Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

mngo, hhee..no i boil them myself, like what you do usually. It's pretty fast. If moms who are travelling, you can boil the night before then store in the fridge. Somehow the ingredients are v fresh yah?

Well, you know those Indons lah.

missk
haha i think it's probably the chicken. chicken here is prob fresher? i normally buy free range chicken / bones / meat.
i boiled them a whole pot, then split them out and freeze them.

Jun
3 days 2 ngts is very short. Unless you reach there before 12pm, and then cant check in yet.
So you could use that time to go and check it out.

You have to go to Prevelly bay. it's really very very nice! And got a lot of big stingrays.

This photo is taken at the scenic look out at Dunsborough before MR.
It's along caves road where you turn from Sugar loaf.

http://www.drivewa.com/poi/1133/sugar-loaf-rock.html

3798398.jpg

mngo: At home, I also do that. It's a lot more efficient that way. Anytime, just thaw and use. I could smell the soup from the lift (the room is located at the end). Drama yah?

Btw, I have an 18-mth-old toddler. If we wanna drive to Margaret River, issit advisable?

Mngo,
Haha.. you tempt me lah. Aiyo, I already feel that too little time and many place to go. Sigh... My hubby warn me to be less ambitious. Planning an itinery with 4 kids + 1 baby is no joke.

Which place are you recommending? Prevelly bay or Dunsborough at Sugar Loaf rock? I google and stingrays are found in Hamelin Bay. Prevelly bay is for surfing. If I need to choose between Dunsborough and Augusta (Cape Leeuwin lighthouse), which one is nicer? I think I can only go one. Cos I intend to spend half a day in Jewel Cave + Pemberton for the tram ride through the forest, half day for farm activities and another half day to visit various wineries, candycow, MR chocolate factory etc. Then on last day must rush back to Perth.

My flight is 1am. When does the sunset in Australia? Is it safe to drive after 7pm? If I need to be back in Perth before sunset, may have to leave MR by 3pm.

missk,
6 years ago, when my #1 was 18 mth (and I preggy with #2), we drove to MR too. Just prepare some snacks in the car for her to eat if she's cranky. My gal enjoys the farm very much. I took pic of her feeding milk to the sheep.

Jun
with so many kids, u really wanna go jewel cave?
hamelin bay is good for kids - picnic and have a swim
happy.gif

Sunset now is 7. but in winter it maybe 6. Pitch dark by then. It's safe to drive after 7 - in PERTH . But it may be dark. Lock yr cars too. lol.

Mngo,
Kids not advisable to go cave? I thought just go in walk walk let them experience what is cave. My gal and boy (8, 6) should be ok. My nieces 3, 5 yo not sure will appreciate or not. As long as don't need to climb dangerous stairs should be ok?

It's long weekend. Happy Easter to all!

Jun
the 2 elder ones should be ok . the young ones may / may not appreciate it. entrance fee also not very cheap.

But good experience. it's a huge cave!

yes, my air tickets for family of 5 alone is 2.6k. Sim tia... My hubby say the baby could be scared of the cave. Maybe take your suggestion go to Hamelin bay. It's free!! Haha

By the way, I just watched "How to Teach a Dragon". Very good. My boy said it's better than Avatar. Avatar is too violent for children.

Hi Mummies

Need some advice on Holiday in Perth. Am thinking of planning a 6/7 self-drive trip in either late may or early June (haven book anything yet). Is the weather too cold during that period? Am bringing my 3YO there, so any good places that we must visit?

From what I gathered from the archives:
- Caversham park
- swan valley
- busselton
- MR
- Fremantle

As for car rental and accomodations, any recomm?

Thanks.

Hi Xuan
I am also going Perth in early June. It's the start of winter. Cold but should be ok if you bring enough warm clothings. Can go sheep shearing at Yallingup, The Maze playground and King's Park in Perth. For car rental and accomodations, you can look through archive. Lotsa info.

xuan
i'll be going to perth this jul or aug. usually i go during winter & last year it wasnt that cold in june so now decided to go later to enjoy the cool weather
biggrin.gif
i hv yet to book anything as i hv not firmed up my itineary.

Swan is a smaller version of MR so u can give it a miss if u going to MR. but caversham park & the maze is in Swan though. for car rental, i would say bayswater is the cheapest but they dont hv car seat for rental so hv to book separately which i find abit troublesome. u can try M2000 which i find their rates are quite good too but i used avis during my last trip coz M2000 dont hv many cars left that suits my family. for accommodation, if u looking to stay near the city, alot of mummies here recommend mont clare, which is clean & value for money.

Hi Jun

Ya, I read that King's Park is a popular site. So will plan for a day trip there, together to see other tourist attractions in Perth CBD such as london court, swan bell tower, harbour town.

Btw, if I plan my 1st 2 days in Perth city, can I dun rent a car but use the CAT to get around? Can I just rent car on day 3 when we plan to go to the suburb- ie swan valley, MR?

Sheep shearing sounds interesting, but i dun know where is Yaallingup, but nvm will google for it. Thanks.

Hi Chloe
U seems to like Perth's Winter. My DH is worried about driving in Winter though. Is it safe? Cos the road may be wet and slippery.

I was checking for the airfares to perth and it seems that Qantas is cheaper than Jetstar. Qantas is around $1.8K for 2A+1C but JS is nearly $2K if I opt for the check-in luggage. Furthermore, the timing for QT is morning departure while JS is evening.

Mummies, which airlines did u book ur tickets and care to share the amt u paid?

xuan
both DH & myself loves winter, as we have enough of the humidity & heat here liao. so we usually travel to winter countries for holidays. its not always rainy during winter & its actually very easy to drive in perth.
u can go around the city by CAT & also can take a train to fremantle from the city if u dont want to drive.

i usually will go for SQ as its our preferred airline & its only abit more than Qantas. hv not tried JS yet though. but i agree, budget airlines not necessary is cheaper than commercial ones. i dont remember how much i paid for SQ but its abit more than Qantas & i like their flight departure which is in the morning.

Hi xuan

u can c this website for CAt route http://www.lookatwa.com.au/Transport/cats.html

renting the car on the 3rd day will be better save money....hehheheh i found this website give quite a reasonable quote, may be u want to try http://www.airportrentacar.com.au/perth/

Dun worry abt driving during winter in perth cos no snow unless it's rainin as the same like sg n the speed drive there is slower n try to follow their speed limits....its a must

i book thru jetstar but made the reservvation 6mths in advance ..as wat i'd checked qantas now is much cheaper though...sq is comparable....n the timing is better too...$1.8k pretty cheap with taxes? mine was abt 1.2k with taxes(2A 2C 1 infant(jetstar)

Chloe,
Agree with you. As I'm going with 2 kids 1 baby, I don't mind to pay a bit more for SQ. I heard Qantas service is not as good. It's 1am flight so I reach there at 6.30pm. Intend to go King's Park in the morning to enjoy the fresh air and take it easy for the rest of the afternoon. Coming back also at 1am, reach Singapore morning 6.30am. Hopefully it's night time, the kids will gradually fall asleep in the plane then I can have a peaceful flight.

Xuan,
Yallingup is ~1 hour north of Margaret River. If you are going MR, can break your journey at Brusselton. It's great scenery. I was there 7 years ago. Now my 2nd trip there. Coming back Perth, maybe you can drop by Yallingup for the sheep sheering. But the show is at 11am so you need to be there on time.

jun
same sentiments, i'm with 2 young kiddos so would rather pay more for SQ. but i'm going for their morning flight which is ard 9.30am, reached perth in the afternoon. Coming back will be the 4pm flight. usually my kids will nap onboard coz already tired after waking up early for the flight.
sinced yours is 1am flight, i'm sure your kids will KO by then coz its bed time liao
biggrin.gif

can plan for a breakfast picnic at kings park since u arrive so early.

Chloe,
Somehow, my returning trip have no afternoon flight leh. I only have a choice of early morning 7.30am or midnight 1am. I figure out it's better I make them sleep in the plane than to wake them up at 4am and pack them to airport. They will be super grumpy in the airport.

Mngo,
Ask you hor. Do you know if there is any orchard that allows tourists to pick fruits in June? I understand that only citrus fruits are in season.

jun
probably the afternoon flight on your return date is full so it leaves u with only 2 choices.
i would also rather choose the 1am flight over the 7.30am
happy.gif

Hi mummies

Is it a good time to visit Perth in Nov? Is the weather still cooling? Can I also ask mummies who have been there. What are your night activities with the children since the shops closed so early?

Hi!

Does anyone know of any photographer in Perth who can do a mini photoshoot for my gal, maybe abt 1.5 hrs? Will probably be going to Perth in end May. Thanks!

Jun
Errr i am not sure. i think the 'construction' company where they have apple picking do have it.

kwong
Nov yes. cooling. Night activties after dark?
Sleep. Kids sleep early here. 8pm. Some 730pm.
Else if still not dark, then it's at park.

Hi Mngo and Chloe

Thanks for your reply.

Still at planning stage. Very exciting to see all the mummies comments here.

Is there any factory outlets at Perth?

mngo,
Harbourtown - nothing? oh... so can skip harbourtown liao. Probably just go Lakeside shopping centre and Westfield. Winter also probably nothing much to buy.

In case anyone is interested, there is a farmers market held on Sunday. But unfortunately only on 3rd Sunday. So I will miss this. http://www.armadaleproducersmarket.org.au/

Jun
These are the large malls. Most shops are the same.

Midland - if u are at swan valley

Westfield Carousel - if you are near airport

Westfield Karrinyup - if you are in the north

Lakeside Joondalup - if you are at hillarys.

Centro Galleria - if you are at Morley / anywhere near city.

It seems like The armadale farmers market is a small scale one.
It's nothing like victoria market in melbourne.

Hi,

Has anyone taken Tiger Airways to Perth before? Care to share the experience? Also, for those who rent car from those companies who don't have a booth at the airport but is arranging for pickup at airport, what happens if the flight is delayed? Cos i thik budget airlines high chance of delay. Thanks!

If you are really keen on buying fruits, vege by the cartons. Then you can consider canningvale market on saturdays. Go before 7:30 am.

Mngo,
Victoria market is not farmers market.. 8P. But there are alot of farmers market in victoria.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay, you can consider this http://www.stayz.com.au/14121. If you have 2 kids and 2 adults. This place is quite good. We stayed here at one of the trips to perth. It had washing and cooking facilities. Subiacco market is quite near. And it is quite ideal if you drive, it comes with parking. The person was quite nice, she saw my 18 months daughter. She made a special trip to bring the high chair for my daughter.

hopeac
the apartment looks nice & clean. rates also reasonable & the location is good, near subiacco but unfortunately only cater for small family.

hopeac, canning vale market items r not tat good. good ones r and have been taken up by the retail outlets. not worth to go there.
plus gotta pay 2 dollars entry.

Spunik
i've taken tiger airways before.
As usual, late.
Plus, my luggage was left in singapore!

To be on safe side, dont take that airline. can you imagine if your baggages are all left in singapore and you arrive late at night, with no clothings to change?

Mngo,
Thanks. My main objective is to go to the orchard and let the kids see and pluck fruits from the tree. As now the only fruit trees they see are mango, jackfruit, papaya and durian in Spore and Msia. And usually not allowed to pluck. There is a Raeban Orchard south of Perth. I tried to email the owner but no reply.

Can ask you, if I bring cereal made not in Aus/NZ (Nestle made in Msia and Happy bellies in USA, ready food from Pigeon), is it allowed? Or it must be made in Aus and NZ? Is it same for formulae milk?
I will land in perth at 6.30am. Does anyone know if I can request for extra infant jar food from SQ? In case cannot get any soft food for the baby as supermarket is not opened so early.

Jun
Raeburn orchard is also not mean for plucking.
They have really nice pessimon tree during autumn/winter! the leaves turn orange/red in color.

Cereal if has milk content is not allowed. I remembered i brought heinz cereal / rice cereal.
But for baby products, they normally let you in.
Formulae milk - better NOT to be made in malaysia. My son was on Friso and it was from Holland, imported into Singapore. And that's ok.

I ever asked them what they are checking , they say they are looking and making sure these comes from singapore.

Ryatie
Yes i got it back the day after. But i had to wait in the airport for 1.5 hours! I was asked to go to the airport at 11pm. But my luggage came at 12 plus am.

I could not claim any money from tigerair cos i am residing in Perth. People on holiday can claim but only 80dollars a luggage lost.
What can 80 dollars buy?! Clothes here are so expensive.

Back