Mummies in Australia?

Andrea
I guess i'll be like u..i had my driving license for 10 yrs in sg but hardly drive in sg..if i'm there, i'll be chaffeuring around my kids 2 school...but of course hope to get sch that i walking distance...so i hope to enjoy driving there 2 :)

tattybear,

I think it's abit hard for us to help you out.. Most of us are renting atm.. So for renting, normally we find areas that's near to our working location, nearby to public transport and still of reasonable rental.

Perth housing is too exp for us to buy. We can only sit and see. Not to mention interest rate is increasinv like crazy.. I think the only time we can buy a house is when we strike lotto...

hi hidora,
tks glad the people u have met are all nice! hopefully brisbane or mel will be like these!

hi mngo
i c..so u moving there soon? i was hoping to go mel but hubby prefer bris cos more job opp ar. but our friends r in melb...

hi hopeac,
tks..will check it out w her!!

Hi ryatie!!
so hows ur application? u mentioned last round u have been informed to go for the ck up..so any updates on the app fm ur end? u going perth too?! so exciting... ;)

My hb wldn't let me drive in SG cos he said the drivers here terrible. So funny lor, I got my driving lic longer than him, when I first know him, I already been driving in SG & AU n wld say am a daring driver more than him. But since we got married, he's the one driving n now he said too dangerous for me to drive here. We love to drive in AU.

We still can't decide betw Per & Mel. Last weekend, met a uni friend. He's moving to Mel (already bought a hse there, buying another one). He asked me when am I migrating since many of uni friends already migrated. (most of my friends still dunno that I'm migrating) I told him soon n likely go Per. He then commented why Per, so boring. Since most of them in Mel, why not I go there too. Really Mel got more opportunities than Per meh?

One consideration is sch. Anyone can recommend good schs in Per or Mel? Need to register my girl for next year.

Hi Hen,
A lot of the schools here enrol students based on local intake ... which means that you go to the school in the suburb where you live.

Otherwise the other option is private schools. I have also heard of schools that are cheaper than private schools but don't necessarily enrol students from the locality, but sorry, I haven't really done my research in that area.

Generally, there are some popular schools and people tend to try to live in those suburbs so they get a place in the school.

Perhaps some mommies might know schools selection and processes better. Would appreciate the information myself
happy.gif

Cheers!

hi,
We just confirmed that we got the PR. It seems that we had the PR since last Dec 18, but somehow my agent did not get the email, and we did not get the physical letter. Anyhow, my agent did a check with them, then realise this. The processing seem quite fast, got it within 6+ months of lodging. So the moral of the story is, check with DIMA if the response seem too long.

One question, the 5 years starts from the date of grant or the date of first entry?

hi Hen,
Most public schools(high schools and primary schools) take in students base on where you stay. However in high schools, certain public schools like the govt selected (the equiv of our RGS and RI) or schools with programs for gifted students take in students not within the locality. Therefore, it is important to stay near good public schools. Besides public schools, there are the catholic and private schools. Catholic schools are usually less than 10 Au K, but the good private schools averages around 16 to 20 K per year. And these schools you have to contribute to their school redevelopment fund etc.

According to my friend who is staying in mel, different schools have different kind of programs or 2nd language. So I guess it really depends on what you want.

I will be going Mel in June for my intial entry, I will be checking out some of the primary schools, as my son is suppose to go to grade 1 next year. I can let you know some of my findings then.

san,
I am not sure what you mean by start to apply? Lodging or preparation? We lodge end of May. 20 something of May. Mine was under MODL. But there are quite alot of preparations like getting certifications from the various organisations, sitting IELTs, getting your bosses to write letters, certify true copies of documents, etc. Those we started in Jan 2007.

hopeac,

My friend in MEL sent their son to Camberwell while another friend sent their son to Doncaster Primary. Maybe you can check these schs out while you are there.

I'll be looking out for girls' schs since both my kids are girls
happy.gif

hi hidora,
yes, with the rising property prices, its best to wait and find an opportunity to purchase one later
happy.gif
I was looking ard for suburbs, the rental rate is avg like $300pw ... is this considered ex now?

mngo,

Sunny, ozziemummie and me just have a meet up on Monday at Carousel! :D She is going back to Sg in a few days time.
happy.gif

tattybear,

That's pretty cheap for rental. If you are getting a one room apartment near the city, it's already at least $250/wk. Our rental currently is $350/wk for 4 bedrooms and it's about 20mins train ride from the city. We are pretty sure that rental will increase when the lease end as rental is on the rise now.

hidora

wowwwwwwwwwwwww

it's good to meet up!!!!

i tot she's permanently in au wor. too bad... my decision is made to go melbourne
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

i miss u guys!!!!

mngo,
u got a job liao? Discussed wz hubby, we gonna check out the opportunities in MEL first. I'm going start looking for job n hope to schedule a trip there to go for int. If u got any lobang (jobs, rental, properties, etc), dun forget to inform me.

sarahbb
NOT YET
sad.gif

Will move in june. R u moving there soon?
Er..... i dunno of any pre school. cos i also will be looking for one. My boy is 3 years 3 months.
happy.gif

Will stay in the east. Eg : Doncaster, Black burn, BoxHill, Waverley area.

What about u ?

Hen
NO JOB. haaa... apparently i contacted the head hunters and they told me it will be easier for them to meet them up in melbourne.
so it simply means... GO THERE FIND JOB.
lol.

Most of the Asians staying in the east. Most of my friends stay in the east, got one recently just bought a land/house in the north. He said its more affordable.

mngo, u gonna rent a place when u go there in jun? U got your air tickets yet? Thot maybe we can go there tog...

mngo,
i used to stay there for about 5 years b4 moving back in sg in early 06 until now..
so the tots of going back there still lingers.. and i miss melbourne plenty plenty..
so far from my knowlegde, presch start at 4 year there and b4 that, its all home arranged play group... but i arent sure... not 100% confirm..
this i tink (plus a helper) is the only thing that is keeping me in singapore.. haaa... =)

doncaster is a chinese community area (classified under higher class)

i like glen waverley.. - also another chinese community area..

boxhill - also chinese community area but more vietnamese....

springvale - a lot of vietnamese...

if can afford, a good area would be williamtown.. just outside city... near e sea.. and a good mixture of community...

but i used to stay in the city & clayton.. heez =)

Hen
I have not got a place to rent. i will first stay in service apt/motel/hotel for 2 weeks while sourcing for a 1 year lease. I have not got air tix. Will you be going with yr hubby only or whole family?

If you dont mind, we can go together! and we can share shipment. At least got fren fren .. can take care of each other.

hi mngo,
When are you going to be there? I will be there for around 2 weeks. How much is your budget? I have been looking at svc apartments.

hopeac
i am going in june. but date not firm up yet. waiting for my hb to give me a date.
my budget for svc apt is as low as possible lor.
abt 120-130. my cousin, going in may got a svc apt for 115 at collins street. i tot is a good deal.

i also contacted a motel at bell street. but seems is not that cheap either. more costly than svc apt.

which area r u looking at?
when r u leaving?

by the way i will be taking quantas flight, cos i wanna use their migration scheme

The amount is aus dollars or sg dollars? Do you have a car? Becos collin street those areas don't come with car park. I was looking for 4 of us, but my locations need not in CBD area. Looking at williamtown, north mel, south yarra. Actually got acess to trams or trains can already.

I will be there from 7 June to 17 June, leaving 18 midnight. If it is 120 - 130 dollars aus, you have some choice. Let me see if i can tabulate some places for u.

Which apartment did she get? 115 AU for 2 or 3?

mngo, hopeac,

We'll be going there as a whole family lah. We r submitting my bb's PR application soon, once we get it, we'll go over. We also hvn't fix the date of travelling yet. Got to see when hb can get long leave cos we most prob be there for a mth or so. Since u all going in Jun, will see if can go during the same time.

mngo, definitely keen to join shipment. But hor, not going to ship things over there yet. So will go there, find a job, then a place to stay, settle kid's school, then come back n ship things over. What abt you?

hen
i will also ship my items later. as i will be back in sep, i will pack and ship by then.

but u mention u will be there for only 1 month right? as such, you will only be there to get things settled only is it?

hopeac, it is aussie dollars.
i found another apt at st kilda. less than 100 aud. 1 bedroom. good enough for us.

hopeac, it is aussie dollars.
i found another apt at st kilda. less than 100 aud. 1 bedroom. good enough for us.

mngo,
Am going there to find job n accomodation n sch lor. If all works out well, will come back to pack up the stuff n ship over, hb will tender resignation, settle my elder daughter's sch stuff here, settle banking stuff, etc etc etc

hen
then u going alone during 1st month?
also 1 month is enough to find job hor. right?

between your 1 month in mel , and going over for good, how long will the "break " be?

hopeac
last question. u know melbourne at yr finger tips.
how many times have u been to melbourne or number of years stayed there?

hi mngo,
ehhehehe. I don't know melbourne at my finger tips. I only know the places becos I was researching for accomodation. I only been to melb once a few years back. Actually, I know perth better. hehehe

I was tempted to book St kilda also. But till recent times, it was the mel red light district. Maybe, I go ask my friend about st kilda if it is a ok place now.

heya!..

chinese community meaning chinese asian lar... msian,hk,sg lor..

St Kilda tink not red light district lehz.. hmm.. maybe depending on e area bah.. got quite a number of friends staying in st kilda.. but to me, not red light district lehz.. just nearer e beach part is very "pub" area.. hehehe..

gald to know many is going melbourne.. heheh..I might be going over too!! this June/July if all works out fine.. so far its mngo, hopeac & hen right??

are u all with baby??? how old are ur kiddo????

mngo,
If I go in Jun, its the whole family. My hb won't let me bring the kids without him. I won't be able to leave the kids wz him alone here either. So, hb need to be there to babysit. We gonna go as a family to find a place where all r comfortable/happy with lah. If things don't work out, then we'll be back in Perth.

Guess if I get a job, most likely they wld want to start as soon as possible. I'll try to bargain to start sometime in Nov/Dec if possible, else we have to come back n settle everything here within a mth n then go back again.

Sarahbb,
I got 2 kids, older one is 6yrs old, the latest addition is 3mths going 4mths old. Both girls
happy.gif

Hi mummies

just got back frm Perth. Met up with Hidora and Ozzie..had a nice time chatting and shopping with them.

Settled lots of stuff during my trip...esp about house and car. Will be going back again in May..this time more permanatly i hope.

wow, we have 2 grps of mummies..the Melbourne mummies and Perth Mummies...we shld have a combined Aussie mummies meeting one day..heehee

hen
u mean things don work out? meaning???

actually if u decide is melbourne, then will be it. if u decide it is perth, then just settle there. else will end up like me.. confused and dunno where to go

hen,

than who is going to care for your kids when they are there??

mngo, ur kids how old??

i really wanna go back melb.. but my kid is my main concern now. so headache //

hi Sarah,
My kids are 5 years and 2.5 years. My son will go grade 1 next year ( if your kid is born before 30 Apr, you can start school 1 year earlier)

For my kids, if my MIL can get TR, then she will go over to look after the kids. Both will work. If not, I will be the one working, as my industry pays much better. My hub will most likely work part time, give tutition (he has vic teaching license) until my daughter goes to grade 1. Of course, unless my hub gets a fantastic offfer, then my daughter will go to CC.

From one of my friend in Mel, who came back for hols this week. Among the singaporeans settled there, it seem that it is easier for the females to get a job. And it is sufficient for 1 parent to work fulltime. In order for a whole family to survive in mel,you need around 2K Aus a month (Rental+food+school fees+misc), and the govt does give subsidy for rental and kids if your salary falls below certain amount.

You have to be prepared to take Contract job first. Very unlikely, the companies will offer perm.

For me, I am quite fix with mel, as my cousin will be relocating there, I have some friends there. So in a way, have a support group there.

hopeac,

for me. jobwise is no problem. cos until today, husb & me still got our business ongoing there..

i am aiming to stay near city (apartment) or near city (oakleigh area)..

so conincidence.. my son is 27mths (2yr 3 mth)..

so far travelled around aust, still loving melbourne.. hehe... although the biz is both in melb & brisbane (more of brisbane)... haha...

when will yea be going over???

do u know of any Julia Grabriel Prog alike in melbourne?

another concern of mine is support group & friends for my son to mix too... (scare he become too lonely)... coz my friends there have either all came back or have yet to relocate there... in sg, at least he is attending pre-nursery already.. & have his little friends group...

got msn?

Hi Sarahbb,
Like what hopeac mentioned, one person work is good enough. For my case, most likely I'm going to work, while my hb takes care of the kids.

Can add me in to your msn. Mine is [email protected]

Interested to know abt setting up business there leh. Hope you can share wz us.

hi all,

i would say any business is easier there than in sg, coz they got a bigger community there (bigger customer base) even though the competition is very high....

but maintaining the biz and all include all sort of stress (more stress than being employed) and if fail in the biz, muz have the courage to do up agian..

not to mention, husb and me fail in our biz twice before this ongoing one is much rather a success... (have been doing this for about 2.5 years and only during the last year that we see the profits and all our hardwork paid off)..

hardwork is really hardwork where no sleep / little sleep & lotsa effort gotta be put in.. budgetting and all too..coz own biz = if u dun it, u got no money... our hard-est period was during the birth of my son...need to care for son..

ours is a rather small biz.. not those huge huge COMPANY...

as for what industry to go into.. i would say, it depends on what is your interest & strong pt.. & lotsa "homework" u gotta do...

and other pts that i would prefer mentioning over msn.. (coz very sensitive issues) if i get to know u better.. heez =)

Back