Teacher Mummies

Thanks jas for the suggestion. Mine is a electric pump. I'm jus afraid that the sound may disturb other teachers too. I was due in jul so now on ML. Going back next mth
sad.gif
But intending to take 1yr UPL for 2010.

How long you intend to take UPL?

bibiluvr : As contract teachers, basically what you will be doing is the same as full time teacher (have ranking and epms too). So no pt resigning and then taking up that. As for flexi adjunct, this scheme is something like long term RT except that it pays better. You have to sign up for at least 4 wks of service with the school. Can't remember what is the max hrs you can clocked in (for a fortnight). Once you have completed a term of service, you will be "rewarded" with a "mini bonus" of $540. You have the power to negotiate over here. However, some schs are very mean, flexi adjunct teachers are told to set papers, attend contact time and even workshops!!

Jas: The pay for flexi adjunct teachers are based on their qualifications and salary scale (b4 they resigned) . Grads don't get $30 and above per hr unless they have been teaching for a long, long time or are retired teachers.

Gilala: thanks for the info, $30/hr is indeed too good to be true. The best I've heard is $18/hr but that's for non-grad.

But there's a concern will there be too many flexi adjunct teachers that's it's difficult to find a school that has vacancy since it's becoming a popular choice.

Kittyng: my long term plan is to take 3 years coz then i should be able to complete my unisim degree n not think about it. But short term at least wait till the small one is 1.5years old

Jas: No prob. Had tried RT, Flexi, contract, FT and tutoring. So know a bit of everything.
biggrin.gif

Btw, when are you due?

Gilala: My EDD is 20/12. Wow, how come u are able to try so many schemes? What's your status now if u don't mind sharing?

I am going to email my P about no pay leave very soon. She's on mc for a few weeks so haven't been able to talk to her. Cross fingers hope everything goes smooth..

thanks jas and gilala,
i was thinking of going on flexi-adjunct too.. but u need to resign and sign up ya? actually, i'm getting my first connect plan payout next yr dec..but dunno whether i should wait..haha..in fact, i was thinking of getting a new job altogether..those kind of 8-5 job where u need not work when u reach home kind..haha..but i realised for every month of no pay leave u take, u need to go back for the same period..so i can't quit after my maternity leave
sad.gif

Hello, I know that flexi-adjunct for grad who has been working for more than 7 years will getr $28/hour. so actually is not that much either.

Hazel, i din know about the pay back that you have to do after taking NPL. I tot is ok? I have a fren who took 2 yrs no pay to study and just quit after her NPL.

Hazel: you only need to serve the minimum period if u plan to rejoin service after u resign. So if u decide to not come back u can quit after ML. I did a lot of reading n checking up on these HR matters.

Rachelle: $28/hr is not bad actually. I think I might get only 15 or 16 if I'm under RT pay.

Jas: I resigned from the service after my bond caused I was totally burned out by then. Became a FT tutor and did some relief in schs. After 2 yrs, found life as a tutor and RT too monotonous, became flexi adjunct. Realised that teaching is really my calling, so signed up as contract and later convert back to FT teacher again. Missed out a lot on promotion and connect plan, but gained a new perspective, and is a much happier teacher now.

Rachelle : Not all grads who worked for more than 7 yrs will get $28 per hr. It all depends on their last salary scale, whether they are GEO 1A1, 1A2 or 1A3.

Gilala: wow but I'm glad you're a happier teacher now. I guess sometimes money isn't everything as long as we're willing to work hard money will fall in place. I have had many advice against resigning from the service. The thing is that I can be a very good teacher, planning well for lessons, giving 100% to the job but just not now. Kids come first now so I hope the NPL can give me a new perspective. Do u mind sharing what's a safe income for FT tutor with school experience?

Teaching is a job I can see myself retiring in, like when my kids are in secondary school. I enjoy interacting with children and most of all to inspire them to want to do something for themselves. I really don't care about promotions or holding position at the moment. I want to devote myself in work only later on. I don't know of any of you feel the same.

Hi all, this thread has been quite for a few days. I just entered my third trimester.. This time round I feel really tired. Lost appetite for food and been feeling really breathless. Spoke to my husband. Wanna take NPL before ML. Only starting this week in class when I teach my tummy feels very strained and painful. And feels very hot too I'm perspiring through n through..

hi colleagues...new to this thread
some of you are so lucky...i can't break my maternity leave..
when are you all starting your maternity? thinking of starting for week 37...but if anything happends (touch wood~) before that and i'm in school...how ?

Hi Jas! I've "popped" back from TMC on Sun. Still adjusting to life as a mother. Will update more when I feel better.

Hi gilala,

you've just given birth? Congrats! I thought u were mummy status long ago.. If u need advice on breastfeeding do leave a post. As u know I'm always checking n I've breastfed my son for almost a year been through all sorts n read up alot too

weeeeeeeee! my edd on 29th Sept and I am a walking time bomb in school :p Guess my gynae is right... work til iz almost time... maybe have a easier delivery plus don't waste the ML also hahaa!!

Going for gynae checkup later... see when i need to start taking ML... hehe..

only downside is the teachers relieving my classes are all contract, no experience.. and my kids tend to "bully" them by misbehaving. Exams are coming!!! Worried for them >.<

Anyway, regarding pumping when we return to workforce, thought you all might be interested..
I bought this Fridge-to-go.. It is suppose to allow us to keep our EBM with Surround Cooling up to 10-12 Hours. http://www.fridge-to-go.com.sg/ftg_1200S.htm got a mummy managed to squeeze squeeze in 6 x 260ml of bottle into her FTG. Another mummy left her hse w EBM ard 10am &amp; only reached the hospital (her child was pre-mature) at 8pm AND her EBM are still cold after 10hrs of running ard half of Singapore doing meet up &amp; running errands.

Erm, what is EBM?

Gilala, congrats on popping!! must take care and rest well. tell us about your delivery process when you are well cos I'm due in early dec and quite scared of the process.

This morn I was teaching halfway then suddenly i can feel i going to black out. quickly sat down and ask pupil to get next door teacher. then went home. think too tired. i notice i get more and more tired easily in 3rd tri. somemore, i got gestational diabetes then i'm controlling diet. mayb this morn also not enough sugar..... bit scary. I also scared if anything happen in class what to do. anyone had experience where water bag burst in class?

Rachelle: Dont panic if water bag burst. It can happen anywhere but it's not like water gushing out, more like wetting pants as if u peed in it then check for blood. If have both means labour will come soon. Sometimes water bag bursts but no blood so if u admit to hospital it could be a long wait till labour. U get charged the moment u are admitted so best is call your gynae immediately there's a 24 hr hotline.

I agree 3rd trimester is more tiring. Take naps n sleep early and have proper rest. Most importantly eat well. If u feel dizzy could be lack of iron. Make sure u let your gynae know all your observations. Note them down for the next visit. If it's very severe don't wait till next appointment. I read the book on what to expect when u're expecting. There's alot of information in there plus my experience from 1st pregnancy. Hope it helps you.

I wanted to take leave to rest but decided against it. In fact I'm so fed up of my sch exco I want to resign already. I'm just counting down the days. I have 78 more working days till my bond is up. Any unpaid leave will push back the end date. Thanks to my unsupportive RO. Will share next time if anyone is interested.

I saw my gynae she told me that it is normal for preg woman to feel sudden dizziness cos of dilated blood vessels. . So is good to quickly find support just in case fall and hurt ourselves. My gynae also said she may want to deliver me 2 weeks before due date cos i got gestational diabetes.

Anyway, Jas, i read an article before. Pple leave the manager and not leave the co. So actually the supervisors are very impt. If supervisors suck, no matter how good the co is, pple will still leave the co. I was like tat too. used to work in that co for 5 yrs, good working envt, good remuneration but i cannot tahan the supervisor and resigned. so, if you really like teaching, why not ask for transfer or change of dept (then can change RO). else it will be so wasted to leave teaching just bcos of the supervisors. Actually what happened ah?

Rachelle: My RO is not well liked by the exco so we are under her n other HODs will try to find fault with us also. She is the loud n exaggerated kind. She keeps telling me if I don't watch out I will get D. She's a math person n said she doesn't know much about English. So far for my ob under her she doesn't give me feedback on how to improve. She will say thinks like I'm not sure how to teach this topic n if my planning is right. Then pre conference everything is ok. Come to the actual lesson ob I always get poor feedback from others who observe. Actually I do approach other more senior teachers to help me criticise my lesson n they never seem to have no negative feedback. Generally ok make some small changes to activity.

Dunno if they are biased against my RO or me but I'm sick of these nonsense and she is not helping. She insists I'm a weak teacher n I've done 3 obs in this semester alone considering it's only beginning term 4. This week she wrote in my ob form, first sentence was teacher did not think through lesson before teaching. I discussed with 2 teachers before finalizing my lesson. Then the entire form was filled with negative comments about the lesson. One boy in my class asked what's the meaning of conclusion. It's a writing class. This boy has been on frequent mc and weak in english. Guess what my RO wrote. She wrote pupils didn't even know what a conclusion is. Even though the boy needs to clarify his doubt it's perfectly right to ask the question in class. But she didn't have to write that way. It's a formal document n words like that paints a very bad impression n it goes to whoever sch leaders who wants to take a look at the feedback. Once she wrote for me: teacher allows students to be noisy n walk around. That's utter rubbish. And we were doing sandwich making the boy walk to the bin to throw things.

I dunno what else to say. I'm very depressed. I think I can survive without teaching. People like them make our life terrible. Now she tells me I'm being considered as one of the d graders. I really don't care now. My kids are more important. I know I can excel somewhere else. At least for now I know my tuition parents are very happy with their kids progress n want me to continue. So I guess thts what I'll do for now.

Jas, have you spoken to your P before? Mayb is good to change dept and change RO too? like tat seems like you are not having a smooth time with your RO. If she really gives you a D, is not going to make your career advancement good cos quite difficult to promote within the next 3 years.

How about requesting to transfer sch? I dunno what procedure must you go thru but i think you shd be eligible for transfer already.

But then cos you going for maternity, is a bit tricky. at least wait till your ML over then tahan a few mths then change envt.

I guess is really luck whether you get a good RO or not. so hopefully your luck will change soon!
happy.gif

Rachelle, i've never spoken to P before. She has a poor impression of me I'm sure due to the kind of reports my RO gives.

I just spoke with my RO. She apologised for being too harsh in the remarks becoz she did it in a rush. Imagine that!

she told me what my strengths were but I took the most mcs so I reckon that is a D grade. Doesn't matter. I'm 99% sure I'm going to resign.

Perhaps there are other ways of teaching in other organizations

Jas, can go tuition centre to teach since you got NIE cert. Or just be a FT tutor.

I think is very unfair to give a D just bcos we take MCs, we need the MCs what. I also scared I will get a D if I take NPL after ML. so decided to go back work after ML. sometimes, i really hope our ML can be as long as one yr. a few mths is not enough to bond with our babies!

Rachelle: yup u're right it's a consolation we have the NIE certain coz that increases our value. I was thinking I could do relief teaching as supplementary income if I resign... Sigh I still can't make up my mind whether to go on NPL or resign.

NPL will definitely affect performance unless the school gives enough responsibility for us to excel when we return. Actually there is alot of joy in classroom teaching in a school setting that one can never find elsewhere. I suppose that's why gilala returned to the ministry.

If go on NPL at least connect plan is retained.

hi all,
seems like many schools are not very kind to pregnant teachers especially in terms of ranking. i muz be very thankful to my sch cos they really look at the performance of teachers on the period they are around. they don't dwell on the days you are not ard. we have 4 teachers including myself who took ML and NPL this year and all did well for ranking. When I had my #1, I think I still got a B (based on the amt of bonus i got).

Let's hope there are more impartial ROs and school leaders around and all of us will benefit and not get penalise because we took ML and NPL.

For those of you teaching in Pri Schs, Happy Childrens' Day! Enjoy the break.

Enidmummy: you're very blessed with good school leaders. It's inevitable that they look at mc n leave applies. I suppose it's worse in the private sector.

I was just talking to one of my class parents yesterday. She recommended that I can work at the enrichment centre she works at n has a number of parents looking for a tutor. That's really nice to know i'll be still able to earn my keep.

My ML is starting to feel my son is a handful. I can understand it's difficult to handle a toddler alone. I feel it too when I'm alone with my son. With #2 coming I'm reconsidering whether to get a maid or send my son to childcare. Any views on maid/childcare, say of I must choose one out of the two?

hi all...

I am also a FT teacher. BB is 7.5 mth and also considering taking NPL frm June 2010 for a year.

Wanted to take FT tuition too like Jas. But was wondering does tuition centre pay that well?

Any tuition lobang?

Hi Rachel,

i've surveyed tuition centre pays from 15-70. It's quite a big range. Problem is when you are NPL u are not allowed to take up outside employment. Private tuition is quite discreet becoz u travel to the house. Tuition centres you will be 'opened to public'. Parents n pupils who know u may spot u n the school might come to know about it.

Jas, if your MIL is ok with taking care of your children, mayb it's a good idea to get a maid. Then maid can help with household chores and MIL can help with the kids. Somehow, I still think it is beta to let someone you can trust to look after kids. Can send them for playgroups so that they can learn to interact with other children but whole day at Childcare is a little too much i think.

If really no choice, Child Care is a good option but i still feel if MIL and maid combine, is beta.

Ya, NPL cannot work elsewhr. else, you will get into trouble and lose your job as a teacher. Unless you can find a centre which does not contribute to your CPF then no way can MOE check. However, the tricky part will be the public who may recognise you. So the best is still pte tuition.

Rachelle: in fact my MIL has her sister over everyday to help. Staying next block n doesn't work. So it's 2 of them looking after my son. When i resign/NPL I will be around most of the day unless I have tuition. So it becomes 3 of us. My husband works at 12 so whole morning he is in. That makes 4 of us. Then with the maid will it be too many of us for 2 kids? In the evening another 3 persons will be home.

Right now there is no room for maid. I'm not comfortable with the maid sleeping in the hall. It's not very nice. The hall is where we stay up to watch tv also it won't be convenient. Already my husband, myself n two kids in one room. My parents in law one room n my sister-in-law in another.

That's why I thought since I'll be around I don't mind helping to do housework. Afterall mostly ironing, wash clothes n cleaning. I can manage. If my son goes to childcare then it might be easier for my MIL. I'm hoping to find a good childcare, willing to pay more even.

I tried finding a childcare half day PM with good programme but it's difficult. Most say they don't do much in PM. Kids take nap n recap what's learnt in morning.

Hi all,
It's been a while since I logged in. Quite exhausted and catching up on sleep during my confinement now. Was working till Sept hols before I delivered on the 12th. Have been resting a lot since then, apart from checking Myedumail and sms to instruct my RT what to do. Really bad planning by middle management to assign an untrained contract teacher, who's waiting to go to NIE next yr, to relief my double EL classes. I've to constantly email or sms to monitor and advise her on classroom management and teaching. Pity the poor girl. She's only 20 yrs old.

Jas,
How are you? Hope you don't throw in the towel so soon. I went through that kind of phase like you when I was expecting my 2nd child so I can understand how you feel. Was overwhelmed with lots of work and I almost broke down when I knew I was targetted to be one of the D-graders to make up the %. Anyway, I hung on and it's been a few yrs since. Get a transfer to another school. You might have better timetable and class. If you are worried about finances, don't quit. Putting your kid in childcare to offload your MIL is a good idea. My in-laws passed away before I had my 1st and my parents are staying too far to help so I have to rely on a maid. FT teaching might be time-consuming but better than pte tuition or adjunct teaching cos of the benefits and paid childcare leave that you can take.

blessedcyn,
Not many teachers are able to break their ML nowadays since 4mths make it difficult for schools to find RT. My P used to allow teachers to break their leave when it was 3mths ML, but not since last year when 4mths ML was implemented. Friends teaching in some other schools also said the same thing.

HELLO mummies!

I've popped on 02/10! Waited for 30th and 1st in the ward and they came and past.. almost went crazy. Oh and my water bag burst in the toilet.. not trickle down type haha..

blessedcyn: I was able to break my leave after talking to my P for the 2nd time. But I have to go back in end nov and dec to work. I am lucky lo. My P did announce during CT that they review case by case and during the 1st meeting she already declined my "proposal".

They always say school needs above personal needs... so i guess it depends on your sch's manpower and stuff..

I also have 3 contract teachers to relieve 1 of my class each. They also got do other relief lo. Haiz and none of them can tahan my P2 class -.-' P1 classes are ok, easier to handle. But the CT taking over my P2 class has lost touch with school for quite some time already. She was so stressed that she had nitemares consecutively, when she haven even really take over my class. Plus she got to rush finish the last 2 chapters and revision and a few worksheets before exam.. Poor thing.

I was on MC for 2 days and a fight broke out in class. I have taught this class for the 2nd year and none of this happened before -_-" They really bully her. 3 periods and they couldn't finish the chapter i left them with, because of toilet break problem and the fight. She didn't dare tell me and told my colleague not to, coz i going to give birth liao. Only can bai tuo my colleagues to help and guide her when i not around... have to encourage her that now she only take over 1 class XD next year have more classes to handle... told her if she can handle my p2 class, she would have the experience to share in NIE =x

Oh and do guide the teachers relieving you... esp when they have no teaching experience.. kids tend to test water and do funny stuffs when we are not around and take advantage of the new teacher... tried and tested.

blessedcyn: I was able to break my ML for both my #1 and #2. #1 was in Sep 2007. Took 1st 2mths till ard mid nov then 3rd mth in Jan 08. #2 born this year in Jun. Took 1st 2 mths till mid aug. Back to work. Last 2 mths will be taken in 2010 Jan and Feb.

Gina: For my case, they didn't managed to get a relief for me. Difficult to get for my subject. End up got my ex-student to teach lower sec. My colleagues adopted my sec 3 into their class and absorb my 3 graduating classes. Looks like next year, they will be adopting my classes again when I'm away for Jan and Feb.

Sonnig,

I've been doing alot of thinking. No doubt pte tuition has more flexible hours, I lose benefits like u said. When I calculated I have to clock in 4k a month for pte tuition in case holidays parents decide to stop tuition for a break, then I will not have cpf n bonuses. Still I want to take a break from teaching n hopefully the NPL will send me to another school where I can start fresh. I wish I had a more supportive RO.

I'll take a year of NPL rather than resigning and see how it goes from there. I wanted to complete my bond first but i think taking a straight break is easier to adjust.

Actually teaching has lots of good memory that's why I'm quite reluctant to resign.

havent log in for a long long time..
Congrats Gina...

Enidmummy, eh, u break ur leave again next year? Me have it from Apr to May, then July to Aug.
If u start next year , don u find it difficult cos u have to take over the class in March.

Glass,congrats to you too cos ur one can come out anytime liao.. Guess vic must be veri excited...

Those who have 2, is it hard to managed? how far is the 2 apart? must try to plan now cos if wan no. 2 must plan for good timing...

Jas,
Yup. Go for NPL for at least 6 mths and you'll be put in central pool to be sent to another school. I'm sure it'll be better in some ways when you start in a new environment. Hang in there and you'll see sunshine after the rain.
happy.gif

Envious of those of you who can break leave... really depends on the P.

Tan,
it depends on whether you have additional help like parents, in-laws or maid to gauge if it's hard to manage. I've 4 kids so far and still surviving.
happy.gif
Just delivered my #4 recently. Getting another maid to help when I return to work. So, with 2 maids, I believe it's fine. My first 2 kids are a year apart and quite okay.

Tan: I have 3 graduating classes this year, so don't feel good leaving them during this critical period. My sch couldn't find a relief so my colleagues helped to adopt my students into their classes. Not very fair to them and the students. Take over in Mar still not as bad. Also easier to get relief in Jan &amp; Feb.

Your school quite nice to allow you to break to avoid the hols. Now with the directive from MOE stating to take ML in 1 block, more Ps are not approving the breaking of ML unless for valid reasons.

My #1 &amp; #2 are 21 mths apart. So far still managable with help from in-laws. Actually my timing for #2 is very good, EDD in early Jul, so if I take 4 mths ML will end ard Oct, then Nov, Dec hols. So total you will be able to rest abt 6 mths without taking NPL.

Sonnigt3: Wow, you have 4 kids! I will love to have 1 more. But don't know whether I will be able to handle.

Sonnig: I want to have 4 kids too. I never expected that having a child could be so much joy until I had my first. It's more than one can imagine!

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

My #1 and #2 will be 19 months apart. I'm planning to wait another 4 years before #3. Might be easier to manage when both go to kindergarten. Some people say that all at one go is better.

Btw is anyone here doing a degree at unisim or graduated and have graduated?

enidmummy,
If you can cope with 3 kids, 4 shouldn't be a problem.
happy.gif

Jas,
I'm 33. Quite old already. :p My #1 is 4 yrs old, #2 is 3 yrs old, #3 is 20 months and baby is about a month old now. I'm lucky to have a supportive husband who loves kids, I guess. Initially, I was worried too but he reassured me that we just need to have 2 maids, plan well financially and take turns to monitor our kids' growth to make things work. Better to be tired now than taking it in stages.

Sonnig: Wow! 33 but 3 kids alr n now 4th on the way? Thumbs up!

Jas: Hang in there! Go to a new sch.. new environment better.

My P initially said she will allow me to break leave but now when I ask her again.. she was like "I need to think again.. If not next time more teachers givibg birth and all ask to break their leave how.." I was like... U don't stick to what u said lor... Think she has forgotten she was once a mother... Ok.. I just take one block and then another term's NLP... so that shld put me out of the staff list and get transfer to new sch when i go back to the service?

Standards in all schools not the same... Some P r v nice n understanding... they support your needs but others simply no welfare lor... Just my luck...

Candy White,
Thanks... I didn't really plan to have 4 kids within a short span of time.
happy.gif
But, on 2nd thought, why not? Anyway, having now makes a lot of difference. I might not have so much energy when I hit mid-30.

I'm like u, can't break my leave. My P's already not very understanding when I was expecting my #2. There are not many understanding Ps nowadays, I feel. Most also want to perform well for their ranking so they have to ensure things run smoothly in schools and not welfare of staff sometimes.

I'm having the heck-care attitude now for the sake of achieving the target of 4 kids.
happy.gif
Will work hard when I return after my ML but enjoying motherhood for now.

Candywhite: you will need to take 6 mths NPL to be put in central pool and get posted out.

Sonnig: wow yours kids are approx a year apart. I was worried about my health becoz I don't take supplements. I have this mental block with pills. Past two days my gums have been bleeding. I didn't take calcium until lately I managed to get calcium gummies. I'm really hopeless with pills. Ok I'm 26 this year I hope I can pull off having another 2 more before I get old.

Sonnig: I might think the same way as u do after mine comes. She's arriving soon.
happy.gif
Few years back before I got married, I didn't want a kid. But soon realised we need one to complete the family. Depending.. cos Im now 33 and it's only my first! Not sure if I have the stamina for more. Haha...

Jas: Hmm... i seriously need to consider taking 6 mths NPL. Maybe this is my first child so i quite uptight with things. If I can't get the hang of taking care of my kid and establish a routine within the 4 mths of leave then I will have to take more leave. Next push factor will be the unhappiness if I carry on staying in the current sch... It's my first sch after graduation and i think i have stayed long enough to witness the increasing struggles between departments and office politics on rise too. So considering that the latter is a greater push to go, I shld take 6 mths NPL then to get myself out and take on a new environment... Might not be better but sometimes we do need new stimulants to work. Look for pte tut in the meantime to supplement household income.

Candywhite:
congrats! She will be your pride n joy! I'm also doing pte tuition to supplement my income. Just that my in laws are kinda hinting to get a maid. I'm not so keen. I can't exactly explain why but i'd really prefer not to have one.

While u r at tuition u have someone to look after baby?

Regarding routine, my son didn't really have a strict routine. I didn't reinforce that part but we are coping ok n he is not too difficult. His sleeping hours varies, mealtimes too. Not so good but at least he is sleeping n eating well.

Back