Any Mummy Who's Also a Teacher?

Hi Jane,

hmm, you and hubby will really have to work it out, otherwise, when your son grows older, he will play you against your hubby, and then it will really get out of hand when he becomes a teenager. My children don't dare to play us against each other, because they know we will ask them what the other said, and they will really get it if they lie about it, or if they ask the other parent after one of us has already said "no".

As for EL in P1, my boy has no problems because his EL is quite strong. He reads well, so it's all been OK so far. Plus we speak good EL at home... I was an EL teacher (altho in Sec Sch) myself, so his EL no prob. His CL though is a whole different story. Sigh.

Yes, all those mummies who are pregnant, must remember, baby comes first. Don't stress, and don't let the pressures of school get to you and your baby. Not worth it.

For my pregnancies, Ds was due in July, so I took off from the time Term 3 started. So that helped greatly.

For DD1&2, both my doc gave me MCs (hospitalisation leave and what not) in the last few weeks leading to school hols (after exams) so that I needn't go to school. My doc is very sympathetic towards teachers. Plus I had a pre-eclampsia scare with my DD2, and my DD1 I was very stressed, so doc gave me MC. heh. And although they said they would count MCs given in the month before delivery as prenatal leave, they didn't, so I still got my full maternity leave after the baby was born. So can try lor.

I took NPL for all three kids... DS born July, I went back "officially" on the Saturday after last day of school... DD1&2 born Nov. DD1, I went back 1st May... DD2, I took almost a year, went back 1st Oct. Both times designed to coincide with starting of exams, so I go back only have to invigilate and do marking, no need to take lessons. Definitely a great help. Hope this tip helps in your planning of NPL mummies.

Jane: Being about to leave at 1pm on the dot?? My principal actually "analyse" to us what time we can leave school...

She "explained" that civil servant must fulfill the working hours of 42hours/week. So every day we can only leave at 3pm...*duh*

Catherine - ur P is so duh! Tell her we work OT setting exam scripts and marking at home and we are as efficient even if we work from home! So narrow-minded!

Hi Jane,

Yes, I must take care now. So I'm on bed rest till 37 weeks. Hoping to pop at 38 weeks or so. Is that ok?

Hi Catherine,

I thot only HODs need to fulfil 42 hrs/wk, hence leaving at 3 pm?Since when has it cascade down to the teachers? Some Ps still measure their staff by the amount of hrs spent in schools. Talk about productivity.

Hi phy_*o*,

Your gynae shd know best. At the meantime, relax n dun worry too much. Your P can't do anything to u when u r on leave. BTW, r u applying for NPL?

Regards,

hi teacher-mummies,
I've just returned to teaching (pri) from my study leave. I would like to ask for your opinion on what I should do for my situation:
I'm taking over a long-term relief teacher who has been with my class from Jan till now. To the horror of horrors, I realised that she hasn't been doing her marking consistently - workbook, worksheets. And I'm not talking about one or two stacks (or four or five) of worksheets.
I've informed my level rep about it and she has asked the RT to do some of the marking. But apparently, the RT got very upset with me, to the extent of telling my students that I bully her and give her a lot of work to do.
Although I've told my reporting officer about it, I'm not sure what exactly is done about it. I'm really worried that I'll end up having to mark all these stuff for her. In actual fact, I've helped her with the worksheets done in April, but apparently, she seems to think that it should be my job to back-log on the marking since I'm taking over.
Could you give me some suggestions on what I can do here? Would really appreciate it.

Hi rains,

If I were u, I would not mark the work. It's not fair to u. The RT is paid to do the work, so the onus is on her to complete the work and do a proper hand-over. She will be blacklisted from my school if her work is shoddy.

Alternatively, can u get ur pupils to do peer marking? U probably need to check their corrections. Make it known to ur RO in case the books are called up for checking.

I think you should give it a fresh beginning. Any good reporting officer would not fault you on this. Tell your students that you are going to start afresh and to do work consistently from this point onwards.

SEcondly, you dun have to worry about the remarks that the RT made in front of your students. She is making herself look bad by bad-mouthing you. Sometimes, people make themselves out to be the victim to gain some sympathy. Slowly and surely, your students will understand you and know what an excellent teacher you are.

Thirdly, if you are worried about the parents' concern regarding the work undone, ask your RO if it's possible to write them a letter to indicate that you have already taken over the class and the remedies you are going to take to ensure that the class is learning. I am sure any parent would appreciate such a letter
happy.gif

I hope everything goes on smoothly for you
happy.gif

Lol, after staying home for close to a year, now I crave for some adult interaction. Glad to meet some fellow teachers here
happy.gif

Hi teacher-mummies,
The matter's been solved, but it was a battle nobody except my RO has won.
sad.gif

I had gone back to my RO and asked her for the outcome. This in turn propelled her to make the issue very big (in my opinion) by going to the vp, and looking into the whole relief system of the school.
She also confronted the RT and apparently scolded her so harshly the RT broke down. It's also decided that the RT would come back during the hols to clear the books and workshets.
I think they are going to make her sign something to make sure she gets the stuff cleared.
I feel so lousy about the whole thing. The RT gets scolded, I look so incapable of solving my own problem, the level head and the vp are involved. And it'll probably affect the RT's mentor as well since she's supposed to check on the RT. It's a whole messy affair. I feel so bad that I've stirred up a whole lot of trouble and giving so many people things to do and problems to solve and indirectly terrorising a young girl within just two weeks of my stay in the school. I hope that I will not get a D becos of this matter. Impression, as you all know, counts (alot) in this job.

hello teacher mummies,
wondering if i qualify to join here. I was a teacher before my first child was born. Thereafter took npl for a year until the P sarcastically said,"I know, women like you, will continue to take npl, with no intention of returning to work anyway!" With that, i submitted my resignation on the spot and have been out-of-work for the past 10 years!

Yes, i'm an ex-teacher SAHM for 10 years, and still counting! I do miss classroom teaching, but not the marking (hee hee). Thinking of going back to work part-time or adjunct, but so worried about all the changes in the school system and curriculum, wondering if I can cope.

Hope all you teacher mummies have a good time, and happy holidays... soon!

Hello rains,

Are u a new teacher posted to the teacher? Dun fret too much over the ranking thingy. If I were u, I would do the same. Looks like your RO has blown the matter out of proportions, and the mentor also didn't monitor the RT's work. It's not ur fault for raising the concern to ur RO. The RT didn't do her job, so she's responsible for clearing the mess else she won't be paid.
Dun let this incident affect u adversely. Have a fresh start in the new semester.

Hi cowandchick,

I don't deny that some Ps are not so pro-family. I had a female P, who upon hearing I was pregnant, didn't even congratulate me, and commemted callously,"Another pregnant woman, when's ur BB due? We got to plan for RTs!"

After being on NPL for 6 mths, I am getting very attached to my gal. I also dunno whether I can cope when I return to work next year. I have been teaching mainly P6 classes for the past few yrs, so I dunno whether my P will grant my request to teach lower Pri. Hope that I won't be posted to a new sch too.

Hi Rain, dun worry. i think the matter will not affect ur performance later on.I think is the RT who did not do a gd job.ur RO jus wan a fair solution to the probm.

Hi ladies, I would like to find out from u all if i need to bring any cloth nappies and disposable diapers for the Baby during delivery?
after the BB is born, the clothes he wears is from the hospital rite? or do i have to bring some for BB to wear during the two days stay?
Is there a need to bring breast pump ? sound very exaggerating to bring that also.
Can i jus bring my dress type pyjamas to wear during the stay? dunno my mum will say why wear dress, so cold.shd keep myself warm by wearing pants type pyjamas.
Anyone can enlighten me on these. I have got a list of things to pack for the maternity bag but i still have these doubts.

I glad to have this teachers aka mummies sharing thread to say out our unhappiness in sch as well as probm!
happy.gif

Me wondering if i shd go back to sch after delivery or take CCL to look after BB for a year or two.
cos i am still in bond.

Thanks, mummies, for the comforting words. I hope you're right.

xinyao,
The hospital will provide the diapers during your baby's stay at the hospital, but of course they will charge things used to your bill.
For baby's clothes, you only need to bring the clothes to change him out from the hospital clothes on the day you are taking him home.
I'm not sure if all hospitals provide breast pumps. The last I know, my friend who gave birth in April this year used an electrical pump provided by the hospital but she wasn't sure if they would charge her for the use of the breast pump. But I thought there's no harm bringing it along.
I remember myself wearing the hospital clothes during my 3 to 4 day stay until I was about to go home. But the friend I mentioned earlier changed into her own pyjamas after her delivery. So I think it's your choice.

Dear ALL, sometimes being a teacher enable us to "see" how important the family plays in the upbringing of a child...does it worry u that our kid/s one day would grow up to be like the students we teach?? For me, it does! It scared the wits out of me but being a SAHM is not an option for most of us (financially).

Hi Teacher Mummies

Hope to join this thread. Glad to have found this thread to pour out my woes as a teacher and new mother. I am currently teaching in sec school and my firstborn daughter is now 6mths old. She was born in Now 06 and after 3 mths of ML, i took another month of NPL. Luckily by that time she's more settled in her sleeping patterns. My MIL is currently looking after her as she stays opp my school.

After reading all of your posts, I really envy all of you for taking long NPL... How I wish I could do the same. Fyi, I got married in Nov 2005 and so with our new home and baby, we are q tight financially. Can't afford to take long NPL. I wonder how you all could do it...

Anyway, I came back to school a week before the Mar hols only to find out that my relief teacher had not been following my scheme of work. Worse of all they are my graduating classes! So now that exams and marking are over, I have to think about remediation and preparing for practicals in June. As usual, June hols are all used up for remediation. If only I can have a choice of not having graduating classes! Been stuck with them since the second year I started teaching in 2000. The lower sec teachers would be so glad to have the june holidays to enjoy.

I would like to conceive the second one soon. I prefer my dd to have company but at the same time, I'm also afraid of not being able to cope....hehehe

Catherine
we have the same fear...Many times after scolding a student whether it was on behaviour or studies, I pray v hard that my child will not be like that.

Hi Sharena,
Think we are in about the same situation, just that my dd's 22mo now. I started teaching since 2000 and had graduating classes until i was pregnant. Fortunately, my dept and P were all very considerate to me. And they made plans early so tt i actually had the whole of 2005 year easy (fyi, my dd's born in Jul 05).

And in Dec last yr, I talked to my P and requested to take NPL for a few mths to have more time with my dd. She did try to persuade not to initially, by giving me her opinions. But after abt 2 discussions, she told me tt she'll agree to what I want. It was truly a blessing from God!!

I'm now enjoying my extra time with my dd. Will be gg back to sch in Sem 2. Think life wun be too easy again... coz we're short of trs for my dept. I'm juz savouring every moment i have now with my girl.
happy.gif

Like u, i'm also thinkin of conceiving another bb. but in our profession... really hard rite? long hrs, hard work, late nites etc. dunno how to cope with bb no. 2.

If your sch is really a pro-family one, see if u can try and take a few mths off. It's worth it really!!

hi all,

My one yr no-pay leave is coming to an end. Have requested for my choice school after having horrible school for past four years. Don't know want to extend or not if not given choice school. I have been giving privite tuition for sometime, $ not too bad but the only bad thing is Sat and Sunday burnt. Husband yesterday says not very healthy. Any advise? Don't know whether can take hectic life in school or not? Tuition long term also very "xian", must see parents' face colour.

Sharena: *pat* *pat* I think most couples would need to work especially since they are planning or have 2 or more children.

I'm feeling very sorry towards my colleagues now. My HOD had "divided out my workload" & loaded the other teachers. Cos my ML falls within Jun holiday, school not hiring any relief during these periods so in the end, "arrows" would shot at my colleagues. Most have to "share" my workload. Somehow, I'm the excuse for giving them the extra workload. Felt so bad for them even though it is no fault of mine.

Hi Pauline,

I also wonder whether I can cope if I return to work next year. My mum tells me to resume work ASAP, she's scared that I will lose the momentum. Also, dun want to give up my second connect plan payout.

Did you approach the school P to request for the choice school? Heard that must stay there for 5 years if it's the sch of ur choice.

I'm also not keen to give tuition. No cpf. Got to plan for retirement. What about teaching at tuition centres?

Got to start looking for a maid now. Planning to go back to teach next year. Dunno whether to go back to my previous sch (been there for only a year)- Got to ask my P to take me in or wait for the moe posting.

Can you share with me how you all manage to take 6mths to a year NPL in terms of financial?? I'm curious...

Jane
I'm also expecting my second connect plan payout end of this year but it's definitely gonna be pro-rated since we have taken NPL.

I've not talked to my P or HOD abt relieving me from graduating classes. I have been in this school for 7 years now and my P is quite pro-family. My HOD.. hard to say cos even tho he's married with 2 kids, he would stay in school til v late. But he does ask me if I was coping with school and family during my work review.. so maybe that's a sign.

Anyway I have been thinking of transfering out although I haven't thought of any school in particular. Do we really have a choice? Close posting?

Pauline
I feel that since you are on NPL to spend more time with your family, you shouldn't have tuition during weekends cos I feel that weekends are good to spend quality time esp if ur hb works 5 day week. This is my opinion though.

Sharena,

I understand what you mean. Actually suppose to go back to teach in Jan, but due to unforseen reason decided to hold back till July. So during the weekdays, I spend time with my kids and weekend spent my morning giving tuition. I have a maid so got to help to supplement a bit. Just earn enough to cover maid cost lah.

Jane,
The choice P has written in for me. So crossed my fingers. I am teaching in tuition centre for my weekends. That is why I don't really enjoy it. Answerable to the parents because they think that they 'paid' for better results. If child did not do well, they will start to 'blame' us.

hi all,
just double check with ur.
if my child is below 3 years old, i can take no pay childcare leave for 3 years or 2 years?
is taken year by year n renew again after each year ?

Hi xinyao,

U got to renew each yr. In fact some schools require to renew half yrly if u want to remain in the same school
happy.gif

hi mommies,

am on NPL too but it will be expiring next year mar, but that's the time I will be helping no2 transit to Nursery 1 and changing a new maid at the same time. anyone have any experience of extending NPL beyong three years??
thanks for any advise in advance.

harriet

Hi xinyao,

I should think so. Not a problem, but you can check with your school admin?

Hi harriet,

You can all your school clerk and check with them now. Now is not the peak period, they should be able to provide you with a better picture.
happy.gif

hi Teacher mummies,

May I ask if anyone has any idea what are the medical benefits for us if we choose to deliver in private hospitals?

Thanks
happy.gif

Phy....I dun think there is any medical benefits just that you can use your medisave other than that you foot the full bill.

I delivered in a private hospital as my gynae only delivers in one hospital.

Hi Priscilla, thanks..
happy.gif

Ya, that's what I read about in the medical benefits scheme for teachers too..

No choice then, my gynae is also from private hospital so I reckon will have to deliver there.

Phy...in fact, I enjoyed my stay so much in private hospital and the nurses in my ward were very caring and as I opt for fully breastfeed, they provided me alot of support as well as teaching me the right method of latching on the baby.

Hi

medical benefits for Civil servants who deliver in private hospital really none.... but, please remember you can claim up to $500 a year, so each time you go for a visit, please claim from pac@gov

hi first baby,
am thinking of it cos NPL ending soon. what about you? I have been out of school for a while and am wondering how to go about this part time/adjunct thingy. unfortunately none of my friends are on these schemes so nobody to ask
sad.gif

harriet

Hi harriet, I took 8 mths no pay leave las yr and came back las Aug. Sch reali got tons of work. No time for my gal. Reali thinking of switching to part time or adjunct. Have checked moe website but not very informative leh. None of my frens on these schemes too.

hi firstbaby
agree with you about the tones of work, when i came back from NPL for no1, HOD had work review immediately, ask 'are you ready for more assignments to work towards level heard' I looked at him and said ' i am ready to have no2'. Urghghg,

when no2 EDD was annonced, i was given the year's equivalent of lectures and CCA work and the work review before i went on no2 ML, was 'your work review is not satisfactory because for this year, you only taught for 2.5 mths compared to new teachers who come in July, they teach for 5 months!, so don't expect much for PB' I was fuming mad, but what to do? so just NPL first and wait for children to grow.

if you find out anything about this parttime/adjunct tell me ok?

MTIA
Harriet

Hi Harriet,

The Adjunct scheme is only for retired or ex-teachers. U r paid a salary by MOE, think u can negotiate with them the no of hrs u want to teach.The rate is based on the no of yrs of service. There r two types - flexi adjunct or contract adjunct. One is short-term, the other is 1 yr.

Part-time teaching is IMHO not a gd deal. U can opt to teach half, two-third or three-quarter workload. But bear in mind that u still need to carry out the normal committee n routine duties. Ur pay, bonus, holiday pay, even promotional prospects also pro-rated. Moreover, due to time-tabling constraints, u may not be able to have ur periods banded together, thus u end up doing relief for others. Some schools may even require u to pair up with someone else. Remember to apply early, think at least 2 mths before Dec. HTH

BTW, u mummies can email MOE if u need further info.

Hi Jane. Thought there is no form teachership, cca or standing com? Have email MOE las wk for more details but have yet to reply.

Hi Firstbaby,

If u r referring to ajunct teacher scheme, then the above applies. I think they r paid less than a normal teacher.

My ex-colleague on the part-time work scheme is also a form teacher of her class. Again it depends on ur arrangement with ur principal.

Hi all,
I've one year of bond left and am toying with the idea of one of the adjunct schemes - my husband said that one of them (flexi or contract) gets the last drawn pay as when you were a full-time except that there's no bonus, but at the same time, don't have to do the department works, give remedial or cca.

hi jane,
Oh, I am aware that I need to resign first before I can apply for adjunct. I wasn't suggesting that I wish to convert. Thanks tho.

My fren called up MOE HR if can apply for adjunct straight after resign, and HR reply was in this kind of situation, they will not consider favourably. Is it true?

I think MOE considers it on case by case basis. Normally they don't employ u immediately, and u dun get to go back to your previous sch. What I know of is because they dun want to open the floodgates. Usually they prefer teachers who are more experienced, have good track record. Even on the adjunct teacher scheme, your contract may not be renewed at the end of the period. So it's not a permanent thingy.

Hi,
If I am not wrong, for adjunct teachers, how much you are pay depends on your last drawn salary. Say if you opt to do half load, it will be half of your last drawn salary.

Hi mummies,

I was asking a question to other teacher-mummies on another thread about how long must I be stuck to this school that I'm newly posted to after two years of study leave before I can ask for a transfer?

Is it two years again? I remember that we had to wait for two years before being eligible for a transfer after doing my Dip Ed. But now that I'm left with one year of bond and came back from two-year study leave, do I have to wait for two years again?
(Please tell me it's not. I'm dying of the inefficiencies of the school)
Is there a number to call to ask and you don't have to worry about them asking which school you are in? I don't want anybody to mention to my principal, by chance or whatnot, that I asked for eligibility of transfer, which indicates hatred for the school.

rains, you can call up personnel I think and ask about transfer.. maybe if they ask,then just say that you are thinking of moving house, or something, or like maybe you got to move in with your in laws, and you need to transfer school... if you don't mind becoming aided staff, then you could also try asking at aided schools to see if they have vacancies and then asked to be posted during posting period... which i think should be coming up soon if I am not wrong. Just call personnel ask and give some story lor... no need to say you hate the sch mah.

Thanks, dorie,
Do you have the number to call? The only number I have is MOE customer service number and I always feel like a ball being thrown around and never got my answer, plus they definitely will ask for my school.

Back