Any slow Cooker Expert here?

dreamy79

Dear Mummies,

first time buy and use slow cooker. Was wondering how to cook porridge for my son. Need to leave for office early in morning and hope that by the time i return home abt 5 + the porridge will be just nice. However have tried and realise that the porridge is too "lan". Any expert here can give me some tips?

an ang, u can try thermo pot. I'm using Endo thermo pot to cook porridge for my boy. The nite before wash the rice and ingredients. Morning wake up throw everything into internel pot and cook on stove for 20mins (If u wan more "lan" then cook longer time on stove). U can go do other things while its cooking but do watch the fire every now and then. After 20mins of boiling, off the fire and transfer to thermo pot immediately. Evening I come home at 6.30pm wif nice porridge. But still need to warm up a bit b4 serving. No need to worry abt eletricity or burning (heard slow cooker can cos burning porridge too if not enough water inside or cook too long).

Now I also cook white rice wif it. 2 layers (2 internal pot). Big pot for rice and small upper pot for porridge then put all in one small thermo. I bought at $30+ at NTUC. Sometimes Isetan also hav promo.

wow... i didn't know can get endo brand at 30+ from ntuc. That day i saw at JL expo sale $69. I almost bought! haha.....

now i know where to go to look for my endo thermal pot. thanks for sharing

What you need, is a timer-plug. Can get it from those DIY shops or those shops that sells all sorts of "barang barang". But the pots may have different cooking time, and parents have different preference on the texture of porridge. So, you would need to experiment this on a weekend (so that you can monitor). Here's how it can be done:
1. All ingrediants fresh and put into the pot on high/auto for 1-2hrs. The important part is making sure that the ingrediants are cooked by the end of this period, and ready to consume if necessary. So, your timer should be set according to the time required.
2. Then, set the timer to turn on again from 4:30pm to 5pm. Again, you may need more/less time. Porridge should be mildly warm but not HOT. No point wasting electricity and then leaving it out to cool, right?

Alternatively, you can take out the claypot and heat it over the stove. The science here is that if you have bring something to a boil and left it untouched, it will not go bad quickly. Thermal pot uses the same principal.

Downside is you need to hang around let it boil, upside is savings in electricity.

Back