How did you decide your OBGYN?

OADE

Hi All,
First time mom here. Just found out I was pregnant but have decided to not let our family know until we get a scan with a Obgyn.
How do you chose and decide which doctor to go with?

1. No bad reputation.
2. Location and timings of antenatal sessions.
3. If you want to minimize the chance of a C-section, minimize episiotomy, etc., your gynae must also believe that.
4. If you want your husband to watch, take pictures/video, have water birth, etc., your gynae must believe in that.

a. ask from friends (who're mums) or relatives; from trusted referrals, basically
b. look at credentials of course, a bit of research won't take much effort
c. hospital affiliation, for me this is important if ever you'd need to be admitted to hospital
d. insurance coverage, it'd be great if the obgyn doctor accepts your current insurance plan
e. ask around for loose referrals, like here, and see the consensus or feedback, in general

that said, perhaps i can recommend Dr Chris Ng of GynaeMD Women's & Rejuvenation Clinic. his private practice is located in Orchard. i've had my 2 children delivered by him :)

adding on to everything above:
if u are high risk/baby may need nicu + u are not filthy rich >>> public hospital

many say that private provides better care for high risk patients, id say that is really poor advice because many private doctors will transfer u back to public hospital once complications arise.

i've had 2 babies in public hospitals and i'm really glad for the peace of mind that 1. they're the best equipped hospitals in all of sg; 2. the costs are well controlled and i'm not paying for unnecessary frills - babies are expensive enough.

Last edited:
Hi All,
First time mom here. Just found out I was pregnant but have decided to not let our family know until we get a scan with a Obgyn.
How do you chose and decide which doctor to go with?
I was a subsidy patient in KKH and decided to get Class A1 for my 1st labour & we were lucky to be attended by the Dr on duty who is now, my current obgyn for my 2nd pregnancy.

She was a steady Dr, kind, soft spoken & easy to talk to. I had a 21 hour labour due to it being induced and it was my 1st labour, cervix door kinda stubborn & i almost gave up. Hubby wanted me to get emergency c sec since its been over 20hrs. When my cervix is 10cm dilated, i got no energy to push much, but Dr was super steady during that period, she decide to proceed with forcep delivery and all is history! I feel safe with her now.. Im having bad hyperemesis (nausea & vomiting) and lost 6kg. Was given 1 month HL by her to rest. Currently 13 weeks 4 days pregnant now. Much better and will be seeing her in March 2024.

i wanted a doctor who is pro natural as i really want to try for a normal delivery ! i like a gynae who doesnt rush through consultations as im easily anxious ..

i delivered with dr ryan lee at thomson woodleigh at bidadari.. he.used to be at kkh ..hes really friendly nice and smiles alot..he even allow me to contact him if i got any questions, he will try his best to help me..will go back to him for my next pregnancy if i have another one

Back