IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Morning Xinyu,

Did your gynae say what is the normal sperm count & morphology to conceive naturally??

Yes, the TTC project depends very much on God and his intervention....no matter how bad one's fertility status, if God wants us to have children, he will grant our wished......I have one cousin who had to remove one of her tubes due to some disease, but when she got married, she conceive within the 1st year of marriage and now she got 2 kids.....doctor once said that she will never ever to give birth this life time!! But the fact that she has 2 kids means that there will be a miracle for all of us here, if we just believe........

So, are you going to do IVF???? Mind you that there are side effects and really low success rates as you can see from the forum with much effort in terms of money, time and emotions......so got to be prepared for the better or worst when one is in the program.....IVF is no miracle, some people in the forum said.....

Dun think gynae helps as they tend to make one more tense......tense and stress and anxiety does not help in our fertility life.....

I am trying my best to take things easy if baby comes, it is a bonus else then got to be prepared to remain childless....

Cheers!

MK,
The normal morphology is >12%, motility is >50%, density is > 25 million/ml... I can't remember it accurately. You can search the net. It is a standard spec using.

Right now, I am not going to think too much. If think think think, sure will worry a lot and can't get the thing done. I am aware of the side-effect, cost and success rate of IVF. I knew the whole process quite well..hehee.. went through all the forum. I already been through so many tests, scans, injections..etc. Mentally trained. I am ready to go for any treatment..

So, are you taking any treatment now?

Xinyu,

I am not taking any treatment now......

I think too many tests and injections and medications may do more harm than good to our bodies....it can cause our hormones to swing too....

I think that we should have a good health and good state of mind.....then our bodies will be healthy enough to conceive.....babies will only come to mummies who are healthy physically and mentally right!! If one is stressed and drained, how can miracle seed grow and be implanted in our bodies.....so, right now, I am taking a break......it really feels so good without any fertility drugs....

These r my 2 cents' worth of opinion!!!

Cheers!

Xinyu,
Pat Pat
447042.gif
sorry to hear that but pls continue to jia you ok....no matter it's natural TTC or what...u ought to think positive.
happy.gif
MK is right. A positive & healthy body & mind is half the battle!
447043.gif

I'll continue to sprinkle baby dust here, everynow & then
447044.gif
Take good care gal!!
happy.gif
Your dreams will definitely come true one day!
447045.gif

<font color="aa00aa">cherish,</font>
Don't worry, your turn will come soon!
kao_smile2.gif
I were like you in the past. When I heard my frens or relatives pregnant, I'm indeed happy for them. But inside my heart, I was very sad &amp; always asked myself why I don't have.

Maybe what u can do now is drop the 'idea' of TTC. Juz go for short holiday or take a short break. Try not to think too much abt babies, TTC, BBT, how to monitor fertile period, ovulation etc... Juz let it be. And take things slowly. When got the mood, then BD. Who knows like this hor...better right?
happy.gif

Hi Xinyu,

Dun be sad, ok? We know it feels really terrible when u hv tried so hard. Tink u r really upset &amp; stressed over this.

Agree with curious &amp; MK that u should take a break and rest yr mind and body before moving on to the nxt step. Gotta take some time out to love and listen to your body. Then it would be in a better state to carry a baby.

Its friday today. Hoo-ray!!!! Time to wind down...

Have a good weekend!

Am I writing anything that caused you all to think that I am depress??????
Anyway, Thanks all for yr caring.
I am very fine now and feeling good. I think I am quite immune to this situation. Actually, I do not upset and stress out. I did't cry and I feel quite calm. Dun worry about me ladies. I am taking good care of my body and mind all the time. I am ready to go for next step. Wish me ok?

hi pple! Wonder how i could have missed the thread? I did my SO-IUI at KKH around the same time as xinyu... had the HCG shot on tues 30/5 and did my IUI on thursday morning 1/6/06, one day earlier than xinyu. same thing i was the oni gal doing iui that day, so had the whole place to myself. haha.

had the torturous 2 weeks wait.....luckily got some gals from the other thread for PCOS patients...supporting me. Would have popped over this thread the share the whole process too if i knew there was this thread ! I was quite sad and depressed the day my temperature dropped......but the next day AF came, wasn't that bad. now i feel ok liow.
I am taking a break one or two cycles b4 i try IUI or IVF again. Anything i should take note of for IVF? Actually i was advised to convert to IVF cos to many follicles stimuated ...i think 15-16....there there were 5 dominant ones. wasn't mentally prepared and the price quite hefty too.

Hello dawn, welcome to this thread!!!
Wah! you got so many follicles. I only have ONE, so bad.
Are you on protocol I or II?
What was yr dosage of puregon?
Who is your gynae?
Have you see yr gynae for review after yr AF came?

Hi Xinyu,

I understand that you went through your SO-IUI with KKH. Please advise how's the service and how should I go ahead with it. I have been trying to call KKH hotline but couldn't get through.

Thanks!

Hi Xinyu, I think i was on protocol I. Is it the one which we take clomid for 5 days then take injectibles (50 micro ml of puregon )for another 7 to 10 days? Is that the same as yours?
I am under Dr Sheila Loh....but throughout the whole IUI I didn't see her at all....all managed by the nurses and a junior doc. Not very good right? I am going to see my gynae tomorrow to see what she says. Whose your gynae?

You got one dominant follicle also quite good cos can focus all your energy and injectibles on that follicle mah. Mine too many dominant follicles...5 about the same size, between 13mm to 15mm on CD 11. the other 10 or 11 follicles were roughly 9mm to 12mm. They stopped me from taking my injectibles immediately as they were afraid the 5 dominant follicles will all grow to the size of 18mm (mature follicle) by CD 13 which was the day i did my IUI. since they stoppped my injectibles, also got possiblity that the follicles did not reach the matured stage, hence did not release the eggs on the IUI day....therefore I did not succeed in pregnancy. They tried to ask me to convert to IVF since i got so many follicles....but very expensive leh! Heard another gal got about 20 odd follicles...she decided to convert to IVF.

Okie, I am not very happy with KKH 's service...esp the sonographer....so rough during the V-scan.

Okie, you can try call 63941694 KKIVF centre for more information. But the line is quite busy sometime...

Dawn, I on protocol II, without clomid one. Wah! 50iu puregon can stimulate so many eggs... I think i under response to puregon. One follicle not enough lar, chances much much lower. If one follicle, I also can produce my own without medicines.
My gynae is Dr SF Loh. Going to see him next week. What is yr problem? Why you need to go through IUI?
As for the sonographer, I find her ok ler. You must very relax when doing v-scan. If not, you will feel the discomfort. Nurses also very friendly. One complaint is "yr gynae is not the one who do the IUI for you lor".

Okie, the line always busy one...must keep on trying, don't give up.

Xinyu, mine is unexplained infertility lor....TTC more than 2 years liow...hubby's sperm quite ok, my tubes are unblocked....but menses irregular. if take clomid and injectibles sure will ovulate one...but dunno why can't hit jackpot. will try one more cycle of IUI b4 going to IVF.

I was quite relaxed during the VScan leh....had done the scan a few times with a private gynae a year ago...didn't feel pain at all. with the sonographer at KKH....quite bad. Feel that she is quite rough. Yah agree the nurses there quite nice and frenly.
happy.gif
I like them. what will be your next step?

dawn, mine is male factor subfertility. I got pregnant before, 1.5yrs ago. But not growing well, no heartbeat. How many cycle of IUI have u try? How old are you?
My next step... I guess mostly Dr Loh will suggest ICSI. I am preparing my mind for that. One thing that keeps worrring me is I afraid I am not doing well with the puregon. Need a deep talk with Dr Loh in my next visit.
You are seeing gynae today, right? Let me know what yr gynae say, ok?

Hi,

I'm trying for IUI this cycle. Going for next scan tmr (Day 11). My last scan shown that the biggest measure 12mm.. Anyone also trying this cycle?

Xinyu, me 31 now...going to 32 in 3 weeks time...haha. I saw my gynae yesterday, she says the sperms were good this cycle, and i ovulated well cos the progesterone test after ovuation on CD 21 is 105. So at least 2 follicles have released the eggs. She is not sure why din succeed. *sigh* unexplained fertility i suppose.

vox, keep us updated on your development. where are you doing your IUI? on clomid or puregon?

dawn, me also 31 now, going to 32 in 8 weeks time. Can you share yr hubby's sperm analysis info b4 and after washing(volume,density,motility,
normal form...)? Are you going for second IUI next cycle?

Dawn/Xinyu ,just went for a scan today. There are average 4 follicles at 16 - 18mm. Going for HCG injection tomorrow and doing IUI on sat. What is the right size for doing IUI. Btw, I didn't know that HCG injection is needed, what is this for and is it painful or any side effect?

xinyu....haha....so we same age and our birthday so close to each other ah! I can't remember the actual data for the sperm analysis....cos they din give me a copy, they juz showed me when explaining. Did u get a copy from them? I oni remembered his density after the wash was 8million despite the fact he spilled some of this sperm during collection! haha...I was so angry with him for spilling! Anyway, the nurse says as long as above 4million can liow. Yah, I am going to do my 2nd cycle of IUI in August or Sept. If dun succeed, will go and do IVF in december.
happy.gif

Vox, depends on whether u r on clomid or injectibles. If u r on clomid, i read on the net that they usually need a minimum size of 18mm or 20mm b4 they give the HCG injection. If taking injectibles like Puregon, min size is 16mm.

HCG injection is to ensure that the eggs are released from your mature follicles (i.e force the ovulation to occur at a specific time). Usually the ovulation will take place 36 to 40 hours after the injection, so juz nice for the sperm to meet the egg/s.
Erm....I find it very painful,but some gals find it ok. Side effect is.....u will feel the symptoms of pregnant lor....coz HCG is the hormones when u r pregnant mah....so during the 2 week wait to do your pregnancy test, difficult to know if the symptoms u see are due to the HCG shot or reall pregnancy hormones. hee heee.
U got quite alot of mature follicles...so should have quite a good chance leh! Keep us updated!

dawn, yr hubby's sperm density not bad... mine one only 3 million after wash.
sad.gif
Mostly will do ICSI next step..

Vox, congrats.. U got good size and good number of follicles. High chances! To me, HCG jab is painless. Relax hor... wish u a lot of luck.

Xinyu, When will u be doing your ICSI? Is there a price difference between ICSI and normal IVF? By how much?

We must perservere until we get our baby!!!!
happy.gif
That day when i went down to see the gynae, I saw Dr Loh SF's queue moving quite fast...most of his appt quite on time. *Sigh* not like me...waited for almost 3 hrs to see Dr. S Loh.

dawn, have to see Dr Loh first this Wednesday and decide when to do ICSI. I not sure the price difference ler.. will ask later.

Hi, I had my IUI on sat. Rested yesterday and having cramp till today. Do you gals exprience this also. Btw, did your gynae recommend you to BD after IUI?

Hi Vox, yes it is normal to experience cramps the next few days after the IUI. Most gynaes will recommend to BD some more after the IUI to increase the chances of conceptions. but if u have too many follicles like me....i was told not to BD after the IUI. Good luck! How many follicles do u have?

hi all,
so happy when get to know tis thread. i m going to KKIVF tis coming monday to see doctor with regards to SO-IUI as i hav been ttc for 2 yrs still no result. my gynae recommend to do SO-IUI partly due to my pcod/ovulatory disorder and male factor. hav meet up with nurse Sara, a very nice lady. was told to take bloodtest on D2 of menses and HSG b4 see doc. very nervous now, hope all the test is ok. my hubby and i might consider doing the SO-IUI.

xinyu, thanks for updating me! so are u going to with either of the process?

Jolene welcome!
happy.gif
me also TTC for 2 years plus liow ... still trying hard...but work life is too stressful, this month AF haywire again! *sigh*

welcome Jolene!!!

Dawn,
I will go for ICSI next cycle.. You dun too stress hor, must control hor. Jia You!!!

Hi,
juz went to KKH 2day, my result of the 2 test i done is okay but doc asked my hubby to do Sperm enchancement test again and both of us hav to hav bloodtest for HIV and Hep B. then the doc will confirm whether can proceed to do SO-IUI. My hubby kind of moody after hearing tat. tink he too stress.

Jolene, great that yr D2 blood tests all went well. It is a standard protocol for husband to go Semen Analysis before embark to SOIUI bcos the doctor want to make sure yr husband's sperm is good enough for SOIUI. They dun want to waste yr money and time if your husband's sperm is not good. Must ask yr husband to relax. Have you done the HSG?

Xinyu, thanks thanks! you must also jia you ok!
happy.gif
Hope our hard work pays off and prayers will be answered!

jolene, jia you too!

dawn, thks so much.

xinyu, HSG result also no problem. now juz hope the SA no problem then will proceed to do IUI cos my menses will report tis few days.
guess all of us really have to jia you

hi ladies..

anybody knows if anyone who cannot menstrate naturally due to some hormonal disorder has any chance of concieving thru IVF or IUI ?

Hi hopes, are you under any treatment now? Normally, doc will give clomid drug to ppl who can't ovulate naturally/irregular menses. Have you try Clomid b4? Is it worked for you?
Both IVF and IUI using different types of drugs to help woman to stimulate more eggs. As I know, it works on woman that got hormonal disorder, so long that you have eggs in yr ovaries.

hi xinyu..

nope..i haven't gone for any check up yet..
but i have already made an appt to do so at KKH next mth.

i've done a scan before years ago and the gynae told me my ovaries and womb are okay..

i have done some readings and i think i'm suffering from anovulation...

i really hope there is a chance for me to concieve.. i wasn't really worried abt this when i was younger..but now i'm married and my biological clock is ticking... i can't help but worry about my condition..

hopes, who is yr gynae? If you only hv anovulaion problem, i think the doc will give you some clomid to try first. If you want to do a normal IUI, you have to do it outside (other than KKH) bcos KKH only has SOIUI. Did yr hubby do the Semen Analysis already?

hi xinyu..!

is anovulation very common? hmm..i certainly dun think so...coz i dun really know ppl with the same condition as mine..(ie. totally no menses).

oh yah xinyu..

sorry..forgot to answer some or ur questions as well..sorry..hehe..getting old :p

ermm..i dunno who's the gynae yet.. coz i just got a referral from polyclinic.. so, i guess i can't choose the gynae.

how much will the clomid treatment cost do u have any idea..?

seman analysis...hmmm..is it compulsary even if my hubby is normal..?

Hopes, do u know whether u r going to clinic C or clinic D? Clomid is the cheapest fertility drug. If this is yr first time, the doctor may need you to do some blood tests and HSG, and yr hubby needs to do Semen Analysis also. Under subsidiz, the cost is very cheap. How do you know yr hubby is normal without doing semen analysis?

hi xinyu..

i''m going clinic C
happy.gif

actually i'm going to see the gynae with regards to my menstral disorder but at the same time i'm gonna ask about the fertility thingy..

what's HSG?

yah ...quite true.. better test.. never test..never know..

Hi Curious,

Are you still active in this forum? Remember me? I asked a few qtns abt SO-IUI two months ago. I just went for my SO IUI. The insemination process was painful, very crampy and the doctor in charge(a lady) was quite rough with me
sad.gif
Do you feel the same way too? i hope i could be like you, suceeded the first time.

Hi,

I m going for my IUI next week. But I'm still spotting now. Been spotting since my menses maybe due to the lap operation I had last month.
Anyone knows whether the spotting will affect IUI?

Hi Xinyu,
I was on this thread sometime back. I had 3 rounds of IUI at at Thomson Medical before but was unsuccessful. Contemplating to go to KKH. I heard that Dr SF Loh is good. The ones i went through was IUI and KKH offers SO-IUI. I really not sure if the chances will be higher. Can you advise on the costs.thanks

Hi ttakuwan, sorry to hear that u failed 3 times IUI. At KKH, they only have SOIUI, costs ard 1.2k, using puregon injections to stimulate more eggs. The cost is depend on how many stimulation drug you use.The chances will be higher is you have more eggs. So, yr previous IUI at TMC is using what drug? Clomid only? How many eggs you produced each time? If you able to produce more than one egg in yr previous IUI, then the chances in SOIUI is same. Yup, Dr Loh is very famous in IVF. You can go for him, but at KKH, SOIUI is not done by yr own gynae. It is done by doc-on-duty tat day.
May I know what is yr problem? Male factor infertility? You may want to see Dr Loh first.. He will advices you what treatment to go. All the best.

Hi WanBB, not sure whether spotting will affect IUI or not. But it is better for you to seek doctor for yr spotting. It is abnormal to hv spotting for so long.
happy.gif

Hi Hopes,
A HSG(hysterosalpingogram) is an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes which allows visualization of the inside of the uterus and tubes. The picture will reveal any abnormalities of the uterus as well as tubal problems such as blockage and dilation. If sterilization reversal is planned, the point at which the tubes are blocked can be seen. This helps to plan the reconstructive procedure.
If the tubes are not blocked by scar tissue or adhesions, the dye will flow into the abdominal cavity. This is a good sign but it does not guarantee that the tubes will function normally. It does give a rough estimate of the quality of the tubal structure and the status of the tubal lining. Some cases where the tubes appear to be blocked where they join the uterus, may in fact be normal. Often blockage at this location may be due to spasm of the opening from the uterus into the tube or from accumulated debris and mucus blocking the opening. This can be managed by passing a very thin catheter into the fallopian tube either at the time of hysterosalpingogram or during a hysteroscopic procedure.
A hysterosalpingogram may also indicate endometrial polyps, submucus fibroids, intrauterine adhesions (synechia), uterine and vaginal septa uterine cavity abnormalities, or the after-effect of genital tuberculosis. The hysterosalpingogram may or may not be able to detect pelvic adhesions, mild hydrosalpinx, small polyps, endometriosis, tubal phimosis (clubbing of the fimbria at the end of the tube), or immotility of the tube. Other tests, such as hysteroscopy saline sonohysterography or laparoscopy may be necessary to accurately evaluate your uterus.

hi AABaby, my SOIUI also did by a lady doctor. I think her name is Dr Kelly. I find her ok. Is she the one that did yr IUI? Anyway, rest well and wish success this cycle.
Although the purpose of the hysterosalpingogram is not therapeutic, sometimes forcing dye through the tube will dislodge any material which blocks it. A number of women have become pregnant following a hysterosalpingogram without further treatment.

Back