(2011/03) Mar 2011

yes won_mummy!! dont give up!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

annie> yah... usually i place baby liaoz.. then i position myself to accomodate her... else my breast will cover her nose!!! i need to move myself so that there's space between my neh and her nose la..else she suffocate.. lol... :p

jiayou!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Another thing abt pumping is...

DONT STARE AT UR BOTTLES & BREAST!!!

thats very stressful... and ur uield may not be as much....

Try reading a magazine... or something else.. rather than staring at how many drops going into the bottle...

I always pump and go online...

i just reply my emails while the pump works...

before i know it.. the bottle is half fulll.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Like now!

Just came back from Mt A..and CL has fed RL with yest's bottle.. so now i'm pumping to store.. hehe.. :p

I only have 1 bottle a day in the fridge... ehehehe.. :p

Seriously ar... I really really get soooo annoyed by those old folk saying things like "not enough breastmilk lah...Later bb nt full blah blah" damn irritating can !!!! I shoot my mil this morning when she say things like "no breastmilk" blah blah.... Arrrggghhhh!!! Dulan lo.... I damn bad by replying her that "no woman has no milk... Just whether you are hardworking enough anot... " than she say last time , she also no milk... Than i reply... No milk de nu ren, bu shi nu ren lo....!!!! *no offence ahh!*

Pissed !!! =\

hi mummies...

I need help here... I delivered on 8 mar and breasts are very engorged now. Tried to pump but nothing comes out? I m using medela swing. M I doing it wrong? When baby latch there is clear liquid, so that it correct right?

And one more question, how much fenugreek to take? I bought the gnc ones....

Thanks!

Rach: I agree let down n yield is much better when ur distracted n not staring at bottle.. I used to use mumsfairy handsfree kit with my Pisa last time but not very secure leh.. kept feeling like it will fall!!

Hope my freestyle is better!

I tried latching sideways last time cuz csect not easy to sit up gor cradle hold initially.., but was so scared tt I would suffocate my baby! Think my boob too big, I had to hold it away from his nose thru out the session then so scared tt I'll fall asleep! Wahahha

Hey mummies,

When u all mention pump 3hrly, the 3 hr is counting from start of pump or end?

How long to pump after latch? Sian... My CL starts to say bb not having enough milk... -_-"

Realized a lump at both my armpit... Is that engorgement at e armpit as mention by some mummies?

Rach I also dun create much storage coz if got storage means need to use , means need to

Pump

, I only kept a few for times I do massage or need to run errands but no storage also cannot

I very tempted to get a pupsik leh coz I have the ring sling kind... Dun really know how to use

Chocoball> how long u pump and at which level?? Not sure swing can adjust level one or not...

Did u hot compress n massage hard hard before pump??

U need to then milk can come out else all stuck inside..

Alternatively is massage and latch.. Babies ate the best pump..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

They can reach ducts that pumps can't..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Pinky> ya la... U so BIG!!?!!! :p *drool*

I not so big also need to use hand to support and prevent blocking her nose... Position urself Lo... Lie away from her at the chest.. Legs closer to her..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Annie: by 10th day your nipple should be seasoned already la not cos of lying down to latch..

My nipple also sort of seasoned by 7th day..

No need cream anymore.. And I think my bm also cure my pain la..

hello all...

after spending 2 days in Mt A, am gg hm with my bb today...he's cleared of jaudice..yeah!!

And i made it...natural w/o epi

here's my birth story:

11mar11

1am, admitted to Mt A (11 Mar is such as popular date hur, all delivery suites + 1 bedded ward was running full...found out that a no. of ppl choose this date for c-sec)

inserted pill to induce

@ 11am, doc came to burst waterbag...the bursting part is horribly PAINFUL...yucks!

Doc say 2cm dilated...

@ 3.30pm, only 3cm so doc say to put on drip (the momenet i heard drip....siow liao..here comes the most painful part)

@ 6.22pm, bb was born.

length of bb 49cm...the cut was quite deep boy...

milk hasn't kick in yet..LC say nipple short so ask me to keep pumping to stimulate. dont wish to stress myself...hopefully milk will kick in soon....nurse ask me to pump 5mins & rest for 3hrs. i tried 10mins & rest 2hrs, is this ok arh but i can feel the soreness of the nipples.

sorry for the "loh soh ness"

oh..both me & Andrea's baby are born on the same day. Once again, Congrats Andrea.

Chocoball > for fenugreek, take 2 capsules 3 times a day. As advised by tmc lactation consultants. I have been taking it since I had no.1 and find that it helps increase my supply. Now for no.2, am also taking.

Let me know if u need more. I stocked up on gnc fenugreek from US. Costs abt half of what u get at local gnc stores. I have about 5 bottles extra.

Sunesis> pump 3 holy means.. Pump at 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm etc...

Pump after latch mean the moment I finish latching my gal, I'll leave to CL to burp and I'll go to my study room sit down and pump...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

For abt 10min then I'll keep watever milk there is..

2k> haha yah I wanted tO tell Annie also that the soreness could be due to seasoned nipples n not the lyIng down...

Annie> if u try cradle now I think also not so sore le...

Hehe thank God I used as much of the nipple cream as possible in the 1st 10days.. Now no Need le..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Managed to fInish half a tube in 10days.. Lol...

Oh RL is taking abt 90ml at 12-13th day.. Think pretty normal rIte?? She finished both bottles of 90ml yest & today... And that's what I yield after latching her also...

I Only pump once a day.. SOmetImps once in 2 days.. Lazy to pump.. Lol...

Rach: hot compress means put hot towel? Yep, I tried to massage, maybe not hard enough ba. Will try again!

Printz and such: I have 2 bottles now, cos din know how much to take. will get from u when I finishing k? Thanks for the offer!

Chocoball> wahh ... Typing ur nick I feel like eating chocolates!!!!! Lol...

Massage means hard hard one hor...

Actually more effective for someone to do for u.. Like ur hubby... It's pain until can cry one.. Hard hard press and rub... And squeeze... Ouch!!!!

hi mummies,

its been 5 days since gave birth to Janelle.. life as a 1st time mum was like everything is new to me..sometimes when she cries, i also dunno what she wants sia..

anyway, abt bfing - my ger still doesnt know how to latch on n she treats my nipple as a pacifier.. so i gave up on latching and now doing exclusive pumping out of bm for her.. tried cup feeding also, but cos my mum takes care of her, cup feeding to my mum is like "what is that!, how to feed etc".. so, in order not to feel so stressed up, i have introduced bottle to my ger..at least nite time my mum can still feed her..

at times i still wonder why cant i successfully latch her on.. haiz! was almost to tears when hb assured that it doesnt matter whether she latches on.. as long as i am still giving her bm its ok liao.. now every 2 hours i pump, 2x let down and each time i pump for 15 mins.. milk supply still relatively low, abt 40-50ml per 2 hour.. so day time is exclusive bm than nite time give fm..

i will persist on de and hope to give her bm exclusively asap!!!

now she also abit of jaundice.. tmr pd check hopefully can pass sia..

Allets> what do u mean by u can't latch on and she treat nipple as pacifier?? If she's treating as pacifier means she's latching on!?

By Sucking she's also getting milk ah..

Allets, 50ml per 2h is very gd supply for 5 days. Kip it up. If exclusivevpump, then no harm giving bottles, Unless u plan to latch again. Cup feeding is not easy.

Erm...I never think cup feeding good leh.. Think it will choke baby and made a mess.. So far my both boys have no problem with latching and sucking..

Allets: bb is not sucking or what? Could it be u hv short/inverted nipples that's why? Otherwise bb natural instinct, u squeeze some milk at your nipple there then tempt her in the mouth, if hungry their mouth sure know how to find one.. A few days old bb maybe dunno yet. But a week old bb usually can...

Actually exclusive pumping is ok too la.. Don't worry it's still your precious milk to ur bb..

In fact I only half latch half pump for my bb for two months before I get back to work..

Reason: I don't want him to get addicted to latching hard time weaning off.. And also others can help me feed..so it's not a bad idea after all huh..,

Jiayou!

Rach: I didn't use much nipple cream this round though.. Cos got once I apply alot hor then end up kiefer mouth so oily! Lol.. So I just lun like what u said grit the teeth.. Now 7th day my nipples seasoned also...

Haiz poor nipples work so hard.. Dunno when then can rest..

Bingbing, congrats!!! I was waiting for yr update!! Such a smooth delivery! So happy for u! =D

U huv GD like me right? Did yr gynae mention anything abt that? When will we know that we don't have GD anymore?

Sunesis: I count my 3hourly from start of my pump.. I usually pump 25 mins in between pause..then continue.

If let's say bb cries just nice near to my next pump, I latch, after that I pump 15mins..

If let's say I latch (not due for pumping yet), I do my next pump on my supposed schedule time..

Did I confused u?

I very on pumping and latching now cos I m trying to boost my supply.. Only the midnight one, I buay tahan la.. Always zzz thru.. But no issue cos when morning I can pump out the amount that I missed

Sian... Start Liao... My CL says bb still hungry after I latch her... Feed my miserable 40ml from last nite ebm... Bb still sticking put her tongue... Then my mum best, say I no milk, milk nv flow out is it? Say bottle feed bb can drink faster, latch so long oso dunno got drink how much... -_-"

Very demoralized... I'm trying to keep my spirit up le... Alrdy give in to bottle & FM... Really regret! Tml if pass e jaundice test, I'm going to total bf... Latch n latch... Say me no milk I oso wanna latch! So upset...

Hi,

I seldom post but veri angry w cl. My ger 7 days old. She feed her 80ml ebm & say her mouth still moving, nvr slp. Go warm up another 40ml ebm wo asking me. b4 milk ready, my ger slp. I ask her y warm up so much, is like total 120ml wor. She say wait 20 ml 20ml top up meh. then I say she slp & can't keep Liao as hv bacteria cos she used back same milk bottle. Then she go pour away. I so heart pain...

hi mummies,

Just to let u know i've delivered my bb girl, Nynn on 8 march, c-sect with epidural, hubby witnessed the delivery process. Just discharged fr hosp yesterday, extended a day due to Nynn's jaundice. My birth story was not excited as nature birth, quick and fast as below :

admitted before 8am.

went through cleaning procedures and clear bowel...

sent to the Operating theater ard 11am.

Went thru epidural injection, and felt numb immediately.

gynae came ard 1145am, and started the surgery..

my ger came out b4 12nn...tear dropped when seeing my ger out with loudy cries...

gynae continues with delivery of placenta and stictches on uterus...

I started to join the moo moo grouup an hour after delivery...latched on for 30-40 mins...and felt my sore nipple after few latch on...my sore nipples get worsen by day 4 but milk flow has kicked in quite well, and started to express the milk using hosp medela breast pump...

Was regretted not purchased de breast pump earlier, as unsure if i got milk flow, also i got the breastpump fr my sil (pureen). so thought to purchase it only if needed...but it's v painful and the suction is too strong. End up, i went to get the medela swing from stores last night as cant bear my sore nipples...just to share the lesson learned...with u all, prepare well before needed!!!

ANGELIA--sama sama leh...

WOn-mummy/BB Bride-- actually las time my own mum din give us breast milk oso..engorgementt and no supply..and the story ends there..

so now nt giving BF seems normal to them ..

some of my own friends rush back to wk didnt give BF oso..alot depends on individuals..but this forum is encouraging..but do not blame or push yourselftoo hard oso ..jus give it the best shot..

heeelllooo! Jus finished pumping aft coming hm frm tuina n ntuc.. =\ feeling so tired.. Everyday like nt enuf slp.. Really don dare think when CL goes back n I'm alone w both.. Think the more I don needa slp.. =.=

Congrats bingbing n yean.!

Allets: exclusive pumping is ok too la.. So long bb takes yr bm, it's all better den none.. Don get too stressed up.. Diff ppl has diff ways of handling.. Like fr me, I feel tt I can manage my time n Javier better when I pump.. Tts y I'm on total expressing too.. Jia you! Breastfeeding is nvr easy frm the

start.. Tts y we need perserverance!!! =))

sunesis/2Ks: I count frm the time I pump also.. I pump 10 mins.. Rest awhile n cont for another 5 mins to get more milk.. Sunesis, don b demoralized! U can do it! Keep yr spirit up! Hurhur.. Yea, say u no milk.. Prove it to them! As long as bb keep latching or u keep pumping sure will haf milk!

Shirley: Breastfeeding bbs poo more den fm fed bbs.. Yellow poo is normal I guess.. =)

Jaime: I haf MIM sling too.. N I got 2 pupsiks! One frm Jav's time n another order frm Rach.. Pupsik's v cool n easy to manage.. U shld get 1! Hehehe.. Even till nw, Jav still sits in the pupsik n slp... =D

pinky: I agree w Rach, yrs v big leh... Haahaha.. So I can imagine u latch n cover Sunay's nose last time .. =X

2Ks: so for nw, u on total latch? Or also 50/50?

Just to share an article on FEEDING WATER TO BABIES:

August 19, 2009, 10:57 AM

Is It Safe for Babies to Drink Water?

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

Too much water can be dangerous for young babies.

Q.

Is it safe for babies to drink water? I heard there’s a 1 percent chance they could get encephalitis.

D.J., New York, N.Y.

A.

Dr. Alan Greene responds:

Even though water may be the safest and healthiest everyday beverage for older children and adults, water can be dangerous for young babies.

During the months before starting solid foods, the amount of water already present in breast milk or formula usually provides all of the water that healthy babies need both to grow and to replace the water they normally lose through their urine, stool, skin and lungs.

Dr. Alan Greene. (Tami DeSellier)

Water intoxication

Too much water can cause water intoxication in babies. Each time a baby pees, he or she loses not only water but sodium and other electrolytes. But unlike with adults, who tend to get too much sodium in our diets, babies usually get just the electrolytes they need from breast milk or formula. Too much water and they lose too much sodium. The sodium levels in their blood can plummet and cause irritability, brain swelling, unresponsiveness and seizures. (Note: Water intoxication also involves other factors, but that’s more detail than I can go into here.)

The risk of water intoxication is especially high if the baby is losing both water and electrolytes from diarrhea. Fluid losses should be replaced with breast milk, formula or perhaps a rehydration solution. Don’t give plain water for rehydration.

The risk is also high if formula is diluted with too much water in a misguided effort to save a little money.

What about hot weather?

In very hot weather, when babies may be losing extra water without urinating more, it can be O.K. to offer a bottle-fed baby a small (2 to 4 ounce) bottle of water between formula feedings – but there is no need to force this. Most will do well with just a little extra formula if they seem thirsty. Breast-fed babies are even less likely to need extra water.

What about dehydration?

If you are concerned that your baby is getting dehydrated, contact your health care provider. We expect babies to pee at least once in the first 24 hours of life, at least twice in the second 24 hours, and at least three times every day thereafter.

What about encephalitis?

Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain. It’s closely related to meningitis, or inflammation of the tissues protecting the brain, and the two often go together. Infections are a major cause of encephalitis.

When people think of encephalitis infections, they often think of mosquito-borne infections like West Nile Virus. But waterborne encephalitis infections are also possible, though they are quite rare in the United States.

All tap water from public water systems in the United States must adhere to Environmental Protection Agency safety standards and is usually free from infection-causing organisms. Nevertheless, infections sometimes occur and are especially likely during a natural disaster like a flood or earthquake, when public and private water supplies may become contaminated.

For those with strong, healthy immune systems, infections from drinking water are usually minor and are often limited to the digestive tract, causing symptoms like diarrhea. In young babies younger than a month or two and in those who are immunocompromised, the infections are more likely spread to other parts of the body, including the brain.

What about parasites and other organisms in drinking water?

The tiny Cryptosporidium parasite is one of the most common causes of drinking water infections in the United States. Cryptosporidium is not killed by chlorine but is killed by boiling. Advisories to boil water should blanket the local news whenever there is an outbreak in a public water supply, but there may be a delay. The biggest known outbreak occurred in Milwaukee’s city drinking water in 1993, when more than 400,000 people became ill with diarrhea, and it took two weeks to figure out that drinking water was the source.

Most, but not all, home water filters will remove Cryptosporidium and other parasites. Look for filters that have an absolute pore size (not a nominal pore size) of 1 micron or less, or that are reverse osmosis filters, or that have the NSF trademark plus the words “cyst removal.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did a two year survey from 1993 to 1994 to measure the scope of all illnesses from drinking water. They found a total of 30 outbreaks in 17 states that sickened 2,366 people (not counting the huge Cryptosporidium outbreak) – a very small slice of the overall population. One child died from waterborne meningo-encephalitis (from a different parasite — amoebas), but he had been swimming in a waste-water holding pond and in a river that were both contaminated with the organism.

Of the 30 drinking water outbreaks, 20 occurred from well water; one was from commercially bottled water. A median of 33 people were affected in each outbreak. Giardia (another parasite) was the second most common organism, followed by Campylobacter. And Shigella, Salmonella and cholera were responsible for one outbreak each. For the other five outbreaks, the cause was never determined.

Should you boil water given to young babies?

Boiling is the most certain way of killing all of these organisms. Even though the risk of any infection is probably far below 1 percent, I agree with the American Academy of Pediatrics in recommending that sterile water be used for young babies, even when used to prepare infant formula. In practice, this usually means boiling the water for one minute, at least for the first couple of months.

When does water become a positive good?

After the immune system has matured a bit, and solid foods have started, breast milk or formula should still be the primary beverages. But if a baby still seems thirsty between feedings and doesn’t want to nurse more, or is already getting 32 ounces of formula a day, water is the very best additional beverage. If this is the case, offer 2 to 4 ounces of water between feedings, especially in hot weather. As children continue to grow, water remains an excellent beverage.

Too much fruit juice is not good for babies or toddlers, but that’s another story.

Dr. Alan Greene, of the Web site drgreene.com, is a pediatrician and author in Danville, Calif.

Lilprecious: yup doing 50% latch and 50% pump and one night feed of fm, and some water to rinse mouth.

Although I have ample to cover his whole day supply but I still give one night feed of fm.. Cos trying to drag his night feeding longer leh..

So that when cl goes back it's easier for me..

Hi I've a set of brand new Philips Avent Digital Sterilizer (keeps contents sterile for 24hrs) going at $150 (UP $199). Bought wrongly cannot fit the bottles that I have. Interested please PM me.

rach: ha ha... but confinement cannot eat chocolates meh? cos i have been drinking milo leh. that is also some form of chocolate no meh?...oops..

Lilp: u also very big leh!! Rach, I'm sure Lilp also can make u drool right?! Hahhaha

But ya, my babies all quite small.. Sunay was 2.7 as birth so was quite afraid to smother him. This girl was 2.8 on wed... Let's find out her birth weight tomo... But not big either lor

You all say that your MILs don't support bfeeding... I got opposite problem lor! My mil insists on bfeeding on demand! As in every time sunay would even whine she wants me to latch him!! Before n After baby massage want me to latch.. Latch to sleep.. Latch after bath.. 24hrs latch!!!

She was quite pissed when I started pumping at 3 weeks to store cuz I had to go off for work stuff occassionally n wanted a gd supply in freezer.

Sore nipples also say me that I latch wrong cuz last time between 3 kids she bfed for 7 yrs consecutively n no pain..

Csect pain also my fault, infection after tt also I so drama... Cannot tahan a bit of pain n take antibiotics then bad fr baby (even tho it's bfeeding safe n I kept latching)!!

So.. Conclusion is that no extremes r good... Must b adaptable n flexible. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

That's why after crying all the time in my last confinement, this time I told her no need, my mum can help n my maid quite capable. Sigh... Hope it works out!!

i so damn pissed..i wanted to go out to walk walk ard the condo grounds.. breath some fresh air also cannot...

must stay in the house....damn damn piss

Somewhat depress now...

CL go feed bb FM just now without asking me. Sob...

Then I pump... Suddenly blood gush out... Cried... At loss... History repeating itself & I dunno wat to do next... Only remembered last time I also cried...

Hi sunesis,

don't get too stress up.... let ur breast rest n heal b4 trying to pump again...

don't worry, when i have my no. 1 and no.2 i started TBF only from 2nd month onwards... somehow my milk supply low, gynea also say nothing much i can do... so i go slow n feed my nb FM + latch on BM (partial), strangely there is no nipple confusion, after month 2, I TBF my no.2 for 2.5 years... it make a difference to baby well-being...starting late abit is ok, just don't b stress cos will affect quality of milk, initially i was anxious n turn pump to max power to stimulate milk but become "strawberry milk" i actually wanted to give up but my hubby keep encouraging me, so i just keep trying till month 2 then got enuf milk for baby... dunno y the milk supply took so long to kick in (i also took feenugreek leh) , mayb i c-section that's y...

hi sunesis

apply nipple cream after u let baby latch on or pump. that helps, even if it's for a few hrs. if u have lasinoh nipple cream, it's safe for babies. i juz started BFing n i forgot how painful it can be! hang in there!

Sunesis: as per what I mentiOned earlier. Stop pumping one round first.. I also got strawberry milk before.. Was shocked like u. But bo Bian la suddenly u want yr nipple to work so hard they can't we also Bo Bian..

Just substitute with fm first ya..

lailai - doc din say abt my GD, 1wk later to check the would, 1mth later to go for another glucose test then we will know the result. hopefully glucose level will go back to norm. let's jiayou ok!!

hi pixie, rach

thanks! yes, i had engorgement at the armpit for my 1st baby too but it wasn't as bad as this time. this time is both armpits! i tried hot compress but not effective so now patiently waiting for my massage lady to turn up tomorrow.

for my 1st one, i also had alot of blocked ducts even tho i kept pumping n clearing every 2 hrs. had infection, fever etc. went down to see lactation consultants a few times....was hoping it will be better this time round but well....

2ks - correct me if i'm wrong...

u pump every 3hrs..if it is near latching time, u latch yr baby for 20-30mins then u pump for the next 15mins.

am gg to latch bb @ 6.30pm, last feed was at 3pm. then am to pump for the next 15mins to stimulate the breast....correct mah?

I think I have just lost my mucous plug. Yesterday morning just did vaginal examination. Have not dilate, currently 38.5 weeks.

Should I be concern?

Back