Cooking Tips & Recipe

wah van, your ds learn golf. Wanted to bring my son to suntec branch but ex leh although wish that he can be Tiger wood one day

Krisjoy,annlee,
The course fee is $190 per mth for 4 sessions.Each session is 45min.For outdoor lesson it's $55 per session at SFRCC in Changi.

It's my hb's idea to let her learn golf, i am actually quite AGAINST it.

van, hee.... we're opposite. My hb against it and I want my son to learn if got extra$$

That lei cha i saw it on the tv, ya....doesn't look appetising

Krisjoy,
I'm Hakka! Yep, my family's Hakka yong tau foo is made with minced pork mixed with fish meat plus chestnuts for a crunchy taste. But not all items are fried - we do have the shui dou fu (white soft beancured), mushroom, bittergourd and beancurd skin rolls which are non-fried items.

For the Ampang version, there's one at Upper Thomson/Sembawang which is quite good - exactly what you described, with brown gravy poured on top.

I just had lei cha fan (brown rice version) at China Square foodcourt last Saturday - very yummy! I especially like the tea sauce not so diluted, cos the vendors will add hot water to it.

Sophie,
wah,your family's yong tau foo sounds more interesting! My MIL only made Tau Kwa stuff with minced pork then fried...boring!

annlee,
The yolk does seem bigger and very nice color.

Krisjoy and Annlee,

My MIL is teochew.When I make teochew porridge, I will have fish/chicken/pork porridge, salted eggs, ikan bilis..sometimes chai poh omelette..other times it's egg foo young...like mixing teochew and hokkien together
happy.gif
My hub says eating teochew porridge makes him happy so I'll cook it at least once a week.
happy.gif

Sophie and Annlee,

YTF without rice or noodles is interesting.I have to try.

Van,

Why against her learning golf haha...If she's the next Tiger Woods or Vijay Singh, you both can retire early leh.I love watching golf tournaments.

Amelia,

lol, where to find so many Tiger Woods/Vijay Singh.Somemore she always have 3-minute-hotness(new term invented in this thread by can't-remember-who).

Just feel that golf take up too much time and yet it's not a "real" sport for a young kid. I'll rather she continue her gym session.
When she attend gym session regulary, she doesn't seem to have so much aching problems. But now the father and dd duo can watch golf tournament and "talke golf" together, just like the mother-dd duo practising piano together, which is not a bad thing.

I cook porridge at least once a week as well.Usually cook sweet potato porridge,good for my dd who doesn't like vege.

Have you bought your bicycle? There is one bicycle shop at Linbang,nearer to your place,can ride bicycle back after buying.

There used to be a YTF stall at People's Park Complex selling just YTF liao with soup, no rice or noodles and can't choose the liao, but it's very nice,always long Q. Not sure if they are still there.

I went to Blk 687C's playground/exercise area today,the equipment,facilities are quite new, and environment quite good.

Van,
Your MIL's tau kwa stuffed with meat don't sound like the real mcCoy to me!
wink.gif

No wonder you find it boring!

I think the YTF stall at People's Park Complex still there... we passed by the stall the other day, and my sis the foodie says it's the nice one. It's a corner stall... not sure if it's the same one you're talking about.

Amelia,
I love Teochew muay! Other than those items you mentioned, I also like the plain steamed fish eaten with a dip made from taucheo + sliced chilis + lime juice. Very typical Teochew and appetizing!

Van,
Sophie is right. The famous stall is still there at People's Park. Can't remember their shop's name but definitely not the one called "Gao Ji"...I have not tried the popular stall for so many years cos I was put off by the perpectually long queue.

How's your dd now? Hope she is better!

Sophie,
You know how to make Hakka YTF? Btw, do u know where we can buy good fish paste? Cos I dun like the idea of scraping the fish meat from scratch...lazy!

Amelia,
If I were to choose, I think I'll pick chye-poh omelette over other dishes to go with porridge. Somehow the combination is perfect and I never get sick of eating chye-poh omelette
happy.gif

Krisjoy,
I'm not sure where to buy fish paste. We normally buy our own fish and scrap then put the fish through the grinder ourselves, cos that ensures the freshness of the fish, and the kind of fish my grandma uses (cannot remember name of fish though).

Van, LittleCat,
How are your kids?

starz,
Still on MC today right? Cos doc gave 2 days? Did you have to go back work today?

Krisjoy,Sophie,
Yes! That's the one,if it's not Gao Ji(I never like Gao Ji),and always long Q.

Thanks for your concerns,I sent my dd to school today.Instead of her usual Friday full day class, I only let her go half-day.The teachers all said she is SOOOOOOO SKINNY now!
509318.gif

Sophie,
Is the fish your grandma used Xi1 Dao1 Yu2? or Fan1 Shu2 Yu2? I think usually these two types of fish are used for fish paste/fish balls.

Van,
Don't think too much about other people's comments on your dd's weight. Singaporeans like to say things without thinking much, especially on other children's weight, whether other pple's babies are wearing shoes or if it's time to wear shoes etc.

As long as she is healthy and recovering, that is most important. Weight can be gained back slowly.

Yep, I think she uses more Xi Dao Yu.

Hi everyone. Been busy with housework and the gals. All this talk of Teochew porridge is making me hungry for some - I'm Teochew and it's comfort food for me! I used to love eating it with this elongated black olive with sharp pointy ends and you can crack the seed to eat the inside. It has a milder taste than ang-moh olive - does anyone know where I can buy this?

Hi Van, sorry to hear tt your dd is still feeling unwell. Hope she gets better really soon. Have you tried just dipping her spoon in some light soy sauce before each spoonful of porridge? My dd1 likes eating it this way when she has no appetite to eat.

Hi Krisjoy, I've seen NTUC selling fish paste at the fishball section. The brand is BoBo - I've never tried the paste before but the fishballs taste really good. My fave is also chye poh omelette! Speaking of omelette, which brand of eggs do you ladies buy? I try to get the ones from S'pore farms cos' I worry about bird flu but most of the time the eggs are quite filthy with droppings.

Hi Soph, there used to be a nice ytf stall (a franchise called Koo Kee) at the foodcourt. They drizzle the beehoon with fried minced pork and lard and it tasted really good. Is that a std feature of hakka ytf?

Hi Amelia, do you know how to make the sweet version of the fried ikan bilis and peanut? There's a cai fan stall at Caltex House basement that sold this - it wasn't very spicy and had nice reddish, slightly melted sugar coating the ikan bilis. It's a pity the stall isn't there anymore. Even when I was pg and not working anymore, I used to go there once a week to lunch with my ex-colleagues and eat that dish!

Oops, gotta go, need to start cooking lunch. Catch up with y'all later
happy.gif

Hi Annelise,
Thanks for the lead. Will check it out during my next visit to NTUC. As for eggs, I dun really stick to one brand. I usually buy those wif lower cholesterol..

I would also like the recipe for the ikan bilis if there is...one of my fav foods
happy.gif

van, how's your dd? Eating well?

I'm out today and went to organic shop to buy sea salt. I also ask that lady what to recommend to eat for kids with stomach flu. She says good to take some rice water(we know that) or make some freshly grated almond powder and make almond water for her to drink. But is very troublesome. And carrot apple juice for her. She also advise to take those good bacteria but she don't really recommend doctor one.The brand she recommend is Natren. Hths!

She also recommend Olive oil which is good for children for the growth of healthy brain and ladies to prevent breast cancer. And some effective microrganism stuff that i need to do more research for it

Amelia,
Got another cat show coming??

Sophie,
I am a Hakka too!
happy.gif

My mum made her own yong tau foo which I find it very yummy. The paste is made of some fish, minced pork & salted fish. She will deep fry them & then later stir fry with bean paste. Saliva drooling liao when I think of it now...

As for the egg, I bought those with low cholesterol and sometimes kampong egg for my son from NTUC. I know that Malaysia got lotsa kampong egg, cheap and fresh, i bought some from my malaysian friend before but so troublesome to bring in to sg.

annlee,
Thanks for checking out while you shop.Really appreciated!

I do use olive oil for cooking certain dishes.Most of the time I use canola oil, which is supposed to be healthier choice as well.

Krisjoy,
I've bought the fish paste from supermarket before. It tasted alright, but like fish balls, it has MSG. I use it to make Zhao1 Pai2 Dou4 Fu4(I posted the recipe in this thread before).

annelise,
I do drizzle some soya sauce on dd's porridge to make the porridge more tasty.I think as long as I give her braised peanuts or pork/fish floss with porridge, she will eat.

Went to library to collect my reserved Thermal Pot cookbook, but very dissappointed, a lot of missing pages, in the end, I went back to them,return the book and ask for refund. Not worth to pay $1.50 for a book that starts from pg 15 right?

Anyway, I just flip thru the book and saw the recipe for cooking glunitnous rice with thermal pot.Looks interesting and I regretted not taking down the recipe. Was told that the book is the ONE AND ONLY copy the whole NLB has.

Van,
I saw in the papers today that Tangs is having sales and the Tiger thermal pot is selling at $199. Limited to 30 pcs per day. Is this considered cheaper?

Wa, the book is sure very precious! Can't get it from other bookstores?

Krisjoy,
That Tang's offer item is 4.5L,with additional inner pot.I bought my 5.2L at $208-10% discount(taka member) =$188,with free Endo knife set. Hard to say this is cheaper.

I think Popular once sell that cook book, but don't see it nowadays.

Van,
What about those WMF pots that are on sales now in Tangs? Do you think is worth buying?

Btw, any mummies making their own mooncakes? I have some recipes but hv not attended any mooncakes making classes so dare not try out...dun wan all the ingredients and efforts to go down the drain..hehehe..

Hi mummies,

Went to have a look for anodise wok at OG. The brand is called Superwok, selling at $148 for the big one and give away one look alike pan which they say can bake cake and make pop corn.
Is it worth to pay for it? Wanna check with you mummies before getting one. Thanks!

hi ladies...

i'm still on mc today, but e previous 2 days "expired" liaoz.. today was cos i went for check-up at gynae...
today although did get to rest at home, but still have to do abit work.. just finished...

anywayz, my little boy now 2kg liaoz.. n we saw him opening n closing his mouth.. but cannot see him clearly liaoz, cos he's grown too big for the ultrascan machine.. hehehehe... very curious and anxious to meet him in person... but keep telling him only "see" him in nov.... =)

today's topic is YTF ar.. hehehe..
e ampang style one, i always go to the one near Sembawang area with family... other than that, not a big fan...

got to go liaoz.. mummy chasing me to go over for dinner soon....

TTFN...

Van,

Tiger Woods dad nurtured him at a very young age.Golf is part nurture and part talent...who knows what will happen
happy.gif

As for aches, I thought your dd is taking dance or something related?Dance incorporates pilates into their regime so it may help with aches.

I went to the bicycle shop at Limbang..it's alright but i think the CCK central one is bigger..Havent bought my bike yet.

Ok I will drop 687C's playground...My 684C's playground and park is good too..There're 2 bbq pits.

Sophie,

I keep wanting to make dipping sauces but keep forgetting.Must do it this weekend.
happy.gif

Krisjoy,

I must make teochew porridge on sunday again together with the chai poh omelette
happy.gif

Annelise and Krisjoy,

Mine's the shortcut verson...I am using singlong sambal chilli which is sweet and not too spicey then i add more sugar.

You can search www.kuali.com for "ikan bilis" and "anchovies" for more recipes.

Cat_tail,

Not sure.But there're already 2 this year..

Hi ladies,
I tried the hakka YTF at Ghim Moh, cos got newspaper cuttings(stamp of approval
happy.gif
) Find it ok... Like the Sembawang more...must ask hubby to bring me there soon.
Can anyone share with me the secret to frying nice crispy fish? Mine almost always end up a little burnt on outside but inside not v cook. Have to use microwave in the end.

van, do yu have any good recommedation on skin doctor? My younger boy is having bad rashes and those look alike mosquito bite which is not. Went to see 2 doctors, first GP says is insect bite but no improve after applied the medicine and the other PD says is allergy, gave zytrex and applied neoderma cream and now is worst...look like spreading more. The PD wants my son to go for review on Monday but now is worst.... so thinking to switch again

hi Annelise,
I think I know Koo Kee... they were featured in the papers before too. There's a Koo Kee at my place, noodles is nice, but I think their YTF is more of just fish paste, rather than the traditional Hakka minced meat+fish+chestnut kind.

cat_tail,
Woah, your mum's YTF got salted fish and bean paste somemore? Sounds yummy! It could also be different types of Hakka cos apparently there are many kinds in China. My brother recently went back to my grandpa's hometown - he took some pictures and I saw things like Hakka poh piah? They're made differently from the SG (Hokkien) kind, but he didn't tell me the details. And I thought poh piah were only made by Hokkiens!

annlee,
$148 is still expensive for me cos my budget is only $80
wink.gif
, but seems like cos they gave 2 pcs (1 big wok and 1 pan).

Yeah, doctors normally give Zyrtex for allergies - I was on Zyrtex for 2 years. In very bad cases, they'll probably give steroids (either injection or pill) to stop the inflammation immediately, but steriods are not very good in the long term. I used to go to the Skin Centre, but they'll either prescribe antihistamines like Zyrtec, Polaramine or Atarax; or they'll give steriods.

If after this bout of rash goes off, and next time you want to see the naturopathy doc at Camden, I've asked my friend if she remembered the name of the doc who cured her son's eczema. Will wait for her to SMS back then I pass you name.

sophie, I saw meyer wok selling at $45. Not sure why is so cheap cos all ppl attention on the sales promoter baking cake which selling their brand.
Will check for you if im there today.

Thanks for checking for my son. You've taking zyrtex so the rashes go off next day or weeks? My son condition don't seems improving after taking for 2 days.

wah..... go to camden sure spend a bomb leh...

Do you think orange will cause the rashes? I think i have read somewhere before that not suppose to give baby citrus before 3 yrs old.

annlee,
What happens during an allergy is this - in layman terms:

1. Your body "detects" some alien thing that you are sensitive to e.g. alcohol, pollen, dust etc

2. The body produces "histamines" (like rash, runny nose) in reaction to the foreign object, that's why you notice Zyrtec can be used for allergies such as runny nose. So now your body's sensitivity level is already higher than normal

3. Your doctor prescribes antihistamines liek Zyrtec to suppress the histamine level i.e. bring the sensitivity level down. The sensitivity level may or may not go back to the normal level, depending on how serious it is, and how your body reacts, that's why sometimes rashes goes off after medication, then come back again because of the trigger or other triggers

4. Note that the initial trigger may not be the subsequent triggers anymore once your body's sensitivity level is up, e.g. for me, I think the initial trigger was apricot brandy at a pub; my first reaction was swollen lips. Then next day, no matter what I ate or touch (e.g dust), I get the hives (fengmo) on my neck, my face and everywhere else. And from then onwards, even though I stopped alcohol, seafood, citrus fruits, moved house in case allergic to paint etc, the rash still came back and I had to be on Zyrtec for 2 years. FYI - I did an elimination diet, and citrus fruits were one of the things I had to avoid.

5. If the rash is very serious, doctors will give steroids in addition to antihistamines. Steroids give immediate relief in the inflammation, but long term use reduces immunity, that's why I insisted to doctor I didn't want steroids for long term. But still had to be on Zyrtec for 2 yrs! But for kids, sometimes doctors insists that steroids help, cos kids have lower tolerance level for rashes, so steroids do provide relief for them

So I really cannot tell you how long your ds will have to be on Zyrtec before rash goes off... really depends on the individual histamine level. But mine is an extreme case, so don't you worry so much!

Even if you do naturopathy at Camden now, it'll be a slow process and may be too torturous for your ds cos his rash is all out. Probably just wait for Van's recommendation for any skin doctors.

Yeah, Camden is expensive, but my friend's ds no longer suffers from eczema, and she doesn't have to spend money bringing him to doctors all the time now. I saw her ds' baby pics... one big red patch on a cute little baby, very sad. And I guess after bringing him to so many doctors, she got desperate and decided to give Camden a try even though it's expensive.

sophie, many thanks to you on the infor.

I think my son might be allergy to orange. I bought him liquid multi vit orange flavour from GNC and stop given him since yesterday so i think it might take awhile for the rashes to go away. And also he slept in the other room for about 1 week, not sure whether is the room problem cos all the while he has been sleeping with us and our room air can consider clean as my hb bought some of the purifying air product for the room. So maybe sudden changes of the place and multi vit causes the problem.

Now my hb is worried and wanna go to hospital to do the prick test if condition worsen by tomorrow.

annlee,
My dd used to see Dr Tham See Nee at #07-08 Gleneagles Medical Centre, Tel: 64766821. For milder cases of her eczema, we also brought her to see the GP at Bt Gombak who has Diploma in Dermatalogy.

May be you want to surf the net on pictures of skin disesase/infections/allergies, to see if looks like your ds's problems.We found the pictures of Impetigo which look like my dd's condition.

Better to see a dermatalogist earlier.When my dd had Impetigo, the GP wrongly diagnosed as fungal infection,but the blisters became worse just overnight,after applying the prescribed medicine.We brought her to see Dr YY Yip, who then referred us to Dr Tham.If she was given antibiotics within 24hrs, it would not have spread so badly.

Krisjoy,
I have never bought any WMF pot,also didn't check them out so can't comment.

van, thanks for your recommendation.

I did looked on pictures from National skin centre to match my bb condition but none of them look alike.

His hands look like bee hive that spread and stick all together make it look worse.. I tried some steriod cream on him on small area, hope it helps.

annlee,i m outside,using hp 2 check tat u got my msg. i tk pict of my dd's impetigo but can't send 2 u now.or u do a google search of Impetigo 2 find picture.
i rembr my dd's blisters also spread until stick together esp hands n toes. steroid won't wk for impetigo,nd antibiotics.Better confirm early.

van, thanks! I've seen the picture of impetigo. You're now outside and i don't wanna trouble you. Thanks again and enjoy your outing!

Hi annlee, your bb's symptoms sounds like hives to me. Does it look like small mosquito-bite-type of bumps that gradually form into one big bump?

The Dr Sear's website has a write-up on hives which I thot you may wanna read:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082400.asp

My 2 year old niece had hives last year and her paed gave antihistamines and steroid cream but it didn't work. So her great-grandma asked her to buy jiu biah (Teochew) from the Chinese medical shop, crush it and rub it on the hives. She did it once and the hives never recurred. I can't describe what the jiu biah is exactly but I rem my sis saying it looked like a piece of biscuit. Maybe you can go to a TCM shop to check?Hope he gets better soon!

annelise, I think is hives too. He took orange multi vit, change body shampoo ,always sweat and these are the causes for hives.

I will wait till Monday and see whether he gets better or not. Thanks!

van, sophie, annelise

If free can log in to spmctr to see my ds hands condition or can tell what is it. Thanks!

Hi All

Can I join you all?I love cooking and hope to learn more about it from you...

Wow, looking through, many archive....

Will read from here onwards...

Welcome joy747

Don't say that... maybe we got to learn from you.

Any recipe can share with us?

annlee,
Jiu Bing is Alcohol/wine biscuit, those that people use to brew wine for confinement.

Since you can't visit any dermatalogist on Sat/Sun,I thought of asking you to post photo to spmctr also, but just now outside, can't see photos anyway.

saw the photos, look more like hives than impetigo.

This is the TCM method to treat hives,the term is __Ma2 Zhen3(sori,don't knw how to pronounce the first word):

But there are too many methods listed,just for you to read for additinal info only.Best to see doctor.

http://www.med66.com/web/zy_my/

yes van, I called some the clinic and they're fully booked or half day today. Sunday closed.

Looked thru the TCM very chimology. Must read slowly. Thanks!

Hi annlee, if you want to bring him to see a PD tomorrow, there's Kidslink Clinic in Sengkang that's open from 9.30am to 12.30pm on Sat & Sun. You'll need to go before 9.30am to register first though, cos' there's always a long queue and they don't take phone booking. The add is Blk 237 Compassvale Walk #01-532 S(540237) Tel: 63884466.

Yeah, does look like hives. Would pure aloe vera gel help with the itch? It can be applied very liberally over large surface areas of the skin whereas steroid creams on the other hand, have to be applied very sparingly. But if he's never used the gel before, than maybe not advisable to aggravate his skin further with more foreign substances. Poor baby, hope he gets better soon!

Wah, Van, I'm very impressed! You are very knowledgeable! My sis is currently doing a TCM course - if only you're her classmate, can be study buddies!

Gotta go cook dinner - am feeling a bit feverish after spending the whole morning at the beach! That's for leading a sedentary, indoor lifestyle!

annelise, thanks for the address.

I intend to bring bb to see dermatologist cos brought him to GP and PD none of them helps and better go for the specialist. Thanks!

oh.. your sister is taking TCM course, where did she enrolled for the course?

annlee,
I saw your picture. It is hives, similar to what I had for 2 years. The Western medical term is Urticaria. There are different levels of them in terms of seriousness. Mine was chronic case that's why have to be on antihistamines for so long. Chinese is feng mo. It comes and goes yeah? Normally starts with a small dot, then spreads to a larger area. When that area "cools" down and rash is gone, another dot will start somewhere and the process begins again. Annelise is right, steroid creams is best not to use too much. Very long term use of steroid creams thins the skin.

Maybe you can try the wine biscuit remedy. I've never tried it, but tried spreading beetroot. Very messy... works to give temporary relief, but maybe cos mine chronic case, it just keeps coming back.

What is a prick test? I asked for a patch test at National Skin Centre, but the doctor says no need to waste my money, cos it's probably something I ingested, so patch test is no use.

For your future reference, if you're interested in naturopathy for eczema, the name of the naturopathy doctor that helped my friend's ds' eczema is Tina Jenkins from Camden, Tel: 6836 9732. A bit expensive, but he no longer suffers from eczema now.

As for wok, my mum just bought an anodised one today at the Yishun market. Brand is U-Like that comes with a free Xue Di Zhi cover + extension ring. I think I saw this brand at OG before. She bought the large size (40 inches). For $178, it comes with:
- 40" wok base
- 40" wok lid
- FREE 40" extension ring (to make the wok deeper for steaming/roasting/baking)
- FREE 40" Xue Di Zhi Cover to fit into wok & extension ring so you can roast or bake cakes
- Other miscellaneous stuff like recipe booklets, wok lid holder etc
- They deliver free to your house after you pay a deposit at the demo station

The medium size one is going for $168, but I don't know the dimensions. My mum says they also have a small one, but also not sure of dimension and price.

If you're interested, you can call the dealer here to ask where their nearest demo is, when this promo ends etc (I saw this contact on her invoice):
BALENO Trading Enterprise
Tel: 6791 3215

I am keen to buy it too, but headache about where to put the Xue Di Zhi... I really have no space in my kitchen to put any more thing. Plus I already have a large oven and a small oven toaster, so am wondering if I should just settle for something even cheaper.

Alternatively, if you ring up and if the promo does not end so soon, I can ask my mum for a review next week if the wok is good
happy.gif

Krisjoy,
I own a few WMF pots and pans, mostly the small ones cos by the time WMF had sale, I already bought my large ones. I think they're very good and durable. I like it cos they don't contain teflon, have a heavy base which spreads heat out evenly. Easy to wash too, even though I burnt one pot very badly till the whole kitchen smells! I was boiling water and forgot about it, till the water dried up and the pot was burning HOT and black. But after scrubbing, it can still be used and just looks a bit bronze rather than silver metallic color now
wink.gif
I only buy them during sales cos I find them too expensive.

Amelia,
I saw your cardholder! Workmanship is pretty neat for a sewing newbie!
happy.gif

sophie, you're right.My ds starts from small dot then spread and recovered. After that, appear again..spread... now the skin is you seen in picture. I'm impressed that you mentioned exactly what happened to my boy. About steriod I'm testing on small area on his skin to see whether it works or not and proven is not.

Do you feel itchy when having hive?

I've just read an acticle about testing on fish whether will cos allergy on some children. Threadfin, cod, salmon, mackeral, indian anchovies are the one which causes allergy.
And guess what, my son took some threadfin for his first time of his life 2 weeks ago! And the fish is a gift from my MIL.

Prick test is to check what you're allergy to, eg allergy to what type of food

My hb is interested to go to Camden. Thanks for checking for me!

I've seen U-like at OG, got promoter there too but superwok alot of ppl maybe more happening at that time and I saw the promoter for u-like abit moody. Another brand is buffolo, no promoter but i read a abit of the chinese notes says is healthy wok etc... quite ex. I might go to OG tomorrow to check the wok again but think will buy the wok next month cos might spend alot of my bb medical expenses again.

Back