(2008/10) Oct 2008

jjmom - i am not surprised.

i spoke w a prof in chem at NUS - he told me out of 10 students, 6 are from china, 2sporeans 2 malaysians. But the china students v hungry, ask alot of questions....

for the overseas sudents, housing paid for and education paid for... even paid 3k a mth cos they are PHD students - for research...

i feel i am shortchanged in my own country.

I stayed in an area where i take the private bus out to work, i am the only sporean inside.

so when it comes to Pri school, these foreigners (PRs) are fighting normal school with me cos they dont want pay 5K per sem for the private school.

So what i get 2 votes in balloting compared to them. in fact i shld rank in Q before them.

in my estate, they behaved like they are KING...once i spoke w E in the lift and this young man looked at me w a shock look and asked "are u singaporean"... i laughed and said "ya lah"... we are the minority in the estate..soon in singapore we will be the minority too...

Vanilla,
I agree with you about the china students asking questions. According to my lecturer, these people have a minimum grade to meet which is much higher than what is stated for us. I think it's a B+. If they fall below the grade, they lose everything. Meaning go back immediately and pay back the money.

vanilla,
what i gather from my new & young FT from my coy is not juz PHD students - for research.

but their JC students in a few big city r 'invited' to our Uni with an allowance of $600-800 per mth.

with a bond to work in spore for at least 3yrs.

jjmom and vanilla,
It's true that majority of postgraduate students in NTU/NUS are PRC, Indian, Malaysian than Singaporean. When I first joined, I tot I was in China. This is all because NTU & NUS are not recognize their own PhD degree, strange right? I always wondering why?! That's why no singaporean wanna pursue their postgrad degree at local U, they rather go overseas. Thus these 2 Unis have to get foreign students, and yes they advertised and interviewed them at their country. For Master (by research) and PhD students are paid for their study (no need to pay fees too), so long they can maintain at B+ grade and above. Wow, stipend increased to 3k now? Used to be 2k abt 10 years ago.

phtanus,
what do u mean by 'This is all because NTU & NUS are not recognize their own PhD degree'?

do u mean NTU & NUS PhD degree r not well recognize by companies?

mint,
Yes, if the grade fall below B+, the scholarship will be stopped and they need to pay for the fees. But I find this is not the only reason for them to ask Qs, they are trained to be very "serious" in term of learning. Their knowledge follow them everywhere. Unlike our system here (both Malaysia & Singapore) tend to spoon feed the students, what they learnt is how to pass the exam, study for the exam, so there is high tendency that students forgot everything after the exam.

JJmom,
Nope is recognized by the companies, but yet how many companies need a PhD holder? Is hard for PhD to get a job in industries as compared to those with Master only. So after getting a PhD, most ppl will need to pursue their career in research for academic fields. What I mean is NTU & NUS wont employ their own PhD graduates to do the teaching job, they dun recognize their own degree, unless you go overseas to gain some ex in teaching/reseearch and has to be very outstanding kind!

JJmom,
Funny ho?

Talking abt the education, how many mommies here has contacted school for volunteering work? Sigh...our education system.

phtanus,

sigh...our kids wanna get into primary school also so difficult liao

then our govt goes round inviting others into our Uni, free school fee, free lodging & give allowance somemore *faint*

hi phtanus - i called MOE to clarify.. cos i know if it comes to balloting citizen has 2 votes and PR is 1.

But say if PR and citizen volunteer, they are ranked Phase 2B. Say i dont volunteer cos unlike the PR mums at my estate who are SAHM w maids and do nothing, i work. then i am phase 2C and i ranked below the PR in getting my son to school.

I thanked MOE for clarifying to me before the election.

yup u r rite vanilla.

So wat if u get 2 slips during balloting? Its still based on luck! If the Singaporean is not lucky or damned suay, ur 'rightful' seat may go to the lucky PR who need not serve NS!

I am in phase 2b as I volunteered so I can get the sch of my choice but I m angry for those who cannot volunteer or did not volunteer as they have to depend on luck to get a plc! Why is the system like that? How to feel different and privilege and proud as a Singaporean?

hi nissin... best of all if need balloting and say there are 10 non citizens and me as a citizen..so what if i have 2 votes...chances are high that i am losing that space to a non citizen right?

why my gripes on non citizen? cos i know alot of them are here not for long term.. get their kids studied and then back they go or to states or uk or australia. No NS, no commitment.

I know prs - mostly women cos they married sporeans and their kids are citizens and will go thru what our kids do.. but i live in an estate where 90% are imported PRs at their middle age...full of air cos they take our jobs, push rentals sky high, treat this plc like they are more superior than me..no basic courteosy and have to cheek to say 'my kids have no reason to shoplift -- i give them money!"..when their kids caught red handed stealing....

& after all they got & r still getting, they can tell me in the face that our govt is stupid, it's our govt who give them $ willingly.

& they care less who won in the GE, makes no diff to them.

aside from the hot GE topic...

can I check w the mummies who are watching TVB drama... where are u watching them from ar? now my pps dun hv tvb drama liao... so sad...

purple
my mom is watching a tvb serial drama... but i dunno what it is... can chk for u...

on another note, i wanna rent the korean show Dong Yi but everywhere rented out...
sad.gif

mrs pung - go soju and download..sometimes youtube has .. in eng sub somemore...

purple - my tvb i watch from SCV..but nowadays i try to sleep early (cos i old liao).. and free time is watching this korean show called Secret Garden (really v popular)...

Phantus,
yup, the NIE lecturers don't really recognize our certs. But it's just so contradictory. If don't want to recognize then why offer the course?

Anyway, I had one PRC lecturer last time and the whole class disliked her. The feeling was mutual cos my friend told me her attitude was very different with the other class. My friend did a makeup lesson with the other class. Then during evaluation time she gave the forms to the other class instead of us. So we reciprocated by writing a letter to the coordinator after our course to complain about her. Haha! We were like go back to your country and rot lah.

Purple
I do have a few DVDs of TVB dramas. I don't watch repeats so if you want, I can send them to you. I have several, from Rosy Business 2 to the sushi one, Rippling Blossom & 7 Days something. LMK.

Mummies
I need your advice. For about a month, Jo has been having lots of phlegm. No cough, no running nose. Just phlegm. So she would need to occasionally blow her nose. Worse is when she sleeps, she makes lots of noise because of the phlegm which in turn causes her to sleep badly.

I brought her to the doc before and was given oral ventolin & rhinatolin (??). Said it was allergies. But those medicines don't help at all. I am wondering if I should bring her to another PD. Or should I prepare anything to get rid of the phlegm?

Saxo
Could it b her diet? Is she taking any thing that is causing phlegm?

I think e doc prescribed to her v v strong med. Ventolin for phlegm bcos of allergy?

Think sm Mommies here who are into tcm Mayb able to give u a recipe for making the 川贝 drink that could dispel the phlegm

Saxo,
jelly is right. Ventolin is very strong med. Rhinathiol is for removing phlegm and not a strong med so can continue to give. Maybe like jelly suggested, try tcm?

saxo, can try those sea water nasal spray or flumcil? it is to make the phlegm more watery, easier for kids to get rid of the phlegm themself.

saxo - ventolin is to clear the airways...so unless ur PD suspects Jo has sensitive airways?

for my boy sometimes he has runnin nose and my pd said he is sensitive (think dust in the aircon).. so he say give zytec - cos this one is an antihistamine.

for nose sprays - just learnt from my own doc - there are 2 types.. one is to be used as a decongestation - but only for 5 days and then stop. then there are those u use only if ur mucus aint green/yellow.

does she sleep w a pillow prop up?

saxo, i use the Sterimar nasal spray, can use up to 6 times per day.

Vanilla, are u talking abt the nose drop? cos i know nose drop can only use for 5 days, stop for 3 days then can use for another 5 days.

Saxo

Ingredients (serve 2 cups)

1.1 Apple or chinese coloured pear (梨).
2.1 Chinese tablespoon chuan pei mu (Bulbus Fritillariae Cirrhosae, 川贝母) (about 1/3 liang, or 13 grams)
3.1 ½ Chinese tablespoon north almonds (北杏)
4.1 ½ Chinese tablespoon south almonds (南杏)
5.1 Chinese tablespoon rock sugar(optional)
6.3 bowls water

Method

1.Do not need to remove the skin of apple or pear, cut into half with the core intact.
2.Add the almonds.
3.Add the Chuan Pei
4.Put all ingredients in pot with water, and bring to boil.
5.Once boiled, lower to small fire and simmer for 1/2 hour (very low heat to prevent drying up of contents).
6.Sieve and drink the water. (about 1 ½ bowls left)

hi mummies,
I happened to read a post above about PRs not required to do NS. I would like to clarify that it's not true.

PRs still need to serve NS, and reservist too! I don't know who gave the idea that PR no need to do NS or reservist, but apparently, it's a widespread misconception. I have 'first-hand' information: my brother served NS.

My nephew lives in Malaysia since birth, but unfortunately my uncle applied PRship for him, so he will have to come to Singapore to serve NS when he turns 18.

And it's not true that PRs are not concerned about voting matter. PRs live in Singapore for the majority of their lives, if not for good. The only time and only reason I feel 遗憾 about not being a citizen is not being able to vote for this GE.

Thanks mummies!

mint
Can you imagine Jo finished Rhinathiol within a week and no improvement?

Vanilla
PD we went to has been telling us that Jo has sensitive nose. And previous times, medicine like Ventolin worked. But not this time.

As I said, no cough or running nose, but thick thick mucus in her nose. So whenever she has it, she knows (though we can't see it) and she will ask to blow her nose.

Actually I have this problem too. After a throat infection, I would have lots of thick mucus in me. It won't cause me to cough or cause me to have running nose but once in a while, I need to get rid of this congestion in me by blowing my nose hard.

yah, maybe I will go try Zyrtec (which I have) and perhaps nasal sprays. Failing which, I'll probably consult a TCM too.

breadmum
Thanks for the recipe!

Purple
PM me your address ok?

saxo,

My elder daughter has asthma - she uses Seretide puff every day for prevention of astham attacks and she has Sabutamol (Ventolin) puff as standby.

She is only given Ventolin as oral medicine when the doc diagnoses that she has symptoms of asthma eg. wheezing, that comes along with her flu/cold/cough.

Did you ask the doc why Jo is given Ventolin ie. is she prone to asthma, is she wheezing, is her airway tight etc?

mrspung ( I really love your name, don't you know!)
Okay, now since I have Zyrtec I will try that for a while. Will hunt pharmacies after. Thanks!

afternoon

on leave buy been sick the whole morning... sigh

saxo
zyrtec is v v safe according to my pd and manages sensitive airways quite effectively. i know it can be taken on a daily basis but i think not for our kids...

i dont like my hubby's surname btw, just weird!

Back