IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Xinyu,
Yes, Dr Loh response quite fast in his emails.

Ya lor...come to think of it, that gynae in-charged that day very smart! As for your question on whether they will proceed if only 4 big follicles? I also don't know leh.... After every scan, u will hv to wait & see gynae on duty. He'll explain to u findings of the scan. Then u can ask him these questions.

Btw, why u don't want to take clomid? U taken it b4?

Curious, the reason i dun want to take clomid because Clomid intake will reduce uterus lining endometrial) thickness of the patient. I do have a not so thick lining ~7mm (borderline). So do not wish reduce further.
Yes, I taken once before. Menses came very little and in dark purple color.

Very worried ler.. no stimulate also worry, over stimulate also worry.

Xinyu,
Yes, some gynaes told me clomid will thin the womb lining & might hinder implantation. However I emailed to Dr Loh last time & told him my worries. He told me protocol 1 shld be ok. So I proceed lor....

curious, do you know yr lining thickness? mayb u have better lining than me, so dr loh said no problem for you to proceed with protocol 1. Do you know any girl in this forum underdone protocol 2?

Xinyu,
Sorry I don't know who else undergone protocol 2. I also don't know the thickness of my lining. I heard that pte gynae actually monitors closely on the thickness of lining during the scan. I brought this up to the KKIVF nurses. The nurse told me lining of womb is not important for SO-IUI. Only IVF then they will monitor the lining. So I juz bo chap & proceed. Everything juz blur blur come & go, did what they instructed me cos diff gynae, diff hospital will hv different practice.

Hi everyone,

Pls enlighten?? What is the difference between clomid and protocol? Are these fertility drugs??

Is Dr Loh Shiela Loh at KKH?

What kinds of altrasound did you all go through?? Is this vaginal altrasound?

What is HSG?

If you all could advise me!!! Actually, I am pretty new to all these terms....

Cheers!

MK,
Yes Dr Sheila Loh is at KKH. Ultrasound to monitor size of follicles are all v-scans.

HSG is a procedure done by putting a dye into the fallopian tube to check if the tubes are blocked or not.

Clomid is a medicine. Protocol is a method.

Hi Xinyu,
I was not asked to take any blood test by my gynae. As for menses, will experience cramps but dun think is v serious. And my menses flow is also very normal, only heavy for the first 2/3 days. But notice for the last 2 mths, my flow is getting lighter and the whole flow only lasted for 3 days. Did ask the Chinese physician and she told me it was due to the clomid I took for the past 2 IUIs. So really dunno whether my pcos and endo are serious or not.

Babaleo, confused. If u didn't take any blood test, how do you know whether u did ovulated or not. Normally before starting IUI/IVF, they will ask us to go through a series of blood tests to make sure our ovaries is functioning.
Yup, Clomid thins our lining. So u will have lighter menses flow. This is the main reason I don't like clomid.

Xinyu, guess i did ovulate and how dr know is probably thru the scans on my day 12/13 and the actual day of iui. he nvr ask me to do any blood test to test for pcos, endo or ovulation, but i know some of the gals seeing the same gynae as me were asked to take blood test for diff reasons. guess diff docs have diff working styles and even for the same doc will perform diff procedures on diff persons. I oso use the ovulation strips (similar to OPK) bought from the JE sinseh.
Ya, think my gynae did mention that we cant take clomid for too many cycles consecutively. after a few cycles, must stop the consumption. think without clomid, i'm oso did ovulate. but for last 2 IUIs, dr wanted to increase the chance so was asked to take clomid.

Hi everyone,

Do you know what is the maximum cycles of clomid does one can take before any side effects result???

I was also not told to do any blood tests for the current IUI that I went through. Are blood tests necessary?

Hi all ladies, not been here for a week, hope everyone is well.

MK, how yr IUI? hope for yr good news.

Curious, where u did yr Hep-B, HIV and Rubella blood test? KKH or polyclinic? For KKH, how long can get the result?

My cycle should end somewhere next week. Going for SO-IUI soon.... wish me a lot of luck.

Babaleo, How are you? When are u going for yr SO-IUI?

Xinyu,

Did not succeed this time round.....

Now, wondering if I should continue another round.......

I am not sure at this stage on how I should proceed....just feeling sad and frustrated.....some things are just beyond our control....

I head that IUI success rates are only less than 10 % or even less than 5%........my doctor is proposing IVF next....

I just went for ops for my endor, then IUI and now what???? I was wondering if my body can take all this stress!!!! I am so fed up!!!!!

Sometimes, I feel like giving up altogether......it is only God who can help all of us.....

Good luck to your SO-IUI....

Xinyu,
Rubella test I did at GP. After getting results, results ok, then I proceed to KKH to do the rest of the blood test. Results will be out very fast...if I didn't forget, juz a few days.

MK, I know how u felt. I went through all these stress and frustration period. Now, I more "see open". Mayb u would like to rest for a while before going to IVF. Or u want to try SO-IUI first? But make sure u r ready (min & body) for the treatment. Relax, ok? The success rate per cycle for...
Normal couple (natural pregnancy): 25%
IUI: 5-10%
SO-IUI:15-20%
IVF: 30-35%

So, there is nothing 100%. It is all by luck.

curious, I think i will do all the blood tests at GP. It is much cheaper... KKH very expensive. I jus call SATA Woodlands Clinic. Their blood tests are quite cheap.
Hep-B: $6
HIV: $9
Rubella: $21

So, on 2nd day of menses, what i need to do is go KKH and bring along all the blood tests results, right? Or I have to pass to them early?

Hi Xinyu,

Wish u all the best in ur SO-IUI!

Me not feeling very good now as just broke down. Very stress wif work and are given additional task of work to do. Have been looking fwd to go bk to my gynae to do SO-IUI in Jul, but was just assigned a big project in work today with target completion date in end Jul. Feel very down as guess my plan is again may have to put on hold again, as knowing myself, i will be super stress for this period of time. And end up i may b wasting the $2k spent on SO-IUI. dunwan to waste time yet still got to be held back by all these obstacles. Really feel like resigning work, but will need the $ to fund all these treatments. Besides dealing with the failures in ttc, still got to handle the failures at work
sad.gif

Xinyu,
SATA charges so much cheaper? Hv u checked if it's the same blood test? KKIVF charges blood test for couples abt $100+ (can't remember the exact amt).

It's advisable to test for Rubella 1st. Cos according to KKIVF, the Hep B & HIV blood test results are valid for only 6 mths. If no antibody for Rubella, gotta go for vaccination. Then hv to abstain fr getting pregnant for 3 mths (I think). So if that's the case, the Hep B & HIV result will be expired in another 3 mths time. This is what the nurses told me.

Btw, why u said that 2nd day of AF, u bring all blood test results? I don't think so leh....btw, which stage are u at now?

KKIVF must hv a copy of the blood test results b4 they start the SO-IUI programme. They'll check thro all your results & ensure all negative, then they'll tell u to call them on 1st day of your AF. You'll be told what to do next, eg. when to go down to buy your medicine & learn how to jab puregon etc.

curious,
Yes, they are all same blood tests as KK. SATA is much much cheaper than KK. I think Polyclinic is the cheapest, but have to wait 14days for the result. As for SATA, 2days can get the results already.
Last night, just found my Health Screening Report which I did it 2.5yrs ago. So can save the $21...only need to do the HIV and hep-B.
The KKIVF's nurse told me a lot of things. I can't remember whether I should bring all my blood tests result to them early or on 2nd day of AF. Will call them later to clarify.

Babaleo, what type of job r u doing? Dun be too stress hor. Hope u can strike within these 2 months. Then no need to go for SO-IUI...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and I like to ask you gals about the SO-IUI. May I know how much does your gynae charge for this procedure?

I have been ttc for 2 years now. Took 3 cycles of clomid this year but no good news. Sigh... My gynae recommended me to try for another 2 cycles of clomid and if this doesn't help, I would need to consider to go to the SO-IUI phase.

Would appreciate any advices. Thank you!

cherish,
did u try normal IUI when u took clomid?

i spent abt $900+, not more than $1K, for the entire SO-IUI procedure (incl. initial blood test, scan, medicine etc).

Curious,

Thanks for ur reply.
happy.gif

I didn't try the normal IUI when i took clomid. Just clomid only. My gynae told me the fees will be around 1.2K to 1.5K for the SO-IUI procedure. It does not included the initial blood test as I think I had done it earlier. I was told that I would need to have injections for 8 consecutive days and each injection will cost abt $80.

I was super sianz when the gynae was telling me and my hubby abt all these. Sometimes, I really wonder if i can become pregnant one day...this dream seems so far from me...

cherish,
pls don't feel sian yet....your dream will definitely come true!!! To me, it's ok to go thro all the assisted procedure to conceive. It's better than we continue to TTC for years & waste time. All the best!!
happy.gif

Curious,
Wow! your response is super fast... Thank you for your kind words. I appreciated that.

I probably will continue another 2 cycles of clomid and see how things goes. Btw, can SO-IUI done in private clinic? If I remembered correctly, yours was done in KKH right?

cherish, can share with us what is yr problem? male/female infertility factor? Which gynae r u seeing? Which hospital? My gynae also told me the fees around 1.5k.

Curious, do you still remember the cost of the puregon jab? I think u have a cheaper cost because u response quite well to the puregon and no need many injection.

Xinyu,
Yup, you're right. I didn't require many jabs that's why cheaper. Puregon medicine, 1 cartridge abt $200 plus. I need to go home check the invoice to give u the exact amt. Pte hospital sells it much expensive. My fren bought puregon fr her pte gynae, cost abt $300-400 per cartridge.

cherish,
do u mind if I ask u some questions? did your gynae find out what's the actual problem for not able to conceive thro' clomid? has he checked your tubes, womb & your hubby etc? sometimes it could be any1 of the factors which hinder conception. but once u settle & solve the problem, then go for SO-IUI, chances will be much higher.
happy.gif

SO-IUI can be done in pte clinic? U mean at GP clinic? Well u gotta ask your gynae. Yes I did mine at KKIVF. If I'm not wrong, pte hospital can do, provided your gynae does it.

Xinyu/curious,

I went thru 2 blood tests to check if I ovaluated and the other test, I can't remember what it was. My hubby went for SA and it passed. The gynae also checked my wombs by scanning and it seems everything is okay. The last test I went was HSG...check with the tubes are blocked or not. Actually, gynae said if I really want to have a confirm answer if my tubes are blocked or not, a surgery is required. But he doesn't recommended this as he think HSG is good enough for me at this moment.

I'm not seeing any gynae in hospitals yet. So far, I went to the private clinic near yishun area. I used to go there for pap smear test and happened that the gynae was asking me if i was planning for kids. If after trying more than a year still no result, can visit him to see how he can help us. That's why I went back to him after trying for 2 years.

I'm not sure but my gynae said the SO-IUI can be carried out in his clinic but not IVF. IVF needs to be done in hospitals. Spent quite a lot consulting and going thru all these tests..

cherish, I dun know Yishun got such clinic. What is the name of the clinic and the name of the doc? I believe the clinic ables to do IUI, but not sperm washing.
Look like you and yr hubby have no serious problem
happy.gif

cherish,
exactly....how are they going to 'wash' the sperm? there is lab in the clinic? do double-check with your gynae again.

curious/xinyu,

Thank you for the advices. I will double check with my gynae again.
happy.gif

xinyu, it seems like we don't have serious problem but don't know why, still unable to conceive. Don't know why ppl around me seems to get pregnant soo easily...Are you going to do the SO-IUI?

cherish, yes. Going for my first SO-IUI soon. Mostly next week...
How u predict yr ovulation day? Using OPK/BBT? Mayb is the timing problem...Did u work hard to cover yr whole entire fertile period? Do u have a regular menses? Any cramp/pain?

Morning all ladies......

Curious, how many jabs for one cartridge? On 2nd day of menses, when I go to KK, what are the things that I have to pay? Have to prepare my pocket..

Xinyu,
It depends on the dosage which gynae asks u to jab. For my case, I bought 1 cartridge cos my dosage was the minimum, ie. 50iu daily. I jabbed for 5 days, still got remainder. I didn't read the puregon box clearly. If I'm not wrong, each cartridge contains abt 300-400iu.

On 2nd day of menses when u go down KKIVF to buy medicine, u hv to standby a few hundreds. Cos puregon 1 cartridge abt $205.75 already. U can use credit card to settle the bill 1st.

Xinyu,

All the best for you!

I have regular menses but I always need to take surflex(think i spelt wrongly) for the first 2 days. If don't take, the pain is soo unbearable that I would cry.

May I ask who is your gynae? Thanks.

cherish, Thank you!
My gynae is Dr SF Loh same as curious. You have so painful menses. Is it very heavy flow? Did you tell yr gynae? My own opinion, menses able to tell you whether you got problem or not. If have serious cramp/pain, or too heavy flow, or too light flow, or have spotting 4/5 days before
menses, you must seek a doctor.

What is the address of yr gynae's clinic at Yishun? seeing which doctor?

curious, tat means u still have some puregon left over... Just went to do my blood tests(HIV, Hep-B and syphillis) at SATA Wondlands. Total cost is $23/person. Cheaper than KK 50%. Save the money for my SO-IUI.. But hope my menses not coming, then no need to do and really can save a lot.

xinyu,
yes, I still hv some puregon left, I left it in the fridge but didn't go & check how much left.

Good luck to u!!

curious, thanks.
AF just came this morning. I am going for SO-IUI!!! Pray hard that I respond well to puregon, pray hard that I dun ovulate on Sunday, pray hard for a smooth smooth process, pray hard my hubby's sperms are good, pray hard for..... A lot of thing in my mind.

Xinyu

Can I ask what is AF? I am green in this area!

When do you have to start SO_IUI, which day from start of menses? Is SO_IUI less invasive and painful from IVF?

Good luck! and lots of baby dust for you!!

Stay positive!! I know that it is a difficult thing to do especially that there are so many worries and obstacles....

What does puregon do to one's body? Does it stimulate the production of eggs or force ovulation? Anyone know here?

Hi MK, long time u didn't show up. How are you? AF is Aunty Flow(menses).
KKH have two protocols for SO-IUI. Protocol 1 is with clomid + puregon and Protocol 2 only with puregon.

Protocol 1: Day 3-7 on Clomid, Day 5 onwards on puregon injections. Start monitoring on Day 10 onwards with ultrasound scan.
Protocol 2: Day 2 onwards on puregon injections. Start monitoring on Day 7 onwards with ultrasound scan.
The dosage of puregon required vary from patient to patient. The doctor will adjust the dosage during the cycles.
Puregon is the brand name. It is a Follitropin beta, a synthetic form of the naturally-occurring follicle stimulating hormone produced by recombinant DNA technology using Chinese hamster ovary cells. Follicle stimulating hormone is involved in the production and release of eggs from the ovary.

SO-IUI should be less painful, I think. All depend on how well your body respond to the medicines.

Are you going for another IUI? Or other options? May i ask, how old are you? I am 31 this year.

Curious, thanks for yr baby dusts..Keep all in my bag liao.

Curious, did you and your hubby eat anything special during SOIUI? How do you know when is the time yr hubby need to empty his sperm bank and keep 2/3 days for IUI?

xinyu,
nope, we didn't eat anything special at all. everything as per normal. oh my hubby nvr empty his sperm bank & keep 2/3 days for IUI. when it's time to produce, he juz went KKIVF & produce there.

Xinyu,

I am older than you.....so, you still have longer time to try.....

My biological clock is ticking by the mths and I supposed worry does not help.....

My gynae is monitoring my monthly ovulation cycle, with taking one clomid for 5 days....I am not sure if he is going to recommend IUI.....

When are you going for SO-IUI? Heard the success rates are higher than IUI??

So, are you going for Protocol 2? I think injections for 5 days?? How many times a day?

I am trying not to think too much of TTC.....I dun think that it will help in my spirits and moods......

The journey to motherhood is rather long....but all must be patient and hope for the best!!

Have faith and you will make it....

Cheers!

curiour & MK, I just came back from KKH. Purchased the puregon and have my first injection there. It is not painful. The needle is so tiny. Haven't start doing anything yet, but have to pay ~S$600 liao.
Puregon(400 IU): S$205.75
Doc review + ultrasound package: S$285.80
First injection: S$6.8
Registration & Counselling: S$89.5
Going to have my first ultrasound next Tuesday. Pray Pray my egg grow well...

Curious, remember always shower me with yr baby dust.... I need a lot a lot...

MK, the success rate for SOIUI should be higher than IUI because it stimulates more eggs. I am taking protocol 2 because I dun want to take clomid. It will thins my uterine lining. I will take 5 jabs first(one per day) then have a ultrasound scan to see the progress. Wish ME GOOD LUCK... As for you, dun stress ok? There is a gynae, he said "Stress will not cause infertility. It is the infertility caused stress." Very true, right?

Back