IVF 2019

Hello all, I am new here.
Thanks for sharing all the stories about ivf journey. I hope I can also share my ivf journey with you all. Mostly all of you are doing your ivf at KKH/NUH but I done mine at a private hospital.
Just a short introduction, I am 37yo this year and I had 1 cycle of egg retrieval and did 3 times of ivf frozen transfer. This year is my 4th years of ivf journey, 1st transfer we only made it to 6 weeks and later did a D&C. 2nd transfer was not pregnant at all. 3rd transfer was on 26 Feb 2019, now I am 7th weeks of pregnant and thanks god that we finally made it on our last embryo (grade 4BB, after LAH become grade 5BB). It was a really great news for us.
If you have any question, I am happy to answer! Cheers and don’t give up!

Hi, can u check if you had any progesterone suppository before the FET?
Hello all, I am new here.
Thanks for sharing all the stories about ivf journey. I hope I can also share my ivf journey with you all. Mostly all of you are doing your ivf at KKH/NUH but I done mine at a private hospital.
Just a short introduction, I am 37yo this year and I had 1 cycle of egg retrieval and did 3 times of ivf frozen transfer. This year is my 4th years of ivf journey, 1st transfer we only made it to 6 weeks and later did a D&C. 2nd transfer was not pregnant at all. 3rd transfer was on 26 Feb 2019, now I am 7th weeks of pregnant and thanks god that we finally made it on our last embryo (grade 4BB, after LAH become grade 5BB). It was a really great news for us.
If you have any question, I am happy to answer! Cheers and don’t give up!

Also, congrats on the pregnancy!!

Thanks for sharing your story and gratz to you!!

Just wonder why your FET were so far apart? Over 3 years?

Take care of yourself. Jia you!

Yes, it’s due to my lining thickness. I have very thin lining, the ideal thickness for a transfer is Min 8mm and after the first cycle failed. My lining can only grow up to 6mm to 7mm. So every month is just to scan and wait :(
Same to you, don’t give up! Jia You!

Hey ladies (and gentleman)

I had my egg retrieval on Saturday morning at KKH. It wasn’t as traumatising as I was expecting but still quite.... surreal.

Anyway I don’t feel bloated but I feel like my stomach area is tighter. Not sure how to explain it. Like when I stand up straight I feel like an almost pulling sensation. It’s not painful it’s just uncomfortable.

Is this normal? Anybody has the same symptoms?

I had my egg retrieval on Saturday morning at KKH. It wasn’t as traumatising as I was expecting but still quite.... surreal.

Anyway I don’t feel bloated but I feel like my stomach area is tighter. Not sure how to explain it. Like when I stand up straight I feel like an almost pulling sensation. It’s not painful it’s just uncomfortable.

Hope you are feeling better today. It’s quite similar to how i felt when i woke up from the GA after retrieval so nothing to worry about.

I just felt the pulling sensation when I tried to sit up in the hospital bed....felt fine aft discharge...

Just that 4 days after ER, I felt sharp pain in my pelvic area and I saw fresh blood in my panty liner. Apparently, my menses came much earlier and it was v painful.

Mt E embryologist called me at 9am plus to inform our D2 progress...

Only 1 embryo divides into 4 cells and 2 divides into 2 cells atm. These 3 are of average quality. The rest are of below average quality.

Anyone knows if the embyro grading can go up over the days? *sad*

Only 1 out of the 13 fertilized eggs make it to blastocyst stage. According to the embryologist, it is of 4AB grading.

Suggested us to do anothe round of simulation to get more blastocysts as I am 38+ now.

Frozen eggs can still be thawed later for implantation but eggs can't wait....

Haiz... in a dilemma on what to do...suffer a number of side effects during stimm....

How did it worsen your condition? Just curious. As I’m now taking it.
For my case, yes. Monitor for more than one year the lining still the same as 4-5mm or sometimes reach 6mm. After stop taking it, monitor the lining condition getting better and better. It manage to grow without any medication and up to 7-8mm.

Hi im gg to do my egg retrieval on Saturday. I’ve chosen fresh cycle cos I don’t want to wait another cycle. But i may be at risk of ohss cos i hv 16 follicles? But I’m on borderline high but not that high. Has anyone experienced ohss upon egg transfer? Does it increase chances of miscarriage?

How did it worsen your condition? Just curious. As I’m now taking it.

Hi there, are you inserting the Crinone gel for this cycle ? I am doing FET and the nurse advise to insert 5 days before transfer. What about you ?

Hi 88berries,

Both made it = twins? Will like to Congrats to you first.

I was called back by my doc to perform ET for 2 D2 embryos today. Grade 4 and grade 3. Out of the 6 follicles retrieved only 5 are matured eggs then only 3 fertilised, with two still growing on D2. Tough decision to transfer 1 or 2. Doc says no point waiting till d5 since I’m left with 2 embryos. I hesitated to transfer one and let the other continue to grow in the lab. But I’m afraid I might lose it.

In the end I transferred both. Blood test on 12th. Praying v hard for my beanies to stick well.

Yup. Thanks!! How's everything?

Hi All, I am glad that I have read your stories. I would like to share my story. I have been married for 4 years. And no news at all. Last year me and hub went for checkup. And I was diagnosed with fallopian tube block on the right side. Doc from Thomson recommend me to do IVF. But quite expensive as it was private. So we decide to try TCM. We tried for 6 mths. No news. And now I just went to polyclinic to get a referral letter. And my first appt is 11 April 2019. I am really nervous. Not sure how long will it takes for my first ivf. I am 32 this year. Can't wait any longer. People around me gets pregnant so easily and whenever I hear good news from them I am happy yet upset at myself. I really want a kid. My mum is concerned as IVF isn't a sure pregnant thing. Her friend did like 5 times before she succeeded. Not sure when will be the next appt for ivf after the first appt.
I understand exactly how you feel, however try to take things one step at a time. This is what I have learned throughout my journey I know it’s difficult though.
Waiting time from what i gather depends on hospital and your situation.
I’m at kkh. First appt in Dec and going for the ivf briefing this month. Ivf starts in May.

I just did my ER today.. not as painless as some of you had experienced. My right ovary had a pulsating ache for quite a while whereas left ovary didn’t feel anything. I think cld be because i had 10 follicles on the right ovary so they must hv done quite a bit of work down that side. The pulsating ache subsided now im feeling the discomfort from bloatedness, it almost feels like the ache u get after a rigorous core workout the say before. Praying it subsides soon.

Hi there, are you inserting the Crinone gel for this cycle ? I am doing FET and the nurse advise to insert 5 days before transfer. What about you ?

Hi, I’m inserting progesterone suppository. Tablet form insert via the VJ.

All the best to you!

I don’t think NUH did the fresh transfer at all (maybe I’m wrong) but from what I seem here and I have friend IVF at NUH also same never have fresh transfer. All of them are on FET.

You’re right always depend on personal.. chances are always on individual
I’m doing at NUH and I have the option to do fresh transfer. I think they see how risky you are of getting ohss

Hi everyone, new here.
I just did my egg retrieval at SGH. Total 28 follicles collected. I think consider very high amount but never been ask to go for frozen.

Typically what you all eat after ER?? Hopefully I will get good embryos.
Yea that’s a lot. So are u doing fresh transfer? I hv 16 follicles and my doc said im borderline for ohss, but he did let me opt for fresh transfer . I just did ER so waiting if I develop any symptoms for ohss. Feeling bloated now

Hi everyone. Its inspiring to read about people who are in the same boat as me esp those with success stories.

I am nearing 30, female. i found out a year ago that I have a considerably low ovarian reserve =(. Does anyone have this condition as well? Anyone with this condition and successful IVF?

I am opting for IVF soon too. waiting for the clinic to give me a call.

Hi everyone. Its inspiring to read about people who are in the same boat as me esp those with success stories.

I am nearing 30, female. i found out a year ago that I have a considerably low ovarian reserve =(. Does anyone have this condition as well? Anyone with this condition and successful IVF?

I am opting for IVF soon too. waiting for the clinic to give me a call.

My AMH is 1 and i am with KKH. Dr said i have low ovarian reserve. My 1st IVF only retrieve 4 eggs. All fertilised but not good quality. 2 of them reached stage 2 of the blastocyst. (Embryologist told me there are 2 stages for blastocyst, stage 4/expanded is the best) Transferred 2 but failed to implant. no frozen as the other 2 didnt survive.
Dr asked me to try a 2nd IVF and she will increase my dosage to retrieve more eggs.

Hi, can I check for those who have done the FET, during your 2WW, did you all had any symptoms of pregnancy? I’m currently going through the 2WW.

Hi after embryo transfer, will u take the full 2 weeks off or just go back to work per normal? I am undecided, thinking to just take 1 week but my work is quite stressful at times n won’t be able to knock off on time. Some people says stress is not a factor affecting the success but I don’t really want to jeopardise the chances too.

Hi after embryo transfer, will u take the full 2 weeks off or just go back to work per normal? I am undecided, thinking to just take 1 week but my work is quite stressful at times n won’t be able to knock off on time. Some people says stress is not a factor affecting the success but I don’t really want to jeopardise the chances too.

I think you can look at it 2 ways. 1 is stress from work if you go back to work. And if stay home, will keep thinking about the results after 2weeks. 2weeks will seem so long.

I will be doing a 5day transfer in May. I read that after ET, it takes about 5 days for implantation to complete so i just might take leave during that period and bask myself in alot of self love and pampering - cafe hopping, reading, scalp massage etc. I don’t think i will be doing much bed rest, it’s better for blood to flow.

Hi, I'm new here! Anyone has done the ICSI method for IVF here?

Btw, just curious. how do you girls know about the different terminology like blastocyst, whether its good quality or poor etc? The IVF briefing will explain the stages of the IVF?

Btw, just curious. how do you girls know about the different terminology like blastocyst, whether its good quality or poor etc? The IVF briefing will explain the stages of the IVF?

Hello there!

Yes, me. My husband has male factor, low motility and morphology 1%. Count is so-so.

I did a lot of googling. If you have an instagram, i find this particular account (@ivf_explained) by an embryologist super helpful - it explains a lot of the going-ons inside the lab - how is ICSI done, how they choose sperm, what happens when they freeze your embryo (it changes shape!).

Hi all, is the trigger shot usually the same day as your +opk? Then ER is 2 days after? Trying to see which month is the most ideal around my work schedule, if I ever do want to try IVF.

It depends on how you respond to the medication. My cycle is usually 45 days but when i started my ivf, i only had 8 days of injection before triggering. ER is 2 days after for me.

If you want to try, i suggest you allocate 3-6 months. I told my doctor that i want to do ivf in Jan, but after all the preparations (wait for my next cycle to start bc, do blood test, freeze my husband’s sample etc), we only managed to do ER in Mar. And then now we are waiting for FET in May. It’s kinda hard to plan actually. I would say, if you decided to go for it, then just plan your work around it.

Thank you! Do you have the list of the blood tests required for IVF so that I can countercheck against? I am from private but my gynae actually advised me to go government hospital to do IVF cause of some government subsidy in addition to Medisave deduction. She said wasted if singaporean couples don’t make use of it and we can always go back to her for pre-natal. So wondering if my current blood tests are complete. My first appointment at SGH CARE is slated to be my first day of menses and was hoping to start on the injectables on CD3 (though this expedited process now seems to be a wishful thinking).

It depends on how you respond to the medication. My cycle is usually 45 days but when i started my ivf, i only had 8 days of injection before triggering. ER is 2 days after for me.

If you want to try, i suggest you allocate 3-6 months. I told my doctor that i want to do ivf in Jan, but after all the preparations (wait for my next cycle to start bc, do blood test, freeze my husband’s sample etc), we only managed to do ER in Mar. And then now we are waiting for FET in May. It’s kinda hard to plan actually. I would say, if you decided to go for it, then just plan your work around it.

Thank you! Do you have the list of the blood tests required for IVF so that I can countercheck against? I am from private but my gynae actually advised me to go government hospital to do IVF cause of some government subsidy in addition to Medisave deduction. She said wasted if singaporean couples don’t make use of it and we can always go back to her for pre-natal. So wondering if my current blood tests are complete. My first appointment at SGH CARE is slated to be my first day of menses and was hoping to start on the injectables on CD3 (though this expedited process now seems to be a wishful thinking).

The blood test is to check for STDs and only valid for 6 months.

I am doing ivf at sgh care now. Tml is ER. *nervous*
Our first consulation was in Oct 2018. After all tests and consulation with doc, and one failed iui, we only manage to start ivf program only in end Mar.

Be prepared to take some mc/half day leave to do tests etc. Well...i didnt tell my boss that i am doing ivf. My boss is very unhappy at me for disappearing from work from time to time. :(

My AMH is 1 and i am with KKH. Dr said i have low ovarian reserve. My 1st IVF only retrieve 4 eggs. All fertilised but not good quality. 2 of them reached stage 2 of the blastocyst. (Embryologist told me there are 2 stages for blastocyst, stage 4/expanded is the best) Transferred 2 but failed to implant. no frozen as the other 2 didnt survive.
Dr asked me to try a 2nd IVF and she will increase my dosage to retrieve more eggs.

Hi there

Thanks so much for replying me. I'm sorry about what happened. It must be painful for you to relay this episode. Hence, thank you so much for sharing. i really appreciate it. I hope that your 2nd IVF will be successful. Hang in there! We are in this together. =) Good luck!

My AMH is 0.8 btw. =(

All the best to you!! I feel nervous and excited for you at the same time? Are you under Dr Hema? Do you have the list of blood tests you did? Hope the scans had been good so far! Would be interested to follow your updates!

Yes, i am under dr hema. It is getting crowded at sgh care these days.

To be honest, i got lost along the way. I did blood tests for several items which i cannot remb and also ultrascan, pap smear. And also hsg test to check if tubes are blocked.

I personally feel that the arrangement at sgh is not so good. Bcos some test need to be done During menses, some after menses end. There is some time lost here n there to wait for next cycle to do certain test and consult doc.

All the best to you!! I feel nervous and excited for you at the same time? Are you under Dr Hema? Do you have the list of blood tests you did? Hope the scans had been good so far! Would be interested to follow your updates!

Thank you for the insights! All the best tmr and it’s worth the wait!

To be honest, i got lost along the way. I did blood tests for several items which i cannot remb and also ultrascan, pap smear. And also hsg test to check if tubes are blocked.

I personally feel that the arrangement at sgh is not so good. Bcos some test need to be done During menses, some after menses end. There is some time lost here n there to wait for next cycle to do certain test and consult doc.

Oh I have done that last month. Anymore tests?

I think that would depend on your condition. My doc wanted to check on a few other things due to some earlier test results so i had hormone tests, xray, HSG and also hysteroscopy. But those were done way before i started ivf.

I know what you mean. My doc is not very good at telling me what happens next. And i am not good at asking what’s next. So after my ER, i felt like some time was wasted because my next scheduled appointment with him was about 10 days later and by then i was already CD5. I couldn’t use that cycle to start my FET protocol.

I think stress is a huge factor! So I’ll definitely be taking the two weeks home leave. I’ll try and do some work from home but nothing stressful. I’ve pushed all my business trips to first three months so i can have a relatively relax time at work during this period.

I think you kind of pick things up along the way lol. My experience is that they don’t really explain full picture, at every stage im surprised with new information that delays the process. I don’t know if that’s the difference between private and govt hospital. But im getting a subsidy so just gotta suck it up lol.

I think that would depend on your condition. My doc wanted to check on a few other things due to some earlier test results so i had hormone tests, xray, HSG and also hysteroscopy. But those were done way before i started ivf.

I know what you mean. My doc is not very good at telling me what happens next. And i am not good at asking what’s next. So after my ER, i felt like some time was wasted because my next scheduled appointment with him was about 10 days later and by then i was already CD5. I couldn’t use that cycle to start my FET protocol.
I totally know what you mean. And you get pricked so many times for blood samples you think why can’t they just run all the tests at once. It’s the same at NUH. So much time wasted. But i feel they are following a protocol eg if your hsg don’t pass they won’t need the subsequent tests. So they do it step by step. Probably if under subsidy they don’t want to waste resources and run unnecessary tests. I planned to start ivf in Nov 2018 but only managed to start in Mar 2019 in the end. But my process is more complicated cos I have a pgd screen as my husband and I are thalaessemia minor carriers.

What was the dosage given for your first IVF? I think I might be having low ovation reserve too. 100 puregon only generated 1 dominant follicle. My DH’s motile sperm was 12.2mil and 6% morphology after washing. So a bit wasted. Not sure what I should prep to improve the condition sigh.

I was given Elonva (1st jab that lasts for 7 days) then only with Puregon 300 for subsequent days. Initially i was happy that I have less self-injection to do because the 1st jab could last for 7 days!
on hindsight, I think this is not a good idea because I only return for scan on day8/9. Apparently, my ovary follicles didn't respond well to Elonva so couldn't stimulate the growth as much.

Your DH is good! mine has 13 million but 1% morphology. for my case, the egg quality is the primary concern.

Hi there

Thanks so much for replying me. I'm sorry about what happened. It must be painful for you to relay this episode. Hence, thank you so much for sharing. i really appreciate it. I hope that your 2nd IVF will be successful. Hang in there! We are in this together. =) Good luck!

My AMH is 0.8 btw. =(

I managed to cope and got over it. I tell myself I must look ahead. There is no turning back. All the best!

yup, unfortunately i don’t think your expedited process will happen although it makes sense to. i was like you too. i first went to a private clinic (virtus) this was before i knew about the grant. we then decided might as well go to public to use up the “free money” available to us. i did a blood test with virtus but turns out it was done on the wrong day. (there’s a blood test that needs to be done on cycle day 2) so when we moved to NUH, prof ordered a battery of tests — hormone blood test, HIV and also HSG (for hubby, an SA). to give you an idea of the timeline i faced, i saw prof for initial consultation on 3 august and started my stimming (i.e: injections) on the 10th of september.

another thing you probably should consider is if you are a straight to IVF case or not. (this will be clear after all the tests) for me, my hubby has azoospermia (low everything) so it was clear we could only conceive via IVF. they might recommend for you to go through IUI before moving on to IVF

I was given Elonva (1st jab that lasts for 7 days) then only with Puregon 300 for subsequent days. Initially i was happy that I have less self-injection to do because the 1st jab could last for 7 days!
on hindsight, I think this is not a good idea because I only return for scan on day8/9. Apparently, my ovary follicles didn't respond well to Elonva so couldn't stimulate the growth as much.

Your DH is good! mine has 13 million but 1% morphology. for my case, the egg quality is the primary concern.

Hope your second round is successful! Would you doing puregon all the way? Would be interested to know the progress.

I totally know what you mean. And you get pricked so many times for blood samples you think why can’t they just run all the tests at once. It’s the same at NUH. So much time wasted. But i feel they are following a protocol eg if your hsg don’t pass they won’t need the subsequent tests. So they do it step by step. Probably if under subsidy they don’t want to waste resources and run unnecessary tests. I planned to start ivf in Nov 2018 but only managed to start in Mar 2019 in the end. But my process is more complicated cos I have a pgd screen as my husband and I are thalaessemia minor carriers.
yeah i feel like that’s the difference between private and govt hospitals. with govt hospitals like NUH they will truly follow protocol and are hesitant to go against it. like i
Hi! Thank you for the reply particularly the timeline! I have done all tests - HSG, SA, god-knows how many blood tests. Regular 28-days menses, no blocked tubes, normozoospermia etc. Really “unexplained subfertility”. Even 1 failed SO-IUI. According to my gynae, “the egg and sperm just don’t want to meet”. Irritating haha! Will be starting my counselling and consultation when my current TWW is confirmed over.
ooh you know what, you might be able to wrangle a quick start after all since you’ve done all the tests and had a failed IUI. not sure how SGH works but i think the only test they need up-to-date will be the STD screening (at least that’s how it was with NUH). you should be able to convince the clinic quite easily to let you start as soon as possible. good luck!

Hi all, anyone done FET here before? Need some advice.

I am currently on birth control and waiting for FET in May. Today is my Day 17 on bc and i need to continue till 21 Apr. I had a Triptorelin jab on the bum 2 days ago and today i noticed that i am spotting. Is it normal to be spotting while on bc? My menses is only expected to come 3-4 days after i stop my bc.

Back