IVF 2019

Hi all, just had my eggs retrieved last weekend. Currently taking a day off from work as a precaution and since my mind can’t stop thinking about the ivf, i have decided to write my experiences so far to share. I think it’s gonna be cathartic . Feel free to ask me anything.

I am 33 and DH is 31. We tried for 1 SO-IUI and 1 IUI, both failed. We are now at NUH with Prof PC Wong onto our first IVF.

I used to have long and irregular cycles, managed to shorten them to somewhat regular 40-ish days thanks to TCM and acupuncture. DH has teratozoospermia with low morphology (1%). Read alot of articles online that usually with these kind of male factor, docs will go straight to IVF, so not sure why PC Wong wants us to go for IUI first.

Anyhoo, here we are, hopeful for our first BFP through this cycle. We have been trying for over 3 yrs, never been pregnant before.

I started in Feb with 14 days of Norethisterone. Supposed to be 12 but i think the nurse didn’t explained properly so i took it for another 2 days. No harm done, says Prof, it just means our cycle will start later. He did a baseline scan on the day after i stopped NE, and checked for cysts (none) and lining (thin therefore good). My menses came 2 days later and i started injections on CD2.

I went in for scans about 3-4 days apart and given more meds. For my first scan, i had 11 follicles which is a good start, says the Prof. For my second scan, i had 18 follicles which is abit too much and it makes me a candidate for OHSS. When at first, we wanted to do a fresh transfer, due to the number of follicles, Prof changed it to frozen transfer. Not too concerned at this stage because i read that frozen might be better.

For my last scan, there were 20 follicles measuring between 11mm to 19mm. I counted about 7 of them measuring 17mm and above. Doc says its time to trigger. I felt its time to trigger as well. I am starting to feel really uncomfortable while moving, not to mention the bloat and weight gain. I was also told to eat high protein food and drink lots of water to counter OHSS.

Retrieval took place exactly 36 hours after i trigger shot myself (all my injections are self-adminstered, i would never let my DH touch me lol). I checked into the hospital 2 hours before, fasted for 12 hours, and the procedure took 25 minutes. It took me another 30 minutes to wake up from the GA and then another 4 hrs to recuperate in the ward. During that period, they placed me on drips and constantly check for bp and heart rate. I was feeling very crampy (normal) and bleeding slightly when i wiped (also normal). A doctor made her rounds in the ward informing all the ladies about the results of the retrieval. Mine was 20.

I was told that the embryologist at the lab would call me everyday starting monday to update about the eggs/embryos status. Today is Day 2 and the results are:
20 eggs retrieved
10 eggs matured
7 fertilized
5 good quality Day 2, 1 average quality and 1 below average

And now we wait. Our hopes are to have as many good grade blastocyst by Day 5 before being freezed.

Hi all, just had my eggs retrieved last weekend. Currently taking a day off from work as a precaution and since my mind can’t stop thinking about the ivf, i have decided to write my experiences so far to share. I think it’s gonna be cathartic . Feel free to ask me anything.

I am 33 and DH is 31. We tried for 1 SO-IUI and 1 IUI, both failed. We are now at NUH with Prof PC Wong onto our first IVF.

I used to have long and irregular cycles, managed to shorten them to somewhat regular 40-ish days thanks to TCM and acupuncture. DH has teratozoospermia with low morphology (1%). Read alot of articles online that usually with these kind of male factor, docs will go straight to IVF, so not sure why PC Wong wants us to go for IUI first.

Anyhoo, here we are, hopeful for our first BFP through this cycle. We have been trying for over 3 yrs, never been pregnant before.

I started in Feb with 14 days of Norethisterone. Supposed to be 12 but i think the nurse didn’t explained properly so i took it for another 2 days. No harm done, says Prof, it just means our cycle will start later. He did a baseline scan on the day after i stopped NE, and checked for cysts (none) and lining (thin therefore good). My menses came 2 days later and i started injections on CD2.

I went in for scans about 3-4 days apart and given more meds. For my first scan, i had 11 follicles which is a good start, says the Prof. For my second scan, i had 18 follicles which is abit too much and it makes me a candidate for OHSS. When at first, we wanted to do a fresh transfer, due to the number of follicles, Prof changed it to frozen transfer. Not too concerned at this stage because i read that frozen might be better.

For my last scan, there were 20 follicles measuring between 11mm to 19mm. I counted about 7 of them measuring 17mm and above. Doc says its time to trigger. I felt its time to trigger as well. I am starting to feel really uncomfortable while moving, not to mention the bloat and weight gain. I was also told to eat high protein food and drink lots of water to counter OHSS.

Retrieval took place exactly 36 hours after i trigger shot myself (all my injections are self-adminstered, i would never let my DH touch me lol). I checked into the hospital 2 hours before, fasted for 12 hours, and the procedure took 25 minutes. It took me another 30 minutes to wake up from the GA and then another 4 hrs to recuperate in the ward. During that period, they placed me on drips and constantly check for bp and heart rate. I was feeling very crampy (normal) and bleeding slightly when i wiped (also normal). A doctor made her rounds in the ward informing all the ladies about the results of the retrieval. Mine was 20.

I was told that the embryologist at the lab would call me everyday starting monday to update about the eggs/embryos status. Today is Day 2 and the results are:
20 eggs retrieved
10 eggs matured
7 fertilized

And now we wait. Our hopes are to have as many good grade blastocyst by Day 5 before being freezed.
Good luck to you! Anyway, how the jabs? Is it manageable? How ur tolerance to pain?

Good luck to you! Anyway, how the jabs? Is it manageable? How ur tolerance to pain?

It’s pretty manageable for me. Just a slight prick. My biggest hurdle is not the pain but rather the thought of puncturing myself with a sharp needle lol! Taking deep breaths help. Sitting down helps also. Having a roll of fats around the waist helps alot too haha

Hey everyone, I just started my first injection today for IVF. Finally as my period was a week late this month, had to take pills to delay my period as I had scheduled a trip before my IVF journey started.

I am self-injecting 125ml of Puregon for 4 days, and then doing Puregon AND Orgalutran for the next 4 days before going for egg pick up, tentatively on 27th March.

Today after the Puregon shot, I had a throbbing headache and extremely dizzy. I slept for about 4 hours uninterrupted in the afternoon.

Anyone has similar side effects?

I just came across ur post. I hope that your ivf has been a success. Ur case n my case is totally the same. Not sure have u see any tcm?

Yes I've been going for acupuncture for the past 2 months and I must say my flow is richer red and no cramps/ any PMS symptoms at all. My body also feels warmer as I used to feel cold easily, hopefully this would help with the IVF!

20 eggs retrieved
10 eggs matured
7 fertilized

Hi Billie,

Thanks for sharing. KKIVF does not give a daily update of the embryos status.
Me too due to ohss, I cannot do the fresh transfer. Currently, I have 5 frozen blastocysts. Would you be doing FET next month?

All the best to you.

Hi Billie,

Me too due to ohss, I cannot do the fresh transfer. Currently, I have 5 frozen blastocysts. Would you be doing FET next month?

All the best to you.

Hi Mellyn,

Thanks for the well-wishes :)

Not sure yet about the transfer date. Need to wait a couple more days to see which made it to blastocyst. Hopefully i can do a transfer next month.

Good luck for yours!

Hi Mellyn,

Thanks for the well-wishes :)

Not sure yet about the transfer date. Need to wait a couple more days to see which made it to blastocyst. Hopefully i can do a transfer next month.

Good luck for yours!
Let’s aim for next month. Jia you!!

20 eggs retrieved
10 eggs matured
7 fertilized

Good luck and all the best!

Hi Billie,

All the best to you.

Can share how is the update for KKH on the embryo status? Every alternate days?

I am not sure for fresh cycle but for my case, since KKIVF is going to freeze all the embryos right from the start, I gotten an update from the embryologist on the 7th day after ER. I was informed that I have 5 blasts in the freezer. Tats all.

Lab just called to update on Day 3 results. No change to previous day’s result which i think is great news:

5 good quality
1 average quality
1 below average

Do these indicators (“good”, “average”, “below average”) follow some sort of scientific / national standard? Would be grateful if anyone can share some insight.

I am not sure for fresh cycle but for my case, since KKIVF is going to freeze all the embryos right from the start, I gotten an update from the embryologist on the 7th day after ER. I was informed that I have 5 blasts in the freezer. Tats all.
I see. Thanks for sharing

Lab just called to update on Day 3 results. No change to previous day’s result which i think is great news:

5 good quality
1 average quality
1 below average

Do these indicators (“good”, “average”, “below average”) follow some sort of scientific / national standard? Would be grateful if anyone can share some insight.

Scheduled for transfer on Day 5?
All the best!

5 good quality
1 average quality
1 below average

Very good result, 5 good q-ty should survive till day 5.
As far as I understand, it’s NUH’s standard. Mostly clinics worldwide use terminology like 5AA, 4BC.
I’m in my second fresh now, day 4 stimulation, also under Prof Wong.
How are you feeling after ER?

Last edited:
Very good result, 5 good q-ty should survive till day 5.
As far as I understand, it’s NUH’s standard. Mostly clinics worldwide use terminology like 5AA, 4BC.
I’m in my second fresh now, day 4 stimulation, also under Prof Wong.
How are you feeling after ER?

Thank you for the positive words!

After ER, it was pretty alright initially, the cramp and bloat came down, weight too, thank God for that. I rested for 2 days and then last evening i ran across a road which is just a few metres. Right after, i found some pink blood underneath. There was none for the last 2 days. So i concluded that i should take doc’s advice seriously - no running, carrying heavy load etc. for the next 1-2 weeks.

Just for laughs, credit goes to IG:Betamummy

Story of my life though :D

I worry about where to place my hands, where to look, whether my undies are presentable enough lol

Attachments

• 8C95994A-D2A4-4204-826C-FD6102B35AED.jpeg
    8C95994A-D2A4-4204-826C-FD6102B35AED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391

KKIVF Centre won’t call for update nor they won’t entertain if you call in to ask. Doesn’t matter if fresh or frozen cycle.

We have gone thru 2 fresh cycle in KKIVF last year.

Today they called me early. This lab update, although i am grateful for, it’s giving my heart a lot of stress lol. I kept imagining the worst when i saw the number calling.

Day 4
2 good quality
3 satisfactory (new word!)
2 below average

They will freeze it once it reaches blastocyst which is about Day 5. They might call me later in the day tomorrow, depending on the embryos condition.

Last edited:
Today they called me early. This lab update, although i am grateful for, it’s giving my heart a lot of stress lol. I kept imagining the worst when i saw the number calling.

Day 4
2 good quality
2 below average

They will freeze it once it reaches blastocyst which is about Day 5. They might call me later in the day tomorrow, depending on the embryos condition.

Sounds promising. Jia you!

I seem so many from NUH are on FET instead of fresh cycle. Probably I counted 10.. 9 are FET.. (maybe I’m wrong) because few of my friend at NUH also FET

I think there are 2 thoughts of practice. The NUH nurse told me that Prof Stephen Chew don't do fresh cycle anymore. But Prof PC Wong and his team will still do fresh cycle (not to waste any possible chance).

Day 4
2 good quality
2 below average

I understand how u feel. When the embryologist from kk called me, I was also thinking of the worst.

Be positive k.

Hey everyone, I just started my first injection today for IVF. Finally as my period was a week late this month, had to take pills to delay my period as I had scheduled a trip before my IVF journey started.

I am self-injecting 125ml of Puregon for 4 days, and then doing Puregon AND Orgalutran for the next 4 days before going for egg pick up, tentatively on 27th March.

Today after the Puregon shot, I had a throbbing headache and extremely dizzy. I slept for about 4 hours uninterrupted in the afternoon.

Anyone has similar side effects?

Hello all

I started my jab on day 2 of my menses. Going for my first scan tomorrow (stim D7) after 6 shots of GonalF and 6 shots of orgalutran. My hb is supposed to clear on 24th, meaning my ER is same as you 27th. Probably can see u at the ward while we r resting :)

Not much side effect except for tiredness, a bit cramp today. I have bruising on my tummy due to my clumsiness on my first self jab.

Good luck all of you who are on 2WW or resting for FET. Baby dust to all of you!

I think there are 2 thoughts of practice. The NUH nurse told me that Prof Stephen Chew don't do fresh cycle anymore. But Prof PC Wong and his team will still do fresh cycle (not to waste any possible chance).

Yeah, that’s right. i see in this thread mention that NUH **only** do FET, that’s not true. it’s just that the doctor assess the patient’s response to the drugs and gauge the risk of OHSS, and make the decision whether to freeze or do fresh transfer. this is based on my experience at NUH with Prof PC Wong. i did a fresh transfer despite quite high follicle count (17 eggs, retrieves 17 all mature) and my e2 levels were very high too. it wasn’t successful. i prefer doing FET, so your body can go back to normal and not be so drugged up. prior to doing with NUH, i went to virtus for consultation, they recommend patients to go for FET’s. this is so their body can “heal”

Today’s update:

We have 1 frozen day 5 blastocyst!
And 2 more still growing which they will monitor till tomorrow. The rest are unlikely to make it.

I am thankful that we have at least 1. My biggest fear is that there is none to freeze.

Does anyone experience bleeding after egg retrieval? Today is 5 days after ER and suddenly when i wiped in the morning there’s bright red blood. Called the clinic and nurse said it could be because of menses coming. But shouldn’t menses be 2 weeks later? She said it could be because of the stopping of injections, that my menses arrive earlier. Usually my menses start with some brown spotting.

And now when i wipe, there are clots. There is also some pain when i press into my right abdominal area.

Anyone has any idea what I should do now?

Does anyone experience bleeding after egg retrieval? Today is 5 days after ER and suddenly when i wiped in the morning there’s bright red blood. Called the clinic and nurse said it could be because of menses coming. But shouldn’t menses be 2 weeks later? She said it could be because of the stopping of injections, that my menses arrive earlier. Usually my menses start with some brown spotting.

And now when i wipe, there are clots. There is also some pain when i press into my right abdominal area.

hi dear, so sorry you’re going through this. it must be so stressful for you, i would call the nurse again and describe exactly what is going especially the clots and the pain, then insist on seeing a doctor ASAP. which hosp are you with again?

Hi Billie, my menses came 6 days after ER too. Had a review with my doc and told him my menses already came and he does not seem surprised. Maybe it is normal. Anyway, I’m happy that menses came early so that I can do my FET slightly earlier. If you are still worried, consult your doc.

Hi Billie. I had my menses 7 days after retrieval. Like you, I was shocked as I thought it should be 2 weeks later. I called to check with the nurses, they said it’s normal due the jabs we took and that will trigger our menses to come earlier. And yes, it’s bright red. It was cramp-less without any pre-menstral symptoms at all. At first, I thought I was spotting but it came full blast.

Hello all

I started my jab on day 2 of my menses. Going for my first scan tomorrow (stim D7) after 6 shots of GonalF and 6 shots of orgalutran. My hb is supposed to clear on 24th, meaning my ER is same as you 27th. Probably can see u at the ward while we r resting :)

Not much side effect except for tiredness, a bit cramp today. I have bruising on my tummy due to my clumsiness on my first self jab.

Good luck all of you who are on 2WW or resting for FET. Baby dust to all of you!

My next scan is on Monday! So excited. I just started Orangultran injections today and that one hurt; my belly is all reddish now.

Do you know if your husband will be waiting for you at the hospital during your ER? Or will he only come pick you up after you’re discharged? Still unsure what to tell my husband to do haha

Hi Billie. I had my menses 7 days after retrieval. Like you, I was shocked as I thought it should be 2 weeks later. I called to check with the nurses, they said it’s normal due the jabs we took and that will trigger our menses to come earlier. And yes, it’s bright red. It was cramp-less without any pre-menstral symptoms at all. At first, I thought I was spotting but it came full blast.

Thank you @Bbbabyluck and @Mellyn !

I feel really embarrassed now :p, to be a 33 yo and freaked out about menses lol! I am one of the fortunate few who always get a prewarning of spotting and never experience pain during menses so this one here took me by surprise. I can’t rely on my past experiences though, because for this one, i actually pumped alot of meds and grew 20 eggs haha

But thank you so much for sharing your exp ;)

My next scan is on Monday! So excited. I just started Orangultran injections today and that one hurt; my belly is all reddish now.

Do you know if your husband will be waiting for you at the hospital during your ER? Or will he only come pick you up after you’re discharged? Still unsure what to tell my husband to do haha

My husband waited in the ward for me. He was away for awhile before I go into the OT because he had to deposit his goods. Afterwards, they let him sit and wait inside the ward.

He can either wait for you at the hospital or he can go out. The nurses will call him once you are done. Good luck and baby dust to you.

Thank you @Bbbabyluck and @Mellyn !

I feel really embarrassed now :p, to be a 33 yo and freaked out about menses lol! I am one of the fortunate few who always get a prewarning of spotting and never experience pain during menses so this one here took me by surprise. I can’t rely on my past experiences though, because for this one, i actually pumped alot of meds and grew 20 eggs haha

But thank you so much for sharing your exp ;)
We all learnt along the way too. Good luck with your transfer!!

Hi everyone, new here.
I just did my egg retrieval at SGH. Total 28 follicles collected. I think consider very high amount but never been ask to go for frozen.

Typically what you all eat after ER?? Hopefully I will get good embryos.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new here.
I just did my egg retrieval at SGH. Total 28 follicles collected. I think consider very high amount but never been ask to go for frozen.

I am going to start my first cycle at sgh this month. Waiting for AF to come now.

Who is ur doc? Mine is dr hema.

How is the entire procedure of egg retrieval at sgh? Was it ok?

Hi everyone, new here.

After my ER, I didn’t had good appetite. But to ease my bloating and mild cramps, drank a lot of water and 100+. It helped.

I am going to start my first cycle at sgh this month. Waiting for AF to come now.

Who is ur doc? Mine is dr hema.

How is the entire procedure of egg retrieval at sgh? Was it ok?

Mine is under Dr Yong. I went into deep sleep, so I don't really feel it. You can feel the nurses expedited to make sure everything is within 36hr from my last jab.
My hubby when in with me to see the whole procedure. What he told me, they put the probe ultrasound in then use a very thin needle to suck.
Dr is very good and explain to him what is on the ultrasound screen.

When finish procedure they will wake u up ensure u r ok, then send u to recovery room to sleep.

Before go home they give me a HCG jab and now need to eat medicine 3times a day to ensure the uterus is ready for egg transfer.

After my ER, I didn’t had good appetite. But to ease my bloating and mild cramps, drank a lot of water and 100+. It helped.
I feel so bloated now. Hard to sit up straight so keep lying down plus must lie side way.

Will drink more water and 100+ hopefully the bloatness can gone soon.

Mine is under Dr Yong. I went into deep sleep, so I don't really feel it. You can feel the nurses expedited to make sure everything is within 36hr from my last jab.
My hubby when in with me to see the whole procedure. What he told me, they put the probe ultrasound in then use a very thin needle to suck.
Dr is very good and explain to him what is on the ultrasound screen.

When finish procedure they will wake u up ensure u r ok, then send u to recovery room to sleep.

Before go home they give me a HCG jab and now need to eat medicine 3times a day to ensure the uterus is ready for egg transfer.
Thank you so much for the sharing.

Today’s wait from the lab is the most nerve wrecking. From yesterday’s update, I already have 1 frozen Day 5 blastocyst, but there are 2 more growing and they want to give it another day. I prayed all day that we get at least 1 more to go.

Lab called at 5.30pm to inform that I have 1 more which made it. Praise God! I am feeling so thankful now. Thanks for all the support and positive vibes here :D

Today’s wait from the lab is the most nerve wrecking. From yesterday’s update, I already have 1 frozen Day 5 blastocyst, but there are 2 more growing and they want to give it another day. I prayed all day that we get at least 1 more to go.

Lab called at 5.30pm to inform that I have 1 more which made it. Praise God! I am feeling so thankful now. Thanks for all the support and positive vibes here :D
Congrats! Happy for u. Let’s Jia you.

Congrats!!
How are you going to transfer in next FET, one by one or two?

I now have to prepare my body for the fet. I am thinking weekly acupuncture, daily eggs and avocados, fish at least every other day and nuts perhaps? Any other suggestion to prep my body?

Back