(2012/06) Jun 2012

Regarding OSCAR test or any other test, last time my gynea will check first if needed or not, and usually if you're young it's a very low risk.

I personally won't take because anyway if my baby has down syndrome, I'll still keep her.

I really think the test is to give parents options for abortion if they didn't pass the test.. But I'm not sure though..

Hi everyone,

I am new here..
Coming to 10weeks now , EDD 11 June 2012

Been silently reading..
I am not planning to go for Oscar test. I am with Groovy2009. No matter what, will still keep my baby.. Is god's gift.. So I leave it to god to decide..

my next appt is dec 3rd.. super long time... i'll call regarding the test. i think previous preg i took the NT test. not the whole OSCAR test.

i realised that my MS is always around when I am at home. during the weekends i vomited so badly yet at office i feel much better. not sure if it's because i sat down after meals in the office compared to walking alot after meals in the weekends...

Groovy: it's scary to handle DS children. though my religion does not allow abortions, i think i will consider very carefully if we will keep her if such things occur.

Nattan & Priscilla, Congrats & welcome
happy.gif

Groovy, thanks for sharing ur experience regarding the milk pumps. Always thought that medela's the best.

It's not easy to take care of children with special needs. I respect parents with children with special needs.

Hi,

Have a good CL to recommend. Have already recommended her to 4 mummies in SMH. SHe is booked till next yr Aprl currently.

SHe was my CL for my twins in this Jan, taking care of them herself even during night time :)

SHe cooks nice confinement food ( for yourself and family ), and does baby laundry :)

can email me for more details

[email protected]

Pris> I don't want to go for OSCAR test as well but my hubby this its better that we go for it so that we can get ourselves mentally prepared shld the test be postive.

We agree that we won't terminate the pregnancy and we'll just have to make arrangements on how to best take care of him/her.

loshita: I felt very hot for my 1st pregnancy but this time, i feel very cold esp in air con place. I've read that some mothers will experience cold and chills during 1st trimester so I'm just wearing lots of clothes in the office now and tolerating. I think i prefer feeling hot than cold, so unbearable.

Petrina: Do we all crave for chinese food cos we have a dragon baby? This is very interesting. Europeans also believe in dragons so i guess i don't really crave for chinese food all the time, sometimes i crave for Mos burgers, haha!

Going into 9 weeks and my nausea still as bad. I need a CL this time cos my mom is getting older, plus my toddler around, i don't think i have the energy to take care of another baby during confinement. Now i very kan jiong, i stay in Tampines, any good CL to recommend me? Thanks!

joycie: haha.. i dunno abt the chinese dragon part but seems lotsa mummies here crave chinese foods.
for me: only chinese foods are experimental. western food is a complete No-No.. sometimes i act smart, think by eating chicken wings is chinese food - but also out.. so now fastfood joints n my fav swensens r out.

btr faster find CL. next yr very hot year.

Dear all mommies, first time here. Going to be first time mommy too. EDD is 4 June 2012. Though already going to be end of 1st trim but still feel incredibly unbelievable that I'm pregnant. It's like entering into a whole new world?!

Hi,

I have following items for sale:

1. Baby Plus: $160
Preloved. Condition 8.5/10 with Box, instruction manual and pouch. Full set.

2. Pigeon wipes with casing (Brand NEW): $4.90
Usual: $7.90

3. Similac Mom (Brand NEW): $15
Expiry Date: 29th Jan 2014

Collection at Sengkang MRT.
Pls email me at [email protected] for photos.

Hi Sunniegal, thanks for your welcome
happy.gif
May I know if this OSCAR scan is similar to the nuchal fold test? I've not heard of it before and my gynae has not mentioned it yet..

Hi Fastlee.. congrats on being a mummy soon.. does your tummy show or is it still quite small? I also cannot believe I'm going to have a baby... strange feeling eh?

y do the milk flow into tube for medela? i used PISA.. dun have such problem..
the tube is for air suction only leh.

oh ya. i've tried medela mini electric - not enough power to induce a letdown for me. also it sounds like a lawnmower.. hehe
tried pigeon manual.. totally no feeling. comparing to that, i'll rather use hands to squeeze boobs. can get more milk.

haven't tried avent. but for me i require high suction power so i think i will need adaptor type instead of battery type.

HI all .... I am beri excited to be a MTB again.
Just went for a scan yesterday and we finally sees bb's heartbeat. Now I am in my 8th week of gestation and EDD will be ard 28th June. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have just delivered my bb girl in Jan this year ;)

My friend is using PISA, and she said her tube grow fungus leh..
Dunno how she use it. She said milk goes into the tube and later grow fungus..

I think lots of other people mentioning they don't have problem with their PISA too.. But for me after hearing that, I'll try to avoid.

You can google medela tube grow fungus and can find lots of article..

Other people said maybe my friend didn't properly wipe the pump before using. But who knows..

I also can't use Avent manual pump! Feels like no suction at all. Huehehehe.. That time I jialat when my Avent pump spoiled and I left my Ameda pump in office. In the end need to go office bring the Ameda pump home..

The problem with Avent pump also it will keep knocking the side of the pump, sooner or later the suction won't be as strong as before. And it's totally very noisy.

Ameda pump is not very noisy, I last time when my office got no lactation room always pump in my cubicle and no one really notice. They thought it's printer's sound

Sometimes the milk yield for Avent pump is more than Ameda though, because using Ameda pump we can't really see whether milk still comes out, but using Avent we can see the milk still comes out or not and decides to pump longer until finish. hehe..

Hi nattan, stomach still quite small, so till now still no one give up seat for me in the MRT train..my friend said I look more fat than pregnant so no choice got to stand! Is this going to be the 1st baby for you?

It's so surreal for me coz I'm the sure won't want to get pregnant type coz I love traveling and totally can't stand crying babies. So my friends are all shocked and some even cried when I told them the news!! They said they can't believe people like me actually going to be a mummy soon!! But it's tears of joys!

Fastlee, yeah.. it's my first baby
happy.gif
Nobody gives up their seat for me too.. haha.. I think not so obvious yet that's why. Next time when it's bigger, we can stand closer to those reserved seats.. hehe. I understand how you feel cos I also didn't like kids and love to travel too. I still hope to travel at least once before my 3rd trimester, hopefully sometime in Jan/Feb next yr, and maybe even during the maternity leave! One of my colleagues went to HKG with her 3mth-old baby, so I think should be ok...

I haven't told anyone yet cos I'm only in my 8th week... hopefully my friends will also be excited. I'm the first among my close friends to get married, and now have a baby
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
Finally saw my bb's heartbeat, so happy.
happy.gif
According to the scan, I'm 7weeks 3days. EDD is 30 June..hee last day of the month. Anyone with the same EDD?

hi mummies,

I am letting go (becoz not using this brand) the pigeon newborn starter set with 2 pacifier at $40.

The set is selling $46.90 at kiddy palace and the pacifier is $4.90 each at kiddy palace.

So basically you will save $16.70.

I can meet at bugis mrt, buangkok mrt or seng kang mrt for self collection. Do pm me if you are interested.

6304122.jpg

Dear mummies,

I felt "chuan" at times, and now 8 weeks plus, last visit to gynae is 5 weeks. I feel uneasy and thought of going to visit my gynae earlier. my next appointment is next tues but am i too paranoid to go earlier?

Thanks

Hi sunnie_gal, thks for the welcome! 

Hi nattan, ive totally no mood in travelling now coz of the constant giddiness and nausea. The thought and smell of food really make me sick but surprisingly i can still
eat and eat and eat..especially craving for fast-food and sweet stuff like cakes and ice-cream. Still remember last year this time I was traveling almost every week but now totally dun feel like travelling.

Hi Joanne, if you feel uneasy you should just go to see your Gynae. I actually hv same thought as you that time but then I just went whenever I feel uneasy just to get a peace of mind. I actually saw my Gynae 3 times less than a month already. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Joanne, I think feeling "chuan" or breathless is normal if you have not been keeping fit pre-pregnancy. You should visit the gynae just to get a peace of mind like Fastlee says. Also try to rest more and don't stress out
happy.gif

Hi Fastlee, I am blessed that my nausea is not so bad that I can't travel. I only have nausea if I get too hungry, so I need to eat every few hrs. I don't have particular cravings, but I prefer savory foods to sweet. I like fruit and veges as much as meat and rice/bread...everything also like...So greedy :p

Hi Joanne, I have the same problem recently too. I think it's because I'm terribly unfit now as I have stopped exercising since September. Get that ESP after climbing staircase in my fitflops. Unless it's so bad you can't breathe or you didn't even walk much or did anything strenuous, I don't think it's an urgent problem. Perhaps normal gp will do.

Petrina or someone else (sorry my phone is too small for me to scroll up and check the names)
I have the same problem with you. I get nausea when I'm at home as there isn't enough food to eat. I can buy food more easily when I'm at work.

Hi Joanne, I asked my gynae b4. Feeling "chuan" or having heartburn is quite common for preg ladies. No worried unless u get too breathless. Walk slowly lor.

Finally passed my 1st tri!!! Saw baby moving ard in tummy yesterday. Find it so incredible! Best of all, my MS disappeared a few days ago & i'm constantly hungry now!

Doing my oscar test on thurs. =)

Good morning mummies

Hi Joanne, I also feel breathless at most time, a normal 15 mins walk seems like I ve completed 10 km run. Plus feeling nausea, really no mood to do anything.
Breathlessness is one of the symptoms as our body are working harder to produce more oxy for us n baby, but if having severe breathlessness, better see the gyn.

Thxs Sunnie Gal ....

Joanne I also do feel the chuan feeling and sometimes giddy but I have no MS or craving. I guess is my size bah hahah I am a bit on the big side though .....

Glass: hehe it's me.. i think so. maybe it's not enuff variety food at home vs anything is avail in ofc place.

sometimes i can't burp after meals.. then when i try to burp, the meal will come up and there goes my meal down the toilet...
sad.gif

Hi to all mother to be, I hope u can take 1 min to help to vote for my lil boy in a Facebook contest. Pls kindly help to vote for my LIL MONSTER~
This contest will end at 5pm today so really really appreciate if you can take a min off ur busy schedule to help and vote for my lil darling. Thanks a lot for the kind help~ :D

He will be extra merry happy for Xmas if he can get the vouchers for more more toys!

Pls kindly follow these 2 steps:

1ST STEP: PLS LIKE THE BELOW LINK
http://www.facebook.com/DinosaursLiveExhibition

2ND STEP: CLICK ON THE BELOW LINK TO LIKE THE PHOTO
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=236574269735610&set=a.235650929827944.58525.201414056584965&type=3&theater

Hi Ladies, can share ur experiences & child-care arrangements being a SAHM or FTWM. Cos now expecting 1st child, wondering what kind of arrangement to make in future. Currently, have no interest of getting a maid. Never had a maid in family before and heard so many horror stories, so not considering having maid as a child-care arrangement.

At first I plan to put my baby inside infant care as arrangement. But in the end decided to get a maid instead.

We feel it's safer, healthier, and cleaner for a newborn baby to stay at home.
But of course you need to install CCTV camera to monitor and record. If you find something wrong with maid/ baby then just call home and tell..

Infant care is good but we're just afraid if baby will get sick often as baby stays outside home most of the time and has more babies there.

Nanny is I think way scarier than maid, unless if it's really nanny that you know and recommended by friend. We can't monitor nanny through CCTV camera, and don't know what they do at home, whether they just leave baby unattended or not.

for maid it's just you need to do unexpected house inspection for some times and call home occasionally.

I think if nanny it will be more difficult if we don't trust them and always call them. but for maid they will be ok.

I think for maid, it is better to have someone at home to watch over them. Don't feel safe to leave the bb with the maid alone at home.

Hi Sunnie Gal, I'm a FTWM. For my case, my girl was initially taken care of by my mil, but when my girl was about 6 mths old, my mil's leg started to give her problems, so in the end we sent my girl to infant care, as we really didn't like the idea of having a stranger in the house.

We did worry about her getting sick often, and yes, she did catch a couple of colds once in a while, but we were thinking, she'll be going to child-care later on anyway, so might as well let her catch cold now and build up her body immunity. And by letting her play with other babies, she can socialize and also learn things from other kids, like when she sees them crawl and walk, she'll want to learn to do that too. And there is probably less separation anxiety from mummy and daddy when she goes to child care in future, cuz she'll be already accustomed to the infant care system.

But having said that, if you really are lucky and do get a good maid, it's really much more cost-effective than putting your bb in infant care, and there is also an extra pair of hands at home to help with household chores. Plus, if bb gets sick, either you or hb will have to take leave to stay home to look after bb, and the infant care centres also have 6 designated holidays (excluding public holidays) for staff training and cleaning of the centre etc, so you will have also take leave then.

But I do agree with fuyutsuki that it would be better if there's someone at home to watch over the maid. We would have done so to get my mil to watch over the maid, but given my mil's personality, we were worried that conflicts can happen very often between her and the maid.

Yotsuba: I'm in situation that I will need to send my baby to infant care when baby is 2 months old. So I'm looking for info on infant care, how much does it cost and which school do you think better? I live in Choa Chu Kang area (Teck Whye).

<font color="aa00aa">May Lim (reef1976) Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 1:57 pm:
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Moi, where can we "怀孕前后吃什么". book? it is in chinese?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I borrowed the Chinese book from the public library.

------------

I've left out hawthorn (山楂) previously. So, below is the full list for the first 3 months (according to Chinese calculation of 10 months' pregnancy)

<u>Food to avoid</u>

Extracted from "怀孕前后吃什么", a book borrowed from NLB:

1st month
* Caffeine
* Spicy food (辛辣食物) such as chilli, pepper, 花椒 (Sichuan pepper) - excess causes constipation, affects digestion
* Sugar - excess depletes Calcium
* Low-fat milk
* Canned food - preservative
* Medicine w/o prescription
* 酸性食物 - may cause abnormalities
* Fried bread stick (油条) - contains ingredients that are not good for brain
* Tea - tea leaves contain caffeine &amp; a component which combine with iron that can't be absorbed by body

2nd month
* 甲鱼 (Soft-shelled turtle) &amp; crab - cooling, can cause abortion
* Aloe vera - can cause bleeding, even miscarriage
* Raw fish &amp; seafood - contains bacteria
* Shark, 旗鱼 (Sailfish), 青花鱼 (Mackerel), 马头鱼 - contains organic 氯农药 (pesticides) and 汞残留物 (mercury residues) that can harm foetus' nervous system

3rd month
* Steamboat - meat contains bacteria that are naked to human eyes which are usually not destroyed as people usually just dipped the meat into the hot pot w/o thoroughly cooking it - serious consequences include miscarriage, foetus' death or affect foetus' brain development
* 桂圆 (dried longan) - can cause dry stools, dry mouth &amp; baby heatiness; may cause spotting, tummyache &amp; other pre-miscarriage symptoms
<font color="0000ff">* Hawthorn (山楂) - extensive use will stimulate uterine contractions, and even lead to miscarriage</font>
* Canned food - preservative
* Potatoes that have sprouted - poisonous, may cause abnormalities</font>

Sunnie_Gal: Will your mom or MIL be able to help you out when you're away at work? Because I'll be getting my mum to babysit for me once my maternity leave is over.

Like you I don't feel comfortable having a helper at my place alone with my kid. Should my mum not be able to cope with the housework and taking care of my baby I'll engage a part-time helper to come in and help her with the housework.

<font color="aa00aa">Re: Breastfeeding during pregnancy
It's painful when my boy latches on now. He's no intention of being weaned though he's already 5+ yo.

Re: Breastfeeding our newborn
Actually, I've already forgotten what happened so many years ago but I remembered "forcefully" latching my son when he refused to breastfeed at some point of times. A good source of info is available from Dr Jack Newman. Google for articles and videos.

Re: Breastpump
I own an Avent ISIS Manual Pump and an Ameda Lactaline Dual Electric Pump. I feel that the Avent is more "powerful" but very tiring as it's manual.

If you want to try out the various pumps, you may approach BMSG to try out the suctions:
http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/demo-pumps.html

Re: Confinement Recipes
http://chineseconfinementfood.blogspot.com/
http://www.todaysmotherhood.com/parenting-resources/confinement/confinement-recipes/
http://www.thechinesesouplady.com/confinement-soups/
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f39/confinement-recipes-1924/</font>

I think it's good to have 2 types of breastpump if u really exclusive pumping. I found sometimes if 1 breastpump can't pump well, it will be pumped out in the next session using another breastpump. hehehe..

Groovy: expensive siah! lol but if i have $, i will also have 2 pumps. 1 leave in ofc, 1 leave at home. hehe

Regarding Maid - 1 of the reason y maids r scary is cause they have a lot of stories before coming SIN. they learn to do funny things to employers' food n drinks as some believe in Bomoh. besides that, many maids r so young. just imagine, how do u entrust a teenager with a crying NB 24hrs a day?
Even for moms *first timers or not*, we get frustrated with over crying n whining.

i read too many articles on how maids treat the babies n toddlers w/o supervision. So I really can't bring myself to hire a maid for my baby.

poor singaporeans... gone r the days where the moms stay at home to nurture the kids and husbands go out to work.

Thanks for sharing abt your experiences.

I'm considering whether to be a SAHM for the first couple of years. But still undecided. Any SAHMs here?

Hi Sunnie: i was SAHM for first 2yrs of my #1 birth. After that my MIL resigned to take over while i gradually released the care to her in 6mths and got a full time job just after my #1 turned 3yo.
pre-preg till my #1 turned 3, I was self employed. income gradually stopped after 1yr of birth since I didn't work and was living on residual income.
To me, toughest part of being a SAHM is not having income and spending power. Having to rely on your hb for all expenses, it seems to lower my pride n ego. hehe

But seeing your baby's every change is so fascinating that however much $ you earn is non-comparable. So it's up to you.
happy.gif

Hi all, I just went for my first gynae visit today and my EDD is 27 June 2012. This is my first pregnancy. I still cannot believe I am pregnant. Anyway, congrats to all mummies
happy.gif
I can learn alot of things from all mummies here. And we shall organize an outing soon (If possible).

Congrats to u Jen Tang! You must be feeling excited right? My due date is 22 june 2012, pretty near to yours...

Take good care, now should be around 8 weeks?

Back