(2012/12) Dec 2012

BPA free doesn't mean prevent colic. It only means something like its "organic". Free of some plastic materials. There are bottles in the market that states that it lessen the chances of colic due the design of the bottles. More popular brands of bottles r NUK n avent.

anyone knows how many baby fairs are there and which is usually the best one? The expo fair end May seems a little early for us to buy things leh esp when we do not know the gender or did all the test (OSCAR and 20 week scan)....

My 2 cents worth of advice to those who wanna tbf, don't buy Avent bottles as Avent teat is harder in material and not closest to breastfeeding. This may confuse bb. Closest to bf bottles are Tommee Tippee, NUK, Dr. Brown, Yoomi (not available in SIN). You all can go feel and compare the teats before deciding on the bottles.

Kong Kong, BPA free has no relation with colic =P. BPA stands for bisphenol A and it is a chemical used to make plastic bottles and some toys, etc..

however, many researches show that BPA will have some possible health effects on babies, etc..i think now US and UK oredi banned BPA to be used for baby bottles...

so for colic, some bottles are designed in a way that the "air" from the bottle when drinking will not be taken into tummy so easily..i think the "air" can somehow escape through its bottle cap or something..

i think bottles are rather personal preference.. depending whether we like fat ones or skinny ones.. plastic teats or rubber teats =)

Kong kong ya, BPA free doesn't means prevent colic. Maybe just happens that your bottle is BPA free n yet prevent colic. Mine is avent bottle. Prevent colic but not BPA free.

I correct my comment. If you want to bottle feed yet able to latch your bb, then you must choose a soft teat which is closest shape to our nipple, otherwise will confuse bb our nipple n bottle teat and bb will just reject either one. The best is to minimize the use of bottle in the early days if you want to suceed in latching. If you prefer to pump and give bm in bottle, then it is okay to use Avent bottle with Avent teat. Go feel the Avent teat and you will know what I mean. Our nipple definitely not so hard as Avent teat.

I think now is still early to buy BB stuff... I remember when I was with #1 who's due date is in Dec also, I waited for Taka BB fair around August then I buy...

I swear by Pigeon pigeon peristaltic nipple bottles. It's good...But the BPA free ones are rather ex. When my #1 is born, he loves NUK latex teat but it becomes deformed very fast after sterilising and so waste alot of $$$...Luckily after awhile, he adapted to Pigeon..So I used that until he turns 2.5 when he switched to cup...

I very avert Pigeon supporter cos I think pricing is reasonable and it's gd..LOL

Anyway, I have a "heavy duty" stroller to sell....It's Graco...Seldom use it as my boy dun like to be in stroller...So anyone interested can let me know...

mummy koh, i like pigeon bottles too but i can't remember if they're air tighted. i use pigeon teats with avent bottles becoz the bottle cover for avent is air tighted. But that was few years ago's research..haha..i need to check again now coz many bottles have improved designs oredi..

i think for my #2, i can reuse my steriliser, pump, cot and pram... i just need to get a new infant car seat.. for my #1, we bought the car only when she was 6 months so she started with stage 2 car seats (7months and above)..so i think i'll just look out for deals for infant car seats.. dun think i wanna get an expensive one coz only using for 6 months

haha paiseh paiseh la,, away from my reply la
happy.gif

Can I ask what's the difference between breastfeeding the baby via latching or thru bottles? Does bottle feeding compromise the quality of the breastmilk?

<font color="0000ff">chubbyfingers</font>

Personally, I didn't see much difference la... Cos my #1 fully depend on expressed BM.

In terms of bonding, my son is very attached to me even though he never latch.

In terms of quantity of milk flow, my milk flow is more than enough for his feeds. So no issues on that.

I dun freeze my milk as bb dun like the taste. So I pour them in the desired amounts into milk bottles and stored in the chiller for at the most 5 days. Everytime before his feed, just take 1 bottle out and warm..So I got about 10 milk bottles! LOL..The rest are stored in milk bags...

So the only reason I can think of is if latch, u no need to warm the milk..so for some mothers, its easier..But I think my bb treat me like human pacifier, he suckle then fell asleep, then when I take it out, he cries...That's why I fed up, so no latching ....LOL

Really? So some mummies prefer latching cos it creates the bond with the baby?

Another qn, does breast feeding come naturally to us? Shld we attend classes to learn how to do it?

morning mommies..
i have some milk bottles that was given to my first child, i have not open the box, do u think the bottles still can b use? kept in the cupboard for 3 yrs..

chubbyfingers, u can either attend antenatal classes or usually the nurses at hospitals should be able to guide u how to do it..

like what mummy koh says, latching is convenient coz no washing necessary but if you will sometimes need people to help you with the feeding while u go out or something.. then u gotta express out..

chubbyfingers > Yes, is individual preference. My bb doesn't use my nipple as pacifier, so I don't have the problem which Mummykoh faced, hence maybe I can latch fully? My #1 will auto unlatch when he had enough of milk. I have no problem in unlatching him. I did use pacifier though. To me, I am a lazy mum, I find it convenient to latch, no need wash/sterilize pumps parts, pump and store, warm milk, wash bottles, bring so many things out. All I need is a nursing shawl/cover when I go out, and I don't need to bring hot water. It's not easy for mummy who fully pump their milk to give in bottle to their baby coz it is really tiring to pump more than 3/4 times a day and have to carry big bag when they go out. I really take my hats off those mummy who fully pump for more than a year. I would have gave up bf if I have to pump fully.

Even though I latch, I also pump as well, when breasts still feel full after latching or when I need to go out w/o bb, then I have to pump before going out. I will make sure I have ample storage of ebm in fridge too for emergency case if I need to go out.

You can attend antenatal classes, but I feel I learn more from asking/talking with experience bf mummies. Some things the classes don't teach.

Good Morning!

used medela bottles for #1 and when he turned 1, switched to pigeon bottles. lucky that #1 didnt have colic, will pray hard same for #2.

just started yesterday using peppermint and lemon essential oil for nausea.. hope it helps. any feedbacks? the nausea feeling is bad as compare to #1.. really every pregnancy is different!

O ya, one main worry of latching which I heard from most of my friends are some babies has difficulties in weaning off when the mother has to return to work after maternity leave.. My niece in fact " goes on a strike" after my sis in law goes back to work.. Took quite sometime for her to take the bottle..

For me, if I am going out, normally I will supplement with formula milk, cos its at the most 1 feed but save the trouble of bringing out my BM and worrying it will be spoil..

From the start I've already decided on exclusive pumping for my #1 so that my husband/confinement lady can feed while I rest. I also think tt though I dun latch, my bb is still very attached to me. Anyway in my case, my bb was born with 2 teeth so imagine if I were to latch, how painful it'll be!

My #1 also hates frozen milk. Even if I were to mix with fresh ebm, she'll also reject the whole bottle.

Really? I din know the statistics but I remember my PD waited for me to wake from my GA to tell hubby &amp; me not to be alarmed abt my bb's teeth haha.

dec mummies-

i found one yoga studio that conducts prenatal yoga with group class commencing 30th June.
Promotion is going at $380 for 10 sessions. They do have private class as well.

I probably do private class in early june and join the group class when it commences.

www.allaboutyoga.com.sg
email : [email protected]

i breastfeed my son till he was 30 months

quitted my latching around a week ago with advise of some mummies

when born, i latch n bottle feed him, c my mood la

but when going out, also c my mood, i can latch, i can bottle feed him too

so when gg to bottles, he have no problem at all

Kidomum, yup I know avent got BPA free bottles just that I didn't get those
happy.gif

Latching, ya latching really makes the whole bfing journey much easier. For #2 I m thinking if I can latch during the day n bottle feed during night so that bb would not reject bottles in the future n I also get to rest at night too.

for me, i think i prefer both latching and expressing.. personally i think during the initial part, especially during the confinement leave period, it is definitely more convenient to latch on when we are full time at home..

however, to prepare going back to work, we gotta train our kid to drink more bottle and there are some kids who go on milk strike like what mummy koh mentioned.

personally, i think for bigger kids (more than 1 year old), i think it's better just to let them drink from bottle.. i've seen some kids outside who'll try to rip their mum's clothes when they are outside just becoz they feel like drinking milk.. i don't really like such sight personally =P

queque, PD nv extract the teeth out? My friend's bb also born with 1 tooth and PD extract the tooth out coz they say scare if it drops n bb swallow will be dangerous, so better remove.

You can start training your bb to drink from bottle 1 mth b4 u return to work. That's what I did. I started half latch half bottle but suddenly bb reject latching and only want bottle. I was so sad and determined to train him back to latching which I did eventually within 1 week and 2-3 weeks b4 I return to work, I slowly give him bottle for few feeds a day and latch fully at night, to let him get used to the routine. I have no problem of bb going milk strike. I think it all depends on babies. My boy also doesn't rip/flip my clothes, he only will point to my breast and nod his head to say he wants milk and when I take out my nursing shawl, he will be very excited and wait patiently for me to latch him in the nursing shawl. Maybe I started early in using nursing shawl to latch him (coz I every week go out during maternity leave) and he knows when outside he has to latch under the nursing shawl.

chubbyfingers, to my experience is suffering for the beginning of breastfeeding. I'm actually abit scare of restarting the bf process, especially when breasts keep feeling engorged and the pain from sore nipples. ouch! Better be mentally prepared is not easy journey. But if you persereve, the later part will be very easy for you. Only the beginning is scary to me.

sasayeo, ya loh, it's actually quite cute and happy to see your precious little one craving for your milk (only the mother has this previlege!)
happy.gif

JAJ, nope my gal still have those teeth til now. PD says only those that r shaky have to be extracted. But they r yellowish though PD says stained by jaundice, I use baking soda to brush also no use.

queque, nvm lah, they will drop out when she reaches pri school coz now their teeth still not considered adult teeth, will change a new set.
happy.gif

sasayeo, think is normal. I have such pain too. maybe uterus is stretching (expanding). Not to worry if the pain is not long and no bleeding.

sasa, tink quite norm..
"As it grows you may feel some abdominal cramping and mild twinges. " from babycenter

JAJ, the breastfeeding guide u posted, can we buy if we are not with mt a?

JAJ, i think your boy is quite well-behaved =)
good job!

i really have seen some havoc ones whom their parents totally can't manage them.. and one of the boys i saw is around 3 years old oredi..

bloom, I think you can but not sure where you can get it from. I heard outside is selling but not sure where, don't know if popular has it.

kidomum, I think my boy is only after milk, not the nipple. hahaha, coz he has pacifier if he needs. After my ML and returned to work he drank ebm from bottle and I only latch him when I'm back home at night or fully on weekend. So maybe that make him okay to drink from bottle or latch.

Back