Shichida

chanshane,
Good idea, I must try it.Thanks so much

memory games is it like..
1) show one picture to e baby first , then after that, show 2 picture let her choose , which one is e correct one is it???

or

2) play the cards games,show her e opened card and location ( thinks need to start with 4 cards first), then close the cards, let her open e 2 same card is it???

or can some one share e idea????

can i just check mommies who is teaching their baby on Maths program..

1)is it only can use maths dot method????

I LOST in teaching my ger maths ??? can someone share more about it

and

anyone one interested to have our own playgroup??? can email me at [email protected]

Hi,

I have a list of following items which I had bought from Shichida Tensai shop. I'm now trying to clear my shelf as I have finished flashing to my kids. Email to me at [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks!

1. My favourite Genius cards
2. Variety Dot cards
3. Organised Dot cards

There's a co-teacher for my boy's class on Sunday, and am not happy over it. She took over lessons for like, half an hour. Quite piss off because how can SM use our class as training ground for their staff? The co-teacher spoke too softly I got difficulty hearing.. PISSED
angry.gif

Did u feedback with the admin or the main teacher?cos think is not fair for u people without proper explaination or extra time for that lesson...

Hi,
just wondering if there are any mummies who signed up for Shichida in this April term? Maybe we can start a discussion on the classes?:p

Hi arielle
My 11th mth old dd is currently attending her first term in SM this April. My 3.5 yr old son is in his second term already. Both having the same time slot, so i bring ds and hubby accompany dd. How old is your kid?

hi Constance,
My 8mth old dd also just started SM classes in Apr. Her classes are on Fri afternoons. So far she has attended only 1 lesson cos the 1st Fri was Gd Fri PH, and last week she could not attend due to teething fever.

My son, turning 3 in Jul, has been attending SM for 2 years. His classes are on Thu afternoons.

What day/timing are your kids' classes?

Hi mommies,
can I chk if u do home practice. I abit lazy and my gal not keen on them. She will grab my cards if i flash them. Or hang on to me etc...makes it difficult. But she enjoys the classes though

Hi Grace
Both my kids are attending the Sunday 12.30pm classes. Judging from the timing, you must be a SAHM rite? How do you find your son's benefit from the classes so far?

hi Constance,
Yes - I am a SAHM.
My son likes to attend the classes and he enjoys doing most of the activities. At home, he would bug me to show him flashcards and do some of the SM activities. So far he's still happy and enthusiastic doing home practice, so I try my best to do as much as possible. But sometimes it's very challenging in the sense that by the time I have prepared the materials, I simply don't have the time/energy to go through the practice.

Do you do home practice regularly? Do you buy a lot of flashcards? Where do you normally source for your flashcards?

Yeah, i does home practice (mainly flashcards) with my kids every nite. Flashcards mostly DIYed, downloaded from the websites. But running out of ideas for other games, eg ESP and instant photomemory.

Hi Constance, Grace and Cupcake,
My DH is 7.5mths when she attended shichida this april. She is attending the Sat 10.45am session. Anyone in the same session as well? Who is your teacher? how you find the classes so far? I have yet to sit down and do home practice with her yet but have been on flashcards with her for some time before she was in Shichida.

hi arielle,
Do you go to Toa Payoh or Springleaf? Mine's at Toa Payoh. So far for the 1 session my dd attended, I find the teacher above average. At least she can capture my dd's attention. One thing I notice about the flashcard session is that some of the topics had been used during my son's class for the last 2 terms. Example: xin(1)de(4)jiao(4)yu(4) - all the cards consist of 4 Chinese characters. I thought the contents of the flashcards should be tailored according to the kids' age? When my son attended SM 2 years ago at 8mth old, the flashcards used by his teacher were mainly pictorial and single words were gradually introduced. Will ask the teacher about this when we go this Fri.

How do you find your dd's teacher? Is the class full? Do you make your own flashcards?

Hi arielle
my ds's teacher is teacher Shuqing, DD's is teacher Irene. Same as yours?
Have not been doing home practice with the kids for one whole week, cos still in pain from my wisdom tooth extraction last week.
sad.gif

Hi Grace, constance and poohy,
I forget to mention that she is attending the class in Springleaf.I have just attended the PEC last sat held at SGP expo. I have yet to start her on home practice apart from the GD flashcards that I am currently doing. I read that you have already started home practice with your children. Apart from flashcards, what other home practice do you do? where do you get the materials? All DIY?

My sensei is Malay. Her name is Mariam. She is quite good in terms of flashing cards, spoken english etc. However, I find that she seemed to wanna finish the syllabus in time before the session ends, like go through motion. Don't have the "xin". Anyone feeling the same as me?

My class is full. What about yours?

Any of you requests for a change in session/slot in the next term?

Any of you flashing GD cards too? Would it clash with those in Shichida? How do you complement both?

Hi Grace,
Is your baby also 8mth old? I don't remember the sensei flashing chinese cards. I wonder is it due to the fact that she is Malay? Seems like the syllabus is not the same for classes of the same age?

Hi arielle
actually i am now flashing the GD maths cards, but based on the 65 day SM maths programme.
I downloaded a fair bit of instant memory games from sgparenting website and let my son played during home practice. He is also very interested in linking and peg memory.
For dd, i only do flashcards, cos her attention span is shorter.

Actually i think the nitikin blocks and instant memory board game from tensai store r good buy, if your kid is interested.

my dd has been in shichida for 2 terms, nw in 3rd term in TP branch.
Anyone can share more abt their home-practice sessions?
I merely flash cards and do photo memory.

hi arielle,
I think the contents of the classes vary even though it's for the same age group. My nephew used to have a Malay teacher in SM class too and Malay songs were played during the class. I guess the teacher must able to speak the language before she can do the flashcards, hence no Chinese flashcards in your dd's class.

As for teachers, I think it boils down to personality and passion even though all the SM teachers have been through training. I like my son's 1st teacher very much. She was very passionate and enthusiastic to teach, and very patient with the kids. She would go through the lesson contents with the parents at the end of the class so that we need not take notes during class. When the kids' birthdays fell during the week, she would prepare a birthday card and the class would sing happy birthday song. On the last week of each term, she would ask parents to bring cameras to take photos. Such gestures brought the parents and teacher closer. So far, she's still the best teacher but she's no longer with SM.

And yes, my dd's class is full (even for a weekday class). As the parents in my dd's class are very nice, I'll probably stick with the current class.

For home practice, I used to make nice materials for PM, ESP and others. But all the researching and making take up so much time and effort that I decide being simple is best. Now even food coupons from KFC, Pizza hut and BK have become useful home practice materials.

Other than the 1000pc flashcards bought from BP, I have made my own flashcards too. But this is really time consuming. If you know any other sources of flashcards, please let me know.

Do you take notes after each lesson?

Hi Constance,
Before the 65day maths programme, have you started any GD maths programme with your child? I am currently doing the GD maths programme and this was done before I placed my ger in SM. In this case, should I continue what I am doing with her or stop and introduce SM 65 day programme? Any mummies can help?

What is peg memory? I don't remember doing peg memory in class. Can give me some examples of activities of peg memory?

Are the nitikin blocks and instant memory board game too advanced for 8mth old baby?

Hi Wei Ling,
How old is your dd? Where do you get resources for photographic memory?

Hi Grace,
We sang malay songs for the past 2 lessons. Hmmm.. in this case, would we be shortchanged because the Malay teacher can't do chinese flashcards? But the parents in our class are quite nice and I like the timing so dilemma whether to change classes?

I am also planning to prepare materials properly before I start home practice but may take some time. So far, I immediately jot down in my phone the activities they do in each session after the class ended each time. Anyone doing that? Any of you repeat the activities they do in class again at home?

hi Constance,
For the nitikin blocks, are they the ones with patterns? How are the blocks used during your ds' class? Those that you bought from Tensai store, is a set of pictures included for referencing and building?

hi arielle,
I think my teacher has flashed 1 (or 2) sets of Chinese flashcards, and played some Chinese songs. The amt of Chinese is not that much, so don't think you are short-changed. Do you have flashcards with Chinese words?

For young babies like ours, they don't do peg memory. Did your teacher do linking memory? Mine did, using 5 cards! Personally I think it's too many cards, the babies were simply not interested in this activity.

I will try to take notes after class today if my dd doesn't fuss. Perhaps we can swop notes to see whether there is any difference in our class contents?

Hi arielle
I didn't start my kids on GD maths programme. Before SM, i was just flashing word cards to them. It so happened that when i bot the GD maths card from this forum, my son was due to start SM. Hence using the GD cards for 65 programme lor.

Peg memory means linking numbers and pics together. eg. 1 tie, 2 Noah, 3 ma, as used in SM. Yeah, like your 8mth old bb, my 11mth old dd is not shown peg memory during SM classes. Guess they r too young for nitikin blocks and instant memory board game too.

Hey Grace
The teacher will pass a set of the blocks and 2 pics to the kids and ask them to arrange the blocks into shapes shown in the pics. Guess it is to improve their 3-D imagination.

I think there r different types of nitikin blocks being sold at the tensai store. Some come with different patterns and colours. Some with solid colours without patterns. Yeah, pics will be included for the kids to follow the shapes.

Hi Grace & Constance,
Yes I flash chinese word cards to my bb at home. What chinese flashcards do they flash in the class? single words? phrases or idioms? they same chinese songs together? I rem they flash jap cards, the clock, picture, cartoon etc but no chinese flashcards.

Mine also did link memory with 5 cards too, so far for 2nd -3rd sessions.

Ok! Let me take down notes this session and we cane exchange notes
happy.gif

Constance, guess we dun have to spend money to buy those blocks and board games yet right?

Hi arielle
I actually bot for my elder son and he likes them very much, esp the instant memory board games.
Haha i think i can't exchange notes with you for my dd, cos i am attending with my ds. Everytime i ask dh what dd's teacher teach, he will tell me "Flashcards lor". sign. such a general term....

constance,

if u type shichida in yahoo auctions, there's a lady who sells customised photo M cards, can also use the card for esp games. But they r those small IC size cards.

Grace: Personally i feel 5 cards r too many for 2 yr old grps.
my dd usually dun partipate enthusiastically in tis section. Sigh*

hi Wei Lin,
Don't be disheartened. With practice, your dd will grow to like the activity. Last time when my boy was doing the syllabus for 2-year-olds, he was also not interested in LM. However with regular home practice, he likes LM now. My baby dd still doesn't know what's required of her when it comes to LM, so 5 cards is a handful for me to do during class.

How do you find the quality of the materials that you purchased from yahoo auction?

hi arielle,
Today, the teacher did not flash Chinese flashcards. Nor did she play Chinese songs.
I asked her about flashing the set of Chinese flashcards xin(1)de(4)jiao(4)yu(4) (all the cards consist of 4 Chinese characters, no pictures) during the 1st lesson and she agreed that only pictures should be used.

I will consolidate the activities done today in my dd's class and send you a copy. Can pm me your email?

Hi mummies,
did any of you buy the variety and organised dot cards? any use? and what's the difference between these and the GD dot cards? I am thinking of getting them but not the random dots as I have the GD set which I find is better.

What about the language genius cards? GD better?

did any of you use the my favourite genius cards(mostly on pictures)?

Any comments on the above?

Hi Constance,
I think husbands are all the same. When he first brought our dd into the class, he also gave me very generic answers, so now I attempt to bring her in myself
happy.gif

Hi Wei lin,
Did you get the cards from the yahoo auctions? Do you find it useful?

Hi grace,
I pm you already
happy.gif
we can exchange notes
happy.gif

Hi arielle
yeah lor, dats y i am thinking of bringing her myself at least once every month. But frankly lor, it's very tiring to bring a 11mth old to class. She will climb up and down and struggle to get out of my arms sometimes. During times when she manage to quiet down, when her classmates start to fidget and struggle, she will start again. Really "monkey see monkey do", cos her classmates also behave the same way.
sad.gif

On your GD dots qn, I think GD only have random type rite?

I only got memory genius set D, E and F (also pix cards). Dunno whether the same as favourite genius cards.

btw, i got the noddy fun book for my son. But disappointed to discover that some answers found in one of the book are not correct leh. Thinking of asking the tensai staff during next lesson.

Hi Mummies
Anyone of you sign up for the parent support group seminar this week?

Hi arielle,

GD 65 days programme - you are only allowed to skip one to two days. If you skipped more than tat, you will have to re-start again.

peg memory - this prog only start from 6 yrs old group.

the nitikin blocks and instant memory board game - so far I din buy any of tis from the Tensai shop becos it's abit ex la. So I just let my son do the blocks in class.

Noddy fun book - I ordered it from the forum but haven't got it yet. Hopefully the answers are correct.

Memory genius set - I have borrowed from my son's classmates. But I din showed to my boys. Dun really know how to start showing to them.

Last week my 2 yo son did the LM wif 5 cards. The sensei flash the cards and then tell the mummy to flip it over (don't let the kids see). I quite surprised tat my son knows where is the card when the sensei flash the particular card and ask the kids where is it. My son actually get 4 out of 6 cards correct. The sensei also din flash Chinese words, only Chinese,Malay,spanish and jap songs.

btw, my 2nd son is now 2nd term and elder son is in 4th term.

hi mummies,
I agree that bringing babies to class is very tiring, need to constantly carry/support them, make sure they are engaged with activities and not disturb others. It's such a contrast with bringing kids > 18mth old who can understand instructions and do the activities without fuss.

I have the variety and organised dots cards. They are supplementary to the random dots. Being A4 size, they are really big and cumbersome to flash.

For Favourite Genius cards, they are flashcards with common topics, right? If you already have some of the topics, no need to buy.

Hi Constance,
You seem to have bought a lot of things from Tensai store. How much did you pay for the Nitikin blk, memory board game and Noddy fun books?

home practice

Actually I touch on more on my elder son.
We'll go thru his school's spelling (Chinese n English) first. Then I will move on to his Shichida like the monthly worksheet (one pg), Maths worksheet, diary composition writing/colour Mandala (hmework), flash 65 days program, recite poem. We took abt one hr to finish.

For my 2nd son, at the same time I will switch on CD (like Sanzhijin, other lang) for him to listen. After that, I will switch on DVD on flash cards like maths or English. I will also personally flash cards to him. Sometimes I will also write down my elder son's spelling words on the blank flashcards and flash to my both sons.

For me, I'm doing "one-man" show everyday. Frankly speaking, I'm really tired but no choice. I'm doing this for the sake of my kids.

Hi nglhoon
My son (3.5 yrs old) is being taught peg memory in class now.
I always forget to continue my dot cards flashing, hence always never go beyond 5 days, then have to restart again. sigh

hi grace
yeah nglhoon is rite. noddy is ard $106. Nitikin blocks ard $80+. The rest i can't remember, cos bought for quite long already. I am too lazy to source or DIY other similar type of training materials (except flaschcards lah), so buy off the rack lor. You can actually get quite good materials from popular as well.

Hi,
U r really hardworking moms. Me the lazy mom dun do any home practice. I tried flashing cards but found it more stressful for me and her cos she will grab my cards and I ended up scolding her. So I decided to stop cos its causing unhappiness. I juz do the homework with her everyday. I really admire those moms who can home made cards for their kids on their free time.

This is my gal's 2nd term with shichida and she is 19 months.

Hi cupcake
My dd will grab my cards too. Dat's y some of my cards r in quite bad shape. :p I think mayb your dd is curious and wants to see the cards close up.
What kinda SM homework does a 19mth old kid have? same as those worksheets for older kids?

Hi constance
yeah, maybe she is curious. I ended up flashing cards standing up and moving away from her constantly while she jumps or tip toes trying to reach the cards.

The teachers give monthly worksheets, mostly linking the dots together.

I would like to know more abt noddy. Issit in chinese or english. Wats the difference between this storybook and those sold outside in maybe popular?

Hi cupcake
I am not sure whether popular sells the noddy funbook set. It is actually not a storybook, but rather a package of 10 activity books which our kids can self-check their answers by using a colour kit set. It is in English and Jap.

Hi Constance,
Same for my girl. She starts to fidget, stretch, wriggle out of my arms, whine etc and when she stops, the other babies in the class starts and the cycle starts again
sad.gif

Yes, GD cards are only random dot cards. Did you get the variety and organised dot cards too?

Which age group are the memory genius set D, E and F and noddy books used for? <1yr old can use?

Hi Batman,
Do you mean Shichida 65days math programme? I understand that GD does not have 65day math programme. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for highlighting on skipping part. I have yet to start. Seems like this malay teacher of my girl's class not bad, she actually asked if we want to start the 65day math programme as a class. If yes, she will start next Sat 1st session and we will continue from there. She even asked us to bring the PEC booklet so that she can go through the steps with us. Any of your teachers doing that next session?

I have signed up hubby and I for 10th May Parents session for parents with children less than 3yrs old. Anyone signed up as well?

Hi Grace,
How often do you use the variety and organised dot cards with the random cards to supplement? The sensei explained to me that we would need the variety dot cards from the 3rd cycle of the 65days programme but will seldom use the organised dot cards?

Hi mummies,
any of you purchased Favourite Genius cards? I tot they are picture cards? What's the difference between this and the memory genius sets?

Last Sat, I saw some materials that are sold loosely in big A4 sheets with pictures in grid form. Are these for linking memory train? anyone knows?

RE: HOME PRACTICE
I just started home practice with my girl this week. For a start, I tried flashing about 100 cards, linking memory, photographic memory, HSP. I am planning to introduce speed reading, eye training and finger play. I think she is more interested in picture cards now than word cards. Anyone can advise how?

Hi arielle
I think noddy too difficult for <1 yr.
For flashcards, shld be okie.
I think you shld be talking about linking memory sets in A3 size. There are numbers on top of each pic rite? I got them for my son cos his teacher is teaching and encourages the kids to practise at home too.

I also feel that my dd is more interested in pic cards. I remembered asking her teacher before. She was telling me to start with pic first, as it attracts bb's attention better. Abit different from GD here...

Hi Constance,
Yes I agree. GD mentions about starting babies on dots and english cards but not to show picture cards too early. My baby will bounce when she sees picture cards. When I show her word cards, she will look at it for the 1st 2-3days but subsequent flashings of the same word cards in the next few days, she will look down, look left, look right. If I were to follow my baby's flow, I would change the entire set of english cards but she only saw like 6x for the 3 days? a bit too fast to change right? GD states 15x but every baby not the same right? Should I go with baby flow? She seems to be waiting for the picture cards to come next and once I flash piture cards, her eyes will lit up
sad.gif

Do we use random dot cards for the 4 cycles of the 65day programme? In each cycle, we only need random dot cards?

I will be switching her to the 65days programme once the sensei starts us this Sat.

Hi Grace,
Thanks!I received your spreadsheet! I kowtow to you! You are so detailed! will reply you once I fill in your spreadsheet
happy.gif

arielle
hi, can i check with u. after u had flash e 100 card to ur kid rite.
do ur do a test to see, whether they can remember e words or not ?

Hi Sharon,
I think best not to test babies at this age. The sensei keeps reiterating during the SM sessions "input" "input", so I don't test my daughter after flashing. I just input and enjoys the session with her. Sometimes even when she looks away, I also move on because the last thing I want from her is for her to lose interest.

Only during photographich memory would I ask her to choose the card that was seen previously.

Back