Prep for first baby

Vinnyy

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Just heads up, I'm actually a 30s guy, me and my wife are planning to have our first kid soon, starting to try for one around next year Feb.

So we have alot of questions just like any other newly parents do. My wife is foreigner and English is not her native language so I'm here instead. I understand that this is a forum for mom and me being a guy might cause some discomfort for the mommies here. Also I feel that I should be the one to do some of these homework and research instead for her.

So here goes
1) is there any recommended gynae that you all have? I have tried search through the Internet and forums and it seems that there is just too many names for me to follow up. Plus we do not know what to look for in a gynae

2) my wife wanted to get those folate/folic acid thing to prep us 3 months before trying, preferably those Japanese brand ones. Anyone of you know of any stores here that has it? Cause we are not sure if these capsules can be shipped here. Even so, we don't know what websites are safe to purchase them from

3) lastly, its concerning the cost. As my wife is not a PR yet, still pending after many months. We would like to know how much of my medisave can be used for her? Mainly for the prenatal checkups, ultrasound, maternity ward, surgery etc

Also if we decided to go for private, how much will it be subsidised

Thanks in advance!
Kelvin

1. Firstly, determine whether u prefer private or restructured hospital. U can also choose to be a private patient at restructured hospital. Cost will be cheaper. I personally recommend Dr Tan Wei Ching at SGH. Competent and no nonsense. Only downside is waiting times are abit longer at restructured hospital.
2. Any brand from a reputable pharmacy should be fine. Not sure of japanese brands.
3. I think you can get info from cpf website. My total bill (private A class room, 0 subsidies, 0 medisave) for an elective c section at sgh was 7+k. Fantastic care from the team, even if rooms are abit dated.

1. Firstly, determine whether u prefer private or restructured hospital. U can also choose to be a private patient at restructured hospital. Cost will be cheaper. I personally recommend Dr Tan Wei Ching at SGH. Competent and no nonsense. Only downside is waiting times are abit longer at restructured hospital.
2. Any brand from a reputable pharmacy should be fine. Not sure of japanese brands.
3. I think you can get info from cpf website. My total bill (private A class room, 0 subsidies, 0 medisave) for an elective c section at sgh was 7+k. Fantastic care from the team, even if rooms are abit dated.

Oh I see, thank you so much for the reply!
I have saw quite a few mommies here recommending Dr Tan from SGH, shall take a look at him.
So for you case, if I understand correctly, there's no subsidies?
Actually my wife is okay with both male and female gynae. But from what I heard, male gynae are usually better?
I'm still trying to research and gathering as much info as I can from the net. Once again, thanks for your help!

Actually the first step is to decide and go to see a gynae first. The gynae will check your wife for any underlying issue and understand her menses cycle. From there, the gynae can calculate and let u know the most fertile days after her first day of menses to try for child.

Actually the first step is to decide and go to see a gynae first. The gynae will check your wife for any underlying issue and understand her menses cycle. From there, the gynae can calculate and let u know the most fertile days after her first day of menses to try for child.

So we have get a pre conceivement screening beforehand? We were thinking to do our own preparation first and if can't conceive then we will go for checkup since we both are physically healthy, at least on the outside. We plan to work out and take the folic acid few months before we try for it

If you are determined to get preg next year then why waste time.
At least with my gynae's advice we shorten the "trying period".
Age of your wife also play a part on fertility.

I agree, you should always see a gynae first before doing anything else. If you're near Clementi, I'd like to recommend my obgyn, Dr Regina Ng. She offers preconception care, meaning she will help review your medical history and do some tests to help detect any problems that may be causing difficulties conceiving, apart from age. 30s is still a pretty good age to conceive naturally, but just in case you may want to see a gynae soon. Best of luck! :)

Back