Shichida

Chanshane, What is the full website for childbrain? You download pictures ther to flash to your child? Btw, can you teach me how to flash math cards?

Chanshane or someone who've ordered before, a mommy is printing GD Math cards at the following cost. First time ordering. Want to check if this is market price for printing.

Set A
101 cards per set (0 to 100)
red dots in front, equations at the back
$80

set B
109 cards per set (0 to 100 and 8 symbols)
numbers/symbols printed black on one side, the other side blank
$40

Paper used is 300 gsm, 11" x 11" and laminated on one side

baby girl,
If you want an overview to GD program, get the "How to multiply your baby's intelligence"
happy.gif
. When you have decided that you wanna teach how to read, then read the "How to teach your baby to read". When you decide that you wanna teach your baby maths, then read "how to teach your baby math"
happy.gif
If you wanna buy the sets from GD baby, you will get the book with the sets.

I DIY a crawling track... lol... hmm.. maybe you will like to think of how to fend off negative comments and pressure on crawling and sleeping on tummy at birth
happy.gif
. All these are not the "norm" in upbringing of normal children in Singapore. And older generation people will not be able to change their mindset and accept new things easily. It was a challenge to me. I am trying to follow Shichida in terms of nutrition too. It is quite a challenge now
happy.gif

Now I seldom share or talk about flashcards, shichida method, etc. with my friends. Cos I dun wanna them to feel "sorry" for my boy, which is no good for his development.
happy.gif
Worst is people telling my boy that he's a very stressed and pitiful boy...
sad.gif
I used to be very enthusiastic about these methods and hope all babies can be exposed to these methods early.

hmm... I wonder if others here also experience the same as me... with others thinking that our children are stressed and pitiful to start flashcards program early... Anyone can share your experience?

chanshane,
I did not get the book on physically superb baby. Can share with me what to do from the book? What are the important stimulation that is not in the book "how smart is your baby"?
I started swimming for my boy since 2.5 months old. Does that book discuss about swimming?

Hi Lyn,

I have purchased the following 3 books:
How Smart is your Baby
How to teach your child to read
How to teach your child math
Think I'll finish the above before buying any more GD books.

For the slide, I'm thinking of modifying it to use just my bed. Of course, there is no incline angle but baby can creep a little and exercise his limbs too. Do you think this is workable?

As for whether the child is pitiful or not, you are the best judge as his/her monther. Do you think the child is enjoying himself? If yes, it is more playtime to him. Don't be too bothered with what others are saying. Ultimately, there is no better way to learn than thru' a fun-loving way for the child.

hi babygirl..... i din actually follow the gd mtd very strictly..... but i give my boy lots of time on his tummy......frankly speaking i do not think it is really neccessary to buy the crawling track..... cos it is really a short term thing...... btw if u dun mind printing urself i actually have the dots ppt which u can buy cards and print urself or show on the computer.... if u want i can send u a copy..... (as for childbrain website it is www.childbrain.org ) actually i dun really use alot of downloaded flashcards.... normally i'll see whether it is something that my kids will like or not..... oh yah btw u are pregnant now rite shichida sells a cd with alpha music... they usu play it before class and doing right brain activities.... think it is abt $60 for 2 cds when i buy...... u can consider...... i like it very much... it really helps to calm my cranky kids down and when they hear the music they know it is time to settle..... oh yah and for the maths cards do u want to use the 65 days mtd or gd mtd.... i prefer the gd mtd which i think is easier.....
hi lyn
the how smart is ur baby covers till age 1 and physically superb goes beyond and covers brachiation.... as for swimming they have a new book how to teach ur baby to swim...... actually i dun follow the books very strictly but try to use their ideas as a foundation..... thou tempted but following the mtd strictly seems impossible for me.... u are really right to say that the gd mtd dun really seem like the "norm" here.... some will feel we are really hard on the kids but when they see how eager the kids are to do the prog they will have nothing to say...... i just feel we are doing sth with our kids but not doing any testing at all so there shouldnt be any stress involved..... and anyway very few pple knows what my kids are on the mtd..... guess the most impt thing is how ur boy feels does he love the prog..........

Hi Chanshane,
Reading through the book also makes me wonder how close we can keep to the programme, whether we have the time/energy and can stay committed. Told my hubby he'll play an important part as he'll knock off work earlier than me for sure. Told him he doesn't have to pick me up, can go home first and practise with baby, and I'll take a cab home myself. Think this is the only solution. The CDs sound like a good idea. Will consider.

So you think the above quote for the printing of math cards is expensive? I've actually ordered from the mum andpaid her already but cancelled when I heard from another mum it's too ex. Good thing she allows me to cancel. I have no idea what's the norm, but am thinking if I can't get hold of one through other means, then have to pay lor. Yes, pls send me the dots ppt, thanks much. My email is [email protected]

I intend to start with the GD method at home first, as I don't think I'll be sending my girl to SM classes before 6mths. But when do we start to introduce math to the child? Which one first? Language or Math? What abt pic cards?

Hi Lyn,
Therein lies my problem. Is there any order to follow in teaching a baby? I think from birth I can start with the contrast B&W cards, sensory and motor development as discussed in the How Smart is Your Baby book. But I have no idea when to introduce math and language and when does the flashing of dot cards and Eng/Chin cards come in? (same questions as above to Chanshane). Although I read that language development starts at Stage 2 - simple Q&A and poem reading and allowing baby to finish the last word. ut how to proceed from there? Is that discussed in the How to Teach your child to read book?

Hi Lyn, poohy and chanshane,
I have the books
How to teach your child to read
How to teach your child math
How to train your child to be physically superb
and the intelligence book as well.

I finished reading the intelligent one and started a bit on the maths bookas I intended to start with the dot cards 1st as I understand from lawrence (the guy who sold the GD cards) that experienced mums told him after flashing the english cards, they have prob getting the child to concentrate on the dots cards. Is that true?

I started showing my baby b/w picture cards like in the GD sets at birth. I did not flash, just put it next to her cot let her c and change the cards occasionally. I have never gone to starting the GD prog proper like flashing maths and english cards cos I read from the book that once start must continue cannot stop so a bit scared to start.. how ah?

I am calculating, if we flash say 5 cards to baby each session, it will only take less than 1min of out time? How sure are we that our baby will absorb even though the book says so? I dun think the baby would know what we are doing right?

Btw, are you all working mums or SAHM? I am a working mum. Hence, I find it difficult to follow the prog to flash 3 times daily. how do you ladies do it?

Hi Lyn,
When you mentioned that

"When I started, 5 eng card, 3 sessions a day." Do you change 1-2 of the 5 cards after the 1st 5 days as mentioned in the GD book?

"Then I add 5 maths dots back to back, 3 times a day. Then add 5 chinese back to back, 3 times a day." Can I assume that it's 15 cards each session? after the 5 eng cards, straight away the maths tehn straight away the chinese cards? so all in all, each session would take you less than 5 mins? Do you conduct each session after each feed? or each bath etc or when she just woke up from sleep etc? After the flashing session, what do you proceed on to do with your baby after you put away the cards?

When you mentioned "I change cards very fast now. 10 cards every 2 - 3 days for Eng, another 10 for chinese.", do you change all the 10 cards for english and 10 cards for chinese or you followed the GD programme to retire the oldest card each day and introduce a new card into the set each day?

Like you, I seldom talked to friends about flash cards too cos they also told me they don't wanna be my kids cos very pressurised and stressed and pitiful. I have not officially started full steam on the prog but I already gotten such remarks from friends a bit depressing and no one to share
sad.gif

Hi lyn,
Initially, I did not dare to let my baby sleep on her tummy since birth. But I started doing so after the 2nd month, and I found that she slept better on tummy. Friends and parents told me it's very dangerous but she has been doing it since. So you can imagine my challenge too.

Hi chanshane,
What does shichida cd with alpha music do? can just purchase it directly at the counter of their office?

Hi babygirl, Chanshane and lyn,
You attended the anenatal class at Shichida? Is it beneficial? I missed it when they introduced it last year as I was due le when they called me. Can share with me more about it, may like to attend the next time round.

babygirl,
The bed might have too much friction for the baby to crawl initially. The crawling track is smooth and is for baby to sense and enjoy being able to move
happy.gif
I made a crawling track, but did not use much. Maybe that's why my boy did not start creeping at 3 months... lol...

chanshane,
I dun think I will demonstrate the flashcards sessions to others
happy.gif

babygirl,
As for when to start depends on the baby. As long as baby can see, you can start
happy.gif
I tried the poem reading, but was not consistent
happy.gif
too many things to do already :p

arielle,
Got do is better than dun have at all
happy.gif
If each session is 5 cards, it will only take 5 seconds or less
happy.gif

I think you should read the book again before you start the flashcards sessions. We need to trust our babies more.
Just do once or twice a day. I am SAHM, and i cannot even achieved the 9 sessions a day! The most is 3 sessions a day.

Yes, I started with following the book's recommendations of changing 1-2 cards per set per day after first 5 days. Now I do not do that anymore. I will change the whole set
happy.gif
1-2 cards per set per day is the minimum to change. If your kid is faster, gotta change faster. I conduct the sessions when he's happy, well fed and well rested.

Yes, now I change all the 10 cards. I realised that when I have shown the cards more than 3 times, my boy will look at me or look away. So now, I change the whole set. He will stare at all the cards during the sessions.

hmm... I have another group of friends who follow flashcards and shichida method
happy.gif
Now, I mingle with them and talk about these methods
happy.gif
We share ideas and the challenges we face. And also the diet of our babies.

Yes.. Many people are "shocked" and disagree that my boy sleeps on his tummy
happy.gif

I did not attend the antenatal class. I read his books and do what's recommended from his books.

hi babylovepink....
maybe u dun have to be too stress abt following the prog strictly.... doing sth even a little bit is better than nothing..... sometimes i feel as long as the parents are willing to give the child opportunity to learn... no matter what mtd it is... it will still benefit the child... eg if u feel u dun have time to prepare the cards u can make use of things at home and tell ur child their names what they are used for and when they get older bring them out and expose them to diff things... i feel it is really the attitude and effort that counts.... i actually started all three as in language dots and bits with my boy without first starting the b/w cards.... the how smart ur baby is only out when my boy is 9 mths plus so it did not really help me alot thou..... normally what i do is do dots cards 1st as it involves imaging then words followed by bits....
will be sending the dots file to u.... i have added the sounds to the ppt so maybe u can customise ur own shows and show it to ur baby.....

hi arielle,
i dun follow the gd mtd of flashing 3 times a day.... i do everything in one go eg 5 dots.... 15 words plus lots of bits or program of intelligence etc......
btw i din attend the prenatal class... heard of it after my 2nd child's birth... but was told by the instructor that it is very good....
actually when i flash the gd cards to my elder child i did not expect any results.... and i was doing them at a very fast speed and incorporated it into my shichida prog.... i din even read the gd book before starting as i dun like the title.... it was only after one day when my girl showed me that she could read some words that i was really amazed and began to read the books and realised that the mtd is not really as pressuring as the title....
actually my kids prog is really kind of own time own target if some days they dun feel like it or i feel abit off we dun do it at all.... if they like certain cards we could see it for days and months and still they would always ask for that set as a treat..... on some days we see more cards if they are in a good mood.... some days we just look at a few.... sometimes i flash the cards sometimes we bring them out and then we relate them eg.... show them a tree and give them a "tree" word card and tell them that they mean the same thing.... i hope this helps......
as for the alpha music cd was told it helps to bring the brain to right brain state or sth like that.... u have to order and then collect one week later.... maybe u can call up the school to check....

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for sharing so much
happy.gif
I am re-reading the books now, would like to start the programme soon
happy.gif

So the sessions each day are not at the same time as you flash as and when your child is well fed, rested and happy?

Hmmm, meaning you change all the 10 cards everyday? That's alot!

Can you share with me more about the diet of our babies? what should we take note of?

Hi Chanshane,
From what you shared, I gathered that you flash once a day with every type of cards incorporated?

I will check with shichida on the music. Thanks!

Hi poohy, lyn, chanshane
For the maths dot cards, do you follow the book to flash till 20dots and introduce step 2 which is introducing the equations and continue more dot cards? As doing so would mean more sessions, do you combine the equations and subsequently problem solving all ay 1 go and together with english and chinese flash cards, BITS etc?

arielle,

ya i introduce step2 equations once i reach 20 dots
happy.gif
I just do dots first then follow by 9 equations daily lor...
happy.gif
yup, do all the cards together... if bb willing to see, I do more BITS cards ... if not, I will continue when I return home in the evening from work.

Hi Arielle and Poohy,

The method above on math is Shichida or GD? Going to buy a set of GD math cards, and reading up on tips to start the kit.

baby girl,

its GD method. SM's 65 day programme introduce all 100 dots before starting equations if i din remember wrongly.

Hi Poohy,
You flash 2 times a day? once in the morning and once at night?9 equations all in the morning?

Hi babygirl,
Yes it's the GD method
happy.gif

arielle,

i flash once in the morning only.... only if my bb is in great great mood and i am vv free that evening do i flash in the evening
happy.gif
Ya 9 equations in the morning at one go.

wow, didn't realise there is this thread on
happy.gif

poohy & lyn,
Do you or are you going to practice the 65 days maths? what to do if teacher say all to start on the 65 days maths? will it clash with GD maths?

I've GD books but not completed reading them yet
sad.gif
also loan out to a friend already. I've not read up on SM books yet cos in chinese & worried that after reading through also dunno what he's really saying LOL..

Lyn,
what are the books by SM on diet & nutrition?

mummies,

can advise on this - for equations do you only show answers dot cards and read out the equation?
meaning if 1+1 =2. show 1 dot 1 dot and 2 dots or simply show 2 dots?
happy.gif

sunflower,

if u already doing GD maths halfway, complete it before u start on 65 days maths lor. the 65 days maths program is not to teach bb maths... it is supposed to wake the instant calculation ability that is already present in the right brain. That is what I gathered from the teachers lah.

what do u wanna learn more abt SM books? If its on linking memory, read tony buzan's books. its in english.

re: maths

when u r doing equations initially, meaning when u first introduce addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, u show all 3 cards. Once u r done with those initial stage, u can then just flash the answer dot card.

sunflower,

Yes, I will do the 65 days program. Next week, the sinsei will be starting Day 1 of the program. Then we are suppose to do Day 2-7 at home, and the sinsei will do Day 8, etc. So it will complement the 65 days program.

There's one book on the diet and nurtition - "nao3 nei4 shi2 pin3 ruan3 ling2 zhi3". I haven't got time to go and find the book yet.
sad.gif
Last time I also dun read chinese books at all. But now no choice, gotta pick it up ;)

The seminar for diet and nutrition is open for waitlist already
happy.gif
I met Mrs. Khoo yesterday. Me and my hubby will be going. Now waiting for them to call me to tell me the dates.

I think if there are very good books for babies' development, even if it's in German, I will also read :p but will be super duper slow lor... kekeke...

poohy,

I'm at multiplication now for GD
happy.gif
keke... so will continue to show all 3 cards.
oh so better not to start 65-day programme huh.
sad.gif
oh dear, the sensei wants to start and next week will start day 1 of the programme.

lyn,
are you getting the SM dots cards? thanks for the book name, will go take a look if I've the time.
happy.gif

seminar for diet & nutrition for children - hmmm that sounds interesting.

btw, when do I intro the 'zero' card? I've completed 1-100 already.

sunflower,
If I were you, I will stop GD's and start the 65 day program. Then after the 65 day, continue the GD program from where you stopped. hmm.. since you are in multiplication, maybe you can go through division this week, then it will be almost done for equations already...

I will not be getting the SM random dots. Our sinsei said no need
happy.gif
We can use the GD cards that we have
happy.gif
We had a chat with the sinsei yesterday before and after the class
happy.gif
She bothered to go through what Aloysius missed when I was feeding him after the class. For the variety and organised cards, seems like not very important to buy.

I saw the photographic memory set. I am very tempted to get that. kekeke... For me and hubby to train our own photographic memory :p

lyn,

I asked sensei also, she says no need to get. Just use my current set will do
happy.gif

also she says must start preparing & doing flashcards liao
happy.gif
aiya forgot ask her what category or topic or is it up to us?

I didn't see that set. Tempted to get the language genius le. Are you getting that Language Genius?

Hi

anybody know when is the parents support group being held and where? I heard Mrs Khoo mentioned during the seminar but she did not mention the dates and time. Do we need to register.

I went for the Parent Education Seminar at Orchard Hotel last week. I dun find it very informative and more abt promoting the course and her CD/book. Wondering if I am the only one or am I hard at absorbing what she said.

sunflower,
Another sinsei said should DIY the flashcards ourselves... the cards will have mother's love... lol... I bought 2 BP of 1000 cards...

cupcake,
Hello.. Remember me? Your child also goes for Shichida?
When is your timeslot? Mine is Sunday at HDB Hub.
We need to register for the parents support group. It's on 1 Feb for below 3 years old. 2 Feb for above 3 years old. The below 3 years old group is full already. No more registration.
I find the PEC last week quite informative and good. It's revision for me in the majority of her talk. I read about them from Shichida's books. I picked up small tips that we should do during the class
happy.gif
For example, parents should not be repeating to the child the questions that the sinsei asked during ESP. And parents gotta trust the child. These are small tips, but very important for right brain training
happy.gif

1Feb is at HDB Hub, 2 Feb is at Springleaf. Next support group will be 2-3 weeks later, and alternate venue.

sunflower,
Did you sign up? I am going for the 2 Feb session, cos 2-3 weeks later is kinda too late. hahaha... Mrs Khoo also told me that yesterday.

lyn,

oh dear, the session is full already
sad.gif

will they have another session ?

btw this is parents support group or the home teaching session? or are they the same?

lyn,

no
sad.gif
cos forgot about it and also I was already late for class so cheong in for class already.
After class went to Tensai looklookseesee
sad.gif

even the 2 Feb fully booked?

Oh dear, all the sessions are full??? Maybe I m thinking that she will teach us more on how to conduct home study session which I find she hardly touch on. But I found the 5 min sleep whispering and the 8 sec hug thing quite useful. Sometimes we are juz so caught up with daily routine that we forget to tell our children that we luv them.

Lyn
Of course I rem u from the cooking and receipe thread. I am in the friday class.
happy.gif

cupcake,

Me and hubby felt the same as you! The PEC is not informative at all....I still walk out of the seminar clueless! Don't know how to start home schooling!? *sob*

Anyone can advise or link me to somewhere?

I just received my BP Maths dot cards and english cards. Which one to start first?

Fates/Cupcake
You can try the website sgparenting.com for shichida/gd info.

I went for PEC 2 years back, and like you guys came out pretty lost too. You'll gradually pick things up. Think there's a page or 2 in the PEC book which talks about home practice.

cupcake,
In this hectic society, we always tend to forget to love our children and show them our love. The teaching of how to conduct home practice will be done by the parent support group. I think that nite, she got loads to cover, and already gone very fast.

fates,
For the Maths dots, I believe your sinsei would have told you that they will be starting Day 1 of the 65 days program next lesson. Then we start the maths program with the dots.

arielle,
I will continue the Shichida program next term. Are you going to sign up?

Hi Lyn,
What are your comments on Shichida so far? They have reserved a slot for us for the April term and we would need to confirm by 27Jan after which they will gif up the slot to someone else. By April, my baby would be coming 8mths, not sure if it's a good time for her to join in??

Hi Lyn,

The sensei didn't say leh! Arrghhh!
What I bought is the GD dots card I think...do you think I can use it with the 65 days Maths program?

arielle,
So far, my boy is enjoying the classes.
I am a KS parent. I will start as early as possible. If you do read Shichida and Glen Doman books, they advocates the earlier the better
happy.gif
I wanted to sign up last term, but I was late...

fates,
Yes, you can use the GD dots cards. I will be using them. My boy's sinsei says ok. The sinsei will start Day1 next lesson, then we gotta continue Day2 to Day7.

Hi Lyn,
I read that too. Initially, I wanted to put her in Jan term but by Jan, she is only 5mths, I am worried she will fuss or may want to sleep etc so I am planning to put her in Apr or Jul class. Hopefully by then she will be better?Dunno which term I should commence the prog...

hi, anyone ...

I'm interested to know more about wat is Shichida and Glen Doman method, do u have e book,
can i borrow from u ?

and how much to sign up for shichida class ?
did any one baby got results already ?

Thanks

By the way , my ger already 16m is it too late to start ??

Thanks lyn
happy.gif

I will wait for this Sunday's class to start my DS on the Maths program. Ask you about flashing words....how many in one time do I flash to him? If I can only flash one time to him in a day, how long do I reuse those cards, before i change to the next set of words? (sorry hope you understand my question)..

Hi Arielle,
My DS started when he is 8mths old, and yes he can sit through and concentrate in class.

Hi sharon,
You can check out the Shichida website for more details --> www.shichidamethod.com

Hi Shichida mummies,
Any feedback as to which branch or trainers are better? Springleaf vs Toa Payoh? Any difference?

Hi Fates,
how long has your son been attending the class? is he in the Jan intake?

Hi Sharon,
I know that per term fees for weekend class is $780, weekday class is $740. Registration fees $50, GST $50, $300 refundable deposit, $170 for Parents education course (PEC) for 1 parent only. 2 parents is $290.

Hi Lyn,

Just to check with you.
You mentioned about the support group for the shichida parents.
I talked to the sensai last week but she said only for those who have signed up for more than 1 year???
I am also quite lost
How did you sign up for the support group?

fates,
Thanks for e wedsite .

arielle,
WoW , e pricing very exp liao, i don think i can afford it.

By e way, just sharing some tips with you.
I have been doing flash card(from popular book shop) to my ger, when she is 9mth old, one day 3 times (2 times doing by my maid)Im a FTWM, let she touch a lot of nature things like tree, glass, leaf, sand , stone, flower)
Now she is 16m, she can regonice all e word, body parts, all e name of veg & fruits, all e name of animals . no. from 1 to 10 .
she even thot can point to e correct body parts from top to toe, when i just show her e words of the bodyparts.(like baby can read dvd)

I just want to says....
Izzit whether nessesary e attend such exp class??

hi sharon..... since u have been inputing to ur baby since young maybe u can try to add memory games to play with ur child..... for me i feel that gog to shichida when the baby is young helps as i dun really know what to do to help stimulate the baby's brain for my elder ger...... but if u are already doing it well then maybe u can wait and see how ur child progress first.......... anyway for babies class it is more of inputing to child..... i have two kids the elder one is on the prog but the younger one is not.... but progress wise if compare the two when they are at the same age.... definitely the younger one is better...... so i just feel that it is all up to if u know how to stimulate ur child..... if u dunno how to it would be good to attend the class and learn from there... if u know how i feel that mummies is always the best teacher and u can do it at the most suitable time for ur child as for young babies u dunno when they may be cranky..... just to share.....

Back