IVF in 2021?

Hi Ladies

I'm seeking advice, because I'm in dilemma.

I've been with SGH - Care, since early 2020. I did two rounds of ivf, but both unsuccessful.

1) I've noticed that the preference seems to be Nuh and KK. Thus, SGH seems less popular. Is there any undesirable concern with SGH ?

2) I still have 2 embryos, now frozen at SGH. I'm hesitating whether to do the Frozen Embryo Transfer. Because if unsuccessful, my hopes will be completely dashed. Yes, I'm currently living in hope and denial. Anyone with success stories with Frozen transfer ?

3) I'm asking for advice on this: will chances of success be higher if I opt to transfer only one Frozen embryo, compared to transfer two embryos ? I've asked doctor more than once but the reply has been uncertain. I'm with Dr Yong, anyone with her as well ?
Hi, I'm with Dr Yong at SGH. :)

Started seeing her in 2019 I think and now 13 weeks pregnant with my 2nd fresh cycle. Previously failed 2 IUIs, 1st fresh and 2 FETs before we made it.

I chose SGH because of some other medical condition that I have and I was seeing a doctor at SGH for it. So I thought it would be easier for comms within the same hospital.

Dr Yong will not give you answer whether your chances with 1 or 2 will be higher because tbh no one knows. She always left the decision to me and I think it was right because if I did end up with twins, would I be ready for it? Would my body be able to handle it? I think these are questions we have to think of when deciding to transfer 1 or 2.

I've seen some ladies who aren't too sure of Dr Yong, but I was comfortable with her so we just went with her all the way.

Not sure if its of any help, but I was with NUH purely due to me staying in the west. I think cos KKH is SG only women and child hospital hence no doubt the traffic is higher there for women issues compared to NUH or SGH.

I'm sure there's ladies who succeeded in SGH as well.

As for frozen, yes some ladies strike with frozen and not fresh. I'm one of them. Having said that I didn't have enough fresh transfer to compare. But I guess it make sense cos after fresh cycle, ur body is not at the optimal state. Having said that, there are many ladies who succeeded with fresh.

As for 1 or 2 embryos, some believed it doesn't matter, some swear by the fact 2 will increase the chances.. my doc believe it doesn't. For me cos I dont think I can handle twins so I've been just putting 1.

If u haven tried endo scratch, u can consider. Otherwise a frozen transfer might work for u. Never try, never know. Even if used up the 2 embryos, just try again!!

At the end of the day, IVF is a trial and error game. So just press on, success will be yours eventually.
Thank you for your encouragement.

Hi, I'm with Dr Yong at SGH. :)

Started seeing her in 2019 I think and now 13 weeks pregnant with my 2nd fresh cycle. Previously failed 2 IUIs, 1st fresh and 2 FETs before we made it.

I chose SGH because of some other medical condition that I have and I was seeing a doctor at SGH for it. So I thought it would be easier for comms within the same hospital.

Dr Yong will not give you answer whether your chances with 1 or 2 will be higher because tbh no one knows. She always left the decision to me and I think it was right because if I did end up with twins, would I be ready for it? Would my body be able to handle it? I think these are questions we have to think of when deciding to transfer 1 or 2.

I've seen some ladies who aren't too sure of Dr Yong, but I was comfortable with her so we just went with her all the way.
Thank you for your encouragement.
Actually before my 2 rounds of ivf, I also went thru 4 times IUI. The IUI were at Mount E Novena though. Wish me luck !

I’m with Dr Loh too! now still on Day 2 stimms so I cannot tell you how much the total cost will be but yes the receptionist told me 15-20k . So far my experience has been good :) quite easy to get appointment, and when I go there the queue / wait is okay, bearable, not too long. Also so far my experience and interaction with Dr Loh and the nurses have been good. Let me know how your visit goes! good luck

woooo! you too! sorry to have missed your post! :)
i went on the 17th. 10am appt but got there at 930am to register. by the time we left, it was like 12+pm liao. i noticed that every appt took about 10min. some barely 5.

anyway my experience with him is that he seemed rather jolly and very positive and quite quick. we already had all our testing done at NUH so he looked thru it and was like ok you can start next menses cycle, the nurse will tell you more. we asked him more qns and he answered them accordingly.

When we met the nurse she told us about some kind of counselling and consent briefing and these were separate things with separate costs.

Did you go thru them? is the IVF counselling statutory? if i go thru once do i have to do it again, if i want to change docs in the future?

Were you briefed on the IVF package ? https://thomsonfertility.com.sg/ivf-cost/

how are your meds so far? it's been 12 days! :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has done IVF with Dr Yu Su Ling at SGH?
or has thoughts about my idea below?

Earliest IVF schedules at SGH are only available from Aug or Sep, so we're considering to do one IVF with Dr Loh at Thomson, then see how, and can choose to move to Dr Yu at SGH after, if we wanted.

we can see the pros of staying with one doc, but also the pros of both private and public doctors, since they have access to different things.

Hi everyone,

Earliest IVF schedules at SGH are only available from Aug or Sep, so we're considering to do one IVF with Dr Loh at Thomson, then see how, and can choose to move to Dr Yu at SGH after, if we wanted.

we can see the pros of staying with one doc, but also the pros of both private and public doctors, since they have access to different things.
Just wondering how u intend to be under 2 IVF dr?

What i did was I'm under a pte dr for IVF, and if preg will hope over to govt hosp after 1st tri

Just wondering how u intend to be under 2 IVF dr?

What i did was I'm under a pte dr for IVF, and if preg will hope over to govt hosp after 1st tri

the idea is to do June cycle with Dr Loh. By July we'll know if it's successful or not, or how the experience was for us. If being with private doesn't work for us, then we can move to SGH for Aug or Sep cycle.

We've asked Dr Yu at our first consult telling her our plans and she said ok it makes sense cos of our time constraint (I'm 43!). Then if we come over SGH will know how well we have responded to the drugs etc.

the idea is to do June cycle with Dr Loh. By July we'll know if it's successful or not, or how the experience was for us. If being with private doesn't work for us, then we can move to SGH for Aug or Sep cycle.

We've asked Dr Yu at our first consult telling her our plans and she said ok it makes sense cos of our time constraint (I'm 43!). Then if we come over SGH will know how well we have responded to the drugs etc.
I see. Ok it make sense now. Can u still use medisave if u do at govt hosp?

Hi ladies, may I know for medicated FET cycle can it be done immediately following a failed fresh transfer? What meds are given on which days of the cycle?

Hi everyone,

Am with Dr Yu for 1st and 2nd ivf cycle. Succeeded w twins for 2nd ivf cycle and currently Dr Yu is my gynae.

• Love
Reactions: JnA
Good to hear. Any guidance? We are meeting him next week for discussion . Have done egg retrieval ?
Not yet.. I’m seeing him again tomorrow. Probably by then I should know when is the egg retrieval date.

he is a very nice doctor and he’s open for discussion.
Talk to him your concerns.

Not yet.. I’m seeing him again tomorrow. Probably by then I should know when is the egg retrieval date.

he is a very nice doctor and he’s open for discussion.
Talk to him your concerns.
Yes we found him very nice. Just checked AMH (13.95). Next Friday discussion prior to IVF.

woooo! you too! sorry to have missed your post! :)
i went on the 17th. 10am appt but got there at 930am to register. by the time we left, it was like 12+pm liao. i noticed that every appt took about 10min. some barely 5.

anyway my experience with him is that he seemed rather jolly and very positive and quite quick. we already had all our testing done at NUH so he looked thru it and was like ok you can start next menses cycle, the nurse will tell you more. we asked him more qns and he answered them accordingly.

When we met the nurse she told us about some kind of counselling and consent briefing and these were separate things with separate costs.

Did you go thru them? is the IVF counselling statutory? if i go thru once do i have to do it again, if i want to change docs in the future?

Were you briefed on the IVF package ? https://thomsonfertility.com.sg/ivf-cost/

how are your meds so far? it's been 12 days! :)

I think the counseling is mandatory if you change doctors even if you had done IVF before. Not sure if it applies if you change doctors in the same hospital/ clinic though.

Reactions: JnA
Hi Ladies, anyone did 2 fresh embryo transfer on first try? Was it a success for you? Share your experience please I'm due to start my ivf journey in a few days & as much as I've heard & read lots of success stories on frozen embryo transfer, I'd like to know more on fresh transfer too!

Hi ladies,

I'm one week post ET and these 2 days I kept seeing black clumps coming out. Anyone has the same experience and is it any cause for concern? TIA also having headaches, lower back pain and hot flushes at night since Friday

Hi ladies, posted this in the other support chat but thought I should also ask my fellow 2021 ivf-ers. I’m 10dp5pt and I started spotted on Friday. The spotting has intensified into bleeding and I went to O&G for a quick check. Doc gave me pills to stabilize the womb, said she couldn’t see any active bleeding source but she can’t rule out the fact that it’s a failed cycle either. Have any of you gotten your period before your progesterone supplements ended?

My BT is supposed to be on thursday but I’m planning to call KKH to push it to Tuesday so I can just get the news once and for all. Just in case you guys are wondering, I was with Dr Sandhana and I would totally recommend her for her professionalism.

this is my first cycle and I don’t know why I ever thought I would get it right on the first try I’m so stressed I can’t even sleep

Hi ladies,

I'm one week post ET and these 2 days I kept seeing black clumps coming out. Anyone has the same experience and is it any cause for concern? TIA also having headaches, lower back pain and hot flushes at night since Friday

Is yours fresh transfer? Black clumps could be old blood from retrieval. I had it 3 days post- retrieval last time (blackish-maroon) and hospital said normal.

Hi ladies, posted this in the other support chat but thought I should also ask my fellow 2021 ivf-ers. I’m 10dp5pt and I started spotted on Friday. The spotting has intensified into bleeding and I went to O&G for a quick check. Doc gave me pills to stabilize the womb, said she couldn’t see any active bleeding source but she can’t rule out the fact that it’s a failed cycle either. Have any of you gotten your period before your progesterone supplements ended?

My BT is supposed to be on thursday but I’m planning to call KKH to push it to Tuesday so I can just get the news once and for all. Just in case you guys are wondering, I was with Dr Sandhana and I would totally recommend her for her professionalism.

this is my first cycle and I don’t know why I ever thought I would get it right on the first try I’m so stressed I can’t even sleep
Stay positive and leave rest to the god. Be happy throughout your journey. You will be blessed

Hi ladies. I’m currently 11dp5dt i think ??
Did a FET (a hatching blast after thawing) on 27 May late afternoon.
Beta hcg on coming wednesday 9 June.
Anyone else also currently on 2ww ?
Have you all tried testing w preg kit at home?

Hi ladies. I’m currently 11dp5dt i think ??
Did a FET (a hatching blast after thawing) on 27 May late afternoon.
Beta hcg on coming wednesday 9 June.
Anyone else also currently on 2ww ?
Have you all tried testing w preg kit at home?
Yup can test already

Me on my 2ww.. blood test on 11th June. Seen some spotting y'day and today but not sure is it menses or implantation or old blood from the ivf cycle

Need some advice here.. I just failed my first fresh even though my doctor, Dr Tan Tse Yeun had great,positive words for my embryos. Yet none of them made it for freezing and my day 3 transfer was also not a success. :( We did ICSI and I thought ICSI success rate is higher than Ivf. Dr Tan is patient and friendly but now I kind of lost faith in her because she told me to decide on whether I want to do a day 3 or day 4 transfer (Day 5 is not possible bc it was a Sunday and they are closed?? Like it's such a lame reason to me). not faulting her here but just wondering if a change of doctor for my 2nd cycle would change anything. I'm on the subsidized route, would I be able to request for a specific doctor? My hubs has low sperm count but my AMH and blood tests results are all normal/fine.. Would appreciate any words of advice. thank you all..

Need some advice here.. I just failed my first fresh even though my doctor, Dr Tan Tse Yeun had great,positive words for my embryos. Yet none of them made it for freezing and my day 3 transfer was also not a success. :( We did ICSI and I thought ICSI success rate is higher than Ivf. Dr Tan is patient and friendly but now I kind of lost faith in her because she told me to decide on whether I want to do a day 3 or day 4 transfer (Day 5 is not possible bc it was a Sunday and they are closed?? Like it's such a lame reason to me). not faulting her here but just wondering if a change of doctor for my 2nd cycle would change anything. I'm on the subsidized route, would I be able to request for a specific doctor? My hubs has low sperm count but my AMH and blood tests results are all normal/fine.. Would appreciate any words of advice. thank you all..
ICSI is just a method of injecting the sperm into the egg to get it fertilised. So higher fertilisation rate, not higher success in terms of the egg becoming a good grade embryo or getting pregnant.

Nowadays I think almost all is by ICSI.

Sunday is closed and they don't do transfer is not a lame excuse. It is a fact. Even at pte clinic outside, they don't do on Sunday as well. If patient really request the surcharge is alot.

Subsidised route cannot choose doctor unfortunately.

I see..thanks for your reply... trying to understand why I failed but I guess certain things in life will never have a definite answer. Only thing is carry on trying.

Like others, ICSI is not ensuring that ivf will succeed. You should have been briefed by them that ICSI just helps select visually better sperms to be injected and overcomes the sperm penetrating the egg issues which some people have. Even if the doctor has positive words for the embryos, there are a million reasons why it will not implant, plus ‘good embryo’ is also visually determined. Nobody knows the chromosomal combinations or actual quality inside.

transfers usually do not happen on Sundays and holidays unless you must have it, go private and pay a bomb for it because it means having the doctors, nurses and embryologists all back to do the transfer for one patient so even private clinics will not suggest a Sunday/PH transfer.

continuing or changing doctor will depend on your comfort level and confidence. Rarely, people succeed on the first round because the doctors do not know how well you respond to the stimms meds. Changing doc may also mean you will not be able to do subsidised route but not sure of KKH, last I understand was as long as ivf, it is not subsidised?

I thought your blood test on 11 June? Your menses is here? If you are requesting to change a doctor means that you are under private. So in the future if u are successful, all the consultation will be charged under private rates.

you mean you back to KKH for quick check? I have the same problem. Bleed on 9dp5dt, I called the hotline they asked me to continue monitor and crinone insert. What pill they gave? Have you done ur blood test?

Thanks for the advice.. hope to have some answers on my next doctor review before I start my 2nd cycle. :) As long as one comes in through polyclinic referral, one will be subsidized patient from the first consultation, scans and tests all the way through.

Back