I will never become my mum.

mooji

Not that i hate her. But how she is being treated (or should i say bullied?) by everyone in her family. Born in 1960, she was raised during the conservative Asia country era that women are inferior than men, they have to be "obedient" housewife to their husband, primary goal is to stay home, give birth to many descendants and take care of their children till they are old.

I am born in 1993. Millennial, as you all called. My generation is very self-cantered. We focus on what we want, what we do, what we believe. We 1 want to be one of a kind, respected, yet pretentiously trying to make a good living.

Till now, i still have so many strong opposite views from my mum and often, flaring up at her for so many petite things in life. But one thing i could not stand, how she gave up her ego so easily, just to keep the family together. Though she stopped school at age 12, she worked hard. My mum got married to my dad in her 20s and brought me to this world in her 30s.

My parents are not the best but gratefully not the worst. I was brought up well, with enough food and education to not worry about. They are responsible parents, but not as husband and wife. My dad has been working to support the monetary burden for the family, and my mum, a housewife, to support the emotional burden for her husband and kids.

Dad has always been a womanizer and never been a faithful husband to mum, i have witnessed some of the mistresses came knocking our door. Mum and dad have many disagreements but they have never file a divorce. For so long, dad paid all household bills, gave mum a marginal sum of monthly allowance, but never been seen at home very often.

Maybe 2-3 times every month i will see my dad at home. Otherwise, he will always come up with excuses that he is travelling for work, too busy to come back home and blah bl"ah blah. I will be honest, he never loved my mum or treated her emotionally well. Mum knows he has affairs, but kept quiet. And closed her eyes to it.
Mum endured many hardships but she never once give up on her kids and leave her husband. She treats dad well, though clearly being mistreated as a servant rather than a wife. I caught her crying in tears so many times, and always secretly alone. She continued to stay with a husband who dont love her back. She gave her time, effort, love and everything.

Her love was not reciprocated to the man of her life.

I am thankful to have a dad, but never respected him for being a husband. I hated him for being a bad role model to treat his wife, i blame him for my trust issues with human. As for my mum, i am grateful for everything she has given up for us. She loves us unconditionally despite sacrificing so much for the family.

I learnt from my mum and will never be like her.

I will love myself more.

Back