(2010/04) April 2010 mtb

Hi All,

I just took the plunge and have asked to extend my maternity leave by another 3 months. Thankfully the boss was pretty supportive. Hopefully I can use the extra time to really bond with both kids [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Xlh, Where in the west do u stay? My pth is not bad and she's on the lookout for another job assignment. But she charges $55/hr.

Mommies!!!!

I called the school teacher to inform her that my gal will go diaperless on Monday. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow!

Maylene: Yes. 3 more months in addition to my 16 weeks of maternity leave. I will be taking 1 month of paid leave and 2 months of unpaid. That should leave me with another 14 days of leave for next year when I return to work in May. My team is much larger now than when I had no. 1 so I don't feel bad about taking more time off. When I had no. 1, I took my 16 weeks of maternity leave and then 2 months of half days (by clearing my annual leave). Bad idea as I ended up working full days on quite a number of days.

Congrats SGSC for your no.2!!! Moo Moo ok!

Congrats Ming!!! Excited to see our mummies having no.2!!!

Mummies, long time no log in cause of overwhelming workload [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Cant wait to get out of this company!!! How's everyone (kids and mum?)

J is very naughty now, likes to bite when someone irritates him! Tsk tsk.. don't know where the biting came from so now I just have to use "guanyin blossom finger" to stop his biting acts.

Went W.C Park ytd and realised that it is so fun!!! Should organise a picnic gatherng for our forum lah! The kiddos can go fly kites or play at the playground with the daddies if possible while the mum can sit down on the picnic mat and munch! Muahaha..

ming

its so nice to spend more time with baby.

for me i cannot wait to go back to work!

i might kill the maid or someone at home if i stayed home too long.

i went abck to work in the 3rd month but i had perm 3-4 day weeks for a good long time

Dear mummies,

My boy got UTI when he was 5 mths old. He's 2 yr and 4mth old now. PD advise to pull back his foreskin to wash his penis as there's a red streak of blood there. Is it advisable to do so? Thought this will cause more infection? Do you do this for your sons during every shower?

He complain of pain when I pull back to wash for the 2nd day yesterday. My poor boy...

sgsc,

how are you? is mimi coping well w #2's appearance in her life? for that matter, are you and hb coping ok with 2?

dun worry abt the sleeping arrangement, just do what feels right at that time. Mr C and I have slept w C1 since birth. And then I nursed C2 at night from birth so he slept between Mr C and I. Since Mar 2011, C2 had been sleeping w maid and we recently moved him back into our room.

movenpick

I do not pull back the foreskin to wash after every shower... but called my PD on your behalf. Usually they will ask for your boy to go in, and test for blood in urine, then prescribe antibiotics to clear it up. In general, keeping the penis clean is a good hygience practice... maybe now tis painful, so he is resisting when you want to wash for him.

staying at home

i sometimes dream of it. AND i also know it is not possible for me to be patient w the boys [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] if i m with them 24/7. yes they are my boys, yes i love them dearly, no i do not want to spend all my time with them. i believe i m doing a good job of giving the boys both roots and wings... to fly off when they are ready.... and provide a base for them to come home to.

different w newborns who need constant attention. sometimes i think human babies are really amazing.... the changes in C2 from birth to a walking, (sort of) talking being.

ming,

i took 16 weeks for C2, totally no contact w office re work at all. it will be an amazing wonderful fantastic time of introducing meimei to the world and the rest of the family. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] enjoy!

I love to smell newborns' heads. haha!

orangey,

eh what is guanyin blossom finger?

rurucat,

how? did H go diaperless successfully ystday in school? jiayou!

Morning ladies

Ming, sounds like fun! it is easier to go back to work after 6 months cos less intense breastfeeding by then. How's the maid hunt coming along? i went back after 4 calender months, added a bit of AL after that. but initial period return to work, i took quite a bit of half days. and am still part time now, so get to spend a bit more time with the kids on some days.

Orangey: what is WC park??

Cellow: how's the adjustment to the new school? it must be good to drop off both at one place. am still going to two places and tho its actually quite near, it takes me half an hour just to drop off and pick up each time.

Ruru: how was diaperless day 1? we are currently day 5 of potty training. took the opportunity to keep M at home since my mom is in town. only yesterday she peed once and this morning once (big HURRAY!). PLENTY of accidents but we have persisted mainly cos of your sharing your potty training success. just last night i was telling my hb that ppl DO do it even when child goes to full day CC and can go to school diaperless some more. anyway mom leaving tomorrow, so its back to diapers in day. my maid wipe up the accidents until face black black already. haha..

SGSC: how's adjusting to having two??

Maddie: any interesting things u did in hunter valley? Planning the trip now ..any strawberry farms or pony rides around?

Tks ..

movenpick,

#1 was down with UTI at 2 months old. after thorough check and lots of scans and check, he was discharged from all the check at 1 year+ bah. i never really do special cleaning for him. there are about 2 occasions that he complain pain then we brought him to pd, given some solution to clean then ok liao.

maddie,

ahahhaha. i forgot to add. C1 and C2 are only going to the new school wef 1 Jan 2013. so next year. not immediately.. they do not allow for half way chop into class during term time. plus C1 is looking fwd to his year end concert during Nov. maid also on home leave in dec... so might as well leave C1 in childcare first till end of 2012.

i cannot (okok, m unwilling to) look after both boys myself during the day when maid is on home leave. pengsan first.

#1 is having tummy aches with augmentine for tonsil inflamation.

only after milo & some wind medication did she managed to stop whining & crying & sleep.

distruped a good 2 hrs of our sleep last night.

Vic ma .. Augmenting can cause stomach pains .. And even diarrhea .. Keep her hydrated and give probiotics or yoghurt to help the gut

Hi Maddie and Cellow,

Only started diaperless today. I just called her form teacher, so far do good, no accidents and she is able to cue the teacher when she wants to pass urine. Hopefully she can keep this up!

Hi Maddie,

Yes, the 1st few days of training were very intense. I can go thru' 4 changes of shorts within 2hrs as my gal peed alot after her porridge dinner. U will be assaulted with self-doubt wondering if u are rushing your child when he/she is not ready to be toilet-trained? It is very strange but for my gal she just transit from know/don't know to know stage suddenly!

Do perserve and you will see result v soon!

Hi Vic Ma,

My 9-mth old son had bad diahorrea when he took augmentin the other time for his cough. Give ur darling some probiotics and lots of kisses and hugs and promise her lots of sweets after she gets well!

Hi Maddie,

After you potty-trained your gal, the next stage is to decide when to move on to the toilet-bowl as our darlings have to get used to it in the cc as well. I bought a Minnie mouse toilet bowl potty seat for my gal and let her sit on it during the transition from potty to toilet bowl and bring it out for her use during the weekend as well.

HJ, RURU

thanks so much - i know it causes tummy discomfort but to have a yelling child - it was the 1st time last night.

i gave her a med the GP gave before for wind - i forgot the name starting with C.

probabily will make her take more water too.

i had to sit with her in the toilet last night & hold her when she was in pain before bed time - my poor baby.

HJ: we only went to the HV gardens, the highlight of which is the story book garden. a lot of photo opportunities there so worth a trip. never really searched about other things cos M too young for horses. but plenty of brochures at the lodge for things to do. got hot air balloon, pony rides… didn't notice strawberry farm. not sure if in season. grape vines all dead nothing to see also. there were a bunch of kangaroos near the cheese factory can drive there in the evenings to see. spent two nights only. went to 8 vineyards! =)

Ruru: she was dry all morning today! yay… yup, last night she was wetting her pants every 15 minutes, 4x in a row. then finally before bedtime she got the hang of it.

vic ma: hugs.. hope she's feeling better. take with probiotics and after meals

i have something to ask the ladies here.

how to explain to your kids mensus.

i totally forgot & went to bath one day when #1 was sitting on her throne bombing timbucktu.

she saw plenty of blood (sorry gross) then asked me what happened.

i really didnt know how to explain to her.

just 2 months back i think she was on kalcid & kena UTI after 2 bottle dose cos my regular GP was not around.

after that i really SWEAR never to go to the GP for the kids if my regular GP not around - the price i have to pay for after that prolonged sickness. I was telling myself i rather just have promethazine & leftose & just make her drink alot of water at home for cough lor.

& the fever was mild some more.

Hi Vic Ma,

Menses topic - wah, that is a tough one. Maybe tell her that the blood is a woman's body by-product that happens once a month and then change the topic as don't want to freak our gal out?

Hi Maddie,

Congrats and a pat on the back for a job well done! Diaperless day here we come!!

Cellow,

Guanyin blossom finger - u use your thumb and third finger and tiak them on the hand! Hahah.. It's quite painful for our kiddos but better than caning them lah. I tiak J on his cheeks when he tries to bite. Evil mum! :p

Maddie,

West Coast park ahaha I lazy to type out in full. Generally I think WC park suits all ages lah. From infant - big adults like us! Alot of Jap and Ang moh also.. the playground quite educational also!

Anyone saw the news on how competitive phase 2C balloting for next year's primary one balloting has become? 180 applicants for 59 places at Nan Chiau Primary in Seng Kang! And that is not even one of your traditional brand name schools right? Scary.

Afternoon Mummies!!!

Vic ma: my SIL was asking me this quesntion abt menses too last week...

she bathe with her girl and she juz given birth and started her first menses again... and her girl was "wahhh !!! mummy !! ubleeding!!! you ok??? etc etc," a big response and she dun know how to explain too....

Hi Ming,

Yes, I read the news in the straits times. I totally identify with the situation! I have until next year end to decide whether I want to try to get a place for my gal in nan Hua in clementi via the grassroots route. Now the situation is you are just guaranteed a chance to ballot at phase 2b only (assuming you stay within 1km). Haiz...

Hi Cellow, Maddie - surprisingly Mimi is stil v intrigued by mm's existence n she always acts v lovey dovey wif mm by patting her body, kissing her face n hugging mm etc.. Hope they stay tis way! As for maid wif mimi, hb prefers to be the one zzz wif her than the maid. Well TBD again wen the time reallicomes. For now things r stil v manageable coz CL ard.. Can't say the same end mth though...but being a second time mum does help somehow.. Not so lOst [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Maddie- yay! Efforts paid off.. Clever toddM.

Rurucat- U're on ur way there too.. Jia you! I'm definitely relying on her sch to toilet train Mimi next time heee

Tks Orangey!! Hw have u been? Lol at ur guanyin finger.. Prob he learnt frm schmates..so wen is J expecting a sibling? :p

Had a rough day so far.. Had eye infection dunno y.. Cant open left eye.. N My avent dual pump died on mi last nite.. Svc centre supposed to replace new set for mi b4 i gave birth coz the one tat died on mi was actually their loan set. Can u imagine, both brand new sets n loan set CMI. Called hotline but Manila Svc centre down coz of typhoon ask mi call back fri!!! I Spoke to their mgr n they immed delivered A so called 'newly 'replaced motor which looks used n delivered in a plastic bag. Doubt tis can last long too..imagine paying half a k for a second hand motor??!! Sigh.. Tot of kicking a fuss but all I wAnted was to express my milk ASAP.

R Avent pumps tat nOn-durable?

celynlee,

My boy case is like yours. 2mth diagnosed. then now just checking at KKH. have u done the DSMA scan? the scan that requires fasting and sedative.

Sgsc: hugs. U got your pump already? I'm still using my medela Pisa from M time. I would totally freak out if it breaks down!!

Ruru: to follow up on diaper less days. Sent M to school with diaper n she came home without! I didn't even realize it until she wanted to pee at home. Thank god she didn't pee in my car seat. Horrors!!

Hi Maddie,

So amazing right? Once they get it, they get it! Now u don't even need to toilet bowl train your gal as she might be going to the toilet herself in cc already! Hurray!

I'm kind of weird, my son himself dont wan diaper yetvi insist of wearing it for him. Maybe I'm the one not prepared yet.

Ruru: yah. Now not sure how to go out gaigai. Can do without diaper? We haven't sorted out toilet bowl yet. Last night she didn't want to wear diaper to sleep. Lucky managed to persuade her.

Chips: take out lo. Your boy quite mature la. Just néed to prepare to wipe floor for a few days.

morning peeps

wow toilet training is successful for Maddie's M and Ruru's H. just... wow.

C2 doesnt know how to pee in toilet bowl. he needs to stand in the bathroom to pee. today he had a toilet training milestone.... he sat on the toilet bowl to poo! phweet-phweet.

*cellow dreams of the day when the house is free of diapers*

example of mummies being more efficient than daddies

I woke up at 645am today tog w C2. walked a few blocks to pass NDP ticket to my sister. placed an order on iherb for kids' sambucol. read dunno how many story books for 10mins with the boys. sat in C1's pretend boat while he captained the boat with me and C2 in tow.

.... and then Mr C woke up at 9am.

I wish I wish I was able to sleep liddat. but nooooooo.... once either boy wakes up, I am up and about.

Am at work now. Accounts submission deadline is today. Mr C took the boys downstairs to the beach to play with their kick scooters.

sgsc,

hugs... rough day indeed!

eye infection... try dripping some of your own breast milk into your eye.

pump break down. i thought avent was quite ok... hmm.... first time i hear of avent breaking down. my trusty Medela freestyle, bought in Jun 2009, is still going strong. now SIL is using it. apparently the Ameda Lactaline is also quite long lasting.

mummies... anyone been to Maldives with their toddlers before? I'm keen on going to Maldives but worried about the speedboat ride.. not sure if 2.5 yrs old toddler can take it?

janet,

yes, we did all the test and scans for kidney, scarring, whatever they want us to do. DMSA is the one that need to put colouring inside to check flow of urine right? we manage to do it without sedative. we keep him awake till then, he becomes super sleepy and sleep through the process without moving.

chips,

if he don't it, maybe he is ready to go diaper free at least in the day. then you can save $$. night time might take a while to train but can be done too.

sg_sc,

i will cry big time if my pump die on me too. avent is working well for me. my breast don't like medela, can't get milk out.

maddie,

yes, you can still go gai gai without but bring extra clothes to change. if she has been drinking water, remember to keep asking her if she needs to go pee. also be prepare to run to a toilet the moment she say yes. cos they are not good at telling you how urgent they are in the beginning. hubby do a lot of running in the beginning stage when yu ze was diaper free.

cellow,

yu xi refuse to be toilet train. everytime i ask her to go toilet to pee, she will say no and shake her head.

you are a good mummy and wife, i won't allow hubby to sleep while i handle the kids myself. he must be up to share the 'work' too.

Hi sgsc,

Oh dear, spoiled breast pump? That is one of the worst nightmare for a bf-ing mommy. I also experienced it with my Medela freestyle for my #2 and had to rush down to robinsons to get a new set as cannot order online and wait 3 weeks!!!

Hi Maddie,

My gal is still at the 'when you have to go, you have to go' stage. For outings, I will ask her to pass urine before we go out and let her wear disposable pull-up pants in the car (she had accidents on the bb car seat a few times). Then during the outing, I will let her cue me on her toilet needs and bring her to toilet as and when. Before going home, same thing, go toilet then wear the pull-up pants in the car. Btw, NTUC got offer for Pampers pull-up pants until next wed.

You need to get your gal used to the automatic flushing sound in the public toilet, or else there is resistance to using the toilet bowl. For me, I let her flush her own toilet after she finished her pee/poo and gave her some treats during the few initial public toilet trips.

Hi Cellow,

Do so many things from 6.45am and then it is only 9am??? You ARE efficient! Yah, we women are multi-taskers alright. My hubby don't get it when I scold him for not cleaning up after my gal when he plays with her. He will whine and say "you ask me to play with her what'. I told him if I behaved like him, I will have to do housework chores with my maid until 12 midnight every day liao. BTH!

Woman roars! Especially mommies!

MOrning mummies~

Toilet train : My boy started to reject diaper, and sometimes when he is off diaper, i train him to use a potty instead, he will sit there very long, then got up and pee at the window zzzzzz

Mummies: do u complain to the CC if ur kid come home with bruises???

few weeks ago my #1 came home with lips bruise and some bleeding and i feedback to the teacher and no one saw him fell or cry.... my boy skin are thick, he dun cry when he hurt himself. BUt arent the teacher suppoes to be looking after and supervise? I mean no one notice it and i was the one notice the bleeding when i bought him home

then 2 days ago, after the national day celebration, i bought him home, when i reach home, i notice his arms has 2 cane look alik marks... which i think maybe due to the flag they are waving?

and i asked the teacher today.... She told me maybe fall down in playground, but definetly not cane or flag (they kept the flag until they suppose to sing song)

and she told me my boy is hard to handle, dun wan listen, tell me go home muz displine etc etc else next time hard to listen...

previously last week during parents-teacher meeting, she was juz telling me my son know how to listen to instructions zzzz

and now i dun know i did the right thing to ask abt the cane alike marks or not, will teacher become bias abt my son?

what will u do if its in ur case? will u ask teacher abt the cane alike marks or u will keep quiet???

dawn,

i will ask and check what happen. if ever i discover things like that, first thing they do is say sorry and investigate and get back to me. i just need to know why. i don't blame them. after i find out why, i will just tell them. ok. never mind.

Morning ladies

more updates on diaperless days... in the end, we went out gai gai WITH diaper. luckily cos she wanted to poo and has never pooed in potty before. also cos we were going to someone's house for dinner and it was very crowded, we chickened out and went with diaper. so she happily peed in the diaper. my girl has too much stranger anxiety to have to deal with staying dry too. think she also very anxious about diaper and sometimes refuses to go without. short of holding her down and stripping the diaper off her body, we just go with the flow. but good news is that school is quite on about toilet training her too so will just sit back and let them do the hard work. hehe... Ruru: good idea about pull ups. you mean you wear it in the carpark??

celyn: M also was very resistant to doing it in the potty. but one day when grandma was around i told her she gets to stay at home and play cos she has to learn to pee in potty. so after 5 days of peeing in her pants (literally), she finally did it in the potty. showing her what she would get IF she pees in potty helped too cos she really wanted the stickers.

cellow: yay to C2's poo! as for women being more efficient, i must confess it is my hb that wakes up to play with M when she gets up, whatever the time of the night. today it was 545am. he will make her milk, change her diaper, and even bring her out to get breakfast for us too, on weekends. and i sleep until i really need to wake up on weekdays and sometimes sleep til didi wakes me up on weekends. =)

HJ: many of my friends have been to maldives with kids and lived to tell the tale. depends on the individual kid too tho... M is ok to get on the boat, tho she kept thinking she was falling down due to the rocking motion of the boat.

dawn: i would ask the teachers about the marks if i was concerned about it. usually they are apologetic about it. i don't believe any teacher in my CC would actually use a cane on her. tho she is able to tell me what happened to her, usually some other kid poke her/pinch her/etc. hard for teachers to completely prevent. when i'm home with two kids, also i cannot prevent M from hurting didi at times. and that is a hawk-mommy 1:2 ratio.

celynlee & Maddie: yes i only wanna ask why....

they are not apologetic at all, i would say they are very defensive, nv aplogized at all...

1st time: straight say they nv saw him fall or cry etc... keepstress nv fall ...

I told them, i only concern if he hurt his nose coz previously he hurt his nose before, so ask the teacher go ask around again, then she call back to say no one say him fall... i rest the case as i know my son active, kids fall bo bian...

today , i asked teacher abt it, after she stress no cane and no flag to play etc then she faster change topic say my boy very hard to control and dun listen to instructions sometimes ...

I know they will not use a cane, and i know cannot stop a kid from getting hurt, its hard to prevent...

I juz need to know why, I dun blame them .... but rather than investigate, they straight tell me "no cane, no flag to play, maybe fall from playground, + my son dun listen to instruction, go home muz displine... "

this give me an impression that they will have a bad impression for my son.... or am i too paranoid....

BTW side track: Will u all be buying teacher day present for teacher????

and what present will u buy?? My Sil say its impt to "bribe " the teacher

maddie,

i don't have a potty and not intending to get 1 to start with. if ever i start toilet training, it will be real toilet training and not potty.

i like your hawk mommy. hahha.... its really not easy for cc teachers to handle so many.

Back