Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

LV,
u are currently using the ex hk maid? I wanna understand more abt them working in hk so i can tell her straight how different its working in sgp. I shd also ask my ph fren to tell her how sgp is like.

san,
yes, currently the ex hk maid still with me.
when they want to come over, they'll sound very oblinging n nice.
i told my maid all these on the phone when i interviewed her. dunno is it she's too comfy with me that's y stupid enough to make the complaints to me. But one thing for sure, she always plan to go back when contract ends and constantly on the lookout for better opportunities elsewhere in western countries.
they will see themselves at better market value because they work in places like HK or TW before. Think they use HK as a yardstick for good experienced maid.
If u can speak to her previous employer, it's better. Actually i will do a testimonial for my maid when i send her off cos she's quite ok other than her high n mighty self.

lostinthots,
i was also told that to work in HK they need to pay an infront amt themselves (S$3k plus) or the employers(i;m not sure)

milkmilk,
thank i'm in same situation as u in terms of sending off the maid.
if i'm not wrong, your maid completes the loan period. if she chooses to go back not transfer out, we need to pay her air tix. But if we buy air tix to send her away ourselves, there's a chance that she may not want to go back and kick a fuss. i prob will send her back to agent n let her decide herself if go back or transfer.
i think if the maid did not do serious deeds, it's ok to transfer her cos everyone has their diff ways of handling maid. maybe your maid will be better behaved with the new employer?

milkmilk,

tink of it tis way, if u guys tsf her, u'll b subjecting another employer 2 her tactics again. isn't tt even bad karma? esp if d employer gt kids?

milkmilk,

I can understand your dilemma. What LV advised is true, they can really kick out a big fuss if they refuse to go back. Some cases involved police or worse their embassy. If you think that her general attitude is so so (correctable)but only not up to your standard then can send her back to e agent but like what vone said, if really bad then better send back rather let the next unsuspecting employer suffer.

What i can see is that most of them very good / hardworking when they 1st arrived, then will slack after few weeks. I reprimanded mine few times yesterday for repeating mistakes eg always leave food unattended / uncovered - can be overnight as i had purposely observed before, watch tv when nobody at home, hanging broom / mop protruding outside service balcony windows.

For mummies who have babies and toddlers under the age of 3, please read today's Mind Your Body, page 18...Don't Shake your baby.

Extremely violent shaking for 5 to 10 seconds of a infant could cause severe damage (shaken baby syndrome) like bleeding in the retina or brain.

Please educate your older folks supervising the maids as well, ask them to be watchful over the maids when handling babies and infants. For those, who leave them with maids only, please educate your maids directly.

Hi all,
The following is written by another employer. I am helping to post here.

<font color="0000ff">I VERY STRONGLY advise all Singapore employers of FDWs <u>NOT</u> TO TAKE ex-HK maids. I had the bad experience . My FDW who ran away to the Indonesian Embassy was ex-HK. Worked there less than a year, and claimed the employer was migrationg to Canada. I see the same reason cited in the threads in the Singapore Motherhood Portal. My ex-HK FDW spoke very good Cantonese, but was the stupidest and slowest of all the maids I have ever had. From Crislo. But when she ran away, she stole toiletries, 2 bags of dried mushrooms, some nice chopsticks, and my personal file from the closed cupboard in my study.

The ex-HK maids all have agenda when they come to Singapore. They cannot change employer in HK (this fact is stamped in their passport). So when they get fired, they come to Singapore. And they all sing the tune that their employer is migrating to Canada. Please be aware.

I was at Crislo's yesterday because my current Indon FDW (from Crislo) has asked for the third time in three and a half months since she came , to go back to Agency because I scolded her yesterday for her mistake. She had accidently(?) pushed the "on" button of the air-con in the attic and left it on for 2 days !!!I Chri* again was trying to push me another ex-HKL maid . And there were at least 10 Indon FDWs sitting in a row outside the Peoples Park office, all wearing the pink Crislo T-shirt. They were all transfer maids. Crislo's rate of retention of maids is getting lower and lower. Chri* herself told me yesterday that "nowadays, maids are like that". Why should they be "like that"? I don't accept this statement. Please spread the word not to take ex-HK maids. </font>

precious_one,
My ex-maid number 3 also like to shake my baby to sleep, despite us warning her many times not to do so. My mother had to sacrifice her afternoon nap to watch her, even though she had to do night feedings. I just hate these type of maids who disregard a baby's safety.

milkmilk,
I think if the maid has not stolen anything, and has not done anything to harm you or your family, then it is OK to let her transfer. Then you can save your air ticket. She might get an employer from hell and suffer in the future.

Tamarind,
Sorry to reply you so late as I was waiting to see whether the agent could deliver what they had promised before deciding to include my experience in your blog . The service is really not up to the mark! I still have not got my maid. On 2 Mar, when the maid run away to the agent after 5 days working with me, the assist mgr took over my case and promised the replacement maid will be here in 1 wk time. She claimed that the maid’s passport is ready so can come anytime. After a week, she called us to delay her arrival for another week and again another 3 days. Now they gave reason that the maid could not come because there is not flight! Why are they always giving a lot excuses?

Does anyone know if there is any recourse for getting back my advance loan?

My 1st maid has been with the agent for 2 months already. Why is the agent taking so long to transfer her out? What can I do if I want to cancel her workpermit?

Hi Claris - you may have posted why your maid run away...but can you repeat again to me? I am interested to know why maids choose to run away. I have experienced 2 run away maids myself!

claris,
Does your contract state whether they will refund the maid loan ? Agencies like Crislo has it written in black and white that the maid loan is refundable. If your agency never state that maid loan is refundable, then it is very difficult.

Read this review.

http://singaporemaidagencyreviews.blogspot.com/2008/02/best-helper.html

That mommy advise to go direct to small claims.

By right MOM rule states that the employer can cancel the maid's work permit at any time. But you must read your agency contract, it may state that you cannot do so. Since you already sign that contract, you have no choice.

But every agency I used put in their contract that I only need to give them 30 days to transfer the maid. Are you sure that maid is still under your name ? You can check her employment history using MOM website.

Hi eileen,
I do not know what is the actual reason my maid run away since she was only with us for 5 days. All she said was she was scare of my baby. My previous postings are dated 5th Mar.

Tamarind,
This is really funny, the fact is they are the one who fail to provide the services, why are we reliable for the penalty? Worst come to worst, we will have to approach CASE.

The maid is still under our name as we just received a letter from MOM for her notification of medical check-up yesterday. Though we will only bear the levy for 21 days, we are uncomfortable since she is under us.

milkmilk,

I think it would be more bad karma to transfer her to another innocent family in view of her panadol eating habit and bad attitude. Yes, you will have to pay the air ticket but a one way ticket on a budget airline is not so expensive I think.

I am a very strong believer in NOT recycling bad maids. There's already so many here lah....

LV,
Sadly, alot of maids "threaten" children not to tell their parents what they get up to so kids are too scared to tell.

Lostinthots,
I totally agree with you, they do slacken off...especially if the employer is the easy going generous type. As much as we want to "trust" them and treat them like "adults"...how is this possible with a slothful work ethic.

Mummies,

My watch which has been lost for months suddenly "re-appear" again. I remembered we searched everywhere for it when it lost but we can't find it at all.

When I came home just now, my mum showed me the watch. She told me it was placed in the oil burner (we put coins in the oil burner BTW). Funny thing is I always goes to this burner to take the ear digger and don't seems to see this "shiny" (watch) thing in it. Today, my mum wanted to search for safety pin and this "shiny" thing catches her eyes which lure her to look closer and god knows.... its my watch that has been lost for 4 monhths!!!!!

My mum suspected that my maid must have stolen it but decided to "return" to me. We do not have any evidence since we didn't see her take the watch away.

Do you think I should just keep mum or should I ask the maid where she found it since I can't find it for months and didn't see it at the burner for 4 mths and now its there?

Any opinion??

BTW, the watch is still very new and shiny.... If a watch has been misplaced somewhere, shouldn't it have collected dust and become very dusty???

babycutie
Put the watch back at the burner and see if it disappears again....if your maid didn't know that your mum had returned you the watch. Most of the time you ask the maid anything like this, they won't speak the truth or say something very funny that make you vomit blood....

Did you pass the powder to your maid already?

precious_one,
Has not pass the powder to her. Instead I used on myself for testing.... The powder has very strong nice smell. I almost choked myself when I sniff it hard near my nose after opening it.... hahaha....

I intended to put the watch back on the burner. Then in her presence, purposely find things there then "act" surprise to see that my watch is there. I will then ask the maid how come its there. I have been looking for this watch for so many months and suddenly it was there. Will ask her where she found it.

I predict she will give below answers:-

a) she found it in my girl's bag (my girl imitates Dora and put a lot of rubbish in her backpack)
b) I don't know. I didn't see it. (If she give this answer, I will then ask how come she didn't see since she needs to clean that area daily??)

I expect funny answers from her anyway.....

hi today i went to the agent again with my maid, and whe told the agent she cannot sleep alone at night as she alway got night mare, that people drown her, so she will scared until cannot wake up. Yesterday night i monitor her she could not sleep until 3 am and keep talking to herself, so my agency quite good she dun want to transfer her but ask me to buy air ticket for the maid to go home, as they suspect she is a bit weird scare she might go crazy. Lucky this agent still got LIANG XIN never transfer to other people.

Tam, thanks for the info/advice! Was shocked to see that post abt why ex hk wanna come sgp. It really make sense now why shes only asking for S$300 salary!

Tam

Thanks for the info on ex hk maid. I have been wondering why there are so many around since the pay there are so good...

My sil used to have an ex hk maid too.Cook well, speak good cantonese, also in the end gave her lots of problem, calling her boy friend anytime she want from sil house, pretend tummy pain and eventually ran to embassey and complaint that she was locked at home when she was alone at home.

yo mummies
have been reading the archive here these few days.. and i am really thankful coz yesterdat my maid gave me black face. usually i would be scared n act blur or brush aside but after reading so much and knows i i should not let her bully me

her"grandma dun like us to come here n cook everyday".
me" i told grandma before and i want to come here coz i dun wana leave QY with u alone for a few hrs each day before grandma comes over."
her" i dunno of this arrangment"
me" i told u during the interview that we will be coming to grandma's place
her " no"
me "yes i am sure"
her" but u never say EVERYDAY"
me" okie, now i am telling u this. and this is the arrangment in future. i am asking u now, are u happy working here? do u want to continue working here?"
her" yes, now i know the arrangement. i had always wanna ask u why we come to grandma's place everyday nowadays but dunno how to ask"
me" it's very good that u ask, becoz i dun want to leave bb alone for a few hrs, if u read the papers (coz she everyday sit in kitchen read papers!), u would have knw there is a recent case of maid abuse bb" ...

then she okie liao.. appear submissive n talk abt other things n agreeing etc.. clever woman knows when to retreat! kekeke. but i know i must be careful lor, coz mine is a clever woman not those blur type.

thanks mummies. after reading so much. i am prepared to change her anytime she is not happy or tries anything funny with my son.. and it is a definitely one way ticket back to her country.

san, Chole,
We need to thank that employer who email this advise to me
happy.gif
BTW, the same logic applies to ex-Taiwan maids also.

claris,
Are you sure you only pay levy for 21 days ? So long as the maid is still under your name, CPF continues to deduct from you through GIRO. The agency cannot pay for you, not unless they reimburse you. In any case, it is not right for the agency to hold on the maid for so long, you should just tell them that you will go ahead and cancel her work permit.

when maid who cried abuse of overworked in 2 household, could they be taught to use this tactic? cos these are r problematic maids to be returned to agency and if prob lies with the maid truly, they have to fork out money for her lodging or air tix. so just to make employers come up with the money so that we dont get into trouble with the law, the only way is to turn the table against us and cry abuse. honestly, not all the maids are so smart to say that.

tam

the INDO maid which i just sent off was EX- TAIWAN... she is abit rude, got attitude problems, cut corners when doing housework, dun like to take instructions, off work early, face black black as and when she likes. other than all these mentioned, she is a very good cook.

liana
if i never read soo much of the archives here, i would never dare to talk to her in such a calm emotion lor, in the past i was very emotional n heated up talking to her coz that time i was jealous bb getting too close to her.

yah now i know it's just change for me if she not happy with the arrangement or just quietly buy a ticket for he n cancel her work permit. simple as that. oso learnt that must not be too dependent on her, with some backup plans in case of maidless. thanks gers..

Hi all,

Am new to this thread, will like to ask if anyone has sent a maid back to Nation b4 and whether the agent came down to your place personally to fetch the maid back to the agency?

hunniepot,
my 1st maid is from N toa payoh..sent back before to agent by ourselves.
but i find that they are not honest.
at first they say they will transfer the maid. But next day they call me saying the maid want to go home and i need to pay for the airtix. I say i will buy myself but they say cannot. They buy and i pay..but no docs etc..i think they cheat my money and transfer the maid instead...so angwee...

Hi Ivy,

Mine is also fron Nation TPY.. who is your agent? Mine is Karen.. your maid, had she finished paying off the loan already? Why issit that you got to pay for the air tix? Di you get a replacement maid?

chole, vone

thank you, but just now my agent call me say the maid very clever, now she say she dun want go home, and she manage to call her cousin to come down talk to the agent, she say she got the right. Now maid are so smart, how to employ, so scared now.

Pin
I believe you have the rights to cancel her WP as she can't work in any household owing to her sleeping disorder. You can inform MOM accordingly to blacklist her as she is going to create problem for any family who engage her later. Your maid is the one who didn't want to work for you cos she can't sleep alone. Since your agent has "liang xin", and you are willing to pay for her air ticket home, the agent should not market her out anymore.

Your maid is really bull-shitting on her sleeping disorder. What is the cousin going to do, pay up her outstanding loan or sleep with her everyday??

Just cancel her work permit and buy her a ticket home. Your agent also think that this maid is wierd and may go mad. It will be doing a lot of families dis-service if this agent transfer her out eventually.

precious,

now, mom dun allow us to blacklist maid, the cousin say she will be a gurantor if she go to another employer and create problem again her cousin will paid for her loan and air ticket. The agent now also scare lose money as she was here only 1 week. This is the tricky part now all the maid come singapore know that they got loan so no way can agent or us send her back. AS i not going to help her paid 6 month loan. i think that we should set a website for blacklist maid, so we as singaporean can help ourself, since mom dun let us blacklist.

Tamarind,

The agent will reimburse us any levy more than 21 days. Agent told us today that the 1st maid is transfering out and the replacement will only come next sat. My hd is giving them last chance. Their service is really horrible. Anyone getting maid there please think twice.....

Pin,
I agreed with u that we should have a website to blacklist maids that are giving employers trouble, since those employers abusing the maids are always appearing in the news.

Pin,

I also thought that you can just cancel her WP, then she will have no say already. This kind of attitude best is not to let her transfer to another employer. Basically she is not here to work one!

Pin
I think your maid fake her sleeping disorder, she just didn't want to work for you.

The maid agent, if really the justice kind will send her back and he lose only the commission he paid to the filo agent and that's it. So his loss is not as much as the employer who actually pays the commission to the filo agent and the singapore agent (so called loan). Besides, the employer already paid agency fees and these went into the documentation processing fees with MOM.

What can the cousin guarantee? Can she guanrantee that the maid wouldn't die during sleep if her sleeping disorder is real? You have seen with your own eyes that she is talking to herself at 3am, and the agent agreed with you that this maid can't work, might become 'mad', ask the agent if he is right to market this kind of maid to other employer who badly needs maid like you to look after babies and toddlers.?

You have to stand firm with the agent that you are not to be penalised for the maid's loan because the maid has a sleeping disorder or even if she is faking it, you only had her for 5 days and she didn't want to work with you and not the other way round. Besides you already paid insurance, bond protector etc. All these are kind of $$ in the drain. Of course, certain times $$ is a BIG consideration but justice ought to be done.

If the agent refused, I will choose not to get replacement maid from this agent anymore. To save the commission (about S$1k) paid to the filo agent, he wants to put many families into pain and agony. To me, "you liang xin" is not just lip service, it is about action from the heart. In any biz, there will be cases that you lose $$ but you win in a big way, i.e. you have integrity and honesty which is the most important critera for any biz to succeed.

This is just my thought!

Pin

I understand that if your maid really have a serious SICK problem, as in medical condition, your agent can actually get a replacement for the maid. Heard there is a grace period for the maid refund too....

Tam

I understand from my ph fren (whom hire the maid to clean part time for her hse) that this maid has worked in hk for 10yrs for 3 different employers. It is becos the contract ended that she decided to return to ph in 2006. Also, that last employer migrating to canada. Since then, she has returned to ph &amp; worked as part time maid for ph households. Shes a widow &amp; needs to send her 3 kids to school, tats why she decided to leave ph again. Shes looking for opportunity to work in Dubai or Sgp, whichever opportunity comes first she will take it.

fyi, shes 43 yrs old, has min education, not degree holder, can speak english.

We decided not to interview her cos anything over the phone cannot be trusted. We r considering to put her on trial &amp; see with our own eyes. And our fren will hv a heart to heart talk wif her abt her experience in hk cos we raise concerns over why she did not return to hk to work instead since the salary is better than sgp.

Wat do u tink of such profile? Please advise.

lostinthots,precious one.

i know i could cancel the work permit but i had upfront the loan of the maid about 2000 plus excluding 488 for agent fee. if i just cancel the work permit, without talking with the agent my money will not be able to take back. So my agent now suggest me to leave the maid at the agent and she will counsel her see whther true or not. I did told the agent to send her back i willing to paid for the air ticket as i dun want this maid to do harm to other families too. But i think agent scared of wasting money, you know all the maids when they came here they have loan so if the agent send them back they will lose money.

one more issue is that i stayed with my parent for weekday, so the maid also complain her working place is differernt from the address so she cannot wash my children clothes or do anything. She said all the jobs in my mum house should be done by my mother's maid.

hunnipot,
i dun rem the agent name liao. Yes, she finished her loan...but i really think they are not honest plus it was just over the 1yr period, so no replacement...

now 1 week with a myanmar maid from another agency..so far so good hope it continue.

Pin,
your maid is too clever for comfort...Since she is staying with you at your mum house on weekdays, she should do yours and your kid work..not pushing it to your mum's maid..

For me, i told the maid in front of the agent, weekday at my mum house..must do everything. Then weekend come back to my house, do everything also...I think MOM do allow us to bring maid to mum house cos maid follow kid mah...and maid will have to do the work there related to kid.

Pin
Alas' the truth is out, she didn't want to work in two places. She probably couldn't sleep that night cos she is bothered or troubled by the fact that she thought she is working in two household...so she came up with the excuse that she couldn't sleep alone ....speak so much about maid's honesty, beat around the bush...I don't think she's smart, she is scheming You're lucky to be through with her after 5 days and hopefully the agent find her a bigger house to clean, crowded that she has to sleep in the hall with someone else snoring. I'm not being mean, but I think she ought to learn her lesson of being choosy and fussy. Hopefully she calls it quit again and then her cousin, the guarantor will pay for her loan and air-ticket. So in that way, her 2nd employer will not be penalised.

san
Follow your heart. Give her a chance with a condition stated in your contract that she must have enough money to buy her air ticket home if she could not meet your expectation. May be probation....3 mths. What do you think?

I was told that an older maid work slowly so you must be prepared for her slower speed of work. This can be accepted if she has the RIGHT and POSITIVE attitude.

Pin,
Your maid is WRONG. She is damn lazy and full of crap. These idiot maids don't understand that being put in mother's place during the week does not mean clean 2 houses in one day and also does not mean don't do anything at all. It's not holiday camp at Club Med!

If you have to transfer her duet to agent unfair demand then tell the agent you will do so because you have outlayed so much money but also tell the agent that you will report this to the MOM.

Don't know what kind of maids they are breeding these days.

Back