Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Hahaha..talking abt 4D... There was once a bangladesh strike.... Maybe the maids are trying their luck....

Tam,
Most hbs are good for nothing..... If they are capable and hardworking, how come their wives need to work overseas?? Why don't the hb work overseas instead??

babycutie,
hahaha...that is what my MiL told Maid #2 when she told my MiL that her hb does all the housework in their hse in PH. This is her excuse for her mistakes.

My MiL's exact words (i still can remember up till today!), "Wah! your husband so capable! then he should be the one coming here to work, not you! Why you waste your time here?"

Tam - i think not quite possible to do without the loan, unless the maid can fork out the money themselves. Apparently the supplier in these countries charge everything incl food and lodging, training, air tickets, medical etc...So someone has to pay for it. If they make maids do that, then they wont have any maids to supply...so the agency had to pay this upfront and claim back from employers...I guess there isnt much anyone can do abt this..

san
petite miam yogurt can be bought from NTUC and major supermarket. It usually come in 6 nos.
happy.gif

Patsy,
For the case of working part time, it is only in the interest of the maids, very few employers will want to help to change the rules. I don't think the maids can do anything.

nellu,
My maid is very careful with her money. She spends at most $1 on TOTO each time. There was once she won $70, then she told me she will buy TOTO only using the money she won.
I agree with you that $5000 is a big deal, it is not fair to penalise employers when it is not our fault at all.

babycutie,
I believe many maids' hubby do not work at all, only waiting for their wives to send money back. And the maids' sisters' hubbys are like that too.

eileen,
I heard that those maids going to Hong Kong and Taiwan already paid up their loan, by borrowing from their friends or families. In Hong Kong and Taiwan employers do not have to pay the maid loan.

I think it is because Singapore salary is much lower compared to Hong Kong and Taiwan. So if we insist that maids must have paid up their own loan before coming, then perhaps no maids will want to come to Singapore for the low salary.

In Hong Kong and Taiwan, the maids are paid more than SGD 700 a month, so quite easy for them to repay the loan, only have to tahan for 3 months.

san,
there you have it.
happy.gif
but take note that they don't stock it at those small outlets. The small NTUC and Shop N Save near my plc do not stock it but the bigger outlets have.

Tamarind
I was right ah, see your maid is a gem (as in hardworking and positive work attitude) and she won a Toto consolation prize. I hope she will win more. So happy for her.
happy.gif

nellu
pai seh, reply on yr behalf for San.
happy.gif

thanks mummies ... ehh...wat other interesting food i can feed my 11mth boy?

He eat porridge with the usual ingredients (ikan bilis, pork, chicken, veggies), fruits like peach, avocado, banana, mango, snacks like steamed pumpkin, xiao man tou, bread ... running out of ideas already ...

Recently his favourite snack is butter cake. Must give credit to Tam for her VERY SIMPLE & TASTY butter cake recipe!

Hi Wendy,

It's very unfortunate that your maid has so many problems...but I don't think this is your problem. Your maid needs to manage her own finances and her own personal affairs, since she is supposed to be a working professional. She should not treat her employers as her own personal credit card or atm.

Incidentally, maids borrow money from each other and they charge their "friends" INTEREST!

As employers, our duties are to make sure we provide our maids with a conducive working environment and pay her salary on time.

After all, that is what our employers expect of us as working professionals.

If my maid thinks her salary is too low to pay for her family's problems then she is welcome to find another job that will pay more.

I suppose if my maid was really that great and I really trusted her then perhaps I too would loan her the cash but since I obviously have trust issues due to my 6 maids poor performance there is no way I'm going be their charity worker.

From the article above the fines are as follows:

Maid: $3,000
PT Employer: $19,300
Full Time Employer (who had no clue her maid was doing P/T): $8,260

These are MOM Guidelines.

Smurfy, dont misunderstand, I dont hope my maid gets stroke,just that not surprise if one day she has it,I really pei fu,she can be angry anytime,fews time in a day..can be a while,or can last fews hr..

Liana,thks for sharing..
I also think thats the reason her acne cant recover...even I supply her Aloe liquid soap, Aloevera toner n Aloe gelly for her face..waste my money..

Normally after dinner,maid will bring bb to sleep..just now she was angry that bb cant sleep well n keep on wake up..so she just let the bb cry..she do her work..then she bring bb to kitchen..I heard bb cry again(I'm with my 2kids), I went to kitchen n saw bb on floor crying(sleepy) with her 2hands showing she want maid to carry her..but maid dont bother,just do washing(angry w bb,no patient to wait for her to sleep)..

I put my baby to sleep instead...I was thinking, she should put bb to sleep 1st then only hse work,but she angry..so I didnt ask her n I dont want her to handle my bb when she cant control her temper..

I want to talk to her but afraid,if she cant control her mood yet listen to me,attend bb 1st,afraid she might throw temper on bb..so decide to tell agent next week after back from trip..ask agent to follow up her,check with her if she is happy..hope she will tell agent.

hi ladies, can I just ask a silly question? If I were to need a maid for just 6 months, is this possible? Would any agency entertain me?

Jo,
Aiyoh...poor little Gloria...on the floor! Your maid got PMS 365 days a year lah. Lucky for her you are such a nice employer and can put up with the bad weather. Her personal issues must be stressing her out. That's why she's got that acne problem. Because of that she dun look clean lah. She's lucky you are supplying her with all that great Aloe stuff!

Catz,
Sounds mean but you can hire one normally (2 yr contract) and just return her as and when you dun need her anymore. Anyway, there's no guarantee she's going to even last 6 months.

Ok, to be fair, the legally binding CONTRACT says either party may dissolve the contract by giving 14 days notice....so legally, you can hire a maid and end the contract any time you like by giving 14 days notice. Alternatively, if you don't want her in your house after giving her notice you can pay her the notice period in cash and send her off to the agent immediately for transfer. You will still have to pay the levy until she is transferred though.

Disclaimer: Not suggesting you do anything....will leave that up to you to decide.

Tam,
Like I said, the hbs are all GOOD for NOTHING....
They have to depends on their wives to feed them... What a shame!!

Jo,
Seriously I thk your maid's attitude is totally unacceptable. Her Emotional Intelligence is totally ZERO. She still can't forego the "No Off-day" issue. She is showing her displease thru her facial expression (black face).

That is her problem. She has agreed to all terms and conditions before working with you. I don't see why u should tolerate and give in to her because she is not in good mood. Who she think she is? Don't bother abt her black face. Just plan what u gonna do and bring her along. If she can't perform and show black face, reprimand her.

Yes, pls get the agent to talk to her. Her mood is affecting all of u. She is paid to do housework and bbcare/childcare for you and not paid to show you black face everyday.

My mum complain to me today again.

I really hate it when my mum calls me... nothing good will come out.... True enough...

My maid let my boy play with a GLASS DECO liquid colour pen. Because she wants to bath my girl. Ended up my boy open the cap and draw on the highchair. Not only that, he even put the pen in his mouth to lick......

In verge of anger, I told my maid I want to see her eat the colour after I finish my bath.

I wanted to scold her after my bath but I changed my mind. Instead, I record under the expenditure : Repair bicycle $100, Let jayden play with pen $10. Then I talk to her in the room. I didn't raise my voice. I just reminded her that I have ever told her not to let my kids play with any pens and ask her why. She anwser she wanted to bath my girl and takes only 10 minutes and my boy didn't eat it because she checked his mouth and nothing inside. I told her anything can happen within that 10 minutes and why is she so sure my boy didn't eat it. There is no pen stain in his mouth doesn't mean he didn't eat it. Perhaps he has already swallow it. The she apologise and said sorry mam, wat u want me to do now? I took out the expenditure and ask her to sign. She signed and told me that she can eat the pen which I have told her earlier that I want to see her eat. I told her that I didn't mean it to let her eat.

After she left the room, she get another one from hb. Then the maid told hb that I have deducted her pay.

I told hb how much I have deducted.

Then hb told the maid that we do not mean to "eat" her money. Tell her these are her hard earn money. We will observe her till end of this year and if she performs well, we will give this money back to her. If not, we will forfeit it. Tell her we are giving her chance to improve.

Haiz.... I just dun understand why she can't follow SIMPLE instruction. Asking her not to let my kids play with pen is so difficult????

Babycutie,
Why don't maids follow simple instructions?

1. Because they are LAZY. Will do anything to shut the kids up including letting them play with potentially dangerous items such as GLASS DECO PEN! Other examples include not cleaning pots and pans properly and hiding them away in the cupboard, tearing clothes because they are too rough but just putting them into the wardrobe until you pull them out and find a big hole in your favourite blouse, breaking your precious ornaments and simply throw them into the bin as if your $2,000 crystal was a piece of trash, dropping an $8,000 bike onto the ground because she needs to move it, making an 11 mth old sleep 3 times a day to free up more time for herself, dumping your stuff in the storage room like a piece of trash because she can't be bothered putting it away properly and the list goes on!

2. Because they simply DO NOT CARE about your kids or your things. They only care about themselves. For example, using up your fabric softener for her own clothes but leaving your clothes and towels as stiff as cardboard, eating the best food like big drumstick and scallop and leaving nothing for you, leaving your baby in a soaking wet and heavy diaper because she can't be bothered letting you know so you can change it or even changing it herself, letting your baby cry and cry because she can't be bothered taking care of her and would prefer to do something else less important....

In a nutshell...these maids pretend to care only. In reality, they don't give a SH*T. Don't be fooled.

I really agree with Liana! So what if we deduct her pay and so, at the end of the day, most of them wouldnt bother. BUT, if you say you want to spoil their belongings i.e. cut a hole in their clothes, bag or bleach their clothes, hahaha...Let me assure you they will really keep their eyes open and hog onto their things for the whole night!!!

Jo - aiyoh, I dont know how you can tahan your maid leh. If she thinks she can find another employer that is willing to give her off day and treats her well, ask her to go ahead lah. Why is she insisting that off day? Off day, means she will spend more money and know more men! If she is so desperate, then go back to her country and find men that can support her and family. Wah, I very angry with your this maid.

Precious_one - Liana very chio hor??!!! hee...

Liana - I think the fines are as follows leh:

Maid: If convicted, fine upto S$ 5,000 or jailed up to 6 mths.
PT Employer: $8,260
Domestic Cleaning Company: S$ 19,300
Full Time Employer (who had no clue her maid was doing P/T): $3,000

Haha, with this article, I am going to send this to the stupid maid PT's employer to warn her and fire her! Cos I hope she can disappear!!

catz
u r here as well ;) whahhahaa

jo
no worries, i understand wht u mean, me n my mum were laffing inside when she scald her hand with hot oil coz she watched too much tv and forgets her frying pan is oredi heated ;)

liana
wow, u sums it all up. they do not care. they just care for themselves. there might be a few who truly care for the employers and family but it's like searching a needle out of a haysack.

sans
gwc i go their cold storage. the organic shop oso has the horizon cheese n yohurt but hor i find that their expiry dates very near.. and cold storage seems fresher?

Liana,
U r right. They are LAZY and DO NOT CARE.
Very SELFISH.....

Eileen,
One day we should teach them a lesson by ruining their belongings...... hehehehehe

Liana,
So true loh ... i tot being nice will make her be a better maid. Now i can see that no matter wat, shes jus a maid. Shes jus here to work, not to be part of my family. She work half heartly, cut corners, dun care of my boy's well being ... i felt really disappointed tat our generousity does not work on maids.

Hi all, long time I never come in. So busy at work.

Eileen, how's your maid?

And to all, I'm glad that my new maid, now has been with me for 1 month is performing well. Of course, she's not perfect. She's not hte sort that tidy things, she can't pack the cupboard or the fridge well enough to create space, she sometimes can be lazy and don't clean things well, but overall, she's been ok.

For whatever she did that is not to our liking, I will just tell her to do it our way and so far so good. She has less problem when with me, but not sure about my mil, cause my mil did complain to me now and then. I talked to her the week before to see if she is working well with my mil and how's her work here. She said she's ok and everyone treats her well. I also took the opportunity to explain to her why my mil will tell her off at times especially when it comes to my children. Cause I want her to understand how we feel. Explained to her if her kid got hurt when someone else is taking care for her, will she blame that person for not watching the kid well? Mil has the same feeling. Explained to her that my children is very impt to us and anything about them, child minding, hygiene and cleaniness is very impt, especially they both had mild asthma case. I told her I don't bother much about we adults but when it comes to my children, I will not compromise. So she knows. When my kids get hurt, like fall down, getting bruise, etc, she will quickly let me know when I'm back in the evening.

On the other hand, I told my mil and hub that she is so far quite an ok maid, knows her priority and has initiative. So do close one eyes on less impt things. We have changed enough maids and that's enough for me. Her attitude has been good and she doesn't want to keep her salary. I allow her to use her hp, but she has been controlling very well as in I've never seen her using in during the day and I also never catch her going to the toilet for sms (which my ex-maid ever did).

I pray hard that she would be able to finish her contract with me while tolerating my mil nagginess.

Very good, JChew...this is the transfer maid from Status right? I also did the same when I spoke to my maid. Now she understands that if my mom does drop by, she can also take the opportunity to learn cooking from her, esp now that my older boy is at full day cc.

Babycutie - indeed! One of my ex-maids didnt bother to tell me that the diapers is down to the last piece. I was so pissed off until I almost wanted to take her clothes to use as nappy for my son (actually 2nd thoughts, I also dont want cos her clothes sure v dirty)...and you know what she was sooooo scared that she hogged at her clothings for the whole night! That maid drove me nuts!

Hi Nellu,
I totally agree $5000 is a big deal to lose if maid does something wrong.Not saying it's not at all. But I think the government making it the employers' responsiblity when something goes wrong that is beyond the employers' control is unreasonable. And it is root cause for so many employers being control freaks when it comes to their maids. I wonder if we can do something to get the government to change this ruling, and make it the maid's onus instead when things go wrong.

As for the article posted about fines for moonlighting, same problem.... why should an unknowing employer get fined for her maid moonlighting. How is she suppose to know wat the maid does with her free time??? I mean, it's fair enough if the employer gets fined for letting her maid moonlight KNOWINGLY. But unknowingly, it's unfair.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I interviewed a maid yesterday on the phone. She sounds good and very experienced. Later, I called her previous employer who said she's excellant with housework, infant care, etc. Would highly recommend her for all that BUT.......on the day she was leaving, they made her declare her belongings and found all sorts of "exotic lingerie". It seems she may have a boyfriend outside, although it is not known if she brings her boyfriend to their house. I was at first keen to hire her, but now a bit unsure. I'm worried about her bringing strangers back to my place. But I suppose since my mum will be staying w me, it shouldn't be a problem? What do you all think.

Liana - neh, how auntie can you be!!! I met Precious yesterday, she's also a pretty mom!

Precious_one: Aiyoh, your Angel sooo sweet and shy leh..next time I sure must play with her!
happy.gif

Twiggy

If the employer says she so good, why still wanna let her go?

Hi all

My ex malaysia three years maid, who can speak english failed her English test yesterday....I had a good laugh as I do know fresh maid who know nothing about Eng can pass...and yet someone like her can fail.....

Any one has got any idea what is this english test all about?thanks

Huh...got photos of Liana meh?? Where??? hehehe KPO...

eileen,
Hahaha....better don't use the maid's clothes as diapers. They might not be properly washed and breed bacteria....Yucks....

eileen,Liana,
I'm the auntie lah! Now SAHM, all my smart suits and 3inch heels are hanging around collecting dust...as with the make-up...

hahaha

Nellu - No, who said you auntie? Your boy also looks like you woah...I thot your photo in facebook is cool esp the one with the sky in the background
happy.gif
You will be fine once you find the maid..Hang on there! Wah, 3 in heels?? I salute you leh. Ever since i gave birth to my elder boy, I cant really wear heels anymore... (Precious_one: the shoe i wore yday, nt heels by the way...just that it's noisy! Haha)

I had to return to workforce "permanently" cos I am really worrying on financial matters esp Kayden's pte speech therapy...really cost a bomb every mth!

Chloe
The English test as far as I know, test the maids on safety, and some basic housekeeping, I think multiple choice questions kind. I wonder if they test them on the rules and regulations of holding a maid work-permit?

Eileen, both hb and I concluded that your Kayden is so handsome, then my hb said look like mummy....wow, this is a compliment from a man on you! Since day 1, I saw yr pic already, I told you that you are a "chio bu". kekeke (No make-up still so pretty). Tks for dropping by to collect your stuff.
happy.gif

nellu
Don't say that leh, I also SAHM and I'm trying to avoid the word auntie....hahahaha. Actually hor, it is hard to look good when you are a SAHM w/o maid.

Liana
The way I look at you (since I've been observing people for so long), you're one that will never be a auntie even when you aged....so trendy, so hip and so in....how to be auntie???
happy.gif

eileen,
hahaha the photo was a fluke shot that my hubby took while we were in Siem Reap early this year. He was fooling around with my D50. See the yellow bundle? THat's my boy sleeping in the sarong sling and he can't even recall that we walked through the whole of Angkor Wat...hahahaha

Precious one,
PM you my contact then you can add me in on facebook.

Last time my maid also HINTED to me about her family is asking her to send money home. Reasons given like:
- hubby ganna sack by boss and no salary to pay babysitter;
- girl fell from baby sitter's bed and need to be hospitalised, no money to pay hosiptal;
- father asking her for money to buy a 'good deal' house, else house will be grab by other people;

On the above occasions, i pretend to act blur .. cos she din say want to borrow money, she just tell me her 'stories' of so-and-so ask her send money back .. i just act blur and listen .. then act blur and tell her 'you are still paying agency your loan, where got money to send back' .. hahahaaa..

Nellu, yes i did realise its your boy in sarong...The sky is soo blue, very nice! Or ... maybe its the super-dy D50 that we both own...wahaha..

twiggy, is that maid a ex-SIN maid who now is back in her country waiting to return to SG? I would have my same reserves as you...Will she have off day? If yes, then you will another set of worry...

Ladies, will you allow your maid to have boyfriend? I dont (regardless married or not), but I am not sure if the maid is really good, should we trust her? Just a question that it pops up my mind..

eileen10, very dangerous for maid to have boyfriend .. what if she bring her boyfriend to your house when u are not at home? what if she got herself pregnent? Again, we employers will be fully responsible and at the losing end ..

eileen10, Pinktweet
My personal opinion is as long as the maid has off days, there's no way we can ensure that they do NOT have boyfriends. And when it comes to emotions of the heart, we absolutely have no control so they do not need to get our approval.

What we can do is to ensure that everyday there's someone at home so that they can't rendevous in the house. We can't prevent pregnancy either. Sob sob, this is the price to pay for being a BOSS of the maids.
sad.gif

Nellu, you have my email address already, use the same one that you wrote to me about yr p/time maid. Arigato ne!

Pinktweet
You did the right thing by being a GOOD listener to her "family's plight". Sometimes, we also have to use their method, one day may be I'll also tell the maid (if I ever try again), that I'm also broke after being sabotage by so many maids, so for her, I also have to go and "borrow $" from my family in order to pay for her loan, insurance blar blar blar....then take the opportunity to tell her, do not break anything in the house cos I'm as broke as her. hahaha!

precious one,
haha the part abt borrowing money from family to pay maid loan is darn GOOD idea...hahaha i think i'll use this tactic.

Pinktweet,
my 1st maid also always come and tell us abt her family issues. I know that they genuinely have problems but i chose to just listen and not act on it. whereas her first employer lent her some money before she came over to work for me. As a result she extended her loan. really dunno why she's so stupid to do that...but maybe really needed the money urgently...

the way i see it is that if we relent and lend them just that one time, there will be future instances and it'll be endless....

precious_one,
I just hope this maid doesn't change. Or she is not hiding something I did not know. I have a tendency to trust a person too much.

JChew,
I am happy for you that your new maid is good
happy.gif
I think when we changed too many maids, our expectations are lowered, and become easier to be satisfied
happy.gif

babycutie,
I think your maid doesn't have any common sense. She doesn't know it is dangerous for a very young child to play with a pen.

There was once my maid was sitting with us in the car. The car was moving and my boy, 2 years old at that time, wanted to eat a sweet. Before I said anything, my maid told my boy cannot eat sweet because it is dangerous to eat sweet in a moving car, he may get choked. This is what I called common sense.

A maid who has no common sense is very very difficult to teach. Even if you deduct her pay, she will not learn.

Twiggy,
Totally agree with you. Actually Singapore is not a good place to hire maids, because employers are always at the losing end.

As for that maid, I will never hire a maid who has boyfriends. It is simply too risky. I used to have an ex-maid who is very good who babies, housework and cooking, but once I found out she had many boyfriends, I immediately sent her away.

Back