you in on that

Hi Kin, yes, my hubby told me "there was this lady asking about you", haha! He'll be sending him since I'm tied up with teaching. Thought your girls are doing the creative art there? So doing both ah? Jayden loves to read so I thought if he picked up phonics esp the blending part, that'll encourage him to read by himself. This boy, doesn't allow me to teach him, he says "you're mummy, not teacher"... so there's only so much I can do with him, can read to him, chat with him and teach "informally" but to sit down and write or do something "academic" with him is "no-no".

Mummies, I have a Pooh 4-wheel-ride-on-car and an automated car, anyone interested? The Pooh car is manual so have to push - either by hand or if the kid is old enough can sit and push by himself. The auto car goes very slowly, but can go forward and backward. PM me if interested.

precious
That's the problem -- falling chinese standards, kids become reliant on hypy and when it is removed, they cannot read properly.
I much prefer they build a strong foundation knowing the chinese words.
You're right, maybe they will read but don't really understand the meaning... it's impt to go thru with them and explain, esp the idioms..

char
I can still read but gave up trying to order.
I still manage my boy's chinese and will revise with him nearly every night.
The gals are also starting on chinese strokes.

Actually must say my boy's pretty focused when it comes to his homework/worksheets. It's my gals who meander and take so long to finish!!

dor
I feel if your gal is ok with english, then learning chinese will be more impt...

I din disappear, just so busy with my girl recently. 4mths old suddenly not interested in drinking milk. From usual 150ml to only 60ml... pekchek.. wanna sell her away liao.

Really pei fu u all so steady, all ur kids so big liao.. mine still long way and more challenges on the way... eek! haha

stylobb,
woah then u're much much better off than me leh, still can coach your boy.
happy.gif

ivy,
that reminds me of my gal. around 3mths+ she also suddenly rejected milk, kept crying when she tasted milk but was willing to drink water. it lasted for about 3mths. i was so exasperated and depressed during that period. once her record for going w/o milk was 13hrs. so what i had to do was let her fall asleep for awhile first then feed her milk but hor, if feed to early she'll cry and if feed to late she won't suck. i even brought her to 3 PDs and each said that this is quite normal in some babies. and since my gal was 4mo at that time they all recommended to feed semi-solid food. hopefully your gal dun go thru a long stage.

hi mummies,

wondering if anyone of u have any ideas how to stop cockcroaches from invading your hse other than spray n pandan leaves? me having headache now..
also any recommendations on hair stylist.. m thinking of trimming hair n doin rebonding.. =) weather so hot.. feel like cutting it off manz.. haiz.

Jasmine,
m sure u can handle wo maid for 4 weeks.. now i'm thinking if i shld cont to go w/o maid till i send my son to childcare..

btw any mummies send ur kids to appletree?can share?now m looking for those 2-4hrs type of playgrp other than ykids for my son so tat i can drop him off n have some breathing space by myself..
thanks alot..

Gal.dolphin
Appletree does not provide K1 and K2 programs.
Unless you don't mind sending him there, and when he is about 4yrs old then look for another school.

Back