KKH Private or Another Hospital?

4Lvi19

Hi all.

When I was pregnant last year, I was under KKH subsidised and was planning to switch to private. However at 16 weeks, I had a miscarriage and was admitted in A class (so became private). I really liked that gynae (Dr Lily Kho) who handled my case and she was very kind, empathetic and assuring. I suffered complications after a month as I didn't stop bleeding and she was really clear and explained what was happening and explained what my options were. The subsidised doctors who do their rounds in other parts of the day however, were not as skilled in explaining what the recommended direction was.

As I get ready to try again I'm trying to decide between going to KKH private or say private with a gynae who delivers at Mt Alvernia. I do understand that KKH has a good neonatal unit and that is one of the main reasons I'm considering it. However, one thing I didn't like at KKH (but I was subsidised) was how you have to walk into the emergency room for any question you have. I couldn't call up anyone and ask and this sometimes makes me question whether anything I'm going through is worthy of going to the emergency room. On the other hand, for private hospitals, this may not be the case? Maybe I could just walk in to the clinic? I'm not sure how it works in terms of an emergency (e.g. spotting or cramping).

Another issue I'm wondering about is whether KKH is more conservative that other hospitals. Would they have a strict protocol to follow? Would they tell me all my options? Are there procedures I may be recommended at a private hospital but not at KKH? If anyone has been through KKH private and private elsewhere and can share about this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Sis, from my recent experience, please go to private.

I switch from private hospital to KKH private on my last trimester due to some reasons. I totally regret my decision, hence I will recommend that you go to private hospital. End of the day, what you want is a smooth and ease of mind delivery. You want a good explanation where we can understand easily. Understand from my friends and family that when they give birth in private hospital, the doctor that came to visit you after the delivery should be the same gynae that helps to deliver for you. So from pregnancy > delivery > ward = same gynae who knows you.

And if you are thinking to go to KKH as a Private Patient, then you should be also able to afford delivery at Private hospital because I don't think the price difference is huge. For example, my regular check up at private is about $19x, KKH is more than $200.

Back