39 years old pregnant or older....pls share your experience

miko2006

Dear all, Pls share your stories and how you take care if you did give birth at or after 40

I just managed to conceive again after 2 miscarriages...that's why have mixed feelings and in fact very fearful!

I had waited so long to have and carry my own baby FINALLY but the last 2 miscarriage which r both link to "no heartbeat "
for 1st in 2009 and heartbeat stop at week 10th for 2nd in 2010.....

made me very worry!!!!!!

I am self employed and so far I feel my work are manageable so I don't think is due to stress or work related...i also do not have any unwell feeling prior to the 2 eariler miscarraiges...no bleeding...or anything!

Gyne also check all and cannot explain on why no heartbeat happen, just that the embryo is not developing well...and didn't give me any remedies....worse explanation is miscarriages like this is common and happen to 2 in 10 pregnancies

But ...I m 39 this year, I am not young anymore.... I CANNOT afford to lose this baby again......this baby is V V V important to me and I do chant and pray everyday to Buddha

I hope to hear fr u mummies to encouraged me ON....dare not post my story at 2012 mum to be as SAW all of them are SO young 20 - 35, they may not understand my fear and concern

Hi miko, how r u now? Hope you and your bb are fine now. My mum gave birth to me at the age of 42. She had lots of miscarriages before me (abt 6). I'm the lucky one to have survived. But my mu have to stay in hospital for 6mths till I'm born. I'm also born pre-matured at 8+mths. Here I'm expecting my 2nd bb. I try my best to have a bb before 30yrs old but I missed it by 3 wks for my #1.

If my mum with 6 miscarriages can have me. Why can't you. Jia you! Why not ask your gynea to admit you in hospital till bb is stable?

Hi Miko,

Understand how you feel ,its happened to me too.. but I preggy aagin... and my baby is 9 months old now..
how you & your baby are doing fine...

Hi Miko,

I gave birth to my 1st darling girl at the age of 38. My 2nd baby was born 2 weeks ago, and i'm 41 this year.

Enjoy your pregancy and dont worry too much. God will bless us with healthy baby.

Dear all,
I'm 39 and expecting my first baby. 6 months and 3 weeks now. I'm glad to read ladies here have healthy babies. I am excited, but also a tad nervous. Pray and hope everything will be fine.

All the best, eni
happy.gif

Hi miko, hope you and baby are doing well. I too miscarried twice, once in 2010 and again in 2011. Got my rainbow baby in jan this year. Am 38 this year too, so yes, rainbows come after a storm or two!

Thanks mehui
happy.gif

Eliza, congrats. I am looking forward to holding mine in my arms! Can't wait
happy.gif
Kinda sick of doctors mentioning about my age and the higher risk older women might face during pregnancy. Can only stay positive and pray to God that everything will turn out well.

Miko, I am 39 years and I also am pregnant with my first child. It hasn't been an easy first trimester, but I am doing better now.
I work full time and also running my own business on the side. It is very exhausting at times, but staying positive and being happy has helped a lot. I have learned how to disconnect myself from work and my body and mind is more relaxed now. Of course, the emphasis of "older pregnant women have higher risks" does not help at times, but try not to let it consume you. Eating healthily is a must.
happy.gif
I also make sure I eat my pre-natal tablets everyday and do whatever I can to take care. Just did my GCT glucose concentration test to eliminate G.diabetes.
How many months are you now if you don't mind me asking? Take care and all the best to you
happy.gif

Eni, thanks! Yes, it does get tiring, listening to people or drs who mention 'advanced maternal age'. What matters most is to take good care of yourself! What helped was to live one day at a time and praying. All the best!!

Thanks Elza
happy.gif

Did you go through a natural birth or did you have to do a C-section if you don't mind sharing? I am hoping for a natural birth and currently in a process of finding more information about hypnobirth.

Hi Eni, I had a c-section because of placenta previa, so I am afraid I can't share much in the natural birth aspect. However, recovery was fast - I was walking slowly on the second day. I attribute it to my gynae's skills.

Thanks Eliza. I'm glad to hear your recovery was a fast one! Some articles I've read stated natural birth will take a more natural and faster time to heal unlike C-sect, but hearing from 3 mommies (you included) about recovering fast soothes me a bit.
happy.gif

Hi eni,

Did not want to stress myself further, i chose to have c-section for my 2 gal. Recovery was fast, can walk quite well on the 2nd day.

All the best to all mother to be.

Hi mummies,

I got pregnant last July after my 1st try of IVF at SGH. It was a tough journey but i still managed to go through it with all the injections n ops.

Given my "advanced maternal age" ( i just pasted my 38th yr last Dec) my pregnancy was pretty uneventful. I didn't have any morning sickness or swollen limbs like most pregnant ladies do. I still went to work, exercised, shopped and drove around like normal.

The only eventful thing that happened was when i was in wk36 and my water broke at night and i had to be rushed to labor ward. I wasn't expected my baby for another 1mth as my EDD was 6 April. It was a good thing that my water broke when i was a home n not out in the streets.

I wasn't having any contractions even though my water broke. So my Dr had to induce me and after 13hrs labor (with the help of epidural) my son was born on 9 March 2012. Though he was 1mth premature he was of healthy weight.

My son is exactly 3wks old today! I hope to have my 2nd child by 40
happy.gif

Hi Yvonne,

Congrats for you for having a healthy baby.
My age is 39 this year. Im also TTC at the moment.
Intend to try natural before going for any treatment.

congrats yvonne!
I'm glad mommy and baby are safe and well.
I am 34 weeks pregnant now and trying not to panic too much.
happy.gif

It is my first time and even after reading, listening to experts and all, I can't help but feel nervous about the actual delivery date..

Hi all, I just want to share my experience. I have my 4th boy when I was 39 years old. I had no problem with my 3 older boys. Not that I am in for a big family but I wanted to try for a girl. But I am happy that as long as my child is healthy is more important. All my 3 older boys had natural birth. I have to go through Cesarean as my last boy had low placenta. In addition, the gyne found a cyst in my 4th month of pregnancy. I was advise to take it out only after birth as it would be too dangerous for me to go thru and operation. On my 32nd week of pregnancy, I started bleeding. May be it was my age, my hectic work and still have to juggle my 3 other boys. I was hospitalized and told to be in total bed rest. I felt restless as I missed my boys. It was near their SA 2 exams and my husband had to travel during that period. After 5 weeks of hospital stay, my 4th boy was born at exactly 37 weeks. It was worth my effort that I have to go thru all the routine daily hospital test, restricted diet. My boy is healthy .

Amy you are great! I just gave birth on 31st may, was hospitalised last mon due to massive bleeding. I also had low placenta. I stayed in hospital for 11 days before I c section. I already felt restless during the period of the stay, so I understand your feeling. But it's worth the effort.

Hi miko

You are not alone, I gave birth last year when I was 38, also after 2 miscarriage. Actually no intention to try again due to the 2 miscarriage cos I was afraid I cannot take it any more. Anyway accident do happens so I was pregnant again and gave birth to a healthy baby boy. I have no complication during the pregnancy except low amnio fluid which gynae said it didn't affect by age. I dun even need to go thru amnio test as the blood test result shown that i m under low risk. So except that I was more tire than my first born, this one no complication at all. So mike jiayou, you will give birth to cute healthy baby soon.

Congrats to all mummies above 39! I am trying for a second child and I'm 37. It's not easy having a child when you are older but not impossible as the mummies above have shown us.

hi all mommies here, i just turned 39 and finally managed to conceive a pair of twins through ivf. Today is an emotional day for me, when i got my ultrasound and maternal serum results, and one of my twins has 1 in 5 chance of getting down syndrome and 1 in 8 chance of getting trisomy 18. i am worried to go on to amniocentesis due to risk of miscarriage. they are just too precious to me. were any of you in such dilemia before?

Hi Florence, first of all congrats on the successful IVF. This shows that you can get pregnant!

I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. This has to be discussed with your hubby. You guys need to decide on what is best. Would you and hubby want to know or at this stage, it doesn't matter at all?

I do have a friend who is a South African. We worked together. She was told that her baby had Down Syndrome. During that time, she was in Asia and she flew back to South Africa to do the amnio only to find out that the result was negative. She was hesitant at first to do the test, but she and her husband decided to do it to prepare themselves. They were ready to keep the baby regardless of the result.

But this was her story. We are here to support you. Take care and all the best in your decision Florence. Sending you good vibes..

hi florence, sorry to hear abt your dilemma too. i agree with eni that you shld discuss it with your husband. if you are both prepared to accept any results, you shld go for it.

Hi mommies, I'm also 39 planning for 2nd baby. my 5 yr old is an autistic and i was determined not to have another in case it's another autistic so i sold my breast pump. But my daughter has been seeking companion so I decided not to be selfish and also I have faith in God to gimme a normal child. Even if she's another ASD I'm still gonna love and accept her
happy.gif

I thought of seeing gynae only at 2nd semester if possible to save cost but reading the posts here think I'd better not go in too late. Any comments for me?

Aft married for 10 yrs, finally my husband wanted to try which I hv been persuading him for many many yrs. We are both same age, 40. Last yr June started trying, Sept preg but MC @ week 7 as no heartbeat. Rested 3 mths & try, got it but MC again, this x bleeding at week 5 & pass out naturally. So rest 3 mths again, suppose last mth to start but due to my husband selfish act, we only managed to try on the 12th day once. menses came already, now hv to wait another 2 weeks for fertile days. He is forever not co-operating, disorganise and said tired, another day, later, tomorrow, can never follow schedule. Last 2 pregnancy we also tried 2 x during the fertile week only. Other days not fertile week and he wantd to try, i really so upset on such attitude.

This whole yr with the 2 MC, 2 week wait and so on really taken a toll on me. All this is destined, let's see his mood in 2 weeks time aft my menses.

Hi mummies,

I had my 3rd pregnancy when I was 35. I was advise by doctor I am at high risk category which my bb is having higher risk of down syndrome n doctor ask m to do amnio straightaway. Me n hubby has dilemma to abort or keep at that time if the result turn out to b unfavor. While we struggle, we chance upon a video how foetus being remove from maternal. Without finishing the video clip, we decided to keep the bb no matter what. All bb is gift from god. Hence we choose not to do amnio although the scan show high risk of down syndrome due to my age.

My body is weak as my 1st one only come at age 32, 2nd one at 33, too close. During my 3rd pregnancy I further develop gestational diabetes which stress me a lot till the date of delivery. The verdict is i have a normal bb n my blood sugar go back to normal post natal.

What I did for each pregnancy is to stay healthy, observe healthy diet, walk a lot and eat good supplement for foetus development.

Gemine,
You r lucky because u are still very fertile at this age n your hubby is normal. To avoid MC is to make sure foetus have essential nutrients to develop, such as folic, vitamin A, etc. but choose your supplement wisely because not everybody has te same absorption rate of the supplement. Gynae would normally give Obimin n Oscal but my personal experience is I don't get them absorb in my body, that's y my body is weak despite eating healthy food + doc supplement.

Dear Rachel, my husband too confident and we both not much knowledge of fertility, egg quality too. I believe prenatal vitamins indeed a great help as I see 3 gynae (kiasu), they all said usually need 6-12 mths to conceive. I log into US & Europe sites very often and they are all into taking supplements. I initially been taking fr GNC, now my gynae advised up the vitamins C, E & B Complex (included all B types to prevent MC and with folic acid). More & more celebrity, actress give birth in late 30's, they are so stress with competition, filming hours hectic & irregular but got healthy babies, really give me some hope.

Glad u share with me on your experience, bless you & your family. Hope I can have a full term & healthy 1st baby soon!

Gemini,

ya, agree nowadays people tends to have delayed family plan, not only celebrity but also normal people like us due to work stress or financial stress.

If your gynae recommend to you to take more vitamins for the necessary nutriens, why not you try Lifepak? you don't need to eat so many pills to have the variety of nutriens. My friend recommend me Lifepak after knowing my weak body. It is a very comprehensive nutritional suuplement on teh market. It contains folic acid & the necessary B Complex to keep the immunisation level high and also increase the anti-oxidant level.

I did some research on Lifepak before taking, it has proven effective for increasing your skin's carotenoid score & actually it is the only one meeting all the 12 Standards laid out on RDA. GNC products are ranging between 2 to 6 RDA standards only. Moreover, Lifepak is a money-back guarantee product! My score was previously 15,000 (close to cancer patient), after 1 month goes up to 23,000 (better than cancer group), after 3 months to 36,000 (average people group who is taking supplements). I am amaze by these scores because i have been taking supplements bought from gynae & yet my score was only 15,000. Pretty upset with the results of my investment. I start to research the medical info regarding the effectiveness of supplementand found out each brand have different level of effectiveness.

Hey Rachel, great research! Aft turn 30 yrs old, I been eating as healthy as I can, very disciplined, ever ready once my husband is convinced to have our 1st baby. 2 portions of vege & 1 portion of meat, eat light, lucky I dislike fast food, deep fried, western food, no cold drinks and I cut my coffee/tea for 6 mths b4 I try conceive. To 'bu' my egg, I will take more meat: beef/steak 1 a week, brew 1 whole chicken soup, take DOM. Last yr when I plan to conceive, the gynae scan and saw numerous eggs so I stayed optimistics. It's really important to stay healthy so that our eggs at optimal level, however due to my age, definitely need the assistance of prenatal vit to upkeep. I been analysing the vitamins off shelve, those fr Guardian, Watson typical brands composition much lower so I turn to GNC as Spore market very limited choices. I saw on UK, US theirs much better but if order online is too ex.... I will check out Lifepak right away. Thanks heap!

I have few friends around me younger around 35, and 5 of them got 1-2 MC too, and they been trying 1-2yr to get pregnant. And they finally gave birth to healthy baby. And there's another 2 friend gave birth to their 2nd healthy baby at 42. Glad there's so many successful cases mentioned above too, really build up my confidence.

Gemini,

Good job! You have been keeping eating healthily that's not easy to observe. A lot of my friends wants to try conceiving after 35 yrs but still not hear any news, very eager yet do not want to compromise their fastfoods & cold drinks. sigh... can't help much if they don't receive people's advice.

I read some books it said those poor quality embryo will eventually MC. So you do not need to feel bad because what's waiting for you is the good quality & healthy bb ahead. Just prepare yourself till the time it is right for you.

Lifepak is absolutely good!My friend who recommend me Lifepak actually drink g3 Superfruits juice together with Lifepak throughout pregnancy. According to her,her bb born healhtily at that time, her boy now already 7 years old and seldom fall sick. She saves a lot of money on paediatricians :p.

I plan to let my bb girl drink g3 also when she turns 1 year old, missed the best time to "bu" her when she was in my womb.

Hi dreamer, eni and Alison, thanks for your congrats, encouragments and suggestions. My hb was more optimistic than me with the results, and that had helped me kept up an optimistic mind until week 20 scan last week, when all the soft markers are gone! My twin boys are growing above average and I feel really blessed. To all older moms and moms to be, congratz and enjoy the pregnancy!

Hi Mommies and mommies to be,
Just checking in to say hello and sending positive energy to all. I have given birth to my beautiful baby girl six weeks ago and she is doing great. She came in a little late though, but all is well.

FN,congrats my dear. I'm so happy to hear the good news. Now, you can relax a bit and enjoy your pregnancy yeah
happy.gif

Gemini, keep up the positivity! I am turning 40 and was worried before, but I believe that if it is our turn to be a parent, it will happen..
happy.gif

AND Congrats Joanne!

lexnchris, congrats on your first child. They are all very special in their own ways. At times, I work with autistic children and from the bottom of my heart, they are a special lot with a set of unique skills.
happy.gif
As for trying for a second baby, i would go to a doctor now and not wait until 2nd trimester. I know it'll be cheaper to wait, but seeing a OBGYN is worth it.

I hope I'm not missing anyone. And to all mommies, well done and I'm glad we have this thread to exchange experiences and stories. To those who are planning, stay positive and persevere and to those who are pregnant, enjoy your pregnancy! AND of to mommies who just gave birth enjoy your bundle of joy. Everyday is a learning experience for me and I feel so blessed.
Don't forget to drink and eat healthily everyone.

Back