(2008/09) Sep 2008

hi zai, what's slt? i think your baby is just taking his time. the important thing is that he understands what you're saying and responds to it. i think 16mths is still early.

thxs Mummies...

good to hear some positive response...
call me kiasu but i got worried when my other gfs' children(younger by a a couple of mths) saying simple words n imitating new words.hehehhehe mayb i shud jus let him take his time ya....Thx!

Xuanting- slt is speech & language therapy

Zai - certain kids are fatser in some areas while slow in others. Some is speech slow but motor skills are superb, while like mine, his speech is superb but motor skill is slower than most kiddos his age by 3-4 months.

It does get you worried, but so long you observe the normality of things , you have nothing to worry about.

When he starts speaking, you'll want him to stop. No harm sending him to slt for an opinion and sometimes, they will teach you some tips or 2 to aid him.

<font color="aa00aa">Zai (whiskers) - Breadmum is right, don't worry too much about it, cos eventually, they all end up yakking too much anyway &amp; u wish u could turn back the clock! (My son is at this stage &amp; sometimes, i feel like stuffing tissue into his mouth, hehe) I think there is no need to go for therapy unless u really suspect something is amiss, or if there is a family history of speech problems.

Meanwhile, to nudge your baby along, just make it a point to talk more to him? Like explain what you are doing, describe what you see, etc. He would be absorbing like a sponge even if he cannot regurgitate the words just yet
happy.gif
</font>

Hello mummies, it has been a long time since I last logged in. Hope all of you are doing well.

Zai,
My boy is exactly like yours, not talking yet but can follow instructions. In fact, since he's #2, even my PD expected him to talk much earlier but she's not concerned. My #1 was still babbling even up to 2YO (much slower than his peers). Suddenly, at 2.5 YO, he "blossomed" and his linguistic ability exploded exponentially. Now he's absolutely chatty and can carry a decently intelligent conversation at 3.5YO.

speaking
im qutie relaxed when it comes to speech. both cy and ch are not that advanced in speech. guess it's just hteir lot in life
happy.gif

think dun have to wrry much unless they are missing developmental milestones

CH hardly talks. she will say papa in her sweetest voice and a sweet smile plying her lip...then her other fav word is apple..then nothing much other than calling for us...she is a girla nd second born so technically should be faster...but heck...she has her whole life to talk...

Good morning mummies - my son's pre-molars (4) is coming out at a go and his gums are swollen and red. he had fever on Sunday and yesterday and refuses to take in any liquids i.e. milk, water, juices.

Anyone any advice? PD says maybe he is just teething after doing a urine swap for him.

Am thinking of giving him cold milk(that we drink) instead of the Formulae, but my parents are against it. Advice?

Hi Breadmum

Recently my son is oso having his pre-molars (3) coming out. Same situation like your son.. he has sore gums but for his case his sore gums somehow worst and become gum infection. We bring him to see doc. Doc advise to give food that are of normal temp (room temp). Food that are acidic like orange, strawberry are to avoid. For my son's case, doc advise us to avoid brushing his teeth just let him drink water after the meal will be fine. Hope this can help you.

breadmum, there's this teething gel called dentinox. it alleviates the pain somewhat but only for a while. u could try giving him some gripe water too. it helps my little one sleep better in the night (would get up screaming and wailing inconsolably on nights i forget). one way to sneak in more fluids i suppose would be to make his food more soupy. i can't remember if some of my friends have tried giving their kids paracetomol but if he's really in a lot of pain, u could check with your pd. 4 at a go must be extremely painful.

thanks xuanting. PD gave some teething gel for ulcers though.

Yup, his food has been soupy state. This morning, i realised all his molars are also popping up, its the top premolars that are redish.

Gosh, looks like by CNY he will have his full set of teeth.

his gum will bleed even without brushing. Doc say bcos of the sore lead to bacteria attack and become infection. Acidic food will not trigger pain but will irritates the gum further.

breadmum,
you can try giving ice-cream. it helps to alleviate. as for FM, make it using room temperature water is ok. My girl has been drinking room temp FM for a long time le. not using hot water. You can also give panadol. for their age, can give 5ml, for the 120mg type. ie the usual Pink liquid panadol from polyclinics.

Hi Mummies
Did not chat here for the longest time. Hope all are doing well.
I delivered my boy in Oct 09. As usual I tried to breastfeed my bb but my supply is always v miserable.
I sold my Medela PIS in Sept 08 to a fellow sep 08 mummy and now decided to sell my 2nd PIS.
Priority to Sept mummy before I post in WTS section.
Anyone interested to get it pls PM me.

Details as follows:
Bought the Medela PIS shoulder bag in Mid Oct 09.
Warranty till Oct 2010 (Comes with Warranty receipt)
Well maintained and very new.
All accessories like Steam bags, Bra pads, Nipple cream sample, Membranes, battery charger still untouched.
Comes with Cooler bag and also ice block.

Actual 4 pcs of Medela milk bottles are used by me therefore I will replace them with
1 pack of 12 bottles (80ml) Medela freezing n storage bottles (Brand new with seal as seen in pic below).
Its good for Collecting Colostrum and u can feed baby directly from these bottles hence no wastage of "liquid gold".
Compatible with medela caps and breast pump.

Letting go $450
Pls PM me
Thanks

3569210.jpg

3569211.jpg

cutie, xuanting and autum - thank you for your advice.
My little one has since recovered, however, he now refuses to drink from cups to bottles and only chooses to be spoonfed. I have bought all kinds of bottles from spout to spoon, to straw types and he refuses to consume his liquids.

Am at wits end and drving me nuts cause his mouth stink due to the lack of water content.

breadmum, am glad to hear that he's recovered. it seems like they all go through a weird phase now and then... just to check - he's not having a stuffy nose right? spoonfeeding all liquids is very tedious and time consuming! perhaps u could try talking to him, hopefully he can be persuaded to stop insisting on being spoon fed?

o by the way, u do need to try ways to smuggle liquids into him in the mean time. fruits, yoghurts, soupy food etc, bits of water now and then.

breadmum probably u can try say mummy drink u drink.. n praise him after he drink from the cup. My son refuse to drink from the bottle after he has gum infection and i uses this method it works.. he will drink after i drink.

Another method is to purposely drink in front of him using adult cup so out of curiosity, he will want to try it out too. hope it helps.

xuanting &amp; cutie - thanks. I have tried your methods and he keeps saying no to me. sigh. But surprisingly by spoonfeeding his milk, his intake has incraesed and has even relented to taking in water.

Most probably i will then, try teaching him to self feed. Looks like he has wean himself off bottles and cups :-(

hey mummies...

thx for ur input regards the speech issue..
i'm relieved to read ur positive n if i cud say motivating inputs...they sure helped me relax a little...
actually am pressured..everyone ard me kept asking y my son is not talking yet at 16mths...n i normally wud ans in a happy npositive tone...but deep in me..i am worried
i do talk to him always....i talked to him like as if he cud reply...:)
anyways..he is begining to imitate words now
doesnt sound rite but at least i noe he is trying..:)

anyways..i dunno y i cant get into this thread always...today is my lucky day that i am able to.

Hi mummies,

it's been a long time since I posted too. But really need help now.

My boy has started refusing to drink his milk since Tuesday afternoon. I just started him on formula last Sunday and he was fine with it. In fact, he even asked for more. So I started giving him Gain IQ once a day.

I have actually been giving him expressed milk through bottle since he was 3 months and he never had issues with it. However on Tuesday noon, he just suddenly rejected his milk. Refuses to even put the bottle teat into his mouth, whether it's formula or breastmilk. He's still eating well. His porridge, biscuits, fruits, plain water and all.. just refuses to drink his milk.

I have resorted to feeding him in the middle of the night. 3 times.. to give him his daily intake of milk.

Sigh.. anyone can shed some light on what's happening?

And yah, I agree.. there's always these weird phases that they go through as and when.

kyrieleson - Have you tried spoon feeding him the milk? I am doing that now for mine and its the only method that works.

I really hope its a phase as its really time consuming. But at lest he drinks and more than his usual intake in fact.

zai
yes it's sometimes very pressurising being parent isnt it? you worry when they arent catching up with their peers, worry when they are sick, worry when they arent tall enough, arent fat enough, arent etcetc...

i believe every child will break his parent's hearts at least once in his life..ok, or rather cause his parents much worries.... maybe we should glad ours come early, later machiam cham!!!!!

Hi breadmum, he drinks when he's asleep.. So I manage to give him about 14 oz for the three night feeds.
Yah it's really exhausting.. But anything just to get milk into him. Spoon feeding.. Hmm maybe I'll ask my mother in law to try that out in the day.

Actually how much milk should our little ones at 17 mths be drinking?

Zai,
Can understand ur worries. My niece just turned 3 and still not talking much. I think what my parents did is to let her practise blowing the whistle everyday and I think it helps. She can talk a few words now like "mum mum", "jiejie", "bye bye". I guess different children are different just have to let them take their time.

kyrieleson/breadmum,
Hope ur little ones is better now.
That time my boi also refuses to drink his milk when his molars started to come out. Hopefully it is only temporary for your case. Yes it's reali time consuming to spoon feed hor, but no choice at least they are still willing to drink.

kyrieleson, my boi now drinking around 660ml per day.

yeah...its really pretty stressful but it's sure a joyful n meaningful journey!

snowyee...ya i let him blow the whistle n bubbles n do some mouth/lungs n wat not games(that i noe of) with him..heheh so i tink he is just taking his own sweet time..:)

Hi snowyee, I do notice his premolars coming out.. But if that's affecting his milk intake, shdn't it also affect his eating of solids? He doesn't want his milk but takes his porridge, biscuits and bread as usual leh..

kyrieleison,
My boi also like urs. Takes his biscuits and porridge and bread as usual that time but only refused milk..guess swallowing food is less painful then sucking milk from the bottle thus should be temporary bah.

Hello mummies, long time never login ...how are you everyone? Chinese New year coming soon, this is 2nd year we celebrate with our little one , yeah!!

i intending to bring baby k to china aaround june. by then he is around 22 month old. i not sure if i could bring food up for him to eat and wonder how mummies u all normall entertain your baby while on the flight. and anything i need to take note like flying and landing

To all Sept thread mummies &amp; babies,

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+2">Happy New Year &amp; Gong Xi Fa Cai!</font></font>
biggrin.gif

Wishing our babies healthy, bright, cheerful and obedient always!
kao_clap.gif

USA Grad Student Research with Singapore Parents - Quick Survey

Thank you to those who have completed my survey - I have already received 25 responses!! I am hoping to get 5 more so I can do my comparison study. Can you share this with other parents you know? I really appreciate the help and am so excited about studying in your country! Here are the details...

I am a graduate student at the University of St. Thomas in the United States (Minnesota), participating in a study abroad course in Singapore at the National Institute of Education. The study is to learn more about couple's relationship as they take on the role of parenthood.

The following people are invited to take the 5-minute survey:
* Have you had your first (and only) child in the past six months to 24 months?
* Do you live with the co-parent?
* Is it the first child for both partners?

To start the survey, please click the link below or copy and paste it into your Internet browser.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=odvEJo1BPt_2bCF3hlE7BK7g_3d_3d

Participation in this survey is completely voluntary and confidential. Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,
Robyn Maley

koras
long time no talk. U can request for baby food from the airlines. Just prepare a small bottle of water and some biscuits to let him munch on when taking off and landing.

U can standby some fun toys too but try not to bring those that are too noisy, lest u irritate the other passengers! Some airlines will provide your kid with complementary toys.

Which part of China are u going? If it's just southern china, then the flight time is less than 4 hrs, still manageable. But if it's northern, it'll be nearly 6 hours. U need to ensure that he is well-covered onboard cos it can get quite cold...request for boardhead seats with bassinet, though I doubt he will stay in there if he is 22 mths. If there is turbulence, u must get him out of the bassinet and strap him onto you or hubby. I strapped my son to me throughout my flight to HK...and count me lucky, cos my son was sleeping to and fro the trip...hehehe

oh, and i meant bulkhead seat....something wrong with my head this afternoon cos of the bloody hot weather today!!! hhahahha

Hi mummies,
I'm new in this thread. Saw lots of good and valuable advice being shared so hope that someone could help me out on this.

BB is 17th mth now and still refuse to chew his food. Tried cutting his veg and meat into smaller cubes but he just swallow them and ended up vomiting later. Gave him biscuit, he just swallow. Thought giving him a whole apple to chew on will work but it just make things worse...

I'm really at my wits end liao...

Hi mummies,
I'm new in this thread. Saw lots of good and valuable advice being shared so hope that someone could help me out on this.

BB is 17th mth now and still refuse to chew his food. Tried cutting his veg and meat into smaller cubes but he just swallow them and ended up vomiting later. Gave him biscuit, he just swallow. Thought giving him a whole apple to chew on will work but it just make things worse...

I'm really at my wits end liao...

Hi mommies,

If interested, pl PM me.

Huggies Ultra - $14.50
Huggies Pull-up - $14.50
Huggies Dry/comfort - $15.00
Collection at Punggol.

Seems like this thread is slowly back to life
:p

Isabelle, try to give him softer food to encourage him to chew?

PRESCHOOL
My son is already in preschool now. Find it a chore to change him to his sch uniform every morning whereas in the past, I just carry him over to infant care in his sleeping attire!! So I have a pre-taste of what it is like when he go to SCH next time. OMG! And the sch uniform is ugly and expensive :S

TCM
Any mummies out there have tried TCM on ur babies when they are sick? My son is down with flu and lead to phlemy cough. PD gave him nebulizer treatment, antibiotics and lately, INHALER to clear his airway! Sianz.. dunno issit the PD KIASI or wat.. Anyone has similar plight?

Hello mummies, super tiring week for me.. K is down with false measles..
sad.gif

Goldfish, yours promoted to childcare already? I intend to let mine stay in the IFC and start only in April or May. (can delay till max 19months).. And yes, need to change into his uniform before going school! Arrh.... which means need more time to get prepared.. Mine charges $104 for 4 sets of uniform (and we need to change twice per day!). So 4 sets only last 2 days.. sigh..

TCM - hmm.. I've tried the one at Kembangan before when K was much much younger. They basically do "massage" on your palm/neck/back. TCM is a long term thingy.. so wont help if it's just 1 or 2 visits... K is always down with flu and phlemy cough.. but phew.. was never nebulizer and inhaler. Perhaps you check with your doc if that's really necessary?

Rach - oh no. I suspect he caught it from little e. Is he better?

Goldfish - my gal friend tried EYS TCM on her 6 months old and she totally believes in it. I guess the rule of thumb is not to mix the medication, for fear of strange allergies

Hi Goldfish,
Thanks for the advice. Will try to give him some soft rice this weekend.

Hi Racheal,
Maybe can try out this thing call 宝婴丹 from 余仁生. It's in powder form. Been giving it to my boy since birth and think it does help in clearing phlegm. I think it also help in relieving his teething itch/pain, as so far he do not have much problem during teething. For his age he should be consuming more of it but I usually pour less than 1/4 of a tsp and dab it around his gum and tongue. I gave him everyday before his lunch and it helps him to poo better too...

Back