(2012/05) May 2012

Hi all,

Am now hanging ard waiting to deliver.

mermaider:
They will arrange pre-admissions anytime before delivery. Its to explain the charges and take the deposit. If you haven done it at delivery, they will do it at the delivery suite.

Michi:
Before you go to work, prepare the feeds in the fridge (thawed). If your baby feeds at regular time, very easy to warm up beforehand. If not, BM warms up very fast from thawed in fridge stage coz only need to warm to room temperature (dun warm any hotter than that as it kills the nutrients). Good to let baby wait too. Learn to be patient.

I disagree with moments (sorry moments). Do not mix FM with BM. FM needs to be hotter when made. This kills all the nutrients in BM. Its a big waste.

Basically, I think your MIL is against BF. So she is gonna come up with many things to discourage you, like not enuff milk, etc. You have to stay strong and not get affected. Babies are born with reserves. So in the first few days, whatever colostrum you have is enough. There is no need to supplement even if you think you have no milk. Just latch on and let baby stimulate the supply. If you supplement, the body is gonna think you do not need the milk. In the first few months, its very important to latch/pump very regularly (2-3 hours). Do not drop night pumps/feeds as that causes a drastic drop in supply. Some people will say if you do not get enough sleep, your supply will drop. The truth is, if you drop the pumps, your supply will drop way more drastically. In fact, it can cause your supply to dry up. Then babies do cry for comfort. They are out of the tummy where they are so used to being so snug and comfy. Its not insufficient milk like what MILs will say. Then when they say baby sleep longer with FM - this is coz it takes so long to digest (& much of it wont even get digested, unlike BM which is almost completedly digested and absorbed). Hope all these gets you prepared.

sardonyx:
I am using Nepia diapers. Of coz will use the pack of whatever that hospital provides first. :p

Hey mummies,

anyone can advise on BM leaking when BFing? Will the leaking be so bad that we need to use breastpads 24 hours? I've always been someone who can't sleep at night unless I'm braless, so am worried about how it will work out for me ...

Hi Keiko Woo

Ya I also taken antibiotic for 7 days when I first found out that I got GBS.. Is this your first baby?

I am worry now is cos of my 3rd baby and I afraid that if I got the induce jab first then on antibiotic drip, the antibiotic will not stay in my boby for at least 4hrs..

Haiz.. so many things I am worry about now.. the most I worry is bb can be able to discharge with me anot or she needs to stay in hospital to monitor and wait for report.. cos I read up it says 2 days for report to be out..

Hi Fifi

I meant I give BM then give FM if not enough.. U meant we can't feed this way ah... maybe you can explain more to me as previously what I did was, either I give FM in each feed mostly during the night..

If not day time I will give breast milk if not enough then I will give formula milk if bb can't wait.

Hi Dolly

Nope, my hubby wont be company me during the night cos I still got my 2 boys at home.. so he will be going home.

The charges are v ex, so not intending to pay extra for that.. Think save more since I wan to get myself a LV bag wahahhaah.. I have been thinking for a v long time and my hubby promise to buy for me but till now also not yet.. think I might as well to save the money to buy myself..

Thanks fifi! My MIL really against BF lor. Like wat u say, she told mi bb nt enuff milk, everytime cry etc etc. Worst still, she wanna feed bb water when i intend to let bb TBF. Explain to her BM already contain alot of water, she dun believe... say wat if bb next time dun like to drink water if i dun give water.

Haiz~ scare tat she like tat stress me, my supply will drop even further.

Moment

I THINK Fifi means shd not mix the BM & FM in the same bottle then feed baby.

Michi

I agree with Fifi. Basically your MIL is against BM & she's using any reason / excuse to throw spanner in the works. If baby cries, must be hungry coz u dun have enough milk. If baby doesn't sleep thru the night, must be becoz BM not filling. If baby has reflux, must be you ate something & ur BM is not gd. Sigh..

Even my MIl who was kinda ok with BF - coz SIL also BF her babies, & when I gave birth that time, China was having the FM melanine scare - also sometimes said that FM is more filling etc etc. Hard to make them undertand that it is 'filling' coz they are having indigestion.

Guess what u can do is to let your Hubs know your determination to BF, get his support ( coz if ur Hubs doesn't support, also no use, u'll be fighting the battle alone). Sometimes MIL ah.. their son say something, they will just listen. DIl say.. er.. must be wrong! haha

Oh.. I din mix BM & FM in the same bottle.. is in a separate bottle
happy.gif

Wa Michi, your mil hor, mabbe u should ask this question to the PD or gynae/nurse in front of her at the hospital then let 3rd party professional say that dun need water then she will believe. =)

Ayana

No she won't! My PD, SIL's PD, the polyclinic doctor for SIL's 2nd kid all said no water but MIl still says must drink water.

Can say "siao, where got baby dun drink water one?"

Hi Jul

I got give my bb water.. can't drink water?
even I give BF I also got give water.. but i heard that water is not neccessary if give BF.. but i got give...

jul, kua kua... really ahh... This mil sure is stubborn. Must be those kind who will do it her way when u are not looking and not around loh!

little bit of water wouldn't harm bb la, but too much can be harmful according to the antenatal class - water intoxication.

To me i think I rather bb drink something more nutrituous than just plain water ma.

michi,
You need to get the baby to drink on schedule - roughly 2-3 hourly so that you can prep the milk. Sometimes don't need to wait till baby cries to give milk. This way your MIL won't be too stress. Heating milk won't take 10 min, if you have thawed the milk and put it in bottle in fridge. All you need to do is take out from fridge and put in the heater or sometimes people use hot water in a cup.

Btw - I don't quite agree in saying that when you go back to work your BM will not be enough (sorry moments). I think this one will be depending on individuals but from the beginning if you feel that you don't have enough milk, you can prob try to pump after every feed to empty your breast so your body will produce more milk.

If you intend to freeze your milk, please let baby try frozen milk early and feed at least 1 frozen milk feed since 2/3 mths old. For my #1, I tried the frozen milk too late at about 4.5 months and turns out he doesn't like the taste of frozen milk. He would only take milk from refrigerator so that means I can't stock up once I'm back at work. Luckily my milk was sufficient for TBF for 8.5 months. I start giving FM from 8.5 months onwards.

Having said all these - don't feel bad if in the end you don't have enough BM because like what I said, situation differs for each individual. We can try our best but should not stress yourself over it.

sardonyx,
i'm a bit kiasu and worried of diaper rash for young babies so I only use Pampers and Mami poko for newborns. When baby is older, I started to use other brands like Goon, Nepia and Huggies. For pullups, I prefer Huggies as the cutting is just nice for my son. Sometimes diapers also have to see cutting. Try not to buy too many NB diapers in case your baby gain weight fast.

yumii,
For me, I always leak when I bf and sometimes when I'm late in giving milk so I will have to wear breastpad 24hr. But again, this depends on individuals. I do not like the smell of BM on clothings so prefer to catch it in breast pad rather than keep washing bra to remove the smell and stain.

thanks ZP1503, Yingzz & Fifi on KKH pre-adminstration.

i am not w TPS so maybe that's why the doctor never ask me to do pre-admin...

re: maternity leave
I am thinking of taking 4 days AL in Aug (during the PH week) so that the maternity leave can be longer. But not sure if my boss & HR will accept such arrangement or not...

Proposed maternity leave
Take 1 week before EDD on 25 May 2012 (inclusive of 9 days annual leave)

Annual leave : 21 ~ 25 May (5 days)
Maternity Leave : 28 May ~ 27 July 2012 (2 months)
Extended Maternity Leave : 30 July ~ 19 Aug (3 weeks)
Annual leave : 21 ~ 24 Aug (4 days)
Extended Maternity Leave : 27 Aug ~ 30 Sep (5 weeks)

Back to office on 1 Oct 2012

ayana, moment

Can drink a bit lah. If it makes them happy & shuts them up, just close 1 eye lor. Prob only is if they go a bit overbaord & start bottle-feeding water, drink more water than milk, hiccup, drink 1 bottle, between feeds, drink 1 bottle, at nigh before sleep, drink 1 bottle, weather hot, drink 1 bottle.. then got serious prob liao!

mermaider

The first 8 weeks of maternity leave MUST be taken in full. Cannot break it up. Only the remaining can be broken up.

thanks Jul,
ya, i am aware that the first 8 weeks of maternity leave MUST be taken in full.

i am think if the remaining 8 weeks can be broken up into 3 weeks , AL , then 5 weeks...

mermaider

If you're talking abt the remaining leave, then can break up lah. Sorry I didn't read carefully *oops* I'm planning to do that too hee

Hi Mermaider

wow.. since like yours like very long hor... all the way till Oct then back to work.. shiok.. Maybe yours is end May that y looks long to me haha..

Oh, I will give sip of water and not the whole bottle and of course bb wont be able to drink that much also haha..

for my first 2 babies.. my grandma give bb red dates water.. which will help jaundice. I am not sure mummies here believes anot.. but it really helps.. esp if doc ask to monitor bb when back home..

I will be taking full 4months maybe starting from next week bah.. but not yet confirm yet wait till I see gynae on Monday, but I hope will start nx week since I got leave to cover don wan to drag so long haha..

I wil be back to work on 3 Sep.. after my maid is back from her holiday, but hope she wont play me out.. if she nv come back then I will need to take no pay leave liao...

moments

My MIL wanted to use bottle to feed my baby water lor. I insisted no, she had to use teaspoon to feed. She was quite bushuang, but I was also bushuang mah. Each give in a bit lor haha

moments:
Basically when you make FM, it is made with water that is quite hot/warm. This temperature kills the nutrients in BM. Hence I say do not mix FM & BM (i.e. dun mix in the same bottle). If you are giving both kinds, best is to feed FM & BM during different feeds.

Michi:
This is why I try to let you have all the answers first so that you do not doubt yourself. :p

BM is 70% or more water. So baby gets enuff water already. No need to give additional water. Actually there are some studies that giving water to infants is not good. I did not read the study so cannot comment though.

mermaider:
Whether the remaining can be broken depends on company too. Some companies allow you to break but must be taken 1 week at a time, some allow you to take by day, etc. The legislation allows you to break but its stated subject to company policy too.

Ya lor, TBF bb no need to give water. If wan to give also dunno 30ml the most onli in a day (i tink).

Even my HB also tell mi wat if bb next time dun like to drink water if u dun give bb water to drink now? Really diao~ lor

Anyone getting an air purifier for nursery room? I read about some negative ions purifier eg Sharp Plasmacluster. But it didnt mention if suitable for babies. Any idea?

Contractions
I keep complaining tt I dunno how contractions feel... But now I hv a pain ard my whole tummy but it feels like I need to shit. I've been constipated for a few days n last night I took some meds from my gyne tt helps to soften stools or something like tt. This morning I pooped already. Now while driving it hurts. I dunno if it contractions or I need to poo again. Shld I be goin for my Brazilian appointment now???

Hi mermaider,
Your 1st 8wks seems longer than 8weeks, maybe u wanna count again, 8 wks shd end 20jul instead of 27 jul? Think need to count based on no.of weeks..

Hi mummies,
Those giving birth in mt A can chk if need to pre-submit that admission form they sent to us? On d letter was stated to give to them at least 1day bef admission..

Thanks Fifi.. ya will give on different feed just afraid that breast milk not enough.. but for my 2nd boy still ok manage to feed him fully breast milk for 4 months..

Only 6 months then start him on formula..

For those delivering at KKH, i understand that they provide confinement food. do they provide the longan red date tea as well? Do we have to bring our own red date tea?

Re: Water
Agreed that BF-ing babies dont need additional water... but in any case, not much harm to the baby as long as dont give too water la... and best, spoon fed baby the water...
IMPT: I DIRECTLY hint my PIL that it is MY BABY. I have the say. BUT i really spend A LOT of my time supervising my PIL and kept stopping them from doing things which i told them not to do. I will repeat, repeat & repeat. At times, i will hide baby in the room for a moment. Only by doing so, i can really rest. But of course, my PIL sort of 'listen' to me, cos my family got a lot of babysitting experience. So i can say that i have a lot more experience as compared to them. (my winning point) hahaha...

RE: Maternity Leave
I am taking 12 weeks of ML and then use the balance 4 weeks (which is 20days left) to make it a 4 days work week... Which means i will not be working every Wednesday... Cool right? Work 2 days, rest 1 day, work 2 days, rest 2 days...

thanks mommies! i better be safe than sorry re diapers so i'll not scrimp on cheap brands. in case baby has diaper rash, then we switch brands? i heard that desitin is very good in treating diaper rashes.

ML

My company nd to clear all at one go. N i started my ml this wed as i will b having c-sec on 28 apr.

Water

Bf bb dun nd extra water. Actaully too much water is not gd for bb too. I rmb reading it somewhr fr e net.

Ynby80

When is ur edd? U plan to go c-section?

Chocolateteddy have u poo?
I realized these few days morning I will poo but the stomach pain will starts ard 3-4am..

I hope it will clear some of my poo as keep constipated the last few months. Dunno will help to clear some of the bacteria in our intestines anot lol.. I only try to think ways to make me feel comfortable if not keep thinking abt the GBS.
sad.gif

dolly: if you sterilize your pump after every use, this also includes during nighttime? since they say to pump every 2-3 hours.

Moment;
Yesterday am pooed, nite oso. Pain on n off in the pm. Nite was very slowly pain got bad n had to rush hubby out of toilet so I can poo. Then later pain again, thot wanna poo but feeling went away by the time hubby let me hv the toilet.
M not sure it's the meds for constipation I took previous nite or signs of contractions. But not vry serious pain so I think no need kan cheong yet.

Hi mummies,

Was reading through and it seems like there are some questions regarding breastfed babies needing water.

I'm a mummy of 2 and my younger boy is turning 7mths soon.

Just to share:
Breastfed babies do not need additional water.
If you noticed, the foremilk is quite diluted and it acts as 'water' to them already.
The hind milk is the one that is thick, rich and creamy.
Remember to latch on long enough on each side to ensure that your baby also gets the hindmilk.

If the elderly in your house insist on feeding baby water, please ensure:
(a) Luke Warm water (similar to body temp)
(b) Not more than 30ml in a day

Explain nicely to the old folks:
- Baby's body size is small, so 30ml for their body size is considered a lot already
- Too much water leads to thinning of the blood, and that leads to lack of oxygen in the brain (brain damage)

Do feel free to email me if you need any help with breastfeeding or childcare issues.
happy.gif

Regards,
Audrey
[email protected]

me too .. am having on & off feeling to poo ..

And i've been poo'g like a few times a day .. sometimes no poo but juz hav the feeling only ..

hi mummies,

WTS: Preloved 3+mth old latest model Aprica Soraria High Seat Stroller

Latest Aprica model retail price at $800+
Selling at $600 negotiable
Weight : 6.8kg
Condition: 9/10
Used for about 3+mth.
Colour: Carido Navy

Private message me if you are interested. Possible to arrange to meet up at Jurong Point or town to see the condition before purchase.
--
More information: http://www.aprica.jp/products/babycar/typea/92702_2

Currently #1 most popular stroller in Japan
http://www.aprica.jp/products/babycar/two_way_multi

A high seat stroller, 50cm from the ground.
Automated 4-wheel system with soft suspension.
Simple & smooth adjustable handle that can be adjusted to be forward facing or rear-facing while the seat is fixed.
Air Breeze seat that is comfortable and pleasant.
Double thermo medical system that provides ventilation and cuts off heat.
Double Trapezoid seat that fits and aligns with the natural growth of the baby.

Is pooing is a sign of labour?

I realized something funny... If my tummy is itchy and after I scratched it, bb inside will move and try to poke that part which I scratched hahaha..

Ayana >> Not sure too .. need those non-first time mum to tell us ..

Keiko >> Hav u seen Dr Tham ? Hw many weeks nw ? What are the checks he do this session ?

Mrs Ho: I've seen him on Wednesday and now at 37 ++ weeks.. he didn't do any test on me at all, just told me that baby is 2/3 into place... previously was swap test where he said I'm GBS +ve and gave me antibiotics to finish within 5 days... what about you?

Ayana: baby is playing with you! :D so adorable... but ya, pls dun scratch ah.. if not end up with tiger strips like me..
sad.gif

Poo:
yeah, i also poo numerous times a day... after i poo, ill feel tummy ache... -_-"

I was worry dunno bb will come out this weekend anot. Cos my below more painful. Even lie down when bb kicks also pain. I still haven repair my laptop yet. Tot of bringing this weekend and after done can bring to mount a. Wondering if they got wifi connection. Guess it Shd hv bah..

amy_yeo: I think its either $30 or $35... kinda forgot coz its 2 checkups before..
happy.gif
and yep, its week 35... he didn't do estimation... EDD will always remain the same i guess...

Moment: I hope my baby don't come out this weekend... hubby wun be around at all... x.x i'm praying very hard for labour day or after.. haha! don't dare to walk... keep lying on the bed, coz walking got gravity, helps prepare for labour.. i wana prevent at the moment.. lol!

Back