Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

Something went wrong with my MSN, just can't login, or retrieve my password. So I gotta create a new account. Those of you who were on my MSN or wan to add me in, please add this account [email protected]

babycutie,

its scary to know dat they can think of such innovative ways n places to hide $. thanks for sharing with us. it serves as a caution to all of us here

Hi jambo,

I wanna know wats the market practise so we know if we hv given her a fair offer. Every sunday off is not an issue for us. But taking advantage of us is. Every human needs to rest mah. They are not slaves.

So far, wat Ive only heard is not to give maid every sun off for a start so we can increase her off days as a performance reward. And her mum comes to negotiate every sunday off directly is very pushy & we were afraid that we might hv more obligations in the future, since her mum knows how to fight for her rights.

mrs wang,
Market practise is one day off per month as required by law unless the maid agrees to take extra $20 for no days off. If you want to give every Sunday off it's considered above market.

If the mother is pushy I would not even consider taking that maid as I would forsee problematic issues in future. Why would you want to agree to Christmas and New Year Day off for your maid as you may want to go out and celebrate these holidays yourself?

I would agree to every Sunday off if that's what you want but everything else is at your discretion. I wouldn't be promising anything upfront, especially since you don't know if she can perform yet. If it happens to suit you at the time or you feel she deserves extra time off etc then offer it as a reward.

We gave our maid every Sunday off from the first week she started with us but that's because I prefer to have my own family time once a week.

What I also realised is that even if Sunday is meant to be a rest day, they do not rest. They go out galavanting all day long and come back more tired than on a normal working day....so Mondays are slow. Just part and parcel of life I guess. I'm also tired on Mondays.

San, here is a standard employment contract by Phil Embassy.. <center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif

STANDARD Employment Contract.doc (42.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Jo,
No one uses this contract. It's too restrictive on employers. The one that is the industry standard is the MOM contract. Furthermore, the Embassy contract is the one that has the SGD 600 minimum salary.

Stay away at all costs.

Remember, in SGP there is no statute that specifies set working conditions for FDWs. Assuming we are not out there to exploit our maids, try and get a contract that errs towards employer's benefit else you could be held in breach if you do not fullfill the terms as stated.

Hi Tamarind - thanks for yr clarifications on the levy...you are right, that shld be imposed to business cos they used these workers to earn money for the company, but for us, we dont woah..In fact we have to spend on the workers esp when they spoil things unnecessarily...

My maid wanted to soak the toys in pail of water including toys with batteries so as to wash them!! I dont mind teaching her what to do, but sometimes she does it without telling me/my mom, and how are we supposed to guard her and teach her what to do...Sometimes I really feel like having 3 kids instead of 2 only!!

Liana, when I call the embassy how to direct hire.. they want this contract.. I was like??? why thru agent no need??? So I was think using Singapore's agreement like those given by agency.

I also dont know if that way is consider illegal??

Any direct hire mummy can share with me your agreement for Phil FDW,can PM me.Thks.

I heard from a fren, her maid went back after 2 yrs for a holiday then coming back to renew her contract and she has to sign this standard contract with the Phillipines embassy. So I dunno isit, if your maid goes back then you wanna renew, oso need to sign under this new rule. So wat she did, she signed, but she oso signed a separate contract to supercede this contract, saying she will pay her maid only $350+ or so... blah blah...

Thks, mom2nat.
I will prepare another agreement similiar to the one we get from agency, by mutual agree with Phil maid..of course follow market and not take advantage of her.

Jo,
Anytime you talk to the Embassy they will push the embassy contract cos it's more beneficial to thier country people. As I mentioned, there is no law governing employment contracts for FDW in SGP. There are generally 3 types of contracts available.

1. Embassy contract - no good for employers, good for maid
2. Agency contract - no good for employers, good for agency
3. MOM contract - ok.

If you direct hire, you can use the MOM contract and change it to suit you in some areas....for example, you can take out the set working hours and continuous rest time (contract states 8 continuous hours of rest). Change terms for those people with families who need their maids to get up at 5.30am and sleep at 11pm. That's only 6.5hrs of continuous rest. If the maid agrees and signs on it, she is bound by the terms of the contract. If she breaches the contract you may sue her in a court of law.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to cut back your maid's rest time. It's just an example.

Contracts are legally binding documents between 2 parties. There needs to be offer and acceptance. The terms and conditions within can be changed to suit both parties as long as they do not contravene any existing laws. The Philippine Embassy does not make the law in this country and we do not have to follow what they say.

If you need to find out the law with regard to maids you can ask the MOM to send you the FDW Act (statute) or google for it.

Just remember, contracts are NOT LAW. Only STATUTE is the law. But if you sign on a contract (thinking you have to accept it, which you don't) you are bound by the conditions of the contract.

Jo,
yup, i just got my maid recently, less than a week. I went to the Katong branch, find their service ok leh... maybe i am a new customer?? But of cos i waited 1 mth for my maid as she's never been in s'pore and need time to obtain her passport

Anyway, so far this maid is still ok lah...of cos sometimes she will forget to do certain thing. But i won't be angry lor cos maybe i told her too many things at 1 go or maybe i talk too fast. And i have not fixed a timetable for her yet. But my mil said she do things quite slow.. ask her to wipe/clean her table, she uses 1 finger to wipe slowly. Said she is trying to "geng" lor. Anyway, i just listen and observe first lah cos during daytime till evening, my maid will be at my inlaws place taking care of my gal, abt 3 yrs old. There's nothing much to do there cos my mil will cook and their hse is already quite clean in the first place.. so really nothing much to do. Sometimes i see my maid looks bored ... hehehe. Maybe she will have more things to do when my baby is out.

But overall, at least she is not the lazy type (at least for now). Will ask for things to do if she has nothing to do. She gets up at 6 am and sleeps at abt 11pm.

Hi mummies with toddlers and maid

Can I check with you on your opions on this....thanks

My maid was carrying my son, sitting on her lap on the benches watching my hubby packed the shoe rack...

After a while, my son fall from her lap, face flat onto the hard floor....as in whole body...

I asked my maid whether she knows my son fall, she said she does know he is falling from her lap cos she is watching sir packing the shoe rack.....

I do not think she is harming my son, but more like she is a dreamer,very spacey....

Would you mum continue to use such a maid, tho she loves the kid but she is like that....

Bring her to toilet, son hit the side of the basin, she also does not know...

There was once, my maid backside hit onto my son son's body so hard that it swing him and hit onto the cupboard, she also does not know that it was her backside that hit him....

Will you mum use her....even though she is not those that go to HARM the kids, but such thing does happen....

San - It is in your best interest to give a day off every week. Easiest way to get someone to lose interest in their job is to burn them out w/out time away from work. And as was pointed out above, for some of us it is nice to have alone time w/fam. We certainly can make due w/out a maid for one day per week!

rainbow, your maid is those strong built type?
I think u should reprimand her or at least warn her to look out for your son . Must emphasize to her that your son's safety is very important. Can tell her that if it happens again and again, you will send her back

Rainbow, I do think you should talk to the maid on the 'carelessness' or 'mishandling' of your kid.

Emphasize the importance of your kid to her and let her know that not knowing how the kid gets hurt is not a good excuse, as the kid is under her care. Let her know that the child is under her care, if he gets hurt, she maybe chargable under child abuse and neglect, coz nobody will really know if she does it on purpose or accidentally.

However, if this continues, you should change her before one day, your son seriously gets hurt due to her carelessness.

rainbow,
mayb u shld talk to her & find out if there's anything bothering her.

my frd's Myamar was once knocked the baby against the wall while she was carrying him.Reason she gave was she didn't c the wall in front of her;becoz there is no wall in her hse at Myammar.She sent her back after 1mth.

ha ya! boiling inside with my maid. always have to nagged at her. 23-year still no brain. this morning my boy asked her to play push car (car made from lego blocks) that we as a family made, and on display shelves. my maid took it down and played with him. see, no brain! so, what happend? crashed to millions of pieces. and who have to build the lego car again? hubby and me lah! why can't they just use brain! also this morning, we had breakfast, biscuits from Jacobs tin. how to open using fingers? alamak! take initiative lah! a least put a spoon there for us to open the cover. told her, she oh! oh! after shower come out, still no spoon on the table. asked her, oh? for the biscuit tin ah? don't know what madam talking about. #$%^^&*

Agreed with Patsy, but there are generally a fair bit of maids are like that. If go out of the hse, even worse..so busy watching other pple's maid until dont know what the kids are doing!

And, Jo, I also heard that the embassy contract doesnt allow the PH maid to wash car, must have every week one day off day, must have 8 hrs of rest...

hahaha, kim, indeed indeed same as my maid. They just like to say "oh ya"...or else, "oh ya, i forget!"...everytime i asked her why you do this, then she said, no why mam..but there must be a reason why they do certain things right? how can it be no why....sigh....

everytime ask her why you didnt do this, then she said...later...so every time later later...and when the "later comes" she tells you she forgets!! alamak!

Hi Ladies. Responding to Eileen's embassy contract detail info. Why is it a surprise they should have at least 8 hours rest? Doesn't everyone give at least that?

eileen, to me forgetful never mind, as long you make the mistakes once and the next time you don't do it again. but my maid must tell many many times, still same actions, until have to threaten her either cut her pay or sent her back, then can see some improvement. then again, after a few days, back to the daydreaming way again!

when i told her expensive clothes need to hand wash and hang dry, ya! ya! i know madam. last few days, showed me my dress, madam don't know why i hand wash, but color come out from dress, i don't use bleach! (means she didn't do anything wrong, its the dress fault). one look at it, i can guess she hand wash and use dryer to dry my dress, as my dress have those lace that i know color comes out and stained the dress. so, i questions her, oh! cannot use dryer ah? wah! you tell me! i really $%^^&* the dress already cost me a lot, somemore, come and question me cannot use dryer. i kind-hearted, everytime say want to deduct pay, but never do. hubby said that's why not scare of me!

i TAHAN! after my confinement, sure straight back to surabaya. getting a good, initiative and smart maid is really hard! so, i decided my newborn after 6-month go to Infant Care. my colleagues said pity my newborn, but what to do, no relatives that can help us!

Jambo, its not that every household is possible to gv 8 hrs of rest at one go. Sometimes its staggered.

Also the definition of rest is debatable. Like my maid, she is very free in the afternoon when the kids are sleeping. I consider that as rest for her. She can dont do anything, but she rather do some light chores before the kids wake up. She chose that also becos she dont want us to see her as laze around. But i dont think the maid treats that as rest. As long as they are not sleeping, they dont think its rest.

Kim, i know how headache it is, when no one can help to look after kids. Me too, I recently resigned my job, so as to slowly find a maid and teach as much as I can..Now the maid is in, but really got to teach lor. If dont tell her what to do, she either wont do it else she will tell me later to do it...then after that forget. My mom said she is a block of wood....what to do? I have come across naughty maids before, so this one at least is considered kuai kuai...so I also tried to tahan...

Kim,
Sending to infant care is better than leaving the baby with maid alone. Never never never trust maid with children. Simply because they can not be trusted.

Regarding maids making mistakes, I generally can tolerate and in fact prepared to make some losses in terms of them breaking things or spoil equipments. But I cannot tolerate them doing things without brains (classic example: put brush in fridge, put vegie in freezer, put a pot of chrysanthemum tea in the store room, let my boy wear my girl's dress as shirt). It really make my blood boil.

As I type, I am wondering if any mom would still keep such maid in the house.

eileen, suzie, can't give up my job, not that i need my pay to support my family, its just that i know i'm not the SAHM. i will go crazy staying at home! my current maid, i already tahan for 1 year, like you said, kuai kuai, at least can get things done with a few hiccups.

when my maids arrived, i will go thru my houserules, time-table for 7 days, trained her in houseworks (really show her), in cooking, then getting my mom to help and monitor her. i can conclude my maid really have no brain! she's the kind, you asked she do, but won't do any extra. always tell her save water, electricity, gas, and food, but nothing goes into her brain. for eg.: when we have breakfast, usually i leave the house first, then my hubby and my boy wakes up at 8.30-9am. so, there's once i asked her to make toast delifrance baquette using the oven. you know what she do! she toast mine first, after 15-min, toast my hubby's then after 30-min toast my boy! wah! you know how much electricity she waste to toast 1 1/2 baguette! i asked her why cannot all 3 toast together. can ah? madam didn't say can...

so, i concluded my maid no brain-->only take instructions A-Z no more, no less, can only do houseworks (but cut corners), cooking and take care of my boy (and also take instructions from my boy). i told her if my boy ask you to jump down from 15 storeys, you will likely to do it!

And Jambo, if the contract is ambiguous in that sense (rest = sleep??), i wont sign it.

For my case, I do wish my maid has 8 hrs of sleep (cos i want that too), but it is not possible cos the kids are small and the maid is new.

My hubby works 12 hrs shift and we all leave home at 630am to my mom's hse. By the time we have dinner and back to our house, its 10 pm. By the time she finished her chores, it will be around 1130 pm. Although she dont have 8hrs of sleep in that sense, she doesnt have to do night feeding, sweep and mop my hse everyday. Adults clothes sometimes go into the machine. At my mom's plc, she doesnt have to do marketing and she doesnt cook (not even for the kids). So her work is just that simple and easy. But sad to say, most maids wont look at this manner and started to pick this and that. Some considered hard work! So at least if there is an agent who can specify our requirements to the maid right from the start, she just have to accept it. If she dont, then the agent will ask her if she is more willing to try to work at a bungalow with 3 or more toilets and needs to wash everyday, all clothes hand wash, vaccumming and mopping everyday and plus cooking, gardening, picking up the kids, wash 2 cars, although dont have to run 2 houses, if the maid smart, she will probably think twice.

Aside from delicate care items for handwashing, why wouldn't they use the machine provided there is one in the house?

kim, well, i think with younger maids they have a tendency to do that more... they are still thinking of having fun rather than thinking of their work. That's why now am looking for a new maid i prefer those that have children already coz they are generally to be more responsible coz need to support children and less likely to fool around...

suzie your story reminds me of a friend of mine who hired a sri lankan maid, she went to the grocery and when she came back, gave instructions as to which bag goes where, the maid put the sanitary pads in the freezer and the fresh chicken in the cupboard :D

jambo, different household has different expectations on cleaniless. Some pple prefer clothes to be handwashed becos they believe it will be cleaner than the machine. However on the other hand, there are pple who prefer to trust the machine than the maid. It all depends on yr preference.

If I want to engage a maid, of cos I wld want her to do what I like her to do. Otherwise, there will be no reason for me to engage maid.

I learnt my lesson and would not treat maids too well. As long as they do work to my requirements, I pay her salary and provide her food and rest = and thats it.

Do you have a maid??

patsy, that's what i thought. my 1st maid has 2 kids, and when she look after my boy, she always home sick and cry (every night, like house haunted). plus the hubby always called and the kids do not want to talk to her, she even more sad!. after 1 1/2 year, pretended sick and wants to go home (but asked not to sent to agent. clever ah!) hubby said no, go home, you go to agent. but she smart, she planned everythings, and knows that agent will deduct her salary for staying with agent, so before she pretend to be sick, she sent all her money back to indo.

we thought she was a good maid, as she really take care of our boy, and very automatic, no need to teach much and do more than what has been asked. we really treated her like a family member. after she left, then my boy told me that "aunty" punished him for crying or throwing tantrum by standing ourside our house. we were stunt!!!!

so, we concluded to get a single who can also play with my boy (only child), but this current one, ah ya! just want to have fun! how i know, already getting full pay, and CNY, and other festivals get ang pow, but saving only $100. asked her why so little, never mind, madam, still single no need to save much ???? what can i say! married, cry everyday, single, want to have fun, divorced-widowed, maybe naughty (hubby said cannot! they know what is SEX!, not so innocent!) my hubby chia lat!

Hi Eileen. Yes, everyone is diff but unsure why people would think it is cleaner to handwash, esp bigger items. Time consuming too! I do indeed have a maid.

oh, for bigger items e.g. bedsheet etc, i think most pple do use the machine, unless handwash to get out some stains. Stains are hard to remove if using machine...

Ladies, please advise how to teach maid to plan? E.g. to cook rice for dinner if there is left over rice from lunch. How to teach the maid to plan and think logically like the below.

1. off the cooker first so that the pot will not be hot. Do other things meanwhile.
2. after 30 mins, soak the pot. Do other things meanwhile..
3. after 15-20 mins, wash the pot and then put in the rice and wash and cook.

I would like to train the maid to think...I know its challenging but I cant believe it cannot be done. My current maid is like a robot. She will do all at one go...not knowing how to plan...but how shld i teach?

kim, yah, very hard to say with maids,

eileen, hmmm gonna be tough if they cannot think for themselves one... what i did was i showed her my style, like say how to wash dishes, then i expect her to follow

Rainbow
I think your maid too dreamy. My hb will question my maid v hard if nat falls or injure herself. He wants to know exactly how, where and when. I told her impt for me to know, cos sometimes head injuries end up maybe vomit or in hosp, very serious. If she can tell us, we can monitor, if she can't tell, means she dreaming!!!
For your maid, You can prob tell her the seriousness. If no change, pls change her, you are putting your son's safety at stake. Wat if she din notice, he pour hot water on himself?

Jambo/ eileen
I know someone who makes the maid handwash the clothes for the whole family, 7 members, walk the kids to sch, back then fetch them again. The walk is from chinatown to rivervalley! I pity these maids, doesn't mean got maid means must make use of them. Wat's wrong with machine wash? Handwash doesn't mean will save a lot of water, but instead waste a lot of time and effort!

Eileen
YOur maid doesn't find the cooker too hot to wash meh? I dun really see when she does it though, just make sure at the end of the day, all things cleaned and dried, can liao.

Kim/Patsy
My maid is the youngest in the family of 8, she is 23, not married. The way she attends to my girl you can tell she has no kids, her eyes wont follow my girl all the while, she will start to look at other nice things or pple ard. We as parents, our eyes locked on our kids when out, we know the sense of responsibility, but ah, I realised young maids dun. So ah, i find still your luck, young/old, with or w/o exp, Indo or Fil...

mon2nat, actually it uses up more water to handwash the clothes everyday!! walk so far! even the kids?? and yes, i feel that the younger maids still want to play play play no sense of responsibility... those with kids will hopefully be a bit more!

Patsy
Sanitary pad into the freezer? and chicken into cupboard? She no see pads b4 ah? They use newspapers like primitive times ah??!!

hi
anyone can advise how to transfer maid out. i've a maid for 6m but decided not to have her anymore, cos always make me angry.

Hi mummies, I keep on laughing when reading the post.. I just dont understand how they think,brain full of grass so cant digest what we told them..

My current maid tot dont want to work with me cos dont like baby care.. she asked me.. 'you already paid all my loan to agent.. so I can go to new employer any time and dont want to go back to agent so dont have to pay 2mths'.. aiyo so selfish.. thinking no need to pay loan,no need to go back agent.. and free.. how about me? which paying her >$2k loan? really think I'm stupid.. I'm the one that losing money.. haiz.. yet think they are very smart...

She can tell me she didnt train maid in indo, and angry when the maid cant work..means she very smart be trainer.. yet can tell me she like to do work her on way..thinking she is exp/good/smart but actually not that why..teach/correct her she dont listen,dont do..now I now why..not forget but think I'm stupid
sad.gif

I really cant tahan indo maid, which their brain cant use..think differently..no common sense..act blur/dont know so no need to do.. so sometimes teach also no use..waste time n we r the one that they think is STUPID..

Liana, thanks for sharing. Her mum has paid for the return tix to come trial at our place for 2 weeks. If shes satisfactory & independent, we dun mind giving her every sunday off. You are right abt the fact that we do celebrate xmas & new year day & the parties are mostly held at our place. I think we need her help on those days.

Jo, thanks for the contract.

Mon2Nat, dunno lah, think like most maids she will blindly do things without thinking lor... i think these days, if you have a maid who knows how to use their brains is a jackpot man! am lucky my maid can think and do things, sometimes think too well
happy.gif
when i ask her to cook something she will experiment and do her own style, so hit and miss sometimes
happy.gif
hehe but good thing is that with kids she's very attentive, and will even tell me if the maids of my friends do things wrong, so i can tell my friends. Pity she wants to go canada lor.. now deciding if i will allow her to transfer or let her go home.

hi all - i wish i find this thread earlier so that I can pour out my agrievances. I've engaged both filo and indo maids before and they all gave me hell of problems. In Feb this year, I decided that I will live without them. However, as my girl is in her terrible two, I dun hv time to do housework and watch her so I'm giving myself one more chance to get HELP from maid to hopefully help me with cleaning and cooking. My new indo maid is arriving on Monday. I am crossing my finger that this new maid at 32 (mum of two), ex-Singapore for 4 yrs with one employer will turn out well.

My personal feel :

Filo maids: Very high up, they think they are really smart becoz they got degree. Their degree cannot land them a job in their own country so against their will, they come to Singapore to act smart. Refuse to obey instruction, very high pride and also very pretentious.

Indo maid : fresh maid really gong gong one, somemore their hygiene is a big problem. Nowadays, those young kampung girls need not do housework liao, so they really do not have experience cleaning up the house. So when they come here, they any how do. Teach them, repeat many times, they will still make the same mistakes, worst show black face. Very childish.

I personally don't think that these maids are really stupid but they act stupid only cos whether they work more or less, we still have to pay their salary. Perhaps they purposely do things to get scolding. So during scolding time, all they do is just stand still - no need to work liao but still get salary.

The probability of getting a good maid according to our living standard is like striking ToTo/Big Sweep. So far I do not have such good luck but I am placing my last bet on the coming one. Wish me luck!!

Mummies,
Need your opinion.
Our family is going back to Australia for 2 weeks over Xmas New Year. I can't take the maid with us because the Aus embassy states that the maid has to have been working with the employer for at least one year before they can accompany the employer to Aus.

So I was thinking I would let her go home to Cebu (Philippines) at this time and come back when we come back . I would just pay for her airfare.

The reason why I would allow her to go back is because her cousin in SGP (not a maid but an expat) is going back and our maid will be alone here during the holiday period and she might be lonely and depressed.

Would you allow this if she promised to come back?

Back