Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

nellu, me kapo, want to join u gals in facebook. Have just pm u my email address for u to add me as friend as my starting point .. keee.e.ee

Tamarind
haha, same here, my weakest point, soft-hearted so every maid who failed me is a blow to me. Chin Chum...cannot take heart break...
sad.gif
Will have to learn to be harder next time.

Hi Tam, I agree. Now, as long as she does her job, I don't want to pick too much. Yesterday, mil told me that she told the maid off something, and the maid although took her instructions but like angry. Then asked me will she kill someone. Sigh... I told mil that maid also human being, also got temper mah. Just don't bother too much. Cause I know my mil sometimes really very lor soh, and can be irritating also.

I agree with you. If a maid got no common sense, no matter how you teach, still no common sense.

Precious, I also very soft-hearted one, but after changing to my 6th maid, I started to know how to scold and be stern already. I treat them well, but don't do funny things to me. After the 10th maid, I tell you, I already immune liao. NO FEEL anymore. Luckily, my current on ok. I'm more worried she will ask for transfer because of my mil. :|

Hi Tam/JC Chew

You know what my sil told me just now?Even maid does something wrong, cannot scold them infront of guests, cos they have pride....not also things like one order maid to bring water bottle to the baby....

She also said, from day one, must make maid to start cooking...to me, its like loading her so many things at one goal right...

Chole,
According to the maid, the contract ended and she wanted to go back to spend some time w the daughter. But according to the employer, he wasnt going to renew her contract anyway because of the lingerie thing, even though he didnt know if she brought men home or even had a boyfriend.

Tamarind,
I dunno, really, if I will have a maid who has boyfriends. One of the girls I'm considering is very pretty, and she's only 24. Sure got guys chase her one. But I can't exactly stop her, can i? So I figured, if I hire her, I won't care except to specify that she is NOT to bring anyone home without first asking me. If ever found to do so, she'll be fired immediately.

Twiggy
The maid won't be scared if you fire her, knowing that she will be returned to the agency. If she really has a boyfriend, she will be more worried if you tell her that she will be sent HOME regardless she has any outstanding loan. This might work a little.....but if she's just flirting around, nowdays, maid wouldn't care unless she is serious on making $$ here. There's alot of guessing game between the employer and the maid.

Before you engage her, you must search your heart to ascertain that you are comfortable with her lingerie thingy....otherwise, you'll be paranoid over her behaviour and movement which is not healthy for you and your family.

This is my feel for your consideration.

Someone told me this. Filipino maids are "xiao jie". They dun like to be scolded. The more u scold her, the more rebel she became.

I dunno how true is this.

Maids having boyfriends....

Actually, I don't mind if my maid has a boyfriend. If she really meets a good man then I would not want to stand in the way of her happiness.....BUT......these maids seem so immature, they are lazy and don't care about their work - I really doubt they could do their job properly if they have a boyfriend. I can just see that she would be sending off secret SMS and sneaking out to meet him and wasting all her money on phonecalls and gifts etc. And yes, I would not want to have some strange man in my house or lurking around my house. Even worse if they break up. Gosh...the tears and nonsense, nothing would get done.

If my maid shows me that she is responsible and hardworking then ok...but I have not experienced that before so....

I'm not worried about her getting pregnant or running away though. I buy bond insurance. If she decides that she wants to run and go and work at Orchard Towers then that's her problem and her life.

Twiggy,
On having sexy lingerie...I think that's subjective. My maid wears really lacy coloured bras...is that considered sexy? To me, I just think it would be uncomfortable for her to work in it. Sexy lingerie to me would be the "hooker" type...see through black g-strings and see through bras...then I would think she was prostituting herself.

twiggy
ur last post reminds me of my maid, after her contract ended with the previous owner, she says she wants to go back home n spend time with her son. but within half a year later, she is back to sg, looking for job. i hired her.. now thinking back, if she is sooo good why can't she call back her previous owner to direct hire her (so tat she will not need to pay the loan of $2k?)

Twiggy

My experience with maid is that they can come out with many reasons if they want to go back or change employers...use your gut feelings...am sure the current employer not going to hire her just cos of the lingerie thing...if really that case, she should have been sent back long time ago.

My maid finally pass her english test on her second tempt but not bringing her home yet as she is down with a cold. Spoke to her on the phone and quite surprised that she speak good mandarin which is not specify in her biodata....will see what is next....

Chole, many agent also told me that ex-sin maid cannot be scold. Can tell them, be stern with them, but cannot scold. I always believe that all maids have pride, cause they are all human beings. So when I ask my maid to do things, I will say things like "thank you", "sorry", etc. Even when I want to sort of reprimand her on something, I will talk to her in a jovial manner and tell her what she should do and not do. But I have my limits too lah. If the maid is that stupid to follow instructions and do the same mistake again and again, I will also be stern or scold her. But that's very seldom.

Twiggy, actually I have quite a few pretty maids before. But I feel that whether they want to do such things, as in having a bf, it's really their character. I mean even those average looking maid also has the tendency to have bf mah.

Babycutie, it has been a common knowledge that phil maids has more pride than indo maids. And personally, having so many maids, I do see it myself.

Liana, I agree on your part of buying the runaway bond. Every maid I have, I rather spend the small amount to buy then to compensate 5k later on.

Ask you girls something. My mil recently has caught my maid a few times throwing temper. Although not to my kids or at my mil, but she showed her anger by throwing my children clothes on the sofa, or do things in a puff.

For eg, this morning, my son hasn't been well and he wanted to go into the maid's room which is also his playroom. But the maid drag him out cause my mil always try to get the kids in the living area cause the room can be quite stuffy at times. So my son being unwell, cried and tell the maid she don't understand what he say. My mil come in and asked my son. Then was told that he's feeling cold and want to stay in the room. Then while my mil pacify him and get him the blanket, she saw the maid behind her throw the children clothes on her sofa bed and venting her anger.

I know my mil sometimes can be a pain, but I beleive what she does she meant well for my kids. And she has always been observing the maid's behaviour for me.

What you all think about the maids attitude? She don't show us black face or what infront of us also. But when she sees no one around, she will also act. Like my mil caught her lying on the sofa (lying back and relax position) while my son keep asking her to play and she just use her mouth to talk loudly to him, which I think she meant to let my mil who is in the kitchen (cannot see her) thinks that she is taking care of my son.

JChew

I was very nice to my ex exsin maid...ended up she was beyond control...can call me a, xiao jie, can buy phone card for me...etc....I did not even hear a word sorry from her when she did something wrong during her two years contract with me...she has lots of pride....

I learned and the next maid, am going to draw a line....

I think your maid do not like kids....

Chole, I understand, I also experience such unappreciative maid.

My current maid also have a son herself. And although she's been with me for a month, I've bot her cloths and even clothes for her son to send back.

My intention is very clear, I treat you well cause I expect you to treat me and my family well. And I also told her that. I don't really chit chat with her like a friend, but try to treat her nice enough lor. But sigh...

Patsy, the problem is, I wasnt there when it happen. And we din want the maid to think that my mil complains to me about her. As she needs to go to my mil's house with children on weekdays.

Hi JChew, I think seriously you will need to consider what yr MIL is telling you. If by now, she can observe so many things, then there must be something to look into. My mom dont complain much with my maid right at the start, only once in a while, but the things she complained, can tell its those minor things. So I gave the maid the benefits of doubts. Now that they dont face each other, relationship is also better and I also feel better.

I had a feeling that your maid didnt want to go to yr MIL house and that's why her behaviour is like that. I have one maid also did nice things in front of me and behind at my mom's plc, all sort of rebellious actions. You need to really look into this. My thoughts anyway..

Twiggy,
I also thought the same way as you before. That it is OK for the maid to have boyfriend.

But the problem is, my ex-maid has many boyfriends in the neighbourhood. That time she walked my girl to school everyday. She can meet her boyfriend along the way. She is putting my girl's safety at risk. So I sent her back as soon as I found out.

After this incident, if I suspect my maid to have boyfriend, I will sent her back. Better be safe than sorry. You cannot watch the maid all the time.

Hi Eileen

I'm really lost also. As I was telling you all about she's quite a good maid, now I have such things happening.

Actually, alot of times, the incident revolves around my children. Like when my children is playing together and she's not careful enough to avoid accident, or when my son happen to hit her when he throws temper.

JChew
You've a tricky situation there. May be you bring your maid (just the two of you) out for a good lunch and tell her that you appreciate her quite good work so far. Perhaps also say you feel lucky to hv her around to help you out, unlike your friends/colleagues maids who throw tantrums, black face, rude to MIL etc. Tell her that if she one day, become like those horrible maid, you will be upset/disappointed. Then you said that you noticed that your son accidentally hit her when he's angry, apologise and tell her, he's just a kid, so ask her to bear with it for a while. When he's bigger, he won't do such things anymore and hopefully she's still around to help you.

Try this method lor, and then ask MIL to monitor. If she's smart she gets the message, but if she's one of those so called term "no common sense" maids, then you have to have your family interest first.

Do you think it is workable....just my thought cos I don't how your maid is like.

jchew, she's been with you a month right? maybe you can sit her aside one day and tell her it would be nice to do a first month assessment and keke ask her how she feels working for you? tell her she must be honest and if she doesn't tell you if she's unhappy, and why, then you'll never know and can't help her. Try to ask her first before you give her your comments so she won't be on the defensive. Like precious says, try to explain that your son is young and don't know what's right and wrong yet, and maybe speak to your son nicely in front of her that it's not nice to hit people, blah blah so she can see that you don't condone such behaviour (don't have to do this as in on purpose scolding your son but try to do it nonchalantly and simply so she also won't get big headed) If her housework is ok, then a bit sayang to loose her if the situation can be rectified, right? By the way, try not to spoil her to much by giving her material things too early, they will take it for granted, do it on milestones (ie.after 6 mths, her bday, etc) This also serves as a reward that she has performed well rather than sort of a bribe (hope you get what i mean) If she's Filipino I don't mind speaking to her, if you want.

Hi gals!

Must share with you this. I was with hubby and 2 kids at Vivo on Wed. Brought my kids to toy r us. I noticed 3 malay 'boys' disturbing kids and trying to hook up maids. I dont think they were local. more like indo. one of them finally hooked up one maid minding 2 kids aging 5 and 6. The maid was so vain. Can really see her enjoying the conversation with that guy. The 2 kids of course did not know who they were as they were poking and playing with them. Guess what .. the maid walked away and the guy followed her right to the toilet beside the store! I totally freaked out for 2 two kids! Hubby and I looked for a security guard and told him what happened. Really scary! seriously, the maid asked for the trouble. If she was molested or raped, I wouldn care less. I was worried for the 2 kids.

Hello ribenagr8s, sometime ago, I also witnessed a maid happily enjoying her conversation with a foreign construction worker at a corner at the supermarket. I already cannot stand it. But the maid that you saw was 10 times more vain than the one i saw. Argh....what can these "boys" or "construction workers" offer them??? Love? Money?

ribenagr8s/eileen10
Gee, sorry to say that I think the maid asked for trouble should anything happen, and I'm very concerned with the 2 kids. Where're the kids'parents?? If the parents were not present, perhaps the maid arranged for the 'boys' to be there so that she could have a 'quickie' while the other boys look after the 2 kids.

My ex-20yr old indo maid told me that her 1st employer live in a condo. As such, she got to chit chat and knew a number of maids. She told me that the maids showed her photographs of the other maids in bra and panty only, all taken in Singapore. She gave me the look of disapproval. She pretended to be the goody one, told me that she didn't like guys blah blah...but each time I brought her out, I saw her looking at other guys and when it comes to eating in food court, wow, she ate so slowly with her eyes moving, again eyes fix on guys. Later, I found out that she was a run-away maid and I quickly sent her away. This was the maid whom we found a raw carrot (about 5 inch) turned brown, in her bedroom... Gosh... wonder what she did with it!!!! (My maid has a bedroom to herself).

Hi Precious and Patsy

I actually did a review on her performance just 2 weeks ago. I asked her if she has problem working here and whether she has settled down well. And she told me that she is happy here and everyone treats her well. I also particularly asked her about my mil and she also told me my mil treated her nice.

Then I told her things like mil can be very demanding when it comes to the kids and so little little things my mil also will be very kan cheong. I explained to her that she's old and old people always have their own theory, so whatever mil ask her to do, just follow her way and won't have problem. Then I also say that my kids are active and naughty, and of course, during her care there are times that they fell or injured. I told her I totally understand but mil will be heartache to see that. I asked to be in mil's shoe and think if her kids where taken care by someone and got injured, would she be happy? But if she is the one taking care of her own kids and they got injured, how will she feel? Then she tells me she understand and explain in her own way to me about the same thing.

I also told her things like we have no problem with her work and we think she is doing well. And if she has any problem, she can always let me know and I can try to help her out. I say I hope she can continue to be like that and we'll be happy. And also at the same time I explained a little about my hub and my mil's character to her. Finally, I told her that I treat her well and I also hope she could treat my children and family members well.

Overall, the conversation went well and I don't see that she has any unhappiness. It's only recently that whenever my mil tell her things she start to not answer although she follow with action. Tmr I'm going to find a chance to talk to her again to ask if she has any problem working for mil, cause I'm those type that if you are not happy and have intention to leave, I will let go type.

My last resort would be to get the agent to talk to her. But I'll see how's my talk with her tmr. Maybe this time round, I'll leave it to her to talk and see if she will leak any info out to me or not. Sigh....

Precious!!! I am laughing so loud and nearly fall off my sofa! 5 inch carrot in her bedroom!! Hahaha! Silly maid - why she choose such a small carrot!?

Ribena / Eileen,
Don't be shocked...one of the Filos in my neighborhood got sent back recently for solicitation on her off day. She was allegedly hanging out at Hard Rock Cafe on Sunday afternoons (maids disco called Tea Dance) and earning a few extra bucks from angmoh tourists. She charged $50 a pop. One of my neighbor's told me about it last week.

That maid at ToysRUs would have charged $10 for a quickie in the toilets. Apparently the rates are quite set amongst the foreign worker population. There are some maids who will do it for free too....well, maids are humans too and have their sexual needs...it's just too bad they are not very careful or choosy and will hump almost anything with 2 legs and a *****! I've never believed that maids are very discreet anyway.

My colleague found condoms in the maids room after she had run away. At least she was practising safe sex is all I can say.

eileen,
Foreign workers got dick loh... hahahah

Precious,
I tried searching for the parents. Maybe they left the maid and kids there to do some shoping, thinking that a toy store is a safe place!
a raw carrot! yucks... I cant imagine! She is too horny. Have to agree with Liana, it is too small! hahahahh

liana/ribenagri8s

The length of the carrot, I estimated one lar, it could be longer or may be shorter, cos it was spotted from my hubby who was at the living hall and he saw something "wierd" beside the maid's mattress so asked me go take a look. When I saw the turning brown carrot, I called for the maid and asked her why is this half cut carrot doing in her room? She went to pick it up, smile at me, and threw away. No answer. I won't want to pick it up myself, thankfully, she was around to pick it up. Do you ladies think that she could have eaten a raw carrot half-way????

Precious one

I feel disgusted when I read that....

Hey, can I check with you mums, will you collect your maid from the agency when she is down with a flu....am quite concern as i have young kids at home and flu bug is an epidermics now...thanks

Chloe
No way I'll collect the maid if she is unwell. LIke what you say, flu bug is an epidermics and little children's immune sysem is not so strong yet. It spreads easily among children.

Chloe
If you have to collect the maid urgently, then ask maid to wear mask and that mask has to be changed frequently. She has to wash her hands thoroughly before she touches your kids. But again, maids need to be reminded over and over again cos they do not know our hygiene standards here.

precious one

Thanks....I leave her in the training centre now..which I have no choice..I also leaving her there means more chance for her to mingle around with other maids...just hope nothing happens...

Chloe
Yah, you leave her there to mingle with those transfer maids, also rather risky. Just cross your fingers that she's not those "light ear type" and pick up all the wrong habits.
sad.gif

precious one

yah man...just called the agency and they will check whether she is well already or not....I told them to let the maid sit at the agent office if she is not too serious...I will collect her only if she is fully well.

yikessss ... the carrot incident is jus gross!!!

If i hv the chance, will take pics of those cleaners/construction workers "ambushing" the maids while they are fetching the young ones from school. Then i post online at the threads of my estate!! Hopefully those employers happened to see it.

precious,
hehehe...I don't thk your maid eats the raw carrot half way. She would have answer you when you asked her what is the raw carrot doing in her room. Instead, she pick up to throw away with smiling face.... Sounds kinky to me....

Chloe,
I won't collect the maid till she is well. Don't want the flu to spread in the family.
Just pray that your maid is those "mind your own business" type....

Babycutie

Thanks. I guess kids health is really more important than collecting maid.Anyway, by 6pm, I still did not get to hear update by the agency...so let it be...afterall, me have been maidless for about four months...no difference she come in later or now....just like what you say, hope she knows how to mind her own biz.

Hi,

Hope to join in discussion on maids, as i am a 1st time employer so lots of thing to learn from you all. Also hopefully can learn about their tricks and ways to counter them, lol.

Hi lostinthots,
I remember reading about your maid in another thread. How is she doing? Did you give in to her requests?

Mummies,
In one of my rare chit chat sessions with my maid last night I came to realise that she hangs out at Lucky Plaza every Sunday!!! Urrrgh...I had to ask whether she is friends with those maids that wear heavy make-up and dress like prostitutes and she said "no ma'am". Then I asked if she goes to Hard Rock Cafe "disco" and she told me she has been before for her friend's birthday!!! I wonder if she changes her clothes after she leaves the house....

Liana,

Now I'm starting to say no to some of her demands.

Hello Precious!

I need some advise:
Recently she complained of having some rashes on the abdomen which is itchy. She saw I have one tube of anti-fungal cream and asked me to give her to apply. Since my hubby is using that cream, i gave her another brand but same properties. Then today she showed me the lesion (quite big) and said the cream is finishing but still very itchy so she kept scratching and scratching. I told specifically not to scratch but she kept saying very itchy. I worried coz don't know what that patch is and will it affect us since she kept scratching. Before this when asked she claimed that she had this only when she arrived in s'pore (with previous employer)but today asked again, then she said since last time already had. Husband said to bring her c dr. How? Should I?

lostinthots,
It's probably not a fungus she's got that's why the anti-fungal cream is not working. It's either a bite or an allergy. The Dr will just give her hydocort. Cortisone cream. You can buy for her first from pharmacy. Ask her to apply 3 times a day and I'm quite sure it will go down. If the legion persists then no choice must take her to see doctor already.

lostinthots
The flu medication that we get from doc. for flu (small yellow tablet) is good for itch. Another medication "polarax" is also good for itch. But these two medication may cause drowsiness. If she uses the cream that Liana suggested and the medication, most likely she can heal faster. Otherwise, best see a doc.

liana, precious,

ok, thanks. already got her the cream. i also have the flu tab, i think it is piriton.
hopefully she will heal faster but since chronic already, just hope for the best.

Hi,
I am planning to get a maid to help out with housework and my two kids. Went to this maid agency Inter Mares at Lucky Plaza. Anyone tried this agency before? Any comments?

This is my first time employing a maid and would appreciate any advice.

TIA

lostinthots,
Welcome.
Piriton causes drowsiness. Do u thk it is the washing powder? She may be allergic to some substance which is found in the washing powder. I am just guessing only. If her itch doesn't goes off after the medication and cream, better bring her to the doctor. It might be something else.

Elmo,

I haven't tried before. But there is a mummy (very long time ago) said her maid is good (from inter mares). It all depends on your luck. But I thk maids there usually want off day and their pay are high. Most of them are experience maid.
If u search their website, all resumes of the maids are well written. So I really dunno is it they oversell the maid's ability or it is true.

U will only know when they work with you.

Babycutie,

I need an experienced maid so went to Inter Mares as they seem to have a lot of experienced ones. But their fees are very high. $590!!
Dunno worth paying so much anot.
If we dun like maid and want a new one got to pay $250 for each transfer. They are much more expensive than other agencies and got to pay for more stuff like no free transfer if we dun like maid. I tried calling other agencies but they only got new maids. They say try to find experienced ones for me but never call back!

Back