Any Mummy Who's Also a Teacher?

Heard from my friend about this school in the east.

P said no such thing as 1/2 or 2/3. The minimum is 3/4 load. If cannot cope and want to take NP leave, then pls find another school.

hey ladies,

before i got preggy i was talking to a preggy colleague abt this 'lightened' load.. She was telling me, if you want to do sthg like this, go to a new sch.. Coz the current sch wld know your strengths which they can tap on, like efficiency..

But at the same time, the sch can also exploit you by asking you to take on duties/commitments based on emotional accounts..

Min 3/4 load: Is there truth in it? I always had the impression tt HR policy says tt 1/2 load can be requested? Then i think it's nt right for the P to say tt..

Hi hisstory, I started part time teaching in my new school. Before the term starts, I discussed with P and VP on my interest to take on part time. So perhaps u can let yr RO knw first.

Yes, I need to attend staff mtgs and trainings. As my off day is Fri, if the trainings fall on Fri, I need not attend tho.

Vivid, yr sch 1 period = hw many mins?

1 period = 35 minutes

Previously, for part-timers it used to be give n take. Now, it seems that we are the ones taking...taking...taking...

Vivid, agree with u. One of my col who is on part time also shared with me that we are taking more and more load.

My 1/2 load consists of 25 periods over 2 wks (55 mins/period). Reporting n dismissal time is the same as normal teacher.

Anyone can report b4 lesson starts and go back after lesson ends? My ex school allows this.

hi 2nd Baby,

My RO currently knows tt I'm going to take extended leave, NPL after the 3 mths. Thereafter, my plans aren't firmed up. By the time all these are over, it would be Sem 2.. And since I always get graduating classes, I think they shd be ok in giving me part-time, as their syllabus wld be completed
happy.gif

Whether it's 1/2 of 3/4, i'm actually qt fine, but i wld pref to concentrate on teaching solely.. Dun like other wayang stuff

Reporting time: Was reading somewhere, some schs allow mummies to report later coz the sch understands their needs to do night feeds

hisstory, if u prefer solely on teaching, let yr P knws when u apply for part time teaching. Usually the sch will allow.

HI..TEACHERS
recently found out abt the PT teaching.any one know if a bonded teacher can apply for PT teaching?

xinyao
A teacher on bond can apply but it just means that the bond will be extended. In addition, most p will discourage this... all the best

claraity, PT Teaching is Part Time Teaching. Applicable to teachers whose children are under 12 yrs of age or above 55 yrs of age.

any idea where we can find out more abt te part time teaching scheme? have tried to search online but seems like there is absolutely nothing on it.

hi teacher mummies, I'm new here. Just delivered my first born in May 08. i'm still on my 3-yr bond. Relatively new teacher, served only 1 yr of bond and cannot get my confirmation. School is extending my probation till end of the year after I come back from ML.

In my case can I still take NPL? i wonder if it will affect my probation and bond. Any senior teachers here to advise?

Soliano, taking NPL will definitely affects promotion. If I am not wrong, if u apply NPL during yr bond period, its not counted to complete yr 3 yr bond.

Soliano,

I have checked with my GO, NPL doesn't count to the bond.

E.g. i took 3 months NPL after my maternity leave during my bond.. so i have to extend my bond by 3 months..

Hi teacher mummies,

I'm currently on NPL, and would like to tender my resignation. Anyone knows where should I send my resignation letter if I'm already posted out of my previous school? The resignation notice only includes a list of fax numbers . Thanks!

HI trishbb,

Call MOE headquarters and ask for the department to send your letter/email to. YOu need to give 1 mth notice. hee hee, I was also on almost 2 yrs NPL and just quit this May. Why do you want to quit?

Hi Jeng,

Thanks. Hee, Me too:> On NPL since Aug 06.

Reasons?
---WANT to take care of my children myself.
---Don't want maid or part time cleaner.
---Don't want to put the burden on parents or in-laws (they always complain to me cos both taking care of other grandchildren)
---Hb very busy--cannot help with housework
---Tried part-time(half load) but ended up with half pay 3/4 Load!
---Slow in marking, Needs to bring work home.

Actually, I really enjoyed teaching and liked the rapport with students. Very hesitant about quiting but I cannot cope with both--being a mother and a teacher.
Realised that sacrificing my career is the best arrangement for my family...We're alot Happier when I'm not teaching.

Really admire all the teacher mummies here who can cope with both. Take care!

Hi all,
I'm thinking of taking NPL next year to spend more time with my child. I have a few concerns though and hope you gals can advice.
1) Is it true that it's quite difficult to get them to approve your NPL?
2) After NPL ends, will you be posted back to the same school?
3) Is there aby obligation to serve out 1 year after coming back from 1 yr NPL? or can we just resign?

pls advice, thx

Hi nuvola,

To answer your qns:

1) If your reason for NPL is valid, they will approve quite easily. Usu if the reason got to do with childcare (children below 7 yrs old), they are ok with it de.

2) Depending on how long is your NPL. If your NPL is short, i.e. few mths then you will most likely go back to the same sch.

However if your NPL is a year or more then you might not go back to the same sch.

3) There is no obligation to serve out 1 year after NPL. I even have coll who purposely take NPL and after that they resign.

But i have some coll who personally feel that they are obligated to serve 1 more year cos their HODs are quite nice to them. But no official obligation.

My 2 cents worth.

nuvola, I got my NPL approved quite easily. One year to accompany spouse overseas and also taking care of my kid.

As my NPL is one yr and I didnt request to stay with the current sch. I leave it to MOE to post me. If u realli keen to go back to the current sch, can let P knw.

Hi teacher mommies,

Am going on maternity leave in Jan 09. Helping my HOD to source for responsible relief teachers who can cover my teaching duties in Jan 09. Currently teaching in a secondary sch in the West.

Subjects to cover include Sec 4 Sci (Chem) and perhaps Lower Sec Sci. The relief teacher must be quite familiar with these syllabus.

If any of you are interested or if you know of someone who fits the bill, please let me know.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks.

Hi teacher mummies, wanna find out whether teachers on 1/2 load are entitled to e full maternity benefits??

I will be going bk teaching next yr on a 1/2 load basis. But its 29 teaching periods. N still need to be a form teacher. Bad bargain???

jay, wat is the duration of 1 period in yr sch? So yrs is only teaching periods and form teachership rt? No committees and CCAs?

This yr, I m having 1/2 load with 13 hrs for each wk.

hello mummies any idea when on no pay leave are we teachers still entitled to 13th mth and variable bonus, even if pro-rated?

Hi 2nd baby, its 1/2h for 1 period. Mine is pure teaching load, not too sure abt committees. Confirmed no CCA cos that was wat I requested.

So are you teaching in a primary sch? Which level are you teaching? Wat time do you normally knock off fm wk? How do u find it?

kkf,
if you have taught for a few mths, yup, all e bonuses will be pro rated. =) For me, last yr I taught till ard Oct b4 I went on maternity leave, followed by NPL. so variable bonus,etc all pro rated.

thanks jay, yup i taught till ard july 2008 before i took no pay due to pregnancy reasons.
No pay ending soon on 4th Jan 2008.

Nice to see so many teachers ard here!

teaching is really tiring, especially us with kids.

Hi everyone.. found this thread on google while i was searching for Part Time Teaching Scheme.

I'm currently on NPL taking care of my 8mth old son. Will be returning to sch next yr
sad.gif

Im currently exploring my options... i'm thinking of pursuing my studies at nie fulltime or partime. Dont think i'm interested in courses offered at SIM though.

Would like to know any mummies out there have been on PDL? Was thinking of using that if i go to IE fulltime.

And if i decide to do part-time nie, dont think i'll be able to cope with full time teaching either..haizzz decisions decisions! So thought of doing Part-time teaching..while doing part-time nie.

What do you think? Would be glad for any input from mummies here.
happy.gif

Thank you

jay, means per wk, u have 14.5 hrs per wk of teaching periods? I m teaching in sec sch n teaching sec 1-3. For me, not much of marking as I m teaching only one subject. I wil go home straight after sch, ie. at 210pm which I find it late as a part timer.

Hi 2nd baby,

yah, 14.5hrs per wk. I dunno how it's gonna be. very sian somehow. I tried to ask the P to reduce but I might not be able to get a reduction. Now, im wondering whether I'm making the right choice. Maybe I should hv jus extended my NPL. =) What time do u start wk?

jay, my teaching load in T1 was 10 hrs only, then T2 to T4 was given 13 hrs. I report and knock off same time as the students, meaning 7.25am assembly and 210pm dismissal. Next yr, I would want to request to go back after my last lesson. I kw of some part time teachers reporting at their first period and gg off after their last period. *Envy*

Dear mummies

Currently, I have the thought of switching my career to teaching. I think this is a good place for me to find out more.

I have 2 kids, #1 is going to 3 years old, and #2 is going to be 1 year old.

While I reading through the posts, it seems that many of you find that working hour is long. Can advise me what is the working hours like for weekdays, and school holidays?

Do you find balancing family life a challenge, as in not much time to spend on own kids. I am working in the commercial line right now. But have been in serious consideration to switch career. My mother is an ex-teacher, however, I think now the responsibility of a teacher is very much different from my mum's time.

Thanks in advance.

cool... just found this thread... it has died down? ...

i'm STILL ON NPL... and am enjoying days at home with my 2 kids...

hmm... still wondering if I shud just resign or switch to XXX-teaching (sorry... there are too many categories to know which term to use)...
happy.gif

i feel like quitting teaching. the parents nowadays are really maddening. they are complaining left right centre, i give up

i so agree with you atinarin...

i'm a parent... N i always attend teacher parent meeting and all other related matters

at the meeting, more often than not, i hear parents asking question... how is my son... and later giving feedback on this n that...

once, during a meeting, i was waiting for my turn to talk to teacher, and i waited abt 5 mins while the parent before me rattle on about her son n how teacher can help him...

so when its my turn and i encourage teacher that we did the goal setting session at home which is similar to what she just shared...and that my son is more attention and focus on getting the 'A'...

the parent's jaw dropped... yes, i can see, her mouth was wide open...

so don't take parents too personally and try to remember the encouraging ones
happy.gif

I have many friends in teaching line, a 12 hour daily working schedule is the norm!

you teachers are in a great profession and I salute you
happy.gif

thanks pauline....im really demoralised...

to thin kthat they can threaten to complain to moe?

im earning a living too...some of these very parents are unemployed and on financial assistance, they act like the school owes them everything!

Hi all teacher mummies..i desperately need all of ur advices..

I started my teaching bond in 2006..After a year of service & I gotten my confirmation, in 2007 July, i took NPL for 5mths as I was pregnant with my 1st child & I was spotting thru'out my whole pregnancy..

In the following year March 2008, I was pregnant again, this time was unplanned..We dunt hv d heart 2 abort so we decided to hv the 2nd child though we noe its gona be tough..I end up having d same pregnancy implication..That time,my previous P was v supportive & he approved me on taking hospitalisation leave..I took NPL 5mths before my DDT coz i exhausted all the med/hosp leaves...

My children are now 16mths & 5mths..i just returned to school for 2weeks frm my ML..Unfortunately,my mom can't cope wif my 2 young ones coz my maid of 6mths cant help her much @ all..My hubby & i feel dat our kids need me & i intend 2 take 6mths of NPCCL..As by d time, my elder kid can go CCare & also the sch can also get another full-time teacher 2 replace me 2 help my colick (btw i'm a full art teacher)..

I asked my P(a new one) on Friday & she actually asked me to break my bond instead!?!(I'd checked wif MOE,my current bond status is only a year left)..

She claimed that is my third round of taking NPL & she wont approve so on so forth...She like gave me 2 ways either break bond or just finish up this one yr..but she doesnt understand that this is the time my kids need me the most..
She even say stuff like u bring the children to the world and u hv to make a decision..blah blah..

Is it true as she said? Coz my previous NPL is taken due to pregnancy implication & not childcare purpose..Moreover, we female civil servants are entitled to NPCCL as long as our children are below 4yrs of age hor?..

I truly feel its not right of her to ask me break my bond. My hubby & I will die die not break the bond as it cost us alot of $$$..My hubby told me is pointless to stay in this school workin for this kinda P..He was mad & he suggested we go straight 2 MOE...how??..can any kind souls pls advice...thanks a million..

i dont know the rules but i think u cantry talking to iCare at MOE, cansearch intranet for details...

breakingbond? woah thats only if u have loads of money to throw ya? quite absurd

hi claraity,

so sorry to hear about your plight..

i strongly suggest that u go to MOE regarding this matter.

let me share with you what happen to my fren who is oso a teacher at a sec sch.. she went on maternity leave for 3 months n later on took 6 mths of NPL to take care of her baby.. so for that particular year, she was onli in sch for the first few months.. and while she was away, her P put her on teacher excess list and she was told to transfer to another school!!

she was very upset and she called MOE to complain saying that her P was discriminating agst preg ladies and not pro-family.. and it was not ethical to transfer her out of the school without even discussing it with the teacher concerned (who is my fren)..

in the end, MOE instructed the P to withdrew the teacher excess list n my fren was not transferred out anymore.. but eventually my fren oso quit la..

so i guess u can also go to MOE regarding this matter as i feel that no one should be made to break bond agst their will.. this is stupid..

all the best in this matter..

take care!

Back