(2012/04) Apr 2012

enidmummy: you are teaching o level classes? but then, sec sch has shorter term. I am teaching in primary school. I die die also have to endure until week 10, and now its only week 2. grrrr.

Lemon: ya. Basically my classes range fr Sec 1-4, n and o level. Things will be slightly better after week 7 when the kids go off for their hols. But we will start our SEM writing, planning for next yr till end of nov when we are officially off.
Endure!

Hoping what El said is true - if mummy like to eat, means baby like to eat. My #1 totally dislike taking his meals.. like milk and porridge. What a headache! Haha.. And when I was pregnant with no. 1, I wasnt so hungry like with this #2.

Why is it that I always feel extremely bloated after lunch when I only have noodles soup? Any cure to purge all those gas?

Mummies> All of you talking abt fat. Last nite just before i sleep I went to open my records for weight and tummy measurement. I only started measuring from 16 wks in the 1st pregnancy and guess what. Now I not even 12wks tummy is 3cm more then previous 16wks and weight is 0.5 kg more then previous 16 wks. I really dont know what I should do man. Should I stop snacking???

Amiang- the only way for me to clear the bloated feeling is to walk around more or to have some ginger water.

Leo_baby - Size of tummy shouldn't be an indication. Sure to get bigger the 2nd time round. As for weight, must try to control to 10-12 kg over entire pregnancy unless you were originally underweight. Maybe try taking lower calorie snacks?

I agree with El. Ideal weight gain for most is 10 to 12kg. Unless you are underweight. Under weight = BMI says you are underweight yah. Not our own definition that we are fat and over weight. haha.
Try not to eat too much chocolate, sugary stuff, which provides nothing but empty sugar. Potato chips and other snacks are just salty also try to refrain if possible.
If really need to eat those, limit to a few pieces eat time lor.
For #1, I try to snack on corn flakes. Not exactly the healthiest, but better than eating chocolate the whole day lar.

Though I gained the ideal 12kg for my first pregnancy , it was because I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes n was supposed to control diet...it was terrible...had to feel hungry all the time...dozens of things that I'm forbidden to eat, plus the daily 7 pricks on fingers to test glucose level...
Thus this time round, I was hoping that GD would not be back to haunt me n I could eat as much as I like...
happy.gif

Same here,mossie..
I could not do anything much other than lying in bed most of the time...at times I would be so depressed that I cried and ended up vomiting....I even have fleeting thoughts of suicide...but the depressed mood is the work of the hormones too...thus have to think of better times to come, everything is worthwhile upon seeing that little fellow on the scans..
Let's look forward to the end of ms...be positive... You are definitely not alone...
happy.gif

amiang: i took ginger drink..it helped me alot tho i felt alot more unladylike with the gas escaping fr top n bottom!! HAHAHA!

mossie: it's not easy really. im sure most of e mothers go thru wat u are goin thru. but it really does get better along e way. i got really depressed when my nauseousness hit e peak too. i blamed e whole world n my incapability to combat the sickness. what worked for me was to find out wat food made me less sick. i jus kept eating that lor..in my case, i had alot of ricola n kiam kiam stuff..not e healthiest food to b feedg urself but it beats feelg horrible e whole day.. n of cz i slept like there was no tmr. come 2nd trimester, we must really make up for all e crappy food we've been feedg ourselves n bbs!

mossie, i totally feel you. MS was bad enough, but now comes headache too. i cry whenever i have headache

ethan: we really have to hang on. it should just be a few weeks away.

twoormore: i also thought i should keep sticking to the same food. but the tummy is fickle minded! all the food which i thought made me better, is making me feel awful now as well. oh well...

tangerinez: haha, bb is already makg u busy in-utero. ya ya, but i get wat u mean..tts why those foodstuff tt were pretty consistent for me were snacks. main meals are still a guessing game for me! even up to now!

i had worse ms when i had my no.1 but at tat time, i didnt have to work and i forget how i get through it too.

This time round, i am self employed and we are short handed. Everytime the ms hit, the first thing that comes to my mind is how to stop it immediately, and the only thing thats comes to my mind - the fastest way - is to terminate the pregnancy. But as this baby is all i wanted for the past 4 yrs, i know i would never do that. but just the thought of it makes me guilty.

ethan_ethel, i dont have the suicide thought but just like u, i sit down and cry when im all alone. I just wish that i can lie in bed all day and the whole world will just leave me to rot by myself. my next visit is 2 more weeks and i really duno how im going to cope these 2 weeks.

twoormore, for my #1... i puke until 7months. Life was hell and i dun even remember i had a good time eating all i want at all. i duno why i had the courage for #2, maybe becoz i really love babies. i am praying very hard that this time around, ms only last 1st trimester. I envy those ppls who doesnt have ms, my sis was easy all the way till birth. right now, i just wana hide in a corner and cry again.

ok, on not so depressing thoughts... I did one super kiasu thingy. I got my CL already although my EDD is like 30apr. No choice, next yr is dragon yr and my CL is very hot. I only want her to do for me coz she did my no.1 and also for my sis recently. She almost reject me coz she was already booked in Mar next yr and she need time to rest.

Hey mossie and mummies with bad ms, I've been there too with my first two pregnancies. So bad I lost 8kg in each n now this 3rd one I've lost 5kg. Feel like invalid n so sad to be sick for 5wks now it seems like it won't end.

But it will. And for the sake of your baby n yourself, you will get through this, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

At times when all I can do is lie in bed but can't sleep, I listen to my fav songs or pray so I hv smthg positive to focus on. Massaging my hands or head also helps distract me a bit. Sucking on a sweet or preserved plum also helps keep nausea at bay. Despite all this, some time in the day will still puke or feel nauseous or giddy lor. What to do?

Dont let this experience break you ok? If anything, it will give u more strength. And more empathy for those who hv prolonged illness eg. suffering fr nausea cos of chemotherapy, for instance. At least we hv a beautiful baby at the end of this.

mossie: *hugs* dun ever think of termination ok? tat crossed my mind too in e initial stage when i cldnt accept n i still feel guilty thinkg abt it now.. MS is a sign tt bb is doing well so take consolation in tat..i pray tat u n all e other MS-prone moms will get well asap... i know u will ride this out. =)

gina: u are my idol. =)

massage lady: i've booked mine. this time im determined to burn out all the fats. ive been too undisciplined for the first 2 n that explains my jelly belly tat nvr went away *dammit*. LOL

who's addicted to icy cold drinks right now?

Mummies with bad ms,
Hang on ya! It will go away soon! Try to have happy thoughts else it will affect the foetus! I was very stressed at work when I was preggy with no 1 n he turned out to be a grouchy boy. And for no 2 I was working for a super smiley boss n not as stressed. So no 2 turned out to b a very cheerful girl. Right now am also quite stressed with long working hrs but am trying to be cheerful still. Dun want any grouchy bb haha

Mossie, Take care and dun think too much. U can make it de.

Confinement lady: happen to read 2011 thread of confinement lady. Be aware there are some nanny who r con ppl $ and irresponsible. Please be careful before paying for deposit.

Odiey, I having cold drink everyday. This is the only way I feel better during ms. But I hope I can kick off asap.

Twoormore, hah funny
happy.gif
I don't want to be your idol for this reason nor wish upon anyone my weight loss "programme" :p think I caught a cough from my hubby n boys. Woke up to take honey water n now can't get back to sleep.

Any suggestions for natural cough remedy (aside fr drink more water, I still can't do that)?

Mossies, just wanna share w u that gynea do have medi to reduce ms such as nausea or giddiness. Altho i think if we can, they want us to tahan. My gynea said ms is a sign that the pregnancy is secure. For my #1 i didnt want to puke or feel giddy n it was not secure as i kept having spotting. For now i am awake at 530 am cos i wanna puke. Wake up from my sleep cos i wanna puke, felt bad. However like the mummies who shared, we have to think positive. Reading the post here helps as i dont feel alone. The usual headache at times is killing too, when i can't tahan i take panadol. Can't find natural remedy except to nap if it is weekend.

On weight gain, just wanna share that my bb gal was born at 2.6 kg as i do control my diet n whole pregnancy i put on 10kg. However the nurses told me if bb is 3 kg n above it will be easier to look after. My gal was not easy to look after at birth. This time round i will not control so much, at times i take rootbeer if i want something cold. Trying not to eat so much chips tho. Cravings, hahaha

Haze looks quite bad this morning. Take care of yourselves.

My whole family down w throat infection. Boys hv cough too.  
If you find your throat getting itchy, try this home remedy: Mix half a teaspoon of sea salt with some warm water n gargle 2-3 times a day. It worked for me this morning.

I am also down with cough and a slight runny nose. was on mc ytd. argg... and my backache is getting from bad to worse. resorted to salonpas already. else i dun think i can even sit for long.

Summerbliss: Mug rootbeer has no caffine! So if you really need, get that lar. I know it doesn't taste as good a dunderburg or A&W, but better than nothing.

CL: yeah. I heard a lot of horror stories from my #1 mummies grp abt this too. very scary lar. i think my MIL will be doing for me again this round. If cannot, then i think i just order confinement food, and DIY other stuff lar. My MIL also mostly in charge of cooking, cos I bf, so no need help to feed bb. haha. HB can help to bath bb in the morning, my mother can come by in the evening to help out too.

Hi.
I have CL for my 1st 2 babies. Now with the 3rd one coming, my house will be too cramp to accomodate a stay in CL. I'm thinking of getting a day time nanny for 2 weeks then go for ordering confinement food this time.

Hi Mummies,
My hubby and son are down with runny nose and cough too. Think the virus is going around.

Yesterday I scarfed down nearly a whole 50g bag of walnuts after lunch. The bitter taste helped to get rid of the sourish taste in my mouth but I think I ate too much at one go! Cos I ended up with a very "siap" feeling in my mouth.

Just went to my ThomsonBaby page...

Some tests that we need to do in 1st Tri.

==========================
At the first visit to the doctor, a detailed history will be taken to identify any potential risks, as well as, any disease conditions that may run in the family. Routine tests:

1. Pregnancy test
This may be done if the pregnancy has not been confirmed. Pregnancy tests are very accurate and can detect pregnancy from the day the period is missed.

2. Urine test for sugar and protein
This is done at every visit to check for protein and sugar in the urine. While small amounts of sugar and protein may be present, large amounts of sugar may indicate the presence of diabetes, and large amount of protein may indicate a urine infection or kidney problem.

3. Blood count
This is done to ensure that the mother has enough blood, as well as, to screen for Thalassaemia (an inherited blood disorder).

4. Blood group and antibody screen
Problems can occur if the blood type of the mother and the baby are not compatible, or if the mother has antibodies in the blood that may react with the blood cells of the baby. This is especially important in mothers with a Rhesus negative blood type.

5. Infection screening of mothers' blood for Hepatitis B, syphilis and HIV
Hepatitis B infection affects the liver and can commonly be passed to the baby. When this infection is detected, the mother needs to be closely monitored and treatment is given to the baby at birth to minimize transmission. Syphilis is one of the common sexually transmitted diseases that may affect the growth and development of the foetus. When an active infection is identified, antibiotic treatment can be given to reduce the risks to the baby. HIV testing is done as an HIV positive mother is at risk of passing HIV to the baby. Treatment can be given and steps taken to decrease the likelihood of the baby acquiring AIDS

6. Ultrasound
This scan confirms the number, size and location of the foetus and confirms the due date. It can also diagnose early complications such as miscarriage.

Optional tests:
1. Downs’ Syndrome screening tests (from 11 to 14 weeks)
This involves an ultrasound scan of the baby’s neck skin thickness and/or a blood test to determine the risk of the baby having Downs’ syndrome. If the risk is high, the mother will be advised to have an amniocentesis.

I realise my neusea feeling became better after my gynae put a stop on Duphaston for me. I guess the progesterone hormones it produces caused alot of acid reflux which made me to feel like puking all the time.
I was off Duphaston at 8 weeks.. how about you guys?

What is a CL for besides preparing meals for you? Do they stay with you or go back at night? How long do they stay with you for? Any certification proof needed before we decide to engage one? How much do their services cost roughly?
I'm not sure if I'd need a CL since my MIL is a housewife herself and could look after me as I'm staying with her.

Gosh I am so so so sleepy right now -.-

LittleDd: Other then cooking, CL also cares for the bb. Washes bb clothes. Some mummies will request CL to wash their (mummies) underwear seperately as well. Will also prepare bath water for mummy, do marketing, light housework, etc. Most will be stay in, for about 28 days - 40days. Depends on how long the confinement period is.
Price is around $2000.
Most of the CL are malaysians or housewives with no certification.

I will just rely on my MIL also. She will come stay with us for that month. She will do all the cooking, and some light cleaning, like sweeping every morning. Baby will sleep with me cos i want to breastfeed the baby. Clothes i use washing machine to wash. Underwear all disposables until the bleeding stops. Baby clothes also goes into washing machine. If she wants to handwash, i am also fine with that option. She will also do the marketing lar.

If you want to get a CL, do check the forums for comments and reviews. Meet up with her if possible to confirm her job scope. Not all of them does the same thing. Some will not do marketing, while some will not do housework. Must make sure your expectations and the CL's expectations are close lar. Else will have a hard time during that month.

My CL for #1 cooks for me 3 meals, boil the red dates longan tea daily, boils water for my herbal bath when required, takes care of baby day n night, does the laundry for both baby n adults, sterilizing my breast pumps parts, n mops the floor every day....but the only setback is that I got bored of her cooking after a few days...other than that she takes really goodcare of me n baby...
She was social visit pass thus max she could stay is 28 days
It was not through agency , I paid $1800 for her Svcs but we topped up to $2100 as red packet cos we were happy with her Svcs.
Nowadays think have to go thru agency who will charge abt $2k plus they will apply work permit for the CL..
To me i think CL is better than Mil cos can get CL to do more things than MIL, I can have complete rest during confinement

Ni
My bump also showing!!! So fast!! wonder if its normal.. the weird thing is i'm losing weight.

amiang
I'm also on mint sweets all the time till my gal kinda "scold" me yty.. say i eat too much sweet! Faint!!

Mossie
*Hugs* Hang in there! MS will pass soon.. I was horrible the last 2 weeks but this week, back in office, MS seems better.. maybe work is keeping my mind away on the thoughts of MS..
Ofcoz i still have good and bad days. Jiayou!!
I felt so motivated when i saw my beanie "dancing" away during our scan yty.

Oscar
Going for my test 5th Oct.. Appointment to draw blood at 8am and back to see gynae at 4.45pm. Seems like by then results will be out!

CL: I agree with Ethan that you can get CL to do more stuff. Ask MIL do like very paisei lar. Especially the washing undergarments part. =P Then if she don't do things the way you like, very hard to feedback also. But then hb and I really cannot stand having stranger in the house. So we just stick to MIL. If you MIL already staying in, maybe just order confinement food, and let MIL do the rest? Unless MIL don't want lar.
Hb and I gave MIL a big angpow after the confinement. Same as mkt rate confinement price. Just our way to say thank you.

Eliz: Yes. If this is your #2 and beyond, will show faster. Cos all parts lose. Ytd when i went to see GP for my flu, i also asked her why my back ache so bad, she said it's normal, cos all loose liao. That's why feel earlier.

Hihi,
Just to share that for my #1 confinement, i used disposable underwear with maternity pad. Becos we will still be bleeding. So for those whose CL not willing to wash mummies' underwear, maybe can consider this option lor.
Im going to Kuishinbo tonight!
I can't wait. Take care all mummies =)

hi mommies,
i decided not to tahan with the nausea so i went to get some meds from gynae's clinic this morning. took it but it doesn't seem to work 100%. still feel pretty sick....shall take it 3 times tom and see if that helps. hang in there mommies!!! my nausea is so bad at night that i decided to skip attending a wedding dinner next week..sigh...

Hi haru,

Wat medi did gynea prescribe. How many weeks r u at?
I feel that ms will peak around week 10-11 then it gets better for me. Observe also wat food triggers ms. Chilli seems to aggravate it for my case.

Anybody in the 11th week experiencing frequent urination?
I hv to pee every hour starting from the day I turned 11 weeks! Yikes! Sometimes pee already but after 10 mins feel like peeing again but I control.. Lol!

i'm 10 going on 11 weeks. and yes i pee so often! can be very irritating haha..

summerbliss, good luck! dun worry about it just enjoy seeing your little one!
happy.gif

加油 everybody! We survive another day!!

Regarding CL, mostly they will do the housework, look after baby n cook confinement food for the mummy. But depends on her, some will take initiative to do more while others less. Depends on luck when selecting CL. The meetup is only one time so hard to know her character. And deposit given on meetup too cos usually they stay at JB and need to purposely came to meetup.

And I also get sick of the cooking after few days... So this time I'm thinking of ordering instead...

Morning mummies! 2 more days to weekend =)

Re cl, I engaged the same one who did my #2. She's a very good cook n can whip up any sort of dishes. I love her bee hoon kuay/ban mian. She's been our cl for all my circle of friends. That's why gotta book her real early. With cl, I dun feel as stressed up. My mum helped me for no 1 and I felt very stressed as I dun like to trouble my mum so much and she kept doing so much till I felt very bad.

Goodluck on your oscars test, summerbliss!

Tangerinez/andreanie, I m 10 weeks plus too, had to wake uP twice in the night to pee. disturbed sleep... Awww.

Regarding cl, I didn't hire cl for my #1, cos its was cny period and cl were vvvv exp during cny, almost $3k+! Relied on maid and mil. Ended up I didn't had a gd confinement, never rest well, never "pu" properly. So this time I told hub I must must have cl! Will book one cl after my oscars test!

I dunno if it is due to pregnancy hormonal mood swings or my patience really running thin for my stupid boss... Really feel like throwing in resignation letter anytime soon! But cannot in reality due to upcoming expenses etc, feeling v urgh right now, feel like crying.

Im looking forward to my oscar test at my next visit on 14th Oct.. by then I'd be 12.5 weeks!

Anyone told their bosses/colleagues already? I'm not sure how to tell them so that it's politically positive since I've got very nasty colleagues who went arond gossiping that I'm pregnant cos' I commented I put on 5kgs on FB in one of my posts and I refused to admit it cos' I just did not want them to be right. Then realise, I still have to come clean. They're very horrible people who enjoys gossiping since I joined the company more than a year ago. Even things like I broke up a Director's marriage also can... until his wife wrote a letter cos' she believed these aunties.. she was an ex staff..

Goodness.

Hi everyone, this forum is really cool. All the advice, tips and support are so useful for a first timer like me. Thanks!

I'm in week 12 and I have been waking up like 4-5 times at night to pee and sometimes to snack on something coz I was too hungry to sleep.

I think I've put on about 3 kg already and I'm kind of worried about putting on too much after reading about BIG babies. Yesterday, I tried to curb my hunger and not eat too much. Gosh, I felt so miserable.

My mum has agreed to help me during confinement. I feel more comfy with my mum than with a stranger. We will have a part time cleaning lady to help out. Hope that will work out.

yum_mum and little dd, hang in there. Happy weekend is just round the corner!
happy.gif

Complexion: My pimples seem to have stopped erupting! Yipeee... and i think overall complexion is starting to improve.

Am going to gynae this afternoon for my 2nd visit! So excited!

Confinement food: Most have their menus online. Go see before you commit. The foods repeat on a weekly basis. So will also get bored after a while lar.

LittleDd: I am trying very hard to "ren" until 1st tri is over before i announce. I will just tell my boss that I will be on 4 months leave next year! They will get it. That was how he asked me for #1 too! hehe.... The rest of the colleagues, i won't purposely tell, cos news will leak very fast one. Cos once i tell boss, he sure arrange for ppl to cover, then news will go round.
I will send email or sms to close friends to let them know the good news too. Otherwise, FB will do the trick. =D

Anxious: Welcome! Yeaps! I survived my #1 confinement with my MIL and part time cleaning lady. I also used disposable undies and maternity pads for as long as the blood was leaking after birth. So no washing of gross undies required.

Hi Anxious, welcome!

For me in order to try to curb peeing at night or waking up hungry, I try to pee before going to bed and I also drink a cup of fresh milk.

yum_mum-I'm sure that it really is your boss, but yes, not feeling so well in the 1st trimester probably doesn't help. Jia you! Paid maternity leave is worth it and the extra money definitely helps with baby expenses!

Mum of two - I am getting more pimples than usual too. Not sure if this means that I'm having a boy this time! Last pregnancy my skin was very good and I had a girl!

Back