Advice on Myanmar Maid

lol... mambopolice.. no la.. i dun have schedule.. i jus write out a list of wat i wan them to do...

basically mine is bad luck.. cos the 1st one came very good. i took leave to train her, dan later myanmar cyclone, her family affected. so i lent her $$ to send back.. after $$ send, no dun wan to work.. say miss her child child wan to go home after 3mths.. after i trf her to another employer.. her nxt employer send her home cos she everyday cry say wan to go home.. took with her the $$ i loan her and lots of new clothes i bot for her.. when she's gone, i found out that alot of my children clothes oso gone.

2nd maid say she was 'cheated', tot she's here to be nurse.. told me she cannot take it to be a maid... her fren here all professional taught her to go back myanmar and say will help her to reapply nurse back to sg. tis one ran away despite me telling her nicely counsellor her and say if she really cannot, i will send her back agent dan maybe she can work out somethting with agent.

3rd maid, trf 2 times work 8mths in SG. i am her 3rd employer. i ask her she wan to work or go myanmar b4 i got her in the agency, she said go back myanmar. but agent ask a few times more later, she says wan to work. I went back another day to double chk with her she confirm wan to work? she say yes.. wan to earn more $$ dan go back myanmar. Got very bad teeth.. looks abit scary but assure me she work very hard and is clean.. so fine i took her home.. but hor.. omg!!! scatch backside everytime u talk to her.. even dig her back side infront of me while i was having dinner.. but i tot nvm... renzz... train her... dan hor best part is the 3rd day i left at her home ard 12 nn ask her to clean the hse. i came back 8plus. she has on her light in her room, get ready to sleep. but hse work all not done.. clothes not kept whole day oni vaccum and mop floor despite i aldy told her what to do.. everything she forget to do. Fedup, told her off.. but not tell her off in very fierce type... 4th day morning she tried to run away in the car. fortuanately i pull her back if not a lorry will bang into her and the car door. dan she told me she wan to go back myanmar. she doesnt wan to work.

there's some mummies here who got good myanmar maid.. I hope u will be one of them. :)

my agent keeps delaying and telling me that air tickets are hard to get.. finally only coming on wed.. sigh.. wait super long, and i'm gonna go back to work.

may, the myanmar maids all seem to say that they want to go home.. never had this problem with my mom's previous indo maids

swong, i tink myanmar standard of living very different from us.. so for them.. once dey earn $$ to send back, they think its enuf aldy.. no need to work anymore.. i jus saw my 2nd myanmar maid trf another time... faint... tink she's on her 4th employer and still havent finish paying her loan.

My maid started work at my place yesterday. So far so good and her English is not as bad as feared (after reading the posts here). She is able to understand our instructions without us having to write it out on paper.

Some say true colours will come out after 2 weeks? Will wait and see... *fingers crossed*

morning mummies, i got a shock of my life when i went home yday n saw d maid washing d water heater with water, oh my oh my, i told her when she 1st came oredi tat water heater can not wash with water, only wipe with cloth. She den explained to me tat d maid at d agent hse tot her to do so, d maid there tot her to spray hot water on the water heater and wash d toilet. this maid tot her to do all d hsewk & etc b4 she was picked up by d new emply.

Guess wat ... who is tat maid ... my siao ting tong myanmar maid! I specified to d relative agent tat not to let my new fili maid see d siao ting tong myanmar maid n she said yes of course no, she wl nvr ever do tat ... not onli she did tat but asked d siao ting tong myanmar maid to teach my new fili maid for 3 days ... she has won d maid agency of d yr award, X#$@%^? mummies, nvr trust tis agt n nvr use her ... despicable, worst agent! n i dunno that a myanmar maid can be such vicious! Besides teaching tat, d siao ting tong myanmar maid oso tot a lot of wrong things to my new fili maid.

Mummies, do u tink i shud call up my relative agt n ask her abt tis?

Dear All,

I need some help from some one that is able to read burma language from the Chin State in Myanmar. If anyone is able to help me, pls PM me.

this is urgent, private and confidential. would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks

Shernyce

just to update ... my new maid has come for about 1 month, and i'm very happy with her. although her english is not so good, she tells me when she cannot understand and asks me to speak slower.

she knows how to take initiative over some things, but always ask me if she can do something most of the time. i've trained her to pack my baby's bag and milk when we go in the morning and also to do the housework which she does well.. so i'm very happy with her. not sure if true colours will come out later, but for the moment, i'm very glad that i have her!

shernyce,
you wanna read ur maid's letter? :)

swong,
urs also from myanmar? Mine is here for 2 months and i'm still not very happy with her. No initiative and when dun understand, still say "Yes mum". Some things say many times still dun remember. For 2 ocassions, she only told me no more rice after the rice bin is empty and I told her to cook. Told her to greet my parents when she sees them, got to say so many times and still need me to signal her to do it before she'll greet them.

Sent my maid back to the agency early this week. This is supposed to be the start of her 4th week. She was homesick and kept asking to go home every couple of days. Even told us to lie to the agency that she is sick and cannot work - she thinks that will be able to get her home. After trying to convince her on various occasions, we gave up. Her attitude was becoming bad (maybe her way of forcing us to send her back) and asking us to lie was the last straw.

Work wise, not that hard working and "cut corners". When asked to sweep the floor, did not sweep area under the dining table. There was once she actually hung her clothes out to dry when the sun came out instead of putting our wet ones out to dry *wa piang*. And a tendency to say "ok, yes" when she did not understand us - this drove my mum crazy several times.

Within 3 weeks with us, she has "fallen sick" three times. Migraine, flu & "leg pain". On the day when we sent her back to the agency, we found out that she did not take the med we gave her as it accidentally dropped off from her clothes when she was packing them.

Agency willingly took her back and now we cannot take a new/transfer maid until the one we just sent back finds herself a new employee.

On hindsight, an indo maid might have suited us better because my mum speaks a bit of malay and she will be dealing with the maid most of the time. Keeping fingers crossed that this maid will find a new boss soon and we can bring in the replacement soon.

hi mambopolice, omg!!! seems like u oso ganna the black sheep like me. U noe all my 3 myanmars ex maid very sickly.. everyday headache/ sorethroat/ (even more fantastic) eat too full til sick cannot work. Try not to get myanmar maid again.. I tried 3 times.. 3 times failed til now I phobia of maid as 2 of them beat my baby and 1 even nearly cause the my son to fall our of the window. How many child do u have? if u have 2, no need to wait til the nxt trf can jus apply for a new maid.

Hi May,

Your experience sounds scary.. I currently have a 18 month old son. 2nd one coming in Jan09. So cannot apply for 2nd maid immediately.

We have shortlisted another maid who has completed her 1st contract with another employer early this year and is now back in SG. We spoke to her at the agency and her English is quite good for a maid. Have informed the agency that we hope to get this maid but things can only proceed after my 1st maid gets a new boss which I do not know when it will happen.

So is your current maid still from Myanmar? Or you switched to others already?

hi mambopolice, if ur 1st maid doesnt wan to work quite difficult to find another employer oso. How long do u need to give ur agency to transfer the maid? Me after the 3 myanmar now super phobia, initially chosen a fresh indo maid.. but later cancel her application. Too scary to live with such person. I dun wan to live to regret getting another maid and just nice for me. My bb has reach 2yo so I have aldy enroll him into a cc.

Ohh.... never occurred to me to ask how long to give the agency to transfer the maid. I better call them up to check tomorrow. Did not even check what the refund policy is...
sad.gif
Keeping fingers crossed that there will not be any nasty surprises.

The agency told me that new maids are "unstable" during the first few months. From the looks of it, they are probably gonna "give the maid some counselling" until she is ready to join a new employee.

yeah mar...

Actually wanted to read her letter...cos..i needed to noe wat was written. those few weeks she din perform very well...and we were quite unhappy w her.

now she is ok le..but..open on eye close on eye...she is still ok..

mambopolice, sad to hear that yet another myanmar cmi, it is typical for myanmar maid to hv migraine - headaches and wanting to go home, same goes for my prev siao ting tong myanmar maid ... really dunno what most of them r here for ... most tk it lk juz a holiday for them. Is yr newly selected maid a myanmar one too or another race?

shernyce tan, glad to hear that yr myanmar maid is okie agn, hope she keeps it that way.

My newly selected maid also from Myanmar because the agency I went to only has Myanmar maids. Keeping fingers crossed that the 2nd one will be better.

Another friend who got a Myanmar maid reported some slight problems but otherwise she is doing well there.

swong, tks for yr upd, glad to hear that d replacement myanmar maid is wkg out fine, u r lucky.

mambopolice, hope yr replacement turns out to b fine too, wk in sin before, shud b alright. myanmar wiz all d probs @ least, they r not drama queens lk fili maids la.

Hi Hi, my mymmar maid tdat 5mths+ stil doing fine. Had been a great helper.
happy.gif

Alamak, how is ur filipino maid doing so far? see no complains from u, i assume u r lucki tis time round?

hi
My myanmar maid worked for me for 2 years , just renewed her contract.
Overall she is hardworking and got some initiatives but she has no "ren yen" I mean her mannerism is bad. My mom cant get along well with her.

I believe this cant be helped as it might be in her upbringing or culture not to use words like"sorry" and "thank you".

Shernyce,
I'm quite curious what our maid wrote back also actually. Jus few days ago, she received a letter from a friend! I got such a shock. Apparently, she got the adress from the agent in myanmar before she came to singapore.

Luckily, the maid agency i went to has a myanmar person working there. So I went down and ask him to call and talk to my maid. To find out how she find working for me and whether she wanna stay on. Cos on sunday when i was out and called home, she suddenly say wanna call back home. Got him to talk to my maid about being more initiative etc also. Better than we keep repeating in English which she dun understand.

lim leng, u r very lucky but some mummies really mng to get good myanmar maids, yrs shud b doing fine all d way la if d initial few mths were okie. haiz, my new fili haiz, lots of complaints leh, i posted in d other thread la - she is now called Drama Queen by some of d mummies, even worse off than d siao ting tong myanmar maid, can u beat that haiz, i m seeing how things goes, i may go maidless.

emma, nvr mind on d manners, they r born to b lk tat, so long as they r not drama mamas lk fili maids.

marmum, yes, we r all curious to see what they wrote back to their fmly ... hope yr maid improves aft counselling fm d agt.

tdy, my colliq told me abt her frenz indo maid, her frenz caught d indo maid smoking in d toilet, can u beat that, her frenz refused to talk to d maid aft that n a few days ltr, d maid ran away n not still can not be found. so scary leh, all d while, her frenz was full of praises of her maid until she found tat d maid was smoking in d toilet.

kanna_sai,
Ya, my maid will go and find things to do when the scheduled tasks are done. Then if I busy on the computer etc, she'll play with the kids to keep them occupied. But I guess, really take time lor. Like ytd, she went to the room after 8+ when all of us stayed in the masterbedroom. Then we got guests at about 9+. She din't even step out of the room to serve drinks. I believe the agency have taught them. But anyway, my husband did the talking this time, reminding her to serve drinks to guests when they come. At least I won't be the only one giving instructions.

mambopolice, your maid sounds like the very first myanmar maid that i got.. ask me to lie to the agent, keep wanting to go home and also put her clothes to dry in the spot where there is the most sun. and then can tell me that there is not enough place to hang our clothes!

it's been a month, and i'm still quite happy with my new maid. there are some small things that i'm not happy with .. ie asked her to wake up early to do some housework before i have to bring her over to my parents house before work, but she seems to be waking up later and later. still when i check the housework, it all seems to be clean, and when i tell her, she takes it pretty alright, just keeps telling me, 'ok ok' and actually does it. on top of that, when she doesn't understand, she tells me 'don't understand mum'.. which happens because i think i talk very fast.

there was also once i wanted to throw away some left over soup, and she told me that it was still edible, and she ate it for dinner instead.

like i said,it's only been a month, and she gets to go out in the 4th month, so not sure if it will get worse after! fingers crossed.

Hi swong, good for you that the 2nd maid is working out fine so far.

It is coming to almost 2 weeks since I sent my maid back. Now waiting for the new maid to come hopefully by this weekend. Keeping fingers crossed that this new one will not be like the previous one.

I just got my 2nd Myanmar maid as my 1st one finished her 2-yr contract and decided to go home.

Before the first myanmar maid, I had 2 Indonesian maid but I find it troublesome that I have to constantly look for Muslim food for them when outside.

My first myanmar maid is gentle & honest, but very slow in action. In the end, we have to help her do some of the housework. Other than being slow, she's good to my girls and I am generally happy with her performance. After 2 years, she can speak fluent Mandarin which is something I find it 'sayang' that she did not want to stay.

Her reason for not staying is I am going to have my 3rd child in early 2009, she is not confident that she will able to cope with 3 children (which I also think so); so she went back.

For the past 2 weeks, this new Mayanmar maid seemed ok as she brought up her sisters' children in Mayanmar. Her command of English is also quite good...better than my previous Indo maids.

The only worrying thing for me is she can speak good English and even knows email/Internet. Just a bit scared shes just here to take a look at the outside world and no heart to work for long.

I actually engaged both the Mayanmes maid from the same agent (she changed agencies and I folow her). Her service is very good. Agent fee is $588 (for post-dated cheque package).

If anyone interested, I recommend the agent. She will give recommendations.

My new Myanmar maid came slightly more than 1 week ago. This is a replacement for the 1st one who lasted only 3 weeks with us.

This new one is much better in terms of her working attitude. Has not shown any black face so far and can tell she is serious with her work. Have also realised that she will constantly keep herself busy and will not go and hide.

If she really does not know what to do or no more things to do, she automatically comes to ask.

Breath of fresh air and hoping things will stay the same in the days ahead.

Anybody know what is the procedure to extend Myanmar maid work permit after she completed her 2 years contract with us ? Do we need to go back to Agent ?

my myanmar maid here for more than 3 mths. But do things still close her eyes. Ask her do things must specifically say what to do cos she will follow exactly. Like if ask her wipe cupboards, must name exactly which cupboards... very non-automatic. Already told her so many times that she must use initiative and her own discretion but still no use. Say until so tired. Like when she mop floor, she can "close" her eyes and do it one.... I saw strands of hair on the floor after she mop and ask her about it. She can tell me that she din't see it when it is right in front of her.

SuperHappyMum

Agents wil norm chg u...I did it all wif my maid at no chg...

(1) Pay income tax at the Myanmar Embassy (u wil nid to prepare a simple income declaration for her)
(2) Extend her passport
(3) Extend her work permit online

Note: For (1) n (2), b prepared tat the maid wil spend at least 1.5 days at the Myanmar Embassy...when she leaves for home leave...she MUST bring the receipt of her income tax payment...the tax shld come up to abt 10% of her income for her duration of employmt...all in all...my maid paid abt $1K to the Myanmar embassy...

Hi SuperHappyMum,

You have to check her passport expiry. They usually come with a 3-year passport.

What I intended to do last time is, to purchase a 1 year insurance online (NTUC has 1 year insurance), extend her work permi online. Prepare a new contract on our own.

After 1 year, then bring her to embassy to renew her passport (but she will have to pay the tax -10% of their income, before they allow renewal of passport).

Then renew passport and then work permit.

I think you can prepare the contract based on the exisitng one from your agency.

Jacqueline,
Are we suppose to pay the 10% tax for them ?
How about letting them go back for holiday? Is it a MUST ?

Thanks for your reply
happy.gif

SuperHappyMum...

Yeah...it is in S$...$300+ for the passport...and the rest for the tax...my maid paid for all these expenses herself...she knew about them and stopped remitting $ back home 3 months before her contract is up...anyway...my stance is...my family pays our government tax...so foreign workers have to pay their government tax too...our bosses dont pay our tax mah...we are also just an average family...but I do know of families who pay the expenses for their maid...

Regarding home leave...even if your maid agrees not to go home...you will have to pay her the amount equivalent to her airfare...my maid has a daughter...so my hb felt that it was only right that she went home to see her daughter after 2 years...we are also parents afterall...btw...we pay her salary even during her home leave...although I dont know if it is the standard practice...

As for insurance...I took the Maid Package from AIA...my maid only had 9 months left for her passport expiry...and I wanted to lock her for 2 years first...so I went straight to extend her passport...

hi
my maid also extended her passport paying $300, she paid her tax add up ab $800 plus...and spent a day in the embassy, you got to go there early to take queue no and even before it is closed.

I find their system very stupid and waste of time.

I also let her go home for 8 days and she is also paid during her break.

Fizz & Emma,
Thanks for your information.

Anybody know if my maid can choose to "stay" in Singapore after the 2 years contact "trying" to find another new employer?
My maid told me that her friend is leaving Singapore after serving the 2 years contract so she can help her bring her belonging back to her family members. Who knows....after 2 weeks, she told me that her friend is not going back as she has found new employer.

After serving 2 years contract:
Do we have to deal with Agent again when the 2 years contract ended ?
Is it correct, employer just have to buy air ticket, send maid to airport and ensure leave Singapore?
Does employer need to cancel the Work Permit or it is automatically canceled after the due date ?

Sorry for posting so many questions here. I really need that information.

Anybody know if my maid can choose to "stay" in Singapore after the 2 years contact "trying" to find another new employer?
My maid told me that her friend is leaving Singapore after serving the 2 years contract so she can help her bring her belonging back to her family members. Who knows....after 2 weeks, she told me that her friend is not going back as she has found new employer.

After serving 2 years contract:
Do we have to deal with Agent again when the 2 years contract ended ?
Is it correct, employer just have to buy air ticket, send maid to airport and ensure leave Singapore?
Does employer need to cancel the Work Permit or it is automatically canceled after the due date ?

Sorry for posting so many questions here. I really need that information.

mummies,my maid is going bac soon and i wana get a myanmar maid again.but my present agent isn't beri responsible as cheap fees.so i wana cheack if any mummies hav recommendations on gd agents for myanmar maids?thks

hi all im getting a myammar maid soon...will be transferring off my philippino maid of 4mth next week cuz she cant along well with my grandma and kindna not so smiley face (old people dun like)..the new maid should be coming in b4 cny hopefully she's oki my grandma pick her cuz she got smiley face and can understand abit of chinese...pray hard for myself...

hi split, i just went to the agcy to get a myanmar maid to replace my current indo maid. cos my current one's getting slow in her work, show black face & dishonest.

since I'm a FTWM, i've told her that she can eat whatever is at home as long as she ask (if we're around) or at least inform (when we're back). there were a few times when the food was clearly eaten by her but she claimed that she didn't eat or my kids have eaten. don't understand why she had to lie about food??? she's also very picky abt food, gd ones she'll eat alot, if doesn't suit her taste, she'll say full oredi or no appetite.

now just praying the new myanmar maid will turn out ok. any tips from mums in managing/communicating with myanmar maids? TIA
happy.gif

jj_mum,
since you are a FTWM, you won't get to see your maid work in the day, so should be ok.

You got to be very patient with them. They are quite slow in their work. Need to repeat your instructions and ask them if they understand.

You got to bear with them also in terms of the attitude. They will improve but seems like they don't apologize and say 'thank you'. And you got to be very specific in your instructions. Whatever you want her to do, spell it out. Don't assume that she'll do it if you don't tell her. If you want her to clean some places, tell her exactly where to clean.

Back