Housing Matters in a Divorce - Complicated

qsg

Hi all,

Would appreciate if you can share your experience and advice.

I have just gone through a long drawn divorce that took 3 years but the pain is still not over as I have dealing with a extremely shameless adulterer and beastly person who doesn't care less about the children. He kept giving problems of all sorts.

According to the Court Order, the matrimonial private property which I am still residing with my 2 children now needs to be sold by early Oct this year.

I have actually got in touch with one property agent to market the property but he is saying he wants to appoint his own agents and not one but 2 agents (he wants control of the sale process and the place sold asap to get the money to buy a private property with the adulteress ) ! I have been very stressed as we face the possibility of being made homeless. I am trying to get a resale HDB since I can't afford to keep the current apartment but it seems there isn't much listings in the area I am current staying which his also near my mum who is helping to look after my children. I am worried because till now I haven't managed to find a HDB flat and after finding it will take 3 months to complete transaction and say 1 month to renovate as will be at least 15 years old flat. So I am afraid with his 2 agents the chances of getting a buyer would even be faster and we may not have a place ready to move in when the sale transaction of my current place is completed.

More shockingly, I just realised recently that I can't even afford a resale flat before I sell the current property, was told by banker the flat will be considered 2nd property and can only loan max 50% and have to pay additional stamp duty of 7% too on top of the basic stamp duty. Was told after taking consideration current mortgage loan the matrimonial property I can only loan 160K max so there is no way I have enough cash and money to secure a flat now :(

Its already very sad we have to give up the current home and a nightmare to shift since I singlehandedly have to handle the shift so am trying to avoid having to rent a place shift first then shift again to the permanent home. Very disruptive to the children who already have been impacted badly by the divorce and the beast's behaviour. It doesn't help I have been very busy at work that I am not spending enough time with children and have received numerous complaints from teachers in school or behavioural or performance issues.

1)Has any one faced similar situations of possibility of being made homeless? How did you address the situations? any advice?

2)Is it common for both parties in a divorce to appoint their own agents? How many conveyance lawyers will there be? If there are 2 conveyance lawyers one from each party, how to decide which lawyer will hold the proceeds of the sale?

3)If there is more than one agent to market the property, isn't the interest of the sellers by easily compromised since in order to secure the deal rather than no deal one agent will be offering at a lower price than the other? Now that agent knows is not going to be exclusive he is disinterested as he felt that the beast may give preferential treatment to his agent by reject his offer and that its not fair to him that he spent time and money to market yet may not get the deal. This is the agent who is helping to look for a resale and I can sense he is already not very on the ball to keep a look out already and now if he can't get exclusive rights for the sale of the property he may be even more disinterested to help me look for a resale which is urgent.

4)any idea if any implications for buying of resale flat can I have more than one agent to look for me? any implications? Need to inform each agent they are not the sole agent?

:(

Qsg:
Bear with it. There is no perfect solution to many things.
Get a rental first, the house to be sold is already a fact. Find a place to stay put.
Then take one step a time to see. The stress and inconvenience will always be there, but that's part and parcel of life.

Blessings xoxo

Hi qsg,

I agree with paranomic, for your case, most probably you are looking for rental as a short term solution before moving to a fixed destination. Also, some factors you may need to consider is how financially independent you are currently, amount of alimony and finally, your expected total budget to get a flat. now that the market is slightly falling, 30 year old flats may fetch a better price (thou the distance from your mum is a consideration)

Good luck

More shockingly, I just realised recently that I can't even afford a resale flat before I sell the current property, was told by banker the flat will be considered 2nd property and can only loan max 50% and have to pay additional stamp duty of 7% too on top of the basic stamp duty. Was told after taking consideration current mortgage loan the matrimonial property I can only loan 160K max so there is no way I have enough cash and money to secure a flat now :(

Its already very sad we have to give up the current home and a nightmare to shift since I singlehandedly have to handle the shift so am trying to avoid having to rent a place shift first then shift again to the permanent home. Very disruptive to the children who already have been impacted badly by the divorce and the beast's behaviour. It doesn't help I have been very busy at work that I am not spending enough time with children and have received numerous complaints from teachers in school or behavioural or performance issues.
90pxe8.jpg

hi qsg,

can u move in w your mum for a short while? coz rental might be expensive too. sounds hectic and stressful for you, and maybe living with mum might lessen the load on you. my friend was homeless for a while after she had to sell her house after 1 yr of marriage (under 5 yrs must sell) n she lived on the beach. she got a referral to a shelter from the MSW at KK.

not sure about agents for resale flats, sry.

Back