Teacher Mummies

Hi mummies,
most of u ur EDD is coming.. Jia You...
Guess i am lucky to have additional June break so rested for 19 weeks.not so bad...
but Sigh, next week back to work liao.. sian ah...

Tan, even if you go back to work next week, is exams period mah. then will have sept hol. so not too bad!
happy.gif

I have been feeling hungry all the time! but also have heartburn. anyone has any good ways to prevent heartburn?

Hi mummies,

Seems like work is mounting, even for a pregnant mummy. Trying to settle some work for next term before I take my ML or my colleagues will start calling me during my ML. EDD is end Sept but gynae says it might be early again. Worst of all, the RT that my school gets for me is an untrained contract teacher. So, trying to complete keying in of pupils' remarks into school cockpit before I take ML... Sigh.
I'm feeling hungry all the time too... Snacking on biscuits, buns and bao in between lessons in tiny portions. So far, no heartburn.

Rachelle....u r sooo lucky coz no need to go for PSLE marking...I have to go...*sigh* Told my gynae abt it and she said that if i want i can ask her for MC. But will feel bad for the people doing the marking coz short of one person.

Wahhh sonnig...u r due soon. All the best yeah! ;)

Haffa, talk to your P about it. cos I think most sch dun send preg teachers who will be due soon out for PSLE marking. Or tell your P that your EDD may be earlier cos usually will give birth earlier? I actually intend to use those marking days to clear my cubicle and to key in some remarks. else no time liao!

Soonig, just one more mth and your baby will pop! so exciting! i cant wait for mine to pop too!

I briefly spoke to my P about breaking my ML cos I am due end Oct. But he wasnt too keen in that. Haiz. He said since u can come back during Dec for meetings n courses, there is no reason why u should break the leave.

hi rachelle

MOE ask me to go try to teach for 1 academic term 1st, and write in for review to have a stronger ground for switching.

so i'll have to bite my lips to try..i have interest in chinese, but am worried whether i can cope..coz i have very very long never use chinese since my college days leh...alot return to teacher liao...plus im very stress when i think tat i have to study chi literature...thats why i rather teach EMS...

Cynthia, I think most schools would rather not send preg teachers who are due soon out for marking. So, if only 4 mths preg of cos will still send la. Pple like us who will be so heavily preg by then will have prob moving around so, most likely they will not send us out.

I really think it is so difficult to break ML. Now I'm afraid that the sch will grade us down cos we taking ML. That's why I dun even dare to take NP leave after ML fearing that I may get D. sigh.

Nashi, I guess you have no choice liao. just keep a positive mindset. I'm sure things will fall into places nicely for you! Dunno whether this will be too absurd but was thinking if it is possible for you to make arrangement with the contract school you will be posted to such that you are given a chance to teach Eng medium. Some ways you can do
1) some sch have this pull-out system where some pupils are grouped in smaller groups during math lesson and a teacher is like a tutor to this smaller group
2) give support to the LearningSupport Team in school. This Learning Support Team handles lower pri children who has prob with either Eng or Math
3) ask the sch to give you a mixed timetable such that you can teach chinese as well as a eng medium subject. (a non-core like Health Ed will be good as well)

I think most impt here is to establish a strong grounds for your later appeal. else, if you only teach chinese, like a bit harder to appeal if compared to you also teach eng medium

Hi, does anyone know many days of medical leave do we have per year? I checked out HR online and it stated 30 days medical plus hospitalisation leave. If exceeded, we are entitled to another 10 to 15 days special leave, depending on the number of years we are in service. But my sch's AM told me 14 ML plus 30 HL. Which is correct? My P has told me not to take anymore although I have only utilised 12 days of ML. Don't know y i can't take, she just said not advisable. Sianz.. Now getting tired so easily and still have to bear with the nonsense..

nashi: i am teaching chinese
happy.gif
Don't worry, you've got time to "catch up" if you are going to study in NIE first. Are u going NIE first or start teaching?

haffa: i told my P about my pregnancy and told her my edd which is end of sept. She excluded me from marking but i still had to go for oral
happy.gif

Candy_white: I think can trust your school AM. I read before we are entitled 30 HL, apart from ML somewhere.. think its intranet under benefits. When is your edd? I think your P got a point la, if really really cannot tahan then take ML, think it might affect performance etc. Not very sure though
happy.gif

I think medical leave is 14 days and HL is 30 days. I think I have already taken a lot of ML liao cos I took 5 days straight once cos of the H1N1 flu scare. But seriously speaking, cannot be bothered with it so much cos I really needed those leave. it's not as tho I deliberately take.

Actually, it;s quite common for preg women to exceed their ML and utilise HL. In most cases, P will be very understanding and approve this usage of HL for ML. If the P is very "niao", then, he may use medical leave as basis to mark you down suring perf ratings. But if P is good, they can understand, then shd be no issue.

Can't understand why sch leaders make it so difficult for preggies to take leave to rest? Since it's our entitlement, why penalized us on our performance? Aren't we doing our "national service" too? P allowed me to break my maternity leave quite reluctanly. After her verbal agreement, she had been giving me the cold shoulder.. even VP also. Maybe both not married so can't understand why... Anyway, can't b too bothered now... I just do my part so long the pupils are not shortchanged..

Happy Teachers' Day!!

Happy Teachers' Day mummies. Have you gals been to the Taka Fair? Heard that it's very crowded during the weekends. Perhaps tomorrow we on holiday will have more space to look around? Another sale going on: Spring Maternity offers 20% discound storewide for all teachers. Just have to show proof. Offer till tomorrow.

Happy Teachers' Day!!!

Sophia, i hav been to the takar fair last thurs cox on ML now, so brought my bb there. Already v crowded on wkday...can't even push my stroller thru the crowds
sad.gif
So cannot imagine on wkends.

Any teachers here hav taken UPL before? Do u all know how long in advance do we need to inform the sch abt it?

I think its normal to exceed. MOE ought to be more understanding. We are trying to answer to their call - procreating yet.. . . haiz.

I think its 14 days ML and 30 days HL.

What do MOE do if we exceed the number of ML in a year?

Candy_white: that's good. at least u can break your maternity leave!!!

kittyng: I've taken UPL before. If it's for exams, must submit in advance coz you know the exam dates. If urgent like some emergency at home, I call up my HOD and tell her. Then when I return the next day, I will submit the UPL form. My school quite flexi about it. I guess it will depend on the school.
Went to Taka fair yesterday morning, not too crowded.

Oh sophia, i'm actually referring to unpaid leave. I'm most likely taking unpaid leave for a yr to spend more time taking care of my bb. But dunno when i shd let my sch know.

hi kitty,
will be good to let your RO know as soon as possible. It will help in their planning for deployment and resources for the following year.

hi rachelle
thanks for your advise..i think what you suggested may work...i will be posted to a relatively new school and i believe there will be alot of opportunities and help needed...

will try and talk to my school and hope everythng prgresses smoothly..

hi gina

i will be teaching in a school first befoe admission to nie next yr...i got to sit for the EPT for chinese as i do not take A level chinese, only AO level only..is the EPT very tough? very worried..must pass then can admit to nie leh...

I am so relieved my P finally agreed to let me break my leave!!! Am so glad she is so understanding, that i will be the only one taking care of bb and stuffs..

Now i hope i can work for as long as i can :D

nashi: oic.. i have no idea if the EPT is tough, but i do know that they do ask questions about current affairs too... Sorry cant help as i was exempted from the EPT being under the O level training programme :p

Hi! Am new here. Will be due in 2 wks time. Noticed that that u pple had been talking abt Medical leave and HL. FYI, those who joined the service after Jan 2004 are entitled to 14 days of ML and 30 days of HL. As for those who joined before 2004, it should be 30 days of ML and 60 days of HL.

Anyone giving birth in end Oct? How many weeks of pre maternity leave are you taking? I heard Asians usually give birth at 38 weeks.

Hi blessedcyn: U can try calling HR infoline 68796879. My edd is on 22 oct and will be taking pre ML 2 wks earlier... Heard from many that 1st child usually cmes out early. But before that, may take medical leave or HL cos now having swollen legs, painful and cannot stand for long...

Hi Candywhite, Thanks! Shall call up and enquire. Are you able to break your maternity leave?
But how to take HL? Ya.. i can feel the pins and needles too!

Blessedcyn, you'r welcomed! Be patient to wait for the automated voice to finish saying the options. Think u got to choose an option, say for maternity leave, then wait for the voice to give u more choices for sub-options then press the correct no. to speak to a HR officer. Do not call between 12-2pm and after 5. It's off.

My P has allowed me to break leave and I hope she keeps to her word. My gynae is very understanding, especially when he knows I m teaching and a 1st time mum. He always ask if I need MC to rest. I did ask if he gives HL and he's quite ok with that too... So I just tell him what I need when necessary.

My feet are like "zhu jiao" now... Not sure how to tahan Term 4... Arghh...

Oh, Candywhite. I am so envious of you! Term 4 will be a hectic term!

I spoke to my P briefly. He doesnt seem keen on breaking my ML. Haiz

hi all, i'm new in this discussion... EDD in mid Dec...

For my sch, ML starts the day I give birth, unless I want to take earlier. Quite lucky to have EDD in Dec, can at least rest first...

gilala is right, for me i joined after 2004, so I have 14days MC only... HL quite difficult to get I think...

I'm thinking of going on unpaid childcare leave but I dunno when to talk to P about it... Planning to like give some tuition to get some income.. I am still under bond... If EDD is accurate, I will have exactly 8 weeks to serve my bond after my ML...

I'm still in a dilemma coz no matter what, a monthly salary is stable and there's bonus to look forward to... but this will be my 2nd delivery and I don't intend to get a maid.. so I thought of staying at home..

btw blessedcyn, I've bought some children's day gifts from teachersthemepark.com quite nice and affordable. Under $1

hi all,

it's true about the ML and HL.. I joined before 2004 so I'm entitled to 30days ML and 60days HL. Better to take HL though as ML affects the school's SEM and our appraisal so usually Ps won't like it. My P is one of them. I can't even break my maternity leave. So, taking pre-leave next week onwards as my EDD is end Sep but could be sooner.
Talk to the gynae about HL. I do that and am usually able to get a few days.

Jas,
better tell your P earlier about your plan to take no-pay childcare leave as it will make it easier for the school management when they are doing deployment which might be soon for some schools.

Hi

Jas: I've the same thinking as you... take NPL for 1 term as I want to fully breastfeed baby and hopefully will be successful. Meanwhile, try to give private tuition. If works, then quit service. Maybe settle for lesser pay but definitely happier without doing epms, lesson ob, plan, file checking and facing monkeys everyday.. What's more, can have more time with bb so I won't miss out on their growing years. BB is only young once. Haiz... of course, that's provided hubby can support the family with single income. Anyway, just painting a beautiful picture..

blessedcyn: P allows me to break leave very reluctantly so if last minute she decides not to, then I oso have no choice but to take all at one go. When are you due? Don't give up speaking to your P. Let him know your difficulties like no one to take care of your newborn, so you need more time to make suitable arrangement, etc.. Then hope he softens. Or anyone in sch who was granted break leave? Speak to her and find out how she did it.

As for nursing sleepwear, I just got those with front opening, like a row of buttons in frt, from the shops in AMK central. I think those shops behind hawker centres will have too. It's cheaper to get from there. If u don't have any budget, then can get from mothercare or departmental stores (OG, Robinsons, ...) Alternatively, try going for BP. There's one currently by this fave collection (if not closed).

Sonnig: my colleague already spoke to my P and has approval for one yr NPCL.. Im kinda frightened to go talk to her. She has poor impression of me. My recent observation didn't go too well. Apparently she thinks I'm always looking tired and not animated. She expects action packed teaching.. Sigh..

That's why I wanna take a break from teaching. Dunno if it's the career. I love parts of the job but dread some.. Esp the ranking thingy.. I really don't care so much. I've got a full-fledged toddler in the making. 16mths n so active.. Everyday I just want to go home early to see him. Plus I have to give tuition to supplement our income and I'm also taking uniSIM degree just started this July.

Candywhite: I've so many reasons to go on NPCL... I've been thinking of it alot so lately I took up more tuition to test out how's the income and schedule. The thing is I'm non-grad so my take home is about $1700+. If I give tuition it's almost equivalent, just that no benefits and sch hols no pay, tuition might get postponed from time to time.. No bonus no connect plan. Think carefully. I earn more than my husband so there's no way he can support me. He wanted to get maid but it will cost n plus I don't want my children to get close to the maid like how I see others.. U're right these growing years will never happen again later so I think I'm quite adamant on going for it. Just got to let my P know fast and hope all goes well... btw I drive so expenses are high. However I am able to travel to further places for tuition if it pays me well. That's my plan for now..

Ladies anyone would like to give thoughts on my situation?

candy_white: hehe your gynae so nice.. same as mine! he always ask if i need mc :p HL also give when he thinks i need it... is yours from KKH?

blessedcyn:

Children's day gifts- i might go down to the previous concourse tenants there to get some gifts. But very tight on budget with the down payment of the delivery package (1.2k at least)... plus i got 3 classes of kids to buy for!!

Nursing sleepwear- you mean nursing bra is it? I bought some cheap ones from OG $7.90 brand is eternity if i am not wrong haha.. and pre-ordered 2 Bravado nursing bras from a fellow mum's BP.. heard raves about them :p

please pardon my lousy english, if you mean sleepwear like gowns etc, my friend recommended sarongs! easy to wear and remove also :p avoid pants as you may experience pains after delivery etc..

Maternity Leave - best person to approach is your AM. Mine was very patient and nice and she explained to me how it worked if i do or do not break leave. My P even invited her in when we were discussing about breaking leave. heh heh. I ish lucky! Because my P knows i am the only care-taker for my baby and the breaking leave really going to help me in searching for other care-takers before i return to the workforce. I just have to return during the nov n part of dec hols.. and i am allowed to bring bb along to nurse and everything
happy.gif

now a bit gan jiong cos i am 2weeks away from edd!!

Gina: is this your first baby? Relax u will do well. Your P sounds really understanding.

Btw regarding nursing nightgown, John Little sells about $14 per piece. It's all button kinds.The brand is Kamy (not sure of spelling) I used it, quite convenient.

I don't go to any gynae, I do my checkups at polyclinic. Bill comes to $13 then I use PSC card, only co-pay 15%. very cheap compared to my first preggy I went to raffles hospital paid $2000 for antenatal package. So I don't know who to approach for HL

Hi all.

By right, under the MOE guidelines, teachers are not encouraged to break the ML. So if your P allows you to do that, its either P is super understanding or he/she has no idea abt this. Our ML starts from the day we delivered and not our EDD. However, we are allowed to bring forward our ML, ie 4 wks prior to our EDD. So if your P don't allowed u to break up your ML and your ML "eats into" your hols, and that you are feeling tired and need to rest earlier, perhaps you can consider bringing forward your ML.

Jas: If you really need a break, perhaps u can try out NPL first before u considered quitting. If the reasons u are quitting is cause of EPMS, ranking etc, I can tell u this, u will faced this prob in whatever job you do. Many thinks that tuition is "stressed free". It is, if you are just supplementing your income. Happy go, not happy, don't go. But if that is your full-time job, it is a different story. U won't get paid during hols, or when u or your kids r ill. Parents are also very "clever", if they see no improvements, they tend to switch to other tutors. If u r charging a huge amt, they wld expect a lot from u too. With more n more schs going single session, u will have most of the time free during daytime, and with night time and weekends pack with lessons. That means, sacrificing quality time spend with hubby and kids. U mentioned that your hubby is earning less than u, with an "unstable income", will it add more stress to your life? On top of that, u r also taking a degree and driving a car, guess, all these are all added expenses......
Sorry, if I sound discouraging n negative.

Gilala, appreciate your inputs. I've really thought alot about this. I understand from others that private sector I worst. Eventually I still see teaching under MOE as a long term career. Just that now with the young one n new baby I feel I want to watch them grow up. It's gonna be lots of sacrifices. My husband works till 9+ pm everyday so he comes back close to 10. I consider myself very lucky coz we now moved in with my in laws and my mother in law takes care of my son and her sister also comes over on a daily basis, staying just the next block. By evening time there are three other relatives around on a daily basis and they help out to see to my son's needs. The family support is very strong from my husband's side.

Being a non grad plus tuition I get about $2300 a month. I've done calculations if I give tuition I'll be able to cover the same. And perhaps get abit more to make up for lesson cancellations and zero bonus.

If I go on NPL I'll definitely get to spend more time with children n still get about the same income. At most I'm prepared to do without bonuses... Grad teachers might have a different situation given their bigger pay package.. I feel I'm more advantaged. If I carry on teaching, I still have to give tuition to supplement income and hours are gonna start from 6.30am till 7pm with meetings, workshops, cca, marking..

I thought it would be a good opporunity to complete my degree then return to work with 100% commitment. Then I'll no longer be eligible for childcare leave, kids will be attending preschool and I get emplaced hopefully.

Jas: Yes, family support is very impt. You are lucky that you have that. =) Just remember, if you really like teaching, hang in there no matter what happen. Resigning should be your last option.

As for me, I intend to apply for 3/4 or 2/3 workload next year. =)

Hello there! so nice to see many msgs!

Sigh... sep hol is so short. Tmr starting sch. BTW, I was told I have gestational diabetes. So now have to control diet and to test my blood sugar level 2 hours after every meal. So torturing when I really love to eat sweet food!

Gilala, I am just wondering how does 3/4 or 2/3 workload works? I ,m thinking of it also cos i think may not be worth it to do full load cos too much things to do! I understand no need to do CCA but wat else? Anyway, I'm still bonded so dun think can take 3/4 or 2/3 load right?

Jas, i think if your hubby support your decision, then go ahead. cos i think most of us have financial considerations regardless of how much you earn. But actually if you see it this way - you earn less, you spend less. this is quite true. I used to draw a higher pay but gotten a pay cut when I join teaching. So, cos of the lesser pay, i tend to spend lesser. It is just about adjusting your expectation in lifestyle to the income you have. To me, if i have a choice, i would really want to take care of my children on my own. but since my inlaws are going to do that for me, i think i will continue to work and get that income.

Of cos tuition is an attractive option cos of its flexibility. but i feel that giving tuition alone in long term may makes one detach from the syllabus. So, just thinking maybe beta to teach in sch in order to get a better feel of teaching according to syllabus. just my opinion...

gilala, thanks for your message. Frankly speaking at the moment besides teaching, I don't know what else I can do so resigning is a bad option so I won't dare to resign and face uncertainty. 2/3 or 3/4 load in my school is not lucrative had a colleague did half load then he goes home late too n get half pay so not worth converting.

Jas, i'm also going to take NPL for a year starting fr jan 2010. Initially i'm also considering taking 1/2 or 3/4 load but similarly i hav seen colleague working the amt that does not justify wat she is paid for. I think it really depends on the sch sometimes. I'm also afraid of adding additional burden to my hb but we hav both agreed that it is definitely worth the time to spend and bond with the child in his first 2 growing years
happy.gif
So i'm definitely going for it. Like you, i should be taking some tut assigns to sup the income.

Jas: Yes, quite a number of people did say that it is not advisable to take up 1/2 or 3/4 workload. Guess, a lot depends on the p, ie whether they are able to keep up with their promise. For my case, I intend to negotiate for : no cca, lower pri classes ( at least no compo to mark) , no workshops unless it is compulsory. My main purpose is to cut down on marking load. My friend is doing 2/3 workload and on certain days, she gets to go home at 11am. Anyway, this "contract" is renewable every half a yr, so its ok. Did consider staying at home with bb, but would like him to get a "social life" and have a chance to "mingle" with different pple (ie grandparents and cousins) too. Think that will do him good too. With reduced workload, hopefully I can have the best of both worlds - extra time with bb and still be financially independent (don't wish to get allowance from hubby every mth, cause I know he will definitely "control" my spending, eg lesser pedicure and spa visits etc).

Rachelle : It is best to call up HR dept and ask them. Not too sure since you are still under bond, and how it might affect your bond period. Sorry that I am unable to help you in this matter.

Any mummies here who hav gone back to sch after your ML or 2nd time mummies? I would like to ask where did you all manage to pump when you went back to sch? I hav been thinking about this as i'm going back to work next mth. Really worried that my milk ss will drop if i dun pump conscientiously. My sch has no nursing room and i really dun wish to pump in the washroom
sad.gif

Kittyng: I expressed milk in the staffroom. U can buy those nursing shawl that you puT over your clothes. I hope u have electric pump coz it's much faster n for mine I connect the tubes under the shawl. I can pretty much do my marking or check mails while expressing. Make sure you get a large shawl. There are many sold some don't cover as much n could b revealing. I've also tried using a jacket it works too but its too warm.

When r u due? Have u applied for no pay leave yet?

I spoke to my sch clerk n she says I can take another 10days of childcare leave after ML then followed by no pay.

I've worked out the income from tuition at the most ideal situation, can get about $2500 by working an avg of only 3hrs a day. That's very little working time compared to 2/3 or 3/4 load.

hi all,
i'm also intending to go on 2/3 or 1/2 workload. heard from my colleague that there are 2 options, one to remain in service but that is for mothers of children under age of 12 and the other is to resign n come back as 2/3 or 1/2 load contract teachers... hmmm.. i would oso wan to spend more time with the bb..n i also can't stand all the EPMS stuff...sigh

Bibiluvr: flexi adjunct pay is much better. Don't have to do epms, plus no cca, workshops n contact time. My colleagues take home abt $2k+ per month plus bonus if u meet min hours. This is based on $17/hr. I heard grads get $30/hr n above. That's alot. Only thing is hols no pay n no medical and leave benefits. I thought of 1/2 load before but I'll take home less than $900 don't think it's worth the time.

If it works in your sch then will be very good if can negotiate the terms clearly. Acutally epms also nothing much. Can do in a day. I'm just finding the easier option to take a break from teaching to see if there is other things I can do n spend more time with kids. By the time they go sec sch will be a different story at least they want their own space. From 0-12 really got a lo of bonding to do. And times like these, once lost will never be found. At most I'll even sell the car n take public transport..

Back