(2012/06) Jun 2012

Nattan, how I wished I have popped alrdy...hahaha.
Ya hopefully I dun have to go thru induction...success rate seems to be 50/50. Well wat to do...she is happily swimming, dancing and kicking me days n nites...dunno wat to do with her. lol.

<font color="aa00aa">I haven't pop too. Had some brownish spotting since last night but no regular contractions. Spotting doesn't seem to increase either. Perhaps really got to wait till Thursday to insert tablet to ripen cervix first.

ssmilezz,
Jiayou!

Re: Tummy size &amp; position
I hate it when strangers comment on mine as mine is very low &amp; big. I wish at most, they just look &amp; remain quiet.</font>

Anna, mine is constantly jabbing me with his foot/feet below my right diaphragm.. Right now, my tummy is obviously lop-sided :p He seems to have shifted himself to my right! Owww...

Although we feel uncomfortable with all these movements, I think it's still a nice feeling to have our babies so close to us, don't you think?
happy.gif
I think I'll miss having him inside once he's out.. haha.. the dilemma...

Moi, I also get some kaypoh strangers asking me "issit a boy?" (cos my tummy looks "sharp"), "are you due soon?" and "is this your first?"... Some just stare and stare... like once when I boarded a bus and these 2 aunties just stared at me outright.. I just stare back at them lo :p

anna and moi, my girl is also not engaged yet. i'm only 0.5-1cm dilated so far. she's also active in me like urs. i had to push her back many times this week.

ahhhh.. me so envious!!! i also want to pop soon!!!

ssmilezz, why got midwife one? not just gynae? all the best!!! u seemed to be in good progress!!! 2 more hrs before the day ends.

<font color="aa00aa">nattan,
We had similar encounters with strangers haha! I enjoy baby's movement too, though they're really uncomfortable at times.

petrina
That's fast. It took me several years to plan for #2.</font>

Pet.. go for it!! 我们永远支持你!
biggrin.gif

Moi, I dunno how low the tummy should go. My boss said mine is not low enough to pop yet, but I cannot sit normally anymore.. I have to open my legs when I sit or else my thighs will be pressing against the tummy and it's very uncomfortable..

Anna: I was faced in the exact same situation as u last sat! Bb estimated 3.8 kg. Dr asked me to choose between c sec or induction at 39 weeks. I m tall at 1.7 m and I tot I can deliver the bb naturally. Was induced for 20 hrs. End up emergency c sec. Bb weigh 4.07 kg. I delivered my bb at glen e , one bedder. Bill came up 5 digit before deducting medisave. Omg!!!!But I comfort myself that at least I tried natural and that bb to be delivered safely and healthily is my main piority.
Ssmilezz: Jia you Jia you!!! Push push push!!!!!!

minnzo, when u go for emergency c sec, are you awake or on GA?

those mummies who havent popped, looks like only waiting time for us. by edd still no sign, looks like have to induce alraedy.

Petrina, you are so cute....lol. I'm sure your hub will love to have another one too.

Moi and Nattan, I faced the same situation from strangers staring at my huge tummy...with some even came up to me asking whether am I expecting a twin and quite a nos of them asking whether is it a boy cos my tummy is sharp pointed and very low. Likewise I have to open my legs wide open when I sit down and there was once my boss told me to close my leg as he can see my underwear when we were having discussion in his office. Omg...so embarrassing.

Minnzo, I have my concern and worries esp long and unsuccessful induction...and eventually gotta opt for emer c-sect thereafter too. However I really wanna try for natural birth since this is my first bb. Your hospital bill was really an astronomical figure but it's all worthwhile to have your bb safely delivered. Hopefully I won't have to go to emer c-sect and can deliver my princess smoothly.

Morning ladies!!
Sorry for not updating, been really busy with my newborn girl. Just completed bf so had the time to come online.

Can't believe I am officially a mummy. My lil girl graced us on Father's Day, a truly blessed gift for us.

In total it was a 14hr labor and tried to push but due to my pelvic bone being small, had to be assisted with forceps. Which is what I opt for instead of c-sect. Luckily she was able to come out at the first try of assisted delivery with forceps.
She came out in the afternoon and was crying loudly but easily pacified after. Could not take my eyes of her, such a joy to see our creation being born before our very eyes.

She started to latch after 24hrs and is getting used to it. Thankfully for the lactation nurse and ward nurses at GlenE, such tremendous help was given.

Will be feeding her again in the next 3hrs!! Am going to get somemore rest now before the next feed.

For all those mummies who have yet to deliver, have an awesome and smooth delivery experience. As a first time mum who has just experienced natural delivery, I would definately do it all over again.

Smillezz: Hope you and your lil girl are all well. I am checking out tomorrow, which room are you in?

Kadice: It will soon be your turn! Have a smooth delivery!

dear all, I have popped via c-sec on father's day. Best father's day gift for my hubby on sun. can really see his happiness when he ran around the nurse carrying our princess.
happy.gif
thankful for a smooth sailing process. Now managing Breastfeeding n recovery of wound.

Is really a joyous moment when I first heard my baby's cry. very hard to describe the feeling.

Birth Story

Was not able to pop by 18 Jun. :D. Long story - but am glad I did my best n both mother n baby are fine.

As u guys know, I tong thru the initial phase at home n went in only when I was 4-5cm. Decided to go with the epi cos the rectum pressure was draining my energy. I never expected contractions to feel like that lor.

Epi made me shiver like a druggie on and off. I drank sips of water to keep hydrated too. Dilation was smooth with the drug via IV. Hit 10cm before midnight. By 9cm, very intense pressure to push so was slowing pushing. Nurse said to control urge to push - that was freaking testing my limits.

Anyway, gyn said baby was facing upwards n despite my pushes (which was strong cos we turned the epi down), the forehead is stuck - cant get pass my pelvis. So despite baby heartbeat not in distress, she decided not to opt for forceps or vacuum n went for e c sec. Hopefully, my wound downthere will be just sore cos I really don't want to end up nursing two wounds.

Baby Amber is born at 12:48am 19 June. 3.7kg 52 cm.
happy.gif

Does coconut water help? Yes! She's really clean. She looked abt grouchy cos in labour n stuck too long. Ha ha

Does regular exercise help with labour? Yes to a certain extent. Helps you have enough cardio strength to push. Faster labour? Em I don't think so. At least for my case.

Thanks for the support ladies!!)

Congrats sunbelle!! It is a wonderful gift. hope you are recovering well.

Congrats Smilezz!! Rest up now and hope you are recovering well. I will be checking out later in the morning.

Kadice:I was awake during my emergency c sec. Mine was epidural to numb my lower body. I actually had 3 syringes of epidural given over the period of 21 hrs of labour! Haha... Ssmilez: congrats on the delivery of ur princess!!! Rest well!!! The nurses at glen e r very helpful! U r in good hands!!

Morning mummies...what good news to wake up to!
happy.gif

Congrats Adeline, Sunbelle and Ssmilezz on the arrival of your princesses! Enjoy your new mummy status and rest well.

Ssmilezz, just curious...did you know that your girl was in the posterior position before delivery?

anna, ur office thingy was so funny!!! lol!! it's like girls' secondary sch days where the male teachers get so embarrassed in classes or exams. hahaha.... if bill is not a problem, suggest you try natural first. no regrets later.

chris, why so early book c-sect?

adeline, that's what they say, preggy brain at work which was why mothers can go thru the whole process again. if it were left to the guys, i think the world would have ended with no active pro-creation. congrats again!!!

sunbelle, you popped!!!! so silent!!! congrats!!!

ssmilezz, congrats!!! as long as bb is safe, it doesn't really matter which way or when she was out. and amber's big at 3.7kg! well done mummy! ur druggie story is really funny. were u cold? i was feeling super chilly and shivering very bad when epi was removed.
happy.gif

anna, kadice, nattan, so exciting right? when is our turn?!

I'm just joking!! Lol... it took us 3yrs to plan for #2. Certainly close factory. No #3. Strike 4D also no...

Congrats to all mom's who popped... it's traumatic to have emergency csec for first kid. Perhaps tat was y my gynae choose not to burst waterbag w/o full dilation...
So my hb managed to c baby's birth n cut cord.

Minnzo, how come ur bill high than mine? My so complicated total bill is 10k after Medisave.

Since #2 is last product, I decided to go all out..

Congrats to all who had popped! I love the moment that the babies are born. Its the time where I am amazed by the miracle of life. How can such a tiny beany becomes a bb.

ssmilezz: My Bb was also facing upwards and my gynae decided to use vaccum immediately. So within 10 mins the bb was out. Did not need to go for C Sect. However my bb was smaller, only 2.9Kg.

I also shivered due to Epi. Its one of the side effects of Epi but it depends on individual. Previously the dosage was so high that I shivered till they could not take my blood pressure. This time I told them about the problem I faced and they reduced the amount but I still don't feel any urge to push at all during the labour process.

Petrina, You are really brave. Hahah after everything I dared not think of another. I am already counting down to the last 2 weeks of confinement! I feel confinement is worst then the labour process! I wonder anyone feels the same.

Re 3rd child

People around me had been pyschoing me to have a 3rd child even though we had decided on 2 since long go.

They kept saying I have 2 boys, should try for a girl. My husband is getting older, and while we are comfortable financially now, having a 3rd one would mean some sacrifices.

But to tell the truth, I am slightly swayed!

shivering during epi

I shivered so much, my teeth were chattering non stop, and they turned off the aircon for a while. Brrrr.

Glass, I love kids. But we r too comfy with finances now to consider a 3rd. My hb say even if his pay increase double also no #3. At most I be sahm. Cause kids Drive us crazy.. Lol..
our 4yo is at the semi self auto mode where he takes instruconly those he like. Those instructions he dun like he can't hear. On the other hand I gotta admit that this is a good age gap since he's very helpful when I desperately needs help.
But... seriously over zealous! So it gets on our nerves literally tearing me apart.

Petrina, mine was 11 k plus before deducting medisave. My cash is about 7 k plus. Urs is 10 k cash after deducting medisave right?

Tlisa
I am with you on that. Confinement is worse than the actual labour to me too!! Weather being so hot is no help. So many restrictions somemore.. I also can't wait for it to end!!

Btw did the nipple shield help? Btw it is meant for temporary use only yah. Once nipple is healed you should latch direct. You don't want baby to get used to the shield and reject your nipple.

Wah, such a huge difference in the bill. My bill was 1.4k after medisave.

Me natural, 11 hours of baby monitoring, epidural, oxygen etc plus 4 bedder. Actually very quiet coz 2 patients left in the morning,I was alone most of the time until one family that came in late at the last night and stayed until 10 plus with more than 15 people.

Ktmum &amp; tlisa:

I agree too that Confinement is worse then actual labour.
Maybe i delivered within 4.5 hours upon reaching the hospital which is why i feel that confinement of 1 month in such hot humid weather ... drinking &amp; eating hot stuff ... perspiring like a pig several times a day and can only shower once is torturing.
Worse still ... i had to wear the massage bind for 7 days!

I have another 16 days more before it ends!

Shivering During Epi

I think it got worse in the operating theatre during c sec! I was supposed to breathe some gas and I knocked out totally. 2-3 mins later, I heard ppl shaking me - mummy mummy wake up your girl is here. Oh she must be so tired cos previous nights didn't sleep due to contractions. Then I had to force my eyes open and baby was on me Liao. So surreal. Lol.

Tilsa

But for my case they could see the forehead stuck and there's
No way we can use intervention. So no choice.

Liligal

No leh I was not cold. Had a low grade fever around 38+ degrees due to the long labour and epi.

lili gal , csec has to bk early, rt? Else no OT leh. Anyway, i m suppose to csec last fri, bt cos last thu aftr ctg, gynae sy cn wait for awhile if i wan2, so i decid to choose tis fri. Bb wil b able to hv the same zodiac as hubby.
happy.gif
bt gynae worry its too long a wait, sy mus rush to hosp at the 1st sign of labor.

Hi all, i went for CTG again today to get a better reading and fortunately baby was cooperative. But the not so good news is that I may not be ableto go for natural delivery as his weight has gone up to almost 4kg in a short span of time. Furthermore, although he is engaged, I've not dilated and my gynae feels that, given the risks involved, the odds are against me having natural delivery so he recommends c-sec. I guess now I've to come to terms with that option. Gynae said he'll see me again on Fri to discuss further, but I think I'll probably decide before that. Right now just praying for some divine wisdom to guide me....

chris, huh? wat u meant by c-sect has to be bk early? u talking abt hospital stay or wat? but of cos the op itself is faster than the entire labor ordeal for normal birth.

nattan, c-sect is not so bad but if it's first time of cos everyone hope to try the natural way first. discuss the option w ur gynae. my fren gave birth naturally to a 4kg baby who was earlier breech but they somehow massage her tummy and it was ok.

Liligal, I thought that I could try for natural, but that means a risk of emergency c-sec, of which I can't stomach the trauma and cost. I'd rather decide on elective if the end result is the same, given the risks. My gynae said there's no exact science to it, it's a judgement call and based on his experience, he recommends elective c-sec.

Smile, my bb also stuck.. halfway in birth canal..
Shivering
Agree tat it is epi side effect. ESP during csec epi.

Liligal, Maybe Chris gynae scared can't book ot. Not glen hosp Maybe not many ot rooms

nattan, yah... very very expensive trial also. go for it! all the best!!! at least ur date is fixed. i'm still waiting!!
sad.gif

petrina &amp; chris, oooohhh.. OT = operating theater. hahahah.. sorry i thot why stay in hospital overtime!!! preggy brain at work!!! paiseh.

Ktmum: nope I did not get the right size. In the end I pump that night and a few times in the day. Evening I tried latching aging and it was ok. Not painful. Can see that the crack part is healig already. Then I try to air my nipple as much as I can. Did not wear bra but stick the pad to the shirt. Hahahaha

Actually I had called up MT A Parentcraft, but only have slot in Thursday. So thinking shld cancel it since its ok now.....

Fleurfleur:
Yes! So hot after eating our meals. Bath already still equally hot. You can wipe down with the medical herbs. As the Aunty to give you a small basis and you use a small towel to clean up after dinner Loh. That really makes me feel better. As for the binding of the tummy. I did not do it. Hahaha maybe cos I am short, the binding makes me so uncomfortable that I cannot breast feed so I did not bind 6 hours. Max I went for 3 hours. Cannot tahan

<font color="aa00aa">nattan,
Don't give up hope of having natural birth &amp; keep the faith that u can do it. The weight is only an estimate. My colleague who's around your size, gave birth to 2 kids naturally, both > 4kg. Do discuss with your hubby or even experienced parents such as your pastor &amp; his wife for their opinions. Then decide before Friday.

I'm petite but my gynae didn't suggest C-sec for me though baby's estimated weight is about 3.7kg &amp; expect to increase more. I'll try for natural delivery too &amp; hope we can do it.

Good luck!</font>

Kadice
My Edd is on 25 June &amp; I'm still waiting too at 39 weeks. My first child was overdue by 4 days so this one may be the same too. It's not true that overdue = induction. Guess depends on size of Bb, gynae's assessment of water level in ur uterus etc. My TMC Gynae then did not feel the need to induce though I was past my EDD. My #1 was born at 3.14 kg.

Hi ladies

I'm a silent reader. My baby #3 will be due somewhere Betwn 30jun to 6jul (supposed edd is 14jul) but scheduled csec date is 6jul so hopefully bb can wait till then.

Ssmilezz - reading ur journey to birth delivery sound so exciting in this thread making everyone so kan cheong for u! ;)
But urs is somewhat similar to my #1. Same case op position bb. During that time I had painful contractions since Monday nite 7Pm then by tue morning, I got admitted, doc induced with tablet, drip n injection but dilation was superlong, then doc burst waterbag n we waited n waited till finish up 5tubes of epi by the time I'm fully dilated, then tried to push on Wedn morning, after several attempts, doc even cut below n vacuum, nothing work, bb understress so doc said emergency csec. So finally bb out at 9am by ga csec. Total of 38hrs labour, going thru natural n csec so I had 2 wound n also bill came up to b 5 figures! My bb was big also at 3.5kg 52cm, too big for me. Doc said some ppl actually still can deliver such op position bb naturally n sometimes a last min bb will turn to correct position so it really depend on individual lor but it is expected that such bb will ve a long labour bvos the head is harder to come out unless bb is really small. My doc told me if she didnt induce me, my labour pain could go on for another few days but at least urs ve "show" n did dilate. Mine only contraction pains no dilation until doc induce n induce. Oh btw, u can still natural for ur next bb if no other issues, but I was told u won't b able to use epi for ur next time.

Breastfeeding:
In order to ve successful breastfeeding, I was told by the nurses at prenatal class that u need to b "happy", when u r unhappy the production will b affected. Don't stress or ur bb will also find it hard to bf. keep trying to latch ur bb in the most comfortable position u like, with frequent latching, the production will kick in. Supply equal demand. What I like most abt bf is the bonding n also bb last prone to b colicky. I bf my #1 for 28mths, #2 for abt 14mths. Love bf never regret. Don't worry too much of what others say, it's ur bb, it's ur choice! Even if confinement Aunty discourage (most likely is bcos they r lazy), tell them u want to bf ur bb n they need to follow since u paid them for their service to follow ur instructions.

Hiccups :
Bb hiccups r v common Le. Nothing to b alarmed. Every normal human will ve it Le. I dunno will this method work for bb but u can try, when bb hiccup, use ur fingers to lightly hold down ur Bb wrist (either one of his/her hand) where his/her pulse can b felt, n count calmly n slowly to 5. For normal kids or adults, this will work if the person breathe in n out deeply n slowly 3x at the count to 5. But bb can't take in deep breath as instructed but u can try.

Hope the above helps
happy.gif

Moi, much as I like to try natural, my gynae has warned me on the risks which are quite serious. My baby's head circumference is already 10cm and his shoulders would be wider. I risk a bad tear even if episiotomy is performed on me. Furthermore, besides weight, the build of the baby is taken into consideration. He's tall and big, thanks to my family's genes.. the gynae is concerned that even if baby's head can come out, he may suffer shoulder dislocation and even nerve damage, in worst case scenario paralysis of one side of his body. These are risks I cannot ignore. I rather go for elective c-sec to avoid these risks than try and attempt a natural delivery which may put both myself and the baby at risk of exhaustion and distress, ending in an emergency c-sec. It's not really my preferred choice, but it's the only one I have at the moment.

Nattan, I totally agree with what Moi has said. Dun give up hope to go for natural birth...that's the reason why I opt for induction instead of c-sect. Both of us have a huge bb and moreover I'm of smaller build than you. I will do my best this sat....hopefully everything will go smoothly. Likewise I believe you will be able to make it too. Whatever decision u make eventually, most importantly is to deliver your bb safely.

nattan, u mus b in dilemma nw. Same as whn i was uncertain abt natural or csec. Nobody cn decide for ur bb, except ur hubby n urself. As much as i support natural, i cant hlp bt to share the birth story of my fren bb w u. She was advice to csec cos bb too big too. Bt she insist on natural as it was her 1st. Bb came out w collar bone dislocation, turned purple. Was in a panic stage to save bb. Its really ur call nw. Jiayou!

Thanks all for your words of advice and encouragement, both for and against c-sec. I am still praying about it. Was initially very disappointed that I may have to go for c-sec and cried in the ctg room. But hubby said all that matters is that baby and I are safe and not have to go through trauma or under unnecessary risks. I've to come to terms with this decision given the risks involved and also family history on my part.

I was a c-sec baby, slightly overdued and 3+kg at birth. My mum was in labour from morning till night and was unable to push me out, so in the end had emergency c-sec, with my mum suffering severe blood loss and needing blood transfusion from 2 of her brothers. This traumatic birth was the reason why my dad didn't want any more kids after that. I certainly don't want to go through that (not that it will necessarily happen to me) and traumatise myself, the baby and my hubby :p

I think it's most mummies' dream to have a natural birth, drug-free if possible, and experience the full spectrum of motherhood. However, reality is not aways so simple as I now know as the risk factors differ from person to person. As I mentioned earlier, my gynae listed out the factors to consider for natural delivery: baby's size, position, placenta position, uterine contraction, mum's stamina, etc.. it's a lot of things to consider. C-sec also has it's set of risk factors and can be particularly risky for people with anaemia (too much blood loss). So, it's not as simple as "giving it a try". Maybe I will try VBAC next time if the baby is smaller and I really control my diet to make sure baby doesn't exceed a certain weight, but again there's no guarantee a natural delivery can happen despite all my best intentions..

Chris, I'm also thinking about Fri now.. heh.. so maybe share same birthday as your bb ;)

At least if go elective c-sec, my hubby can be there with me as it will be a spinal tap so I'll be conscious. If I end up with emergency c-sec, my hubby cannot be there in the OT and then I will be doubly sad and disappointed.

Back