Any Mummy Who's Also a Teacher?

Hi all,

I am new to this thread. Just to share my experience. I have been on the part-time scheme for 2 yrs and i guess i will not return to full load in the next few years. My son is nw 2.5 yr old and i am expecting no. 2 in Oct.

At first i started with half workload and was glad that my P alllowed me to choose the days i would like to work. Thus, i chose to work on Mon, Wed and Fri. I was given 15 periods (35 mins each). After that, I switched to 3/4 workload and my teaching periods were up to 25. I told the HOD to plan my timetbl such that i would work 3 and a half day a week (I don't want to have Monday Blues so i told them i m off on Mon!) Thus all my period were squeeze into Wed, Thu and Fri. On Tue, I would finish work and leave sch at 10.30am. As such, i was never down for any relief periods.

For the part-time scheme, i would only concentrate on teaching and nothing else (no CCA, no form teachership, no committee...) My P and HODs have been very understanding and i really appreciate their Pro-family approach. As far as i know, MOE does not have a structured framework with regards to the allocation of workload for the part-time scheme. A lot of the time, it depends on how the P interprets the general guidelines given taking into consideration the needs of the school itself.

As for the Adjunct scheme, a senior teacher of mine who is on the scheme advised me stay on in MOE until my pay has increased to a certain level (probably to quit aft 15 yrs in service). She told me that by then, my pay from the Adjunct scheme would be more 'reasonable'...

hi all,
I m a flexi adjunct teacher.My pay is my last drawn pay and i went back to my previous school. I resign after taking one and a half year of no pay leave as i have two young kids aged 7 mths and 23 mths respectively to look after.My previous sch is v short of teachers and when i decided to go bk,my vp helped me to call moe to speed up the process of approving my flexi adjunct status.It took less than a wk for them to approve. If anyone here would like to apply online for adjunct post,i suggest u get the school that u wanted to teach to help you call moe or else it might take a while before moe confirm and approve ur request. I have been bk to school for two wks now and i think i made a wise choice as i can leave the sch after 1pm,the latest i stay is until 2pm.I only teach ,no ccas or other commitments.That is to say if i finish my marking i can leave anytime after 1 pm. For adjunct scheme, u can neg the terms with ur hod and come up with the tmtable that suits u most.

Hi J&K

Thanks for sharing. Flexi adjunct trs' wage is hourly-rated, right? Sorry, I am a bit confused here cos you mentioned your pay is your last-drawn pay. Or are you doing Contract Adjunct?
Thanks!

Hi pink tulip
yup,the wages for flexi adjunct trs is hrly rated.The admin officer confirm with me that it is my last drawn pay so i believed they calculated my hrly pay based on my last drawn pay.For my case, i need to work min 5.5 hrs per day,and i can claim up to 75 hrs (max) for two wks.If u want more info on adjunct teaching prog,can chk out this website
happy.gif

http://www.moe.gov.sg/teach/adjunctteacher.htm

Hi J&K!

Thanks for your clarification. Oh... I thought you managed to get your last-drawn pay, as in, the whole sum. Now I know what you mean. Thanks.
happy.gif
Ya, I have registered myself too. But I have yet to start working as a flexi AJT. Still have to settle childcare issues before I can do that. I have two kids too- 5 and 3 yo.
happy.gif

Hi vivid, yr sch has planned yr timetable that accomodates u to teach for 3 days. That;s very nice. Spoke to my p and he mentioned that half workload will be 27 periods. Wow, that's reali not a gd deal compared to yrs of 15 periods as half load.

Jus to check for part time, do u still need attend staff meetings, dept meetings and workshops?

Hi Jane. Half workload with 27 periods of 35 mins, no cca and standing com, but need attend staff and dept meetings. Its not a gd deal at all. If I apply in term 4, its not so worth it cos all cca and standing com gonna stand down soon.

Hi FirstBaby,

Like i say, the no. of periods allocated is entirely up to the decisions of the P and HOD. For my case, the sch is really in need of teachers hence they are willing to accomodate.

Yes, i do need to attend staff/dept meeting if the meeting falls on my working day. But I'm given the flexibility to leave earlier. As for the workshops it depends, if it is compulsory for all staff then i'll hv to attend.

hi mummies

so nice to find this thread being so active n current.

i'm a teacher on npl this year too. i have a ger who's 15 mths now n that's such a cute age to be wif...she's learning to walk, talk...

my npl ends this year but i'm considering if i should extend another year or go back to work. Very sian now everytime i think of it. My hb feels i can take another year off as he feels it's too young for my ger to go for playgroup or childcare. If she does go, then no point me staying at home. But at the same time, i'm not sure. I spent the last 3 years before i gave birth in HQ so if i go back, will be to a different sch...even looking for sch now is a headache cos open posting is over oredi...unlike some of u who can go back to ur previous schs

really in a dilemma wat to do...

Hi Firstbaby,

How long is your NPL? If u take longer than 6 mths, u will be posted out of the school. The part time work scheme is subject to the P's approval, and again the needs of the school.

Hi Cheri,

Seems like we're in the same boat. My gal is about 9 mths now and my one year NPL will end in Feb next year. The prob is that my HB doesn't mind if if extend my leave till the max, but my mum who's helping to look after my gal wants me to go back to work in Jan. She feels that the longer I dun work, the greater the likelihood I may become too attached to my gal and resign from the service. Now my gal will wail the moment I am out of sight, and it breaks my heart to see her calling out for me. I can't imagine what it's going to be like next year when I go back to school. Childcare at 18mths is not an option for us, we have seen in our own eyes how the kids are treated there. Anyway, I am getting a maid to look after her, and I hope that the maid can be a reliable one.

In order to spend more time with my gal, I have decided to take up the part-time scheme. I have spoken to my previous P about it, and he is willing to take me back. Maybe for ur case, my advice is to scout around for a school nearest to your house, u can save alot of travelling time. Perhaps you can even approach the P yourself. The P can also write in to MOE to request for u.

haha jane, yes we r indeed in very similar situations...my mum is also very against the idea of me staying at home esp since she's been a working mum all her life. Can't understand why i would wanna stay home wif all the education n pay i hv. I would not want to resign cos i oso believe once my ger goes to school, it will be quite boring for me as i dun intend to have another child. Thinking if i should max the leave too...wondering, can we apply for npl again when they r about 5 let's say? r we allowed to break up the 3 years npl?

i'm not sure abt the part time scheme cos it all depends on the sch n the mgt...some cases of pt tg i heard is very bo hua...in the end like full time workload but half pay.

if i do go back to work, oso hv to consider where i wanna send my ger to in future as i'm a pri sch teacher. Then she'll get priority into the school mah...hahah

Hi Cheri,

What a coincidence! We're in the same predicament. My mum has been a full-time career woman before she retired. So she's totally against my staying at home, looking after kids, with no income. She even threatens to go back to her own place if I dare to resign. Not that I need to support her, but I am also worried whether I can find another job with the same pay I am getting now.

Come to think of it, I guess it boils down to the fact whether u r prepared to make a sacrifice and willing to stay at home with not much social life etc. Moreover, since we r teachers, we will be more in touch with the syllabus and can coach our kids better, unless u r the impatient type.

I think we r still eligible for npl until the kids turn 12 yrs old. 3 yrs npl is the max we can go at a stretch. When we resume our service, we r expected to fulfil the same number of mths of ur npl before u can apply for NPL again. ie 1 yr NPL must tg for 1 yr.

I dun think I want to place my kids in the same school I am tg. It's very stressful and awkward to be colleagues with ur child's teachers.

I heard that learning vision at MOE HQ is quite good. Can u go back to HQ to work? Is it better than working in schools?

BTW: what subjects r u tg?

Hi Jane

Can you help me to clarify:

If my school dont allow me to take no pay does that mean I have to resign??? I took 5 months of NPL then came back to serve for a year. Now, no one will help me with my kids next year so thinking of taking no npl again. However, if the school rejects, what is the next step?

One question of NPL. If you take 1 year NPL, but decide that you need to resign. Do you need to go back 1 more year before you resign? And does NPL for kids apply to female teachers only? For what other reasons, NPL will be granted.

jane - yes yes, i always tell my mum each time she grumbles abt me taking npl that money can always be earned in future but my ger's first few years will nvr happen again. there was once i cannot tahan her nagging that i just plainly but tactfully asked her," It depends on wat is more meaningful to u lor? spending time w ur child or typing a report/set of meeting minutes for your boss?" she immediately kept quiet n shut up after that hahah...

we can apply npl till they turn 12 years? so old? i know it's a max of 3 years per child. I was working in the Grange Road campus though i've heard some good comments abt the Learning Vision at BV HQ...u keen on trying that? where do u stay?

i enjoyed my 3 year stint in HQ lots..learnt so much, to be more macro minded. after 7 years of teaching in a pri sch, can be a bit myopic at times...better than teaching? depends, long hours at HQ cos knock off only abt 6 pm everyday but u dun need to bring work home on most days n weekends. So i really like that...no lesson planning, no marking to be done, no writing of record book hahaha

gabby - by rite, they should not reject npl if u have genuine reasons cos now pro family mah...u considered pt teachign instead?

hopeac - i dun think u need to pay back 1 year b4 u resign lah...dun forget, we take no pay leh, it's not like we r bonded n they still pay us...not sure if male trs can apply npl though...u r a male?

hi Cheri,
NO lah. My hub teacher. Was thinking if I got a job overseas, can my hub take NPL.

As civil servants, you get a further 50 dollars off the LV fees. My son is in LV Arthur road..

Hi hopeac,

I think ur hub shd be able to accompany u overseas. Why dun u get ur hub to check with the school's AM or call up MOE HR Hotline / Email them. NPL can be granted for overseas studies too.

Gabby,

If u decide to take NPL, u need to inform ur P ASAP. Bear in mind that any NPL less than 6 mths, ur sch needs to get a RT, and the funds have to come from the sch. I heard of one sch tr who could not get her urgent NPL cos no more funds to engage RT. Longer than 6 mths u r considered no longer with the sch, so u might not be able to get back there.

Hi Cheri,

If I remember correctly, it's up to 12 yrs for each child. Email or call up HR to check (pm me for the contact) for confirmation.

Childcare is a big No-no for my HB. He says it's a concentration camp for kids so young due to the threat of diseases. Have u started playgroup for ur gal? I observe that if ur kid is the gregarious and sociable type, she may be able to enjoy going to CC. So I am more or less resolved to getting a maid who can help me out with household chores and babysitting her at night when I am busy with the marking.

Actually, come to think of it, if money is not a concern, it's good to stay at home during the formative years. We can always work till 67 years old to make up for the shortfall.

Working at HQ sounds interesting, but I hate to travel so far everyday, not to mention no school hols for HQ staff. I think I would rather bring my work home aft school to mark n play with my gal at the same time.

I stay at JW area, what about u? Is it possible that u re-apply for posting to HQ? U got to make up ur mind whether to extend ur leave or resume service n start scouting for good childcare.

Jane

Thanks for the infro. Hmmmm.... need to really check with HR for the length of npl I can take. I love my job but really need to take care of the homefront first

jane - my ger is 15 plus mths now. initially thot of starting her on playgroup next year then i can resume work since my npl ends this year. but after discussing wif other parents n frens, felt 18 mths still too young...so my hb has asked me to take 1 more year of npl. by that time, 2.5 years old, she should be able to talk better, self-feed, if possible toilet train a bit, then going to playgroup would be much better. i will still continue her JG lessons with her next year. it's fun to do mother-child programmes as it's a time for bonding between me & her too.

i'm staying in the west too..toh yi area. in fact, i meet up wif quite a few sahms regularly (almost 2-3 times every week)...we hv lots of fun bringing our kids out..Bot Gdn, Sentosa, Zoo, our homes, swimming etc...really enjoying my npl now ahhaah

I have friends who did that... the school had no choice but to give it to her. But she hinted about it to her school

Hi ladies,

Just came across this thread and i am also a pri sch teacher but did not tale NPL at all. That day then realise from my colleagues that NPL can olny take wen kids less than 3 yrs old! Mine both 4+ and 2+ liao! Thout of resigning but dun noe what to do and i need to work lor.... Teaching too stressful and really not worth! Any comment?

Hi ladies

finalyy I think I am thinking of quitting to look after my children full time. When is the best time to tender letter of resignation??

hi gabby

Thanks for ur info, but when i chked fr MOM website, like cannot leh... sigh... was thinking if i take NPL then quit, mayb dun nid to go back to svc... realli not worth staying in the line
sad.gif
somemore, my sch like not v understanding towards preg trs... sigh

Hi Jane, I only took one mth npl, if take more than one mth, bonus and dec pay will be drastically affected. I m back to work liao.

Hi micsarah, for npl, its applicable for trs who have kids below 3 yrs old or if accompany spouse overseas for job posting.

hi fellow colleagues,

You'd never believe this. My principal said we cannot take UPA and MCs on Monday and Friday. And the paid childcare leave has to be planned. It cannot be taken on the same day as you apply for it! I'm very upset. So can I apply for childcare leave one week in advance and give the reason as my child gonna have 39.8 degree celsius fever?

Hi all..I just came across this thread. Really informative to read all your postings here.

Wah Tulizz...how can we know when our child will fall sick?? That p is really unreasonable.

I'm on maternity leave now. Will have to return to school on the 8th week of term 1. So sian. Thinking of taking another 2 weeks of NPL so that at least i can come back in term 2.

Anyway, i was thinking of resigning in june as my bond will end during that time. Does anyone know where can i check to know the exact date when my bond will end??

Hi all.
Came across this thread.

I'm also on maternity leave now. Break up my leave. Took 1st 2 months from late Sept till Nov. Then school hols. Now taking my extended ML until end of the month.

Anyone knows about how the half-pay/full pay study leave works? Still eligible for 13th month or bonus? Am thinking of going for Masters next year.

Hi all!

Came across this thread before but stopped since it hasn't been active.

lynzi
u r teaching too?? I'm in sec sch.

enidmummy
u cn check that out in the moe website.

Do u realise that with the new Grow package, we are supposed to opt in or out? Thought it was gonna be the same for all. Anyway Lynzi, with the more attractive package, you should try to tahan a bit... try not to resign first esp after getting your Connect Plan payout. They are giving a higher bonus as well as higher Connect Plan deposit.

I heard from my friend who was helping with the repackaging in MOE that they are refining the salary structure. He did mention to us (teacher friends) not to quit yet.

He was a teacher before but then he quit and left for a Consulting firm.

Hope this helps.

hi to the teachers mummies here. Was wondering if anyone can help me with the medical benefit questions. I had heavy bleeding. My gynae said I need bed rest.But I oni have 14days Medical leave. Its really not enuff for a good bed rest. Do I have to be hospitalised to use my hospitalisation leave?Or can my gynae issue me a Medical cert saying Hopsitalisation leave then its considered as HL also? Any mummies here have any idea how these hospitalistion leave work?

Hi all,

I am a teacher and muumy too! Sometimes I wish I have a strictly 9 to 5 job. I am currently holding a few portfolios in school and I placed my bb with my mum. I try to visit my boy every weekday after work. On weekends, he is with me. I feel so guilty for not spending much time with him.

If I take care of him every evening, I cannot cope. I need to prepare notes, set exam papers and do admin stuff. He is coming to 3 mths now and he still wakes up 1 - 2 times nightly for milk.

What should I do?

huihui

can get yourself hospitalised first then the obs will issue a leave from there. That was what i did the last time...

hi mummies,

I'm posted to a school last May, but I simply hate this school. It always keeps me in school till 5pm or 5.30pm with workshops or whatnot, or make me work on Saturdays. I always get sprawled on the sofa or bed when I step into home. And I get scolded by the school attendant in front of kids just becos she's of the same race as the p and dm. I just can't wait to get out of this lousy school.

Is there a way to get out of this hell without taking no-pay leave or shifting house before 3 yrs are up? I can't imagine staying in this school for another 2.5 yrs more.

Hi, can someone enlighten me that if I take abt 1 - 2 year NPL and I decide to quit, do I have to work 1 mth to serve as 1 mth notice for resignation? Or I can just leave the force shld I decide to quit abt 1-2 y NPL?

hi all.. happened to stumble across this forum. I'm a primary school teacher.. now 15 weeks pregnant..
I am part of my school's management so I might be able to answer some of your questions.

For the new GROW package, we were all given a letter asking us whether we wanted to opt in or out. The deadline for submission is already over.

Rains, I know how it feels to hate the school that you're working in. I absolutely hated my previous school's principal, she was a real tyrant. I managed to transfer out after 3 years and she sort of blacklisted me, anyway I've been in my current school for almost 5 years and I'm so much happier. I actually do even more work now but my principal is reasonable and my colleagues are really nice. I believe that you can ask for a transfer after 2 years. Don't be disillusioned, time will pass quickly.

Blessed, I think that you will need to serve the 1 mth notice.

Hi all, anyone of u are in part time teaching scheme? I m taking 1/2 load. As 1/2 load varies across schs. Just wondering can share what does yr offer consists of if u are taking 1/2 load? For me, its purely teaching periods.

hi rains,

this is what a fren did.. She went to the police post to change her address, though she did not move to that address. So with that, she was posted to another sch..

Since you're prob 1 year into service, so if you can, tahan for 1 more year, then you can log on to PM2S to get a posting out

hi 2nd baby,

i am thinking of doing 1/2 load as well.. Did you have to discuss with your RO & P? Like you, i wld like to do purely teaching.. Do you have to attend staff meetings and in-house trainings/workshops?

Transfer??? Your P is the final decision maker UNLESS the reason given is change of address... I tried asking for a transfer last yr because I absolutely loathe my school aft 8 long years in it but was strongly advised against it (by my P, who else?)... was promised the skies and the heavens if I agree to stay on BUT wat happened in the end... status quo... I still dislike my sch but wat to do??? Now, even more demoralised aft being passed over in the latest promotion exercise.. so sad.
Resigning is not an option cos of financial constraints.

hi freshpoison,

i know of someone else who actually went to see the MP to push for a transfer as the P blocked the transfer.. So the letter went to MOE's HR & the P couldn't do anything abt it, coz HR wld have to respond to the MP.

Need to rant

I am doing 2/3 load. with 30 periods (full load = 35 in my school) + CCA + Committee duty!!! Sigh.

Can negotiate? Then they will tell you sorry but we need your help! We are short of English/humanities teacher. Which SCHOOL has an excess???

Sigh I am not the only teacher right! I have been going back to school on my days off. It happens one every 2 weeks! now I feel like taking no pay leave!!

Previously there were only 2 teachers on part time scheme. Had a rosy time. Now there are 6. The deal we get is not as good as before becos there is not enough teachers.

3/4 workload = 27 periods, plus VOLUNTEER for CCA duties on ad hoc basis, plus co-form teacher.

2/3 workload = 22 periods, plus .....same as above.....

Not not to mention, if we have graduating classes, it means remedials loh.

Hi vivid

wow your school sounds better than mine...hahahaha...

look i have 30 periods + form teacher + CCA in charge + level coordinator + remedials + night duty (volunteer)

Sigh

<font color="aa00aa">i do eng lang and lit and my marking is killing me literally.

1 have 3 eng class and 6 lit classes. and 30 freaking periods. then there is tutorials on 2 days a week after class and then cca on wed till 6. and of course need to go for professional development courses.

on top of this, schs are forever having some big shot / function to organize.

really need to breathe.

i want to ask for transfer.. but i am afraid that other schools will be just as bad.
sad.gif
</font>

gabby,

looks like it wld be qt hard to find a sch with excess teachers.. EL &amp; Humanities tr are hard to come by, i think it's almost island-wide shortage!

is it possible to ask for 1/2 load?

hmm, 2/3 load still can be form teacher &amp; CCA IC? i think ur P has made it to his advantage.. Your workload's very heavy!

Back