Advice on Myanmar Maid

Hi Mommies,

Can anyone tell me if its easy to bring Myanmar maid to Malaysia?

Thanks,
rona

hi rona, i tink i replied u in the other thread.. for myanmar maid to go msia. u got to apply a visa for them.. apply for multiable trip one.. i tink cost ard $30. u can apply at WTS travel or other travel agency appt by msia embassy.. when u bring ur maid to msia, remember to bring her work permit too.

Hi May,

Is there any time frame? Like the visa even though its for multible trip, will expires in 3 months time or something like that? Is it easy to get the visa?

Cheers

hi, yes there's time frame.. normally u can try apply for 1 yr.. but it will depends on the embassy hw many mths they want to give.. for mine, i was given like 10mths. its easy to apply... waiting period ard 1wk.

msia visa easier.. for thailand.. the visa very troublesome to apply.. need to pay like $500 / $1000 deposit.. dan have to bring the return air ticket to their embassy for them to verify... and the visa cost like duno $50 or $100.

Kanna Sai,
I am surprise to hear that your maid is from Yangon.
It's the city and capitol of Myanmar. How can she do such thing ? Is it lie in Biodata again.
My maid also from Yangon but don't so such thing but sometime also "not so smart".
Sigh,...... I hope my children can go to Childcare soon so I don't have to hire maid. Till now..... about 1 year already, I still don't have "peace of mind" at home because there is a stranger staying with us.

hi supperhappymum, haiz, sian, tonite she nvr bathe agn, zzzzz super earli agn coz she heard me telling my hb tat i tink tonite is d 7th mth 14, she scared ma. i tink she got sum mental prob ... agn tdy i boiled black chic soup, agn she drank more than us ... coz nn more tonic in anticipating of meeting her 7th mth frenz ma owhhhhhh ha ha ha. super sian hv such a siao ting tong.

At least yr burmese maid is okie, mine haiz sian, she is super no manners n rude too juz lk her new employer to be.

Kanna Sai,
Do you still keep your Myanmar maid? I thought you have changed to a Filipino ?

My maid also take more soup and ingredients for herself. Thus, I don't allow her to take soup for us. I will do it myself. Also, I don't let my maid eat the tonic soup.

Hi all, I'm new here!

Any updates on experience with Myanmar maids? My Indon maid is leaving mid sept, I thought of getting a Christian Myanmar maid so can eat pork. There's only hubby and I, so I just need her to clean well, cook, wash and iron. She must have good personal hygiene habits and good sense of hygiene

I went on line, checked out a few agencies, looking at the Mya maid selections and photo/biodata. Saw many Christian ones.

I called my previous maid agency (they don't have website), Indon and Mya salary start at S$330. Any one can confirm this? My current maid was employed 5 years ago. What's the going rate for maid packages/agency fees these days? Any recommendation on agencies? Thanks.

Most Mya are U grads, can they really take to working as a maid? I don't mind slow worker but has to clean properly, I can't stand superficial cleaning job because there's no kids (yet)or old folks to tend to, I expect a very clean house.

I rather learn Mya than to teach them English or Mandarin to avoid them knowing to much details of family conversations. Mya hard to learn? I suppose much harder than Bahasa Indon!!!

Any comments and advice, thanks!!!

superhappymum, haiz, d new empl can onli tk her on 06 sept, i onli tkg d fili maid aft we come back fm vacation on 08 sept, we wl b away end aug haiz, despite doing hse tsf for more than 1 mth, i still hv to pay for d siao ting tong levy until new empl tks her, haiz super sian nvr ever do biz wiz relative agt n eve ting is to d new empl convenience.

u r rite, when it comes to tonic, i wl do it myself liao now, no more d maid scoop!

Stshaw, my siao ting tong is a burmese, so u c how ... fm what i hear ... a lot of cases, burmese siao ting tong & see ghost juz lk my maid.

my maid is fm yangon n she is uni grad, veri slow, always see ghost, hates kids, fav is tell lies, nvr wash hair when she hv menses, bathe onli once a day, nvr bathe at times n some times, nvr bathe 2 - 3 days in a row (i told her hygiene is veri imp but she juz dun care), eat lk a 7th mth, english veri poor, alw show black face, fav word .... owhhhhhhhhhhh ... for burmese, their pride veri strong, can not scold, we empl must alw say tq and pls but in their vocab, no such words!

fm wat i c, those fm high sch r bttr workers, uni grad r more difficult. i find burmese maids r more here to look n see type, treating it lk a vacation lor ... according to my relative agt, she brought in a lot of burmese maids but d longest one is wk 1.5 yrs, so far none of hers finish their ctr but i tink it is coz my agt veri nice 2 maids lor haiz.

hi stshaw, best dun take u grads from myanmar.. mostly cannot take it to be maid.. mine came thinking she's working as a hse nurse. no need to do hsework. Mya hard to learn.. i really cannot catch head or tail at all.. and hor.. alot of myanmar working here understands chinese. My 1st myanmar maid was paid at $320 w/o off day, current one paid at $370 w/o off day.

Hi Kanna sai and May

Thanks for advice, it appears that Mya maids are really not a good choice! Read from another forum lots of negative views as well.

The agency told me yesterday that Indon maids need to wait like 1-2 months because Indon side, puasa month, slow in process, maid supply low etc.

I don't think I can stand those maids always black face type. If they have poor personal hygiene, how to trust them with our personal stuff, washing clothes and all?

U grad and still poor in personal hygiene?!?!? I thought only kampong/farmer ones are like that!

If they think working as maid beneath their U education, then it's very difficult.

How big is the average house size here? How to just employ one house nurse for kids or old folks and one just to do housework, not to mention the levy and salary too.

Thanks gals!

hi stshaw, actually it all depends on ur luck... My U grad one actually got good hygience... she clean quite good oso.. but just dat u cannot scold her.. or she will feel wei qu..

hi stshaw, despite bad personal hygiene, d siao ting tong hse wk is not bad, my hse is quite clean n not dusty ... i wud say it is more on their attitude prob, pride n mindset (mine dun bathe & etc. due to beliefs reasons, lk d olden days belief tat can not bathe/wash hair during confinement kind lor).

Hi mummies,

what kinda skills do you expect from myanmar maid??
Language??
Hygiene??
just got one..:<

hi alamak, u so funny..

hi jnk, cant expect any skills from dem.. cos dey live differently in myanmar.. but language wise, i tink alot understands or can speak some chinese. hw's ur maid?

Hi Kannasai
So you are soon rid of your Mya maid according to your posts?

Hi May
Are you letting go your Mya maid soon? Will you be getting another one Mya or others?

hi may, o ya, i forgot mine oso got a few other special skills ... tell lies skills, test bed skills, check aircond skills n break/spoil tings skills - this morn, broke a glass jar. broke d jar, not a sgl word of sori, tink she did it on purpose.

hi stshaw, yes, she going soon end of d mth, for d time being, still hv to tolerate her lor ... juz can not underst tem, want to go liao ... still so much see ghost nonsense ... she more lk mental prob - shock circuit up there lor.

hi stshaw, keeping mine for now.. cos she got improvement after our talk. so until she got more action dan will consider...

alamak, haha... very skillful wor

Hi all
My Myanmar maid's contract is expiring in Oct. I am renewing her. Many times I thought of changing her but I give her chances.

She cannot get along with my mother, has no mannerism (no thank you n pls unless u ask her to say it), black face initially when we reprimanded her, now slightly better, can be stubborn at times, likes to boast in front of me etc.

The only reason I keep her is she takes good care of my younger gal and I will let her go when my gal is much older and she will be of no use to me! She can speak Mandarin and some English now under our influence..

Hi all

I went to the agency and finally chose a indon maid.
There were plenty of mya maid biodata and there was 1 mya maid present. The agent called her over and I spoke to her. She can understand me but her accent was....kind of like short tongue, mumbled speech, she had to repeat many times for me to understand what she was trying to say. The agent said that most of them speak this way, it's their language accent. Forget it!!!!

After my present maid leaves in mid sept, I'll be away, so I've asked the new maid to be ready for pick up end of sept. Everything has increased in price!!! I paid close to $600 for agency fees including insurance and bond insurance.

hi may, veri skillful rite, gd luck 2 her new employer lor owhhhhhhhhh .... ha ha ha.

Hi emma, veri similar lor, burmese maids got no manners wan, all same same n veri gd in showing black face. Yrs got any owhhhhhhhhh or not?

Hi stshaw, hope u get a good maid too lor.
ya lor, kind of short tongue rite, mumbled speech n their accent diff to underst rite, ya lor, tat was wat we were facing wiz d siao ting tong lor. dun no wat she is talking or asking haiz. my siao ting tong eng veri bad, tat day she went up to my rm to tell me, bang bang, tat box ... straight aw i knew it was d pop sound in d microw oven lor ... my kids were curious how come i underst wat she was saying ... ha ha ha ... aft few mths wiz her, she nvr try to unders us ... so we as empl must try to underst her lor ha ha ha.

hi emma, owhhhhhhh hor, when we call her or she answ us hor ... i/o saying yes ... she wl say owhhhhh lor, one of burmese maid fav words lor.

For bathing wise, my maid bath 2 times a day. However, I would also say her hygiene is not so good also. I catch her 2 times keeping her menses pad (with little blood) for days. I don't know how long coz the 2nd time I catch her, I pretend I don't see and monitor. She keep for 7 days from the day that I notice it....I can't stand and confront her asking if she wants to keep for next month use. Then, she says she forget to throw.

Ya ya, sometime she also show black face even don't talk to my children. What I do is show black face to her also, Ignore her. Don't talk to her till her face gets back to normal. Show her who is the boss.

Oh ya, one thing to remind you all. Don't scold your Myanmar maid "Only eat and sleep". To them, this words are insulting them. I also notice Myanmar Pride is very super high.
My MIL says these words when she is very angry with both my and my DIL's filipino maid. My maid becomes very angry and cry. She says the words mean "like a dog" to them.

Hi Kanna sai
You so cute!!!! Thank God, you will soon be rid of her. I think long term for me, i'd be so stressed trying to understand this type of English! Cannot tahan man! owhhhhhhh?!?!?!?

At the agency, saw my new indon maid on webcam and heard her on speaker phone. Appears to be responsive. I had short listed 3 maids. At the indon side maid dorm, it was very noisy.

The 1st maid was either not responsive or could not hear us (agent questioning them in bahasa indon), kept repeating 'yes, mam, yes mam...' to every question, her name;age;how many siblings...all yes mam, not so smiling face. No working experience at all.

The 3rd one, not so smiling face, not very responsive. Worked in indon for a year.

The 2nd one, was more responsive, the agent asked her questions about her biodata, she answered accordingly clearly and with a smile. She's worked in indon house maid for a year. She's married with children, hope she's matured and responsible and take this job seriously.

The agency said indon maid very little selection these days!

I just pray that she's healthly, obedient, honest and dependable that cleans well!

Hi SuperHappyMum
Wah...........forget to throw her stained pad. where does she keep it?!?! why so weird?!?!

hi super happy mum, ya lor, myanmar maid, hygiene not veri good, how 2 forget to throw d pad for 7 days, she must b wanting 2 keep n use next mth lor. ya ya, d myanmar pride veri super high, not 2 say scold hor, tell her d mistakes oso veri diff. this one if i show her black face back hor, tings wl happen hor lk more of seeing ghost stories to my kids hor. So nowadays, when she downst, i upst, she in d kitchen, i in d hall, she in d gdn, i in d hse hor, dun wan 2 see her. Yr maid got sit cross legged in darkness or not? Tis one alw sit in d kitchen n cross legged to do her wk n even when she sweep/mop d flr but of course she do tat when she tinks i m not lkg la.

hi stshaw, yr choice seems not bad la, shud be okie, married wiz kids shud b more serious to wk lor. at least not so much culture diff lk burmese maid lor ... @ least no owhhhhhhh.

It seems so slow, on thurs, she dreaming agn n until my son ran across d road aft he alighted fm d school bus. i tried explaining 2 d siao ting tong how serious it was, she can not underst, she said she nvr do it ... haiz, sian, this morn, my son woke up earli, downst playing whole morn, d siao ting tong in d kitchen sitting on d flr ... she nvr even gv him a sgl drop of water to drink.

kanna sai,
Your maid really unacceptable. Why don't you just cancel her work permit and send her home? If not, another family will be in trouble again.

stshaw,
I didn't forget, I just want to "see" how long she want to keep until 7th day, I really buay tahan liao.

Hi SuperHappyMum

Sorry for not being clear before, I meant to ask where did your maid keep her stained pad? How can she forget to throw it away? Is it not rubbish to her?!?!?

Stained panties, I can understand.... maybe meaning to keep, then wash blood stain off later and then forgot all about it, left it unwashed somewhere.

How and where did you find her stained sanitary pad?

superhappymum, relative agt dun allow la coz d siao ting tong still hv loan outstanding ma, she ev day dreaming in her own world, dunno wat she is doing, one moment break tings, next moment, my son ran accross d rd, on top of tat nvr lk aft my kids at all ... she no heart to work ma ... she lkg fwd to going to her new rude empl ma ... ha ha ha, let her kanna thr lor, d new empl, d man hor super duper rude lor, d son super duper naughtier than my kids lor

Dear all,

after reading ur views on mya maids. i think we all might hv a misconception abt them. i admit that they are new esp when there are so many filip n indon maids ard. they have alot alot to learn. but they are humble.

i hired a mya maid too. she is a christian and a mother of 3. she comes from a village and her family are rice farmers. her father is a pastor and her mom sells medicine etc in a market. i am bless to have her in my household. its really God given. although for the 1st 2 mths i practically vomit blood cos it was hard teaching her. but she is infact very down to earth and humble.
yes she is super slow. cos thats her way of living in her village. but she is very clean. yes she is forgetful, but she is really trying hard to remember things.

we have to keep in mind that, pple that come from those countries are not used to life in sgp. sgp is a very fast pace country. compared to them is a whole lot of diff. my PILs were so so so frustrated with her cos they expect her to know everything when she is here. we are all human beings. we all need time to learn. let alone someone that comes from a diff country n a diff culture.

because she is a mother of 3. she understands a love of a mother. n she loves my son as her own. she sings songs to him and play with him. education wise, her language is not a problem as she is learning fast. she actually reads the dictionary. and she ask the meaning of words, eng or chinese, if she doesn't understand.

she understands basic hygiene. when she 1st came in, we also told her that cos she is taking care of bb so she must b very clean. we let her bath when she wants to. so she baths twice a day. and she brushes her teeth regularly. she noes wat needs to be separated to wash. and wat needs to be washed by hand or by machine.

i dun deny i had that hard time training her when she just came. but that period is over. now its just as n when training. on the job training.

pls dun look down on them. they are really v hardworking n humble. but sometimes comes across as proud n ya ya. but they hv no ill intentions.

always remember...maids are also human beings just like us. we all need time to adapt to new environments.

hope u all will find THE maid soon.

my myanmar cant seem to get along with my mom and she will show her displeasure on her face, I can tell right away whether she is happy or not.

Today I m pissed off as dono y she black face again and not eating dinner. I asked her is it she has too much lunch!

if she dares, then dont eat dinner for the rest of the week !!

shernyce tan, in every nat, there r some gd ones n some black sheeps. Same goes for fili n indo maids. U r certainly one of d luckier ones that yr myanmar maid works out. i suppose yrs is high school n d fact that she is a christian n father is a pastor plays an important part. Anyw, how long has she been with u? true colour is yet to come out.

I agree with u that in gen, most of them r hardworking n humble but their super high pride mks things very difficult, ie. this means that saying gd morning, pls, thank you, sorry &amp; etc. is like very ‘no face’ for them which leads to being no manners and oso to showing black face whenever they r not happy with something n showing no respects for empl esp. elderly.

Tis morn, my siao maid forgot to tk out d pork fm d freezer whch i asked her to b4 she goes to zzzzz, she nvr even bother to say sorry n nvr even bother to do it, she juz says she forgot n lk down on her toes n walked away! Must b, yday nite, see ghost again haiz (she alw sees ghost … ha ha ha siao lor).

In general, I find that the hygiene is not very good, my son cc has 2 cases of hfmd n I tried expl to her yday abt d importance of hygiene n that must wash my son’s hands immed when he comes home fm cc n expl until I really sick, she still do not underst n ltr tat eve, she was keeping my son’s clothes in his cabinet and as the aircond was on (she was standing near d aircond), she sneezed, she dun bother to even cover her nose at all - germs, discharge &amp; etc. landed on my son’s clothes &amp; the cabinet. When I explained to her, she does not underst n nvr says sorry or excuse me when she sneezes. She juz closed back d cabinet n walked downst. U mean, my son’s clothes lk tat full of mucus oso can ha! I got no choice but to take the top few ones to wash in d washing machine lor.

Tis morn hor, she choked hor (coughing sound), she oso nvr cover her mouth hor whch means tat she does not bother abt hygiene lor coz yday, i expl to her n demo to her wat she must do when she cough or sneeze hor.

emma, same same la, myanmar maid in general got no respects for elderly lor n alw show black face, let her show black face lor, dun want to eat hor, bttr lor, dun care. She really no manners.

Superhappymun, i m curious how did u find out tat she is keepg her pad? u mean she keep it in her cupboard or wat? i noe my maid has menses wen she throws thgs directly into the chute after her toilet sessions. Wen i c tat, i will take it tat she is having her menses and is doing wat we normally do. change and throw down e chute.

Shernyce, it is reali down to luck wen getting a maid. we are the lucki ones to have a better helper. i fully understand e fustration of other mummies who encounter problematic maids. some of my friens also encounter maids tat r problematic. it can be reali veri bad 1. my frien's maid go n complain 2 ppl tat my frien didnt let her sleep but tat was tat 1 occasion wen my frien was so sick tat she cant wake up at night to feed her baby n have e maid 2 do it. just 4 tat nite u noe. end up she go telg tales to her neighbours.

I am reali lucki, i started work liao so i brght my maid with my daughter 2 my grandma plc. my grandma likes her n so far she is stil veri respectful 2 my grandma n even my uncle. lik wen she gng 4 her meal, she wil ask tem 2 eat. wen she leave, she wil oso purpose say 'ah ma/uncle, bye bye' she is forever sayg thank u. wen i ask her 2 go 2 bed earlier, she say thk u. i ask her eat, she oso say thk u. i tel her whole family gng out, wil b bringing her along 2 take ferris wheel she oso thank u. even wen i say take photo 2gether, she oso thank u. if i tel her my hubby nt hapi wif sm thgs she does, she wil say sorry to me n stil purposely say sorry 2 my hubby.

lim leng, yr maid reali ev one dream maid lor n u r rite tat depends on our luck ... yrs is super humble coz she high sch ... uni grad a bit haiz ... yr maid lk my 1st fili maid lor, ev ting oso thank you, eat oso tell ev one she is eating, when she flwd me 2 reltv hse oso she voluntarily go helped 2 do d hsewk n d 1st time i brought her for hols, i was shocked when she rushed into d htl rms to clean all d tables, dressing tbl &amp; etc, not onli tat she even washed d toilet b4 she let us use. She reali veri nan de n tat was why she wk 5 yrs for us. Too bad, she earn enuf liao n wan to retire.

My Myanmar maid has been with me for 18months and will be going back by Feb 09. I count my blessing to have this maid. She sings to my son, shows him the pictures and teaches him, bathes him, accompanies him for his naps, doing housework ( I am not a fussy person tho', so I would say it's pretty reasonable std). Anyway, so long as I can see my son is happy, it's fine with me. As I am having some family problem now, she's very nice and volunteered to accompany my son to sleep at night. I cant imagine how would I cope without her when she goes back to study...

Shernyce Tan, Lim Leng, could you PM me where you got your maid from? Considering getting a mya maid (1st maid).

Any advise on what the initial cost will be like until she actually starts work?

Thanks!

alamak, its such a pity tat yr filipin maid has to go. my auntie used to have 1 for many yrs and she is veri gd as well. she went back after my cousins grow up and no longer need sm1 at hm 2 look after tem. Good luck to u! hope ur new 1 wil be as gd.

hi lim leng, tks, i hope d replacement is gd n mb lk yr maid too. i hope i wl not be tat suay. mb i shud hv retained her for anot yr coz at tat time, she said she can stay for anoth yr wiz me but i tot nvr mind sooner or ltr she going home, so i might as well train anoth one ... haiz. she has lttl edu but she speaks well n teaches my kids, sing songs to them, dance wiz them, play wiz them, veri close to my kids n i can see how much she loves them.

For those interested in Myanmar maids, this is my advice. I have 2 so far (one currently). The first one was for 3 years and she wanted to go back. The current one has been with me for 5 years. One very crucial tip (that I got from someone whose wife is Myanmese). The honest and mild ones should be those from "tribal line " ...pronounced something like Karen or Karin. They are mostly Christians. Those that are "Buddhist" are usually Chinese Myanmese and I think they have influenced from its "China" border. The Chinese Buddhist kind are less reliable and have a reputation of "running" away. Those tribes kind are more tolerant, mild and unlikely to have ill intentions compared to the "chinese" ones. Yes- communication can be a problem but the ones I got have "worked" here before so no problem when I took them.

Back