Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Hi Constance,
You can try out City Water Lodge located within Perth CBD area. I'll will be staying there this week
happy.gif
I am staying at the 1 bedroom studio for AUD$101 per night. Comes equipped with full kitchen and microwave also.

They have a 2 bedroom studio suitable for 6 people comes with 4 single bed and 1 double bed.

Very popular. Might need to book earlier.
happy.gif

Hi Constance
They din mention is max 6 people. Just the beds are 4 single 1 double. If you can arrange the allocation among yourself shld be no problem i guess. Also because you have 3 that is kids.
happy.gif

Good to check also.

mngo,
Thanks for the analysis on Cuddly vis-a-vis Caversham. From what I hear, Cuddly seems to be smaller. Caversham has a few animal shows while Cuddly does not have. I have allocated 3/4 day to Caversham and another 3/4 day to The Maze. So probably Caversham will be worth it if I am staying there for almost the whole day. hee hee...

re Shopping:
I heard people say don't bother with Harbourtown cos it's not cheap. Will head to one of the shopping centres on Thurs late night shopping. Intend to also stock up on Manuka Honey and Chocolates when I'm at Margaret river.

Hi Jun (lwg26)
For Caversham Wildlife Park,
1) The Farm Show = 10am, 1pm and 3pm
2) Wombat and Friends show = 11am, 2pm and 3.45pm
For your info and planning
happy.gif

But Jun,
Late night shopping ah... Mngo, correct me if I am wrong. Most of the shop close at 6pm right... Except for Perth City which is until quite late.

Kiasu mom
Perth city shopping on normal days closes at 5pm.
On Fridays, they are open till 9pm.
But if you are looking for cafes and restaurants, be it in suburb or the city, they open till late too.

Westfields in the suburb has latenight on Thu until 9pm

Mngo,
I thought late night is on friday? Karrinyup shopping centre late night shopping is on Thurs too. Are you referring to this Karringyup shopping centre or is there another one? http://www.karrinyupcentre.com.au/ It does not have Target as a tenant.

kiasumum,
Thanks for info. I intend to "camp" at Caversham from morning till afternoon. To make my $$ worth. Lol.

Caversham park is located within the Whiteman Park. have a lot of places that can go for kids also. The playground there also very big. Was there yesterday to reckee and check out the Thomas Engine event.

For kids ah... the train ride shld be fun for them. Adult $8, children 6-16: $4, toddlers $2

Also have electronic BBQ bit operate by coin $1. Can pinic

Children amusement park from $4. Have the information sheet for May event. if you like I can email to you
happy.gif

Hi kiasu mum,
You are there now? Cool... please can send to me the info sheet? But I'm going mid June, not sure whether still valid or not.

btw, how is the weather in perth like now?
Thinking of how to pack for my 3 kids' clothings.
gd thing my no 4 not going with us, else dunno how to cope.

budgetmum
you are based in perth alone? what abt ur 2 kids?

Jun
Yea - late night for PERTH CITY is on Friday.
ALL Suburbs late nights are on Thursday
Or, which late night are you referring that is on Fridays?

Oh, i realised there's no target there now.
Not sure what happened, but my friend used to frequent target there. Unless- she gave me wrong suburb name.

Jun,

Vic Park Woolworths side has late night shopping from Mon to Friday, and same goes for the restaurants on the street.

Major shopping centre except for Perth City opens until 9pm on THURS. Perth City opens until 9pm on FRIDAY.

Hi all

I hv booked a night stay at a farm at meerup. And it does not hv reverse aircon but has a fire log place instead.
Worry that the fire log may not be able to keep the room warm, and understand that at night is below 10 deg now.
Any advice for me cos worry that my 3yo cannot take the cold.

Hi mummies,

We'll be going over to Perth in late Oct/ early Nov with my 2.5 yrs old toddler.

We'll be there for 6 nights.
We are thinking of only visiting Perth city (2 nights) & Swan Valley (4 nights); as a squeezed itinerary would be tedious with my son.

What is your opinions for staying 4 nights at Swan Valley?
Will it be too long a stay?
Any recommended place to stay at SW?
I read that the Cuddly Animal farm has B&B. Anyone stayed there before?

Thanks!

hi pookey,
Why do you want to stay 4 days in swan valley? There are nothing much to see there. The wine circuit can be done in half a day. It is not that bad. We did perth when my daughter was 1+ and 2+. We were able to cover swan valley in one day, and another day for cavershem.

Hi Jun
Yup... in Perth since February. Drop me a PM so that I can email to you. Shld be valid in June. Just some of the special event like tractor parade, Thomas Engine day may not be running. Good for guide
happy.gif

Hi Constance (constancet)
Come here for 1 semester (3 months) to do an honours degree at UWA. Coz they dun offer it in Singapore. I did my part-time undergrad with PSB and heng heng can get in to the honours program so here I am lor... Miss the 2 tots a lot. Now my mum taking care of them. So happy going back this Sunday can see them le hee
happy.gif
Hubby coming tomorrow to meet me b4 we head back to make up for the honeymoon that we din get to go. So went round to reckee a bit. Din have chance earlier coz super BZ with assignments.

hi pookey,
Agree with the mummies
happy.gif

1 day shld be sufficient to cover most of it

Hi Constance
The next Thomas the Train day is on Sunday 19 September, 2010.
For more information: http://www.whitemanpark.com.au/events/eventListing.aspx

Was there lah, but no fun one... probably bcoz I was alone. The kids there do enjoy I guess. But actually the train is just a normal steam train which also run most of the days just not sure if have thomas face or not. But the artwork can't really make it haha... Also maybe becoz I am an outgrown kid with overexpectation. Does have thomas engine merchandise on sale but Not CHEAP. Have a carnival also... I think the playground more fun lor haha... PM me, I send you the photos I took
happy.gif

Budgetmum
You mean even on normal days, there is a steam train at whitemanpark?
Good, cos thinking of going there too.
Just PM you. thanks!

Hi Constance
Yup... Steam engine at whitemanpark. The kids will love it.
http://www.whitemanpark.com.au/attractions/train-rides.aspx

Opening Hours: Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun
+ School & Public Holidays**
11am to 1pm (minimum times)
Closed Christmas Day
Entrance Fees: Adults $8.00; Seniors $7.00;
Children (6-16yrs) $4.00; Toddlers $2.00
Phone: Bookings & Enquiries - (08) 9534 3215

The Bennett Brook Railway operates steam and diesel trains over 6 kilometres of 610mm gauge track through Whiteman Park’s Banksia woodlands.

On weekends and public holidays, running times are 11am to 4pm, with services half hourly from the Village Junction Station and hourly from Mussel Pool.

During the week, you can enjoy a scenic trip around the bushland loop, departing from the Village Junction Station on the hour from 11am to 1pm on their operating days.

On weekdays during School Holidays, trains have an extended operating time of 11am to 3pm.

Services do not normally operate from Mussel Pool on school holidays or on weekdays.

For more information, visit their website at www.bennettbrookrailway.org

kiasumum,
Thanks for the info. Hope they extend the caversham promotion because I'll only be there in June.

hidora,
Thanks for the shopping lobang. I should hang around Vic Park Woolworth on the last day cos my flight is mid-night. Besides Target, Coles, which are the large chains that I should look out for my shopping spree?

Hi Constance,
I'll be there 1 week before you. Leaving Perth on 16th. Have you finish planning your itinery?

Can anyone give comments on my itinery? First 7 days are very relax and F&E. Last 3 days more pack as we only have 3 days in MR.

Day 1: Singapore – King’s Park / Hillary’s Boat Harbour / Shopping
Day 2: Caversham Wildlife Park / Whiteman Park
Day 3: The Maze
Day 4: Yanchep National Park
Day 5: Freemantle
Day 6: Pinjarra / Dwellingup
Day 7: Gin Gin / Chittering Valley
Day 8: Perth – Harvey – Busselton - Margaret River
Day 9: Yallingup / Dunsborough / Augusta / Jewel Cave
Day 10: Yallingup Shearing Shed / Harvey / Perth

Jun
yeah, mine as follow.
More packed than yours and i am only spending 1.5 days to explore perthcity itself.

Day 1: Singapore-Perth (reach perth almost midnite)
Day 2: Perth-Busselton, stopover at Freemantle and Mandurah
Day 3: Yallingup, MR, Augusta, back to Busselton for the nite
Day 4: Busselton-Pemberton
Day 5: Pemberton-Albany, stopover at Valley of the Giant Treetop walk
Day 6: Albany
Day 7: Albany-Perthcity
Day 8: Perthcity

Constance,
Your itinery looks tight. I wanted to go Pemberton but has changed my plan. My sis prefer rest n relax. Especially in Perth, we super laid back. 2 days allocated to swan valley.
We can share our experience after the trip.

Kiasumum,
Your pickyourown website is useful. But too bad, apple harvest is over. The owner of the orchard reply that they just harvested. Guess I can only check out the citrus at chittering valley.

Jun,

Woolworths/ Coles - supermarket
Big W, Coles, Target - departmental store

You see one, you seen all kind.

It's better to just walk out on Vic park street. It's quite lively at night. Or have a meal at any of the restaurants there, or take some photos.

Catalanos at Vic Park serve good Italian food.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=catalanos&fb=1&gl=au&hq=catalanos&cid=4103677909106970153

Constance
I agree with Jun.

In Day 2, you are stopping over at Fremantle and Mandurah. How much time would you be at Freo?
It seems it's just touch and go type of itinerary

Hi Jun (lwg26)
The Maze i think nothing much one wor... By the way, pick up a copy of the information booklet while you are at the airport. You shld be able to see it once it get off the plane b4 u clear custom. Inside have some discount. E.g The Maze is 1 kid free with 1 adult. Sorry my coupon valid till May so cant pass to you. But this is one example that is inside. Got to read thru.

For freemantle, you might want to try rottnest island. Heard from my homestay that that is the only place can find that special look like squirrel but like kanageroo animal.

Supermarket, I think I prefer IGA its WA local so the price much much cheaper than Woolworths and Coles I find.

Pickyourown website is not comprehensive, the locals were sharing with me some of the orchards that is not listed. But my homestay say now not the season, guess I got to skip as well
happy.gif

Those are quite far off my itnery also

Kiasu Mum,
Fremantle and Rottnest island are 2 different places. It's not cheap to get to Rottnest island because ferry tickets cost abt 50++ dollars return per pax.

In fact every week , the supermarket chains takes turn to have discounts on different product.
Some IGA prices are expensive. And IGA is not owned solely by WA. Africa has shares in them.

Hi mngo
Opps.. I just checked. Wow going to Rottnest very expensive wor...Ferry with entrance is AUD$59.50...**FAINT~ bike hire is A$28 erm... I think i will stick with Fremantle tour
happy.gif

OIC, hee thought IGA is own by WA coz they advertise support local WA product. Thaks for clarifying

budgetmum, Jun, mngo
Actually we are not really interested to go freemantle, just drop by for lunch. More interested in albany and pemberton area. Dats Y.

actually we only booked accom for up to Pemberton. thinking of whether to travel up back to perthcity or albany if time permits....
goodthing it is non peak season in au., so shld be ok to find accom

Constance
Oh - if you are just dropping by for lunch, i guess it's ok to drive down south after that . There's nothing much to do in Mandurah actually. Unless you wanna see the waterfront.
Bunbury is another nice place as well.

constance
i have not seen any dolphins before. lol. also, i dont know how the beaches look like during winter....

How's the rain and shower in Perth / MR like? As in will it rain very long or is short showers. If my thick windbreaker is waterproof, is it advisable to bring additional raincoat? Pray hard that during my stay there, there won't be much heavy rains.

Back