(2009/11) November 2009 MTB

Hi Sporty,
8pm is brutal! HUGss...besides tireness, i really can't imagine you having to juggle with both kids after work! you are amazing! I really have a lot of respect for you and all working mums, it is just so little time after work and you all are managing so well.

Angeline,
Now my kaely is taking one meal of porridge only...so i only make one time during late afternoon.

Of course, if she is taking 2 meals of porridge, i will double that rice amt when cooking and keep a portion in fridge and reheat during evening. I bought corningware super small pot, 2 of them, each set comes with a glass cover and a plastic cover that can seal the pot if i place into fridge...sorry i cannot find the picture on web to show you....

But what i meant is, i will only make plain porridge and add the ingredients only when she is about to eat. Got it? I didn't want to make a single pot and having to eat same thing on a day for her.

Example:
Chicken porridge for lunch
i will heat the porridge using a very cute and tiny corning ware pot on stove, throw in my cubes of veg and mince chicken meat, boil and stir till cooked.

Fish porridge for dinner
Same thing as above, heat my pot on stove and throw in fish slices and veggies.

I brought the super tiny corningware ceramic pot, which is so useful to cook just a portion on stove for baby, i got it from metro.

Hope this information helps!!

cljl,
I will defrost my cubes in fridge the night before and if its meant for cereal, i will warm the cube in my warmer that i use for my breastmilk..if i cook with porridge, i just dump it in when the porridge is cook
happy.gif
Those veggies are puree state when i prepared, so its really easy to be heat up in any form.

Kimifin,
OK, i will say let's start with brocoli, this is super food for kids. What you need to do is,cut the floret, wash and soak it before cooking, boil it for 6-8mins, you can chose to blend in a blender to become puree, scoop it into ice cubes holder and freeze it up, i usually do this for a week.

The ice cubes is called baby cubes, i got it from States many years ago as i am doing it for my elder one, they do carry in singapore now.

http://mammabebe.com/baby-cubes/baby-cubes-by-petite-creations/prod_139.html

http://www.littlejetplane.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=175

I use it to store veggies puree or fruits puree such as apple or pear...etc. I only had the 1oz design and its very old, i think they have 2 oz design now!

Reenie>> I'm also using baby cubes to store my pureed food. Must say these are very useful! I have 4 trays of baby cubes cos' I have a wide variety of food for my baby in my freezer. And you're right, the design now is 2oz..they dun have the 1oz version anymore.

Kimifin>> For brocolli, apart from boiling, you can steam them too. Steaming helps to retain the nutrients better actually. I'm using the avent steamer-blender and it works very well for me.

Starrz, haha... i think all babies same lo.. now they now how to turn, they will keep on turning lo.. so fast can call papa.... i everyday tel her.. call mama! ahahaha...

Anastasia, oh.. then i must give her water by cup... n more porridge liao.. my MIL keep on saying beter dun eat too much this n that.. once her porridge was at 6.30pm n ard 9 she cry for hunger liao lo.... whow.. u all let ur bb cry! my MIL will say Y Y Y! then she carry her away liao lo.... just like now she wan to crawl everytime also wan to carry her.. haiz....
i also change my gal when she is standing, crawling and sittin lo.. as for diapers, my hubb stingy.. so bo pian gt to stick with the normal one instead of pull ups...

reenie, you mean u will steam all veg/ fruits then pureen it n store in bb cubes? then for porridge u will add the freeze cubes 1 hr after the porridge is cooked? i normally slow cook for 2 hrs...

if like tat, i might consider buying the bb cubes then give my mil.. but then.. i doubt she will use lo...

Anastasia,
Wow, u got so many! I only got 15 cubes, some thrown away...hahaaa.its really old!!! Now i have not gotten new ones. Anyway i am making fresh for her at times. Where did u got yours? from the online store i mentioned? Oh i am so in love with those cubes.

Oh yah, forget to mentioned the brocoli can steam too! hahahah..good point. I am so lazy these days, i will just boil all my stuffs at go one on a weekend.

Cljl>> You mean you are giving water in milk bottle? I think that is fine too. For me, my son was actually cup fed when he was a few weeks (cos at that time my milk supply not established, so we cup feed FM to avoid nipple confusion), and I find that now he has no problems taking fluids from cup..just that messy lah...cos of all the dribbling..He actually likes drinking from a cup too..very eager to drink more. Do be careful not to tilt the cup too much, but let your daughter take in the water herself..otherwise, can choke a little (which is also ok if it happens once a while, happened to mine too...)

Hee hee, my MIL also dun let baby cry..but me and hubbie dun care. Let him cry, dun always carry..let him fall down and knock himself (of course within safe surrounding) and get up himself..we're more the "let go" type..

My hubbie also dun believe in using pull-ups, but I insist..haha...so we have both types at home. Hubbie and helper use normal ones (since they somehow can manage), I not so professional at changing diaper so I use pull ups..hee hee..

Reenie>> Yes, I got them from the online bulk purchases. You can try checking whether there is any spree going on now. I think costs S$12 per tray..the mamalove store person has bluk purchases too..I'm in love with those cubes too...would like to have more trays (cos' I like to try different foods on my son, especially combination of food) but freezer no more space.. =(

You're like me...weekends spent pureeing away..haha..Have you tried fish on your baby? Mine has tried salmon with carrots, and he loves it. Infact, both me and hubbie like it too..very yummy..can spread on our sandwiches! Sweet potato and brocolli also very nice =)

Anastasia,
Yah, i am crazy over those cubes! I am so poor with joining bulk purchase, seriously i want more cubes. is there one gg on? i want it man...

Yup, i did fish, pork and chicken on her..hahaha..so far cod fish and thread fin. Salmon sounds good, i will try it out next time!

Kaely's fave is carrot, sweet potato, pumkin..brocoli, spinach...apple...

I spend like 2 hrs in kitchen on sunday! That's is crazy. I usually go to Sunday marketing with my hubby and that's why Sunday is my puree day.

Reenie>> You're in luck! There is a bulk purchase going on now:

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4113390.html?1276572442

My son doesn't really like cod fish..good for me too lah, cos' cod fish expensive..haha..

Your daughter's favourites are also my son's favourites, except for the spinach part..for brocolli, I need to "hide" it among sweet potato. My son likes green pea and corn too, but very tedious to puree these 2, cos' have to remove the husks therefter through a sieve..fruits wise, he likes apples, pears, dried apricot (super sweet treat for him) and papaya.

My girl seem to be a very picky eater. She gives me a face when I gave her apple, sweet potato, potato and pear. She only like the butterscotch pumpkin. lol...

Paperger85>> Sometimes, you need to try a few more times before really knowing whether your girl likes / dislikes the food. My son gives me a face (kinda like srunched up, "sour-looking" face) when I give him new food..but after a few tries, he's ok. You can try a few days later. If you want her to have these foods which you suspect she may not like, you can try to camouflage them with those she likes..for instance, butterscotch and pear..quite a nice combination I think..sounds weird, but is quite tasty..

Anastasia,
hahahaa..ok, so i am in luck man! Thank you.
Oh, i couldn't get threadfin the other day so i try cod on her, so far so good! Yah its really expensive, i will try to save myself to feed them better food..hahahha..

Hey, Kaely loves brocoli! She actually finishes her veggies more than her carbo. Oh i love peas, i have not done so for her. I tried corn, its not a easy job to puree that.

Paperger,
Sometimes the apple could be abit too sourish for them to like it, my girl also did not like apple straightaway unless i give it with cereal.

Paperger>> To add on to reenie's comments, I get my apples from NTUC. I buy the organic ones (not for organic purpose, but because I find that those seem to be sweeter), one pack of maybe 7 or 8 apples costs about $3 to $4 I think..from New Zealand..

Anastasia - The NTUC near my place very small so they don't really stock up on organic produce.

BTW mummies, do you buy only organic produce for you babies?

Anastasia, ya.. those super small bottle lo.. so that got no milk taste.. she dont want to latch on after she com out frm hospital lo.. 1 day onli once lo.. haiz.. 4 wks ltr mi FT pump liao...

hahaha... hw i wish i can use pull-ups.. have a few sample one at hm.. thats for my own use when i bring her out! hehehee....

is it ok if we buy those pre-pureen one then feed as 1 meal?

Anastasia,
Yup! u bet.

Paperger,
I dun go for organic product, only cereal and some other stuffs if they are really good and easy for me to get. I make sure i wash normal produce thoroughly even though they aren't organic. Sometimes organic produce is not easy to be found and they are pricey, if flown in from other countries, the produce sometimes does not look good after a long journey. I prefer to get local produce, which is fresh and good.

Paperger>> The organic apples that Reenie and I buy are found among the normal fruits..not under the organic section.

The apples are the only organic products my son has taken so far =)

Cljl>> I'm worse...3 weeks old I full time pump liao. But mine was a personal decision lah, no cos my son dun want to latch.

Yes, it's ok to use those commercial pureed jar food, but depending on your baby's appetite, may or may not be sufficient as one meal. Also, baby may get sick of the same taste fast (my son is like that), so I suggest you spoon probably half the jar into a bowl to feed, see how your baby takes it..whether want more or not. For full meal, best to have either porridge / cereal (just like we adults have rice as staple food) cos baby needs the carbo and iron..

anastasia, haiz.... duno isit my nipple too small or her mouth too small! ahahaha.... she just cant suck! ahahahaa..... n mine also inverted.. so sian...

oh.. so i can feed them the jar then after that wif porridge?

for porridge so far, i only use meat as flavoring n spinach only leh.. feel so boring.. any other things to add... now she cant take broccoli...

cljl,
you can add in a variety of food in porridge, sweet potato, pumpkin, potato, carrot, spinach.

i remember feeding my girl from jar directly once when we go zoo for outing, so she have her cereal and jar food outside. u can feed straight from jar or spoon half out and keep the remaining in fridge...

Cljl>> Dun fret too much about latching your baby. You've already done a fantastic job in breastfeeding (be it direct or indirect) for so long!

If your baby never tried that particular flavour of commercial food before, best to feed by itself..then you can assess baby reaction to the taste mah..if feed with porridge, the taste may be "masked". Whether you feed the commercial food (by itself) before or after porridge is up to your personal preference..if baby is very hungry, then suggest feed porridge first (I'm assuming your baby tried porridge before)..if not baby too hungry, may react adversely to new food..

For porridge, you can add fish, sweet potato, pumpkin, corn, cauliflower, carrot...alot of food actually..you can be creative and just experiment...dun need to be too worried that baby dun like..just try..you will be able to come up with some combo that your baby likes! =)

cljl,
from your schedule. I feel that the naps in the morning are too long and close together and the stretch from 3-10pm too long and bb might be over tired liao.

I would suggest that first try to feed more solids. second, try to spread out the nap. Example, allow 2 - 3 hrs wake time, then take a nap.

re: freezer cubes. I have soooo many of them. Mine is the 1oz type from my #1 time. I think we have 6-8 trays altogether. We got them from littlejetplane. Its so convinient to blend in batch and freeze then each meal just choose a few different 'colours' to add to the porridge.

Talking about eating baby's food. I find Sol's porridge taste so good, I've been secretly cooking a little more on the weekends and eating his leftovers myself. Hee hee....

Anastasia, Sol menu for this week is corn & green peas too. But I never seive, just steamed and blended. He took them ok.

paperger85:
I do this everyday.. i will cook porridge with dry scallops(taste only) and pumkins mix everything once once n boiling, i immediately transfer out to thermal jar and bring to infant care for Tim's lunch.

reenie, so far to test her allergy carrot, sweet potato, potato and spinach is ok lo.. thats all.. any other food?

for potato, sweet potato, do u all boil till soft then add into the porridge to cook for 2 hrs?

ohh... that time i went zoo, cook porridge for her, then keep in to thermos too long then become watery n in e end she very hungry, i no choice buy kfc mashed potato for her lo..

anastasia, no la... im fine liao.. now jus FT pump onli lo.... coz it help me to lose wt fast ma.. thats y im determined to do it! hehehe...

oh.. now im still tasting her allergy leh... now i noe broccoli she cant...
pumpkin that time she took then ls for 2 wks... freak me out lo... mayb wil try pumpkin for her again....

but these r all orange food leh... i only limit 2 times a wk....

how u all cook the corn? mash it?

angeline, u mean i got to wake her up ah? duno y she slp alot in the morning also leh.... afternoon nap will be till 4pm then after that 8pm wil slp 15 mins then back to slp at 10.30pm....

think i better cook more porridge for her....

cljl: your baby cannot intake many vege? perhaps you may consider corn with lean meat porridge? The porridge must cook until very concentrate kind cannot watery..??

mandy, can can.... allergy test only spinach,carrot, potato, jap sweet potato pass only.. broccoli fail..... pumpkin need to try again...

whenever i cook porridge for her, i always have Ba Tau as flavorin lo... then e porridge will hv e meat taste plus veg lo....

yes.. my porridge is nt watery kind.. n she hates to eat watery one also....

angeline - hw u give the corn ar ? did u puree the corn as well? but the corn got the you know the covering you got remove them before you give them to sol ?

cljl: jap sweet potato is easy for baby to accept it.. perhaps you can try the one in orange skin instead of purple skin kind.. taste better in a way la..meat only for the taste yet it helps a lot on overall porridge..+))
chicken breast slice is good too.. but too much will get baby's phlegm out..=(

cljl,
its a vicious cycle, not enough sleep at nite, so sleep more during the day lor.

The reccomended sleep time for babies our age is 12 hrs at nite + 2.5 to 3 hr in the day. Some babies need a little more, some a little less.

For her early morning nap, I would propose you try to first let her play a little longer after her bathe. Maybe can try to take the morning nap at 9:30 instead of 8:30?

Then for this nap, let her take only 1 hr max. So she should wake at 10:30am.

from 10:30 to 12, play with her. Then give her lunch at 12. If you noticed that she gets too tired before the 12pm lunch, you can bring forward the lunch to 11:30 and feed her before letting her nap.

For the afternoon nap, its OK to sleep longer. So I think can let her auto wake up by herself. Seeing your routine, she will probably sleep 2 hours.

Assuming that she wakes at 2pm, you can keep her awake till 7pm and hopefully because she didn't sleep so much during the day, she will be able to sleep from 7 till 7 the next morning.

Oh yah, if you are going to try to put her to bed by 7pm, you will have to bring forward your dinner feed to about 5++.

hope the above makes sense to you.

mandy, i went to the market the guy gave me the purple one lo.. maybe will buy e orange one another time....
ya lo.. so e meat is juz for tasting only lo... do u mash the sweet potato into the porridge?

how about chicken bones only? for stock taste....

angeline, oh.. so i shld change her cycle liao lo... morning nap shld slp reduce.. u mean only can have 2.5 - 3 hr slp a day?

will drag her time after she wake up to drink n bathe lo.. after morning bath, she wil normally cry n wans to slp... 1 hr enough?

so u mean shld slp more in e afternoon then in e morning?

but the problem is by e time i reach hm frm my MIL place is already 8 plus... when she hear e door open, she will open her eyes n refuse to slp lo....

I see... you bringing bb back from MILs place, that's why BB sleep late.

I had the same problem with #1, that time also at MIL's place, so by the time reach home bathe change, she will sleep at 10pm too.

Total hrs to sleep for 7mth baby should be about 15hrs. If possible 12 hrs stretch at nite and 3 hrs in the day. But for your case, I guess have to tweak it a little.

If you can let her sleep at 9pm? Then till 7:30 is already 10.5 hrs stretch at nite. Day time nap try to limit to 4.5hrs.

I recommend
9:00 - 11:00 for morning nap (2 hrs)

2:00 - 4:00 for afternoon nap (2 hrs)

7:00 - 7:15 if she is very tired and needs to rest. If she is alert then can skip this.

Hopefully, if she can skip the evening short nap, she will be tired enough to want to sleep at 9pm.

If she sleeps longer stretches at nite, should be able to sleep less in the day.

chicken bone stock is good/..=) beef bones, pork rib bones.. good also.. but kind of many steps hehe..
i will put the sweet potatos with way cooking the porridge. You can see it kind of cook until mashed by itself then i start to stir the pot of porridge till the rice kind of become porridge.. Heee...

Just had an argument with my mum. She was cooking porridge for my baby and added in the black bean and pork rib soup (just the soup, not the beans or meat) into the porridge to cook. I quickly told her no cos I haven't test the black beans or pork for allergy yet. Also, today is only the 3rd day my baby tries pumpkin and I dun wanna introduce too many new food at one shot.

My mum got upset and started ranting that she used to do that for us and we were ok. She also says my aunts also do the same for their grandkids. I tried telling her my reasons but she thinks I'm just being difficult.

Mummies, do you think I am overreacting? Should I just close one eye and let my mum cook whatever she thinks is ok for my baby?

my girl follows what angeline:
I recommend
9:00 - 11:00 for morning nap (2 hrs)

2:00 - 4:00 for afternoon nap (2 hrs)

7:00 - 7:15 if she is very tired and needs to rest. If she is alert then can skip this.

my girl tends to take 2 naps for the day, and if on any particular day she went out or over-played and is very tired, she would take a quick 30 to 45 minute nap ard 7ish 8 to recharge.

usually y 930 - 10ish, she would be tired and ask for her last feed before she rests for the night

ashley: i won't say over-reacting but i won't get into an arguement with my mum. lk you, my mum and i always go thru the debate of 'she did it when we were young and we all grew up fine' versus what i call 'the modern day parenting' and we come to a compromise. i explain to her why i choose not to do certain things and when i rationalize with her, she lets go or rather let me do it my way. i am afterall the mummy.

ya lo.. no choice.. both of us working... by the time we reach hm, she open eyes will play somemore n then slp at 10pm...

oh.. 9pm.. gt to try lo.. but if her porridge is at 6.30pm, shld i still gif her milk? coz if she slp early n she dont drink means 1 day intake of milk is onli 400ml.... n solids onli 4 tablespoons... think the short nap will be frm my MIL to our hse lo...

mandy, oh ic.... bt all the bones need to get wash with hot water first before puting into the slow cooker rite? bt i tried to cut e carrot into cubes hor, its stil hard after 2 hrs of cooking in e slow cooker leh...

ashley, haiz.. it all happens.... my granny always ask me to put soya sauce into my gal porridge bt i insist! dun care.. let her go n say... i think allergy test is impt lo.... if nt bb suffer leh.... somemore its beans... think beans can only take after 9 mths?

adelynn, oh ic... then i gt to try when im hm lo.. coz if i tel my MIL, i duno what she will do lo.. haiz.. gt abit of communication problem wif her lo...

Ashley: =) I think it is inevitable to over-react, somedays i am like tat too. Coz it is our kids afterall..N our thinking differs. Try to explain to her slowly N tell her next time dun do it..Coz afterall, what has already been eaten is eaten..Pray pray pray all is ok..Juz remind her.. but yes. dun argue la..they oso poor thing coz thinking is outdated den own kids say them =) Jia youz =)

Ashley: oh for me, when it comes to my mil, i tell her wat to cook but end of the day the choice is hers if she dun listen. Coz what to do rite..if she give i oso dunno..not there to see..try lo..in a way think of it as..they oso love their grandkids la

clji: carrot i dun cut cubes lei since i want them to so called desolve in the porridge.. i cut thin slices.. =D
after 6 or 630pm porrige/ cereal.. onwards i will feed tim milk milk liao...hehehe

mandy, oh.. tot cubes easier to dissolve.. hahaha.. so u dun steam them or boil them before adding into slow cooker ah?
so fast u feed milk liao ah.. he must slp very early?

Ashley,
our parents' intention is gd but very hard for them to understand y we need to slowly introduce new food to our baby.. i got into conflict b4 too... intially they were quite skeptical abt my 'intro new food' rule.. but then, on several occassions, my boy really developed allergic reaction aft introducing new food to him.. they saw how quickly n accurately i was able to pinpoint the exact food allergy... then they quiet liao.. :p

now for my #2, i actually relax abit liao.. :p there are days when i may give her 2 new food.. but will still take note lor... juz got to keep my fingers crossed... :p

cljl,
if the dinner is at 6:30, you can give milk again before she sleep lor. Maybe give her the milk at 8:30 after you reach home and make it part of your bed time wind down routine.

<font color="119911">funne</font>, 31st jul kindermusik cum gathering at hillview u still coming? can pm sporty ur full name, bb dob, contact and email. thanks.

Cljl>> For me, I use chicken to make chicken stock, which I then use to cook the porridge. What I do is to cook a large amount of stock, store them in avent via cups and freeze them. As and when I need the stock, take out the night before to defrost. My son takes plain porridge (i.e. made with plain water), as well as those made with stock, so I alternate for him. But in terms of taste, the one made with stock certainly tastes better =)

As for vegetables, I dun cook together / dissolve in the porridge. Cos that would mean that you have to cook for quite a long time, during which alot of nutrients will be lost. I steam and puree the vegetables separately, freeze and store, heat them up in the food / bottle warmer, and add to porridge.

Back