(2009/09) September 2009 MTBs

hui chern

hang on there manz. Bopianz all are God’s will, see me, my hubby jobless, me single income now. Still have to move on.. although is #1,still have to struggle very much. Esp in Singapore hospital & gynea charges are not tat cheap either too..

Hope your #2 bb will bring more lights & luck & more wealth to both u & your hubby for better life.

Katherine

thanks, baby boy dust to you too la.

midori
thanks heee..

sandwich
me too will not having confinement lady lioa. But I really dare not to go to public hospital.. as am still suffer so much for my tis preggie, so worry things go wrong. For tat I cant compromise only. Others things like baby stuff accessories, i will see wat can cut down I cut down, like for example bottle sterlizer & etc..

i also mus ensure I recuperate my best of health before I get back to work. If sick & sick, afraid company might not want me anymore during tis bad economy downturn.

How u survive without breast pump when breast feeding ?

girlygirly
I got my bb gender scan at 16weeks leh.
My gynea stress to me 100% boy for my case at 16weeks.
B4 the scan, I oso prepare for the result of girl, the most try again..
Although now already know is a boy, its not a guaranteed too until bb delivered safely to this world.

itsy
yellow noodle tat wat my mum neighbour claim la, but ytd I jus had mee Rabus hehee :p

sheryn

I wish to WIN CAR! Any lobang now?

jul
thanks for ur bb boy dust too.

princessxiaomei
ya massage do help, u try sleeping at side la. Face facing left.
Ya bb are withdrawing calcium for mummy leh, at times I can feel my teeth& gum sudden got sharp pain without me eat or drinking anything, I jus request for calcium tablets recently since I cant take milk.

wow... so many $$-saving tips...

my #2 will be wearing clothes pass down from #1, hopefully can use her pram too.. but by the time #2 arrives, not sure if #1 can walk, she is 14 months old by then

i think breast pump is a must-buy for working mums... a few weeks after delivery, other than latching-on, i also started pumping to increase milk supply.

flora >

whoa.. that one tough eh.. stand there for many hours.. i relli dun thk can tahan.. somemore now preggies.. totally not possible..

flower4 >

u got driver's license ar?

girly,
your girls must be super excited whenever it's weekends cos they dun have to go tuition but get to go for family excursions instead! anyway, your eldest girl may be doing well in school cos like you said, she doesn't really have a phobia for studying. plus, no extra classes = more sleep = able to concentrate in school =) i hope my kids will all enjoy reading and learning when they get a bit older.

flower4,
all feeds during first two months are done through latching on, breast to bb directly. bb was actually hospitalized when he was 6-7 days old for jaundice, so i loaned the pump at the hospital to use (medela mini i still remember) but pumping was so terrible and stressful that i decided to latch on totally after i went home. started pumping out the day feeds (with avent UNO pump, then switched to avent manual pump) only when i returned to work after 3 months. but night feeds and weekends latched on again till he was 1year plus when i started introducing formula.

although breastfeeding is technically "free", pumping is a very expensive affair. gotta invest in a breast pump that you like (may take trial and error --> incur extra cost). then you'll have to get loads of other stuff to store your breastmilk. i expressed into avent 125ml bottles, and had to swop them with empty bottles at the bbsitter's place daily so means i had to get abt 15 such bottles cos when bb has not started solids yet, they drink a lot of milk. i went for a couple of office trips in 07/08, so means i had to freeze up super a lot of EBM in milk bags to ensure that there's no need for formula whenever i am away. milk bags are very expensive in my opinion, abt 50 cents per bag, and only usable once. tried to recycle my gerber milk bags, but they gave way by the second time. then have to buy containers to sort the milk nicely and to segregate from the rest of the freezer food. of course, i haven't counted in the extras like sterilizers, bottle warmers etc.

that's why latching on w/out pumping is the cheapest!

i heard it's good to read out loud to unborn bb and also aft their born.. dunno how true..

i watch news with the sound on loudly dunno if it's e same not.. haha

Sandwich,

since u r on the bf topic.. wanna check with u and all mummies, wat brand and type (manual/electronic) breastpump is the best? was at the taka bb fair on sat and the prices various with different brands.. of cos manual is cheaper lah... just wondering since some of u might have trial and tested... mayb u can give newbies like me some idea?

*flower4*

#4 already, can't afford to try anymore. money wise one thing, age wise another concern also...
juz hope im lucky like u and haf 'miracle' like mama to 6Js (since say miracle liao means didn't place high hope also)

*sandwich*

yes yes sleep is beri impt...bt most of times, excursion, farm trips, zoo trips etc those more time consuming and tiring activities haf to wait til the sch holidays. wkend will be like to the beaches, botanical garden, visiting grannies, looking for good food...,haha...the food wise more for the adults la
happy.gif

*waiwai*

wow ur kids such close age gap also. my #2 and #3 age gap is 16mths. when i delivered my #3, #2 juz started walking for a mth nia...bt my kids all slow when comes to walking, #1 and #3 at 17mths then know hw to walk and #2 slightly 'earlier' at 15mths old.

*milkway*

avent and medela....

*sandwich*

by the way, u know when we are in hospital after delivery, if we are nt breastfeeding our bb, the nurse will feed our bb with formula right?

u can actually tell the nurse to keep those glass bottles for u for storing the breast milk. I actually did that. The nurse actually are beri happy and willing to do that for me when they hear that it's for storing breast milk coz i was fr MT A and they haf always encourage breast feeding de...

girly
u v active yesterday huh cos for past few wks havent seen u here hehe...

been so busy whole of holidays cos my twins got rugby tournaments and mommy skin kena burnt under sun whole day! and the aunty me still using big big umbrella to shield myself hor! then #3 got shooting to do, not to mention gotta bring them to many many places that they been missing cos during school term they r so busy. everyday either meeting up their frds to watch movies, go indoor playgrounds, camping, play soccer, beach etc... aiyoh its really their holiday! e ven during sch holidays, mommy also cannot rest!

im not the kind who enjoy sports too though i used to play netball for school! haha... now i just too lazy to exercise but like what girly said, for the sake of the kids lor. i encourage the kids to be under the sun though, good for them leh. and my kids swim almost everyday, dun care its morn, noon evening or nite.

GIRLY
actually kids r very simple hor. we dun need expensive outings to make them happy. my kids also love foc places like goats farm, fish farm, camping at the beach, gg to parks. its the quality family life spent that money cant buy and i think u doing great job! if ur miracle son happens, he will be a very sporty boy! and daddy sure will enjoy playing ball outdoor with him.

got many things too write but i need to send the younger ones to school. my gal just started sch yesterday and morn wake up already bugging me to bring her to sch. catch u gals later!

girly,

avent is very ex rite? that's philips hor? saw the electric one cost abt 700 (i round up lah).... or r u refering to the manual pump?

mamato6Js,
sounds like you've had a good march school holidays =)

girly,
you can tell the hospital that you want to fully breastfeed, then they will stick a tag at the bb's cot saying that this is a fully breastfed bb. i took a couple of glass bottles back from the hospital. but i wasn't very comfortable with using glass bottles, cos i'm very clumsy. still preferred plastic bottles and milk bags when it's for storing milk. i have this impression that if i run for the bus, the glass bottles will shatter inside my fridge-to-go bag when it knocks against each other and against the ice blocks, hahaa.

milkyway,
really depends on individual. some people prefer automatic handsfree pumps because they pump while simultaneously reading the papers/using the computer/doing other stationary things. for me, i needed one that was ultra quiet, cos i pump at my office cubicle (using a shawl to cover up) hence avent manual was the most suitable for me. if you're purchasing one to use in the office, must ensure that it's not too heavy to lug around. cos you have to bring it to and fro the office, unless you get two pumps - one in office and one at home - so dun need to lug around. for me, i had two avent manual pumps. one in the office and one in at home for pumping out excess milk (in case bb doesn't empty the breast when latching on).

sandwich,

ok i'm currently doing some research on breastpump mah... and being newbie i really know nuts abt wat will b right for me... shall take ur comments in consideration.. and u really very stylo leh.. can pump at ur office cubicle.. haha.. i doubt i can do it.. my neighbour is a male!

Morning!

Cho, i find hot spring really very very hot ley.. think shld be more than 38 degree ba.. isiz ok for e bb? if its ok.. u can try to find online for those japanese inn.. some of them do hve private bath subjected to avalibilty.. then u can enjoy w ur husband
happy.gif
best to go when snowing! while enjoying hot bath.. see e snow outside..

Jul, my colleague with is 6 mths pregnant nw go out for lunch also take umbrella ley.. she say pregnant lady more prone to skin darkening etc.. so must use.. then i share w her haha

girly.. i hope i will be like you.. dun stress my kids next time.. but i scare i stress by others then i stress my kids also.. hehe i like to eat frog leg.. one day will bring my mummy along for e farm visit so that she can buy and cook for me! hahaha

Can I ask if anyone skipping FA after oscar results show everything is fine? i tot of skipping tt to save $$ but doc say go better.. and friend say no one skip FA one..

but i have another frien gynae at Mt E told her can skip FA ley..

milkyway.. i was using medela.. but it passed down from my sis.. so i dont know abt other brands.. saw at taka fair they have a package abt $270+.. includes cooler bag like not bad.. e avent package also $270+ but think it doesnt comes with a cooler bag..

milkyway
<blockquote>I'm also a newbie but some of my friends who bought the electric pump said the pump was too strong for them so they ended up buying another pump, a manual one. I'll prob just buy the manual pump, cheaper too.
happy.gif
</blockquote>

Experienced mommies,

Can I ask whether you use a steam sterilizer? Or do you just do the traditional method of dumping the bottles in hot water? If you use a steam sterilizer, is there any particular brand to look out for?

KAT
i always dun do FA when i was with my previous gynae. maybe thats why my #4 heart problem went undetected when i was preg with him. but i treat that as blessing in disguise cos if i had known it during pregnancy, i would be miserable for the next few mths. at leasy i got to enjoy him when preg then enjoyed him during his brief few mths of life.

but since i changed gynae for my #5, my gynae has a 4d scanning machine which is supposed to be v v good and clear. he merely did a scan of all my baby's vital organs. but he told me because of my history with #4, i can opt to go tmc to do a very detailed scan for a pc of mind. but i didnt choose to go because all my frds who are with him said no need, his machine good enough and his skills also excellent. so likewise for this baby, i dun think i will be gg. but oscar and FA are 2 different things leh. oscar is mainly for downsyndrome and NTD right. u cant tell whether baby's organs r fully developed not using oscar test.

Morning mummies

I also need info about pumps. Am thinking whether to get manual or electric pumps. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know where can i buy cheap maternity shorts to be worn at home?

Angeline Lee
<blockquote>I'm still using the normal FBT shorts that I wore before pregnancy. It's very stretchy and comfy. Now I just use it below tummy.
happy.gif
</blockquote>

mamato6s.. ya, tt's wat my gynae say too.. FA is for the organs.. but i'm surprised that my frien's gynae at Mt E told her can skip it..

yes, indeed its a blessing.. you've given him his best few months of his life..altot it's short, but i'm sure he enjoyed it as much as you do.. U're a strong woman..
happy.gif

katherine
thanks
happy.gif

i think its not compulsory, but its good to do it lor. for me its like buying a pc of mind. i heard the best place to do is TMC or NUH.

new MTB
i hv always used steam steriliser. for me is the convenience. but the avent steriliser gotta descale once every few mths

re breastpumps
Manual pump can be very tiring, though it's supposed to clear better. actually, different mums have their own preferences.

Used avent isis manual before, Didn't work well for me. Also tried out the medela mini electric (single and double). If getting electric, suggest to get a double coz when letdown occurs, both boobs will spray
happy.gif
So will have to have something on the other boob to collect milk if using a single pump. Hehe, for #1, asked hb to hold a bottle there to collect milk. Every drop is precious!
I ended up using a medela PIS and it's served me faithfully through my first 2 kiddos. Will use it again for #3
happy.gif

New mtb,

i was also thinking abt the same quesion on sterilizer... wonder if can use the old method hor.. then can save on buying a sterilizer...

think i will opt for manual pump too since it's cheaper.. now it's to decide which brand to buy lor

pumps:

manual ones can be very tiring on your hands. If you not sure whether u got enough breastmilk to breastfeed and don weant to waste money investing in a pump can loan a breastpump from the TMC parentcraft centre.

because my own experience is that i don have even bm, so i only pump for a while and then got to sell my breastpump away.

not to scare the New MTBs, most mothers have post natal depression due to insufficient bm.

ya.. i'm going NUH to do my FA in May.. it shld be cheaper
happy.gif

pumps: ya, heard that manual ones are very tiring..

insufficient bm: agreed w pepper that alot of mummies will get depress over insufficient bm.. and on top of tt.. u do not really get support from ur family.. they will keep telling u if dun hve milk then feed formula lo.. so u will get very fed up.. haha ya.. tt's me la.. my experience from my #1.. anyway i only feed for 1 mth cos my gal's jandice not recovering.. then doc did say it could be due to bm but it's actually not harmful. but my MIL is so worry abt the jandice that she kept nagging at me not to bf till i gave up..

but i told myself i am going to be very determine this time round. I want to bf at least for my 4 mths of ML.

actually, hvg a supportive family and a pro breastfeeding pd is essential for successful breastfeeding journey. i changed gynae and pd when i was preg with my gal. all my kids had jaundice at birth but only my gal was blessed not to need to be warded for phototherapy. her pd said that newborn jaundice is very common and as long as levels not high she didnt need to stay behind for photo therapy and even said its very cruel to separate a newborn from her mom. after that even when her jaundice did not clear after a mth she told me to continur breastfeeding n not to worry cos breastfeeding jaundice will go away. very encouraging pd.

i think i over panaroid over myself of weight gain till today i stil lhaven't gain any weight can't help worrying abt the little one.. haizzz weight myself everyday in the morning hopefully i putting on weight and hoping tummy get bigger each day... haizzz going crazy soon.. the next visit still have 2 more weeks to go... haizzz seem a very long long wait....

haiz... mamato6s.. u know la.. old folks.. sometimes they just dont care abt what the doc says.. the pd then already told her actually bm benefits is greater than e jandice harm.. but she still insist me to stop..

kiddo... u hvnt gain any at all? i think i've gain less than 1kg so far too.. but i'm not worried.. cos i know tt 2-3 more mths time to come.. u'll wish that ur weight gains slows down lo
happy.gif
as long as u're eating enough nutrients it'll be fine..

kiddo> I'm also a bit panaroid over my weight cos I actually lost abt 2kg during my 9th week of pregnacy due to MS. Furthermore, all along I'm underweight. Hopefully I will gain some weight on my next visit to my gynae.

Don't worry, hope our little ones are okay.
happy.gif

katherine

For me, I feel that if wanna skip, shd skip OSCAR &amp; do FA. Coz OSCAR is basically just a screening for DS, whereas the FS scan is on organs, fingers, toes, structural defects etc. Not to mention FA scan is 1/3 the price of the OSCAR!

milkyway,
i've ever expressed at meetings, on the bus, airplane etc. just have to be ultra discreet. it can be done ... after a lot of practice. sometimes, really have to choice what. your bb really needs to drink the milk, so have to find a way to express. the only place i will never express milk is in a toilet, cos i dun think it's right to "prepare" bb's food in a toilet.

new_MTB,
get a manual pump first is a good idea. then if you have a very good supply + plan to express for more than a few months, can always invest in a more expensive auto pump when bb is 2-3 months old. don't waste money buying the auto one first if you're not confident that you'll make full use of it now.

sterilizer,
i used the avent sterilizer till bb was abt 6 mths old. tried the traditional method of dumping into hot water at my mum's place cos she didn't have the sterilizer, but my avent parts were "scalded" and deformed at least twice by my husband who was doing the sterilizing. he actually left the fire on and the water was boiling-type of hot when the parts were dumped in. in the end, have to throw away the parts and replace with new ones. quite troublesome.

FA scan,
fetal anomaly scan for my #1 was at NUH. i remembered the sonographer would check for genitals, heart, major organs, fingers, toes and even for the presence of a cleft lip.

kiddo,
i met with two april 07 mummies for lunch last week. one's 5 months plus pregnant and she gained only 0.5kg. another's 7-8 months preg and she's gained only 4 kg. but both their foetuses are fine. so don't worry too much. for me, i'm the opposite. think i'm gaining weight too fast already. i estimate that i've gained close to 5kg already, hahaa!

katherine

My mum keeps telling me to give the BB formula milk. Something abt a lot of BBs in the hosp went into shock &amp; hypodunno what b/c their mummies got no milk &amp; they were starving. Hiaz..

sandwich

Wow u're good! I can imagine myself being so clumsy trying to express BM in 'public' leh. All the fumbling with the pump, taking off the bra, cleaning the area etc..

Katherine and Jul,

I've heard stories like these b4.. i guess besides breastfeeding fully, we also have to b rational. if breast milk is really insufficient have to give bb fomula too lor.. cant possibly let them starve mah..

dont know if i'm right cos i got no experience one lah.. haha

milkway

True. One extreme is that we become too paranoid &amp; keep wanting to feed FM everytime BB just cries. The other extreme is that we are too stubborn &amp; the poor BB is starving &amp; dying of hunger.

RE:feeding BM...

for me when i 1st had my ger...
i told the nurse that i want to rest and let them feed my ger FM during my night stay in the hosp...
while i BF her during the day...

the nurse told me that this is a good arrangement as my ger get BM and the bonding during day time with LC coming to teach us how to latch bb correctly...

after discharge...i request for bottles of FM for my ger incase she did not get enough of my BM...

so dun stress urself...

<font face="Comic sans ms"><font color="0000ff">Good Morning Mummies,

u gals hv switch from e topic of tonic to BM now. Actually I agree that it's gd to feed give our BB BM but dun be too obsessed about it. Use our own instinct but dun give up too easily too.

As for breastpump, I feel you shouldn't rush to get 1 now. U can temp loan from friends den go to he Breastfeeding Mothers' Support Group Singapore after your confinement. They have a wide range of demo pumps for you to try. If u intend to bf for long den I would really suggest u invest in a gd electric dual pump.

I invested in Medela PIS when I had my #1 since I didn't know much &amp; everyone raves about it. But I find it not very effective in clearing my breast. I always have to end up doing manual express with my hand or with my manual pump.

With #2, I bot a Ameda Lactaline &amp; I totally have no regret buying it. My supply was really gd when using this pump, output was @ least 50ml to 80ml more than Medela.

Lots of ppl swear by Medela but it might not work for you. Similarly I have frenz who feel that Ameda dun suit them. Hence best is to try out yourself.</font></font>

cloudme

Yeah I prob will do a similar arrangement also. If BB realy hungry, then just feed FM for a while, until my BM sets in lor.

jenifur

Harlow! Long time no see. Are u still on bedrest?

<font face="Comic sans ms"><font color="0000ff">Cloudme,

Thanks for asking. I've been ok but just that my dad was in the hospital the past 2 weeks. Tt's why I hardly got time to post. How are you? Have you know BB's gender yet?</font>

<font color="aa00aa">Jul_04,

I am not on bedrest anymore but still grounded at home. Btw after I disappear, did anyone take over the role to tabulate all e EDD/info? I dun seem to see it.</font></font>

Back