Mount Alvernia Hospital

hotpot

Hi There

Have anyone delivered your bb at MAH? How is the charges like? Any breakdown for viewing? Heard from friends tat d Medisave claim at MAH is nearly 1/2 of the total bill, how true is this?

Landie,

U can check out their charges at http://www.mtalvernia-hospital.org/serv_inpatient/packages.htm#maternity

if u would like to compare charges wif other hospitals, u may want to check out the following:-
http://www.motherhood.com.sg/dirlistings/hospital.asp

if i'm not wrong.. medisave deducted is the same for all hospital rite? unless u r under Govt sector, u will enjoy higher subsidies at KKH...

mayb u may like to request for yr friend's breakdown.. bcause it depends on how u give birth.. normal delivery is cheaper than caesarean section.. and if the caesarean is an emergency case it will cost even more.. and also yr bed type and the no. of days u stay .. not forgetting possible extra care and hospital equipments r also chargeable..

In other words.. no ones bill comes up to the same amt.. avg csh aft medisave for pte hospital may range fm 2k - 4k.. on the safe side..

And also diff hospital provides diff level of service and perks.. check it out to see whh one u feel most comfortable

Cubbie

Appreciate your reply. My girlfriend had delivered quite sometime thus she is unable to retrieve the billing but she recalled that the medisave claim was half of his bill.

Medisave claim differs at various hospitals. Like one of my girlfriend delivered hers at TMC, the bill came out to over $6k as she had induced birth. She took a 1 bedded ward and stayed for 5 days but her medisave claim was only $1.6K! As per TMC, their medisave claim is only about 25%.

hi landie,

i just delivered in MAH on 12march. had normal delivery w/o epidural n staying in double-bedded for 2nights.. here is a rough guide of my bill:

for mummy:
total hospital charges with gst: 796
total doc charges: 850 (subj to individual gynae)
total charges: 1646
medisave claim: 1050
balance payment(cash): 596

for baby:
total hospital charges: 335
total dr charges: 165
total charges: 500
medisave claim: 435
balance payment(cash): 65

so in the end i paid ard $660 cash... hmm..so far i think medisave claim is the same for every hospital as it is determined by the delivery method n also the no of days stay in hospital.

mini is one of those luckiest and blessed one to incur such low cost for delivery.. I wish me too.. but I most prob will have to take epi cause I got super low pain tolerance.. haizz...

Mini

thanks for the infos. greatly appreciate that. Wow! 12 mar! tat's my birthdate too. Is this your 1st child and w/o epi, you are great! Compared to all, yours is the lowest cost incurred like what Cubbie mentioned.

Cubbie
Are u pregnant at the moment? If yes, how many months?

Landie,

u r welcome. yup, thats my 1st child. think its the mental preparation n determination of deciding not to use epidural helped me. also the antenatal class on breathing techniques is also useful. the gas mask also do some help too. also, the nurses n midwives in mt alvernia r v encouraging. there is a midwife who encouraged me by saying i m a strong girl n she believed i can go without epidural. if u r delivering in mt alvernia, dun worry as u r in safe hands. had pleasant experience with them.

mini,

so good to hear from you, i will be delivering mine at MAH in a month time... cant wait really... this little terror kicks harder and harder each day...

i also do not want to use epidural and all pain relief stuff cos there are side effects to it to what i know.. but some of my frens say the pain can be unbearable.. may i know how long is your labour pain???

hi all ladies ,
i have just discovered my pregnancy and still in a confused state now...my family doc recommended mt alvernia..so would like to seek your advice on this.
thanks

hi mini .. u r very lucky .. i delivered there too .. but my midwife was not so helpful .. she keep sayin that i'll be more destress and ask me to take the epidural
sad.gif

Landie, the claimable amt from cpf is the same for all hospital .. it really depends on how much is the package

Hi gals

When i delivered my girl last aug at MAH, i paid around $550 after medisave. I guess MAH is really a affordable place to consider n the staff there are very friendly too.

i delivered my girl there too. i find the midwives very encouraging and helpful..they taught me how to breathe during painful contractions, without any pain reliefs..

hi sansan,

i admitted to MAH at 7am but only 1cm dilated. wasn't painful at all. was 3cm dilated at 10am also not painful.only felt uncomfortable from 11am. got more painful from 1130am. at 1230pm the pain was unbearable n requested for epidural. midwife came to check n already 9cm dilated. no pt using epidural...delivered my boy at 243pm so the real painful labour pain lasted for 2+hrs. only v pain at peak of contractions.

u must be firm on decision not to use epidural. the encouragement from hubby n midwives is also v useful. but i think have to depend on how long ur labour will be.

hi Rachel,
actually the midwife who encouraged me is not the midwife assigned to me. she is an indian lady n just pop by to see if i need help.

Hi Mini,
I'll be giving birth in Mt Alvernia too. I'm not sure what I should bring to the hospital. Can you kindly share with me what items would be provided by the hospital? Do I need to bring milk bottles, diapers, etc? Thanks!
happy.gif

Hi MtA BB,

I am also giving birth at Mt Alvernia anytime soon. Here's what I have prepared to bring to the hospital. Hope it helps:

For Hospital Admission
Doc's letter
Blood results - given by your gynae
Husband & Wife's IC
Marriage Certificate (Original)
Birth Plan (if any)

For Mother:
2 boxes of maternity pads (12-15)
nipple cream (medela purelan cream)- for breastfeeding
20 breast pads
2-3 nighties with front opening
Sweater
Pyjamas (esp. long pants)
Nursing Bras
Disposable Panties
Shower cap (prevent hair from getting wet)
Slipper
Socks (for nightwear)
handphone, charger
digital camera, extra batteries
A set of loose comfortable clothing for discharge purpose
Dad's change of outfit if he is rooming in
Toiletries

For Baby:
2 pairs of scratch mitts (mittens)
1 pair of booties
1 vest (shirt)
1 home-going outfit (1 full pc set that covers all the way to the foot as baby gets cold easily)
or 1 baby blanket / shawl (to keep baby warm on discharge)

hi MtA BB,

joy_apr has listed all the items needed to bring for baby n admission. as for mother, dun have to bring so much. Mt A provides maternity pads free of charge. in total i use 3packs of maternity pads from them. din use disposable unties too as mt A provide 1 netted undies. they provide toiletries pack which include tooth brush, toothpaste, comb, soap n shampoo etc. i din bath during my stay there. as for breastpads wont really get to use since still waiting for milk flow to come in. i only started to use breastpad 1wk after delivery.

Hi,

Wonder if any of u went for the antenatal classes conducted by Mount A and if u find them to be useful. Still contemplating whether to take up or not. Thanks..

hi mini

Is the india lady short and abit on the plumb side? she is very helpful i know ..mine was chinese middle age lady quite experience n keep say it is ok to use epidural else i'll b more distress when waterbag broke .. i was diluting quite fast .. by the time epidural given to me i'm having the urge to poush and the midwife never check when i told her tat and insist that i hold still to give me th jap
sad.gif
.. waste $ and i'm to continue with the breath method that i lean in class to prevent myself from pushing andusing the laughing gas too .. the epidural take a long time to take effect .. how i wish i was more firm and tell them "no i've the urge to push liao .. dun need the epidural".. waste money and my bb's heartbeat drop twice while waiting for the head to b seen and the gynae
sad.gif

the antenatal is good..help u to be mentally prepared, if without the classes... i wounldn't know how to control the pushing urge while waiting for the epidural to take effects.

as for breastpad it really depends on individual.. my milk came on the second day .. so it is best to bring .. btw i din know u can ask for more maternity pads .. i use minde when the pack fromt ehm fisnishes

Hi Yingzi!

I joined the Antenatal Class at Mt A too. I personally find it good. Topics like the labour process, relaxation techniques, how the hubby can massage the wife, how to breastfeed and how to bathe our baby are being covered.

Thks rachel and sarador...in that case think I wld signed up for it. As a first time mother, realli a lot of things like so blur and new to me.

Hi Yingzi,
Yes, it's good to sign up for the Antenatal Class. It's beneficial and I enjoyed the classes..also helps you to be mentally more prepared.
happy.gif

Hi Mini,
My gf who delivered from Mt A told me to bring extra maternity pads, cos' if we need more, it will be charged. Btw, they provide those loops type of maternity pads..some may prefer to use the stick-on ones..which is what I am bringing for standby.

Ya, heard that the netted undies is good. But only 1, is it enough?..

Yingzi,
the antenatal class is good n beneficial esp for first time mummies.

rachel,
yup, the kind indian lady is the one u mentioned. she is very encouraging. i also have to urge to push but have to suppress the urge for 1hr coz waiting for gynae too! he is having anr delivery at east shore hospital. so terrible. want to push n yet cannot push. end up i got more distress... then my baby came out on the first contraction immediately after gynae came.

joy_apr,
so far i noe they provide 2packs of loop type maternity pads. 1pack in delivery suite n 1pack at our bed. i was given an extra pack when the nurse saw mine finishing w/o being charged. actually dun think need the stick on type since the loop type wont fall off. somemore the nurse will put 2pads at one time as the discharge is really heavy. i used the netted undies for both days since din bath at all. just make sure change my pads regularly.

i think the loop type is good .. the stick type by pureen is a bit too big .. with the net panty u dun need to stick it .. loop one is more comfy than the stick one ..

Hi Ladies

I am back! Since the topic is currently on antenatal class... does MAH charge for such classes? And how do we enrol? Any evening classes?

hi landie

MAH charge about S$120++ (can't remember the exact amount) if u r giving birth in MAH... yes, they have either weekday evening classes or saturday afternoon classes... i think they hold it once a month

hi all
those who gave birth @ mt A, anyone staying in single bed room?
juz wanna know abt the post natal exercise class..

Hi all, I am also joining the antenatal classes at MTA and most likely will be going for the delivery over there as well. Hey mini you really made me feel relax, though I want to go for natural birth w/o epidural but still sometimes feel a bit nervous on how am i going to take the labour.. can you tell me the name of that indian lady which you have mentioned, thanks.. I am first time MTB and quite far from my family (I am basically from north India and we are here in Singapore for ard last 3 yrs) so most of the things I am not quite sure about...
I wld appreciate if there is any feedback on Dr. Adrian B Woodworth from TMC (at CCK) thanks a lot to all of u atleast I am bit relaxed now, cant wait to hear from you guys : )

Hi all,
I delivered my baby at MtA too.
Dun worry, the staff there are just helpful and kind. I din get to join the antenatal class as i think my husband is not so keen to accompany me. But during your delivery in MtA, they do provide classes (1 per day)such as how to breastfeed, batheing your new born and exercising after birth) which i find it useful.
My gynae is Dr Lim Yuin Wen (lady) and her clinic is at MtA itself. She dun really talk much and she is very experience and good.

And just before you discharge, if you want, the nun there will actually take your baby to the chapel for blessing. She will lay your baby on the altar for God's blessing which i find it so wonderful.

natnat,
tks for sharing yr good experience in Mt A.. r u a Christian/Catholic.. if bb is not either, can still go for blessing by the sisters? Tks

Hi natnat, thanks for your inputs : ) how old is your baby? hope both of you n baby doing well.how much was the hospital bill?

I too found the environment is quite peaceful and holy which really gives you the sense of security that u r in good hands..

The antenatal classes are quite helpful, I am more aware and confident abt handling things now lets hope everything will be fine : )

BTW Can anybody Pls advice me abt Dr. Adrian from TMC (at CCK branch) but he can also deliver in few other hospital as well...

We are Catholics. Even you are not Christian/Catholic, they will also bring your baby for blessing (but upon request) cos i think not all parents will want to do it.

Cannot remember how much i pay for the bill, initially paid $600 to the gynae, then i think my husband paid very minimal (cos the rest deducted from his medisave accounts) after delivery.
I stayed in a 2 bedded ward (cosy and comfortable)

My baby girl is 8 months now...too active and wake up at least twice at night.... though tired but seeing her is a joy
happy.gif

Just check with my husband, think the overall bill is less than 3k.

Also to note: think they really support breast feeding. Will bring baby to you at night if you choose breastfeed. All nurses will be there to assist you (just ask).

August,
when are you due?? 22aug??

hi all
those who gave birth @ mt A, anyone staying in single bed room?
juz wanna know abt the post natal exercise class..

Hi natnat, I am due on 21st October : )
cant wait, hospital wise I have decided but still wondering if I can get some advice on gynae before signing up the package with Dr. adrian B Woodworth (from TMC located at CCK) as of now I am comfortable with him but seems like he is not quite popular like other gynae... Really hope if anybody can advice me...

Hi minnie wld appreciate if you can give me the name of that indian lady (your midwife at MAH) in case if you remember thanks

Hei All,

Im so confused. It seems that Mt.A is a kind of catholic or christian hospital. Im a malay and tot of giving birth in Mt.A. Reading about the nun getting our newborn baby blessed in the chapel freaks me out.

Any malay gals or any of your malay frens have given birth in Mt.A? Please do revert. I need advice badly.

Thanks.
happy.gif

MoM2B

haryani, u r right tat mt a is catholic hospital. if u not comfortable, i suggest u go to non religious one

mngo thanks for your advice. But I dun think the nun will get our child blessed in the chapel without our permission rite? I have some muslim frens delivered in Mt.A. Anyway, I try to find out more. What interest me with Mt.A is that the services given by the staffs there are so comforting. No stress at all...Thats what I need for a first timer mum....

MoM2B

hi haryani,
i went to mt a to get some information on this pastoral care thingy two days ago. yap! u are right, the prayers and blessings on the catholic way is only by Request and Arrangement.

hi mummies,
can someone advise when should i start my prenatal classes with mt a? is there a more favourable time period- like 1st, 2nd or 3rd trimester?
may i know how long are the classes? as in $120 for how many sessions and how long is each session; 1hr?
thanks in advance

hi,
best is to start sometime 6 mths and abv. that's u are near the due date, and everythings' fresh in yr mind. the classes last from 1.5-2hr. total of 6 sessions.

Back