Teacher Mummies

hi teacher mummies,
I need your advise. I've been offered contract teaching for 1-1.5 yrs in primary level. But i found out i was pregnant after the interview.
Do u think its advisable for me to take up? I am told to start work in end july, by then, i'll be abt 5mths preggy.
Also, do u know if contract teachers are offered maternity leave too? if not, does it mean i have to go back teach right after i give birth?! Pls help.. Tks!

Doozie, if i'm not wrong, contract teacher are also eligible for maternity leave provided that she's in service at least 3 mths. so, if you are 5 mths preg, meaning that you will be in service for at least 3 mths b4 you go for maternity. But beta double confirm with the MOE HR. Do they know you are preg during interview?

I rem that time my fren also had the same situation as you. She told the interviewers that she was preg and she was offered contract as well. She gave birth and was given maternity leave. Then she went NIE after that.

I think shouldn;t be a prob. Just need to double confirm again.

hi Rachelle,
Tks so much. Yes i told the interviewers that im pregnant. And they still offered me contract. Tmr is the appt briefing, i'll chk w them then. Tks so much.

All Teacher mummies,

I was looking at my calendar and realised that HOLIDAYS ARE APPROACHING!! Just this week and next week with the children, then one more week of work week and we are off resting at homes!

I am sooooo looking forward to the break. I really need the rest to recharge! This week need to return exams paper and key in marks into cockpit. crazy week!

Oh yes Rachelle...i am soooooo looking forward to the hols too. I m not going anywhere...juz gonna laze at home...wooohooo...
happy.gif

I had a scary weekend. My spotting was very dark, almost red. Went to KK 24hrs clinic to check. The dr said it's nothing. Anyway, yesterday was also my usual 9th wk appointment with my gynae and told him what happened. He gave me hospital leave till next week. So my hols have started. But, I'm working at home coz I've lots of admin to do.
Have to use this June hols to recharge.

Sophia, if can better rest and do things slowly..
cos now got spotting better don play play..
Mummies, must make use of the holiday to rest....

Oh yes! Just today, I threw a few tempers at my kids. Just get a little more irritated by their behaviour. Find that I am getting more cranky as days go by. haha.

Detailed scan is the scanning for DS? I'm going this sat too. Very nervous abt it.

Aiyo, Sophia, be careful. I think teachers are stressful but whatever is the case, baby shd come first. Dun bother about work. If given a choice, I would really love to take no pay leave and stay at home but then having a baby is $$$$$$. Sigh, really need the $

hi all, im also a teacher mummy, delivered in jan this yr..currently on leave now
happy.gif

pls nomatter what, u and ur bb come first.. work can come later.. and if need to rest, pls rest.. rem u r not indispensable
happy.gif

rachelle: dont be nrevous, its v fun wan to be able to see for 30 min atleast what ur little bb doing in you, and what he does to cause that little kick in u.. super super entertaining
happy.gif
they will also check his fingers/toes/ impt organs, make sure everything is fine
happy.gif

Yes Rachelle, my sentiments are like yours. How I wish can take no pay leave but with twins on the way, $$$$$ very important. I will be going for my OSCAR testing soon. Very worried cos two factors are against me: age and genes. I'm 36 this year and I have a uncle who has DS. My cousin had an abortion as she had gone for these tests and found them positive for DS. I've been worrying cos this is my first pregnancy thru IVF and so very very precious. Anyone else gone for this test? Any comments?

Congrats Sophia!! TWINS!!! so nice!! Ya, you will need double the $ for the kids. were you with Loh SF from KKH? I have many teacher colleagues who went under him for IVF and conceive!

My hubby always says if you are always worried, you will affect the mood of the baby. so must feed your babies with happy hormones. The more you worry, the more it will not do any good. So, mayb dun think of so much first. go for the test and watever the results are, i'm sure your gynae will advise you accordingly. I have heard stories that OSCAR test could have false positive meaning that results show DS but when go for further test, it's not DS. Your cousin went for the amnio or just the OSCAR?

Blessedmum, Seriously, I din know the fetal scan is so interesting! I tot is just to measure the length of certain parts of the baby. Wa! So I can see my baby move! I think i would need tissue for that. Think I will be so moved I will cry! haha

Yap I am under the magic hands of Dr Loh. Before the news that I'm having twins, I thought of switching dr and hospital. But now, I think I will just stick with him. It's not that he's not good, it's just the waiting time to see him is very longggggg. I'm also worried that if there's an emergency, I wouldn't be able to contact him unlike the pte gynae. The last time I had spotting, I couldnt call him. Just had to go to the KK 24hrs clinic. Not very good as you dun get to see your own gynae.
I think my cousin went for the amino and all thus the decision for the abortion. She's a dr herself and even she recommends me to stay with KKH. I prefer Mt Alvernia though as I was there last year for my appendix removal and the stay there was very pleasant.

hello! I'm also in the same profession, and my baby is due in early oct. I see a few mtbs in this thread due around the same time as me. I hope to miss the exam marking. Currently my P does not allow the teachers to break up their leave, so I'll lugi the Nov and Dec if there is no change. My pregnant colleagues and I hope to talk to our P to ask for breaking up of the maternity leave.

Hello gals! I just went for a scan for the baby's neckfold and it was normal. So, now need to wait for the test results to check for DS. Crossing fingers now. Sophia, when's your OSCAR? I think dun worry first. when you get the results then see how. no point worrying now and get yourself nervous for nothing. I'm sure things will b fine as teachers are a blessed lot cos we are nurturing the young mah
happy.gif

Del, My gynae was telling me we do our detailed scan in our 20th week and it takes about half an hour. If I'm not wrong, it;s just a normal ultra scan, shd be ok. Just that I saw documentary and it said that the Ultrascan actually makes sounds waves in the Amniotic fluid and baby might get startled by the noise. But is quite ok.

Glass, i think we are entitled to break maternity leave. Provided we take 2 mths first then the next 2 mths take another time. i think if a few of you go together and get the employment terms right, should be quite ok to clear it. Good luck!

Well done Rachelle. I'm sure all will be well for your baby.
I just went this morning for the blood test. Will be doing the detailed ultra sound in June. I am thinking positive thoughts and not brooding about it too much.
The detailed scan should be about half an hour depending on the position of the baby, but since I'm having twins, mine will be 1 hr. Sian.....
I think can break leave, my school allows it. Can check with HR at MOE cos if it is our entitlement, the P cant really object. Otherwise complain? :p

Hi gals,

Have not been logging in for some time and I can see many teachers joining this thread, yippee!!!

It's 3 more days to end of term, thank god! Will take the time to rest and REST at home.. and of course siam all kinds of possible arrows!! :p

Sophia: I'm with SGH and I find it very nice! Well, I guess that KKH will be more suitable for twinies mummies cos everything will be double the costs. So the $ you save now can go to babies' milk and diapers later! :D

Rachelle: I think if the neck measurement is ok, it'll be more or less good news liow. Generally, the blood test is to double confirm the neck measurements results I think.

PS: Anyone knows how early we can take the ML?

hello everyone,
how's everyone?
happy.gif

havent been logging in, felt so tired and have been puking through my first trimester..just when i thought the toilet is my good friend, my morning sickness just seemed to be okay liao! so weird...
Rachelle congrats on the good news.. i just did my scanning and blood tests yday and my results are normal too..phew...saw baby move.. so cute.....

teacher mummies, dont tire yourself out okies..
remember nobody's kids are more important than our very own little ones
happy.gif

holidays are coming.. woohooo!!!

yeah!! just one more week of work week and we can rest for 3 weeks!!

Hey gals, Clarins is having a promo for their facial at $85 (UP $140). I've asked. They said their facial is ok for preg women cos they dun do extraction and uses clarins products. Most of their products are plant extracts so shd be quite safe. Can go for it. I 've booked mine on 8 june (immediately after work week hahah cos i really need the facial!!) Can call 68385060 for appt.

Jade, if I'm not wrong, can start take ML one mth b4 EDD. cant be earlier.

Min, Congrats on the test!! I can imagine your joy when you see your baby move!! Most imptly, baby is healthy. I always tell my baby that mummy tired never mind, baby must be healthy!!
happy.gif

last day of school. thank goodness i can finally take a break. still some admin work to do, but it's a break from the students.

Hi gals,
Holiday is here.. Enjoy...
Although i on leave now but realise my first 8 weeks is almost gone and everyday is just taking care of bb and do housework... so tired..
At least now hols is here, will get hubby to look after my gal and i rest...
Pregnant mummies, use the hols to recharge urself. Enjoy ur pregnancy now cos after bb come out, u also got no time for urself..
Min, morning sickness is like that one..it will slowly goes off one.. i also got veri jia lat morning sickness that time.. sometimes still have to ask my students for sweets while teaching halfway and also always bring sour plums with me to class...2nd tri is the best.. so must enjoy

I am so scared this morn.

I woke up as usual and peed. When i wiped myself, I was so shocked to see fresh blood on the toilet paper. It's like those blood you have on first day of menses. Is about the size of 2 fifty cents coin. I panicked and wiped again. Still got traces of fresh blood. I quickly woke my hubby and he asked if got pain. I realise I had diarrhoea pain so I cleared my bowels also. Then cos of constipation, the toilet bowl was full of blood. I made sure that the blood was from the anus and not the V.

After that, waited for a while. Wiped myself again. Still got fresh blood. But i also had diarrhoea pain. So had the second diarrhoea. then after that, the bleeding from V seemed to stopped.

Was worried so called gynae. She said if the bleeding continued and wet my panty liner, I shd go A&E immediately. she also asked me not to walk about and rest on bed. Which I did faithfully. Now is 6pm and thank God, there was no more bleeding.

But I really had a terrible scare. now I have this phobia of going to toilet cos i so scared to see blood.

I wonder if it is bcos i went shopping at orchard and walked fr 4pm - 9pm. Mayb was too tiring. Anyone has this kind of bleeding experience. BTW, I'm now 14 weeks preg.

Rachelle, you may want to check at other threads. Sometimes it could be due to low placenta or something. I hope everything is ok. Please go and see your gynae today.

BTW: I checked with my supervisor today. She said the principal received a circular from the MOE earlier this year, and they insisted that the teachers have to take the 4 months at one go.

Rachelle, sounds like you had a bad experience! hopefully everything is fine now.. have plenty of rest!

yah i think my p also said something like this during one contact time. ML have to be taken 4 months together..

Hi, i'm new to this thread. Also a teacher. Expecting my #2 now and into my 36th week.

Re: ML
I read the circular regarding ML. It says something like the 4 mths is for us to bond with the baby thus we are to take it together. but if there is good organisation reasons and your mgmt agrees, then can take 1st 2 mths first then the other 2 mths later. I'm taking my other 2 mths next yr.

Hi mummies, happened to see this thread & so happy to see so many teachers here too. Read thru your posts and found out many are dec MTBs
happy.gif

I'm like enidmummy, now in my 34 weeks. Going to take my ML on the first day of sch in term3. Think going to miss the whole sem since taking 4mths of ML. Anyone intending to take UPL after ML? I'm still considering...

Hi enidmummy, when's your EDD? jun or jul?

Hi kittyng,
my EDD is 30 Jun. Actually, there's no need to take ML early. You can ask your gynae to give you MC to rest at home. Dun waste your ML. Let your ML starts on the day you deliver.

enid, precisely, the organisation can actually allow the maternity leave to be split up, but my P is just refusing to do so. Oh well, maybe I may take two months of no pay leave.

Hey, is anyone putting your baby in infantcare or something? I was looking at places near my house, but then realise that they only open at 7am, but I have to be in school by 7.20. It would be too rushed, so should I put my kid at a place near my workplace? Still exploring options at this moment, really dunno.

Hello!

My Edd is end Nov, so ML will end somewhere in end Mar. Am thinking of taking No-Pay till End May cos a bit no pt to go back sch in Apr till end May. BTW, is it true that if you are not in sch for half year, you will get D and no PB? If that's the case, I think is really discriminating!

Glass, can you hubby send your baby instead? then wont be so rush. I think near your house beta cos your hubby can also fetch the baby if need be. Anyone else can help to take care of the baby? Like some stay-home nanny? I'm luckier in the sense that my In-laws will be looking after baby so not that bad.

Enid, So, when shd we start to take MC from Gynae? like 2 weeks b4 we due?

Oh enidmummy, i din know can ask gynae for MC. Hee...will she give? Maybe i will ask her when i see her again next thurs
happy.gif

glass, my options are either UPL for a few more mths to take care of my bb cox i hav no help fr my PILs or leaving it solely to the care of my maid.

Rach, i only heard abt if getting UPL too long, very unlikely to return to the same sch. Nv heard of the D grade or no PB. Oh no...is is true?

Rach,
for ranking, your sch can choose not to rank you if you have not worked for a min no. of months. unless your performance is really not up to expectation, then you will get D. if not, in most cases, you can expect a C and some PB. but again, many schs use your absence as an explanation for lack of contribution. Sigh!

For MC, my colleagues normally take 2 weeks b4 their EDD. Up to your comfort level, if you feel you can continue to work until you deliver, then dun need to take. For my #1, i didn't have a chance to take cos #1 came a month earlier than my EDD. This time, i dun hv to take cos it's the holidays.

kittyng,
my gynae is quite generous on MC. everytime ask whether need MC or not. how many days i want. heard some gynae refuse to give MC.

Need to find out some information about infant care. Is any one currently sending their babies to infant care? My mom has decided that she is not willing to give up her job when I deliver and besides asking my MIL the next option is infant care. I'm not comfortable with my MIL taking care and I certainly will not have maids taking care of small infants.
Any comments?

hi!

i'm on maternity leave
happy.gif
just delivered my 3rd in april. and yes, i agree with the mummies who mentioned that nov/dec is a better time to have babies. my elder 2 were born in sept and nov. the weather was so much more favourable then. dis time of the year it's so very hot. first time i see a baby perspiring so much till his pillow was very wet. i dont rem the elder 2 perspiring at all as newborns.

I agree with Luke's Mom man...
April give birth not a good choice..

Like enidmummy say, the school can choose not to rank u if u din work about 6 months i think then normally will get a C. but if ur head think that u have contribute alot, they can fight for u and rank u..

Hi there,

Anyone of you have your baby's first month during the holidays? Cos my baby's first month falls on 21 June. According to my confinement lady, it is not good to celebrate the baby's first month late. But how about the delivery of cakes? The usual practice for teachers is to order a few boxes and leave them in the staff lounge for all the teachers to share and not deliver to their places. Thankies in advance!

Sophia, not to scare you but then my MIL was working in this childcare with infant care services. She said that some centres really dun take good care of the infant and would leave the babies thr to cry till the baby sounded asthmatic. She cannot tahan and left the centre. So, she is very against sending babies to infant care. But that was many years ago. I'm sure thr are some gd infant centres out thr. Since now free, perhaps can go around just look at how the centre treat their infants. like spying and then make decision.

bluey, I think lah, the superstition goes that the celebration itself like inviting pple to your house to celebrate must be earlier but cannot be later than first mth but is ok to give cakes or even cake vouchers after the first month. But nowadays, pple tend to celebrate the first mth after the actual day cos if celebrate earlier, means that mummy still cannot shower and be smelly when guests come? I think the delivery of cake can be later is ok.

rachelle, my hubby also teacher, and he has committee work, so must reach school even earlier than me, so it's not possible.

wow, good idea on spying. I hope I don't have to use infant care services. THinking of other options.

kitty: I'm now thinking about no pay leave for a few more months, maybe until march 2010 or may. Will see whether we can afford it, coz housing loan quite high. thank goodness I'm getting a beefy connect plan payout in dec.

Hi mummies,

am a teacher too.. but i still have 3yrs bond to go! Heard that ML is taken in in my bond... is that true? Hehe.. I am due in end sept!

Oh by the way, i am thinking of sharing a domestic helper with my mum (currently living with her). Any recommendations or advise on how to go about?

Thinking of getting transferred maid, cheaper and have some experience le. I need someone who can help out with housework while i take care of the baby, and one who is good with pets.

My mum has zero knowledge about confinement. And she is currently an adjunct in a sec sch. No time to help me care for bb. MIL living in M'sia.. Would love to have her take care of bb but scared both women will have conflict. Did anyone of you do your own confinement? Can't afford a CL, got a tight budget and no place for CL to stay-in also =\

Only know can order confinement food, the rest i have no idea what to do during the 28days.. Heard need to bathe in special herbs blah blah... anyone can help?

Hmm good idea about spying. Actually, I'm considering going 3/4 teaching load once my confinement leave is up. If I have not choice but to leave my twins at my MIL's I would like to get back quickly to pick them up as well. I wonder how much pay will be reduced if go 3/4? Besides pay, what other 'things' will be reduced? Bonus, work load etc.
Hey Gina, have you considered part time maid? Actually I think only Asians have this thing about confinement. When I read Western books on baby care, no such thing about confinement....

My colleague told me a lot will be affected like performance bonus and other bonuses.. AND you may still have to work like a full time teacher, admin work and stuff like that still have to do. You may not be able to leave on the dot also. Plus we request for 3/4 workload, doesn't mean we will get that exact workload. So they say bo hua..

Thinking of full time instead, as i still have to return back to school after my ML is used up. No one is home to look after bb lo.. even my mum also unsure if she will continue her adjunct contract with the school next year. Put infant care also scared, plus I cant rush back in time to pick her up (they close at 7pm. I am most prob. in pm session). Alternatively, my colleague suggested my student's mum, who helps others take care of baby. Have yet to approach her though.. wonder how much do they charge XD

hi all,

wow so many teachers around!! hi, i've just delivered in march and my baby is about 2 and half months old. currently on ML which will end in July. mid july actually.. I've asked to extend NPL to end of July so i can start work afresh in August. i couldn't break up my ML as apparently according to my P, my SUP in my cluster don't allow. but good thing though, i will be free totally from work lah..

anyway, nice to know all!!

Rachelle,

Thanks for your reply. I guess there are too many superstitions and myths. Too confusing! I guess I also don't have a choice. Will deliver to my office during AGM.

Hello mummies!! Just went for a scan and doc said mine is most likely a boy!!! heehee anyone has experience like doc said is boy in the end turn out to be a gal?

I have a colleague who is on 3/4 pay. Meaning her pay is really cut to 3/4 of her original. By right, workload also. So she no need take CCA, no need to attend workshop/training etc. She often goes home at 1.30 sharp. So I think is really how your sch gives the workload. I've heard schools giving nmore than 3/4 workload to 3/4 pay teachers.

Gina, I think best is to convince your mum to take care of the baby. else, really quite ex to find other helpers. confinement food can order so is ok. i think other stuff to do for confinement, can ask your frens for advice. I think there are not many "rules" to follow. the CL is helpful when she can help to take care of baby. If your mum willing to help, then shd be quite ok.

Also, yes, ML is taken into the bond. I still have 2 yrs bond to serve and I intend to have another baby within my bond period hahah then is like ultimately, I'm serving less than 3 yrs bond!

hoho my mum say she old liao. The last time she took care of kids was more than a decade ago. Even my sis also no confidence in her :x sad but yar T-T what to do.. she's been teaching for the longest time.

Hi all,

Just happen to chance upon this thread! so many tr mummies! I gave birth in April too..will be taking no pay leave till end of the year..will only be going back in Jan next yr cos wanna spend time wif bb..yup, did hear that PB, ranking, connect plan will be affected but I tink bb is still most impt..she's only so young once..reali dun wanna miss it..i might extend for one more yr..will c hw..nice to see you all around!

Oooo so good. We need both incomes else very hard to sustain leh >.< so no choice have to continue to work lo. Faster finish bond also happy haha..

Back