Advice: How to increase breastmilk amount?

Munchies,
do "take it easy" for a start,
esp. seafoods like prawns & crabs,
cause BB may be allegy.
Introduce foods bit by bit to your BB via breastmilk.
happy.gif

In many countries, BFing/pregnant mums are not encouraged to eat raw fish,
cause their raw fish may not be "fresh raw",
either frozen thrawed or not treated properly before serving.
Diarrhoea/food poisoning will be the last thing we want to hit us during this period. :p

My pleasure, Ms Tan, to have brought you some laughter and delight. :)

Munchies, may not wanna head down to the "NEAREST" sushi restaurant (depends on where u stay lah, of course, if u stay beside Shangri La, then nearest is Nadaman, then yes, shd be safe, but if u stay beside YCK stdm, then maybe nearest not safest..); It'd be prudent to be more selective since this is your first sashimi foray after a long hiatus. LS-ing will not make anyone's day more memorable. Can also dehydrate you if things get serious, then how to make BM?

As mentioned, food safety is key. So select your feasting spot wisely.

Leng Leng, thanks for advice... my son is allegied to seafood so i will not eat prawn and crabs for the moment but i guess i can eat salmon which i really craved for...=P

Hi Nelle.. hahaha thanks for advice.. me staying at Tampines so i will either go to the one in Tampines or one at Novena recommeded by colleague =P

hi leng2,

Yes yes. Tuna 2, my favorite. Only tried e manbuku at tampines one so far. Any gd recommendation?

kuku stella, WHY are you trying to buy domperidone in the "black market" when it is sold off the shelf at every respectable pharmacy?

Domp is a non-prescription drug. Cheaply and readily available.

Of course, if it is a phsychological thing that you think "black market" domperidone is more thrilling and works better, then sure, by all means support the profit margins industry, in which case, let us know and we'll buy some from NTUC and resell you at a much much higher price to up the excitement quotient.

If you do a search on domperidone in this forum, you'd read somewhere about how another mom realised she got fleeced after i told her the retail price.

You have been informed. The choice is yours...

hi nelle,

I tried GNC Frenugreek, MIM nursing Tea all no result on me. My baby is now 4.5 months old. I just started More Milk Plus for 1 week but yet to see any results. In fact after consuming, my supply dipped even further. Was pumping 120ml per session but now only 80ml. I supplement with FM for every night feed.

I am tempted to take the raw Frenugreek. Wonder if it works.

I hope i can BF till 1 year old but SS has been dipping....haiz

Hi Firefly, it is very nice of you to want to continue providing baby with breastmilk for as long as you can.

I am currently doing that for my second child, a two-week old infant. My eldest was on breastmilk for over two years. I don't know how long exactly I can adequately provide breastmilk for, but I just take each day as it comes; sometimes, to
set a deadline like "oh, my eldest had only BM and not a drop of FM, so I must make sure I do that for this baby also so I must hit twpo years plus", I find that too daunting and it gives me unnecessary stress, thus wld think its a good idea to take one day at a time.

Over these few years, I found there are some things that work for me to maintain or up my supply.

For me, bullfrog (and for my tastebuds, kong po tin gai!!! Yum!) seriously ups my supply, quantity and quality. If you're interested, maybe glance at my other posts on this and favourite stall. One good serving can up my supply by abt 30 percent.

Other foods that work for me include threadfin and baby kailan. Sashimi is also good stuff, good for my happiness (esp with Asahi), good for milk (can taste and see the salmon oil floating in the milk, i eat loads you see)

Sleep and hydration is also key for me. Lots of water and at least four hours of sleep per night.

Crying and stress makes my supply plunge. Not that this compels husband to keep my happiness quotient tip top, nay,, didnt work... Kekeke

Papaya soup does nothing for me. I did not try fenugreek and the teas and stuff. Explored a little before, but did not. I think there are some veteran breastfeeding moms here that did and found them useful.

The other thing that is impt is good lactation massage techniques. Proper drainage of breastmilk is very impt. My LC taught me well and fast. One session 3.5 yrs ago and I remember till now everything. She is wonderful. And painful too. Hahaha. She is a dear. We keep in close touch til now. Just met her boss the other day. She "kneaded" me twice within a few hours that day and was a good refresher. I nearly flew off my chair. Clear ducts are very impt,

Domperidone also helped me, esp when we were in London and Paris when eldest was one plus. Negative two degree temperatures, stress and no home support can really threaten bm supply. Domperidone was really useful, coz didnt have bullfrog there. Did rabbit daily though, as our apartment was right beside Harrods and rabbit was cheaper than pork.

Btw, the stuff I wrote on above helped me have more than enough supply for two year plus, i'm not talking abt the first few weeks or mths post birth when hormones are raging. We are very aware of what helped and what didnt as we kept very concise records of ml per breast per pump. I did charting, stats and at one point, even tried calculating speed of flow per minute. Had KPIs too. Haha, that time only one kid, so quite "eng" to run it like a breastmilk enterprise. My highest yield daily was 1.8 litres (prob only for 2mths of that ) while i think the average for most mths after settling down was 1 litre. At two years, I was yielding a daily of 900 + ml, two pumps daily. Btw, i was an "A" cupper pre birth, so it is not true that bigger breasts yield more milk and I'd diss anyone who claims that.

For right now, i am keeping far away from frog, wldnt wanna walk around with salad on my tits again. I had to do that for a few days after this birth and my eldest was laughing away as i pretended to eat cabbage out of my bra! Kekeke

Firefly, Leng Leng is one of the best persons you can ask abt fenugreek here. She is one of the veteran moms here who knows everything abt everything.

In fact, I'm PM-ing her a baby question now. Ms Tan, over to you.

Hi Nelle or any mummy,

Where can i get Domperidone? My supply suddenly took a dip and i thought of thrying that. I asked my gynea once when i first gave birth to my son and he refused to give me and me thinking that this is a prescriptive drug, i probably would not be able to buy it off the shelf w/o doc's prescription.. Can anyone help?

I need to know the exact location that sell.. Eg. Guadian/Watson or NTUC.. Thanks so much

I thought Domperidone requires Doc's prescription. But Nelle mentioned it wasn't. I may be wrong.

Anyway, I got mine from the GP. They are not too willing to dispense if you tell them it's to increase milk supply cos they are not your gynae and thus don't know your condition.

For my case, the GP eventually gave me those pills on the ground of nausea.

Hi Munchies, domperidone is sold at any pharmacy that sells other off-the-shelf drugs like piriton.

Domp used to require a doctor's scrip, but that changed a couple of years back and was downgraded to a off-the-shelf. I used to beg my husband for scrips to get domp. He is not for me domping as (our non-lab hor) taste and visual tests somehow convinced him that the bm is thinner with domp.

Even though domp doesnt req a scrip anymore and is not ex, I really wld strongly suggest to anyone that there are MANY other ways to increasing bm. Domp is NOT a miracle pill. While it is safer than its Category B gastro cousin (i prev wrote another post on that before), it would be pure imagination to think that drugs come with zero side effects.

I only domp as a last resort. Have you reworked your diet, pump or latch patterns, massage techniques, cleared ducts, adequate stimulation, sleep, liquid, soups, super foods like my trusty frog, etc? The thing is that while the side effect of domp can help, you do need to get the other fundamentals right too, for things to last.

Yes, any responsible doc will be reluctant to prescribe anyone huge amts of domperidone for increasing bm. Domp is a Cat C drug. The increasing bm part is a side effect of this gastro drug as it acts on the pit gland. There some some gynaes who wld not prescribe domp, while some do. KKH does, while quite a few in tmc wld not.

If you do decide to use domp, please use according to your gynae or LC's instruction on how the dosage shd start off and decrease.

There really are alot of other ways out there to increase bm the non drug way.

hi firefly,
did the more milk plus work for you (thats the motherlove brand right)? i just bought yday and started taking today (4 tabs/day). or can we up to 9 tabs a day if no effect? i tried fenugreek fr GNC but no effect on me. i actually have Domp from doc but still hesitant to try it (will prob take as last resort). my baby is 10wks old.

have u heard of goat's rue? it was also available in the pharmaplus (camden center) where i got the more milk plus. i read some post that it worked better for them than fenugreek.

im new here and dont know how to search old posts (the search function just brings me to the top of a topic thread and i have to read thru all the posts to search for things..? is that how it works.. hmmm

Hi Nelle,

Thanks for advice.

Im in my fifth month of breastfeeding.. Although i would love to bf as long as possible, i think it is taking a toll on my work and my family life (especially to my elder one). I guess i will stop when my son turns 6mth..

However, the thought of weaning saddens me... =\

Thanks ladies for all the advice given here.. and to all the newbies trying to bf, ALL THE BEST!

Munchies,
you may want to extend longer... why...
Think of all the extra items you need to bring...

1. Hot Water
2. Boiled Water
3. At least 2-3 milk bottles
4. Milk Powder, extra if going out whole day

Also need to "control diet" a bit after stopping BFing,
else can gain weight fast.. hehe...

Will your elder one asked to be latched on?
Mine will leh... hehe...

hi Lengleng,
i took the one fr gnc before which was 610mg per tablet. i took a total of 9tabs a day (3/meal). i finished d bottle already. now im taking motherlove more milk plus where 1 tab = 333mg

Hi Leng Leng,

My son dont latch leh.. ive been pumping since day 3, after the confinement lady introduced the teats and my son refused my breast.. Pumping is a LOT lot more trouble coz got to pump on schedule and have to look for places to pump during weekends.. damn sian..

I lost a lot of weight after i gave birth but bcoz i have been stuffing myself to maintain milk supply, alas i've gained those weight back, now i got a big belly.. so sad

My eldest daughter is already nine and she thinks that bf is very "eeeeeeeK"

jenniferluy,
I see,
JIA YOU.
happy.gif

Rem to drink 3L of water daily...

Nelle,
don't worry about biting,
when he bites, I hit his ears, he learn...
happy.gif

Munchies,
It's easier to drink from bottle than sucking from breast,
you have a smart baby!
5 mths is a long time already, you've done VERY WELL!
*give yourself a pat pat on shoulder*
(PS: Now plan B maybe to lose weight? hehe)

WOW, their age gap so wide!! *salute*
She can help to look after the smaller one too.

JIA YOU EVERYONE!!!
happy.gif

hi

i'm new to this thread, having my second babe a mth ago...initially my supply was gd, now seems like it's dropping...my routine has not changed, frequent of latching & pumping...dunno wat might hve causes it? stress? as my first child having been sick on & off (for abt 3 wks straight while i'm doing my confinement), hve 2 care 4 him & the newborn...

but then when he's sick initially the supply din drop, still going beri well...oni these two days realise it has dropped quite significantly...

my first child, i managed 2 breastfeed him for abt 9 mths, although his was mix bm & fm..tat time my everyday bm pump was just nice for his one day supply...but tis time initially i managed 2 freeze bm & hve over 10 bags of it now....so might b able 2 last my babe till nov/dec if my supply really drop now...but still hope can bf my babe at least 6 mths....

furthermore, one side of my breast having lots more of milk than the other....really a big difference, when i pumped, both side i pump but latching on, initially i'll latch on both side, now mostly is one side, however the other i'll at least latch on once...still having less than the other...

anybody can advice...

Hi,

Could it be blocked ducts? I engage a massage lady who helped to clear the ducts and condition somewhat improved.

Hi munchies

tks...Other than massage lady. can we do it ourselves? izzit just to massage our breast...tis time rd, 4th day i deliver, my breast beri engorged, so i use hot face towel 2 massage my breast & then pump it regularly...2 days later it cleared....

so shd i do like wise, only massage my breast wout using the hot/warm towel?

nt cheap 2 hire a massage lady..hehehe

SM,
try my massage lady,
I used her for all my 3 post natal massage,
as she clear my duct, my milk will spray like fountain!!!

Madam Leha 90181705
She charge $45 for an hour, keep talking to her & she'll forget the time till massage 1.5hours.
I've lend my tummy binding cloth to a mummy,
if you need it, I can try asking for it back.
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng

tks 4 offering the tummy binding cloth..nd nt at the moment ba
happy.gif

u'll nd tat 4 massage? cos i din engage any massage lady for my 2 deliveries...shall consider, tks...
happy.gif

dunno u gals will hve tat feeling, even 4 my first one i hve tis, when the milk comes in, can feel my breast like beri "aching" (like blue black feeling), but knw is the milk tat flows in....dunno izzit cos everytime when i pump my milk, i tend 2 rub or "squeeze" my breast 4 the milk 2 flow out & so led 2 tis feeling..
happy.gif

SM,
whole body massage, to get rid of wind in my tummy too,
bind our tummy to let the size return to pre-pregnacy size faster... hehe...

That's the "letting down" feeling,
during letdown, milk flow is very much faster,
the other breast will leak during this time too.
It's good to have a letdown, but if latch on, the flow may get too fast to baby.

hi leng leng

tks 4 the clarification...
happy.gif

ya, the flow is beri much faster & the other side will leak too..
happy.gif
..happier now cos knw there's milk coming...hehehe

btw, can i seek yr advice on expressed breast milk...tis time rd i managed 2 freeze some BM, how 2 thaw the milk & within how long we hve 2 finish the thawed milk..

yest i thaw the milk by placing it in the chiller compartment...then after 21 hrs (just now), i took it out & warm it 4 my bb, then realise the BM hve some separation (higher part darker, lower part lighter) after warming, got worried cos i've read somewhere, 2 thaw it under running water & after thawing consume it within 12 to 24 hrs..then quickly refer 2 the same article, a few pg later, it says within 12 hrs, i was confused...

but upon seeing the separation & abt consume within 12 hrs, i decided 2 throw away the milk & use a fresher one...

pls advise me on tis..tks.

Hi Sm,

What i did is i thaw in the fridge until i can see that the milk is partially or fully thawed. Then i will put it into a thermo flask filled with 60% hot water and leave it there for 5 to 10mins to warm up, checking regularly to ensure that the hot water has not turned cold. if need be, change another round of warm water to ensure the milk is properly warmed up (my son dont like cold milk). =P

Usually i will prepare the milk half an hour before my son is due for his next feed to mimimise his "HOWLING"

Hope this helps..

Suggest you finish the milk within 10hrs from the time it is fully thawed..

Hi gals, this is my first time logging into this forum. Im not sure if this is the thread to go as there are so many topics available. Really hope somebody can advise me on breastfeeding as I'm at a loss now.

I just gave birth to my boy 2 weeks ago. As I couldnt lacate enough, my boy keeps crying so i had to supplement him with formula. Now I breast feed him about 40 mins before I feed him with formula milk. He sleeps about 3 to 4 hours before each feed.

Is there anyway that i can do to totally switch to breastfeeding. Im actually quite stressed up because my supply is really not enough to meet his needs. When he crys non stop, i can only resort to formula. Sob.

Pls help. Thanks gals.

mummy143, keep up the good work on latching him on. Instead of just latching him on at 3 to 4 hour intervals, try to also stimulate your own supply with a good breast pump. once every 2 to 3 hours. keep on nursing through the night. that's when milk production is the highest.

Hi mummy143,
REST, when baby sleeps, you sleep too.
WATER, rem to drink enough fluid, 2L for yourself, 1L for baby,
red date drink, milk, milo, etc. etc...
FOOD, please eat enough, esp proteins, like fish.

JIA YOU.
happy.gif

hi

just wondering...will baby b used 2 one feeding position & if u switch them, they'll nt wan 2 b fed tat way? Currently my babe (5 wks old) been feeding via the sleeping position (easier 4 mi, as i could sleep as well..hehehe)...i fed her middle of nite, morning & one more time in the afternoon...the rest will b on bottled BM cos i'm afraid the babe will nt wan bottle if latch on all the time (tat's wat happen 2 my SIL babe of 3 mths old)....so far only fed her via the carrying position less than 5 times...

i find tat if can fed her when gg out, can really save the hassel of bringing bottle, milk powder etc..i din do tat 4 my elder one as i'm nt comfortable 2 BF in public & FM can last him longer so when go out he'll always b on FM....

so far haven't really go out long w my newborn, been out abt 2 times but she usually slept through the shopping trip (abt 2-3 hrs), din managed 2 feed her in public...aso cos just nice her feeding time reaches when we wanna go out...so fed her b4 gg out...

oni abt a wk ago, BF her outside when we r distributing cakes 2 relatives...but we rented car, easier 2 BF her in car...but i find her couldn't sleep well after BF her in carrying position nt like in sleeping position, easily fall asleep...dunno izzit just nice b4 tat she already slept 4 quite a while b4 the next feed & tat so couldn't sleep or izzit the feeding position?

so is there such things as getting used 2 feeding position?

hi

sorry, another issue...

i'm currently using Lansinoh milk bag 2 store my BM..after thawing it, out of 3/4 times, 2 times the milk bag leaks after thawing it....

i'm soooo fed up...wasted my milk...dunno izzit the bag nt gd or izzit the way i freeze my milk or wat...cos the fridge my mum is using 4 her food as well..so sometimes after freezing, i'll hve 2 move some of them 2 make space 4 her..when i freeze it, i lay it flat 2 freeze...then when wkend comes, i'll transport some freezed BM 2 my own hse 2 make more space 4 her...

however if there's no freezing of milk, just normal storage, the bag is doing fine...no leakage...

anybody can advice, i still hve 50 bags..tks...

Hello!

AlthoughI used 30 Avent containers for my storage system and not bags, what could be a possible scenario is that you left inadequate no "headspace" in your bags. Might not leak once you solve that.

It works something like this: BM is made up of approx 88 percent water. The hydrogen atoms are bonded by an oxygen atom. When the liquid freezes, the bonding between the two gets more "open", leading to what we see as expansion (actually a reduction in density). So the stored BM in your bags expands by approx 9 to 10 percent and leaks out. The same will happen for Avent or any other storage device if you didnt leave "headspace" to cater for expansion.

So, must remember that water expands when freezed.

The same problem actually happens too, when we freeze fruits.

When we freeze the fruit (errr... Not bananas hor, but fruits like watermelon, strawberries, melons, fruits with significant water content), the freezing process causes the water to burst the cells. So when you thaw the frozen fruit, be ready to have juices flowing out, so be ready with a bowl or deep dish.

Then you ask, WHO on earth in Singapore freeze fruits?!?? Errr.... Yea, some people do, to keep excess fruit like berries and what not for making pie or dessert another day. Or when we buy frozen fruit from the grocer, be ready for some juice to flow when thawing.

hi nelle

tks 4 clarifying, but wat u meant is tat do not store the BM up to the max capacity of the bag har...or when we lay it flat 2 freeze, do lay it totally flat, cos some of the BM tat i froze, cos of the position tat i lay the bag, some of them r in odd shape...will it obstruct it's expansion?

4 the other two, the BM nt tat full...but it leaks..

SM, I've used Lansinoh with no problems at all.. no leakages.. and I froze 375 bags. What I did was to only fill it up to the max as indicated on the package (180ml). Then I carefully squeeze out all the air. Before laying it flat. It doesn't matter how I lay them, as long as nothing hard is on them before they totally freeze into a hard solid. You muist remember to squeeze out ALL the air cos air does take up space also. actually I tried to store up to 220ml with no problems at all too.. but won't advice you to do it until you have made sure you can store 180ml, with all air squeezed out and no leakage. cos milk is so precious.

wow! 375 bags takes up serious space! i suppose you had a separate deep freezer, or how did you make space?

Yes, like what cactus 79 said, there wld be a max marking, and gotta squeeze out the air. Air is also volume, and when forced to, expanding liquid n air will find a way out, splitting a little slit if need be. for my avent cups, the air gets displaced during expansion. When i try to push my luck n puts in more, sometimes i get away with it, sometimes, the frozen milk oozes out like icee. wld usually work when i break rules n factor in ten percent expansion.

I do not think freeze position shd make a difference. But moms who used bags wld be in a better position to comment. Cactus 79 prob takes the icing on d cake with her 375 bags! Way to go!

Nelle, yup, I had a separate deep freezer (108l) but that wasn't really enough. my fridge has 3 doors. the freezer on top, and the larger door for everything else at the bottom. in th emiddle is a separate compartment with a separate door that can be adjusted to no cold air, fridge temp, or freezer temp. I also stored milk there.. but only about 70 bags or so.

Yup, it's true that freezing position doesn't matter, but before the milk has completely frozen, please don't place anything hard or heavy on it because if you do, there is no space for the milk to expand when it freezes. it is more likely to leak along the seams. once milk is frozen, it's okay. can place hard frozen bags one over another.

hi nelle & cactus_79

tks 4 the advice...

hehehe..i'm abit stingy, will fill it more than the package indicated, cos everytime will pump more than 180ml, wanna save the bag...but of cos will nt fill it 2 to the max but leave quite an amt of space 2 squeeze the air out then place in fridge...

usually b4 they froze, i'll place another unfreeze bag on top of the other, tink nt too heavy ba....

okie, will try nt 2 store too much milk in one bag..

at least i knw is nt the bag having problems..
happy.gif

tks...
happy.gif

SM, start with 180ml first (the recommended max on the bag), then squeeze out all the air. Then if you are certain no leak, you can fill in 200ml next and squeeze out all the air. cos the amount you can put in also depends on how much air you can squeeze out. the better you get at this, the more you can fill into the bag. Yes, placing one bag over another is okay.. but not too many.

Back