(2008/06) June 2008

Hi Roxy,

i just pm u my hp number.
kyler is also enthu when i lured him with sweets-skittles or min M&M.i tried it with point system. but i really dun like him to have sweet stuff b4 bedtime
sad.gif

oh my! sight words! what english course is that? sounds "deep". hehz...ur stressing me ....haha...we just started I can read in March.

zuen: *wave*
yes, it all depends on mood and i have to follow his rule. *faint*

music lesson: i am going for trial lesson at staccato music. kyler has v good music sense. but i am also hestitant to send him becos of cost. i cant imagine the money we will need to spend since my no.2 starting N1 next year!

i may have missed the post. have anyone tried berries?

I am thinking of signing shauna up for jelic, leading to mpm. Initially tot of cma (abacus), but read on forum that abacus concept different from how the school teaches maths and it is as good as not learning if the kid subsequently stops and forgot about the abacus rule.

There is a branch in pioneer mall. Anybody tried mpm or done research on maths enrichment?

Roxy,
I am trying to teach Shauna sight words top but not progressing leh. She is not remembering. I hope she will one day surprise me and read out those sight words that I am introducing.

bonjovi both no1 n 2 are with berries 1 term now. And it's good I see Isaiah Chinese improving alot. He can converse to me in Chinese now n sometimes I hear him sing Chinese nursery rhymes which he tells me taught by berries. Simple sentences like 我的玩具车 he can read cause taught to him by berries. I tried ICR last dec wasn't very impressed by them n withdraw him. I'm with Icreativelearners now

Zuen yes n I haven't pay yet hee think no more slot le. I only try first week sight words teach him le I think I neglect Chinese. Being a parent is really not easy haiz what centre is dat? I Also thot sign up cma but have same concerns as u

Thanks Roxy for the info. Had wanted to sign him for berries but there was no classes that suit our timing then. Now, he is with ICR and doing swimming. So, I am not sure if we will wait till next year. I have pm you my number. Not sure if you have receive it.

was telling my colleagues that if I had to send son to so many course, i need to stop work and be his full time chauffeur!

btw, what do you get your kids to do after school? kyler attends school from 815-1145am. After his nap, he will call and tell me he is bored. There is nothing for him to do!

bonjovi, just sms you....
we try to stretch out the classes so it doesnt affect our weekend, but its pretty tiring

i send them to cc after that... so he attends kindy till 1145 then after that go cc and back home at 6pm.

Hello ladies!
loong time no login here
happy.gif

Zuen,
I just started my boy on Jelic at Parkway branch 2 weeks back. They teach problem solving and also lingusitic skills. Every lesson, they will do 3 different boxes of activity, the kid can choose what he wants to do. So it can be building blocks or forming patterns using rubber bands..i sat in for the trial class. Looks quite fun. :p my son was initially quite excited for the first class but by 2nd class interest like dwindling, kept wanting to come out..jiat lat, haha.

re Mandarin
My boy can converse in simple chinese now but tinged with v strong ang-moh accent. haha. but happy that hes at least interested in learning it.

bonjovi,
lucas handwriting is quite atrocious..:p i think its cos his pencil grip is quite poor so trying to work on that now.

and he's hardly interested in drawing or writng when we are home, always request to watch tv. but i figured he already had a full day in cc, so let him relax a bit, hee
happy.gif

once in a while at home, he will want to do some cutting and stick/paste. i got those kumon activity books. maybe can try and see if kyler is interested in those?

is kyler's swimming 1 to 1? i am intending to sign lucas up for swimming as well. pd told us its good to control asthma, he has slight asthma.
sad.gif

Tera,
1-1 swimming not cheap. Can gather a few kids to learn together. My boy tag with niece son and SIL son. He is the youngest but only $60/4 lesson.

Zuen,
Is Jelic good?

Bonjovi,
What other class did you entrol your boy? only Boy? Mine after nap will play with meimei till I'm back at 530pm. They wake up around 5pm.

Bonjovi,
Cannot, we need to earn $$ to pay for all these enrichment classes. Lol. Shauna no longer naps. She goes to my brö's hse after class and gets to play with her cousins.

Tera,
I am lazy and haven't explore yet when I should. Do jelic and mpm help with maths (add, minus, multiply and divide)?

Connie,
I duno wor. I explore then tell u lah.

roxy, i have sms u. still waiting for your reply. kindy and childcare...wow...that is a lot of $. How much are u paying for the kindy if i may ask.How come not full day childcare?

Tera: yes yes, kyler's gripe is bad. even his meimei can do a much better job. he also hardly want to write or draw. i was full of envy when i saw that his school mates could write their or draw little flowers. when i ask him to do colouring, he just any how did it
sad.gif
yes, cutting and pasting still ok with him. i will try to get the kumon books as suggested. Thank u for the idea.

He is doing one to one swimming. Its taught by a friend who is a swimming instructor. he has not charged us for the past 2 months that we started with him.

Clim: kyler has just started I can read in end Feb. I do not know what they really do there but from the worksheet, i am not impressed. he is also doing swimming.

wow...u get home so early. after dinner at mum's place, we will rush home. Usually can start some game time/ bonding time/ reading time at 830pm. 10pm is lights off.

Kyler's schedule: 1145am-1pm: lunch, bath and tv. 1-2pm: flipping book and trying to sleep. 2-4pm: nap. 4pm-730pm: play,read, dinner and tv. cant play much with meimei who is 16 months old. mei mei tends to want to snatch or destroy his things

zuen: i want to stop work...sob sob...its so crazy at work now. it does not rain, it pours-i already stressed till i lost sleep....hehz...there again, ur right. where to find the $???haha...

Bonjovi,
if u stop work, must review the spending method. I propose but rejected. HB ask me go see my SIL spending method versus ours. haha

I start work at 742 so end early. I went for trial at ICR and look similar to what my boy is doing. So I drop the idea.

Hi All,

My boy also coming 4yrs, can chk now you all let your kids go learn what? Any1 tried berries or ten hsein?

Possible to share with me. Till now i still have not start him on anything. Stress lo...

Bonjovi, Connie,
My hb asks me to quit if I want wor. But he not financial minded person. Seriously, lifestyle has to cut back. The enrichments have to go too. Hmmm.. I think I better work to retain some sanity too. Lol.

Evon,
Shauna is may baby. She's attending phonics, music appreciation and swimming class now. I am looking for maths classes and will probably start Chinese in k1 or 2. Sorry if I sounded too kiasu.. I got frighted by others' kiasuness and started running too. Lol. Actually, Phonics is my only requirement. Swimming and music is for her enjoyment.

Zuen,
Where did u send her for swimming?
My boy enrichment include phonics and maths, 1.5hrs. So far so gd. Will look into chinese later part but considering to send him to di zi xun when he go K2/P1.

At least ur hb said tt, mine not that sweet lor.

Hi Zuen & Clim..

Which enrichment sch u all send your kid to?

Wow headache hor... Need to much money for these extra classes...

Zuen: my hubby has been brain washed by me. In the past, he held strong views that i should work. Now, he said that we should be able to manage. Just a change in lifestyle...hohoho...
well...recently, he said that as long as i can fetch 3K in working part time, we should be fine.

yes, i need to work to keep my sanity but felt extremely guilty for not being able to spend more time with kiddos.

how on earth did u manage to squeze in music too and maths? my sat and sun mornings are already occuppied with phonics and I can read. kyler wants to play golf like papa and i am still thinking where on earth can we find time to do that.

evon: kyler attends I Can Read and swimming.

Bonjovi,
Fetch 3k as part time? How to get? LAst tme my hb said 1k, last yr increased to 2k. Then I better cont FTWM. Y stress my myself doing part time for the 2k, back to do house work n take care kids. Then he only work full time and eng eng enjoy life.

The mandai exec golf will take in kid from 4 yrs old. Most sch take in kids 5 yrs above.

http://www.agc.com.sg/Junior%201%20Golf%20Swing%20Development%20Program.htm

My boy requested but we have not decided.

Zuen,
Have u visited the pioneer mall math class?

Evon,
My boy in summer montessori for Phonic and Maths. Music in yamaha, pte swimming and additional chinese class organise by his sch. He improve a lot and able to recite chinese poems after attend this class.

Summer will organise additional class like art or drama over sch holiday which we can join by paying the fee.

Connie,
My bro lives in condo, so S learns from private instructor @ condo.
I haven't explore the pioneer mall one. They only have mpm for k1, so will probably wait until the end of the year.

Evon,
S is with LCentral for phonics and it is good. Music with yahama, same class with Connie's and roxy's boy.

Bonjovi,
Music on weekday evening, swimming on sat am (popo will bring her) and phonics on sun afternoon. I am thinking of maths and chinese enrichment during weekdays afternoon, then can spend time with her on weekends and not have to rush from class to class.
I also work long hours. Work starts from 7.30pm and hb usually fetch me at 7pm.

Roxy,
I signed up wed 8pm class!

ZuEn,
Possible to PM me shauna's swimming instructor's contact please? TIA
happy.gif

As for Jelic, at this point, no adding, subtracting yet. More of logical thinking, reasoning and problem solving. These are supposed to help develop the brain.

Connie,
yes, for swimming, learn in group will be more worth it. so i am thinking of signing up with APS swim school.

Bonjovi,
I just bought some twist n write pencils from SMH BP. It is supposed to help reinforce the right pencil grip. u might want to take a look, the colours are quite bright so lucas was quite interested.
happy.gif

Your work sounds stressful. But I agree that nowadays its v hard to survive on a single income, given the high cost of living here. For me, i have a different work stress - retrenchment. Quite a lot of my colls have just been asked to go.
sad.gif

Evon,
My boy is attending Jelic (just started) and BazGym. And going to start him on swimming. His school currently offers music and speech and drama enrichment classes. yes, all these enrichment = more $$..haha

Ladies,
Can i check for phonics classes, what do they teach? Does it include teaching them how to read? Is it helpful?

Zuen: I am thinking of arranging for some of the classes to be changed to weekdays too.

where is L central? what is the fee like?

Tera: i bought the pencils too. Kyler told me its only a little bit easier. haha... i am also trying those pencil grip too from popular book store.

yes, work is stressful. but i guess its not any easier for you.

Phonic class:
I do not really know what they teach so far. From his books, it is a lot of beginner penmanship stuff like drawing lines and joining shapes.

There was once i asked him what he do in class. he said the teacher asked them to sleep. I clarified with him and it seem like they taught him the sound of S.

I am really not sure how helpful is that. Does Lucas's childcare already taught him phonics?

bonjovi,
thanks for sharing. yes, his childcare is teaching phonics using letterland. so not sure if phonics class is still helpful.

lol on kyler saying that the teacher asked them to sleep during the class. hehe!
happy.gif

Bonjovi,
Phonic class teaches them to recognise and read phonic sound. Listen and words forming. My boy on 3 letter words eg bag, cat, fan etc. He still can't recognise the middle part.

No drawing of lines and shapes if just phonic class. ICR, got this line drawing.

I bought thos thicker pencil for him to grab cos teacher comment he can't grip well. So she recommend me to buy and try. Now he is better and able to write harder.

Tera: yes. I was shocked to know about the sleeping! Clim: think his phonics picked up mainly from school. They teach a new letter every week. Oh... They have quite a bit on colouring. Children their age are capable of learning a lot of stuff. My friend daughter who is turning five this July can already read bOoks on her own with words like of course, althogether etc...

Tera,
Oops, let you know when I find out. S is taking swimming class with her cousins now so I tag along. Will find out from my SIL and let you know.
happy.gif

I personally find the Phonics class helpful. It reinforces the alphabet and S can recognise all 26 letters now, both upper and lower case and can sound all of them. She can hear the first and last sound but have problem with last sound sometimes. Now, she is moving on to middle sound and the school will start to teach blending after that. By knowing the letter sound, they can blend and can read.
I like LC bcos it is more than reading. The advance classes teach sentence structure and creative writing too.

Bonjovi,
LC has branches at quite a number of places. The one that S is attending is at Jurong East. Similar concept to I Can Read. I chose LC bcos I went to both places for assessment and I dont like the teacher in ICR. Lol.
Per session is 1.5 hrs and cost $40+.
S' phonics homework is made up of colouring and more colouring but colouring is supposed to help with their pencil grip. And we have to pronouce the sound and stuff to help reinforce.

Bonjovi,
Lolz... Teacher asked him to sleep. Too cutez.

Connie,
Middle sound super tough lor.
Sometimes, I also cannot hear or pronouce what is the middle sound.
The teacher was telling us that we should teach the kids "sight" words when we read with them. I tried and so far, S recognises "the" and "she". One word per week and I am teaching her "and" this week. She keeps forgetting but I suppose she will get it if I keep repeating. No wonder mummies become naggy. Lol.

bonjovi,
I bought them from popular. If you get those thicker crayon, might work too.

Zuen,
When you read the story book, did you point 1 word by 1 word?

Last sat, I bring my kids to expo and bought some books. He was suppose to join the alaphabete/numbers. His aunt ask him and he point to the top sentence and create his own pharse like " join the dotted line together " or link a-z something like that. Her aunt ask her direct the sentence nvr have dotted line ba.ba.ba. A bit of laughing, not sure will it have adverse effect. At this age, we don't expect them to read sentense. Only recognise some words.

Zuen: thanks for the sharing. Kyler is improving in terms of recognising the alphabets but i felt it was more of the school's input as they teach a letter each week. He does recognise some letters, mainly upper case.

What surprised me last week was he could read almost 90 percent correct for both the chinese reader and english reader he brought home from school on his own. of course, i think he memorize rather than recognise the words. but, i am still happy. hehz...

btw, how did you know what they taught in class? i cant see any letter thingy in the book that they brought home. i dun see them giving homework too. anyway the ICR payment receipt indicated that the course is called thinking and ...skills. so, maybe i signed him up wrongly or kyler just had not reached the phonic class standard? its 500++ for 1 term. same 1.5 hour.

teaching sight word does it mean we have to read to them stories that have repetitive words? right now, he seems to find those readers boring. it likes those with more storyline.

i am aiming only that he recognise all alphabets this year-upper and lower case. i cant imagine teaching middle sound etc...

yes, i am getting naggy...very naggy...

Clim: thanks alot. i have those crayola think crayons but our dear friend is not interested in colouring
sad.gif

I do point word by word but he is not following my finger. Horever,my gal will point and read to herself in her baby language. I find it super cute.

btw, mummies with 2, how do you cope with teaching 2? my challenge is both want my attendtion. they both want me to read or play with them at the same time.i felt quite sorry that i have neglected my younger one
sad.gif

Bonjovi,
Happen to pop in and saw your previous posts. In my humble opinion,you gotta have a little faith in SJCK. My friend's daughter just graduated and entered MGS this year and is doing very well in primary school. She did not send her to any external English enrichment classes at all. Only the ones offered by SJCK from k1 onwards. I actually spoke to some ex SJCK parents about their child's performance in primary school and many only comment that Mandarin needed more work.

Maybe you want to look into Mandarin classes instead?

Bonjovi,
I read story books for them before bed. Try to play wif them together. But the teaching of alpahabetes and numbers is challenging cos #1 always said out the answer first. I try alternate turns in saying the answer.

Janivity
I notice many sch are weak in mandarin.

Clim,
I think its because Mandarin is not easy to learn...even I struggle when I was in school. Its also due to my family upbringing (we don't speak much mandarin at home) which contributed to the lack of interest in the language.

Connie,
Yes, I do point to the words. The phonics teacher asked us to do so, but I am quite sure that S is not looking at the words but at the pictures. Bcos when I asked her what word am I pointing too, she will go "where"? -.o"

Bonjovi,
In the LC workbook, the first two pages are the 26 alphabets in both upper and lower case. The parents are encouraged to go through frequently with them to help them to recognise the alphebets and their sound. S gets the alphabets and sounds mixed up at times but generally OK.
Her phonics teacher is really kind and actually run a "class" for the parents to experience how a phonic class typical runs and answer questions.

Kyler probably memorises the reader. S does that too. Sometimes word for word for the more interesting story books that we read her. I am equally amazed and indulged in my proud mummy moments at those times.

I am not sure too. Phonics teacher just encourage us to read to them. But I start off with those very common sight words. Cant go wrong, they are everywhere.

Bonjovi,
I outsource the feeding and bathing tasks to my mum and helper. In the night, it is always one to one and hb has to help.
I havent start teaching my younger boy. I supposed they just have to learn how to take turns,. There is only one mummy. The daddy has to entertain one when the other is doing serious work with mummy?

jan: thanks for the reminder and assurance. i am really happy to hear about the positive feedback.i will start him on the chinese programme next year as advised by many friends.

Clim: i read to them every night too. will try to squeeze in some time for play if possible.

Zuen: the teacher in S class is really kind. at least, it helps the parents to also know how to support the child at home. i am sure he probaby memorises them cos there are pictures to help too.

hmm...i will try to read together or sometimes separately if i have more time. gal wants to do everything that bro is doing. When its brother's turn to read, she will carry a book and sandwiched herself in-between us. will throw temper tantrum when u dun give in to her.

Not sure if all 2nd child does the same thing as her. She pushes, bites, pinches gor gor! he hardly do that to her. she already refuses to drink from milk bottle cos gor gor drinks from cup. refused to be fed too! has a mind of her own!

both kiddos want mummy mummy mummy only!

Bonjovi,

Hahaha...am having the same headache. Now it seems that meimei wants everything that Reanne has...Tigers are pretty feisty, aren't they? hahaha

hi all,

My gal is turning 4yrs this May. We're staying at Keppel and would like to hear some feedback on ICR at Harbourfront. My friend's child is attending classes at ICR and rec'd gd feedback from her but would like to hear more from others.

Currently my gal is attending Montessori classes & Violin & Ballet & Chinese Enrichment. Montessori prog is very enriching i should say but we like to engage her with more classes for more exposure.

Btw, anyone knows if it's too early to enrol her for creative writing? She already knows to read simple books so I'm not sure if ICR will be of much help.

Any feedback on Zhangde pri & CHIJ girls?

Bonjovi,
wow, u wean off your boy from bottles? Mine both still on bottles, worst, MIL also give bottles for water in the day time.

Yes, my gal very violent, he will beat, pinch and poke my boy eyes. Most of the time is my boy end up crying. I will dump her to the church sch next yr, think the sch is not doing much discpline ba. I do see my boy changes after he attend the church sch. Prior to that, he was like a gangster. Thats because the cc teacher used him to control the other kids that is out of hand. So my boy thought is ok to be violent at times.

Zuen,
I only read to them on Weekdays. Weekend daddy is back so schedule all goes wrong. Think cause mine age are closer so can read together. But my gal not paying attention most of the times. So inbetween reading need them to do some hi five, say hi to the charater in the book then they will look at the book. Will try to point to the words in future.

Jan: yeah, they are! but also very cute and independent too
happy.gif

Clim: my boy(turning 4 le)only drink from bottle at my mum place in the afternoon. at home, he drinks from cup. Gal (16 months) does the same thing as gor gor.

my gal is over starting school at the church kindergarten next year. your gal sounded so much like my gal. haha...

lourdes: my neighbour sent their son there but did not find it helpful. but, i do not know how long he stayed in the programme. i guess you have to let your child go for the assessment and they should allocate her to a class suitable for her level.

My only feedback from a friend about the 2 schools: Zhangde children look happy. CHIJ children look happier. I understand from a friend who has a gal in CHIJ that the school's emphasis is not so much academic but character building etc. so i guess it all depends on what is important to you. I am likely to spend mine there.

hi bonjovi,

Will be dropping by ICR for assessment next week
happy.gif

I'm skeptical about Zhangde Primary though it's building looks nice. I'm glad to hear good feedback for CHIJ as it's nearer to my place but then more research needed too.

bonjovi,
I'm still not successful to wean bottles. They can drink from cup but nite time still bottle.

zuen,
R u celebrating S bday in sch this mth? The morning only 11 kids in a class.

Clim: i think it is ok. they will switch when they are ready. i tricked them by telling my boy that is a competition to see who can drink his/ her milk first. he gets very excited cos he will always win. he gulps it down while sis uses the straw;)

bonjovi,

i'm in the same shoes as you. my boys are 1 years apart. when i try to do something with elder bro, younger one will disturb. i cannot seems to do much.. the younger one is not yet interested in writing/drawing/ colouring yet.

Back