Cooking Tips & Recipe

Hi Huskie,

Do you know if Huggies is extending the promotion? Also feedback on how the Vtech works and if it's fun for the kids - thanks
happy.gif

I am scared of clams too. The live scallops I bought from Shengsiong kept snapping at me! http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2010/11/food-white-jade-clam.html I like scallops only. Not clams, oysters, mussels 'cos of the taste/look.

Talk about price differences between supermarts. The bamboo clams at NTUC are a whopping S$39.90 a kilo while it's S$7.90 at SS. Same for white jade clams. S$5.90 a kilo at SS and S$11.90 at NTUC. Looks the same to me!

Hello ladies,
How was your weekend?

My Fri afternoon with dh was nice. Finally had an afternoon to ourselves.
Had lunch at The Whole Earth Vegetarian Restaurant which was a disappointment. Food was very oily and pretty expensive at $80+ for 2 pax. We only ordered a wolfberry soup, 2 lemoongrass drinks, olive rice, broccoli and penang rendang. The items we ordered didn't have much gluten - mostly use monkeyhead mushroom, but we were so full just halfway through the meal... must be the oil!

Also bought a roast duck (supposedly to be quite famous) from Queen Street since I was in that area. MIL and bro-in-law all think it's very good. Had some leftover so on Sat, made braised duck with carrots, mushroom and tou bao. Wanted to use sea cucumber, but couldn't find frozen ones. Then Hock Hua auntie told me dried ones must be soaked for 2 days before I can cook them! Decided to skip sea cucumber.

mumusings,
I'm not sure if Huggies is extending promo. As for feedback on Vtech toy, it works like the Leapfrog Touch and Learn (I think it's called that). Although it says it's for 12+M, ds at 1.5yo doesn't seem too keen on on it. 4yo dd seems more keen to play with it since her Leapfrog died.

cookie,
How was your bakes over the weekend? Any pics?

LittleCat,
Are you feeling better? Did your cold get full-blown?

Hi Huskie,

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if it works to inspire kids 'cos I don't want to put all my pink stamps to one item and my son ends up bashing it about.

Hi All,

Someone sent me a link about a cruise organised by the Singapore Planned Parenthood Association this Saturday. Will just post the link here in case anyone's interested. Wouldn't mind going for fun but no one's free to babysit...

http://www.sppa.org.sg/docs/love%20cruise%20final.pdf
http://www.sppa.org.sg/

oh yes, my ds bashes it around :p

I think for practicality sake, the 12 stamps deal is better. Tell you the truth, I didn't know that station gives 2 med packs of pull-up pants and a large pack of diaper. I thought it was 2 pcs and 1 pc respectively. So went for the Vtech, till that day after redeeming, I saw a lady carry a big bag for that station!

Will try and collect for Station 3 next.

Hi Huskie,

What a waste!!! I thought most people might not get the whole idea of the Station 3 gifts and put up details in one of my post. Really worthwhile deal. Gave away all the sunhats. Other things all very relevant. 2 full-pack wetwipes, swimpants 4, FULL pack L-diapers and 2 small packs pants (12x2).

My son's into dismantling things and pushing vehicles about. Any more wheels and I will be in danger of traffic 'accident' at home
sad.gif

Here are the details in print about the cruise which I forgot to paste for clearer reading:

Date: 9 Apr 2011
Time: 6 - 9pm
Venue: Marina South Pier
Fee: $150/Couple OR $80/Pax (Includes 10 course buffet dinner & the following onsite pampering treats)

Onsite Pampering Privileges!

FREE! "Spin-D-Wheel" Sure-Win Game
The attendees are entitled to spin our sure-win Wheel to receive some gifts in-kind
from TOUCHE™ Our prizes include wellness spa treatments and product samples.

FREE! Silky Strawberry Hand Treatment worth $60
Enjoy a session of Silky Strawberry Hand Treatment, which includes a nourishing
Indulgence of our vitamin E enriched hand paraffin treatment. Silky Strawberry Hand
Treatment eases tired hands, moisturizes the skin and it provides an effective relief
of mild joints ache. Revive your hands for a blissful soft and silky touch.

FREE! Body Mass Index (BMI Wellness Analysis)
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person’s weight and height to
provide an indicator of individual’s health status. It will reveal if there is an overweight/
underweight concern that may lead to health problems.

With align to the above onsite privileges; there will be exclusive trial offer on skin and body treatments for your esteemed attendee’s enjoyment! Goodie Bags : Complimentary 50 treatment vouchers worth $170 from TOUCHE™ as well as a free couple game set worth $50.
Lucky Draw : 1 TCM Authentic GUASA Radiant Skin Treatment worth $280 each to your lucky winners from TOUCHE™.

If interested, please call: 6775 8981 or email: [email protected]

Check out the details at: http://www.sppa.org.sg/docs/love%20cruise%20final.pdf Main site: http://www.sppa.org.sg/

yo! how's everyone?

mumusings, no no.. i am definitely no baking expert.
am the part time baker. only cook/bake during weekends.
heee.. there are many other real experts here though.

huskie,
nice to pak tor with the husband once in a while.
agree with u the food at whole earth very oily and quite expensive. and its quite crowded during lunch.
the fluffy pancake recipe is a winner! made 2x the recipe and hardly enough for 3adult and 2 children.
its really yummy!
hee.. i did not take any photos.
the blur me remembered to buy sausages, wholemeal flour but forgotten bread flour and could not bake piggy in blanket.
so baked mango chiffon cake and butter cake instead.
i baked the chiffon cake in 21cm chiffon tube pan in my little 19litres table top oven.
i got the chiffon pan fm sun lik and they told me if oven small the heating will not be good. so will not be able to get nice chiffon cake. but i still went ahead.
maybe am not fussy, so far think the chiffon cake pretty okie.

cookie,
Glad your family enjoyed the pancakes. This recipe is the best I have come across, and once you're hooked on it, you'll find that beating the egg whites separately is all worth it
happy.gif

This lady also makes fantastic macarons! I'd love to try making some, but don't have a decent oven... and I wonder if I do get a tabletop one, if it'll do the job of baking macarons.

Which tabletop oven are you using now?
I haven't sourced around for any yet, but my mum got her Cornell for only $59 although it's a bit small I think. I am wondering if I should just get a cheap Toyomi tabletop oven with rotisserie function.

Ladies,
What are you cooking tonight?
I'm making a one-pot meal - cordyceps chicken soup since we've all just recovered from cold/flu.

Hi ladies,

Anyone been to Langkawi? And hotel to recommend?

Joy,
My son is doing quite ok in sch. His chinese is getting better. Recently got a private tutor teaching him chinese. She's from China. Everytime I see her she look v sleepy. I was out last week and monitor my son thru monitoring camera and notice the tutor resting on my cupboard. cant see her face so was wondering is she sleeping or teaching haiz...

HoW's your dd coping in sch?

Huskie,
Nice pancakes, I love the look of strawberries but some how dont like the taste, maybe sour?!

Your cordyceps chicken soup sounds good and healthy, prices of cordyceps has went up alot ah

Littlecat,
wah....hotdogs bun...my boys favourite. One day got to learn from you.

Hi cookies,
how are u? still staying at the same place?

Hello mumusings,
Welcome!

Im cooking ngohiong, stir fried veg and chicken soup with scallops for dinner.

Hi Annlee,

Glad to know your ds is enjoying school.Thanks, dd also enjoys school this year tho its taking psle this year.She is coping fine, thanks

I guess u have to monitor this tutor closely.Is she charging you alot?

Not cooking today cos I just got my hair rebonded today.

Have a good day all.

cheers
Joy

Hi Ann,

Thanks! Sounds like a scrumptious dinner you had! Too lazy for the past week to cook. Redeemed free pizzas from the bags of Doritos/FritoLays chips we had over the past weeks
happy.gif
In the mood for all sorts of junk food, including instant noodles.

annlee,
The cordyceps chicken is not the dried cordyceps you buy frommedical hall. I bought the chicken which apparently eats cordyceps (probably cultured ones) from NTUC. One chicken is about $16.80 and comes with a pack of herbs to cook into soup.

I split the chicken into 2 and freezed the other half though, cos it's just me and 2 kids eating today.

Korean strawberries are not as sour as the US ones. And nice with whipped cream. I'm the kind who wouldn't eat strawberries by itself too.

Woah, you've really got energy to cook ngoh hiang!

Joy,

Oh your dd is having psle this yr. Must be stressful for u and her. Hope you can relax and your dd doing well!
The tutor charging $35/per hr. Any idea is it reasonable?
Your rebonding u prefer those body or flat type?

mumusings,
Those are my fav chips too...which brand of instant noodle u normally buy?

huskie,
Didnt see the chicken before. Maybe my side NTUC is small and they dont carry it. But I saw pre-packed Sakura chicken in herbs? Cant remember... at City sq mall NTUC.

No la...me alone a little lazy to prepare the food. Told my DH to chop here n there, marinate the meat to make ngohiang. And she do the frying part too hee...

Tonight dinner is simple.
Making some ikan bilis stock to go where yong tau fu and vegs. One pot dish.

annlee
Thanks alot for the well wishes.

I think the rate is ok, but there again, also must observe how good is the imparting skill,I know my gf hired one, current school teacher, polish up her girl compre skill pretty fast.Not making her to do all, but pick selective question to test her skill.

Rebonding
I went to the hse salon.I went there at 6.30am and completed by 9.30am, just in time to prepare and send ds to school, also when dd is in school.Or else, how to find time.

Stay at home mum also needs to look neat right?

Went to buy two dresses while waiting for ds and dd yesterday...shopping spree...heeee

Have a great day...

cheers
Joy

annlee,
Yep, cordyceps chicken is produced by same comepany that produce sakura chicken. Looks like this (scroll down to item 2)
http://www.keesong.com/products-premium.asp

Rebonding: is there body and flat ones? I must be really suaku. Only did it once in my lifetime and all I remembered was I was so bored sitting there waiting for the whole process to finish. But the end result is nice... hair never tangles anymore
happy.gif

Joy,
I hardly have mood to go shopping anymore... everywhere is so crowded. Have resorted to shopping online
happy.gif
Have yet to receive some items I ordered so don't know if quality is good.
What kind of dresses did you buy?

dd is always asking me to send her to school in the morning and will ask me to wear my nice dress. haha i think she sees the other mommies sending their kids to school wearing nice working clothes, then her own mummy always in shorts/capris cos cannot wake up in the mornings :p

Today not cooking - going to my mum's place for dinner
happy.gif

Joy,
haha ya ya...sahm also must look neat, agreed with u. I must rebond my hair too as I got natural curl and look real messy if not done.

Where do u get ur dresses? If not wrong shd be parkway parade right..cos nearest to sch.

huskie,
hmmm not bad ah...the chicken is simple to do. My place really got limited stuff.

About rebonding, theres body n flat but nowadays ppl go for body type unless got thick bouncy hair that need to rebond flat.
I will definitely go for body type as I got really fine hair.

Annlee, Huskie,

Hi there, just brought dd back from school.Take a break and going to pick up ds in a while.so here is my reply.

Dress
I love wearing sphagheti dress or halter neck, this two dress i bought, quite fitting, dont have to do alternation.Got it from parkway pur pur, cheap and good.

Rebonding.
I like my hair really flat.Cos i have thick hair.Natural curl near the roots.So, every half a year, got to tame it once.

cheers

Hi Annlee,

I like a couple of brands but don't know how to translate the words. See the pics here...

http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2010/01/home-mumusings-15-healthy-instant.html

Nissin has improved (now made in Singapore) - some time ago the noodles were rancid. Don't like Koka and Maggi much. The HK and Korean ones are not bad.

As for chips.... Marks and Spencers beat all. Nothing can be better than their crinkles. Been eating them since I was a teenager and they taste as good as ever. USA chips like Frito - only buy when there's a good reason like free pizza. Otherwise, I don't eat chips much these days for health reason
happy.gif
When I am mad, I can be eating 4 packs a day so better stay far far away from Marks and Spencer!

mumusings,
I've seen a "big" fish in the squid too but luckily my mom was handling the squid then. Given me, I think I'll prob freak out.

Choc,
You know what? These 2 banana cake recipes are still sitting in my Favourites, shortlisted them but whenever I have over-riped bananas, I'm too lazy to turn on the computer to try new recipes, so always end up using the same old recipe.

Washing powder?! I'll be jumping mad if any of my kids played with that! It must have been tough on you, so much cleaning up.

zzzcookiemonster,
Thanks for trying out the recipes in my blog. Good to know they worked for you. I've not used the donut pan for a while but so far so good, based on the last usage, probably 6 months ago, it is still good, doesn't stick.

huskie,
I'm using tabletop oven, cheap and good.

Macarons,
I've tried on hands on this thrice but failed miserably. Still got alot of frozen egg whites in my freezer will definitely try it again even though I don't like eating them, way too sweet.

I miss wearing dresses.. I'm not a girly person but somehow still miss those working days when I dressed up. Now still nursing, want to wear dress also difficult.

Hi Reena,

You're right about the freaking out. After the 'find', I've been off-squid and have not much appetite... hahaha... psychological I guess.

Greetings to all mama and papa from Sydney.We have been inundated with requests for confinement food recipes since someone posted the URL of my blog in this forum. Well, since we are unable to reply all the emails, we will try to start a collection of "confinement food recipe" traditionally tested by the past generations in our blog soon. Beside the homemade chicken essence, there is ang chew (red rice wine) in the blog. See recipe here
http://unclephilipsg.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Aunty Jo & Uncle Phil

Reena,
Can you tell me which tabletop oven you are using?
I saw the TR-something 34L Toyomi one at NTUC today - $155.
Seems like quite a good buy from this blog: http://drastic-measures.blogspot.com/2008/05/little-oven-that-could.html

I'm not a big fan of macarons either, but am wondering if I can make a less sweet version for kids and hubby who like them.

I am also not a very feminine girl haha, but I also miss dressing up. Also still nursing, so always wearing T-shirts and shorts/skirts.
Also wondering if I should go back to work when it's time for #2 to go to C-O, but also wondering whether to have #3 :p

musings,
I'm not really into chips and snacks, but I do vaguely remember that M&S has very nice crisps
happy.gif

Joy,
I've seen so many clothes from Pur Pur in the Jurong Pt newsletter - their clothes are quite nice but I just never got the chance to go there. Plus Jurong Pt is sooooo big, I always lose my way in that mall! Must really find this Pur Pur shop one day
happy.gif

Meanwhile I may attempt to sew something myself once I am done with projects for my kids.

What are you ladies cooking tonight?
I am just doing a simple fishball soup - then MIL coming over to help me watch kids while me and hubby go attend a talk
happy.gif
Anoter 2 hours of couple time, yay!

mumusings,
I'm lucky MIL is staying nearby and she's helping me to buy fish/seafood so she will clean it for me before passing the stuff to me
happy.gif

Huskie,
I've listed the model in my blog, top right corner. Brand: Tecno, Model: TEO 3400. If I rem correctly, it is a 42 litres oven. I used to own a Sharp 3-in-1 but the baking function died. Called the service centre and the first question they asked was, do you bake alot? Apparently, 3-in-1 is not good for frequent baking. But I wasn't even baking a lot, prob once or twice a month. Anyway, I bought this Tecno tabletop and I'm happy with it, comes with built-in fan so the bakes are quite evenly browned. For cookies, I still turn the tray halfway through baking but for cakes, I just leave it as it is. So far all my cakes are alright. Retail price was $229 (I think) but I bought mine from Harvey Norman @ $129
happy.gif
If you have budget constraint, I guess this works well for you. However, it is huge as it is a 42 litres. But I appreciate it when I bake cookies, 1 recipe requires 2 trays (11" x 14") of baking which is a breeze.

Huskie
We had fishball soup for lunch, cooked it with mee hoon kueh, kids love it. Dinner not cooking as need to fetch DD1 from school later and DH is overseas.

Dressing up
I know what you mean. Now as housewife, hardly have time to doll up. Even going out as a family, I don't. Even during working days, I don't. Only dress up when there's important function/meeting :p But now, kind of miss it, you know, just a moment of desire, to doll up and look pretty.

Breastfeeding,
How old is your #2? I love breastfeeding, think I'm addicted. Hahahaha!

Reena,
Now that you mentioned the oven model on your web, I do remember seeing it, but I thought it was a built-in oven cos I thought Tecno only sells built-in types. I suspect I don't have the tabletop space for a 42L though.

Actually I think any oven is not good for anyone who do not bake often enough. My friend who doesn't bake much tried to use her oven, and it just trips the power each time she did it. The repairman said something about condensation forming in the oven if you don't use it often enough (?)

Dressing up: Yeah, I hardly have the time to dress up too. My dd asked me to wear high heel shoes. I said how am I going to run after didi in high heels shoes. She thought for awhile and said maybe a little later, when she is bigger, she will help me run after and carry didi, so I can wear my high heel shoes
happy.gif

That day I took out the last of my working high heel shoes and let her wear them in the flat. She was so pleased and couldn't believe her mummy actually owns high heel shoes haha. She thought her mummy was just a frumpy housewife flopping around in sandals!

My #2 is 18mths old. I don't think I have much supply left, cos he can finish everything in 5mins and shows me the "no more" sign. But I just give whatever I have, and he is happy to just latch with whatever little there is. He rejects FM too... will drink just about 100ml every day and some fresh milk that's all.

hello all!
TGIF ! so i dun have to wake up at 6am tomorrow
happy.gif
happy.gif

Dressing up - previous job work in an US company, dressing quite casual. can wear jean everyday...as long as u can put on a decent top. Now sahm, everyday is T-shirt, shorts, bermuda, 3/4 pants.

This week is baking bun and making bao week. I have been playing with dough since monday :p can you believe it ?

Monday try the steam bao, not very successful
Tuesday : try the piggy in blanket, good, save some in the fridge
Wednesday : try the milk loaf from HBB, result is good, all in the stomach
happy.gif

Thursday : try the steam bao, this time it is soft and fluffy, hooray!
Today : thinking of trying bun with chocolate and cream cheese filling, wish me luck.

some photos from this week's adventure:

5319604.jpg

Hi Little Cat,

Lovely lovely food featured above! Yes, as an SAHM now, it's 3/4 pants, tee shirt and no longer need to spend on hair/nails/dressing up. Alot of savings actually 'cos now I finally realise that more salary = less savings/more spending.

Littlecat,
Woah, I see you;ve been very busy, no wonder never post for a few days!
happy.gif

The sweet potato lemak looks yummy! It's my favourite vege. Can share recipe?

How did your chocolate and cream cheese bun go today? post some pics to tempt me into making some too :p , esp pics with the fillings!

I made strawberry jelly cheesecake for a gathering with in-laws family today - big hit with everyone
happy.gif

Hi All,

My hb and I like all-in-one meals. Took apart a handsome piece of cod, steamed some radish and had it with mentaiko. Here's what it looks like. Done in less than 20mins and very tasty. I don't like roe and codskin so I guess this is the best way to separate the fish
happy.gif

Eating with my toddler is messy so we stick to a big bowl each with all the ingredients arranged all about.

5323603.jpg
5323604.jpg

http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2011/04/food-pan-fried-cod-skin-with-mentai-and.html

Very simple and yummy. Too lazy to do complicated cooking on a weekend...

mumusings, thanks for sharing the good deal, wah only 50 cts !! aiyoh dun know still got or not...

For me last time working not much time to spend, now got more time, then realize no need to buy so much nice thing plus not much $$ to spend too :p

Huskie, haha.. yeah loh i really crazy leh... monday till friday play with dough.

The bun with cream cheese so so nia, didn't take photo. I make my own cream cheese chocolate, still lots of room for improvement:p
I like the bread talk cream cheese chocolate bun, $1.30 each, very nice.

My sweet potato leaf with lemak, receipi below:

Sweet Potato leaf (1 pack from NTUC)
Dried shrimp - 1 table spoon
Chillies paste – 2 table spoon
Minced Garlic -1 tea spoon
Belacan - 1cm cube
coconut milk or (evaporated milk) - half a bow
water
Sugar & salt for taste

Method:
Wash & clean the leaf.
Wash & soak the dried shrimp, once soft, then coarsely chop with a knife.
Heat up oil in wok, fried the garlic, shrimp, chillies paste, belacan till fragrant, add leaf to fry.
Stir fry till the leaf turn soft, add coconut milk, water and continue to cook.
Once the leaf and the stem turn soft, add sugar and salt for taste.
*If u want it more ‘lemak’ can add more coconut milk and less water.

Hi Little Cat,

Thanks for the recipe! Will try it. Definitely less $$ after stopped working but I am spending only 1/4 of what I used to so it's worth it. There is lots of beanpaste. Don't think will sell out (unless everyone reading my blog or this thread go gets it...hahaha). They have a large range of Sing Long products and the Hollyfarms jelly mixes are only S$1.25. Everywhere else sells the same at S$1.55 and above.

Hello mumusings! You have so much good household and cooking tips to share in your blog! Thanks very much!

cat, you pao looks very good!

I'm now proofing the dough for haiji bun. Saw cosybake's blog, her loaf looks so so yummy and soft that I must try my hands on it.

Today I'm cooking papaya with peanut soup, roast salted chicken, fry nai bai and fry luffa with eggs. The weather looks extremely gloomy in the east...

Husk, your bb so cute, can still give you the " no more" milk sign! 18 months bb is very fun to play with
happy.gif

What are you all cooking this week?

Hi Choc06,

I can't bake and can only cook basic dishes. Thanks for your feedback on my blog and kind words. I love doing household chores and am pretty fast with them.

I force myself to write every other day via my blog so that I can keep in touch with the English Language and the world. Will grow mouldy if I only talk (basic language) to my toddler everyday - hahahaha...

Hello Little cat,

Thanks for sharing the lemak sweet potato leaves.Just wonder where did you buy your belachan?I never be able to find a good one as I used to get it from malacca via mil but its kind of cumbersome.

Anyone has good lobang to buy fresh balacan?thanks

Joy

mumusings, thx for info, wow must go check it out!

choc, feel like making bao again today :p, the normal type not the laughing one.

joy, the belachan i get from NTUC. if u want something closer to malaysia type, may be can try sheng shiong, they have alot of other thing that can't be found in ntuc or giant.
Sometime i just like to go round and check
happy.gif

Today went NTUC saw the cordyceps chicken on offer, $13.80 instead of normal $16.80. So will make the soup today. Then many fry a dou meow or brocolli.

Hi Little Cat,

No prob. Here's Korean spicy pork lunch set with oyster rice for lunch today
happy.gif
Turned out really well. Pork was fragrant, sweetish and spicy. I can never make myself pay for Korean/Jap food at restaurants now, knowing very well that ingredients are inexpensive. This meal (both portions) cost only a total of S$5++ but likely will cost S$40 if you eat out and order a set with soup/kimchi/ikanbilis.

http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2011/04/food-oyster-rice-with-korean-style.html

5334100.jpg
5334101.jpg

Doesn't the above look authentic right?

Little cat

Thanks, will check it out.

Mumusings,
Can see that your presentation is getting nicer and nicer....can open restauarnt liao.

Rgds
Joy

Hi Joy,

No lah... bowls all wrong (Jap ones I used), not the metal ones like at Korean restaurant. Thanks. My hb helped me arrange the lettuce and oysters hahaha... Quick and tasty meal. Was suddenly feeling like eating Korean food but they give so little (super-thin) meat at food court and charge around $6. Forgot about the kimchi! I used to make kimchi using Daiso's seasoning - too lazy today.

mumusings,

Good effort lah.

Enjoy your time to experiment cooking while your boy is still not in school...

I cannot anymore cos got to be a kiasu parents now...hahaha

Hi Joy,

Yes, will treasure the mobility and school-free years while I can. I'm already waking up by 6 plus everyday 'cos the kid's up by then! Do your kids wake up on their own now or do they need you to help wake them up?

Hey mumusings,

Very soon, your kid will not want to wake up at 6 plus in the morning...been thr that phase too.

My older girl needs me to wake her up for school.Younger one, will wake up himself cos sleep enough liao.

I guess children at the age before 7 years are all very cute.

cheers

Mumusings,
wow your lunch looks so delicous !!
with good presentation looks more appetizing :D

Joy, share with us how u plan your time with them on study?
I tried to do all the chores, cooking, baking while they aer out.
Once they are around, esp the elder one P3 now, i will try to stay and to 'watch' him, if not he either do it very slowly or miss out something.

Yesterday he said no homework, so i let him do some revision.
Then at night 8pm+ plus he said got chinese correction..!
faintz...

Eh cat, what you cooking today? Me just frying bee hoon tonight. hehe.. simple meal..

Ang went day trip to Cambodia, dd1 for pri5 adv camp, so house will be very quiet whole day..

After the adventure camp, it'll be study camp at home
sad.gif
, 2 more weeks to exam nia.. Arghhh..

Mumusings, last night I fried prawns using your recipe, using the black vinegar,black sauce and sugar. Was very tasty.. Next thing I want to do is your mee hoon kuey, wow! and to eat with fried shallots, yum.. I'm drooling at the thought of it.. And also going to try your fry wagyu beef with an egg, yours looks so pro!

Haha joy, agree with you, my older ones don't want to wake up 7 early 8 early.. except the smaller ones.. The small ones literally jump out of bed every morning, very excited to see the day or rather, watch TV.. But I cannot say the same for the older ones.. haha..

Husk, what's cooking?
Cookie, how was your marathon baking last week? what you planning to cook and bake this weekend? hehe..

Littlecat,

I will try to get my hsework done whenever they are not in.When dd is doing school work, do not need help, I will do my own thing.

Choc06
When no school, kids are the happiest.

Thanks, Littlecat and Choc and Joy,

Looks like kids start getting lazier as they grow older.

Hi Choc,

Glad the recipe for prawns worked out well for you. My mom's recipe almost killed me 'cos she throws in the wet prawns after the oil. Insists it's nicer that way...

Mee hoon kway is easy. Don't bother with 'texture' of dough. Anything will turn out well so long as you eat it with shallots oil/soya sauce and fresh ingredients like prawns/mincedpork/veg. I never knew the dough was the least important although I do know that it's war-time food (according to my grandma who spent some time hiding in a jungle residence during WW2) and so it shouldn't be difficult to cook since ppl only had flour, salt and water then.

As for beef - the lesser seasoning the better and must be super fast (esp if beef is paper thin). Keep shifting the beef about the pan lest it sticks or get over cook. (My husband's tips) You can always shower in a few drops of red wine or cooking wine.

mumusings, saw your mum's version of mee hoon kuey, that she uses top flour for the dough, you find any diff in the flour?
Previously, I use only plain flour and will knead the dough rigorously, until dough's very smooth.haha.. thanks to your tip now, so i don't have to knead so hard..
ok,noted for the beef ;)

Back