(2010/04) April 2010 mtb

recently started potty train my girl as she got very bad rashes.. till now, I'm quite happy to see that my girl able to go diaperless even night time.. but she will wake up to pee.. hopefully slowly she can hold her pee longer.. now longest is abt 3-4 hrs.. which i think it's very good liao..

now my problem is going out, how ah?? if not in time to find a toilet how?? especially in the car or mrt or bus..

Chips - you mean he pooed 8 times after taking brown rice or are you considering the switch. 8 times a day is no joke. Do bring him to a doc today if he's not well. Poor boy. I hope he'll recover soon.

Chlosper,

not lao is normal shitting.. I saw grains in it n pieces of black thing. I went sch n asked den I know is brown rice..

Chips - brown rice at their age is ok..my gal has it too..but she doesnt like the taste. tink the poo due to too much milk intake?

Juye - nw say dun wan #2 but prob wen ur gal starts asking for another sibling or wen he sees an only vhild can get quite lonely at times then he'll change his mind. Else, time to make the accident happen!!

SG_SC

cannot b bah cos the shit got particles inside..

sesame seeds, black fungus, n mixture of green n brown n grey.. also don't know how to describe..

Chips - 8 times a day seems unusual, even if it's normal stools. Is he all right now? Perhaps one reason could be the introduction of new food. Wah - the cc's menu is quite interesting. Black fungus and sesame seeds some more!

Hj - I think it's ming who has signed up/or shown interest in mandeville.

Ming - went for staccato trial today. We took the Beethoven toddlers class. Not too "chim". He enjoyed the class and I signed him up after that.

there seems to be reported LS going around - brown rice is heaty - i dont think its the reason for the loose stools.

could be food dirty, or viral attack making the gut sensitive

chlosper .. staccato is too far for us .. my friends kids go to mandeville and highly recommended us .. so I just follow blindly haha ..

Tks Cellow! Gotta start over again.. :p

Bf woes again: Expert moo mooers, can advise the below:

If I jus latch on in the day as n wen bb requires, must stil pump aft latch? Many times i pump aft latch wen bb falls asleep wif breasts half empty nia but bb will then wake up n Cry for milk again whilst pumping. So will bottle feed whatever I pump out or supplement wif FM. So shld I jus wait for bb's cue to latch on dd?

But if I dun pump aft latch, breasts wun be fully empty n ss wun go up. My CL says its ok one so long as latch on dd. is tis true?

sgsc,

over the first 2 weeks, I do not pump after latch and just latch on demand. the boobs are still adjusting, i m still adjusting, bb is still adjusting, #1 is still adjusting, dh is still adjusting. there is no point to add more stress to myself.... like it or not, I will def think abt how much I pump, is it enough for bb, is my milk creamy enough and nutritious enough (sometimes I shake the bottle up to try and see if it is too watery). all these nonsense and mind games, I can live without in the first few weeks of adjustment.

the impt things for bfeedg are get enough rest, drink water and soups and relax!!!

Cellow- great to hear tat. So I can still "relax" for another week or so then..basically jus latch on demand for nw then will have to be diligent in latching n pumping after tat! Ok got it. Actually my hb so zen lor..got CL. I feel like he's the one on confinement. Jus eating n zzz only all day long. Damn Unfair!!!

sgsc,

i rem for C1's thread, there was a super productive mummy who expressed out 500ml per session and all of us then were like WOW.

in the end, she also gave up latching / bf as soon as she went back to work.

my output was only 20-30ml at the start after latching and i *think* the total output for my first day at work away from the boys was only 450-500ml... for the whole day leh.

i latched and expressed for C1 up to 14mo till i was preg w C2 (C1 started to spit out my boob... hey i din even know i ws preg then, i thot he was self weaning) and for C2, up to this Jan. so 21mo.

i operate on this principle that some BM is better than no BM, and it is possible to learn to latch again with a good LC after a couple of months of mommy giving EBM exclusively instead of latching...

anyway dear, you hv my number. sms or call if anything you hear sounds too good to be true, or too interesting to be true. haha.

abt the man.... i have accepted that in terms of child rearing, moms will always shoulder more resptys than dads.

well... until the next time Mr C steps on my tail, that is.... :p

.... sigh. the ILs are here AGAIN in August.

sleep arrangements

i have finally moved C2 back into our bedroom sleep with us (Mr C, C1 and myself). so all 4 of us are in the same room now for the 3rd night. quite a change for C2 who has been sleeping w maid since Mar 2011. that was to wean him off night feeds so that i can finally get some decent sleep to handle work instead of waking up every 3-4h.

Cellow - 500ml per session?!?!? Eyes popping out. Just reminded of the days when mil kept comparing my milk supply with another relative who gave birth 2 months after me. Kept telling me she's got so much that she can donate to hospital. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] I was so miserable then. And yes, no matter how little, just pump or latch on. Something is better than nothing.

My boy's a classic example of latching on after 6 months. Refused my breast after 1st week and went on bottle. Then he rejected bottle at 6 months and it's latch on all the way till recently!

Sgsc - relax... relax... relax... And rest well specially when the cl is here.

Hj - mandeville and Yamaha came highly recommended by most friends too. The rivalry reminds me of man u and arsenal (or am I outdated? You're either in one camp or another. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hmm. My statement sounded too "good to be true". Shall rephrase. He rejected bottles only when I'm around. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] luckily he's all right with others feeding him. Otherwise... .... ....

chlosper

tat is wat it resemble in the shit lor.. i also dont knw wats tat.. looks like sesame n black fungus..

my boy hav been drinking so much til I a bit scare of his intake.. within an hr over 500ml dont giv also unable dont knw if its really true he hungry

rice also a lot. shit also a lot.

yesterday we finish our dinner walk off liao he still want more and eat til the whole bowl on his face. when home he ask for milk i give 180ml he said he want some more i make another 150ml,again he want.

Mummies: It is likely that I will need a c-sect for no. 2 (low-lying placenta again). Would the mummies who had a c-sect mind sharing their experiences? On average, how long did your wound take to heal? How long did it take before you could do your post-pregnancy massage and any issues with getting the wound wet when you bath?

Thanks in advance. Am trying to psyche and prepare myself as best as I can.

chlosper: how was the staccato class? where is it and is it by semester? i can only go till march so yamaha might not be a good option.

HJ: ditto re mandeville?

sgsc: yup, i total latch until started expressing and bottle feeding a bit at 6-7 weeks just to get him used to bottle. not very serious and he only learnt bottle feed from school. no need to pump if you are just in confinement and staying at home. if you latch on demand 24/7, there will be enough milk. prob is latching every 1-2 hours for a month lo. if you can tahan, then no need pump or power pump.

cellow: how come move back all in one room?

ming: i went both two c secs. both healed quite fast. just keep taking the painkillers they give and it hardly hurts. the first one slower cos it was emergency. second one was planned and i loved it. we planned it on the first day of the week, in the morning. so todM goes to sch in the morning, then granny picked her up to bring to hospital. and for the 3 days i was in hospital, she was in school in the day. only come and visit me 4+pm til 6+pm go home for bedtime routine. i was lucky for second one, gynae was different and much more careful so i could walk around by the next day. i didn't think it was much worse than vag birth and was quite relieved that wound was all wrapped up and didn't have to face it each time i needed to pee or poo. need more info, you have my number.

sgsc

pumping after latch stablises milk supply faster. if one is worried about supply & I always like to increase supply so that i can start storing a small stash before i go back to work. I will pump after latch - but if i am sleepy - i might not.

as long as i pump at least 3-5 times a day during the 1st few months, its fine for maintaining supply or increasing supply - depends what you want.

i choose to increase supply so i pumped at least 30 mins every 3 hrs during the day & every 5 hours at night. (esp in 1st 2 months & esp so for new mothers who need milk duct unclogging - so 2nd time bfing can also bear in mind this difference behave like new mother in 1st month perhaps & after that should be easier)

Maddie - I signed up for it. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] it's 45 mins class and about 10 lessons per term. They do allow us to join half way and fees are pro-rated. Makeup classes are allowed, or it'll be carried forward to the next term. Its at horsecity (you'll see real horses as you enter!) which is next to turf city at bukit timah. Fb'ed you some notes about my trial class.

i like maddie's way of bottle initially

cos i made the mistake with jie jie & once bf ok liao latch all the way until she cried like crazy when i went back to work.

pump out & bottle feed has some benefits too

1) more rest for the mother as i believe you are using a hard to suck bottle teat so that we reduce nipple rejection risk. so feeding is long!

2) u know how much baby is drinking - some peace of mind

3) it lets anxious grandparents feed & carry the child! (They might not ask but they are hoping to feed the baby)

its just weird that grandparents visit so often - my parents & i am stuck in my room latching? i want to spend time talking to my parents instead. or play with #1. so i let them bottle feed.

its not nice too always stuck in the room when inlaws come to see u during confinement. (unless u dont like them then its another story)

Maddie: I just secured a slot at Yamaha Hougang for the November intake for the Apples Course (11.15 a.m. for a 40 minute session). If you are looking at a weekend slot, call them now as they have just opened for registration and are limited to 8 slots only.

Payment has to be made every 3 months so I guess you can just stop accordingly when you need to move. The entire course is for one year in duration though. After that, the kids move on to Music Wonderland

Hmmm... but the Yamaha at Hougang is a franchisee so I am now wondering whether it is better to hold out for Yamaha at PS. The schedule for PS is not out yet though and the waitlist is much longer I assume...

Hi mommies,

Gosh, Mandeville is at united square and staccato is at horse city, both so far from my place!

Hi Juye,

U asked a very good question leh! I also don't know how if our gals want to pee while in the car or at a place with no clean toilet??? So what I do is to get my gal to pee before leaving the house and let her wear pull-up diaper pants.

Ruru - there's a Yamaha music school at Clementi. That's the nearest I believe. But I'm not sure if it's a franchise. Friends usually recommend plaza singapura branch.

Hj - I believe both are structured classes whereby the kids follow certain syllabus. And hence you can't join midway. Like kindergarten, they'll proceed to the next stage after a certain time. Priority is given to the kids who started early.

Maylene - it depends on what you want to do. At this age, most courses available are geared towards music exposure and less technical. Mandeville and yamaha I believe prepares toddlers for the foundation classes. And yes, some like staccto and kindermusik have classes for infants too!

Good morning Mommies! today i am early...heehee

I guess as long as can afford and have the time, at what age is not a problem. I agree is a lot to do with exposure. My daughter is at home with maid everyday just watching tv. Now seeing and hearing what the mommies here have planned for your children really stressed me. But my work requires me to work on weekends most times and I work late everyday.... make me feel guilty that my daughter lose out on the exposure....sob sob

Maylene

id u can - u should cut tv to only 30 mins morniong 30 mins pm at most 1 hr each session.

TV is very good it shuts up the kid & no need look after, 2nd best to "poisioning" the kid with cough mixture - child sleep dont bother the maid.

TV if too many hours will dull the brain - not i say - but alot of websites advorcating parenting tips will say this.

alot of us parents look dor full day childcare who dont give tv. mine gives tv only at the end of the day 5-6pm onwards - its just to facilitate the teachers some who report early going home so short man power & some kids going back already - also lesser students from diff age groups & end of the day the children already cannot absorb much & waiting for parents to come & pick them - not condusive to do any activity so they switch on the tv.

i know my maid also switch on the tv for my kids - my mil cannot stand it & KEPT the remote controls. its to this extend - the maids will even LIE about not letting them watch tv - i know cos i am watching her thru viewcam via 3G on my iphone & she can LIE IN FRONT OF ME when the tv is ON that its off or just swtich on only when i have watched my kid glued to the tv for the past 2 hrs.

tv dulls the brain - makes the child less curious to learn. - i dont think we want that. not at this tender age anyway as habits formed now might stick for a very long time.

its why even thoughr sending kids to school increased risk of falling sick - i rather that than to have my kids at home baby sit by the tv.

Maylene

hope u dont mind me above or get offended. i rather offend & say the positive things which one might not like to hear than to just smile & ignore.

its more efforts to type a long email & actually easier to ignore - if u get what i mean.

Marylene - don't be stressed out. It's really up to individuals what they want their kids to do. My motto is he must enjoy the class. There are lots of activities that can be done at home too. Playing different genres of music on the cd player, shaking to the rhythm (get two small containers that he can hold and fill some rice - you have a shaker!), singing with him (helper can help), etc.

Just wondering. Now that it's Olympics season, maybe it's good to watch some sports on tv instead of the usual stuff if you need a tv nanny.

Sometimes we need activities for the kids so that we

Adults can take a breather.

marylene,

don't stress. my 2 are nuaing at home after cc. my 4 year old just started his first enrichment class (violin) in june. my 2 year old still playing at home.

now i don't on tv for them during dinner time. no tv when they come back, bathe and play while waiting for dinner. tv is on only after dinner time. this was practice a few months back cos they take super slow to eat their dinner, so we cut it off. face a lot of resistence but now they are ok liao cos it becomes a routine for them.

Maylene: how about sending her to playgroup or childcare? alternative is to get maid to do stuff with her tho i think it is really hard to expect the maid to be an effective childcare teacher as well. my hb will say 'if she so clever, she will be working as a *** earning $$$ instead of doing our sai kang at home'.

i also restrict TV to 30 min at a go per day (esp weekdays) and def not during mealtimes.

so far no 'enrichment' classes tho am considering music.

Mommies, tks for sharing [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] ...I dun dd feed esp at nite where the CL will make FM whilst I Only wakie to pump once. Day time I try latch as much as poss but bb keeps sleepIng then wen she latch one side other breast leaks then she falls asleep. So to prevent engorgement, I go pump then she stirs again.. Sigh.. Understd nb is like tat so jus trying to build a routine so I dun engorge yet can dd feed her each time.

Cellow- u let maid zzz wif C2? R they super close? Not sure if we wanna follow tat as hb has bunked in to zzz wif jiejie in another room till she learns to zz alone but tat means we will be zz apart wif one gal each till dunno wen... N tats not very ideal lei..

Chlosper- ur son stopped latching recently issit coz...:p

Vicma- I will prob adopt ur mtd to pump aft latch once CL leaves. Nw she keeps asking if my breasts r hard, feel full or make comments tat bb stil hungry aft latching, bb not dtinking enuf la, bm so thin not creamy etc.. Very irritating. Imagine I pump aft latch wif tat v pathetic qty, she sure make more unconstructive comments which irritates mi to max. Sometimes I will ans her rudely n look at her blankly ask her yah then hw? Since its her job to ensure I eat n rest well to have gd qlty bm rite?

Sorry for ranting but the weather n cOnfinemrnt woes n rashes is making mi frustrated. Arrgh!! So blardy hot n I need on fan n Aircon to cool mi down yet stil got rashes.

Also is outside wind worse than fan blowing at us? My CL says yes whilst the massage lady says otherwise.. Am confused =_="

SGSC

foremilk & hind milk - pumping also released the foremilk & leads to the hind milk faster - foremilk sure runny & not creamy one mah. she dont know want to tell u so much. u should pump now when she is arond to look after the child.

why immed after latching cos u can clear & let Breast build up fresh supplies before the next feed.

& also cos bb is sleeping = you are free to pump.

i still have power pumping method if want i can email u but drop me a pm for me to sent to u.

fan vs aircon

i prefer Aircon not too cold & the fan of the aircon not directly blowing on your or baby's body.

if u bath or baby bath best dry up quickily - i even use hair drier to dry hair & body then continue to stay in aircon room.

Sgsc - cool down. *sends some cool dry air over*. Don't think so much about the milk quantity. Just do your best. I recalled I've managed to squeeze out less than 5ml the first time!!! But I just continued. Kept pumping (baby rejected nipple) and tried. I did supplement with formulae though. Some bm is better than no bm. Keep it up!

Sgsc - hahaha. Stopped latching by sending him to his own room and resisting the temptation to pacify him by latching on. Very tough.

Maddie and all - its been nearly a week and yes he's sleeping in his own. He did wake up but at least there's a routine (about 530am) and probably he's hungry. No more excuses from helper that she's "tired".

sg_sc,

jia you. 1 ml of bm is still better then zero. don't give up. try to stay in air con (not super cold, temp around 25 if you can, if not 24) instead of having fan.

Back