Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Tamarind, Kira

have you tried cockroaches repellant?
available from NTUC

I seal my dustbin whenever there's fogging. Town Council will usually post a notice but sometimes they forget & I will see a whole family of cockroaches creeping from the dustbin, their escape route

Rainbow

aiya, no motivation for the child
parents must be very strict

Golden

hubby also said I 'meow'. So ungrateful! hey, I am trying to be thrifty for the family's sake. Everything must work within a budget.
Retorted I have to be 'meow' until he brings home more money

I will be angry if someone calls me cheapo in my face. **Punch that person** mentally of course
biggrin.gif

kira,
You heard about the Singapore trishaw rider, an old man, being bullied by british tourists ? They video taped the whole incident and posted on youtube. I think there is something wrong with their education system. They forgot to teach morals.

hippo2002, Rainbow,
The cockroaches come from our neighbour's house, so no matter what we do, also not much use.

Rainbow,
I worry for these "top students" when they grow up.

I myself makes lots of mistakes, so I will understand if my kids make mistakes. I want my kids to study because they are interested, not because I force them to.

Tamraind

my car used to be infested with cockroaches. Not sure why. We placed 3 repellants in different part of the car interior & the cockroaches disappeared totally with 1-2 weeks.

My mom said the repellant works for kitchen too, probably forced them to go somewhere else, another neighbour's house?
wink.gif

My house also have a lot of small cockcroaches whenever the management corp fog the place. Sealing the rubbish chute also no use, somehow they managed to come thru...

I think kids should be rewarded for the effort they put in learning, not just on the end results. We all have gone thru exams before and I think sometimes luck also play a role during exams.

hippo2002,Jesschan,
You got rubbish chute at home ? We don't have, we got common rubbish chute outside. The cockroaches crawl/fly in through the windows !!!

Jesschan,
I totally agree with you about rewarding kids for the effort they put in. My kids are still very young, but I will keep this in mind when they enter primary school.

Tamarind
I missed that story. I only read the headline on The New Paper - that the trishaw rider was angry and the tourists didn't pay. What happened?

JessChan
Yah, children should be encouraged to work hard and to learn from their mistakes, not be afraid of making them. As parents, easier said than done? I dunno...hope I don't morphed into someone draconian next year.

Tamarind

mine is a resale flat, got rubbish chute at home. previous flat is new, common rubbish chute near the lift

initially thought so nice to have rubbish chute at home, just dump quickly rather than acumulate rubbish & attract ants. we only cleared once a day because must make a special trip to the lift. But now another set of problem with chute at home

my resale flat has no storeroom. Pros & cons again. Used to complain big storeroom waste space...now where to keep our bulky items?

JessChan

I find sealing rubbish chute effective. You must keep it sealed till the next day

I am very result oriented. My biggest shortcoming in parenting!
I get frustrated too when teachers said my girl is not attentive in class. Although I don't cane her but I will give her a stern lecture whenever I heard such comments from teachers

kira,
3 tourists squeezed on the trishaw. They laughed at the old man who was struggling to pull them. Then when they got off, they refused to pay the fare. One of them videotaped the whole incident and posted on youtube. This video became famous and many people are angry with them. I feel very sad for the old man who was humiliated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=490946&in_page_id=1770

I think it's easier to be a lazy parent than a parent who is very hardworking at making their kids study hehehe

hippo2002,
OIC. I actually prefer rubbish chute to be outside, less smelly hehehe

hippo2002 > I also got the feeling of punching that person. Well, kind of hurting to use that word - not pleasant to ears. Felt meow still sound better
biggrin.gif

I got a free coverlook voucher. Rang to ask/reconfirm details + telling them I'm using voucher but model is my girl ....... they cheated!

I went down found a dif scenario. Put up my experience on web n posters call me cheapo. The meaning of their postings - I stupid, cheapskate, no brain, went pester ppl for freebies (I didnt. I rang b4 went down with the so call complimentary voucher - no min purchase)

That was the 1st x a complimentary voucher didnt give me what they promised. I know a lot of things in Spore r free with a catch. To avoid misunderstand n waste my time, I rang to check. They even said the person who answered my enquires was a part-time so meaning whatever she committed was wrong. Like that also can. Obviousy they at fault for misinterpretation/dishonest and still push blame to others.

Actually this matter I'm not that hurt already cos other mummy forumers said being cheapo (thirfy) is good. We save $$, make use of discount n sales, we dont behaved like spolit brats thinking $$ is endless n rather pay more for the same svc/item when a discount is possible.

tamarind > read about trishaw senior citizen at Stomp (the place I was called cheapo). Paddled 3 men n kanna bully + not paid!

golden,
You mean they posted in the Stomp forum calling you cheapo ? If I find that thread I will scold them for you.

Yah that old man very poor thing. He didn't understand english, so he didn't know that that the men were insulting him. But they cheated him of his well deserved earnings and posted in the internet thinking there was nothing wrong. I believe in retribution, and I hope that these men will get their retribution will they are old.

Golden

yeah lor, I don't believe in paying full price either. I only shop during sales leh. Very shiok if I receive a good discount. In fact, feel very proud of my resourcefulness in finding best deal for big ticket items

And always on lookout for lobang - redeem OCBC$ for restaurant vouchers, movies voucher. Use passion card for linkpoints when buying groceries at NTUC, can redeem ntuc voucher. I am voucher QUEEN
biggrin.gif

even holidays, I will scan through credit card promotion that are usually mailed together with the monthly statements. My best discovery so far: Sofitel at JB 2 night $100 only, cheaper than chalet in Singapore !

no choice lah, must save diligently for retirement, scared to eat grass at old age

Tamarind
Those guys are so insensitive. Think they'll sober up with their video being posted and condemned. But, I think they probably didn't pay 'cos they thought the trishaw ride was overpriced. But, wasn't the price agreed first and common sense anticipate a slow ride? Poor trishaw rider. If tourists don't want to be creamed off, they shouldn't go for touristy experiences.

Golden
If that's the definition of cheapo then I'm a cheapo twice over. We went for two free makeovers: for our two children alone and for our entire 3 generation family, took the free photos/CD and didn't order any extra. They packaged the makeovers as a prize that we won/a promotion that they have and we take them at their word. Don't think there's anything wrong or cheapo with that.

Indeed, the trishaw ride incident really a bad reflection of the tourists attitude....I believe what goes around and comes around...

Kid academic
Was thinking how we parents sometimes got so work out with the kid's carelessness in the exam....come to think about it, we adults at times make similar mistake but just in a different form....
Like going through scenario like what if I have done this....then......

CHEAPO
I really do not like the above word.I think one should not use that word at all.....That person can be by all means to be expensive but she is not accorded the right to call others such names...

Hippo
You are a smart saver...I used to be like that...but take up too much of my energy so learn to relax a bit .....

Kumon award

We attended the ceremony at NUS today. Gosh! feel so inferior, so many kids are doing 8 to 9 years more advanced than their school level

eg. a P3 boy completed Pre-University English & Maths. a K2 girl doing secondary school level & is the youngest record holder for all 3 subjects. She even went on stage to give a public speech. So impressive! jaw drop

I hope my girl is motivated by all these real examples. I don't expect her to be equally good as those kids. I am very grateful if she can be automatic in doing her homework

hippo didnt go out? I'm also trying to save as much as possible. u planning retirement, I afraid eat grass.

<font size="-2">P3 boy completed Pre-University English & Maths. a K2 girl doing secondary school level </font>
Sounds like real genius at work. Must b so amazing .... just like how I felt when I saw the kids scan read using GD method. They just turned 1 pg after another (just like browing a magazine). When ask them questions, they could answer correctly. Eye opening experience. Too bad my Sym doesnt enjoying my GD Reading programme. Thot I could communicate with her instead of guessing..... sigh!!

ths is the thread,
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost6402.aspx if got time, pls take a look at others' comments. Find the posters didnt really understand story n y I'm angry yet want to post n make me feel bad. <font color="0000ff">The most important question is the studio threatened to sue me but nobody bothered to share experience or offer advice. </font>

Golden
The two studios I went to were very professional. They were flexible with the subject (doesn't matter if it's the children or adult). They showed us all the shots taken and explained the prices/packages and gave us ample time to decide. In the end, when we chose not to take up any additional stuff, they didn't coerce, look upset or kick up a fuss. I'm really surprised at the photo studio you went to. I can understand your frustration after making an effort to clarify first and travelling all the way there only to find that the terms have changed. Dunno whether if you had not raised your voice, the ending would have been different? But, I would have been equally frustrated.

golden,
Those people who posted the comments were really insensitive. I think those who posted bad comments are most likely guys. There are some idiotic guys out there who think it is perfectly alright to hurt other people's feelings in the internet. Nowadays I mostly post in singaporemotherhood and another beauty forum, because people here are mostly women, who are so much nicer.

Don't worry about the studio threatening to sue you. They are just trying to scare you. Who will dare to do business with them if they anyhow sue customers ?

hippo2002,
Wow that's amazing ! I wonder why the press don't cover this story. Do you know what the parents plan to do for his future education ? He can probably enter university overseas. But if he stays in Singapore, he will not be allowed to skip levels.

Hello,

Seems like mummies are busy today...

My 4.5 YO gal going to start piano classes tonight...will update if it is good...

COACH bag...
For mummies who like this brand, it is really cheap to buy from US factory outlets..my hubby just came back from USA, and got me 2- only about US$180-200 per bag, full leather...so much cheaper compared to buying from S'pore shops...

This thread is so quiet these 2 days !

Fairyprincess,
Years ago I bought coach bag in California, yes it is cheaper than Singapore.

My girl just got back her report book yesterday from her nursery. Her social development has improved since the 1st part of the year
proud.gif

Any mommies got report book for nursery/kindergarten ? I wonder if every school is the same. My girl's report book has 2 major parts, one on social development, the other on intellectual development.

Any mommies planning to visit Hong Kong Disneyland ? Checkout jetstar, 2 adult and 2 kids airtickets total only about $650 ! Travel during Jan - Mar 2008.

FairyPrincess
My SIL will be going US soon. Very tempted to ask her to get one for me. But really hesitate because so many ppl taking Coach bag now. To me its just a trend like few years back, so many ppl taking Fendi bag but hardly see ppl carry now. Or maybe can save the $ to buy other "evergreen" bag?

Tamarind
My son's report will be done every semester.His class is montessori based. The teacher will give "improve", "average", "good", based on skills like walking in a line, pouring water from cup to cup, using small/big buttons etc. Nothing on social skills or intellectual development.

FairyPrincess
You mean the coach bag is cheaper than the price on their website? It is the factory outlet, not from the boutique? Can share with me which range of leather bag your hubby bought for you? Thought of getting the Bleecker leather or the Ergo leather. The picture on the website looks like the leather is those "smooth" type. I might get the bag scratch in less than 1 mth. Might get the cheapest one, coach ergo signature small hobo. US$198.

hippo2002,
Here's the link. Wow so fast all sold out. Yesterday I check end Jan still have.

http://www.jetstar.com/salefares-sg.html

pantone,
My girl's report book shows how well she understands shapes,colors,counting,etc. Also whether she can express herself clearly, seek others to play etc. Your son's montessori based assessment sounds interesting. He is in nursery now ? You plan to continue montessori until K2 ?

Hi mommies

Glad to be back. Been busy, tho my girl exams over. Getting out my Christmas orders, will be glad once it's done!

Will be going HK and also Disneyland there with my sis and her family, and my mum as well. Can't wait. My girl is very excited about the trip, but my boy still gong-gong one, donno what is happening. Maybe that's good also.

How does a Coach bag look like ah? I so velly suah ku type, I thot Coach was the big bus you take to malaysia. heh heh. What other bags are there ah? Not that I can afford any of them, but good to know, so when people talk about them, I not so blur! Thanks hor!

Fairyprincess
How was your girl's piano lesson? Did she enjoy it? Hope she likes it - beginning of a lifelong love?!
happy.gif

Hi Mummies
I use the cheapo word on myself at times..hehe..

fairyprincess/pantone
Yeah, cheaper at the factory outlets and the outlets look like normal stores.
But pantone, u can't find current designs there, mostly last season's or some designs they sell at the outlet. V difficult to tompang ppl to buy at the factory outlet.
Years back when I bot, they still gave me further discount...

C&C
www.coach.com
hehe

mommies

today NE line mrt staff 'caught' dd2. Said she must pay full fare....3 years old leh
think I must get her a child ezlink card

Tamarind

yeah lor, good lobang disappeared very fast!
Return flight left few dates but for departures, all sold out

<font size="-2">C&C: How does a Coach bag look like ah? I so velly suah ku type, I thot Coach was the big bus you take to malaysia. heh heh. What other bags are there ah? Not that I can afford any of them, but good to know, so when people talk about them, I not so blur</font>

tamarind said thread quiet .... I everyday got report except the disappearance some time ago. topic now is Coach I dont know anything just c this name in SMH & SB. I also thot coach (transport) until not long ago saw somebody carried a Coach milky bag .... suah gu (so aunty).

Is it just a trend or quality better den those LV, Bonia, etc? Cant afford too + no venues to show off!

Sch results not out so dont know yet. Only knew my son is the 2nd in class for Maths ..... 1st x! My intensive drilling really paid out!

Like to ask a funny question. Y'day afternoon, I saw somebody sculpting a dragon. As I didnt wear spec (lazy) so it looked like sand. I saw the ppl spraying colour on the dragon - was sculpted on the carpark floor, just next to a wake. Today, I found the wake/funeral cleared so was wondering what relation the dragon has with a funeral. Is it a giant incense or something with a special meaning? Another case of suah gu!

Hello mummies...

In Aus now for work...

PIANO LESSON
Yes, my girl enjoyed it very much (I think 4 YO kids enjoy everything leh...everytime I sign her up for some new class, she will say- very fun and want to continue)...the Piano school I sent her to is OSSIA (spin-off from Christophi)...30 min individual lesson weekly- after 9 months, proceed to grade 1...see how it goes

COACH BAG
Ya, hubby bought from outlet- one is a patent leather reddish brown tote, and another is suede leather light brown and gold patchwork bag...he also bought a matching wristlet- so all do not have the signature design (which is very obvious its a Coach)- the 2 he bought are not obvious and also full leather (not fabric), which is what I like...

Pantone- if you are not very particular re the design of the bag, then your SIL can buy for you, otherwise, she may not buy something that you like...

Tam
My gal report book during her kinderland days was based more on her developmental than academic peformance.....Everything they tick is good.....

Now, in pri school, everything is so academic based.This year, they will stream into different class based on p2 academic peformance, think two best class, a few average class etc....Quite stressful....

Golden
You must be very happy for your boy..I can feel your joy...

Holiday plans
Beside cnc going hk, anyone going anywhere else?
I am leaving for holiday right after the school ends, and extending it cos maid wanted to go home so I got no worry where to put her.....Blessing in disguise

Tamarind
You have amazing lobangs...next time must consult you before I plan my holidays!
happy.gif

Coach bag
Yah, I like those where the brands are not obvious...Think there are too many imitations around so some brands end up looking cheap and commonplace.

Golden
Congratulations!
happy.gif
Any rewards for him? I was reading somewhere that children praised for good results from working hard are less fearful of hard tests than children praised for being smart. Children praised for being smart would tend to choose easier tasks and tests next time so that there is less risk that they would show up as not smart. ;)

Rainbow
I heard its best to go into bands 1 and 4, where you'll get more attention.

We're going to Pasir Ris, Singapore, for our holiday... Am looking forward to it though. Am so pleased that the Escape Theme Park has a entrance fee promotion (from $16.50 to $7).

Facebook
Just registered for Facebook recently and am so happy to find a long lost college friend.
happy.gif
Wished that all long lost friends are there...not everyone's on it though.

Coach

Thanks to all you mummies for educating me on Coach. Thanks for the link, StyloBB. Wah, never knew they even had baby accessories! Can only drool lah!

Golden
Wow, congratulate your boy for me! Well done! If only my girl more zhenqi! Anyway, haven't got her report book yet, so donno how she did. Hope can pass lah!

hippo2002, kira,
Good lobang must act first, no time to think one :p

golden,
Congratulations to your boy ! You must be so proud of him
happy.gif

Rainbow,
Your girl is in a famous school is it ? That's why so stressful ?

Tam and all

Good morning....

Tam, I have just sent you an email....Yap, she is from a ok school in east coast, near the marine parade library....

hi Hippo

Morning Ladies
forgotten to reply ..... I rewarded my son with extra play time. Planned bring kids out today but due to above, felt no mood/sian liao!

Kira > how to register for Facebook, heard must get introducer?

Just passby Watson, found they selling Kodomo 70pc wipes at $1.95. Heard cheap but I already got many other wipes so better not stock up.

mommies

went to the children garden at Botanical garden. Interesting although quite small. We finished the whole track within 30 minutes. There isn't much of a playground

my kids love the fish feeding at another pond near the main entrance

Hi Mummies
Wed nite, went to Liang Court to eat at Tampopo Jap Rest. Whole place is under renov though....

Public Holiday but tiring day for me/hb! tending to the kids! But at least I managed to nap..hehe

Angelmum
What happened ah? How come cannot post? They ban u??

Facebook - U can create an account leh.. v easy ...

kira
I never quite update my Facebook... too lazy to.

tamarind
I read the Maids thread - I read the link u posted re salary. If I don't want to open account for my maid but save part of the salary and give it to her say, every 5 mths, and she is ok with it, is that acceptable???

Rainbow,
Just replied your email. I have been out most of the day, enjoying some time out with my hubby while the kids are at home with my mum.

Angelmum,
Oh dear your account suspended. Yes you cannot post anything to sell because you only joined in 6-2007.

I just register in facebook, don't need to be invited. You just try lah.

styloBB,
If your maid is OK with it and don't report to MOM, should be no problem. But you may want to have the agreement written down in black and white and have her sign it, so next time she cannot blame you for anything.

Went to the zoo yesterday, kids had a great time feeding the kangeroos.
happy.gif
We used to bring carrots to feed the goats and rabbits too. But, they've kept the rabbits and put up a sign that we shouldn't feed the goats.
sad.gif
So, we gave the carrrots to the zoo keepers.

StyloBB
Yah, my initial excitement about finding an old friend has tapered off siginificantly after finding out that my "friends", including dear hubby, is too busy.
happy.gif

Angelmum
Yah, how come your account keeps getting suspended? Never mind, Angelmum is a nice nick.
happy.gif

Hippo2002
Did you bring your own bread to feed the fish? Which entrance is that?

Good morning mummies

Anglemum
Just read your email this morning. Sorry, was late! Anyway, welcome back!

Hippo
My kids love feeding fish at the Botanic gardens too. Brot them last Saturday. Bought a loaf of bread there so they can feed to their hearts' content. Previously I used old/left over bread. But when my girl started feeding herself too, I thot better buy fresh bread. Now, I'm not sure who got more of the bread, my kids or the fish?!

Facebook
Eh, another suah ku question. What's that huh? Register then can do what? How to register? Got website to register?

Schools
Actually, even those 'normal' neighbourhood schools also getting quite competitive nowadays. Of course, I think top schools even worse! I think parents can help the kids by not adding extra pressure on the poor kids. So stressed already. How to have childhood like that?!

Tamarind
My son is in pre-Nursery/Dou Dou class. This is a playgroup for 2-3yr old. No N1 or N2 class.Theres no N1 class within walking distance around my estate, only PCF (for 4yr olds/N2) Moreover, we will be shifting house around mid next year.Jan next year, if we change school for him, during middle of the year, got to change school again.So no choice got to ask him to repeat the class next year. So he will be repeating learning "A" for "Alex is very angry, a a a a a "(phonics) again. If given a choice, I will not put him in montessori class again. I think 1yr for him is enough already. I hope he can expose to academic area.Actually I had secured a N1 place for him near our new house. But since our house is not ready, it will be a hassle for us to send and fetch him from school. So gave up the booking already. According to the staff from the school, the waiting list is quite long. If you give up, its very unlikely that I can register my son at the mid of next year. But really no choice leh.

C&C
What time did you go to Botanic Garden? They used to have concert during sat or sun at evening time. I dont know if they still have that or not. Always wanted to bring my son there. But its always raining or its too hot.

Hippo
How much is the childezlink card? My son is already 2yr 10mth.Used to carry my son when travelling at Mrt. I dont think he will dare to walk through the gantry himself.

pantone
If remember correctly, it's $6. I bought 1 for dd1 more than a year ago so can't really remember. Yet to get one for dd2

Kira
The pond that's near SSO concert. Lots of koi

Cowandchick
haha, good idea, bring a whole loaf!
I only brought 4 slices, really not enough. Kids pester me for more

Hi Mummies

tamarind
If I open an account, do I keep the passbook? If she wants the money, do I let her withdraw?
Anything for me is fine, just that to go and open passbook is quite troublesome ... I told maid I wl help her save the money, and not cheating her lah...hehe..

pantone
Yeah, twice we went Botanic Gardens and twice it rained....

styloBB,
I opened an account for my maid and let her keep the passbook, but she does not have ATM card. Every month I will ask her how much she want to put in her bank. Sometimes she want some cash to send back to her family.

If your maid agrees to the arrangement, then should be no problem.

pantone,
That montessori school is MMI ? I thought they should have a different class for older kids.

cowandchick,
I just joined facebook, don't know much about it yet. I think it is something like an address book. You can find network of real people. For example, I can find a network of people who graduated from NUS in 1992. Then you can join that network. You can do things like send people electronic gifts, poke people etc. That's all I know about fackbook right now.

kira,
Your zoo trip sounds interesting. I think I will bring my kids there this year end too. Because nothing much to do during their holidays.

Back