Any breastpump to recommend

mothertobe

I am due on Jun 05, and still decide which type of breastpump to use. Feedback given is Medela Electric Breast Pump is very good, but it costs $669. As I am not sure how long will I use it, so like to ask around? Any suggestion?

I use Medela Electric and it is good. You can just buy one pump maybe it cost S$100++ only. $600+ is with a bag and some containers included.

Hi mothertobe,

Medela Electric is different from the $669 one which is Medela Pump In Style (PIS). the price diff is not all about the extra bags and bottles. the motor is quieter, u can adjust the level of suction frequency and strength. Its a very good pump. i used mine for more then 1 yr aready.

Thanks Ladies for your feedback.

Hi Lai Yee, is the motor for Medela noisy? Does Metro carry such brand as there is Infant sale at Metro this week.

mothertobe, can u tell me which metro is having the infant sale? when will be the fair end?

Hi, am using both Medela and Avent manual, have been expressing fully for past 10 mths coz my baby refused to latch on.

Found Avent's suction stronger and produced more. After awhile, Medela seemed slower..

Avent's more portable so not tied to the motor. It's not as tiring as I first thought coz it's faster!

Dunno, just giving my 2-cents! Hope it helps..

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand..what buttons? If u r referring to the white round filter in the pump, it's not really a problem after you get the hang of it.

hi mothertobe,

my frens gave me an Ameda Lactaline breast pump which is an electric pump. the motor is not noisy and the suction power and cycle can be adjusted to your comfort. it is not widely available, unlike medela. you can get it at about $310 from the distributor called Euramedic.

ok, thk dat's what we'r both referring to. No, dun hv any problem with it. Altho when I 1st started using it, it kept popping out. Thk it was becoz I didnt fit everythg properly. After awhile, it was alrite.

i also read ratings in mag that Pigeon breastpump is gd. But a friend is using the manual Avent pump and has substantial qty each time. Can mothers pls share more esp the Avent pump which I thot of getting since it's now Great Spore Sale

hi pinkcitron
I am using Avent Manual Pump. Initially was a bit tough until my hands aching since my ss has not establish.

Nowadays, even though my ss is not that high, I find using the pump quite ok cos I dont need to keep pumping, just pump & hold most of the times.
happy.gif

Also, I feel I can control the strength better using the manual one. Havent try other brands though so no comparisons really.
happy.gif

Hi

I absolutely love the Avent Manual Pump. For my first baby, after 2 wks, each time, I could pump 10 ounce (both breasts). I like the massaging effect. One tip is...you don't need to keep pumping...just pump and hold as let the milk 'squirt' out. But one thing is, i should have gotten 2 pumps...then can pump both breasts at the same time. Cos, when I was pumping one breast, i had to hold a bottle under the other...(let down effect). :)

thks alot for e comments on avent manual pump, guess getting used to it is very important. will likely get this.thks

Hi,

Kiddy Palace is selling the cheapest avent manual ISIS pump @$59(with 2 4oz bottles). Since is on offer so no more 20% discount anymore.

Hi, notice that only Avent & Medela brands are more widely talked about here... How about pigeon brand.. isit okie... Me thinking of getting either Avent or Pigeon.. Should try to get it now since its the GSS rite.. :p

Hi, just to share my 2cents worth.
I also feed my boy EBM fully until he turned 1 yr 'cos he doesn't latch on at all. Used the Avent pump all the time,
Disadv: takes more time to finish both breasts (total 20-30 minutes)
Adv: extremely portable and quiet. I travel quite a bit for work, bringing it with me (along with a small sterilizer) overseas is a breeze.

But the valve popping out is indeed a problem, takes some getting used to and the other trick is also to change the valve quite regularly.
Any qn just call Avent @ 6391 9191 and they will advise you on what to do.
Recept is very friendly and knowledgable.
Btw, if your pump body break, you can also buy replacements parts at their office located at Gateway building (near Bugis).
Their after sales service is very good...

i use ameda too. find it good and effective. can pump both sides together,not too noisy, not too expensive!

I have 2 boys. Bought myself a Medela Pump In Style ($500+) & a Avent manual pump ($80) when my 1st boy was born 4 yrs ago.

When my 2nd boy was born this yr, I forgot to bring both pump & had to borrow 1 from the hospital when the milk came in on the 3rd day. The manual pump they handed me is a Kaneson ($33).

For someone who's used these 3 brands, I find the cheapest & the simpliest gadget the most efficient (& handy to bring around). No electricity needed, no small parts to worry about assembling, just 2 plastic tubes.

I have sold away both the Medela & Avent, & now use 2 Kaneson (1 in office & 1 at home). Don't know where else to buy it from, but the hospital.

Comparison in terms of quantity & speed to empty both breasts in 1 session:
Medela : 250-300ml in 15-20mins
Avent : 180ml in 25-30mins
Kaneson : 250-300ml in 15-20mins

Hope the above helps.

hi vivien
which hosp did u purchase e kaneson?
is it easy to pump? how abt compatible bottles to store e milk directly fr e pump?

Oh, additionally, I find it really easy to pump & it's small enough to pop it into my small handbag (in a ziplock bag of course). This is for night outs with gal friends, & when I do not want to be lugging bulky equipment around. I simply express & dispose (wasteful, but it is for 1 time only).

As for storage, I simply pour the milk from the tube to any bottles. I have a pix of the bottles (assortment) in my blog : timojo.blogspot.com

i would recommend Ameda. It's not noisy and gentle. So far i hv used Avent manual, Medela singe and Ameda dual. I don't fancy medela single the most cos it's noisy and quite harsh on the nipples. Avent is effective but it's tiring (even with the pump and hold technique) and takes a long time esp when ur ss is not established or not on the high side. I just tried out Ameda and the noise level is very low, suction can be control and it's not harsh.

i would recommend a new mtb to get a avent manual to try out first in the beg as milk ss doesn't come in that fast and as abundantly as expected unless u're one of those lucky ones. once u're more used to pumping and ur milk ss is more established then decide on which electrical pump u wanna get.

Hi

Now I am 5 mth preg. Want to get all the stuff ready during my 2nd tri.

I am not sure when should one start to get the pump. Now? or after deliver? I got concern that if I got low milk supply then I may go to formula. Then the pump will be wasted. though I wish to breastfeed my baby v much.

I heard good comments on Medela & have not seen Ameda at all. But I want to know what should I look into when buying a good pump? How do rate a good pump? By the noise level, ease of usage, weight, price? I really got no idea. PLEASE HELP!!

Hi weddingmoods,

I am not sure of Medela pump but I have been using Ameda since 5 years ago, other than the valves, the other parts are all still well and intact. I had lent it to a few friends and SIL during the times when I was not using. It is around S$265, can be battery operated and quite handy. the suction and speed can be adjusted accordingly to your comfort. noise level is really depend on individual, I found it quite OK, soft suction noise only.
happy.gif

weddingmoods, most important is whether effective in pumping out milk lor, then come ease of use and noise. The Ameda not that noisy, also can get at Mothercare. If anyone can lend you pump to try before you buy, that's best!

Just wanted to share that on Vivien's recommendation, I purchased a Kaneson pump from breastfeeding moms association and found it cheap and most importantly a breeze to use and clean. I have a Medela but it was not suitable for me. Looks like it is now for sale.

A breast pump must be easy to use and effective. It would be better if somebody can lend you a pump to try it out first. That's because a brand which works well on a person doesn't work on everyone.

Personally, I've been using Medela mini electric for the past 10 months. I've tried Nuk and it was a terrible experience - left me sore and in tears because of the tightness button which is hard to control - either too tight or no feeling.

after going thru the postings, im v keen to get the kaneson pump too. anyone knows whether it is avail at TMC pharmacy now?

Medela Pump In Style is really good. If you don't know how long you will use it you can rent from them. You can call up Medela office. I lost the brochure. Will post the detail if I find it.

Does anyone have any comments on Pigeon manual breast pump? Thought of buying it but also thinking of buying the kaneson pump too since so many ppl recommend it. So dont know whether Pigeon breast pump is better or kaneson breast pump is better. Pls advice. Thank you

It doesn't matter what pump u use as long as it allows u to express the desired amount of EBM. For me the Avent Manual Pump works fine. I've become so familiar with the parts that it takes me just seconds to assemble everything and pop it in two ziplog bags (2 pumps + bottle) and go to work. It also helps that I use the milk bottles as well.
Might try the Kaneson sometime if its really as effective. Don't know whether I'd get used to the Piston pump

It doesn't matter what pump u use as long as it allows u to express the desired amount of EBM. For me the Avent Manual Pump works fine. I've become so familiar with the parts that it takes me just seconds to assemble everything and pop it in two ziplog bags (2 pumps + bottle) and go to work. It also helps that I use the milk bottles as well.
Might try the Kaneson sometime if its really as effective. Don't know whether I'd get used to the Piston pump

hi, i'm also using the avent manual pump. takes 10mins each side each time. i think its handy and good, not like electric, has to find power supply.

heard about kaneson too, maybe will try if this one spoilt.

pump does matter alot. if you gotten a pump that causes lots of pain like tollyjoy, u wont enjoy the joy of breastfeeding. choose the pump tt suits you, and homework like sourcing a good pump makes breastfeeding a joy.

i was using tollyjoy till i changed to PIS

Is there a difference between PIS original and advance? In case I buy the 'wrong' one.

I think many of us are held back by the cost of Medela PIS. Despite reading every single thread and reviews on breastpumps, we still couldn't decide on manual, single or dual electric. Hubby reluctant to invest in case no milk to pump and for me to pump in office's toilet later on. He rather baby have FM than have his food made-in-toilet.

I don't know if it's wise to go step by step; manual, then single electric and finally dual electric if milk ss establish. I guess that's what some of us are wondering and there might be no definite answer to it.

i am hvg a headache tryg to decide on which brand to get. many mixed comments on the various brands of the pumps. so far only the medela PIS got the best feedback, but same like JennyN, not sure issit wise to invest in such an exp pump when i dun even noe will hv milk supply anot...

crystallized,
same same. I'm now considering Medela Mini E (electric dual pump) and Ameda electric dual pump. I'm held back by Medela cos of the noisy motor. I think most probably will get Ameda cos price more reasonable.

weddingmoods,i have been using ameda for 3 yrs. its a gift from my godsis.however,most of my office colleagues also using and we all love it too.
one good thing, u can actually attached with the glass bottles that you take from hospital and express directly into them.then put in the fridge.
Coz the glass bottle at most can hold abt 90ML so its good for newborn when you want to store.Glass cleaner too.

Hi all,
just wondering that those mommies who are BF and working, where do you all go to pump your BM? Cos' I am also having the same worries as JennyN that I may have to hide in the office toilet to pump... worried that its not hygenic...

I am using PIS Advanced. Since I have not tried any other brand, I can't do a comparison.

I can't really express a lot of milk using the PIS. Is the machine or is it my milk supply? Does anyone have the same experience?

Also, if I use the dual pumps, I can't adjust the power of the suction at all. I feel so handicapped. Now, I only pump one breast at one time so that my other hand can move freely.

Do your nipples hurt after using breast pumps? Mine do.

i have not tried the Kaneson pump. However if u buy the medela's PIS or electric dual, it comes with a manual piston pump too. But after using electric for so long, i found the manual too tiring and troublesome. i suppose for all pumps it takes time getting used to.

missk,
its the milk supply. one can get let down pretty fast esp when both breasts are being expressed at the same time.
if your nipples hurt, the suction is too strong oredi.

Back